RKMBs
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-13 11:40 PM
No idea how or why.

http://www.iesb.net/video/Superman_Returns_Teaser_Trailer.mov
not bad. would've preferred Welling and a Smallville movie thought.
That's probably because you're gay.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 3:05 AM
I really hope John Williams is doing the music score for this one.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 3:11 AM
He is. Singer said it woundn't be a superman movie without the John Williams score.
Its one of the few things I think Singer is doing right with this movie.
The orchestral bits at the end of the trailer sound like variations of the Superman theme.

Singer said he tried using the Lois theme, but it made the scene look too corny.
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 3:30 AM
this... actually... reminds me of the batman begins trailer.

bruce falling in to the cave

the "where'd you go" notion of bruce leaving and searching (metaphorically) within

being the last of the waynes, but not alone (alfred)

rooftop shot of what looks like a spotlight/batsignal

hero flying up (instead of down) towards the camera for the quick money shot.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 3:39 AM
Kevin Spacey may end up being the only thing going for this one.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 3:57 AM
Quote:

Animalman said:
Kevin Spacey may end up being the only thing going for this one.

thats the only other thing I like about this movie so far.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 4:10 AM
I was always in favor of casting an unknown as Superman(I was saying that years ago, actually), so I suppose I can't complain about this Routh guy.

I can and will complain about Kate Bosworth, though. That casting pretty much guaranteed that the long streak of worthless lead female characters in comic book movies won't be broken.
I actually don't give a shit about the John Williams score. It's a mistake to try and craft this movie to 25 year old films, they should've started from scratch.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 11:23 AM
My take so far?

meh.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 12:42 PM
kevin spacey is a hack of an actor. also i dont really believe anyone looks forward to a movie by who they picked to do the score. i think rex is trying to sounds artsy fartsy.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 4:51 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I actually don't give a shit about the John Williams score. It's a mistake to try and craft this movie to 25 year old films, they should've started from scratch.

Agreed. Every generation needs their Superman. The Reeve/Donner Superman movie was my generation's. Let's give the new generation their Superman and stop trying to relive our childhood.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 4:52 PM
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
kevin spacey is a hack of an actor. also i dont really believe anyone looks forward to a movie by who they picked to do the score. i think rex is trying to sounds artsy fartsy.

bsams said it, so you know it's true.
Posted By: unrestrained id Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 5:23 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed. Every generation needs their Superman. The Reeve/Donner Superman movie was my generation's. Let's give the new generation their Superman and stop trying to relive our childhood.

Agreed and agreed.

Hey I actually liked the '70's King Kong film. Should I be pissed that Peter Jackson didn't simply continue it? Of course not.... Same with Superman. Who gives a fuck if we may have to revisit the origin. I actually think that's a GOOD THING. Cheesy glitter Logans Run Krypton I can do without. A modern completely different CGI Krypton would rule! As it stands now though, we still have Brando as Jor-El which means we still have cheesy '70's glitter Krypton.

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh??

How 'bout that costume?
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 5:28 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Posted By: unrestrained id Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 5:35 PM
On the plus side of that trailer, that "S" shield at the very end looked incredible! There was something almost Fleisher about it. The very dark blue background, the very bright red "S". It looked completely Golden Age!

So the obvious question is why didn't the actual costume in the trailer resemble the color scheme of the logo?
Posted By: klinton Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 6:22 PM
I really, really don't understand all the bitching here. Batman has a new costume in every fucking movie...and people rave about that shit. But this Superman costume (which has all of the essential elements) is a fucking problem?

The suit looks great, the trailer looks great (really, this is the first time Superman has looked interesting in years)....What the fuck is everyone whining about?
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-14 8:24 PM
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed and agreed.

{SNIP}

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh?? How 'bout that costume?

wull this is why there isn't new music... cuz any time something differs from the original, there's controversy and people flip out.

wanna go back to the beyonce-as-lois years? we're not that far from them.

its lose-lose.

i prefer the 70s costume, but im fine with this one. i loved the 70s music, so im thrilled they're keeping it. im fine with the 70s movies being the origin, so i'm glad they're moving on with new stories here.

yeah, i have my little "i wish they changed this" bits about the movie, just as i did with batman begins. but, what the fuck, it still looks pretty good overall from what little i've seen.

and you know you're sure as fuck gonna go see it in theaters!
Posted By: unrestrained id Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 5:09 AM
True. that goes without saying. And I feel that it may yet actually be a pretty good flick.

The points that were made previously about wanting it to not simply be a continuation of the '70's movies I think are valid ones. for all the reasons given already PLUS I think the most important one is that Brandon Routh already is going to be in Christopher Reeves shadow. That's unavoidable I beleive.

Now however, we've had other Supermen come after Reeve, most notably Tom Welling and Dean Cain. They managed pretty well in their own right based on the fact that they were TV based shows AND that they wearn't in any way connected to the Superman films.

Now given the fact that Routh already has mixed reaction out there, I can't for the life of me see the logic of further handicapping him and setting him up for comparisons to Reeve, comparisons that I don't think ANYONE can live up to, by saying that no, he's not ANOTHER Superman, but he's THE SAME EXACT SUPERMAN. HE'S CHRISTOPHER REEVE'S SUPERMAN! He's the same guy from the 70's-80's movies!

I just think that's putting a overly great burden on his shoulders. A burden that IMO was completely unnecessary. And one that I have some doubts that he can rise above.

Of course though, it remains to be seen...

As it stands, the cinematography (apart from that Supes/Lois rooftop scene which looks like a total soundstage) looks exquisite. Details like the costume's "S" shield and the low cut briefs are minor annoyances.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 6:42 AM
Eeets not ah traylah!!

It's just a montage of Brian's online blogs. Don't be fooled.
I was told it wasn't official when I got the link, but I don't see how that's relevant. It may not be played in theatres but it's still made from actual movie material.
Posted By: Fused Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 7:34 AM
I'm stoked about this shit. I dont have the colective 8 month boner that we all did for Batman Begins but I'm still lookin forward to seeing Superman beat the shit outta stuff in killer 21st century CGI. Gawdamn, people.
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Agreed and agreed.

{SNIP}

By the by, is it now officilly too late to reconsider Brandon Routh?? How 'bout that costume?

wull this is why there isn't new music... cuz any time something differs from the original, there's controversy and people flip out.

wanna go back to the beyonce-as-lois years? we're not that far from them.

its lose-lose.

i prefer the 70s costume, but im fine with this one. i loved the 70s music, so im thrilled they're keeping it. im fine with the 70s movies being the origin, so i'm glad they're moving on with new stories here.

yeah, i have my little "i wish they changed this" bits about the movie, just as i did with batman begins. but, what the fuck, it still looks pretty good overall from what little i've seen.

and you know you're sure as fuck gonna go see it in theaters!

you're talking about going from one extreme to the other.
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies (that really aren't so impressive when put up against current films) or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.
they can do a Superman story that is still fresh and standalone.
Quote:

klinton said:
I really, really don't understand all the bitching here. Batman has a new costume in every fucking movie...and people rave about that shit. But this Superman costume (which has all of the essential elements) is a fucking problem?

