Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://www.mania.com/scott-directing-alien-prequel_article_116777.html
 Quote:
It's officially a "go" for 20th Century Fox and director Ridley Scott. Thirty years after Alien arrived in theaters, the director is returning to helm a prequel, confirms Variety. After pitching a story to Fox and Scott Free prods., hot new screenwriter Jon Spaihts has been hired to write the script treatment.

While his writing resume is void of released films, Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers lately. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script Shadow 19, Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic Passengers, which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an Alien reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep their franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
...with a sandy vagina:
  • Fox has announced that instead of making a much-talked about Alien movie, the project has been reconfigured as an original sci-fi movie, titled Prometheus, with Scott still at the helm and with Noomi Rapace to star.

Showing how serious it is about the movie, Fox has set a March 9, 2012 release date.

Damon Lindelof is working together with Scott on the new script, which was originally written by Jon Spaihts and based on an idea by Scott. It was under Lindelof that the project morphed into something more original.

“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place,” said Scott in a statement. “The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.”

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots,” stated Lindelof. “I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects.”

Fox and Scott have been working on an Alien prequel for the last two years and began reading and testing actors for the project late last summer. Rapace, best known for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, was on the list of actors that also included Gemma Arteron, Charlize Theron, Michelle Yeoh, Michael Fassbender and James Franco, all of whom swirled around it in various forms. Time will tell which ones will stick with it, although both Fassbender and Theron were being seriously considered for Universal’s Snow White project.

Prometheus is actually a bold move for Fox as it means leaving behind a project that has a strong brand and legacy behind it. You’ve got to wonder what kind of conversations Scott had with the studio to persuade them to go with it.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I wonder if this was Scott's idea from the start. I was surprised they got him to start a prequel to begin with.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah.