Spock (Zachary Quinto)

Spock - Modern (Leonard Nimoy)

Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy (Karl Urban)

Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (Simon Pegg)

Hikaru Sulu (John Cho)

Nyoto Uhura (Zoë Saldaña)

Pavel Chekhov (Anton Yelchin)

"Nero" (Eric Bana)

Amanda Grayson (Spock's mother) (Winona Ryder)

Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood)

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-12 8:48 PM
I think it would be hilarious if they cast Shatner to play his younger self.

He could sing and dance and give a lecture on how it sucks to be a 22 year old ensign.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-12 10:05 PM
I'm just glad they actually got a Russian actor to play Chekhov. Simon Pegg was a surprise for me, though. Not because I don't think he could do Scotty, and do him well. But, because never in a million years would I have pictured him wanting to do it.

This movie could be very good. Or very bad. Guess we'll see which soon enough. The castings of Kirk and Bones will pretty much make-or-break the whole thing for me. I still want Gary Sinise as Bones. Not only is he older than the rest (as Bones was), but he looks damn near like Deforrest Kelly...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 1:38 AM
Make it so.
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 1:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Simon Pegg was a surprise for me, though. Not because I don't think he could do Scotty, and do him well. But, because never in a million years would I have pictured him wanting to do it.

He better start eating.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 2:41 AM
Pegg is, I belive, a fanboy. So why wouldn't he want a part, especially given the chance to increase his profile in a big budget remake of a well regarded franchise?

And, yeah, I've been saying for years: Gary Sinise for McCoy

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 3:45 AM
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
Simon Pegg was a surprise for me, though. Not because I don't think he could do Scotty, and do him well. But, because never in a million years would I have pictured him wanting to do it.

He better start eating.

and start drinking Aldeberon whiskey.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 3:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Pegg is, I belive, a fanboy. So why wouldn't he want a part, especially given the chance to increase his profile in a big budget remake of a well regarded franchise?

I agree with that choice and have always liked Sinise. He was great in MISSION TO MARS and FORREST GUMP.
Posted By: Pariah Carey Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-13 7:31 AM
Van Wilder IS Kirk. \:p
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 5:38 AM
I actually just watched Hot Fuzz last Sunday night.

Laughed my ass off!! Nick Frost steals the whole movie, imho. That guy is fucking hilarious!

Guess I'll have to break down and actually watch Shaun of the Dead now...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 5:44 AM
you've never seen it?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 5:57 AM
I was waiting for the first person to freak out about that.

Nope, never gotten around to it. But, then again, I could care less about zombie/horror/gorefest movies and all that. They're all a bit silly to me. But, I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Shaun of the Dead. So, I will definitely be giving it a shot soon...
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 6:06 AM
Pro, Shaun of the Dead is less gorefest and more comedy. Even better than Hot Fuzz (which I also enjoyed). For a sample, obsoive:

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 7:24 AM
Shaun of the Dead is a fantastic, must see movie!
Posted By: big_pimp_tim Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-17 7:31 AM
i love both shaun of the dead and hot fuzz, but that scene was the best of either movie
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-18 12:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

That's genius. Really.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-18 12:06 AM

You should be shot and killed where you stand for not having seen that movie yet.

I'm sorry but I thought you should know.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-18 12:09 AM
It does look like they got a bunch of fanboys to star in this movie. I don't know that I love the choice of Zachary Quinto, but that's really because of that whole "I've got ONE evil look" thing he pulls on Heroes. Then again, I guess that's akin to Nimoy's "I've got ONE inquizzative look" thing from Trek, so mayhaps it'll work out for the best.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-18 1:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

You should be shot and killed where you stand for not having seen that movie yet.

I'm sorry but I thought you should know.

dont apologize. you are correct sir...
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-19 1:13 AM
Chris Pine, who had been in talks to join the cast of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" flick, will play the young James Kirk, while Karl Urban will take on the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy, distributor Paramount confirmed Thursday.
never heard of them
 Originally Posted By: PJP
Chris Pine, who had been in talks to join the cast of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" flick, will play the young James Kirk, while Karl Urban will take on the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy, distributor Paramount confirmed Thursday.

Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-19 1:40 AM
KARL URBAN?!

Fucking Eomer???
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-19 2:56 AM
never heard of them
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-19 5:54 AM
Updated.

I don't know either one of them. I'm hoping this Karl Urban guy is not only a bit older, but can actually pull off Bones.

Chris Pine looks about as "deep" as William Shatner. I expect nothing impressive...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-10-19 6:23 AM
Karl-Heinz Urban (born June 7, 1972) is a New Zealand actor. He may be best known for playing Éomer in the second and third installment of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Kirill (Jason Bourne's opposite number) in The Bourne Supremacy, the lead role in the movie adaptation of video game Doom, and Vaako from The Chronicles of Riddick.
Posted By: thedoctor Star Trek XI: The Shat Has Hit the Fan - 2007-10-27 12:42 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026/ap_en_tv/people_william_shatner
 Quote:
While Leonard Nimoy is reprising his role as the pointy-eared Vulcan in next year's science-fiction flick, William Shatner is not on board as Kirk.

"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Director J.J. Abrams announced last summer that Nimoy would reprise the role he originated opposite Shatner in the 1960s television show and played again in six big-screen adventures.

Abrams said Shatner probably would have a part in the film, which is due in theaters in December 2008. But while Shatner said he had a couple of meetings with Abrams, nothing came of it.

Past "Trek" films presented an obstacle to the revival of Shatner's Kirk, who died at the end of 1994's "Star Trek: Generations."

But in science fiction, you can never truly say die. Spock was killed off in 1982's "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" then resurrected in 1984's "Star Trek: The Search for Spock," with Nimoy's Vulcan living on to co-star in three more films, two episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and now Abrams' new movie.

"I've got a lot to do," said Shatner, whose current work includes the TV show "Boston Legal," narration for the Christmas spoof "Stalking Santa" due on DVD on Nov. 6, and the prequel "Star Trek: Academy — Collision Course," a novel chronicling Kirk and Spock's first meeting.

Shatner says of "Star Trek": "Having been in on the creation of it, I was hoping to be in on the re-creation."
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI: The Shat Has Hit the Fan - 2007-10-27 1:10 AM
Oh give me a fucking break! If Shatner wanted to be in more Trek movies then maybe HE SHOULDN'T HAVE KILLED OFF HIS CHARACTER!!!

First he wants to be Kirk. Then, he's done with it and wants to move on. Then he kills Kirk. Then he immediately goes out and starts writing novels about Kirk's resurrection and continued heroics. Then he wants to distance himself from Trek because he won an Emmy for Boston Legal. Now, he's back to wanting to be Kirk and be in Trek. Make up your fucking mind, fatboy!

Instead of supporting the movie, as he should be doing, he's coming off sounding like a spoiled, whiny brat who's griping about not getting what he wants. As if stirring up all the over-forty virgins that still worship the TOS bible would make a difference. Plus, I love how he's like "Well, if they're not going to let me be in the movie, then I'll just go write a book about how I think Kirk and Spock met. The fans will follow ME! Nyah!"

As for "box office" pull due his presence, the man is deluded. I want this movie to be successful, and re-invigorate the Trek franchise. I want modern. I want retcon. I want it to be real, and fast, and hard, and exciting, and good!

I do NOT want "Will........iamShatner!"

Goodbye Shatner. Your Kirk days are done. You brought it on yourself...
Yeah! G'wan back to your "Priceline Negotiator" commercials and Brad Paisley videos, shatass!
Oh give me a fucking break! If Shatner wanted to be in more Trek movies then maybe HE SHOULDN'T HAVE KILLED OFF HIS CHARACTER!!!

First he wants to be Kirk. Then, he's done with it and wants to move on. Then he kills Kirk. Then he immediately goes out and starts writing novels about Kirk's resurrection and continued heroics. Then he wants to distance himself from Trek because he won an Emmy for Boston Legal. Now, he's back to wanting to be Kirk and be in Trek. Make up your fucking mind, fatboy!

Instead of supporting the movie, as he should be doing, he's coming off sounding like a spoiled, whiny brat who's griping about not getting what he wants. As if stirring up all the over-forty virgins that still worship the TOS bible would make a difference. Plus, I love how he's like "Well, if they're not going to let me be in the movie, then I'll just go write a book about how I think Kirk and Spock met. The fans will follow ME! Nyah!"

As for "box office" pull due his presence, the man is deluded. I want this movie to be successful, and re-invigorate the Trek franchise. I want modern. I want retcon. I want it to be real, and fast, and hard, and exciting, and good!

I do NOT want "Will........iamShatner!"

