RKMBs
Posted By: Fused Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:45 AM
Source: Aint it Cool News

IRON MAN Has Found Its Tony Stark!!

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Robert Downey Jr. has been cast to play Iron Man for director Jon Favreau at Marvel Studios! The movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, the film will follow billionaire weapons-manufacturer, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.), who confronts the sins of his past after he is injured by one of his own weapons. Equipped with a high-tech suit of armor, he becomes Iron Man to combat evil on a global scale.
Posted By: Fused Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:45 AM
That's actually a genius casting decision.
Posted By: rex Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:48 AM
I guess that means they will be doing the alcoholic story.
Posted By: Fused Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:49 AM
Exactly!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:53 AM
Ain't It Cool?? Don't know whether to believe this or not...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 5:54 AM
But, if it's true...yeah...fucking genius...
Posted By: rex Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 6:18 AM
g-man links to ain't it cool all the time. Everything they say is one hundred percent factual.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 7:02 AM
I believed him as Charlie Chaplin, dunno if I'll believe him as Tony Stark, but I will try and keep an open mind.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 7:15 AM
Quote:

Fused said:
That's actually a genius casting decision.

Yup.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 3:01 PM
Yeah, its almost too perfect...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 3:16 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Ain't It Cool?? Don't know whether to believe this or not...

Reuters has the story now.

Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The movie version will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Budgeted at more than $100 million, it marks the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, which previously licensed its characters, such as "Spider-Man" and "X-Men," to other studios.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 4:30 PM
Cool, or rather
Posted By: Adrian Tullberg Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 4:34 PM
I was thinking that Timothy Dalton would be good for this, but Robert Downey Jr ... yeah, I could see it.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 7:44 PM
Moviehole Reaction to the news:

Makes you wanna do cartwheels anytime a studio takes a welcome gamble like this.

Referring of course to news that the-one-and-only Robert Downey Jr – yes, Downey Jr! Not some sloppy CW regular or fresh-faced musician cum artiste – has signed to play Tony Stark, or rather, “Iron Man”.

Whoever thought Paramount would cast someone of Downey Jr’s calibre – or type – in the role? Sure, it fits him like a glove – alcoholic billionaire that gets about in a superhero outfit after hours – but its almost unheard of. Obviously someone’s taking a page out of Chris Nolan’s “Batman” book and casting ‘actors’ before ‘faces’. Nice example to follow though – “Batman Begins” won a mint, and some major merit.

Interestingly enough, Tom Cruise was initially linked to the project – granted, this was before his transformation into couch-jumping preacher boy – so seems the film has always been circling, in some ways, a big name to headline.

But lets admit it, Cruise is a movie star, Downey Jr is an actor – and “Iron Man” will be all the more better for having Morton’s boy wearing the ensemble.

Downey Jr has made a real comeback the past coupla years. It’s funny to think that many of us assumed he had ruined himself when he went and got himself fired from TV comeback gig “Ally McBeal” – but then he bounced back a couple of years later with big roles in big films, movies like “Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang”, “The Singing Detective” and “Good Night and Good Luck”.

Glad he did clean up his act though – it’ll be interesting to see him playing an alcoholic on screen though, temptation is a bitch – because we’ve now got one of today’s best actors back on our screens. There’s not many like RDJ.

Another fab actor, Terrence Howard (“Hustle & Flow”), is believed to be in talks for the role of Jim Rhodes, the former CEO of Stark Industries, in the film. Comic book fans will know that Rhodes has an alter ego too – War Machine (and later, he takes the guise of “Iron Man”).

“Iron Man” starts filming in January, under the guidance of Jon Favreau – who, by the way, has a new baby; congrats mate! – and the Paramount troops.

The pic, based on the classic Marvel comic book of the same name, fixes on a troubled billionaire who creates a life support suit to assist him after a life threatening accident and ultimately decides to use its technology to fight evil and crime.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:05 PM
Looked up Terrence Howard. He looks not as I pictured James Rhodes to look like in a live action movie, but he looks good enough.

Have to wait and see what transpires...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:09 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Moviehole Reaction to the news:

Downey Jr is an actor – and “Iron Man” will be all the more better for having Morton’s boy wearing the ensemble.

I don't know who or what moviehole is. However, where the hell did they get the idea that Robert Downey Jr is the son of Morton Downey Jr?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:20 PM
Honestly? I think it's a joke that goes back to the days of Morton having his own talk show. I remember hearing that people used to get those two confused, and Morton made the joke that Robert was his son. Either that, or, the guy still thinks he is related somehow...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:23 PM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:28 PM
Okay, but Downey's been off the air for, what, fifteen years now? How many people are even going to get the joke?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 8:53 PM
It's not a debate, G. Just a supposition...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:01 PM
I'm not attacking you Promod, just questioning the reviewer's possible line of reasoning

Poor Promod. Male PMS is a terrible thing
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:15 PM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Looked up Terrence Howard. He looks not as I pictured James Rhodes to look like in a live action movie, but he looks good enough.

He's apparently in negotiations to play Diamondback in the Luc Cage pic as well.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:19 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Good luck with that, old man...
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:19 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
I'm not attacking you Promod, just questioning the reviewer's possible line of reasoning

I thought animalman was a nitpicker--you may take his crown yet.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:20 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

He's apparently in negotiations to play Diamondback in the Luc Cage pic as well.

hahhaahah--captain america's diamondback?? hhahaha
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:21 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Okay, but Downey's been off the air for, what, fifteen years now?

And he's dead.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:22 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

Is this the French version?

I thought it was Luke Cage...christmas!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 9:42 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

Is this the French version?

I thought it was Luke Cage...christmas!

It was a typo, Sock Boy. And what you "go for" has already been brought up for public ridicule, so maybe you best just let it go.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:04 PM
...I think Doc misread that as a rex-post...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:08 PM
Or I was just using Jim's own words against him.

Don't worry, Pro. I'll e-mail the Cliff's Notes version to help you figure it all out.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:48 PM
Wow, someone is PMSing....
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:52 PM
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting to the store and getting some Midol to deal with it. Congratulations on the breakthrough Promod.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:53 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:

No, I think Jim's always that bitchy.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:54 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting to the store and getting some Midol to deal with it. Congratulations on the breakthrough Promod.

So, the original joke failed, and you decided to take another shot with it, eh? Well, at least you tried. Better luck next time...
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-29 10:56 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

So, the original joke failed, and you decided to take another shot with it, eh? Well, at least you tried. Better luck next time...

(I'm giving G-Man a sympathy laugh. Can't we all just get along?)
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:01 AM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Didn't you actually copy his joke?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:04 AM
Pro is like the Tim Burton of joke stealers. He doesn't copy them, he reimagines them.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:15 AM
Quote:

thedoctor said:

No. G-Man started nitpicking the article I posted. I expressed that I wasn't trying for a debate, just making guesses as to an explanation for what he didn't like/understand. He took that as an attack, or something, and made a male PMS joke. Later, I stated that it looked like you might have misread Jim's post, due to the nature of the specific response. Then, you replied giving me the info on where the response comes from, and yet, still took time to insult me for some reason. I responded by stating that you seem unusually pissy today. Then, G-Man...still steaming it would seem...decided to join in by reiterating that I was going through male PMS. I replied that re-using the same joke doesn't make it any funnier or cutting. Then, you decided that I was to be an adversary, and am now joining in with G-Man to taunt me.

Good luck with all of that, btw...
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:19 AM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

No, I think Jim's always that bitchy.

Lately, yeah....
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:32 AM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

No. G-Man started nitpicking the article I posted. I expressed that I wasn't trying for a debate, just making guesses as to an explanation for what he didn't like/understand. He took that as an attack, or something, and made a male PMS joke. Later, I stated that it looked like you might have misread Jim's post, due to the nature of the specific response. Then, you replied giving me the info on where the response comes from, and yet, still took time to insult me for some reason. I responded by stating that you seem unusually pissy today. Then, G-Man...still steaming it would seem...decided to join in by reiterating that I was going through male PMS. I replied that re-using the same joke doesn't make it any funnier or cutting. Then, you decided that I was to be an adversary, and am now joining in with G-Man to taunt me.

Good luck with all of that, btw...

I'm hazing you no less than usual (or anyone else here). You seem to be the one taking everything personally and being 'pissy'. And, yes, you did steal G-Man's PMS joke. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. They should also get curtains....... or blinds.......... or at least turn out the lights at night.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:42 AM
Yeah, what gives, Promod? Lately you've been as bitchy as Jim admits to being
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:53 AM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I'm hazing you no less than usual (or anyone else here). You seem to be the one taking everything personally and being 'pissy'. And, yes, you did steal G-Man's PMS joke. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. They should also get curtains....... or blinds.......... or at least turn out the lights at night.

No YOU are!!

I'm fine. I'm just in a debating mood lately. Comes with a sober life...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 12:54 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Yeah, what gives, Promod? Lately you've been as bitchy as Jim admits to being

You're just my favorite adversary, is all.

Nazi-fuck...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:31 AM
Well, if you're going to try and be an adversary, at least try being a worthy one. Being bitchy isnt exactly engaging in a battle of wits.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:44 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Being bitchy isnt exactly engaging in a battle of wits.

You should take your own advice, you bitter, insecure little girl...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 4:00 PM
Little pussy.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:30 PM
you guys should just admit your love for one another...
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:47 PM
Hello? I thought this was a thread being posted in by adults? Seems we have a bit of trouble brewing in the playground here now?
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:50 PM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Hello? I thought this was a thread being posted in by adults? Seems we have a bit of trouble brewing in the playground here now?

I thought this was the RKMBS? What exactly were you expecting...most threads are lucky to remain sensible for 1 page...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 5:54 PM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

olease go to the official thread for serious discussion http://www.rkmbs.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/772310/an/0/page/0#772310
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:06 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Little pussy.

Awesome. I broke G-Man.

Should I say "I win again!" here, or, is it blatantly understood?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:08 PM
i think it was obvious to everyone.....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:24 PM
Thank you, sir. I concede to your experience in these matters...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:35 PM
if you do this often enough jaburg will make you a graphic....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:36 PM
Hawt!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:49 PM
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

I thought this was the RKMBS? What exactly were you expecting...most threads are lucky to remain sensible for 1 page...

You are correct, P.I. .... A fact I would do well to keep in mind!

I just did not want to see the fued between G Man and Pro escalate. It appeared to me that a nuclear strike was forthcoming.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:51 PM
Pro, you are turning slowly to the dark side of the force....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 6:54 PM
"Turning"?
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 7:01 PM
You may yet be saved..... the force has two sides.. and there may yet be one who will be cause for your salvation...
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 9:53 PM
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
I thought this was the RKMBS?

Look again, it's the WPJPMBs now. Pay attention reax!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 9:59 PM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I just did not want to see the fued between G Man and Pro escalate. It appeared to me that a nuclear strike was forthcoming.

Since Promod and I have both indicated in the past that our barbs aren't really totally serious, unless Promod is suddenly taking this way more seriously than I am, I wouldn't worry.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 10:10 PM
im pretty sure no one takes your posts seriously, youve become even more irrelevent since rob stripped you of half your forum.....
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-09-30 10:14 PM
I love the banner for this thread! It's perfect!
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
im pretty sure no one takes your posts seriously, youve become even more irrelevent since rob stripped you of half your forum.....

BSAMS, would you say that this sense of meaninglessness might cause G-man to go back to his old habits, and that we should lock up our children to protect them?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-10-01 5:24 AM
the male ones, yes.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-10-01 11:12 AM
I was wondering why someone had posted my face in the front page banner, but that would be selling tickets on myself, wouldn't it?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-10-01 4:23 PM
you were young and needed the money!
Now I'm old and hope they never release the tapes.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-10-03 9:23 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

Since Promod and I have both indicated in the past that our barbs aren't really totally serious, unless Promod is suddenly taking this way more seriously than I am, I wouldn't worry.

Ok.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2006-10-03 9:24 AM
This thread makes me want to listen to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath, for some reason.....
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2007-03-19 6:31 PM
Director Jon Favreau gives an update from My Space.

Quote:

We are done with the first week of photography. I am happy to report that the ten months of preparation allowed the extremely challenging first week of photography to come off without a hitch. The look is fantastic and the performances are great as well. Downey was definitely the right choice.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the "cave." The first few weeks of shooting are spent, somewhat in sequence, establishing Stark's captivity. It sets the table tonally for the rest of the film. The close quarters and tight schedule make it the toughest part of the shoot on the cast and crew.

Posted By: Prometheus Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2007-03-20 12:25 AM
I really, really, REALLY want to get my hopes up about this film. I'm hoping MARVEL's normal marketing team doesn't bland-it-down too much...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 4:18 AM
AICN has a pic of the Kirby/Heck version of the armor, presumably as a prototype version:

Looks pretty sweet in a retro comic book sort of way.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 4:39 AM
It looks cool in an Iron Man - meets - Big Guy kind of way.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 5:08 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
AICN has a pic of the Kirby/Heck version of the armor, presumably as a prototype version:

Looks kinda Iron Giant-ish to me.

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 6:37 AM
Iron Giant is a great movie! Now I want to watch it again!
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2007-04-12 6:38 AM
Jeremy approves!
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 8:39 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Looks like gray Iron man to me...

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 7:45 PM
Quote:

Pig Iran said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Looks like gray Iron man to me...

Exactly. So that means that the Iron Giant looks like Iron Man, not the other way around.

Also, I like the blow torch on the forearm.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 8:12 PM
Iron Giant should be sued!
He could hire Klinton!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 10:26 PM
That's pretty fucking sweet! I wish he'd stay in that armor the entire movie...
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 10:37 PM
You know who would like this thread?

Illegal Machine.
Posted By: Rob Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 10:44 PM
Quote:

Prometheus said:
That's pretty fucking sweet! I wish he'd stay in that armor the entire movie...

does he wear the armor? or is it more like a prototype, background nod-to-fans kinda thing
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-12 10:58 PM
Who knows? If it's like the book, he'll build that as the initial one he wears...
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 3:37 AM
I'm not so good on Iron Man continuity, but doesn't he build the grey one while captured by Chinese communists and have to wear it to keep his heart going? Later he switches to the swish yellow and red one?

I like it. The serial number on the chest suggests its built out of spare parts, too.
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 3:45 AM
Its very Batman Begins like. Thats a good thing.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 3:54 AM
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
I'm not so good on Iron Man continuity, but doesn't he build the grey one while captured by Chinese communists and have to wear it to keep his heart going? Later he switches to the swish yellow and red one?

I like it. The serial number on the chest suggests its built out of spare parts, too.

Those aren't serial numbers, those are his lucky numbers from the fortune cookies he ate to stay alive!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 3:54 AM
I dunno how close this is gonna be, but this is what all the pics on Favreaus personal MySpace page, look like of the modern armour!

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 3:55 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I dunno how close this is gonna be, but this is what all the pics on Favreaus personal MySpace page, look like of the modern armour!

As much as I am fond of the old armor, this suit looks awesome!!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 4:22 AM
the only downside to the newer looking armor is it could look very power rangery like green goblin in spider-man....
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 4:39 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

I really like Ari Granov's art
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 6:12 AM
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:

Originally it was the Viet Cong, not the Chinese. Later it was retconned to some unnamed Asian conflict. I think the movie is going to retcon it to Afghanistan circa 2002.

Quote:

Yeah. I hate to jinx things but so far it looks like they're trying to do this one right, from the casting of Downey to the recognition that the original suit was, and should be, sort of crude.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 8:52 AM
Kurt Busiek actually retconned it to the nineties Gulf conflict.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 8:56 AM
Grimm for comic mod.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 5:23 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Yeah. I hate to jinx things but so far it looks like they're trying to do this one right, from the casting of Downey to the recognition that the original suit was, and should be, sort of crude.

Making the welds visible is a really good touch.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 10:29 PM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 10:31 PM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-13 10:31 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-14 6:53 AM
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-14 5:00 PM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Sweet.

