RKMBs
Posted By: Rob The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 8:48 PM

The story of pro quarterback Paul Crewe (Sandler) and former college champion and coach Nate Scarboro (Reynolds), who are doing time in the same prison. Asked to put together a team of inmates to take on the guards, Crewe enlists the help of Scarboro to coach the inmates to victory in a football game "fixed" to turn out quite another way.
Posted By: Kaz Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 9:10 PM
What's with that stupid face Sandler always makes?
Posted By: rex Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 9:17 PM
Thats his normal face.
Posted By: Kaz Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 9:47 PM
Seriously, who's buying Adam Sandler as anything in the NFL other than a place kicker?
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 10:20 PM
Waterboy had some humorous moments...
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 10:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to it. I like Sandler, Rock, Reynolds and Stone Cold is in it too. It may be a remake and it may be cheeseball but it will be my guilty pleasure.
Posted By: Kaz Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 10:52 PM
Do you suggest I watch it?
Posted By: Papa Smurf Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 11:02 PM
He smurfly suggests it!
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-26 11:05 PM
Quote:

Kaz said:
Do you suggest I watch it?

I strongly suggest it!
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-27 6:45 AM
How long until they remake Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run?
Posted By: PrincessElisa Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-27 10:20 AM
I don't know bout this one.....I liked Happy Gilmore but thats about it as far as Adam Sandler movies go......his stuff on SNL was so-so...whereas the stuff with David Spade and Chris Farley totally rocked.....

And he does have the same stupid face on ALL the movie posters....
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-27 10:35 AM
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:
I don't know bout this one.....I liked Happy Gilmore but thats about it as far as Adam Sandler movies go......his stuff on SNL was so-so...whereas the stuff with David Spade and Chris Farley totally rocked.....

And he does have the same stupid face on ALL the movie posters....

And Adam Sandler makes MEGA bucks with that same stupid face, too!
Posted By: Jeff Gannon Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-27 11:32 AM
I think the appeal of Sandler's persona is that you can be an uncharismatic nobody with no looks to speak of and not much intellect but with lots of frat boy humour and still be famous, come out on top of any situation and make it with hot chicks. And keep your inner "dude" intact thru it all.

It's a pleasant fantasy for the South Park set.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-27 1:19 PM
I hate remakes.
Posted By: PrincessElisa Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-28 10:43 PM
So, was the movie any good?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-05-29 3:07 AM
The Longest Yard is one of my all time favourite films even though American football is of little interest to me.
The British remake (Mean Machine starring Vinnie Jones) a few years ago was quite good,but somehow it didnt work with football (soccer) because the game isnt as stop-start as the American variety.
This new version to me seems pretty stupid purely because Sandler does not,in my opinion,look like someone who was a star quarterback.
I'm also surprised that Reynolds would be involved in the remake,but then again Caine wasnt against being in the remake of Get Carter,so I shouldnt be that surprised I spose.

All that said,as a fan of the original,I will at least watch the new version before I pass judgment as sometimes the films you expect least from,are the ones that entertain you most!
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-06-02 4:43 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
The Longest Yard is one of my all time favourite films ...

This new version to me seems pretty stupid purely because Sandler does not,in my opinion,look like someone who was a star quarterback.

I'm also surprised that Reynolds would be involved in the remake...

...as a fan of the original,I will at least watch the new version before I pass judgment as sometimes the films you expect least from,are the ones that entertain you most!

Posted By: Pariah Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-06-02 5:25 AM
Huh! I thought Sandler was ripping off the English movie "Mean Machine". I didn'a know of a previous American football movie.

Still, Sandler's movies suck.
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-06-02 5:26 AM
what did he say?
Posted By: rex Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-06-02 5:28 AM
He wants to stick his longest yard into you.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-06-02 6:06 AM
Quote:

rex said:

Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-09-30 9:55 PM
Ok,this just hit the cinemas here but of course it works out better to order the DVD from the USA!

I gotta say this is pretty damn hilarious in places.
Thing is though,most of the funny moments do not belong to Sandler or Rock,in fact they are quite possibly the most boring characters in the film.

I think my favourite moments in the film have to be one of the cons being caught on film with one of the lady-men,and Kevin Nash after his steroids are switched for estrogen.

Ok,so I know where the story is going ( I was surprised though when caretaker was killed as I thought they might do a switch like the Brit version did when they introduced the old guy ),and overall the film is nowhere near a patch on the original,but I like the fact it has its own distinct identity while staying true to the original at the same time.
This one is more comedy than the original,but thats no bad thing.
One thing to say is this film could possibly appeal to people who dont normally like Sandler films (I'm not a huge fan myself) as this film is not reliant on him,and he actually plays this one pretty straight without his usual comedy style.

Also of interest to fans of the original is the fact that Burt Reynolds is not the only actor from the classic version to make an appearance.
Ed Lauter makes a very brief cameo as well.

This movie is not gonna win any awards but it is highly enjoyable,and that to me,is the most important thing!
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:34 AM
I bought it Tuesday.....I may watch it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:34 AM
Same here
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:37 AM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

rex said:

we gotts to get Jerry back!
Posted By: PCG342 Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:48 AM
Yeah. We do.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:58 AM
Quote:

PJP said:
I bought it Tuesday.....I may watch it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Biggest laugh out loud moment was when Kevin Nash starts talking about his nipples!
Posted By: PJP Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 3:00 AM
heh
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 3:06 AM
Biggest let down is the soundtrack CD.
While watching the film,I thought "Hey,thats a great soundtrack" with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd,Jet,CCR & AC/DC but absolutely none of these are on the CD.
Its all rap music,which is weird as I barely remember any rap in the film,in fact all the key moments are dominated by the rock tunes!

I think the film makers realised what music was more impactful,but knew what music has a better chance of selling to kids was the rap stuff!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 3:08 AM
This guy is fucking huge,and I just found out he is a wrestler as well.

Posted By: Animalman Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 4:37 AM
...but the original wasn't a comedy, right?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 4:47 AM
It was a drama with comedic elements!
This is a comedy with dramatic elements!

I believe the original is often listed as a comedy!
Posted By: TK-069 Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 6:01 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
This guy is fucking huge,and I just found out he is a wrestler as well.

El Gigante aka Giant Gonzales. Duh...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-01 2:59 PM
No!
Giant Singh/Dalip Singh

Giant Gonzales/Jorge Gonzales
Posted By: JQ Re: The Longest Yard - 2005-10-02 9:11 AM
SHUT THE FUCK UP
© RKMBs