Goodbye Shatner. Your Kirk days are done. You brought it on yourself...

well put. I like Shatner, but his days on Star Trek are long behind him. He made the choice 14 years ago to kill Kirk (or he agreed to it or whatever). Now he should move on. It's not like he's George Takei, some pathetic one hit wonder who needs to constantly suck from the Trek Teet. He has a good thing going with Boston Legal and he should leave Trek alone. Besides look how old he is now. Why does he want his current old fat self held in comparison to the young buff guy who took off his shirt every week 40 years ago?
Spock works for the film because his character was never killed off and as a Vulcan a long life is expected.
He should just be flattered that he created a character that people are still interested in 40 years later and make some cash the checks that will come with the increased merchandising.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI: The Shat Has Hit the Fan - 2007-10-27 4:08 AM
While I agree with what's been said,I'd still like to see Shatner in the movie.He's still Captain Kirk to me.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI: The Shat Has Hit the Fan - 2007-10-27 6:21 AM
well put. I like Shatner, but his days on Star Trek are long behind him. He made the choice 14 years ago to kill Kirk (or he agreed to it or whatever). Now he should move on. It's not like he's George Takei, some pathetic one hit wonder who needs to constantly suck from the Trek Teet. He has a good thing going with Boston Legal and he should leave Trek alone. Besides look how old he is now. Why does he want his current old fat self held in comparison to the young buff guy who took off his shirt every week 40 years ago?
Spock works for the film because his character was never killed off and as a Vulcan a long life is expected.
He should just be flattered that he created a character that people are still interested in 40 years later and make some cash the checks that will come with the increased merchandising.

Presactly!

Don't get me wrong: I love James T. Kirk. I loved Shatner as James T. Kirk. But, those days are behind us now.

I'll make a Doctor Who comparison that maybe only a few of you will get. Shatner should be like Tom Baker. Baker was the most famous and loved for his portrayal of the Doctor, in the history of the series. His performance stands the test of time of still being a genuine classic sci-fi icon.

But, when he was done, he was done. And no matter how many people yearn and crave for a "one more time" reprisal of the role, he still refuses to do it twenty-seven years on. He's stated that he basically wants people to remember him and his Doctor as they were, in the prime of his life. He's perfectly happy being remembered for the character, not reminding them of the character.

Shatner should take some cues from his act. Take your curtain call, bow to the audience, and leave the stage gracefully...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI: The Shat Has Hit the Fan - 2007-11-09 10:43 PM
Cast added to first post...
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-11-10 3:17 AM
I think Simon Pegg will make a great Scotty.

Loved him in Shaun Of The Dead.

John Cho was terrific in Harold and Kumar.

The two will add a lot to the movie.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-11-22 7:58 AM
First glimpse at the new Spock...

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI - 2007-12-10 11:37 PM
Kirk9(?)and Orion slave girl:

They're pretty shitty, but more up on the site.
Posted By: thedoctor Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 3:44 AM
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 3:52 AM
I heard some dumb shit about this movie already.

First, as you can see the Enterprise is being constructed on Earth, not in orbit.
Second, Kirk sleeps with the girl who's responsible for the training systems and has her alter the Kobayashi Maru program for him.
Third, people protest his graduation and call him a cheat and stuff.
Lastly, that fucking Tyler Perry dude is in it.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 4:01 AM
Let's also not forget there hasn't been shit said about Pike's run as Captain...
Posted By: Sonhaven Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 4:27 AM
Good points....but I'm still gonna see it
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 4:41 AM
Me too.
But I'll be complaining all the way (if it's all true).
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 6:44 AM
That looks fucking SWEET! I really dig how they play around with the sound bytes and merging in the theme.

Nimoy sounds old. I hope this is his dignified curtain call on the character...
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 6:50 AM

Nimoy sounds old. I hope this is his dignified curtain call on the character...

Yeah, me too.. it would be a good high note to go out on...
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 7:28 AM
QUESTION: If the box office is good, should they attempt another show set in the Classic Trek 'verse? I have a feeling they might.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 7:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: TK-069
QUESTION: If the box office is good, should they attempt another show set in the Classic Trek 'verse? I have a feeling they might.

I wish they would make another Trek show, but only if:

It is fresh and original and has a great cast and storylines

Only if it is to be a very good Trek show, and not just another Trek show for the sake of having one.

I am guilty of not watching Enterprise while it was on - and not appreciating it.. and now,I feel cheated because I got into it posthumously and mourn the missing last three seasons of the show.. this should have been the final year for Enterprise!