My fav'rit of the pics.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-14 6:14 PM

"Hey, Giant Man, got any coke?"
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 5:58 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 5:59 PM
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:

Fucking awesome!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 6:01 PM
Tony Beadazzled his shirt.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 6:02 PM
http://www.mybedazzler.com/?cid=200714
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 6:02 PM
Rhinestones of the future!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 6:20 PM
Iron Man's a futurist. He knows they're coming back in style.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 8:02 PM
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:

Looks like he has stolen the eye of agamoto (or whatever it was called) from Dr. Strange!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 8:30 PM
Crossover!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-04-27 8:37 PM
I always thought Strange was a crossdresser!
Posted By: notwedge Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-02 8:42 PM
Lookin' good.

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-02 8:53 PM
Quote:

notwedge said:
Lookin' good.

That looks great! Not at all as I expected.

I had been worried that Iron Man would look a lot like a failed Power Ranger....
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-02 8:58 PM
Quote:

notwedge said:
Lookin' good.

Holy shit! Is that an actual pic from the movie?

That looks fuckin' amazing!
Posted By: notwedge Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-02 9:09 PM
It's supposedly a prsctical (non cgi) shot. I'm guessing the glow on the chest, palms and eyes are probably enhanced, but that's basically a picture of a guy in the costume for the movie.
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-02 9:17 PM
Not bad.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-03 3:07 AM
Awesome. I like that they're not using the pentagon chest light thingy that's used in the comics now.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-03 5:19 AM
I have to give Favreau credit. So far I haven't seen a single thing about this movie that comes off as a misstep.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-03 5:21 AM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

notwedge said:
Lookin' good.

That looks great! Not at all as I expected.

I had been worried that Iron Man would look a lot like a failed Power Ranger....

(shudder) yeah the pic looks great but im not gettin all geeked out yet...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-03 5:21 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
I have to give Favreau credit. So far I haven't seen a single thing about this movie that comes off as a misstep.

I hope it makes a ton of money then. To just go and prove again the most faithful adaption is ultimately the most successful one.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-03 5:22 AM
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

I hope it makes a ton of money then. To just go and prove again the most faithful adaption is ultimately the most successful one.

true story...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-05 8:40 AM
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2435&Itemid=99
Posted By: Grimm Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-05-05 9:04 AM
Quote:

notwedge said:
Lookin' good.

I don't like this one as much and I finally realized why. it looks too cgi in comparison to the first two.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-06-04 10:00 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1560949/20070131/index.jhtml

video clip 1

clip 2
Jun 1 2007 6:01 AM EDT
'Iron Man' Set Visit: MTV News Gets First Glimpse Of Stark Office, The Mask
Stars, director fill us in on hero's alcoholism, friendship with Bill Gates.

By Larry Carroll

PLAYA VISTA, California — He has waged war on terrorists, alien dragons and Soviet supersoldiers alike. He's traveled to battlefields on Earth and beyond and been near death too many times to count. And now, Iron Man is getting his own movie.

And what a movie it's shaping up to be.

MTV News visited the set of the über-secretive superhero flick Wednesday, getting an eyeful of the elaborate sets, high-powered stars and the iconic Iron Man mask itself. If you're a geek, you know how big this is. If you're a popcorn-lover who digs movies like the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" flicks, trust us: This is the one you'll be dying to see when it opens May 2, 2008.

"I've always been a big fan of comics — only Marvel comics actually, strangely," grins Robert Downey Jr., explaining what motivation an Oscar-nominated actor has to join the ranks of illustrated leading men like Tobey Maguire and Hugh Jackman. "I always felt like Tony Stark was one of the great characters."

These days, Downey is living out a childhood fantasy by immersing himself in that character. Transformed by a sharp suit, purple dress shirt and triangular goatee, he strikes a pose in the middle of the leather-and-glass-dominated Stark Enterprises office. It's as if we're eyeballing a freshly inked comic panel.

Stark's Trump-worthy office is a masterpiece of glass, leather and wood, overlooking a massive mural of a downtown-somewhere view. The minimalist look is broken up by airplane models, a big-screen plasma TV, and a framed diploma reminding us that "Anthony Edward Stark" received his physics and aeronautical degrees from MIT. Nearby, trophies (the Space Quest Award) and books ("The Tao of Physics") remind us that we're dealing with a hero as agile mentally as he is physically. To drive that point home — almost too hilariously — is a Photoshopped picture of a teenage Downey hanging with an '80s-era Bill Gates.

"[Stark is] a bit conflicted about the ramifications of weapons and what it means [to build them] in today's temperature and political climate," Downey explains. "And then he does something unusual."

As fans of the invincible one know, that unusual action yields an impregnable, red-and-gold suit of armor that blesses him with powers to rival any superhero. And when director Jon Favreau (see "Have Doubts About The 'Iron Man' Movie? Jon Favreau Wants To Hear Them") walks in carrying the trademark mask, the chills are reminiscent of the first time you saw Superman fly across a movie screen or Spidey slinging his web.

"We picked Robert because of his acting ability — and when you put this on, it really shines through," the "Swingers" star-turned-director beams, teasing Downey.

Activating a button near the mask, the Iron icon springs to life, shining lights out of each eye. Sleek, metallic and intimidating, the mask walks a fine line between the practicality of Green Goblin and the homespun warmth of the Rocketeer.

(Watch Favreau and Downey show off the high-tech headpiece.)

"The part that attracts me to Iron Man is he's not really a superhero," Favreau explains. "He's just an inventor and a normal mortal who wasn't bit by a radioactive bug or shot with gamma rays or anything. He's a guy who invents a suit, and he uses his mind to create the persona of the superhero he plays."

As for the rest of the outfit, Downey reveals that it takes three men to put it on him, while Favreau adds: "Robert is very good with the suit. ... [Iron Man] flies, he can shoot repulsor beams out of the palms of his hands and out of his chest. He has a lot of little gadgets that are rigged up into the armor, using other Stark technologies that are used on weapons systems for aircraft."

On this day, a dark-haired Gwyneth Paltrow (as sharp-tongued secretary Pepper Potts) and chrome-domed Jeff Bridges (Stark rival Obadiah Stane) are having an intense conversation at Stark's computer. In the adjoining entranceway, two elevators are accompanied by a green-and-gold bust of Tony's deceased dad Howard Stark, founder of Stark Industries.

"What is he up against? His biggest enemy?" Favreau says, stuttering slightly while avoiding the sinister presence of a nearby Bridges. "I don't want to ruin the movie, but it's himself. It's true."

For Exhibit A, you need look no further than the half-filled decanter of whiskey, sitting on Stark's table alongside cocktail glasses and a bucket of ice. Exhibit B can be found in Stark's basement factory set, located a few hundred feet across the soundstage: Mixed in with the machinery, classic cars and blueprints is a stocked fridge brimming with chilled martini glasses, olives and enough liquor to fuel a young Hollywood bash. In case you haven't figured it out, Stark's alcoholism is being foreshadowed for future films.

(See Tony Stark panic at a party in this behind-the-scenes preview.)

"He's a billionaire weapons industrialist manufacturer," Downey says of the territory they'll mine. "And [we'll also get into] all the other stuff that most people know."

Which includes the "Iron Man" origin story — now updated from Vietnam to Iraq — that features Stark's capture, torture and escape as a prisoner of war. On this soundstage, between the Stark Enterprises set and Tony's basement factory — which contains his silver Audi R-8, several vintage Harleys, a custom hot-rod with the license plate "STARK 5" (Favreau's real wheels) and an old-school oil-can collection — is an enormous Iraqi cave with man-size holes blown into the sides. Largely the site of the film's first act, it stands near another set designed to look like an airplane cabin.

(Watch Howard shoot, Downey duck and Favreau having a blast on set.)

"We're right in the middle of [filming], so we're right in the thick of things," says Favreau, who uses a personalized bicycle to shuttle between the sets of the huge stage. "And a lot of the cooler stuff on these films happens much later. We have [special-effects studio Industrial Light and Magic] working on the film, doing a lot of the CGI work, and I'm only seeing animatics of that."

So what's going on here is mostly heavy-duty acting, performed by respected thespians like Downey, Paltrow, Bridges and Terrence Howard (see "Terrence Howard Reveals Power-Thirsty Side Of Iron Man's Sidekick"). But later on, once Favreau's effects team gets to work, the director reveals that one scene in particular will unleash the full capabilities of the suit.

"From what I've seen, one of the most spectacular sequences has Iron Man flying and dog-fighting with F-22 jet fighters," Favreau beams, proud as a papa. "[He battles] the Raptors, the state-of-the-art for weapons technology."

"But sadly," Downey adds, brandishing a smile, "they're no match for the suit."

After 44 years of waiting, maybe — just maybe — we can hang in there for 12 more months.

Posted By: the G-man Fury in a Muthafucking Iron Man Movie - 2007-06-21 6:17 PM
AICN is reporting that Nick Fury will be a character in the new "Iron Man" movie and that he is being played by none other than Samuel L. Jackson.

\:woo\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Fury in a Muthafucking Iron Man Movie - 2007-06-22 1:08 AM
If that's true, then the circle is complete....and hilarious! \:lol\:
Posted By: Grimm Re: Fury in a Muthafucking Iron Man Movie - 2007-06-22 3:23 AM

"I want these fuckin Hydras off this muthafuckin Helicarrier!"
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Fury in a Muthafucking Iron Man Movie - 2007-07-28 1:52 AM
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Fury in a Muthafucking Iron Man Movie - 2007-07-28 2:04 AM
Favreau cut a special trailer for Comic Con. I'm looking to see if someone put it up on YouTube, but no luck on that yet. Here's what was said about the Iron Man panel:

• After a bunch of movies were hyped-up at the Paramount panel at Comic-Con International (we'll have more on them soon), they announced that as a special treat, they'd be showing "test animation" from Jon Favreau's Iron Man instead of making everyone wait until Saturday. It was obviously a gag as they started to show cheesy animation from the '60s cartoon and after a bit of that (and a lot of laughter from the packed auditorium), director Jon Favreau came out with his video camera in hand, shooting the audience and saying that he wanted to make sure to put it onto YouTube before anyone else could. Yup, we'd been Punk'd but we were given a special treat for the trouble.

Without much urging, he agreed to show some footage, actually a rough trailer, for the movie, rather than making everyone wait until Saturday to see Iron Man in action. It went by fairly quickly but this is what we remember:
    Warning, Spoiler:
    The footage starts with Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark addressing soldiers with a speech which is paraphrased here: "Is it better to be feared than respected? I say, 'Is it too much to ask for both?' With that in mind, I humbly present the crown jewel of Stark Industries' Freedom Line. It's the first missile system to incorporate our proprietary repulsor technology." He then says something about the best weapon being one you don't have to fire, but he disagrees and says that the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once. "That's how America does it." It's a great scene that shows the humor that Downey Jr. will be bringing to the role as do the next two scenes.

Then we see Tony Stark coming out of an event in a tuxedo and he's stopped by a Vanity Fair reporter to ask him questions about being a "merchant of death" and he makes a snappy comeback. (We also see Favreau as his bodyguard in the scene.)

The next scene shows a bunch of military vehicles driving through the desert to the tune of an AC/DC tune with Robert Downey Jr. sitting in the back with a soldier who wants to take a picture with him. He jokes "I don't want to see this on your MySpace" page and then the soldier makes a V sign and he says "No gang signs, please." The soldier puts the V down and he goes "I'm just kidding."

There's then an explosion as they're under attack and he runs for cover and then in the next shot, he wakes up in a cavern and opens his shirt to see a round metal device where his heart is. "What did you do to me?" he asks and a man in the cave says, "I did it to save your life," and explains how he has put an electro-magnet hooked up to a car battery to save him.

He then starts building the suit and the next few scenes show him taking on a few Iraqi-types and we get to see the first Iron Man suit in action to the tune of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." Lots of men are shooting at him but the bullets are bouncing off him and at one point, he swings his fist and his metal arm gets lodged into the cave walls and then one of the guys attacking him walks up and tries to shoot him in the Iron Man helmet but the bullet bounces back and hits him in the head.

The next few scenes are fairly fast-paced showing lots of explosions
    and a brief glimpse of Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, Terrence Howard as Rhodey and a few quick scenes showing the evolution of the Iron Man armor until it gets to the most current one. (That got a huge cheer.)

We then see Iron Man in that armor flying with two jets following him behind him and he goes flying off. We see a sheet of metal and a hammer hits a chisel that imprints the Iron Man logo and then there's another shot of the Iron Man armor flying.

The movie looks absolutely fantastic and it'll be great to see this trailer again on Saturday! You can also view a new T-shirt for the movie that was handed out here and here .
Posted By: Jeremy Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-29 2:13 AM
From the 'rama: More Iron Man armor images
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-29 2:14 AM
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-29 2:15 AM
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-29 11:44 PM

The footage shown at comic con. Looks pretty good.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 12:29 AM
Looks fucking awesome!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 12:50 AM
Pretty good? Try fucking awesome!

Downey is going to own that fucking movie. Can't wait...
Posted By: Chant Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 12:54 AM
If you haven't noticed, there's a trailer on youtube...
Posted By: Chant Re: Iron Man Revealed - 2007-07-30 12:56 AM
in fact...

here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRQjCG8tn4
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 12:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Pretty good? Try fucking awesome!

Downey is going to own that fucking movie. Can't wait...

I've never read a Iron Man comic (other than the Ultimates) and I've never been a fan of Downey. I'm hoping this movie makes me a fan of both.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 5:35 AM
I think if you just relax and enjoy the comic book ride, you'll dig the shit out of this movie. I don't know what it has to offer in terms of true substance. But, for the sheer sake of a guy suiting up in badass armor and kicking the crap out of things...I'm down...
Posted By: Illegal Machine Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 7:01 AM
I'm a HUGE Iron Man fan. I even had an Iron Man site for a couple of years.

Everything I've seen of this film so far makes me happy. As long as it takes iself seriously when it needs to, and strays from the Batman and Robin level hokey-ness I think it will be pretty damn good.

They've obviously got the cast and CG to make it happen.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 3:35 PM
So far, everything about this movie says "done right."
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 7:15 PM
agreed...
in my high school computer lab they had this poster showing a jet soaring through the sky and it said "you can't do this on drugs."

But Robert Downey jr. proved it wrong.

really makes you think.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-30 8:59 PM
That doesn't even make sense Ray...Oh wait...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-31 2:07 AM
Oh well, the trailers are down already. That's okay, I saved it on my hardrive...
Posted By: Chant Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-31 4:01 PM
Oh well, the trailers are down already. That's okay, I saved it on my hardrive...

The trailer is back up on Gametrailers.com
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-31 4:18 PM
Thank you Chant..that was awesome.
Posted By: Rob Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-31 8:44 PM
its here as well (film of the film, so if others get taken down, this likely will not)

• Here's one last tidbit from last weekend's Comic Con as I promised in the Joss Whedon article. We've seen the IRON MAN Mark 1 suit from a production photo that director Jon Favreau released a few months ago. You could also see video footage of the Mark 1 suit in battle within the Comic Con footage aired but of course, they tore that leaked video off Youtube this morning. Maniac Shadowhammer certainly helped people out who didn't see the last article in time...He linked it again in the "comment" section on another website. Daforce also sent me a new link of the video footage but I'm pretty sure they're going to get that pulled too.

Still, here's a new video link from a new site to the IRON MAN footage. Let's see how long before it too gets pulled. I hope director Jon Favreau places this footage on somewhere "official" in the same vein as Spielberg publishing his Comic Con footage over at Indiana Jones.com.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-07-31 10:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
You could also see video footage of the Mark 1 suit in battle within the Comic Con footage aired but of course, they tore that leaked video off Youtube this morning.

This is the stupidest thing that they could do right now. I just showed that clip to someone here at work who had no idea who Iron Man was or how it worked (she thought that he was transformed into Iron Man like magic or something, not understanding that it's a suit). She's now totally excited to see the movie. All the studio has to gain by letting this roll around on the net is to create more good buzz. Free fucking publicity,
Posted By: Rob Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-08-01 1:36 AM
the debate between free publicity and content ownership is a huuuuge issue

some companies get it, others don't. remember how bad the wwf and marvel were a few years ago, taking down all those fan sites? matt groening/simpsons stuff was just as bad.

typically, the most tollerant situations are with movies, as film "success" is more and more solely dependant upon box office numbers; specifically opening day. if you have a few thousand fans out there that wanna spread around your word with pictures, clips, or games or whatever, generally studios are all about that.

i really don't know why the iron man stuff is so different.

my best guess is there is a movie coming out in a week or two that was to be hyped for also including the trailer, and thus the studio wanted to control its distribution to maintain the trailer's clout. but, really, who knows. could just be a douchebag decision.
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-08-01 2:21 AM
If they didn't want the footage online THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE SHOWN IT AT A CONVENTION FULL OF NERDS.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 6:25 PM
the first official trailer is here: somebody youtube that shit.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/
Looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 7:51 PM
*Spoilers*
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 7:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Looks fucking awesome!
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 9:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
*Spoilers*
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 9:16 PM
Looks like most of the good stuff they showed before.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 9:37 PM
looks like most of the good stuff your mom showed before.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 9:54 PM
... in the butt.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 9:54 PM
heh
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 10:48 PM
That trailer looks so fuckin' cool. The brief glimpse of RDJ as Tonly looks like he nailed the part. Very psyched for that and The Dark Knight...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-10 11:37 PM
Looks fucking awesome!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-11 10:51 PM
Sweet...frikking sweet
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-12 10:20 AM
I like pizza.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-12 4:22 PM
Pepperoni pizza! Coming soon!
Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-17 11:41 PM

now youtubed.

Posted By: Chant Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-20 12:57 AM
I just looked this movie up on IMDB to see who's gonna play....alright, I admit it, to see who was gonna play Pepper Potts...

BUT WHO CARES??

I noticed that Ultimate Nick Fury's ultimatum has come true! Noone can play Nick Fury other than Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, and the discussion is not even open for debate...

That is fucking cool. So, we have Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (Damn straight!) and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury!

This just keeps getting better and better!

Either of the two, I think, couldn't have been better. I don't think there's anyone who'd be able to deliver, from what we've seen so far, a better Tony Stark.

And ONLY Samuel L. Jackson can play Nick Fury!

well, him and David Hasselhoff...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-09-20 1:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: Chant

And ONLY Samuel L. Jackson can play Nick Fury!

agreed...

Originally Posted By: Chant

well, him and David Hasselhoff...

that never happend...
Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-05 10:22 PM
Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-05 10:23 PM
 Quote:
Ready for that interesting rumor? According to a scooper at Ain't It Cool News, "There are some fuzzy politics going on with the Iron Man and Hulk movies -- they're shooting a scene TOGETHER! The trouble is, I can't tell if its an Iron Man scene with the Hulk in in or a Hulk scene with IRON MAN in it, more interestingly, it's possible that the SAME SCENE or some variation of it might be in BOTH movies lending to the comic book/single universe, many heroes idea seen in the past -- uber cool." Allegedly, Sam Jackson as Nick Fury will be the thread that ties the films together.

seeding for that rumored Avengers/Ultimates flick?
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-05 10:31 PM
It would be superb to have Iron Man and Hulk in the same movie.

Love to see Iron Man and the X- Men together, too.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-05 10:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

He looks like he should be running around the streets of London saying, " Delete! Delete! "
heh.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:09 AM
The costume looks sweet.
Posted By: Sonhaven Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:28 AM
Yeah..I'm pretty impressed...its alot better than I thought it'd be
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:33 AM
it looks fucking awesome!
Posted By: PJP Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:36 AM
fucking is always awesome!

with a woman that is!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:53 AM
Thank God for PJP!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-06 1:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: PJP
fucking is always awesome!

Originally Posted By: Beardguy57
Thank God for PJP!

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2007-12-10 8:08 PM
French movie poster

Posted By: Grimm Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-07 9:25 PM
 Quote:
Ain't It Cool News also has another crossover rumor: "So the scene that was shot was for the Hulk with General Thunderbolt who is very important to the Hulk. Anyway, Tony Stark meets with him -- which of course is a straight prelude to the 'Avengers' Movie."
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-07 11:34 PM
...with Favreau also wants to direct.

Personally, this shit better work. I hate thinking all these hero movies are contained in separate universes.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 1:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: TK-069

Personally, this shit better work. I hate thinking all these hero movies are contained in separate universes.

im rollin with tk on that one...
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 2:05 AM
Of course, this means if we include Spidey and X-Men, we'll have to add all the other FOX properties...

Daredevil.
Elektra.
Fantastic Four.

hurm.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 2:07 AM
damnit! daredevil extended cut maybe...but the rest..."Oh Hell Naw!"
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 2:08 AM
heh. Blade and Ghost Rider too!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 2:11 AM
only the first blade and ghost rider can kiss nowie's ass!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-01-08 2:40 AM
Yeah, I'm of the belief that only the GOOD Marvel movies coexist with Hulk and Iron Man...

Ideally...

• X-Men & X2
  • Daredevil (sans Garner)
  • Fantastic Four & FF 2 (barely...but, only because not all superhero movies have to be uber-serious and all...got to leave something for the kids)
  • Spider-Man & Spider-Man 2
  • Blade

Am I forgetting any?
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-04 10:40 AM

Apple trailer site
Posted By: Rob Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-04 10:45 AM
i thought the superbowl trailer looked really cgi-ish, however, i didn't mind it at all. for some reason, it didn't have the same "power rangers" feel to me that the spidey movies did.
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-24 10:38 AM
There's gonna be a new minute and a half trailer debuting during next weeks Lost.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-24 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'm of the belief that only the GOOD Marvel movies coexist with Hulk and Iron Man...

Ideally...

• X-Men & X2
  • Daredevil (sans Garner)
  • Fantastic Four & FF 2 (barely...but, only because not all superhero movies have to be uber-serious and all...got to leave something for the kids)
  • Spider-Man & Spider-Man 2
  • Blade

Am I forgetting any?

Punisher?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 12:07 AM
Maybe the new one. But, Thomas Jane's version? Nah...
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 12:09 AM
Meh, I thought it was good. There's always the Dolph version.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 12:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: PCG342

fail
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 1:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

fail
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 5:25 AM
Once again, its all a matter of personal choice.
Some people here would tell you that Hulk and Daredevil were shit as well.

For my money, the only weak (recent) Marvel films have been Spidey 3, Blade 3 and X-3 (notice a trend?), with only one terrible one, Elektra, which was damn near unwatchable!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 5:26 AM
i thought Daredevil kicked ass, elektra and hulk were shit....
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 5:44 AM
Daredevil was great (except that stupid playground fight scene), the directors cut was even better.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 5:49 AM
I agree. Take out the playground fight, Jennifer Gardner, and the Kingpin, and it would have been one of the best Marvel movies. Contrary to universal opinion, I actually liked Ben Affleck as the character. Think he did a damn good job, and I hope they can lure him back again one day...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 5:55 AM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 6:07 AM
I agree. Take out the playground fight, Jennifer Gardner, and the Kingpin, and it would have been one of the best Marvel movies. Contrary to universal opinion, I actually liked Ben Affleck as the character. Think he did a damn good job, and I hope they can lure him back again one day...

The best thing about the movie, which kinda made you look at the comic books and say "Why the fuck did nobody think of this sooner?", was the sense deprivation tank.
I even liked Farrell as Bullseye, I thought he was perfect in that role!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 6:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
The best thing about the movie, which kinda made you look at the comic books and say "Why the fuck did nobody think of this sooner?", was the sense deprivation tank.

Totally agree! That was one of the stand-out points for me. It rounded the character's world out in a more realistic fashion.

Quote:
I even liked Farrell as Bullseye, I thought he was perfect in that role!

A bit OTT sometimes. But, all in all, menacing. I think he would reign it in just a hair, it would be perfect. I'd love to see an all-out, full movie showdown between the two characters in a sequel...
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 7:27 AM
Am I the only one who didn't like Daredevil killing someone? Wasn't that the biggest break from the comic books?
I dunno. He chased one dude till he had a heart attack so..
Also, it's not like he's Batman.
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 7:35 AM
I've always thought of him as the Marvel version of Batman.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 7:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
Am I the only one who didn't like Daredevil killing someone? Wasn't that the biggest break from the comic books?

i wouldnt have been as mad if it had been consistent. he kills that guy at the beginning but then wont kill the kingpin (who killed his father and the woman he loved) because hes one of the "good guys"? Gay.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 3:53 PM
Batman killed people in the Burton films, and that still never bothered me cause its a movie.
Same as it never bothered me that Punisher was set in Miami, or Doom was on the rocketship with the FF.

Only times I hate stuff is when it adds nothing to the film itself, like introducing Gwen Stacey in Spidey 3, when it added nothing to the plot (they could have made up a character for the role she played).
Posted By: The Pun-isher Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 8:46 PM
Batman killed people in the Burton films, and that still never bothered me cause its a movie.
Same as it never bothered me that Punisher was set in Miami, or Doom was on the rocketship with the FF.

Or Ra's al Ghul being one of Bruce Wayne's teachers and the absence of the Lazarus Pit.

Quote:
Only times I hate stuff is when it adds nothing to the film itself, like introducing Gwen Stacey in Spidey 3, when it added nothing to the plot (they could have made up a character for the role she played).

Yeah, I agree. I didn't see the point of including her or her father if they weren't going to do anything important with them - it was such a waste (as was most of the movie, sadly).

DD killing people...I can see it happening, especially the way he was in the movie (which had the fanboys foaming at the mouth - heh heh heh). Although yeah, it didn't make sense for him not to kill The Kingpin (or for The Kingpin not to bring about his own demise). I guess they were expecting the movie to be more fiskally beneficial, and they'd bring a vengeful Kingpin back for revenge.
Posted By: rex Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:40 PM

Thats one of the things I didn't like about the Burton films.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: The Pun-isher

Or Ra's al Ghul being one of Bruce Wayne's teachers and the absence of the Lazarus Pit.

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I didn't see the point of including her or her father if they weren't going to do anything important with them - it was such a waste (as was most of the movie, sadly).

DD killing people...I can see it happening, especially the way he was in the movie (which had the fanboys foaming at the mouth - heh heh heh). Although yeah, it didn't make sense for him not to kill The Kingpin (or for The Kingpin not to bring about his own demise). I guess they were expecting the movie to be more fiskally beneficial, and they'd bring a vengeful Kingpin back for revenge.

fiskally? Anyway. In the comics, Daredevil has shown willingness to kill, though he doesn't always wind up having to kill someone.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:53 PM

fiskally?

Do you really need everything explained to you?
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:55 PM
I knew it's a pun, it's just a cringeworthy pun.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:56 PM
Once again, you fucked up and cant admit it!
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-25 9:59 PM
Whatever you say, Nowhereman.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-26 2:23 AM
I don't have a problem with comic characters killing people in their movies, if they're just as likely to in the comic book universe. Now, when I say that, I mean that I think it's only logical that guys like Batman and Daredevil would end up snuffing some lights if it came to it. The movies aren't limited by the narrow editorial vision of a child's franchise. They must be allowed to explore the characters beyond the rules of a comic book. So, I loved seeing Keaton take some fuckers out. I dug that Daredevil isn't afraid to spill a little blood (although I agree about the uneven-ness of it all). What I hate is when a character is forced to have to get around the killing stuff by, what is so obviously, an editorial decree, rather than the flow of the fiction. I think Batman Begins trailed that line pretty perfectly with Ras at the end. I like that he didn't save him. But, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think any Wolverine movie that isn't rated NC-17 because of brutal violence is weak. For characters like that, they should always be true to the nature of the character...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-26 3:10 AM
See, I can see why a Wolverine movie would not be adult rated (by allowing kids to see it, it ups the box office takings), but in this day and age of directors cuts etc, I dont see why there cannot be a dual release.
An edited kids friendly version, and a gore n guts adult version!
It'd only be a matter of off camera violence for the kid friendly version!
Posted By: The Pun-isher Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-26 8:10 AM
I knew it's a pun, it's just a cringeworthy pun.

The best/worst ones always are. A great American writer understood that (see my sig)

That's why I can never abStane from making them.
Posted By: The Pun-isher Re: Classic style armor: First look! - 2008-02-26 8:14 AM
But, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think any Wolverine movie that isn't rated NC-17 because of brutal violence is weak. For characters like that, they should always be true to the nature of the character...

They can have Wolverine rack up a bodycount without it needing to be NC-17 or even R, depending on how they film it. Use the right camera angles and some lighting, and we can have Wolverine chopping up people left and right without needing to go overboard on blood and guts.

Remember when Wolvie had Mariko's father shingen his swan song in the Frank Miller mini-series, back when Miller could write? We know what happened to Shingen, and we know it was bloody, but we never saw the death blow. It was actually cool that way, because our minds fill in what we don't see.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man movie - 2008-02-26 8:32 AM
Actually, Claremont wrote the mini-series that Miller illustrated...back when HE could write
Posted By: The Pun-isher Re: Iron Man movie - 2008-02-26 8:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Actually, Claremont wrote the mini-series that Miller illustrated...back when HE could write

Oh...whoops.

Yashida seen the embarrassed look on my face when I read that.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Iron Man movie - 2008-02-29 1:49 PM
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29294971
Posted By: thedoctor Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 8:06 PM
Posted By: rex Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 9:11 PM
This keeps looking better and better.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 9:42 PM
but are you stoked?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 9:45 PM
All over his stomach.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 9:47 PM
I kinda am.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-02-29 10:05 PM
It's gonna be a doozy.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-01 2:21 AM
I am stoked. That looks like perfection.

• -Pro
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-01 2:22 AM
I too, am stoked.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-09 9:33 AM
Robert Downey Jr. to be an actor portraying a Black man, puts Knut and TK to shame.

Film at 11.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 9:58 AM
This movie is looking awesome.

Iron Man Exclusive Trailer

Add to My Profile | More Videos

The only thing I'm afraid of is that they turn Tony into some kind of anti-war figurehead.

In the comic, he's a stanch conservative in love with his own rugged individualism. If he's anything less in the movie after his little experience, it's gonna deflate itself.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 12:11 PM
holy shit.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 4:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29294971">Iron Man Exclusive Trailer</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=29294971&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br><a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&videoid=29294971&title=Iron Man Exclusive Trailer">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home">More Videos</a>

The only thing I'm afraid of is that they turn Tony into some kind of anti-war figurehead.

In the comic, he's a stanch conservative in love with his own rugged individualism. If he's anything less in the movie after his little experience, it's gonna deflate itself.

Nice of you to post a video that we have never seen before.....sorry, I mean, that has already been posted!

Now, from my memory of Tony Stark in the comics, didnt he do exactly what has been shown in these films?
Turn a company that makes weapons into a company that didnt!
Posted By: Uschi's penis Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 5:24 PM

Nice of you to post a video that we have never seen before.....sorry, I mean, that has already been posted!

He's been distracted ever since I started posting.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 8:09 PM

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29294971">Iron Man Exclusive Trailer</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=29294971&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br><a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&videoid=29294971&title=Iron Man Exclusive Trailer">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home">More Videos</a>

Now, from my memory of Tony Stark in the comics, didnt he do exactly what has been shown in these films?
Turn a company that makes weapons into a company that didnt!

Wow! Really!?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 9:19 PM
The Iron Man book always walked the fence. It was anti-Communist when it first started being published, but quickly switched to Tony questioning building weapons that kill due to the rising anti-war sentiment of the 60's. He's developed weapons for S.H.I.E.L.D. over the years, but I think the character justified that as a way to continue being Iron Man and updating the suit to keep it non-lethal.
Posted By: whomod Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-11 10:04 PM
Sunday's Calendar had a big story on Iron Man being the 1st of the new MARVEL Studios films.

Quote:
March 9, 2008

Marvel is on a mission

The new studio, with superheroes on its side, seeks to conquer Hollywood. First up: Iron Man.

By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

BUILDING a superhero from scratch is noisy and hazardous. "Let's find a place where it's quieter!" The man shouting was Kevin Feige, the president of production for Marvel Studios, the Hollywood start-up that takes flight on May 2 with its first film, "Iron Man." Feige was walking, carefully, through one of the film's massive Playa Vista sets where a whirling metal saw was kicking up a cascade of bright orange sparks.

Once in a quieter corridor, Feige gushed about its special effects, but then said the greatest asset of the film is a hero with weakness hard-wired into his psyche. "That's what makes Marvel characters special, they are people who become heroes but also have flaws and they struggle with them," he said. "Look, the costumes can easily be the stars of these movies if you let them be . . . you have to flesh out the character. They battle bad guys, but they also battle these things within themselves."