The suit looks great, the trailer looks great (really, this is the first time Superman has looked interesting in years)....What the fuck is everyone whining about?

it's one of those odd things. Batman hanges his costume all the time and the changes last for quite awhile, but the second they add black to Superman's S then it's only a matter of months before it reverts back to the original.
They've said it's not as much as sequel as it is only vaguely connected to the other movies. So, if you want, you can connect em in your mind, and if the connection annoys you for some reason, you can ignore it and still enjoy the movie as a standalone flick. I doubt they'll be referencing specific moments of the old movies, plus connection or not it's still clearly a new interpretation of the character, and in the end that's what matters.
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 5:50 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies -- or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.

yer arguing against what, now?

as far as i can tell, this upcoming movie acknowledges the originals, even uses similar elements, but stands alone and moves forward. i see no problem with that. i actually think thats the right way to do it.

this year's star wars movie wrapped up a nearly 30 year old storyline, all while being its own film. james bond movies use similar tuxes adn tunes throughout 40+ years of history.
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
from being a direct follow up to 25 year old movies -- or throwing out all the main elements and tweaking every little thing about the story.

yer arguing against what, now?

as far as i can tell, this upcoming movie acknowledges the originals, even uses similar elements, but stands alone and moves forward. i see no problem with that. i actually think thats the right way to do it.

this year's star wars movie wrapped up a nearly 30 year old storyline, all while being its own film. james bond movies use similar tuxes adn tunes throughout 40+ years of history.

A. Star Wars is supposed to be a continuing story.
B. JamesBond movies are self-contained for the most part.

Singer has said this film is essentially his "Superman III" a direct sequel to the first two Reeves films. THey're even using footage of Brando as Jor-El.
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 6:21 PM
but why can't this be a continuing story? why can't there be similar elements?

those concepts don't, by default or on their own, take away from a new film.
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
but why can't this be a continuing story? why can't there be similar elements?

those concepts don't, by default or on their own, take away from a new film.

The base elements of Superman being the same are fine (needed in fact), but if this is a direct sequel as Singer's stated then that raises the problem for younger viewers who don't really remember the Reeves movies.
Are we going to have Lois say Superman left shortly after defeating Zod (and vowing to the President he would never leave again)?
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-09-15 7:12 PM
well, granted, this is all speculation, but...

as far as i know, there's nothing making the first two movies necessary. if you've seen'em, great. if not, no biggie. all of the major elements needed to be driven home can be accessed via "flashbacks" or various retellings and sum-ups.

similarly, seeing the first movie wasn't necessary to enjoy and understand the second.
Posted By: Brian Jonopolus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-10 10:10 PM
The official website is up. And quite frankly, it's awesome...for something put together in your 11th grade computer class. Hopefully it'll get some kick-ass features in the coming months. Also, the teaser trailer will be attached to the new Harry Potter. So there. Thanks to the ever-vigilent folks at superherohype.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-11 1:57 AM
link please.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-11 2:01 AM
Its impossible to link to your ass through the internet.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-11 2:31 AM
The official site:

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

Story:

Quote:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Directed by Bryan Singer (X2: X-Men United, X-Men, The Usual Suspects), SUPERMAN RETURNS stars newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth (Beyond the Sea, Blue Crush), James Marsden (X2: X-Men United, The Notebook), Frank Langella (HBO's Unscripted), Academy Award-winner Eva Marie Saint (North By Northwest), Parker Posey (Best in Show), Sam Huntington (Detroit Rock City), Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle) and Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey (Beyond the Sea, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects).
Warner Bros. Pictures presents a Jon Peters production in association with Bad Hat Harry Productions, a Bryan Singer film, Superman Returns, starring BRANDON ROUTH, KATE BOSWORTH, JAMES MARSDEN, FRANK LANGELLA, EVA MARIE SAINT, PARKER POSEY, SAM HUNTINGTON, KAL PENN and KEVIN SPACEY. Directed by BRYAN SINGER, the film is produced by JON PETERS, BRYAN SINGER and GILBERT ADLER. The executive producer is CHRIS LEE. The co-producer is STEPHEN JONES. The screenplay is by MICHAEL DOUGHERTY & DAN HARRIS, and the story is by BRYAN SINGER and MICHAEL DOUGHERTY & DAN HARRIS. The director of photography is NEWTON THOMAS SIGEL A.S.C.; the production designer is GUY DYAS; the film is edited by JOHN OTTMAN and ELLIOT GRAHAM; the costume designer is LOUISE MINGENBACH; and the music is by JOHN OTTMAN. The film is based upon Superman characters created by JERRY SIEGEL & JOE SHUSTER and published by DC Comics.

Superman Returns will be released on June 30, 2006 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Its also got some wallpapers and shit like that, no trailer yet.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-11 9:55 AM
Dear God,
Please let this movie not suck.
Your Pal,
Jeremy
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-16 10:37 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=33303

How Superman Resurrects Brando

Bryan Singer, producer-director of the upcoming Superman Returns, told SCI FI Wire that he used every trick in the book to resurrect the late Marlon Brando and include him in the film as Jor-El. Brando played the role of Superman's father in director Richard Donner's original 1978 Superman movie. He died in July 2004 at the age of 80.

To recreate Brando's version of the character in his new Superman movie, Singer said in an interview that he used "a combination of unused footage, [used] footage and recreated footage. You won't necessarily see Marlon Brando walking around or reanimated in a conventional sense, but you will hear [dialogue] that you have heard before [and] takes that you haven't heard before and a rendering that is completely new."

Singer added that the Brando sequences are being created with "very raw material" culled from a variety of sources and locales. "A lot of the stuff was all over the place," he said. "A lot of the stuff was in vaults in New York [and] in Los Angeles. I got ahold of Brando's London [automated dialogue replacement, or looping,] session. I had very interesting outtakes, which are something to see. So there's a lot of material. It's great [also] to hear ... Dick's [Donner's] voice on the ADR sessions, on the raw material. There are a few really funny moments—we called them 'Brando bloopers'—where you hear Dick and [an uncredited writer] Tom Mankiewicz in the background. It's cool." Superman Returns will open nationwide on June 30, 2006.

Meanwhile, Warner Brothers announced that the teaser trailer for Superman Returns will debut during The WB's Smallville, airing at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Nov. 17, and will hit theaters in select screenings of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which opens Nov. 18.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-16 10:38 PM
I think they should have a Marlon Brando VS Christopher Reeve battle. All in CGI. Then Bryan Singer should go and piss their graves.
the reeve films weren't that great, even the first one is kind of stupid.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-17 12:19 AM
I always hated the "I'm gonna reverse the earths rotation and turn back time" thing. Other than that it was good.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-17 12:26 AM
The first movie was brilliant. It reflected the comic book of that time so well. Also, in the original script it was supposed to be that Superman was moving so fast that he broke the light barrier and was traveling through time, seeing event move in reverse. I think the FX guys just didn't know how to pull it off.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-17 12:29 AM
Thats a little better, but still retarded.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 5:43 AM
The trailer is online:

http://mfile.akamai.com/12917/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2005/1118/5350387.200k.asx

It nearly brought tears to my eyes, hearing Brando's speech as Jor-El and that perfectly paced John Williams score.

I am now officially psyched for this movie.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 5:48 AM
sounds good looks good. Hopefully it will live up to the bar Batman Begins set for DC movies. Oh and i loved them using marlon brando's speech too.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 5:58 AM
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

Its up at the official site.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:13 AM
It looked good, but seemed more like a teaser than a trailer - I was expecting a little more of the movie, something along the lines of what they showed us for BB. Liked Brando, but the music gave me chills!
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:15 AM
Quote:

harleykwin said:
but seemed more like a teaser than a trailer

(psst-look at the title of this thread)
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:21 AM
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
but seemed more like a teaser than a trailer

(psst-look at the title of this thread)

It says "trailer" up there!
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:24 AM
Really? 'Cuz I read "teaser trailer"...
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:26 AM
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:

Et tu, Chewy?
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:30 AM
You know Harley can't read without her meds.

Plus, this is the GA Harleykwin from Earth-Alpha of Hypertimed Multverse Zero...
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:32 AM
GA = golden age
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:33 AM
Quote:

TK-069 said:

Plus, this is the GA Harleykwin from Earth-Alpha of Hypertimed Multverse Zero...

is that the one you seeded......oh and is the TK from that Earth the one that used to post good pics?
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:34 AM
don't mind them harley.....they are just jealous of your avatar.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:35 AM
Quote:

rex said:
GA = golden age

I KNOW!!!

I only forgot that one time!
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:37 AM
Quote:

TK-069 said:

Oh, leave me outta this crisis bullshit DC is now doing...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:37 AM
Just watched the trailer..........it was boring!
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:39 AM
Quote:

PJP said:
don't mind them harley.....they are just jealous of your avatar.

Posted By: TK-069 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:41 AM
Quote:

PJP said:
is that the one you seeded......oh and is the TK from that Earth the one that used to post good pics?

If by "seeded" you mean that I busted nut on and in their Earth women, then YES... I've seeded it.

That TK was absorbed into the Speed Force after masturbating too fast one night and rematerialized in another hyper-multiverse as Stareena's sentient third nipple...
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:49 AM
Quote:

TK-069 said:
Quote:

PJP said:

If by "seeded" you mean that I busted nut on and in their Earth women, then YES... I've seeded it.

That TK was absorbed into the Speed Force after masturbating too fast one night and rematerialized in another hyper-multiverse as Stareena's sentient third nipple...

That's a shitty re-boot - who wrote it? Winnick? Byrne?
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:50 AM
LOEB, of course...
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:54 AM
Quote:

TK-069 said:
LOEB, of course...

Sadly, that actually makes sense...
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:58 AM
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:02 AM
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:

Et tu, Chewy?

Uh... love you!

Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:13 AM
Sure, JQ, sure...
Posted By: theory9 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:43 AM
LOL
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 8:05 AM
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

rex said:
GA = golden age

I KNOW!!!

I only forgot that one time!

i'm not.
using 25 year old music, making it a sequel to a 25 year old film, and using the edited footage of a dead actor.

it seems cheesy and more fanwank than anything else.
I'm very against the idea of inserting footage of dead actors into modern film.
It was one thing for the historical setting of Forrest Gump, but for Superman? There are plenty of great older actors who could've played the role.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 8:31 AM
I agree with r3x's last two posts.

I need another beer.
Posted By: Iroc Camaro Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 9:30 AM
Still don't like Brandon Routh as Supes.
Posted By: Iroc Camaro Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 9:31 AM
Routh sucks balls.-
Posted By: crazy drunk reax Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 9:33 AM
just like your avatar.......
Posted By: Anonymous One Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:36 AM
So Superman is Jesus now?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 5:26 PM
But does he have abs like Brian A.Ortiz?
Posted By: Bianca Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:12 PM
I thought they were just using voice tracks of Brando for Jor-El...?
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:13 PM
Quote:

Anonymous One said:
So Superman is Jesus now?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I mean, the comparison has always been there, but it's made very blunt here. I'm surprised more people haven't had a problem with it.

I agree with r3x about the Brando thing. I don't mind using John Williams again at all (though there are other composers that are just as qualified, in my opinion), but this is supposed to be a new movie for a new generation.

Overall, I'm not all that impressed by the trailer (I wasn't impressed by the early BB trailers either). We don't see footage that wasn't available on the internet before. All we get is Brandon's voiceover, a fraction of the new score, and editing that's rather blah--not enough yet to make me want to see the movie.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:16 PM
You also dont see much of Superman himself,almost like they are too embarassed to show him for fear it will put people off.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:17 PM
Thats becuase his costume looks like shit.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:23 PM
Please tell me this isnt the new Superman

BWAH HA HA!
Skinny Superman!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 6:26 PM
Superman went metrosexual.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:02 PM
His cape doubles as a fruit roll-up.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:47 PM

vs

I know who money would be on!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 7:49 PM
Do I love Routh's costume? No. I wish they'd gone with the same costume design as Reeve had.

However, I didnt love Bale's Batsuit either.

But I could live with both. As long as the plot and acting are okay.
i just hope its as over rated as the Reeve films.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 9:50 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Do I love Routh's costume? No. I wish they'd gone with the same costume design as Reeve had.

However, I didnt love Bale's Batsuit either.

But I could live with both. As long as the plot and acting are okay.

My problem with Superman isnt the costume per se,its the fact that the guy just does not have the physical prescence Superman should have,the Batman costume gave Bale that prescence.
Both Reeve & Cain looked better physically than this new guy,but even they didnt look like Superman should be!
I dont think the actor needs to be Schwarzenegger built,but he needs to be at least as built as someone like Van Damme or a heavyweight pro wrestler!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 9:58 PM
Why do you need big muscles if you're an alien?
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:15 PM
so you don't look anorexic.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:19 PM
He doesn't look anorexic. He looks like a swimmer or gymnast.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:23 PM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

vs

I know who money would be on!

Yeah. That kinda sums it up right there.

But I still liked the teaser.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:29 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
He doesn't look anorexic. He looks like a swimmer or gymnast.

no, he looks anorexic.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:31 PM
What can I say? You've clearly studied his anatomy more intently than I have.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:35 PM
you don't have to study it to see he's a beanpole. he turns sideways, you can't see him. that's not good for a Superman.
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:48 PM
I didn't care for the trailer that much.

It was too dark. If I want dark, I'll watch Batman Begins. I don't care for the whole Marlon Brando thing either. He's dead. He's from the old movies. Its time to move on. I really wanted to see how Kevin Spacey looked as Lex Luthor.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:54 PM
Quote:

Grimm said:
you don't have to study it to see he's a beanpole. he turns sideways, you can't see him. that's not good for a Superman.

That doesn't cover up the fact that you were still checking him out.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 10:58 PM
you're the one giggling like a schoolgirl everytime his pic comes up on the teaser trailer.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 11:04 PM
You're confusing Superman and Sean Connery again.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 11:06 PM
dammit, that always happens!
Posted By: rex Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 11:44 PM
Am I going to have to move this thread to the generic gay issues thread?
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 11:53 PM
why don't you move it to the sock thread?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-18 11:53 PM
You have your own thread?
Posted By: Danny Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-19 10:54 AM
Did nobody else find the teaser stupidly small and difficult to watch? I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking at half the time.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-19 4:10 PM
You should be used to that by now!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-11-20 1:00 AM
me too
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2005-12-23 6:14 PM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:13 AM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:24 AM
Okay....that poster is bad. I mean, come on. It's one thing to homage the Donner movies. It's another to outright remake them.

If nothing else, the tag line "Look to the sky...again" is pretty lame. And the little thumbnail pics of the actors kill any dramatic effect it should have.

Worst. Poster. Evar.
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:29 AM
the color blur is also off.

is superman running from space to earth?
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:30 AM
incidentally, i really wished this wasn't the official name. superman returns AND batman returns? (oddly preceding "begins")

regardless, i hadn't seen this before:

Quote:

the G-man said:

kinduva cool, fleischer quality to it.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:51 AM
That's what Singer is out for Bobo. That and the classic Reeves serials.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 8:58 AM
At least in this case "Superman Returns" actually fits with the plot. Superman returns to Earth after exploring the remains of Krypton.

I am very, very slowly beginning to build some hope in this. X-Men 3, too. I know I'm usually pretty pessimistic about comic book movies, but I'm trying on this one. The trailer does kind of pander to the old Superman film fans(not that's necessarily a bad thing; it certainly brings back good childhood memories), but hopefully the actual movie itself will try to create its own identity.

I have three hopes:

1.That this Luthor acts more like the Luthor of modern comics and the animated show than the Luthor of the older comics and original Superman movies(as great as Hackman is, his version of the character is outdated and corny).

2.That Singer gives the film a tone similar to the one he gave X-Men, and stays as far away as possible from the Spiderman blueprint.

3.That Kate Bosworth(who, incidentally, has gotten significantly uglier since her Blue Crush days) is on screen only to the extent necessary to establish her character exists.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 9:16 AM
I have really high hopes for X3, it looks spectacular. Superman Returns has a very large scope to it. I'm amazed at how much money has gone into the movie. I admit I do have my doubts about this. I question Kate Bosworth's acting ability. I pray she doesn't end up being just like Katie Holmes in Batman Begins (forced dialogue, annoying to watch). I want her Lois Lane to really matter. I've read about Routh's appearances at conventions, those that saw him and met him all feel he's going to be good. So I don't doubt that. It's the story I'm fearful of the most. Why would Superman leave? And for five years to be in space? The S also still bothers me a little, though I have let it grow on me. It took so long for a new Superman movie to get off the ground that it just has to do well.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 9:22 AM
Quote:

Animalman said:

1.That this Luthor acts more like the Luthor of modern comics and the animated show than the Luthor of the older comics and original Superman movies(as great as Hackman is, his version of the character is outdated and corny).

Hackman's version of Luthor was bad. Flat out bad. Watch how, in the first movie, Lex comes to the conclusion of the existence of Kryptonite. Leap of logic much? Of course that's also the writing to blame. The Luthor theme didn't help with passing him off as a serious villain.

Spacey however, he's got the evil look. He'll pull it off just as well (if not better) than Rosenbaum.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 9:25 AM
Quote:

Jeremy said:
It's the story I'm fearful of the most. Why would Superman leave? And for five years to be in space?

Well, this is the IMDB plot summary:

Quote:

The plot focuses on Superman questioning if he is the last survivor of the doomed planet Krypton and without a word goes in search of its remains to find nothing and return back to Earth where he finds that the world no longer needs a hero... and neither does Lois Lane.

Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-15 9:29 AM
Okay...I'm a little more convinced. All I read was that Superman would be away from Earth for five years soul searching. That caption makes a lot more sense.
Posted By: Danny Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-16 12:54 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Worst. Poster. Evar.

Okay, that's totally some fans poorly Photoshopped try-hard poster. It can't be an official studio thing. It just can't be. So chill out.
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-16 6:31 PM
I agree with Danny. All those thumbnails are clipped from pics released by the studio (except the Langella one, which looks like it was lifted from IMDb). I don't know what would possess a studio to make a poster that looked quite so bad...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-03-17 3:47 AM
We can only hope...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns - 2006-04-30 6:15 PM
SUPERMAN'S MR. SOFTY

SURE, he's still faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. But have you noticed that Superman's has seemed different lately?

We think it started when Christopher Reeve's Man of Steel and Margot Kidder's Lois Lane spent time snuggling in satin sheets in 1980's "Superman II." And ever since - through "Lois &Clark" and "Smallville" - Superman's just been getting softer and softer.

But just wait until you see "Superman Returns," which arrives in theaters on June 30.

The meaning of masculinity itself has been so redefined that the Man of Steel, and even his alter ego Clark Kent, seem positively unrecognizable to most contemporary guys.

Guys these days see themselves better reflected in the characters played by Owen Wilson - a slacker leading man whose most endearing quality is his passion for underachievement - than to earnestly patriotic, straight-arrow Clark Kent, or nearly invincible and never self-interested Superman.

Enter Brandon Routh, a practically unknown 25-year-old actor, who'll redefine the superhero for a new century as the star of "Superman Returns," the fifth big-budget installment of the franchise.

Superman may be an icon of masculinity, but he's also a brand - a brand in need of a serious makeover.

This is a fact that has not been lost on Bryan Singer, director of "Superman Returns."

Singer understands that when you're a superhero, there isn't much in the way of physical obstacles - providing you can steer clear of arch villains bearing Kryptonite - so he created the biggest sort of obstacle any guy can face: an emotional one.

In "Superman Returns," the squeaky-clean hero heads back to Earth after a mysterious six-year absence, only to find things have turned ugly. Worse yet, even his long-simmering romance with Lois Lane (played by "Blue Crush" star Kate Bosworth) has lost all its heat. Lois not only has a new guy - she has a child.

She realizes there's something to be said for loving a guy who's secretly not Superman. After all, if you're dating Superman, you have to compete with the whole world for his attention - and it's a needy world!

With an ordinary guy, at least there's a chance that he'll stop watching ESPN long enough for the two of you to nestle on the couch and get some quality time.

So this time around, Superman's not only got to reverse the darkness that has descended on the world - he has to seek some kind of emotional breakthrough, too. Can he find closure with the love of his life? Warner Brothers is betting nearly $200 million that this is the battle we really want to see.

After all, in a world filled with jihad, culture clashes and environmental catastrophes, being an emotionally remote, straight-arrow Man of Steel would be just as much of a problem as it used to be a solution.

So, Superman, welcome back to Earth, 21st century-style.

And before you put on that cape, can we just talk about your childhood for a while?

The trailer made me want to see this movie. This "preview" goes a long way to killing that desire.
Posted By: Chant Re: Superman Returns - 2006-04-30 6:24 PM
hmmm....
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-02 10:14 PM
Here's the official trailer.

Special effects look great. Cast looks pretty good. Too bad that they may have ruined it by putting in the "cute kid" who may or may not be "Superman Jr."
Posted By: Danny Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-03 6:01 PM
Kevin Spacey's moments in that were awesome. Plane thing at the end looked cool.

This could be good.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-03 6:10 PM
Looks pretty fucking cool. But someone should tell Singer that the "It's a bird. It's a plane." joke is a little stale by now.
Posted By: Rob Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-03 7:12 PM
as i hoped, seeing the new costume in motion and in the cinematic presense that it was made for made me hate it MUCH less. i barely noticed that it was drab or askew when compared to the 70s/80s suit.

actually, it seems like the entire movie palette was a darker, less saturated tone than any superman presentation since the fleischer toons.

Quote:

thedoctor said:
But someone should tell Singer that the "It's a bird. It's a plane." joke is a little stale by now.

nah, i kinda like it. i mean, yeah, we all know it, but... its like having a james bond movie with out the "bond, james bond" -- its part of the lore. particularly since this is trying to appeal to a whole new generation of fans.

Quote:

Danny said:
Kevin Spacey's moments in that were awesome.

i was actually quite surprised to see the hackman-ish moments in his luthor -- his bubbly insanity towards the end. after viewing the entire trailer, i'm very impressed with the range this luthor seems to display, a great compilation of the serious, determined STAS-like luthor along with the madder type.

Quote:

Danny said:
Plane thing at the end looked cool.

quite.

the one thing i have never liked about superman is everything seems too easy for him. even in the trailer, he's seen just strolling towards the machine guns, or startling luthor and company upon appearance like they couldn't do anything to stop him.

but with the plane scene, i very much enjoyed the "realistic physics" involved. of course he can't just swoop beneath it and pick it up cuz he's strong -- without any form of balance, trying to grab a single wing would result in the disaster shown. and even a super speed hero would have difficulty flying towards a failing jet, with all the backdraft and air pockets it would cause.

even for someone like superman, its not simple! quite the contrary, its an amazing challenge, and one that, even in the trailer, you can feel.

very fun.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-03 7:40 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Looks pretty fucking cool. But someone should tell Singer that the "It's a bird. It's a plane." joke is a little stale by now.

I agree with Rob. The joke can work if done right. I think Singer did it right, having the staff at the planet use those words while arguing about what was in a blurry photo.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-04 3:03 AM
This really, really looks fucking cool. And, yeah, Spacey won me over in just that trailer...
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Superman Returns Trailer UP - 2006-05-04 3:14 AM
This looks freakin' awesome. I have a feeling X3 is going to suffer without Singer's input.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-07 6:05 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
SUPERMAN'S MR. SOFTY

Singer understands that when you're a superhero, there isn't much in the way of physical obstacles - providing you can steer clear of arch villains bearing Kryptonite - so he created the biggest sort of obstacle any guy can face: an emotional one.

So this time around, Superman's not only got to reverse the darkness that has descended on the world - he has to seek some kind of emotional breakthrough, too. Can he find closure with the love of his life? Warner Brothers is betting nearly $200 million that this is the battle we really want to see.

And before you put on that cape, can we just talk about your childhood for a while?

There's a "review" of the film over at AICN which tends to support the above notion, that the film is less about super-hero action and more about Superman having emotional issues.
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-07 6:08 PM
Five for Fighting did this already!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-20 4:46 PM
Superman's New Power: Invisibility?

Where the heck is Superman? That’s the question being asked at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

Rumored to have cost upward of $250 million, Warner Bros.' "Superman Returns" is all about invisible here with roughly six weeks to go before its release.

A Warner spokeswoman told me last night that my worries were unfounded.

"Cannes was never part of our plan," she reassured me. “The movie doesn’t open until June 30. And wait ‘til you see it. It’s wonderful. It’s really spectacular.”

She could be right, of course. "Superman Returns" is directed by Bryan Singer, who made the first two “X-Men” movies hits, and has a final screenplay (after many dozens of versions) by the men who wrote those films.

"Superman" not being on the Croisette doesn’t necessarily mean the movie’s bad. There are plenty of other possible reasons, including not wanting to spend the millions it takes to promote a movie here.

But what makes the absence of "Superman" publicity or promotion here so glaring is the presence of tremendous plugs for other upcoming summer blockbusters.

Dreamworks’ “Over the Hedge” and FOX’s “X-Men: The Last Stand” are both screening here and getting parties.

Not only that, Paramount is putting on the dog, as they used to say, for two key Christmas releases: “Dreamgirls” and “World Trade Center.”

In the next two days, the studio will show footage from both films — 20 minutes from the former, 30 from the latter — designed to tantalize both press and distributors. Paramount is well represented here with lots of eager-to-help publicists, too.

But up on the first floor of the Carlton, where many film companies have housed extensive publicity departments armed with press releases and promotion paraphernalia, there is a strangely foreboding sign attached the to the door of a closed suite: “Warner Bros. publicity office will open on Monday May 23.”

This is a little jarring, considering that the festival began two days ago, and that most everyone else in the business has been here since at least May 17.

Where Cannes has always been effectively used to hype huge international commercial releases, Warner Bros. seems to have gone in the other direction and hidden it from the very folks who could give this wildly expensive enterprise a foothold in the market.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-20 8:44 PM
Oh, who gives a fuck about Cannes?? So the rich and hobknobbery don't get a sneak peek. Boo-hoo. It doesn't matter what they, or the press thinks. All that matters is whether the public enjoys the movie. And really....it's fucking Superman. They could just put up billboards of the 'S' ensignia (like '89's BATMAN) and people would instantly know what it means. Superman's been around for six decades. It doesn't take a media blitz to get the word out...
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-20 9:23 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Oh, who gives a fuck about Cannes?? So the rich and hobknobbery don't get a sneak peek. Boo-hoo. It doesn't matter what they, or the press thinks. All that matters is whether the public enjoys the movie. And really....it's fucking Superman. They could just put up billboards of the 'S' ensignia (like '89's BATMAN) and people would instantly know what it means. Superman's been around for six decades. It doesn't take a media blitz to get the word out...

those sneak peek festivals are important for generating buzz. typically when its kept under wraps the studio has little faith in it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-20 10:36 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Oh, who gives a fuck about Cannes?? So the rich and hobknobbery don't get a sneak peek. Boo-hoo. It doesn't matter...

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

those sneak peek festivals are important for generating buzz. typically when its kept under wraps the studio has little faith in it.

I agree with Ray. It might be nothing but, as the author of that column pointed out, there is something troubling about the lack of promotion for this movie. Such lack often signals a feeling by the studio that the film is going to bomb and they want to cut their losses.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-20 10:41 PM
Superman and Bryan Singer.

I'd bet my comic collection that this movie cleans up just as much, if not more, than BATMAN BEGINS...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-22 4:31 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Oh, who gives a fuck about Cannes?? So the rich and hobknobbery don't get a sneak peek. Boo-hoo. It doesn't matter...

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

I agree with Ray. It might be nothing but, as the author of that column pointed out, there is something troubling about the lack of promotion for this movie. Such lack often signals a feeling by the studio that the film is going to bomb and they want to cut their losses.

That's possible. It is also possible the Warners didn't have a print ready to run at Cannes. With all the FX, they might have still been in post-production work on the film when the festival came around. Warners may also be trying to shield the film from any bootlegging like the Da Vinci Code has already had to contend with.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-26 10:45 AM
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-26 4:24 PM
Yeah, looks like they might be trying to prevent bootlegging:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/myth.html
Quote:

Singer’s movie hasn’t yet screened in its entirety, so no one knows what he’s going to add to the myth. The few minutes of the film that outsiders have seen (watched with a chaperone, on a DVD that gets shredded after viewing)

Posted By: PJP Re: Superman Returns - 2006-05-26 4:40 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Superman and Bryan Singer.

I'd bet my comic collection that this movie cleans up just as much, if not more, than BATMAN BEGINS...

easily.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-02 9:27 PM
Is Superman a Dad in New Movie?

The talk these days in superhero land is that Superman may have fathered a kid.

That’s the speculation as the clock ticks down to June 28 and the premiere of “Superman Returns,” a $300 million venture that will either be the biggest hit of a July 4 weekend ever — or the biggest bust.

Previews already show that Lois Lane, played by Kate Bosworth, has what looks to be a 4-year-old son and no husband.

Fans are already paging through a novelization of “Superman Returns” that hit bookstores earlier this week to see if the Man of Steel is finally going to have some progeny.

Warner’s traditionally plays things close to the vest with big pictures, showing them to the press just 48 hours before a film debuts so as to minimize any damage.

“Superman Returns” will probably not be shown to anyone until June 26.

By then, Lois’ secret, newcomer Brandon Routh’s alleged stiffness and Spacey’s potential over-the-top scene chewing — seen in the trailers — won’t mean a thing to over-hyped audiences.

Two nice touches to look for in “Superman Returns”: cameos by Jack Larson and Noel Neill, the original Jimmy Olsen and second Lois Lane from the “Superman” TV series of the late 1950s.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-03 5:24 AM
Hmmmm. Smells like dung.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-03 8:11 PM
That's just teen spirit...
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-03 10:34 PM
Patience pays off. I was going to make a "Smells like teen spirit" reference, but decided to wait and let someone else say it.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-03 11:22 PM
You're too good to me, Jerry...
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-03 11:36 PM
May the force be with you, Pro.....always.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman Returns As a Father? - 2006-06-04 5:35 PM
Man of Steel back on IMAX - in 3-D

When the iconic superhero returns to the big screen June 28 in Warner Bros. "Superman Returns," the movie will be released simultaneously in 3-D on the really big screens of IMAX theaters.

It's the first time IMAX has gone 3-D with a live-action film, and even old fans are excited.

To mimic human depth perception, the new IMAX 3-D format takes the regular two-dimensional movie footage and assigns it as either the sightline of the right or left eye. Then, using computers, a technical team shifts and renders a second spool of film to match the other eye's viewpoint, explained Greg Foster, chairman of filmed entertainment for IMAX.

Foster explained that newfangled polarized 3-D glasses fuse the images from the two separate spools of film at the bridge of a moviegoer's nose for a realistic perspective.

"We intend to help the audience literally fly with Superman," said Foster.

Because only Superman could leap IMAX screens — as high as eight stories tall — in a single bound, the effect is supersized.

Approximately 20 minutes of "Superman Returns" has been converted to 3-D. Little images of a pair of flashing green glasses in the corner of the screen alert viewers to put on their own glasses five seconds before a 3-D scene.

Size does matter, at least when it comes to the film used in IMAX theaters. The film stock is almost 10 times larger than the standard 35-mm. stock used in traditional cineplexes.

IMAX film is called 15/70 film, referring to the 15 sprockets per frame on 70-mm. stock. The company says the larger size allows more light from the projector to go through the film, and as a result, project more detail. Unlike regular 35-mm. film, the soundtrack is not embedded, but is on a separate magnetic tape that is synchronized to the movie.

Because of the film's size, IMAX projectors used to display the footage are also gargantuan, weighing 1,800 pounds apiece.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-04 7:21 PM
It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's the Man of . . . Feelings!

director Bryan Singer suggests that his film, set for release by Warner Brothers on June 28, makes an even more startling tribute to the Man of Steel's longtime love interest [than it does to Superman himself].

When asked over a recent dinner here to describe the action of "Superman Returns," he spoke from Lois Lane's point of view: "This is a movie about what happens when old boyfriends come back into your life."

He added, "I call it my first chick flick."
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-08 2:26 AM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 5:09 PM
Superman, gay? No way

After weeks of Internet buzzing that the new Superman movie portrays the Man of Steel as gay, the director of the film issued a strong denial on Friday and said it was the most heterosexual character he has filmed.

Superman "is probably the most heterosexual character in any movie I've ever made," said Bryan Singer, director of "Superman Returns," a new movie about the crime-fighting superhero that opens June 28. "I don't think he's ever been gay."

A major gay magazine, The Advocate, ran a cover story with the headline: "How Gay is Superman," and the Los Angeles Times weighed in with its own story on whether being gay might hinder or help the movie's box office receipts.
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 5:14 PM
um hinder.....idiots.

Well that was the risk when you had teh gay director and teh gay Lex Luthor.
I was actually thinking this the other night while watching Smallville.

This is Superman

This is a gay pretty boy who looks like he's going to the pride parade.
And I think Singer purposefully cast someone who was more of a pretty boy than Superman. Directors, gay or straight, do this all the time and its annoying.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 5:22 PM
I'm willing to withhold judgement on Routh until I see his performance but I can't believe anyone thinks Welling has any of the gravitas necessary to play Superman, what with that whiny voice.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 6:11 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
I'm willing to withhold judgement on Routh until I see him naked but I can't believe anyone thinks Welling has any of the penis necessary to play Superman, what with that small package.

onto more hetro matters, the cast for superman made an appearance at the mtv awards

http://www.rkmbs.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/718189/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 6:13 PM
I felt Christopher Reeve was miscast as Superman. The best Superman IMO was Dean Cain. Hope Routh does a good job...in a few weeks, we shall see...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 6:18 PM
yeah with reeves the franchise didnt really seem to have any legs...
Posted By: PJP Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 6:58 PM
DAMN!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 7:06 PM
Dean Cain was my fav..that didn't mean any other guys who played Superman didn't count, LoL.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-10 7:07 PM
Beardguy!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-11 12:19 AM
It's easy.

George Reeve was the Golden Age Superman.

Christopher Reeves was the Silver Age Superman.

Dean Cain was John Byrne's Superman.

Tom Welling is Birthright Superman.

Brandon Routh is.........not Aramaic....?
Posted By: Animalman Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-11 12:20 AM
Who's eletric Superman?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-11 12:33 AM
Nicholas Cage in Tim Burton's "big fucking spider in the third act" movie...
Posted By: Angry Drunk G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-11 9:16 AM
Eddy Grant.
Posted By: rex Superman is gay - 2006-06-11 9:44 AM
Brandon Routh will come out of the closet sometime soon, probably opening weekend.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Superman is gay - 2006-06-19 6:06 AM
http://www.egotastic.com/entertainment/m...-edition-001332

Towards the bottom are clips
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman - 2006-06-19 6:17 AM
Can't wait for this movie. I've got good vibes...
Posted By: Theodore Long Re: Superman is gay - 2006-06-19 6:18 AM
Let me tell you somethin' dog! If Superman was gay, he would not have married Lois and given her some steelcore Kryptonian lovin'! Now you better b'lee dat!
Quote:

Prometheus said:
It's easy.

George Reeve was the Golden Age Superman.

Christopher Reeves was the Silver Age Superman.

Dean Cain was John Byrne's Superman.

Tom Welling is Birthright Superman.

Brandon Routh is.........not Aramaic....?

In all fairness though Tom Welling came before Birthright, and DC made Waid write Birthright to fit with Smallville. Though Waid completely fucked it up.
But the others I agree with.
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I felt Christopher Reeve was miscast as Superman. The best Superman IMO was Dean Cain. Hope Routh does a good job...in a few weeks, we shall see...