Launching a major movie production company right now seems like a dicey venture. But the Marvel formula has been a spectacular success for other studios the last eight years. The self-doubting Spider-Man, the bickering Fantastic Four, the misunderstood X-Men and all the other Marvel misfits have racked up a stunning $5 billion in worldwide box office, most of that for Sony and Fox. Marvel now wants its own spot at the table. After four years of planning and winning over Wall Street, "Iron Man" is the first step in the company's quest to go from intellectual-property fount to a stand-alone Hollywood player that can greenlight big-time popcorn movies.

Feige's boss and friend, David Maisel, chairman of Marvel Studios, is pleased to be standing on the deck of a ship that can go in deep water. "We're the first since DreamWorks started 14 years ago that can greenlight its own $100 million movies. It doesn't happen very often." True, though Marvel is not a studio in the most traditional sense (it has fewer than three dozen employees, no lot, and it will turn to Paramount Pictures as its primary distribution pipeline.)

It makes for an intriguing story arc for the Marvel brand name, which next year celebrates its 70th anniversary. The beginning was not an ambitious one. The year after Superman landed at the newsstands, pulp-magazine publisher Martin Goodman decided to take a flier on this new "comic book" craze. The venture hardly looked like the stuff of history -- the pragmatic Goodman had a fairly low opinion of his newsstand products. "Fans," Goodman once said, "are not interested in quality."

Still, that first issue produced two lasting characters, the Human Torch and Namor the Sub-Mariner, and they were soon followed by patriotic World War II creation Captain America. But it wasn't until the 1960s that Marvel seized on an identity that really mattered in American pop culture. That's when Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and the other creators in the self-styled "House of Ideas" gave the world its first soapy superheroes, masked men who saved the world but somehow lost the girl, bounced their rent check and hid out from the police. Kirby's art, meanwhile, was so kinetic and surreal that Superman, over at rival DC Comics, instantly seemed like a caped Pat Boone, stiff and slow to understand the new rhythm.

For decades, none of Marvel's New York-based success story really mattered to Hollywood. Then in the late 1990s a new Marvel boss, Avi Arad, made it his crusade to get his company's classic heroes on the silver screen. The breakthrough came in the 2000 Fox film "X-Men," which was deeply loyal to the comic book and starred Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Its success started a cinematic windfall for all those old Lee, Kirby and Ditko characters, who were belatedly ideal for a moviegoing public in love with CGI wizardry and outsider heroes.

"The intention now," Feige said with a smile, "is to keep the streak alive."

That's easier said than done, especially since Marvel's most powerful properties have already flown across the screen for other studios. And there's the savage marketplace realities of today. Why go into the movie-making biz now?

Maisel said the question is the wrong one. "We're not in the movie business, we're in the 'Iron Man' business right now. Marvel owns the intellectual property. We have an Iron Man video game coming, the toys, the comics, we have an animated television show coming, a direct-to-DVD animated Iron Man movie last year. We're going to have an Iron Man ride at an amusement park in Dubai in a few years. We have a different perspective."

'Amazing confidence'

THE Beverly Hills office of Marvel Studios has been quite the scene in recent months. One afternoon you might see Robert Downey Jr., the star of "Iron Man," another time it might be Edward Norton, who gets green this June in "The Incredible Hulk." Edge of U2 has dropped by too, working on the music for Tony-winner Julie Taymor's planned Broadway musical of "Spider-Man."

The bright and tidy office has a gleaming statue of the Silver Surfer in its lobby, and in a rear room, behind a locked door, there's a giant "life-size" image of the new Hulk, who will make his first major appearance this week at ShoWest, the Las Vegas gathering of movie exhibitors. Another wall at the Marvel office is covered with storyboards for the film, including an arctic fight scene between the unjolly green giant and a killer whale. That scene didn't make it into the film, but maybe it can inspire the ride designers working on that $1 billion Marvel theme park that was announced in March by the Al Ahli Group in the United Arab Emirates.

"All of this, it's a time of amazing confluence for us," said Maisel, a former protégé of uber-agent Michael S. Ovitz who also made a career stop at Disney and served as president of Livent Inc., the theatrical production company. Maisel came to Marvel in 2004. Feige, a USC School of Cinema-Television grad, had already been there for four years by then and had worked on the "X-Men" and "Spider-Man" franchises.

The two aspire to take Marvel into the realm of Disney and Pixar as a film brand that speaks to audiences with instant clarity. "I believe," Maisel said, "we are doing something very special."

Perhaps, but Marvel Studios will have to do it without its biggest names: Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and the X-Men, as well as Arad, the Marvel executive who trailblazed the path to Hollywood but left the company in 2006. Fox also has the "X-Men" spinoff "Wolverine" (starring Jackman and now filming in Australia) and a possible second one in "Magneto." Daredevil and Ghost Rider are other fan favorites that have already had their bite at the screen apple.

It's fair to wonder if Marvel already rented out its best properties to others. That view is supported by the fact that the studio's second film will be a do-over of sorts -- Ang Lee's dour "Hulk" was released by Universal in 2003 and didn't energize audiences or critics (its second week U.S. box office plummeted 70%). The studio has also announced Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead") will direct "Ant-Man," a character that dates to 1962 but has gnat-sized name recognition with the public.

Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures, said that doesn't matter. Marvel has 5,000 characters in its library, and history has shown they don't need to be household names to click; New Line Cinema, for example, made three successful "Blade" films based on an especially obscure Marvel character.

"Only Pixar has the sort of streak going that Marvel has right now. . . . the stories, both the ones people know and the ones they will learn about, are fantastic," Moore said. "There's an awareness when people see the name that, 'Oh, here comes another movie that I can enjoy as an adult and take my kids to.' "

Marvel Studios also has the signature characters Captain America and Thor in active development. Black Panther, Dr. Strange and the Avengers have been circled as other feature film candidates. And the studio is part of a strong company. Marvel Entertainment went public in 1995 at $12 a share; this past week, it was hovering near $25.60.

Still, this is an interesting time to be a new gambler in town. Just over a week ago came the news that New Line Cinema, the studio behind the "Lord of the Rings" franchise, will be gutted and folded into Warner Bros.

In 2005, Marvel Studios secured $525 million in financing with Merrill Lynch, with a strategy to make 10 films in five years with budgets between $100 million and $160 million. But last month, Maisel informed investors that, due to the writers strike, the studio had already been thrown off its plan. There will be only one film next year, and some observers privately say that might not even happen.

Seminal moments

FOR many comics fans, the harrowing opening scene from Bryan Singer's "X-Men" in 2000 was a Hollywood turning point: The sequence in a Nazi concentration camp announced the sub-genre could take its source material seriously and succeed. But Feige, a bit playfully, said he believes the true pivot point actually came three years earlier.

"I tell people the seminal film that's responsible for everything that has happened was 'Batman & Robin,' " he said, referring to Joel Schumacher's infamously bloated 1997 film for Warners Bros. that nearly put the entire sub-genre on ice. "If it hadn't been so bad, things wouldn't have gotten so good."

It was Marvel executive Arad, once a toy designer in Israel, who came to town with the idea of making "serious" comic-book films and putting them in the hands of grown-up fans of 1960s Marvel, such as director Sam Raimi, who had a mural of Spider-Man on his bedroom wall as a kid. Now, the "serious" approach is standard; just look at "Batman Begins," "300" and "Sin City." Marvel is keeping pace -- "Iron Man" may be about a guy with a red metal suit, but it stars three Oscar nominees (Downey, Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges) as well as one winner (Gwyneth Paltrow). A decade ago, that would have been shocking; now it's barely noted.

At the Playa Vista set late last year, "Iron Man" director Jon Favreau repeated the mantra that audiences relate best to conflicted heroes. "That's where the story and the character is," he said, "but this film has amazing toys too, believe me."

The story is of Tony Stark, a narcissistic weapons tycoon who enjoys women, booze and the sound of lucrative explosions. But while in Afghanistan (updated from the 1960s comic book, when it was Vietnam), Stark is wounded, kidnapped and forced to design a weapon for the enemies of America. He makes a battle suit that not only helps him escape, it's a life-support system for a coronary injury.

On the set, Downey, looking muscular and especially sly with a new goatee, made no bones about everyone involved hoping a franchise -- and, by extension, a mainstay studio -- is being born.

"There's a lot to the story and the character, and the approach now is no longer, 'Oh, here's a comic book, this should be mindless,' " he said. "This is fun, but we're also taking it seriously."
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-15 2:47 PM
Impressive.

And in 2001 I was predicting Marvel would be shut in 5 years.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-15 3:49 PM
you also predicted poo would be the new big mac.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-15 3:56 PM
And in Australia, it is!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-15 3:57 PM
Oy!
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-16 3:25 AM
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
you also predicted poo would be the new big mac.

You should try the chocolate thickshake.
Posted By: rex Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 2:53 AM

Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 3:57 AM
I dunno guys, its not looking as good as Steel!
Posted By: big_pimp_tim Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 8:56 AM
it was a classic!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 4:28 PM
I know man.
The acting, the special effects, the story....all genuine Oscar winning potential.
I think they passed it over cause it was about black people!
Posted By: big_pimp_tim Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 5:43 PM
stoopid rassists.

not that i own it, but thats only because i am waiting to the special edition dvd.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-03-28 5:55 PM
I'm waiting for the super special edition!
Apparently it comes out long after I have died!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-02 7:20 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=51470
 Quote:
Robert Downey Jr., who plays the title character in Jon Favreau's upcoming Iron Man movie, told SCI FI Wire that he's aware that his personal history resonates with that of his character, millionaire playboy Tony Stark, who has his own history of substance abuse.

The tabloid-fodder Oscar nominee--who is perhaps better known for his prison sentence (on drug and alcohol-related charges) and rehab stints than for his critically acclaimed performances in such films as Chaplin and The Singing Detective--addressed the issue in a question from SCI FI Wire on the film's Playa Vista, Calif., set last June.

Downey, who successfully completed rehab in 2002 and by all accounts has been clean and sober since, is ready for the inevitable question.

"I think when someone has had a fundamental change, and they're not just trying to backpedal and make it seem like, 'I'm going to rehab again, everything's fine,' whateve, ... my thing is, what else is attractive [to me about the role] is, yeah, Tony Stark, he's been known to go bonkers and be so irresponsible that he's, like, too hammered to put on his shoes," Downey says in his typical elliptical way. "And [when they approached me,] I was like, 'Really?' And they were like, 'Yeah, really.'"

Even so, Downey downplays the significance of his personal history to the casting and the character. "There's so much stuff in this movie as it is that we decided not to do, like, the Pirandello thing," he says, referring to the Italian dramatist and his play, Six Characters in Search of an Author, in which the lines between actors and their characters are blurred. "But I get it. In a way, that's why it's, like, ideally suited for me, and I'm ideally suited for it."

In a well-known 1979 Iron Man comic arc, "Demon in a Bottle," Stark struggles with alcoholism, a first for a major superhero character.

That particular aspect of Stark's character won't come up in the first Iron Man movie, but will be addressed in any sequels, director Favreau says. He acknowledges the similarities between Stark and Downey's own personal histories, but added that the casting allowed him to go to new places.

"When we cast Robert--when he was approved and we got him to be in the movie and Marvel gave it the OK--it completely freed me," Favreau said. "Because I knew I was halfway there to having a movie that I could be proud of. ... I can't think of anybody better than him. He brings a reality, a humor, a panache, ... a life of experience. ... There's a lot of Tony Stark in him, and that's so much better than trying to teach somebody to pretend that they are funny or pretend that they are smart or pretend that they are talented."
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-02 7:30 PM
New pics.

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 5:31 PM
Posted By: rex Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 5:36 PM
That was just fucking cool.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 9:44 PM
I'm almost as psyched for this movie as I am for Dark Knight. That clip was sweet.
Posted By: rex Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 10:02 PM
I have a feeling that this movie will be this years Batman Begins.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 11:00 PM
So, no matter how good it is Pariah will hate it?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Newest Iron Man Movie Trailer - 2008-04-14 11:14 PM
So, no matter how good it is Pariah will hate it?

Yeah, like that narrows it down at all.
Posted By: thedoctor Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-17 5:00 PM
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=28412
 Quote:
Downey enters the room wearing the same pin-striped suit he's seen wearing in the 'Iron Man' footage that was screened at the convention.

Q: Is that outfit yours or Tony Stark's?

Robert Downey Jr.: I wore it in the movie, but you'll notice it's my name on the inside, which I always thought would be weird, like if, in the scene I just went, [opens his jacket and flashes the label] you know! That wouldn't make sense.

I think I probably bitched out the costume person, "why doesn't it say Tony Stark on the inside?"

"Cause…I mean…well, cause you're real and he's not."

But I don't see it that way.

Q: Looks like you're having a hell of a fun time with this part.

Downey: Yeah. I mean, come on.

I'm the guy who can see a mediocre trailer in the theater, and everyone else goes, "oh, whatever," and I'm sitting there feeling embarrassed because I have chills. So to see something that really works, and people responding to it favorably, and to also be the person who's the guy in that…I still don't quite get it…

Q: How did it feel when they showed the trailer and people were so psyched.

Downey: I was in Kawaii shooting on this picture I'm doing there right now and all of a sudden…

I mean we're there in the middle of the jungle doing this Viet Nam comedy sequence and even out there, literally in the bush, people's blackberry's and cells going off and we were like…[pantomimes excited thumbs ups]…out there covered in mud

Q: The beard is a good look.

Downey: It's actually a totally different looks. [In Iron Man] I have sideburns and a wig.

Q: What attracted you to the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man?

Downey: He just starts off as a guy who is desperate to save his own life and is very surprised that he was put in a position where he has to do so. I don't think he had a sheltered life. I think he just was just probably in a lot of denial about the ramifications of what he did for a living.

I don't think it's a film about someone's conscience getting the better of them. I think it's a film about survival and being conflicted. I think it's a pretty apt metaphor for the 21st century human being.

We have such a wealth of information and ability and yet, twenty years ago you couldn't just go online and say, "Oh that's my opinion, I'll register it here." You tended to go out and say or do something about it, or write a letter or whatever.

I just love that kind of take-action…basically someone who has been sheltered by choice and then takes action and it's all…it's just so weird.

You go to work all these days and then the whole film is all about heart. It's subtlety laced through the footage you saw, but I got it. Every day they'd be gluing an arcade to my chest and I'd be like, "I wonder what the essence of…oh yeah! There it is! The heart, the heart center, what's your heart, what's the truth of your …?"

I read a lot of Bodie Tree bullshit and now I literally have it glued to my heart.

[mocking] "I still don't understand where this guy's coming from…"

Q: How critical was director Jon Favreau in helping you develop your version of Tony Stark?

Downey: The character is a combination of Jon and I. Tony Stark is his direction and my execution and sometimes my ideas and then his direction of those ideas. My line of dialogue that he scratched and challenged me to write something better and then his dialogue that I judged and we shot anyway.

Something that we wrote on paper and said "Wow, this isn't gonna work." And then we shot it and it really worked. Or sometimes it looked really great on paper and we got there and said, "We knew the other shoe had to drop."

We were so lucky and fortunate every day, always made the day. Always were happy with what we'd done at the end of the day. If we were less happy some days we'd give it another shot or we'd realize that it was how it was supposed to be, or maybe we didn't need it.

Q: Did you respond to the flaws in Tony Stark as something you could sink your teeth into?

Downey: Again, going back to that obvious metaphor, in that his wound or his weakness ultimately winds up being the source of his strength.

I guess Stan Lee said that he created this character on a dare to see if, in the very anti-establishment, mid-to-late 60s he could make a Howard Hughes-esque billionaire, weapons manufacturer in a very non-military-industrial-complex-oriented society…but have him have this wound. He said they'd gotten more fan mail than they'd gotten for any of their characters, particularly from women, who felt that somehow or another they could turn Tony around.

Q: You're known for being a character actor in smaller movies. What was it like working with the other actors?

Downey: I said it on the panel and she said that I was bullshitting, and I wasn't. I reminded her that I wasn't and she just shrugged me off anyway.

Gwyneth's instincts were really, really sound. John's and mine tended not to be far off on any given day, but if we weren't sure we checked with her.

Terrence is so smart and has such a knack for it. A lot of the dialogue and the ideas and things were stuff that he would be watching rehearsals for a scene he wasn't gonna be in, and then he would contribute to that.

We were really concerned about the Rhodie and Tony relationship, there are so many relationships you're juggling, and you'll see, and I won't say much about it, but we went through a series of events together, both in him coming on my massive private plane to come on this weapons test, to being in the weapons test, to after the weapons test, to after my escape and/or rescue, that are really good by kind of any movie standard, even if it wasn't an action movie. Some of it's really touching, or remarkably funny and offbeat and really pushes the limits of what you might think

That was all stuff we created.

I'm so sad that Jeff Bridges isn't here because he was kind of our…he's the old school master. During the time we were shooting I said to my son Indio, "are you ready…to see The Dude"

He goes, "Who's The Dude?"

I said, "We're going to blockbuster. We're buying 'Big Lebowski'"

[After watching it] he was like "That was awesome!"

Q: Would you do an Avengers movie?

Downey: Oh yeah! I'd probably be the best deal in the lot.
Wildly Popular 'Iron Man' Trailer To Be Adapted Into Full-Length Film
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-19 6:45 PM
Frank Burns User 7500+ posts 04/19/08 08:44 AM Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man

?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-20 4:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/page/parade-rdj/rdj;_ylt=AsaBToBwsNw.FP6IyhgDvw2s0NUE

Quote:
"I'm not a poster boy for good behavior and recovery in Hollywood," Robert Downey Jr. says. "I'm just a guy who knows he has a lot to be grateful for."
ADVERTISEMENT

For much of his adult life, Downey, 43, was caught in a ruinous cycle of drug addiction, imprisonment and disgrace. His friends, lovers and therapists all tried to help. Nothing worked.

And then, something changed.

"Five or six years ago, I saw the writing on the wall. I knew the party was over. It was time for me to come out of the Dark Ages and get real," he says.

Downey lives on a quiet cul-de-sac in Los Angeles. The house is filled with contemporary art, including pieces he did himself. On the piano is a picture of Downey costumed as the comicbook superhero he plays in his new movie, Iron Man, opening May 2.

"Look at this!" Downey exclaims delightedly, picking up a plastic doll of himself in Iron Man armor. "I've done something most people thought I'd never do. I've become a leading-man superhero in a big action movie!"

Iron Man, co-starring Gwyneth Paltrow, is the latest of Downey's more than three dozen features. Like the superhero franchises Spider-Man, Batman and Superman, it is expected to be a hugely profitable blockbuster.

"I went after Iron Man because Keanu Reeves got The Matrix, and Johnny Depp got Pirates," he says. "I'm looking at all these posters of the movies I've seen with my son, and I'm thinking, 'Damn! I could do that!' "

Downey, who says he was "tired of working my butt off doing films nobody sees," also will open later this summer in what he describes as "a very very raucous comedy called Tropic Thunder, with Ben Stiller." In the film, a send-up of Vietnam War movies, Downey wears blackface as an actor playing a black Army sergeant. The part is already inciting controversy. Downey, though, insists it is the kind of role the late Peter Sellers might have done.

Raised in a show-business family, Downey claims that by 8 he already had used drugs with his dad, a fi lmmaker. When he later dropped out of high school and moved to New York, his father wouldn't support him. "That's part of education," he observes, "the moment when your dad says, 'The gravy train is done.' "

Within a year of hitting New York, Downey began getting work as an actor. In 1984, he joined Sarah Jessica Parker in the cast of the film Firstborn. They were 19 and fell in love.

"We quickly moved in together and played house," he recalls. "It was idyllic." He and Parker settled in Los Angeles, and Downey's movie career took off after his astonishing performance in 1987's Less Than Zero. It established him, at 22, as among the finest actors of his generation.

Downey fast developed a reputation as a party boy. It didn't stop him from getting major films, but his self-indulgence subverted his relationship with Parker.

"I was so selfish," he admits. "I liked to drink, and I had a drug problem, and that didn't jibe with Sarah Jessica, because it is the furthest thing from what she is. She provided me a home and understanding. She tried to help me. She was so miffed when I didn't get my act together.

"I was making money," he continues. "I was mercurial and recklessly undisciplined and, for the most part, I was happily anesthetized. Sarah Jessica would pull me out of a hangover, and we'd go pick out furniture together." He shakes his head at the memory. "She is a force of nature!"

He and Parker stayed together for seven years. She broke up with him in 1991. "I had very much this post-adolescent, faux nihilistic, punk-rock rebellious attitude," he says. "I thought my way was so much cooler than people who were actually building lives and careers.

"I was in love with Sarah Jessica," he quietly confesses, "and love clearly was not enough. I was meant to move on. And, after some heartache, she was meant to find her home with a great star." Describing Parker's husband, actor Matthew Broderick, Downey adds, "He is a lot more gifted and grounded than I ever was. They have a great kid."

Shortly after his breakup with Parker, Downey married model Deborah Falconer, and their son, Indio, was born. "Our marriage and having a child probably kept me from going off the rails completely," he says, "but it wasn't enough to right the ship."

By 1996, Downey's drug use became public with his arrests for drug, gun and DWI offenses. Falconer left him, taking their son with her.

"You use whatever rationalization you can to justify the fact that you're not living truthfully," he observes about substance abuse. "You make this death machine seem glamorous so you can get on to the next moment. But it isn't glamorous, and it isn't fun.

"People rise out of the ashes because, at some point, they are invested with a belief in the possibility of triumph over seemingly impossible odds."

Meeting his third great love, producer Susan Levin, also helped his recovery. "Things started to change when I met my life partner, Mrs. Downey," he says, using Susan's married title as a sweet salute. She told me, 'I'm not doing that [drug] dance with you. I'm drawing a line in the sand here.' She was absolutely clear about it. That doesn't mean that other women, business associates, movie directors, insurance companies, judges and law enforcement hadn't been clear about it too. It was that, before I met Mrs. Downey, I just didn't give a goddamn. What changed is that I cared."

He pauses a moment. "She said, 'We'll build a relationship that works and will last.' I believed her. We were swept up in the promise of that. We live in this commitment to each other.

"Now it's all about becoming rooted in the mundane, in the day-to-day stuff," he continues. "Life is 70% maintenance. I think of myself as a shopkeeper or a beekeeper. I'm learning the business of building a life. Instead of getting instant gratification by getting high, I push my nose as far into the grindstone as I can. The honey, the reward, is the feeling of well-being, the continuity, the sense that I am walking toward a place I want to go."

Upstairs, his son Indio, now 14, is watching TV. "My son is gifted and artistic and has a great sense of humor," Downey tells me, "yet he's a very contemplative guy. That's good. I don't want him to be in a hurry to fi nd out who he is. I'm a guy who was in such a hurry that I missed the train four or fi ve times. I didn't understand the importance of the crossroads I found myself at. As a dad, I think that my job is to do the right thing -- to prepare him for what is coming in his life.

"I used to be so convinced that happiness was the goal," Downey says, "yet all those years I was chasing after it, I was unhappy in the pursuit. Maybe the goal really should be a life that values honor, duty, good work, friends and family."
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-21 3:09 AM

• The Incredible Hulk panel at the New York Comic Con seemed to set the stage in quite possibly reversing the taste left in fandom’s mouth by Ang Lee’s 2003 artsy interpretation of the comic icon.

Director Louis Leterrier was joined on stage by the film’s producer Gale Anne Hurd and Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios.

Leterrier, known best State-side for his work on The Transporter Euro-action flicks told the crowd he had just got into town from Seattle where he was working on the film’s score, composed by Craig Armstrong.

“It’s Star Wars good,” he told the crowd. A statement greeted by a skeptical grown mixed with cheers. “We will have a final mix next week.”

When asked what’s new, Feige replied simply: “We have a kick-ass villain.”

Which was the cue to roll the footage of John Hurt as Gen. Thunderbolt Ross and Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky, discussing the decidedly painful use of a “super soldier” formula injected into the subject’s deep muscle tissue and the bones. (Later in the panel it was hinted that the vial was the same colors as Captain America.)

After the footage, Tim Roth joined the panelists on stage. Leterrier and Feige made it clear that this version of The Hulk was not meant to diminish what Ang Lee created, but to move the story in a direction more familiar to the fans. To make it a more traditional approach to the character:

“We needed a big ass fight in this movie,” Feige said. “The Abomination is as big as it comes. We wanted the Hulk to be a hero. Against this guy the Hulk is the underdog.”

Leterrier premiered a five-minute clip, not yet complete, of Ross and Blonsky pursuing the Hulk. We see Banner being chased through what looks like an Ivy League university or tony hospital while his nemesis’ daughter Betty Ross (Liv Tyler) looks on. The U.S. Army uses tear gas which only unleashes The Hulk. We see him tussle with Blonsky. Despite looking human, Blonsky is amazing acrobatic, strong and quick. The clip ends with Blonsky gets kicked in the chest by The Hulk.

Asked if this incarnation of The Hulk would speak the film’s director Louis Leterrier joked about the green Goliath’s famous phrase: “Hulk Smash? We should put that in.”

Later in the panel a fan asked how influenced he was by the 1970s Hulk TV show.

“In France Marvel Comics were not that popular," when he was growing up. “But The Hulk TV show was very popular. Bill Bixby was absolutely amazing in it. And a guy called Lou Ferrigno was in it …”, which was the cue for the fan-favorite to walk onto the stage to huge applause.

Ferrigno walked across the stage, stood behind Leterrier and Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studio and flexed his muscles to even more applause.

“You see what I started?” he joked to the appreciative crowd.

Ferrigno told the audience how he auditioned for the 1980s animated Hulk TV series and cupping his microphone in his hands bellowed: “Hulk Mad! Hulk Smash!”

At which point Leterrier said Ferrigno is going to do the Hulk voice in the new movie, invited the actor to the studio and that it was “a deal.”

The panel ended with the premiere of the new Hulk trailer, though the director said it was incomplete and using an alternative soundtrack, the ad built on the previously released trailer, explaining in quick succession that Bruce Banner has been in hiding, traveling the world, working on trying to find a “cure” for his malady. We see General Thunderbolt Ross played perennial sci-fi movie actor John Hurt ordering a “snatch and grab” operation to bring Banner back to the U.S.

Next we see Banner, played by Edward Norton running through the streets of what looks like the slums of Rio de Janeiro. The scenes of the Hulk/Blonsky fight are shown. Then we see scenes of Blonksy becoming, well, lumpy and finally we see the Abomination and Hulk throwing down in Midtown.

The audience ate it up, but after the credits a scene was appended to the trailer that seems to lay rest to one of the biggest Hulk rumors on the net: We see General Ross with what appears to be a black eye (or he is rip-roaring drunk) holding up a bar with a drink in his hand. We cut to the bar door opening, and like an old-school western we see a man in silhouette enter the bar and we hear Robert Downey, Jr.’s voice. Due to the screams in the audience what he says is barely audible, but then he walks up to Ross, we see Downey’s face. Ross compliments him as “always having the nicest suits.” Then Downey says to Ross: “I hear you have an unusual problem?”

“You should talk,” Ross retorts.

“You should listen,” says Downey.

Cut to black. Cue audience pandemonium.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-21 3:18 AM
Ferrigno as voice? Neat!

Downey confirmed in cameo? Cool!
Posted By: Chant Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-30 11:18 AM
Tonight is the night it's going down!

And I've got really good tickets \:p
Posted By: Chant Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-04-30 10:09 PM
Great movie, absolutely awesome!
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-01 4:10 AM
I'm seeing it Friday.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-01 4:12 AM
likewise...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 4:58 PM
For what it's worth everyone from AICN to Fox News is going berserk with praise for "Iron Man."
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 6:54 PM
Thank god! I can't like anything unless they say its good. Now I can go and see it without being afraid of turning into a liberal.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 8:40 PM
My point, Brian, was note that a variety of different types of sites were giving good reviews to the movies. That's good news because it tends to help show that the film has broad appeal.

I thought you'd appreciate knowing that AICN loves the film, given that the cater to the basement dwelling virgin crowd.
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 8:44 PM
No, your point was to link to two sites that you jerk off to.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 8:47 PM
If I was going to link to a page I jerk off to I would have posted a link to your mom's facebook page.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:08 PM
If I was going to link to a page I jerk off to I would have posted a link to your mom's facebook page.

Whoa she has a facebook too?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:18 PM
She did. But it's down now.

Heh. Just like rex's mom.
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy

Whoa she has a facebook too?

Don't you have a thread to rip off?
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:34 PM
Yeah but there are just too many "rex's mom" threads to choose from!
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:35 PM
You really are retarded, aren't you?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:38 PM
Whoa. Watch it, Jeremy. rex just called you "retarded." Given the years he spent sweeping at ARC, if there's one thing rex knows, it's retarded.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 9:46 PM
Well it was either that response or his current classic "If you say so". I applaud his choice to be a little more aggressive.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:08 PM
im just suprised he didnt call you beardguy jr...
Posted By: Chant Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:12 PM
not to spoil anything, but might I suggest that when the movie is done, you might want to wait with leaving until after the credits...

Just a thought, juuuuust a thought...
Posted By: whomod Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:14 PM
 Quote:
Confirmed Iron Man movie spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoiler

At the end of the credits, Stark comes home and finds Nick Fury in his living room -staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative"

I'll be the first one to say that this sounds rather cheesy.

It's typical comic geek stuff. "Avengers Initiative"?? WTF is that? sez the general moviegoing public? And thus you end a perfectly good film with an ending most people who don't even know who the Avengers or Nick Fury Or fucking S.H.I.E.L.D. for that matter, are, will be left scratching their heads at.

Luckily it sounds as if they've buried it where most people won't notice it. But this is the pitfall of a comic book company, who's audience continues to dwindle every year to where they now only number a few thousand, owning the movie studio. You start thinking the movie audience is the same as the comic book reading audience. And for the most part, IT'S NOT!
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:15 PM
Yeah, because Sam Jackson is Nick Fury and pays Tony Stark a visit.

SPOILERS!
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:16 PM
Damnit whomod!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:17 PM
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-01 10:34 PM
im just suprised he didnt call you beardguy jr...

Don't encourage the boy!
Posted By: Chant Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-02 12:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Glacier16
Yeah, because Sam Jackson is Nick Fury and pays Tony Stark a visit.

SPOILERS!

The irony is that I didn't get to see it, because I didn't know about it until I'd gotten home from the movie theatre
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 12:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
I'm seeing it Friday.

Or not...time for a back up plan.
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 1:32 AM
Please keep us updated.
Posted By: whomod Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 2:00 AM

Quote:
Robert Downey Jr. is ready to play the hero in 'Iron Man'

The reformed bad boy is back on the industry's radar. It's probably that flying metal suit he's wearing.

By Rachel Abramowitz
April 27, 2008

TO become a mega-movie star these days, a man must don the tights. With a few notable exceptions like Leonardo DiCaprio, who had the good fortune to be in the highest-grossing movie of all time (that would be "Titanic"), almost every $20-million man has done his time as a caped crusader, masked marvel or some popcorn equivalent, such as a pirate or extraterrestrial G-man. Call it the Nicolas Cage career plan, in which Cage traded in artistic cred for more muscles, Bruckheimer-bravado and enormous paychecks. In his canny wake have followed Johnny Depp, Tobey Maguire, Keanu Reeves, Will Smith -- the list of stars who've streamlined their individuality for mega-stardom goes on and on.

Now it's Robert Downey Jr.'s turn.

Huh?

HARD AT WORK: Robert Downey Jr.’s versatility is tested by three diverse roles.

Yup, the 43-year-old ex-junkie, ex-con, Oscar-nominated professional entertainer is renouncing his title as the talent most likely to disappoint, everyone's lovable screw-up, the walking cautionary-tale. He's assuming the mantle of "Iron Man," another in a long line of comic book renditions, which hits theaters Friday, kicking off the summer movie season.

Given Downey's years as a reigning wit, an unflappable, unpredictable screen presence, the thought of him soaring the skies in a red metal suit and bopping bad guys is a little depressing to someone over 25, except for the fact that Downey seems so darn happy about it. Really, really happy. Relieved. Maybe even grateful.