People are really unfair to Cain, but he did a good job. The dual identity worked through subtlety not over the top nerdiness. If you watch Lois and Clark you see Superman as this stiff character, very public and dignified. While Cain's Clark was a normal guy who was a klutz. And no one thought he was Superman because of simple things like pretending to trip or burn his tongue on some hot coffee.
It was a good performance and I'm afraid they're going back to the nerd Kent portrayal simply because a bunch of fanboys are hot and bothered for the older films.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Superman - 2006-06-19 3:46 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:

You're sitting on your wife's vibrator.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman - 2006-06-20 3:12 AM
....that's why I'm smiling....
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-20 3:31 AM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

People are really unfair to Cain, but he did a good job. The dual identity worked through subtlety not over the top nerdiness. If you watch Lois and Clark you see Superman as this stiff character, very public and dignified. While Cain's Clark was a normal guy who was a klutz. And no one thought he was Superman because of simple things like pretending to trip or burn his tongue on some hot coffee.
It was a good performance and I'm afraid they're going back to the nerd Kent portrayal simply because a bunch of fanboys are hot and bothered for the older films.

I could not have said that any better. Dean Cain was a very masculine Superman...He was not a pretty boy like Christopher Reeve, or Tom Welling, or this new guy. When he was Superman and he was angry, he looked angry. From time to time, he broke character as Clark by being angry. Threatening Lois or his friends would make him angry. He was aggressive yet gentle. He was a helpless romantic where Lois was concerned. A loyal friend. A fierce fighter. He was many things.

My favorite line from the series "Lois and Clark" :

Lois had just figured out that he secretly Clark. He was explaining to her WHY he leads a double life. Why he chose not to tell he he was Superman at first.

"Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is what I can do."
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-20 5:12 AM
I thought Dean Cain was a good Clark but a mediocre Superman.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-20 5:19 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
I thought Dean Cain had a good dick but a mediocre ballsack.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman: "Chick Flick"? - 2006-06-23 8:24 PM
Spoilers: Superman Broods and Breeds in New Movie

...Superman, aka Clark Kent in "Superman Returns" is just as much of a dork as he was in the first two films that starred Christopher Reeve and were directed by Richard Donner.

The early revelation that Lois Lane has a child the same age as the amount of time he’s been away makes absolutely no visible impact on Clark. If he ever slept with Lois in "Superman II," he seems either to have forgotten or not realized the consequences.

The one thing Routh has going for him is that he looks a lot like Chris Reeve. Other than that, his acting hasn’t changed much since his short, cardboard-like stint on "One Life to Live."

Singer is content with using him as sort of a prop, and moving everyone else around him. It’s not that Routh is bad or embarrasses himself. He does neither. But dynamic is not a word that comes to mind, either.

Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane actually fares much worse. She is very bland, lacking any of the zip Margot Kidder gave to the role in the films or Teri Hatcher in the "Lois and Clark" TV series.

She is sass-less, but then again, so is the wearisome script by Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris and Singer. Their dialogue is either suffocating or absent. After all, Lois has supposedly won a Pulitzer Prize. But she's as witty or facile with words as a lump of Kryptonite.

The first hour is magnificent, and there is a lot to like in the succeeding hour and a half. But a long sequence in the middle, with lots of CGI and some preposterous stuff involving Lois saving Superman, is repetitive and kind of joyless. A woman sitting next to me in yesterday’s screening kept making phone calls during that part.

Th[e] first hour is essentially a remake of the first two Donner films. The only difference is that Superman has been away for five years. But Singer recreates Superman's original appearance on Earth — this time instead of being a baby in a rocket, he's an adult. The wonderful Eva Marie Saint returns as Clark’s mother Martha Kent, and the scenes in Kansas are gorgeously shot.

In recreating the Donner films, Singer has also used John Williams' original score and the original title design as well. In this case "Superman Returns" is really "Superman III." About 20 minutes in, Clark/Superman must rescue the Space Shuttle and a passenger plane that was boosting it into space. The whole movie is worth this episode, every part of it works.

But that's when a new story kicks in, involving Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor colorlessly imitating Gene Hackman, and Parker Posey doing her damnedest to make a character out of his sidekick Kitty.

But Posey — who looks great and has some good introductory moments — never takes off. For a lot of the film she’s dressed up with no place to go, and you can feel it. Her role is full of missed opportunities for juicy one-liners and observations.

Spacey, sometimes looking like Uncle Fester, works overtime to find new paths away from Hackman's work. Sometimes, but not often, he is successful.

There are some nice touches: The first character you see in the film is a wealthy, dying widow whom Lex is conning into signing over her estate. The original Lois Lane from TV, Noel Neill, does a nice job with the part.

Later Jack Larson, Jimmy Olsen from TV, gets few good scenes as a bartender. Perry White (Frank Langella) does get to say, "Great Caesar's ghost," and in a cute scene the words, "Look, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it's a plane," are uttered.

In the end, "Superman Returns" is grand, and often aims to be a take on "Gotterdammerung" with the world exploding, flooding, collapsing and repairing itself. There is a lot of melodrama, and many gorgeous shots of Superman flying around the world, into space and brooding about his life's work.

I think the audience I saw the movie with was a little confused. They wanted some laughs, but when the few times came, they chuckled nervously instead.

There was succinct applause at the end, but not the feeling that we’d seen a jubilant triumph. My guess is the movie, which comes out June 28 and will "open" all the way through July 4, will make all its foundational money right away, and come out of the first week in good shape. But $300 million is a lot to earn back, no matter how impassioned comic books fans are about this latest iteration of their hero's saga.
Posted By: McGurk Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-06-25 3:36 PM
I don't see much of a big deal about Lois Lane having a kid. She's an opinionated and stubborn woman and has been ever since she had plenty of room to call Clark a spineless unbearable coward in Action Comics #1 (Go ahead, look. I'll wait.). But damnit, at least she's not scared of a little thing called communication, so Clark knew where he stood with her even without using super powers. As long as they manage to keep that aspect of her character like many other Lois incarnations I'm a happy guy.

But then again, this is a work of fiction and the credits will roll soon anyway.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-06-26 9:41 AM
Comes out Wednesday, I'm going to try and see it Tuesday. Newsarama has a couple postive reviews and one bad...so I hope it's good.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-06-26 10:20 AM
THeme music and fanfic site for Lois and Clark:

http://members.aol.com/cmassih/claudy.htm
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-06-26 10:23 AM
Lois and Clark Episode guide :

http://www.redboots.net/tnaos/episode_guides.htm
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman Returns Teaser Trailer - 2006-06-26 10:24 AM
Read Superman comics online :

http://www.superman.ws/superman-comics/
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Superman - 2006-06-26 6:25 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Me too. I'm not really a Superman fan, but I'm starting to look forward to seeing this....

http://www.amny.com/search/ny-etsuper264796630jun26,0,3556093.story

Man, newcomer's getting Super buzz
June 26, 2006
"Superman Returns" swoops into theaters Wednesday on a current of anticipation and cool trailers that make the buzz surrounding earlier big summer flicks seem a little like white noise. As reviews of the Warner Bros. film, directed by Bryan Singer and starring newcomer Brandon Routh, begin trickling in things are looking even better for the man of steel. Look for Gene Seymour's review in tomorrow's Newsday.