He's about to barnstorm the world on a month-long "Iron Man" tour, and he's genuinely thrilled. Finally, he's the headliner -- the one with his mug on dolls and Slurpee cups. "It's feeling the support of the machine of the industry and all that behind you. You know, supporting what you busted your ass doing," he explains.

Despite having worked in Hollywood since he was a teenager, Downey has never been part of the blockbuster machine, the kind of star who makes studio execs see dollar signs. "I'm just on people's radar in a different way," he says. "If you're not on someone's radar, you don't notice because there's no, like, business pheromone coming off of them."

REDEMPTION

LIFE is finally good.

He's not dead. He's not on drugs. As recently as five years ago, Downey had to pay for his own insurance to even appear in a movie, and now a studio is banking a huge franchise on him, and the buzz-o-meter is off the charts. As Tony Stark, debonair super-nerd weapons tycoon turned superhero, he's playing a character who is essentially a PG-riff on his persona -- he's decadent-lite, a self-indulgent high-flier who wakes up at age 40 and decides to do good. In the film, Stark is captured by guerrillas in Afghanistan, realizes how the arms he's been pushing for the last decades are creating more harm than good and develops a techno-suit that allows him to fly, shoot fire and escape his jail cave. It's an origin story, refashioned as a coming-of-middle-age saga -- Stark sets out to atone for his life of sin -- but will he be redeemed?

Hmmm. Art imitating life anyone?

Almost every movie star with a brain is professionally charming in an interview, but Downey's charm goes far beyond that. It appears wired into his DNA, an endearing need to be liked that coexists with a fierce desire not to care what anybody thinks. Antic deadpan is one of his modes. Teflon vulnerability is another. You have to spend only five minutes with the guy to understand why Hollywood stuck by him through his travails -- it's a testament to his talent and innate likability.

When the cast of professional image-managers finally leave the hotel suite, Downey sprawls out in a chair with balletic grace and downshifts into a thoughtful-philosophical-jazz monologuist mode. He's ready to professionally opine on himself as required by his role as atoning movie star. He smokes a cigar, perhaps his only remaining vice, and his innate restlessness is confined to fidgety opening and shutting a small silver suitcase that contains a cornucopia of vitamin supplements for his upcoming multi-continent publicity tour. "That's a pituitary formula. That's for jet lag," he says, pointing to various bottles. "Anyone who doesn't need their yin tonified is beyond me," he deadpans.

CLIMBING BACK

Downey has been working up a storm -- by many accounts he steals the show in the late summer comedy "Tropic Thunder" with his performance as an Oscar-winning Australian actor named Kirk Lazarus who goes for the ultimate transformation by having his skin darkened in a Singapore clinic so he can convincingly play an African American screen commando in a Vietnam epic. "He stays in character all the time even when he's not filming," explains director/costar Ben Stiller. Still, as Stiller notes, "the voice and his look is so far from who he is, when [Robert] would drop character, it would be disconcerting. He's been underutilized in the comedy world."

Downey also has his would be-Oscar contender later this year. Just last week, he finished his part as Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez in "The Soloist," a film about Lopez's relationship with a musically gifted homeless schizophrenic, played by Jamie Foxx. Downey says his wife, producer Susan Levin Downey, told him, "You look like a billy goat with your gray beard and the hair. She goes, 'Put a nice rinse in your hair for the press tour and shave, and don't come home until you've cleaned up things,' " recounts Downey.

Downey's sober re-ascension of Hollywood is a far cry from the guy who was once arrested while driving his Porsche down Sunset Boulevard naked, chucking phantom rats out the window. Or the man-boy who played Goldilocks by wandering into a neighbor's house and falling asleep in a child's bed only to be awakened by paramedics. The years 1996 to 2000 flashed by in a blur of drug arrests and failed drug tests, and was capped by a year's stint in the California state prison in Corcoran after he violated probation. He reemerged in television's "Ally McBeal," won a Golden Globe and was fired after he tumbled off the wagon and was arrested for cocaine and methamphetamine possession.

After a year in rehab, he began rebuilding his career again, eventually nabbing more interesting movies such as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Zodiac" and "Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus." Still, no one was thinking of him to top-line a would-be commercial juggernaut, and "Iron Man" didn't exactly drop in his lap.

"Much to my surprise, I really didn't fit any of the criteria for the kind of actor they thought they should cast," says Downey.

The film is the first to be fully financed by Marvel, the comic book giant. Unlike Spider-Man, who's earnest, or Batman, who's moody, Iron Man is a geek turned chic -- Bill Gates crossed with George Clooney, a hero for the Google age. It would be better if the actor who played him was actually smart, rather than pretending to be smart. And for the Marvel team, there was one more potential hurdle -- Iron Man never starred in his own TV series, and so doesn't have the mainstream awareness factor of his more famous superhero brethren. It mattered -- a lot -- who donned Iron Man's shiny red turbo-suit.

As it turned out, Downey brought along his own bag of amusing tricks -- upgrading the character's flip awareness -- adding subtext and sizzle when there wasn't any.

Producer Kevin Feige, who's also president of production for Marvel, remembers being distinctly underwhelmed by the first list of potential Iron Mans sent over by the casting director. "Nothing popped for us," he says. Director Jon Favreau, who'd popularized retro-cool in "Swingers," made a mainstream hit with "Elf" and had been brought on to give the film some hipster panache, was fiddling with something on the bookshelf when a name suddenly dropped from his lips: "Robert Downey Jr."

"We both went, 'That's interesting,' " says Feige. They quickly dismissed the idea, but still it lingered.

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (Mark III armor) in the movie "Iron Man" is not the first respected actor to take on a heroic role after a career that may not seem suited for it.. Here are a few other actors who've recently donned a cape, or pirate's scowl, or just a plain black suit and become cinema good guys.

As it turned out, Downey wanted the part but wasn't exactly sanguine about his chances. After he met with the Marvel team, its then chieftain Avi Arad walked him to his car and told him, "You're a real craftsman." It felt like one of those very kind brushoffs -- Downey suspected his casting in "Iron Man" was unlikely.

But he didn't give up. "Nowadays, I really, really trust synchronicity," says Downey. "It's not just one way. There's a whole realm of possibilities. Everything is so connected that it's not one single event that determines anything. I refused to not champion myself for this. I said to Jon [Favreau], 'If you don't mind, I'm just going to keep imagining this is possible.' "

"There were people in our company who directly said, 'No. You can't [cast Downey]. Next," says Feige. They started looking at alternatives, but Favreau and Feige also set about making the case for Downey. They called the insurance companies, which had no problems with Downey anymore because he'd been clean for five years. They called colleagues who vouched for him. The filmmakers pointed out that even the family-friendly giant Walt Disney had no problem putting Downey in "The Shaggy Dog."

The room warmed to Downey -- but still the actor would have to screen test for the part, the first time since his Oscar-nominated performance in "Chaplin."

FULLY PREPARED

GIVEN his spark-flying mind, it's easy to assume that Downey ad-libs what he does on screen, quipping, prancing, dancing with effortless humor. Ironically enough, however, when auditioning for "Iron Man," he prepared for the test of his life.

Not that he likes giving away his trade secrets. "I'm a little far out with my methods, but it works for me," he says, explaining he believes in energy, and "the feng shui of it all." Still all the mysticism appears grounded in basic hard work, memorizing lines so thoroughly that "literally if you woke me in the middle of the night I could tell them as quickly as I could tell you my driver's license. Then I write it out illegibly so as I think I'm knowing it, if I can read it in this kind of gobbledygook then I actually know it. Then I write it out in an acronym so that the first letter of every word is just a cue. And then I literally read that as fast as I can read it because I'm training my subconscious now to respond to it."

Then he checks himself, and annotates the script with notes about the action's subtext or alternate lines, which he hopes are funnier or more poignant. "You've got your wheels under you and you can start moving upstairs a bit," he says.

"His mind works so fast, and his thought process continues in such a unique way. He's able to make these brilliant connections -- metaphors spring out and he's able to stay right on scene," says Feige, who got to see Downey Downey-ize the character. "A lot of it was in the script, and it sounds like he's riffing. A lot of it was riffed. Most of it was 'branched out' " from what was written. The script had two bland robot helpers for Stark, which Downey transformed into twee British adjuncts in the John Gielgud mode.

It's dizzying to hear the meticulousness of Downey's routine, but somehow the very laboriousness is what Downey seems to crave. Routine, rules, a pattern. As he talks, he drops shards of what seems to anchor him -- his wife, his helpers, wing chun kung fu, a psychological commitment to the present, to not over-mythologizing what goes on in his life. That purposeful centeredness applies even to what he calls his "Red Sox experience," of landing the role in "Iron Man" after years of wandering in the psychological and professional desert.

"The problem was I could have gotten so stoked that I ran out of steam and wound up being sick for the two first weeks." Now he's learned to manage the crazy expectations of his own psyche.

"I just kind of honestly feel that this is just kind of like me making good on the promise of my late teens in a way," he says, and he's going to savor every second of the delayed blossoming, not just the work, but the hoopla, the autographs, the machine of fame that once threatened to pulverize his soul. "Every day between now and the end of the month for me is like a kind of closure on this incredibly ridiculously tough and wonderful and awesome and ghastly experience of coming to L.A. 25 years ago."
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 3:13 AM
I didn't read any of that.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 4:51 AM
Too far about your fourth grade reading level?
Posted By: Rob Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 4:57 AM
y'can't make a reading comprehension joke when you mistakingly use "about" instead of "above".

it just loses all of its value.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie - 2008-05-02 5:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: whomod
 Quote:
Confirmed Iron Man movie spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoiler

At the end of the credits, Stark comes home and finds Nick Fury in his living room -staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative"

im a closet fanboy
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey Inb - 2008-05-02 5:25 AM
Too far about your fourth grade reading level?

wbam?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-02 6:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
y'can't make a reading comprehension joke when you mistakingly use "about" instead of "above".

it just loses all of its value.

Yeah. I've really got to work on my typing skills.
Posted By: rex Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-02 6:45 AM
Maybe stop copying and pasting all the time? I know that would mean thinking for yourself but I think you might be able to handle it.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 5:52 AM
just got back from seeing iron man, great movie. maybe best super hero movie ever, i'll sleep, reflect and know for sure tomorrow.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 7:31 AM
Iron Man fucking rocks..or roxors. Make sure to stay through the credits.

Makes Spider-man look like batman returns....
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 9:57 AM
stripper pole in the private jet? oh yes, this movie was off the chain...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 4:01 PM
i think what set this movie a part from other comic flicks was the depth at acting. Robert Downey Jr. because of past substance problems and early comedic roles never did get his due as a great actor, and here you have one of the best actors in years playing the lead in a super hero flick.

Jeff Bridges playing the villain was a great casting decision, he plays a over the top prick but doesnt come off as hey look at me im over the top, it was subtle and built slow till the end.

Terrence Howard is an very good actor as well as Paltrow and you have them playing supporting roles, so none of the scenes came off as cheap but it actually seemed like any good movie with the main character just happening to be a super hero.

the great thing about the script i think was instead of the obligatory having to get you to being the hero scenes in the first super man, spidey, and batman flicks, it was fun watching him transform into the hero.

plus it was cool to watch him kick the shit out of the terrorists.

my only complaint is Stane didnt drink white russians....
Posted By: Pariah Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 8:12 PM
Terrence Howard was good?

I was afraid he would ruin the quality of the movie since he always comes off as a pretentious prick in most of his roles.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 8:23 PM
I thought Howard did a good job in the first hour of "Crash" and when he didn't it was largely because of the fact the script failed his character at that point.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 10:08 PM
His acting in Crash was okay. But I'm thinking of his parts in Animal and The Best Man.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 10:12 PM
Terrence Howard was good?

I was afraid he would ruin the quality of the movie since he always comes off as a pretentious prick in most of his roles.

all the characters came off as layered in this movie, which was surprising most superheroes movies try to play of duality of the secret identity vs the character, and all the supporting characters have a duality as well but this one seemed to have some better writing, or the actors and the director carried out the story better than it was written...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-03 11:40 PM
http://www.alandoshna.com/iron_man.html
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Iron Man Movie: Downey - 2008-05-04 8:49 AM
Fucking awesome. Went to an early show to avoid the crowd, and it was still packed. One of the best damn comic adaptations I've ever seen.
Fucking awesome is right.

Mrs G and tried to go to an early show but it was all but sold out so we went to the 7 pm show.

She's not a fan of most comic book movies. She liked the Spider-man films and she likes some genre films and TV shows ("Lost" is currently her favorite show). But, for example, she didn't like any of the Batman films (even "Begins").

About half an hour into the film, she whispers to me "Wow. This is really a great movie."

I gotta agree. This is up there with the first Superman and Spiderman 2 in terms of the best comic book movies. And I think that "Dark Knight" is going to have a hard time not getting overshadowed by this film.

The only significant weak part of the film was that Terrance Howard's voice seemed way too fey for Jim Rhodes. I sort of wish they'd gotten, for example, Dennis Haysbert from "24" to play Rhodey. But even that was a relatively minor beef.

Oh, and the scene after the credits. Because of this board I knew it was coming and we waited for it. Very few of the audience did, of course.

Warning, Spoiler:
But waaaay up behind us in the back of the theater, there was a group of guys in their late teens.

When Sam Jackson turned around, said he was Nick Fury and wanted to talk to Stark about "the Avengers initiative," one guy in that group let out this bizarre moan/screech of joy. It was fucking hilarious. I think it was the first audible geekasm I've ever heard.
The only significant weak part of the film was that Terrance Howard's voice seemed way too fey for Jim Rhodes.

Yeah, that bugged me too.

Oh, and the scene after the credits. Because of this board I knew it was coming and we waited for it. Very few of the audience did, of course.

We had to deal with this jackass who after the animated part of the credits were over, kept saying ,"He said it was after the credits! Where is it? It was supposed to be after the credits! Why haven't all these other people left? It was supposed to be after the credits!"

I almost turned around and asked his buds, "How the hell are you friends with this dipshit?"

My only real complaint was the fact that the movie theater was almost full when we got there; so we had to sit on the second row, which fucking sucks.
We sort of lucked out with the theater because when we found out the earlier show was packed, they told us that we would be better off just going into the 7 pm theater and waiting. Mrs G at first wanted to hang out in the lobby but the girl was smart/cool enough to tell us "I wouldn't. People are already going in". As a result we got really good seats.

The only other really, really, minor thing that sort of bugged me was the fact they kept saying that Tony's dad worked on the Manhattan project and the first A-bomb. That seemed a little odd because, if Tony was around forty, that means he was born in the mid to late sixties and his parents would have been at least middle aged (probably older) when he was born. But the picture of his parents on newspaper when they died showed two people who were pretty young at the time of their death. Also, they talked about Stane being similar in age to his dad. Since Stane was obviously in his sixties, if that was the case, Tony's dad couldn't have worked on the A-bomb project.

But that was a pretty minor thing. Furthermore, as BSAMS mentioned, Bridges fucking rocked as Stane. In fact, Mrs. G didn't even realize he was Lebowski until I explained to her that's why I was laughing when Obidiah make the derogatory remarks about hippies.
Posted By: the G-man "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:04 PM
New York Times:
  • Comic book adventure "Iron Man" proved its mettle at the North America box office and topped expectations, kicking off the summer movie season with estimated weekend ticket sales of $100.75 million and marking a commercial rebound for its star, Robert Downey Jr.
Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:11 PM
I was told who's playing the part of the "end of credits" person.

Sucks.

I can't take three steps in the movie world without tripping over this over-exposed tard. I am so tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere. He simply is not that good of an actor.

I mean, c'mon! He has a recognizable face and viral personality, but beyond that, his appeal is nil.
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:29 PM
He's a good actor. I tend to agree his fanboy tendencies have made him choose some questionable roles. Still, it was a fun scene, especially given that they waited to put it after the credits, instead of trying to shoehorn it into the movie.

Besides the best performance of that character was Charlton Heston in "True Lies," even if they had to call him "Spencer Trilby"
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:32 PM
Samuel Jackson is a great actor when he has good material, but like you said he makes questionable decisions on roles to take.
Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:35 PM
Besides the best performance of that character was Charlton Heston in "True Lies," even if they had to call him "Spencer Trilby"

Agreed.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-04 10:46 PM
I was told who's playing the part of the "end of credits" person.