Here's a sampling of what else is out there:

HARRY KNOWLES

aintitcoolnews.com

How did Brandon Routh do? ... He simply was Superman. The timbre of his voice in the title character is simply wonderful. He is majestic and human. Amazing, super and courageous. The film is filled with love for more than just the previous movies, but the comics and even the classic George Reeves television show. This honors them all, while doing its own wonderful thing.

RICHARD CORLISS

Time Magazine

Earlier versions of Superman stressed the hero's humanity: his attachment to his Earth parents, his country-boy clumsiness around Lois. The Singer version emphasizes his divinity. He is not a super man; he is a god (named Kal-El), sent by his heavenly father (Jor-El) to protect Earth. That is a mission that takes more than muscles; it requires sacrifice, perhaps of his own life. So he is no simple comic-book hunk. He is Earth's savior: Jesus Christ Superman.

OWEN GLEIBERMAN

Entertainment Weekly

Brandon Routh plays Superman by unabashedly mimicking Reeve's performance. As the twittery nerd Clark Kent, Routh stammers with mock anxiety, bowing his head as he pushes his glasses up with his index finger, and he's all sexy, straight-staring chivalry as the clear-eyed, rock-chested Superman, a god too noble to be a stud. I wish that "Superman Returns" were more original, and (in its first 45 minutes) better paced, but Singer, after two "X-Men" films, is now a commanding orchestrator of pop spectacle. The movie gets tighter and fiercer as it goes along. Kevin Spacey, for all the hilarity of his zombie sarcasms, lends a hungry gravitas to Lex's dreams, and as Luthor creates a crystalline fortress of megalomania, which evokes the remains of the World Trade Center, Singer does his grandest work to date.

DAVID ANSEN

Newsweek

You know that you are in the presence of kitsch of a very high order when a comic-book romance can actually produce a lump in your throat. Newcomer Routh may or may not be a real actor, but he effortlessly lays claim to the iconic role, just as Reeve did. Indeed, he virtually duplicates Reeve in the way he plays Kent as a diffident, awkward Midwestern colt. Singer cleverly doles out his hero in small portions, so that we're left, like all those awestruck admirers in Metropolis, wanting more glimpses of him than we get.

KIRK HONEYCUTT

The Hollywood Reporter

The hero's rescues are spectacular thanks to the marvels of digital effects. And its villain, Lex Luthor, and Luthor's female companion, Kitty Kowalski - deliciously played by Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey - spice the film with extravagant comedy. Superman doesn't so much fly as float. He can levitate a few feet or thousands of feet in the air. This high-wire act would have gone for naught if Routh had not so capably filled the Man of Steel's costume. Like Reeve, he is just right physically, looking at times like the old comic book drawings of Superman. There is honesty in his acting where the emotions that play across Superman/Clark Kent's face and body come from deep within.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman - 2006-06-26 7:44 PM
Great reviews, Harley, thanks!! Now I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this movie on Friday!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 12:36 AM
Superman flying back into theaters Tuesday night

Superman has been absent from theater screens for nearly 20 years, and local comic book fans are ready to see whether his latest incarnation will fly with moviegoers as "Superman Returns" debuts tonight.

Starring little-known actor Brandon Routh as the iconic DC Comics hero and Kevin Spacey as archvillain Lex Luthor, the long-awaited movie will hit several area multiplexes in special 10 p.m. screenings tonight before officially opening on Wednesday.

Just as last year's "Batman Begins" successfully rebooted that character on the big screen, DC and Warner Brothers, both subsidiaries of Time-Warner, are banking that "Superman Returns" will restore DC's flagship character to the top of the superhero movie genre alongside Marvel's "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" adaptations.

"It looks like it's going to be an amazing movie," said Kris Ross, a Johnson City resident who began reading comic books at age 8. "The guy they have playing him is a dead ringer for a young Christopher Reeve."

"I just think they could have found somebody better than Kevin Spacey to play Lex Luthor. I wish they had brought in Michael Rosenbaum from (the television series) ‘Smallville,' who does a perfect rendition of Luthor," said Ross, who recently met the TV series' Lois Lane, Erica Durance, at a Knoxville comic book convention.

Ross' opinion about Spacey's casting is indicative of the debate surrounding the movie. Fans have questioned everything from Routh's suitability to Lois Lane's emergence as a single parent in the script. Some are wondering just how far director Bryan Singer, who defected from the "X-Men" series to save the once-troubled project, will deviate from the legendary character's long history.

"People are afraid of the Superman movie," said John Stone, co-owner of Mountain Empire Comics, which has shops in Johnson City and Bristol. "They're afraid Singer is going to change the mystique of the whole thing around."

But Stone expects "Superman Returns" to convert any detractors and rival the upcoming "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequel, "Dead Man's Chest," as the summer's biggest blockbuster.

"From what I've read and what I've seen, it's going to be a great movie," Stone said. "I think it's going to build upon the Superman popularity. ‘Spider-Man' did that. When it came out (in 2002), kids came in here by the droves. I think ‘Superman Returns' will do that, too."

Is any one going tonight?
Posted By: klinton Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 12:45 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Is any going tonight?

Yup!! I'm more excited for this than I'd realized...Dan pointed out that I was tearing up while watching the fucking trailers for it (for the 10th time...only to show him).
Posted By: klinton Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 8:24 AM
Heheh...it was FANTASTIC!!!

"Uh...weren't there two?" *munch, munch*

Although...the 'death of Superman' extended ending left a lot to be desired (and a few people getting up and leaving)...I was entranced the minute the score came up - complete with lettering circa '86!!
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 8:28 AM
Death of Superman ending? What! Damn you Lulu avatar guy!!
Posted By: klinton Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 8:36 AM
Quote:

Jeremy said:
Death of Superman ending? What! Damn you Lulu avatar guy!!

No for real...the image of Martha Kent getting shoved about in the crowd....I got a little teary...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Superman - 2006-06-28 8:15 PM
it was great just to hear the soundtrack flare up to the big red S. The movie was amazing and that plane crash scene was one of the best(poor lois). I probably still liked Batman Begins just a little more but yeah for sure Superman has returned!
Posted By: Fused Re: Superman - 2006-06-30 9:10 PM
HAHA yeah I was so into the scene that I forgot the fact that Lois should have been hospitalized for the rest of the movie after that plane turbulence.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Superman - 2006-07-01 4:35 AM
I loved the movie! Went on a first date with someone just this Friday afternoon whom I've been wanting to meet for two years now! My date loved the movie, too.

We saw it in IMAX! Felt like I was almost IN the movie, myself!

It rocks! It is done in the spirit of the Donner movies, but has it's own personality, as well.

I recommend it, highly!

You WILL believe a man can fly.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Superman - 2006-07-01 4:44 AM
I'm not gonna see it. Looks stupid.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Superman - 2006-07-02 4:06 AM
...as pariah fills another fourm with his love for penis....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Superman - 2006-07-02 4:15 AM
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Superman - 2006-07-02 10:30 AM
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
...as pariah fills another fourm with his love for penis....

Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Superman - 2006-07-09 4:30 AM
love that graemlin...
© RKMBs