Sucks.

I can't take three steps in the movie world without tripping over this over-exposed tard. I am so tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere. He simply is not that good of an actor.

I mean, c'mon! He has a recognizable face and viral personality, but beyond that, his appeal is nil.

christ you are gay...
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 12:05 AM
You two have obviously just met.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 12:50 AM
Saw it twice this weekend. It rocked that hard!
are you going to go see Iron Man as well?
Yes, we dont need to know about Elsias penis!
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 1:52 AM
We're sorry, this video is no longer available.
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 2:02 AM
Oh well.
Why do we need videos of Elsias penis?
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 3:24 AM
Wrong large, black, one-eyed Fury.
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 3:32 AM
Speaking of in-jokes. I didn't notice it, but apparently on the table in Tony's workship there was, among the other gadgets, a glimpse of a familiar-looking red, white and blue shield.
Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 4:57 AM
christ I'm gay for Samuel L. Jackson...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 7:02 AM
Samuel L. Jackson receives:

Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 7:31 AM

Samuel L Jackson is the BEST ACTOR EVER!
You just want to butt sex him.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 9:27 AM
Saw it, loved it. Paltrow is unbelievably hot. This could be a good move for Downey's career. I hope he handles it well.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 9:32 AM
Oh yeah, we need an image of Downey Jr with Paltrow as he's thinking: "this is my face as I'm fucking you in the ass".
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 10:21 AM

Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 11:27 AM
So you agree that Samuel L. Jackson is overexposed and overrated.
Posted By: Grimm Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 8:29 PM
overexposed yes. but he can be a good actor when he wants. but he has done a lot of crap jobs where he just plays himself of late.

Iron Man broke 100 Mill over the weekend.

and they are plotting out The Avengers film franchise.

Quote:
Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 8:38 PM
2011 is also the year Disney is releasing a couple sequels, namely Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Tron 2 Pirates 4 among others. That will probably be the biggest summer ever.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 9:12 PM
Huh. I coulda sworn they already did "Toy Story 3" as a "straight-to-DVD" release. Wonder who's gonna replace Jim Varney.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 10:48 PM
Yeah, but you're a retard who fake internet killed himself so what do you know?
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-05 11:24 PM
Just got back. Loved it. Best Super-hero movie I've ever seen. Minor gripes:

SPOILERS

I agree with G-Man...Terrence Howard's voice was off to me. I liked his performance but most of the movie he sounded like he'd like to War his Machine up Stark's pooper.

Gwyneth has always been 'meh' to me...she's just really basic; skinny, kind cute but not all that. She's what we used to call 'cold cheese pizza' back in the day: you'd eat it if it were the only thing in thne fridge but even ramen noodles or White Castle would be better. I could have done without all the Stark/Pepper romantical stuff. I never really read Iron Man all like that...is a romance between the two canon? I would have preferred they kept him as the wealthy playa/pimp type. I get that Stark noticed her after he had his whole life-altering experience and all but, let's keep it real: He woulda fucked at least 3 different hotties on the plane before getting abck to L.A. AND he woulda been gettin' a buffie behind the podium at the press conference.

For that matter, he never woulda stopped at B.K. Lounge to get a burger when Fattburger, In-and-out Burger and Sonic were options...

I didn't think that the killing of the terrorists when he rescued the town rang true. I would think that the whole 'saw American soldiers die/No more weapons' thing would have put him off killing. Seems like he would have built additional less lethal weaponry into his armor. Though I must admite that I did like how he left the 2nd in command terrorist to face justice at the hands of his victims. That seemed real to me.

Things I really liked:

When Stark was crawling back to his lab to get the power source. R.D. jr. performance evoked his acting in Less Than Zero which has always been his defining role for me.

All the stuff with the suits. The tech stuff was kewl. The testing/results was realistic. The suits were faithful to the comics.

Jeff Bridges as Stane. Really understated and well played. Brings to mind Liam Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul. Stane didn't really seem evil or whatever...he's just a guy making business decisions. Regardless of the consequences. Bet he's a Republican...

Would have preferred Jarvis be flesh and blood but his personality was spot on. The A.I. aspect allows for character development.

The possibilty that the H.T.I.C. returns in the sequel...or maybe the Avengers flick...as The Mandarin(notice how he kept playing with his ring?). I know that they wanted to be more realistic in the opener but The Mandarin is to Iron Man what Luthor is to Superman or The Joker is to the Bat-Man. He's got to show up at some point. The 10 Rings refence was cool but still...he could be introduced in the Thor movie with the rings being an aspect of Norse Mythology. That would be a cool lead to the Avengers flick.

The scene after credits. I haven't been on the boards or anywhere else lately to read the spoilers so I didn't know it was coming. I usually stay thru the credits on most movies and I ALWAYS do on comic movies. I love Sam Jackson. When he spoke and then stepped out of the shadows, I actually applauded. One of my attractions to the Ultimate line was Nick Fury being modeled after him. And yeah, I have to acknowledge pariah in admitting that he is over exposed but, I heard him on a talk radio show a while back. He knows that he's out there a lot but his attitude is that he's going to do what he has to do to get paid. He cited Snakes on a Plane, The Man, The Great White Hype, S.W.A.T. and Shaft among others as movies he did strictly for the loot. Can't really blame him, though I was really disappointed with Shaft...

None of those movies damage his rep as a fine actor or negate his performances in Unbreakable, Jackie Brown, A Time to Kill, Jungle Fever, Pulp Fiction, Fresh...hell even Star Wars, ep. 2 and 3. His voice work on The Incredibles and the Boondocks was cool, too.

All in all, Iron Man was awesome. Dark Knight has some work to do to match the quality...though the trailer looked really decent. I'm sure all of you have seen it by now but, this was my first time. I also liked the trailer for The Spirit. The Happening looked ok as well...though M. Night Shawhatyamacallit is over-rated to me.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: THE Bastard
I didn't think that the killing of the terrorists when he rescued the town rang true. I would think that the whole 'saw American soldiers die/No more weapons' thing would have put him off killing. Seems like he would have built additional less lethal weaponry into his armor.

See I took it that he decided that he must make sure the weapns he creates don't fall into the hands of those who would do evil, where before he didnt care as long as he was making weapons.

I don't think he was against killing, just the innocent and the soldiers doing good being killed by his weapons.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:11 AM
I think Tony just had his eyes opened. He'd designed all this stuff, made his money, and used it to keep his life one big party. I do think that he always had the best intentions as far as making sure that the soldiers were protected and had the best weapons to defend themselves. It's when he realized that his weapons were being used by even the bad guys, and they'd almost killed him with one of his own bombs, that he decided that his life had to change. He kept talking about accountability after that. He felt responsible for what his weapons did in the hands of the bad guys. I don't think Tony became a pacifist as much as he became actively involved and responsible for the first time in his life.
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:13 AM
I didn't think that the killing of the terrorists when he rescued the town rang true. I would think that the whole 'saw American soldiers die/No more weapons' thing would have put him off killing. Seems like he would have built additional less lethal weaponry into his armor.

See I took it that he decided that he must make sure the weapns he creates don't fall into the hands of those who would do evil, where before he didnt care as long as he was making weapons.

I don't think he was against killing, just the innocent and the soldiers doing good being killed by his weapons.

Exactly. Not unlike his reaction in "the Armor Wars" when he found out that his IM technology had been stolen and used by supervillains. He didn't give up being Iron Man, he just made sure that no one else would use the technology for evil.
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:32 AM

Yeah, I can see what you mean, however...His whole demeanor seemed to me to be more of the "give peace a chance" type or thing. I was surprised when he killed the guys hiding behind the civilians....especially once he realized the offensive capabilities of the repulsor rays. Hell, For all I know, Stark could have designed some type of profectile to instantly knock out or otherwise inacapcitate the terrorists that were hiding behind the civilians...maybe a instant acting version of the paralysis device Stane used against him. Though the missile into the tank looked like it would definitely leave a mark....

I dunno...seems like the whole anti-weapon stance would lead to a renewed sanctity/respect for all life...not just "our" side.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:37 AM
Again I dont think it was anti-weapons, so much as anti-lack of responsibility. H epretty much lived care free, he built the weapons and sold them, but figured the military would keep them in the right hands. after seeing they werent that responsible he decided to step back and consider how to proceed, without putting innocents at risk....
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:51 AM

Exactly. Not unlike his reaction in "the Armor Wars" when he found out that his IM technology had been stolen and used by supervillains. He didn't give up being Iron Man, he just made sure that no one else would use the technology for evil.

Never read that story line and obviously the comic is different from the movie but...did he kill anybody in Armor Wars? Or did he just go and get his stuff back or render it unusable?

In movie continuity, could Stark not have found a way to make his weapons with some sort of a tracking/detonation device so that at any point his company and/or the military could know the location of piece of Stark produced weaponry? This way he could still provide it for our side and make sure it didn't fall into enemy hands...or destroy it if it did so.

I'm not going to get caught up debating this point any further. I can see it the way bsams laid it out. It makes sense and apparently that's the way the makers of the movie decided to go, but....it just makes more sense to me that he would have developed an aversion to killing ANYBODY...not just US soldiers.
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 12:55 AM
Again I dont think it was anti-weapons, so much as anti-lack of responsibility. H epretty much lived care free, he built the weapons and sold them, but figured the military would keep them in the right hands. after seeing they werent that responsible he decided to step back and consider how to proceed, without putting innocents at risk....

I can dig it. Your view also serves the plot better.
I think seeing that professor, soldiers and those innocent people killed by the terrorists would cause more of a sense of the need to kill them first rather than an aversion.

i think there isnt a person alive after 9-11 that doesn't wish we woulda killed Obama Bin Laden when we had the chance, so I think that seeing stuff like that drives you more than makes you want to avert it....
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-06 1:25 AM
Yeah, but I think the killing of the professor, et al was ancillary to his real issue....HIS weapons were the ones doing the killing. HE was responsible for the deaths. War is war...peaople are going to die on both sides. To me, Stark would have been so appalled at seeing the true destructive cost in HUMAN LIVES that he could no longer, in good concious, make things specifically designed to take a human life...ANY HUMAN LIFE...again.

My point is more that he decided that he no longer wanted to have anything to do with killing ANYBODY any longer. Thats why he decided to stop making weapons. PERIOD.

Re: bin Laden...since he and his organization took responsibility for 9/11, there was a clear target for America's righteous anger. Having read many of your posts here and elsewhere since 9/11, I know that we come down on different idealogical sides of the war...however, I do agree that almost every American...including me...wanted to see bin Laden dead as some small measure of revenge for 9/11.

Now, if you say that Stark wanted to kill the specific terrorists that kept him hostage, killed his friend, killed civilians...all with weapons that he himself manufactured...and you can say that it was vengeance on his part..?

Well I can definitely agree with you about that. Personal trumps idealogical. But, I'd still say that once those that he held responsible were dealt with, he would not DIRECTLY take a life if he could help it.
Which he didnt take any lives except the groups directly responsible. So maybe he wont continue to kill terrorists, I dunno. But the ones he did kill were part of the organization that killed the Prof. and the soldiers he was with.

Your also assuming he decided to quit making weapons because war is war, but their are amny people who think their are justified wars. So assuming he is someone that thinks war is war is a stretch, not a bad one but the way the movie played out it appears he was more wanting to make right that his weapons were used for evil rather than he was dramatically turned into a peace monger.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-07 1:43 AM
Good god. That movie fucking rocked. It might even be better than Batman Begins.

(Please don't ban me rob.)
Posted By: the G-man Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-07 3:49 AM
Yeah, but I think the killing of the professor, et al was ancillary to his real issue....HIS weapons were the ones doing the killing. HE was responsible for the deaths.

By that logic, when bin Laden had his men fly planes into the Twin Towers and Pentagon, Boeing was responsible for the deaths.

But, anyway, I took his decision, and the rest of the film seems to bear this intepretation out, that he was upset by the fact that his weapons were falling into the wrong hands, or could do so, not that he was against violence per se.

If anything, it stretched credibility more to interpret the plot as if he was originally unaware that his weapons killed people. They WERE weapons, after all.
Posted By: PrincessElisa Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-09 12:46 AM
I saw this TWICE but it was good both times!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-09 12:53 AM
Yeah cause like it might have been a totally different film both times.
Posted By: harleykwin Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-09 5:39 AM
Now, now Fred - I saw it twice too - it really did kick all sorts of ass...
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

so did I.

I roll with the above...(even with elisa )
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 12:55 AM
Yeah, but I think the killing of the professor, et al was ancillary to his real issue....HIS weapons were the ones doing the killing. HE was responsible for the deaths.

By that logic, when bin Laden had his men fly planes into the Twin Towers and Pentagon, Boeing was responsible for the deaths.

The planes were not made to cause death. That they were used in that mannner was unfortunate but, there's no reason at all for the manufacturor of the planes to feel any guilt or responsibility.

Weapons, OTOH, are made to kill. Stark would have no illusions about that. However, it is one thing to intellectually KNOW that the product you made is responsible for death. It's another thing entirely to SEE it and experience it up close and personal.

I've read somewhere that several scientists that worked on the Manhattan Project were extremely upset after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They knew what they were making and what it was to be used for but, when faced with the destruction that it caused...even though it ultimately saved more lives than it took...they found it reprehensible.

As I said earlier, the counterpoint to mine makes as much sense to me as my own. And obviously it works to advance the plot in the flick...just would have been interesting to see it the other way.
Posted By: ROY BATTY Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:16 AM
J He(Jackson) cited Snakes on a Plane, The Man, The Great White Hype, S.W.A.T. and Shaft among others as movies he did strictly for the loot. Can't really blame him, though I was really disappointed with Shaft...

I thought Shaft was a pretty good movie although I liked Jeffery Wrights and Christian Bales performances more than Jacksons!

As for the Star Wars precraps, I thinked he sucked balls in them - what a gay way to die!
Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:27 AM
Weapons, OTOH, are made to kill. Stark would have no illusions about that.

They're also made to deter. Do you think he'd have any illusions about that?

See also: The Cold War (as opposed to global thermo-nuclear war).
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: ROY BATTY
J He(Jackson) cited Snakes on a Plane, The Man, The Great White Hype, S.W.A.T. and Shaft among others as movies he did strictly for the loot. Can't really blame him, though I was really disappointed with Shaft...

I thought Shaft was a pretty good movie although I liked Jeffery Wrights and Christian Bales performances more than Jacksons!

As for the Star Wars precraps, I thinked he sucked balls in them - what a gay way to die!

The original Shaft (along with The Mack and Superfly) is iconic in the Black community. I haven't watched it in years but, I saw it prolly 20 times when I was a kid. I was disappointed with his performance and, apparently, so was he since he cited it a payday flick

Re: rhe prequels. The movies were meh but Jackson was cool...especially in ep. 2.
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:29 AM
Weapons, OTOH, are made to kill. Stark would have no illusions about that.

They're also made to deter. Do you think he'd have any illusions about that?

See also: The Cold War (as opposed to a nuclear war).

Point.

However, isn't the movie set in the Afghanistan war? In this situation the weapons are being made and used to kill, not deter.
Posted By: ROY BATTY Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:32 AM

The original Shaft (along with The Mack and Superfly) is iconic in the Black community. I haven't watched it in years but, I saw it prolly 20 times when I was a kid. I was disappointed with his performance and, apparently, so was he since he cited it a payday flick

Re: rhe prequels. The movies were meh but Jackson was cool...especially in ep. 2.

Yeah the original Shafts were cool, especially Shaft in Africa!

I'm just saying that I thought the remake was good nowhere near as bad as I found snakes on a plane, 51st State and shite like that!

Sorry man, I fucking hate everything about those prequels!
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-10 1:36 AM
It definitely wasn't as bad as some of his other clunkers...just didn't live up to the standard that I had for him or the movie.
Good movie.

By the by, after the scene with Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury, someone in the audience said "you can't beat the Hoff!" \:p
 Quote:
The first Friday box office estimates are just beginning to come in, and according to the tracking website Boxofficeguru.com, in its second weekend Iron Man easily held off the debut of Speed Racer in the battle of "genre" films. In fact, Speed Racer only finished third in the Friday tally, behind the Cameron Diaz/Ashton Kutcher romantic comedy What Happens in Vegas.

Iron Man is estimated to have racked up another $15.3 million on Friday, a 56.6% drop from its opening Friday figure of $35.2m. While it's typical of superhero/comic book based movies to drop in upwards of 50% in their second weekends, if that percentage holds throughout the entire three-day sophomore frame, it may some something of a minor surprise/disappointment for Paramount/Marvel considering the overwhelmingly positive critical and word-of-mouth buzz the film has received.

The gold standard of superhero movie "legs" continues to be 2002's Spider-Man, which dropped only 38% in its second weekend.

As for Speed Racer - subject of much more mixed reception - it's estimated to have made $5.85 million on Friday, placing it below most industry predictions. To put it in some perspective, in its second Friday, Iron Man enjoyed a $3722.00 per screen average, whereas as Speed Racer averaged less than half of that at $1622.00

guess who ain't riding in the funvee, bitches!
Posted By: Pariah Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-11 2:02 AM
Point.

However, isn't the movie set in the Afghanistan war? In this situation the weapons are being made and used to kill, not deter.

However, there was a specific line uttered by Tony (paraphrased), "When they see this baby go off, they won't even wanna come out of their caves," right after (before?) he demonstrated the Jericho.

In real life, the atomic bomb was made to deter through killing. If not for Nagasaki and Hiroshima, the guns would have never stopped firing.

In any event: The movie was great, but I didn't like Paltrow. I find her to be very plain. I also didn't like her function; she was implemented purely for the sake of grounding Tony. That annoying "all I have is you" crap was laid on really thick (although, that bit about taking out the trash was pretty funny I must admit). Tony's a womanizer, that's his character. A stint in a cave in Afghanistan wouldn't change that.
unless the professor gave it up!
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-11 9:38 AM
I'm amazed at how successful the movie is. Everyone I've talked to all day today (work, home, being out) raves about how fun it was. Favreau has a winning formula that I really think cannot be copied.
3X2(9YZ)4A
please don't use my screen name without explicit written consent.
i wont be bullied by you any longer.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-12 6:20 AM
3X2(9YZ)4A

That's not even a real formula.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-12 7:03 AM
it's the formula for gay
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
my screen name
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-12 2:33 PM
I was right
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-12 11:13 PM
INDEED!
Posted By: whomod Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-12 11:28 PM

Quote:
Movie News
'Iron Man 2' Coming in 2010

Following Iron Man's impressive $98.6 million debut this weekend, Marvel Studios has set a date for a sequel: April 30, 2010. Meanwhile, the comic-book-based entertainment company has unveiled the roster of superhero movies it plans to release during the next three years:
· Thor — June 4, 2010 (with Stardust's Matthew Vaughn on board to direct)
· The First Avenger: Captain America — May 6, 2011
· The Avengers — July 2011 (bringing together the characters of Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor in one movie)
· Ant-Man — In development (with Hot Fuzz's Edgar Wright attached to write and direct)
All of these features will be financed, developed, and produced by Marvel. While the company had enjoyed great success for more than a decade with movies based on many of its popular characters — including Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four — it only recently started fully financing and producing its own films. Iron Man was the first major release under this new plan; The Incredible Hulk arrives in theaters on June 13.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-13 1:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
overexposed yes. but he can be a good actor when he wants. but he has done a lot of crap jobs where he just plays himself of late.

Iron Man broke 100 Mill over the weekend.

and they are plotting out The Avengers film franchise.

Quote:
Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

Thanks for the old news, whomod.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-13 3:36 AM
At least he linked to a real article.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-13 3:41 AM
BANDWIDTH STEALER!
Posted By: the Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-13 5:48 AM
TK-069 annoyed User He tastes of America
15000+ posts Mon May 12 2008 09:50 PM Reading a post
Posted By: the Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-13 6:13 AM
whomod content User I broke bsams sphincter
4000+ posts Mon May 12 2008 11:13 PM Reading a post
Posted By: Grimm Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-14 8:42 AM
another reason to see it again: Tony's got THE SHIELD in his lab.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/09/captain-americas-shield-found-in-iron-man/

Quote:
The scene in which you can see the shield is after Iron Man returns from Afghanistan after fighting with the Mark III red/gold armor for the very first time. Right after he fights the two F-22 fighter jets, it shows him back in his lab trying to remove his armor but having trouble. Right as Pepper Potts walks down into his lab and asks him "what is he doing?", the shield can be seen sitting on one of his tables behind him in the lower left corner. This happens around 1 hour and 30 minutes into the movie. Make sure to account for trailers if you're going in. We confirmed it at a 6:40PM showing and the scene played at around ~8:18PM. Here is a very low quality photo just for reference. It looks much better in the movie.

The shield is actually red, white, and blue, although you can't see the red in the photo. But if you see the scene in the theater, the shield is actually there and very identifiable. It looks like it is half-constructed and being built by Tony Stark, but you can definitely see the unique star. It is a round shield with circular red, white, and blue stripes.

Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-14 9:02 AM
Ex-cel-lent.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-16 12:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

I was talking about the fact she said it was good both times, like it was gonna be a different film to the first time she watched it!
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-16 1:05 AM
What is it doing to Jeff Glacier's hand?!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-16 1:13 AM
marrying it
I saw the film tonight (Iron Man, not Elsia raping Glaciers hand), and I agree, it was awesomness multiplied by amazingness!

Two things I liked, as in jokes I am guessing, were the terrorist organisation being called the Ten Rings (Mandarin anyone?) and the bit when Rhodey looked at the Mark II armour and remarked about next time (War Machine anyone?).

Downey totally nailed this film, coming off as a perfect balance between serious as hell, and flippant humourist!

Bridges was amazing as Stane, and really showed his versatility as an actor.

I agree that Rhodey should have had a more "strong" voice, and could probably have done with being a bigger built guy as well, but he wasnt terrible thats for sure.

Cant wait for the sequel!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080515/ap_o...sqTzp9B_k9k24cA

Quote:
Rex Jameson bikes and swims regularly, and plays tennis and skis when time allows. But the 5-foot-11, 180-pound software engineer is lucky if he presses 200 pounds — that is, until he steps into an "exoskeleton" of aluminum and electronics that multiplies his strength and endurance as many as 20 times.

With the outfit's claw-like metal hand extensions, he gripped a weight set's bar at a recent demonstration and knocked off hundreds of repetitions. Once, he did 500.

"Everyone gets bored much more quickly than I get tired," Jameson said.

Jameson — who works for robotics firm Sarcos Inc. in Salt Lake City, which is under contract with the U.S. Army — is helping assess the 150-pound suit's viability for the soldiers of tomorrow. The suit works by sensing every movement the wearer makes and almost instantly amplifying it.

The Army believes soldiers may someday wear the suits in combat, but it's focusing for now on applications such as loading cargo or repairing heavy equipment. Sarcos is developing the technology under a two-year contract worth up to $10 million, and the Army plans initial field tests next year.

Before the technology can become practical, the developers must overcome cost barriers and extend the suit's battery life. Jameson was tethered to power cords during his demonstration because the current battery lasts just 30 minutes.

But the technology already offers evidence that robotics can amplify human muscle power in reality — not just in the realm of comic books and movies like the recently debuted "Iron Man," about a wealthy weapons designer who builds a high-tech suit to battle bad guys.

"Everybody likes the idea of being a superhero, and this is all about expanding the capabilities of a human," said Stephen Jacobsen, chief designer of the Sarcos suit.

The Army's exoskeleton research dates to 1995, but has yet to yield practical suits. Sarcos' technology sufficiently impressed Raytheon Co., however, that the Waltham, Mass.-based defense contractor bought Sarcos' robotics business last November. Sarcos also has developed robotic dinosaurs for a Universal Studios' "Jurassic Park" theme park ride.

Jack Obusek, a former colonel now with the Army's Soldier Research Development and Engineering Center in the Boston suburb of Natick, foresees robot-suited soldiers unloading heavy ammunition boxes from helicopters, lugging hundreds of pounds of gear over rough terrain or even relying on the suit's strength-enhancing capabilities to make repairs to tanks that break down in inconvenient locations.

Sarcos' Jacobsen envisions factory workers someday using the technology to perform manual labor more easily, and firefighters more quickly carrying heavy gear up stairwells of burning buildings. Disabled people also may find uses for the technology, he said.

"We see the value being realized when these suits can be built in great numbers for both military and commercial uses, and they start coming down in cost to within the range of the price of a small car," said Jacobsen. He declined to estimate how much the suit might cost in mass production.

But cost isn't the only obstacle. For example, developers eventually hope to lengthen the suit's backpack battery's life and tinker with the suit's design to use less energy. Meanwhile, the suit can draw power from a generator, a tank or helicopter. And there are gas engines that, while noisy, small enough to fit into the suit's backpack.

"The power issue is probably the No. 1 challenge standing in the way of getting this thing in the field," Obusek said.

But he said Sarcos appears to have overcome the key challenge of pairing super-fast microprocessors with sensors that detect movements by the body's joints and transmit data about them to the suit's internal computer.

Much as the brain sends signals to tendons to get muscles to move, the computer sends instructions to hydraulic valves. The valves mimic tendons by driving the suit's mechanical limbs, replicating and amplifying the wearer's movements almost instantly.

"With all the previous attempts at this technology, there has been a slight lag time between the intent of the human, and the actual movement of the machine," Obusek said.

In the demonstration, the bulky suit slowed Jameson a bit, but he could move almost normally. When a soccer ball was thrown at him, he bounced it back off his helmeted head. He repeatedly struck a punching bag and, slowly but surely, he climbed stairs in the suit's clunky aluminum boots, which made him look like a Frankenstein monster.

"It feels less agile than it is," Jameson said. "Because of the way the control laws work, it's ever so slightly slower than I am. And because we are so in tune with our bodies' responses, this tiny delay initially made me tense."

Now, he's used to it.

"I can regain my balance naturally after stumbling — something I discovered completely by accident."

Learning was easy, he said.

"It takes no special training, beyond learning to relax and trust the robot," he said.

OBADIAH!
Posted By: Jeremy Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-16 7:00 AM
Further proof these aren't fantasies...they're options.

I saw it again tonight and caught all the stuff I missed. Can't wait for the DVD, and sequel.
Posted By: LLance Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-18 8:01 AM
I saw the premiere w/ my daughter. We both loved it! Really rates up there as One of the better Super-hero films ever done!
Dear Llancey, I don't see you very often anymore, so I'd like to take this rare opportunity to tell you that you are very fat. Love, Mxy.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-18 11:51 PM
Yeah, this movie was a perfect 10 for me. Absolutely flawless. I've never seen a superhero movie this perfect. And, as BASAMS said, it's all down to the depth that Downey jr brought to Stark. It was a fucking fun, smart movie about a guy named Tony Stark. Oh, and yeah he happens to wear high-tech armor. Not the other way around.

The best evar!
Posted By: Rob Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-19 2:13 AM
just saw this last night. really enjoyed it. i dont think it was as good as batman begins, but im sure a lot of that is my bias towards batman. dunno if you guys know, but he's my favorite comic book character.

by far, this was my favorite marvel movie. i didn't like hulk, never really saw much in any of the spideys. punisher and ghost rider were meh. the xmen series was fun, but got progressively less so. iron man just seemed like it was well made.

i tried not to read this thread before i saw the film, but i did skim through someone's post who stated that they really liked the character build portions, which i really agree with.

my favorite part of the spidey films was the first half of the first movie, before he actually became spiderman. seeing the progression through his high school years and dealing with the bullies and such... that was really cool. i thought the same of batman begins -- the first portion where he's all in training is just so damn cool.

iron man had that feeling through out. even though he had the full set of armor at the end of the movie, it was as if he was still in the building process, and not yet sure or confident of his heroic decisions.

plus, unlike many other super hero films, this one was fun.

batman begins i loved because its a darker, "believable" take on the whole batman story. other movies aroudn this time seem to follow in the same suit, though fail in comparison. iron man takes a believable spin, but never ignores its "silly" part, in that its a guy in a super hero tank outfit. i really liked that whole part of the story.

i dont know all that much about iron man comic books, so i have no critiques good or bad about how true it stayed to the printed story. but, as far as a movie goes, it was fun. definitely a good take.
plus you had a flash back to the blow job scene in Less Than Zero, which you enjoyed tremendously!
Posted By: Rob Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-19 2:25 AM
i've always liked your work!
you misspelled wang!
Thats cause he had his mouth full!
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-20 6:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: LLance
I saw the premiere w/ my daughter. We both loved it! Really rates up there as One of the better Super-hero films ever done!

Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Dear Llancey, I don't see you very often anymore, so I'd like to take this rare opportunity to tell you that you are very fat. Love, Mxy.

Posted By: Serpico Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2008-05-21 3:13 AM
This movie is pure awesomeness. I'd be gay for Robert Downey Jr if I was gay.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2008-05-21 3:24 AM
your sweaty wrestler posts already gave you away!
Posted By: Barry Gibb Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2008-05-24 11:21 AM

Posted By: Mr. J Re: Robert Downey Jr to be Iron Man - 2008-05-24 11:23 AM
too funny... now their gaying up their own board.
Just saw this movie today and I gotta say it sucked balls!

Downey can't act worth a shit. They should've given the part to Sandler.

Paltrow is a dog and you people should have your eyes examined if you think she's hot!

Daniels was horrible as the villain as he is in everything he does.

The special effects were such crap. The robots looked like puppets and some places it looked like close up shots of action figures.

The story was simple and predictable and poorly paced. There was no human drama or comedy in this movie.

The only good part of this movie was the final scene where they revealed Fury as a one eyed black man portrayed by the underused Sam Jackson. the only better choice for Furry would've been Carlos Mencia. I'm also glad they put this at the end of the credits 'cause I love setting through credits.

Overall this movie sucked and I hope Hollywood doesn't learn a thing from this movie.
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-05-25 11:25 AM
Thanks for the review, pariah.
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

Just lucky he wasnt in this film then!
 Originally Posted By: Mr. J
too funny... now their gaying up their own board.

"now"?
wtf man?
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

Just lucky he wasnt in this film then!

OOPS. \:-\[ It was Jeff Bridges. Than I guess it was an ok movie.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-06-02 6:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
Yeah, but you're a retard who fake internet killed himself so what do you know?

You just have to love the level of hate rex brings to the board...
Posted By: rex Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-06-02 6:22 AM
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-06-02 6:42 AM
So I finally got around to seeing this one.

It was EPIC. The acting, casting, story and special effects were terrific.

I was worried that Tony's life altering experience would make him a pussy,
but he shot-up the terrorists real good! I'm glad that this one didn't
turn into a hand-wringing cry session about the value of life and not killing,
and all that bullshit the Batman writers (and most comic book writers) would go on and on about. I'm also relieved that the movie didn't become like Fantastic Four 2, with their anti-US military spin.

Some blood and guts killings would have been nice, but I understand a "R" rating would have hurt the box office numbers.
I notice gayla failed to mention how EPIC the acting, casting, story, and terrific special effects were.

typical steve guttenburg behavior.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-06-03 11:35 PM
Piss off!
don't make it personal.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: "Iron Man" Opens With Box Office Bang - 2008-06-04 12:48 AM
go back to Russia, nazi!
Yeah, Whomod said you are a bad man!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Iron Man Two: Repulsor Boogaloo - 2008-06-08 2:38 AM
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/06/iron-mans-repul.html

Quote:
With the Incredible Hulk tracking surprisingly well and threatening to smash Iron Man's box office records next weekend, director Jon Favreau is keeping Tony Stark and company in the news by hinting at the plot of the Iron Man sequel.

When the original film made mention of the terrorist organization The 10 Rings, it was a clear reference to Marvel history and the alien artifacts The Mandarin discovered before beginning his career of oppression and supervillainy. It seemed like a pretty obvious clue from Favreau and his writers that Iron Man's arch-nemesis would appear in a sequel.

Now, with the director saying he needs "heavy duty, heavyweight bad guys" to confront Iron Man in the next film, Mandarin seems all but a lock. There's no mention of casting yet for the Far Eastern troublemaker, but that will have to break soon, as Robert Downey Jr. will be ready to begin filming in the golden titanium suit again when he finishes the Hugh Hefner biography he's working on now.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Iron Man Two: Repulsor Boogaloo - 2008-06-08 9:56 PM
© RKMBs