I am willing to give a new Trek show a chance...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 9:37 AM

please tell me thats not real...
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 10:11 AM
It is.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 10:14 AM
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 12:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

please tell me thats not real...

Uhura?

I'm not convinced he can pull it off....
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 1:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
<object width="400" height="327" id="uvp_fop"><param name="movie" value="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="id=6027003&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&postpanelEnable=1&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1&carouselEnable=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed height="327" width="400" id="uvp_fop" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=6027003&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1"></embed></object>

Awesome. Easily the best part of my night watching 'Cloverfield'.

BTW, how do you embed this??
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 1:22 PM
Only mods can embed HTML.
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 1:30 PM
Well that's lame.

Do they get a cut from youtube or something?
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 1:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: whomod
Well that's lame.

Do they get a cut from youtube or something?

with youtube you take part of the url and then put it in between the [ youtube ] ubb.
mods can do html because Rob is a fucking asshole who hates the world and wants to spread misery so that we all feel as short and stupid as he does. he gives the html power to mods only so that the rest of us can be tormented seeing them html all over the place.
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-22 4:03 PM
Well then, kiss posting any Daily Show, ABC, NBC, and CBS news clips then. And it's only going ot get worse now that the studios smell $$$$'s from embedded video and it starts getting yanked from YouTube..
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-23 8:15 AM
Kirk: Bones. I. Need. To. Talk. To. The. Guy. From. Broke Back. Moun-tain.
McCoy: He's dead Jim.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-24 1:34 AM
First look at an interior corridor...don't think it's from Enterprise, though. Could be wrong...

Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-24 1:47 AM
Looks like Spacedock to me. God, I hope it is...
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-24 8:23 AM
I like it.

Most military ships usually don't look like the inside of a Hilton.

Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-24 9:59 AM
Who do YOU know, ya pretentious bastard?!
Are you from the 24th fucking century?!?!
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-24 10:11 AM
First look at an interior corridor...don't think it's from Enterprise, though. Could be wrong...

Looks like Spacedock to me. God, I hope it is...

I like it.

Most military ships usually don't look like the inside of a Hilton.

Who do YOU know, ya pretentious bastard?!
Are you from the 24th fucking century?!?!

I may not know much but I do know what a hotel corridor looks like.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 2:12 AM

like the hotel the politburo puts you up in when you report home to moscow?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 2:59 AM
This thread is about Trek, Phil. Don't start.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 3:01 AM
Then stop feeding him.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 3:25 AM
I was pretty sure halo was the only one who couldn't tell when I'm being serious and when I'm just messing around with someone.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 3:26 AM
I just assume your being a retarded bsams in all your posts.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 3:26 AM
pro, if I were really interested in trolling this fine thread, it's generally not hard to find differences of opinion between you and me as concerns the trek anyway.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 3:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
I just assume your being a retarded bsams in all your posts.

most of my generation of trolls either follow the retarded bsams pattern or the retarded reax pattern. retarded bsams is far less of a stigma.
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch

You mean 'The Vladimir'?
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:43 AM

You mean 'The Vladimir'?

da.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:01 AM
pro, if I were really interested in trolling this fine thread, it's generally not hard to find differences of opinion between you and me as concerns the trek anyway.

Just because Deep Space Nine rules you all doesn't make everything you like about Trek wrong.

It just makes you wrong for not liking it...

(P.S. I knew you were joking. I am equally surprised in a Halo-esque fashion that you didn't catch the dead-pan in my response. This is a Trek thread. You had an opening for Space-Bugs all over the place. Dammit Phil... )
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:02 AM
I'M JUST STATING MY OPINION!!!!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:03 AM
" Captain, there be Space Bugs aboard!"
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:23 AM
Sisko would get rid of them with a simple scowl.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:30 AM
Sisko RAWKS!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 6:57 AM

Quoted for The Fucking Truth.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:28 AM

Quoted for The Fucking Truth.

Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:29 AM
Meh. He was OK.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:29 AM
Sisko was just alright with me.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:38 AM
Kirk
Sisko
Picard
Janeway

Es fin.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:40 AM
Janeway
Sisko
Picard
Archer
Kirk
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:48 AM
picard
sisko

that is all.

p.s.: pro, I didn't dislike all of ds9. I thoroughly enjoyed the dominion war. I was actually angling for another discussion of all the enterprise continuity-trampling.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:50 AM
janeway

kirk

picard

sisko
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:52 AM
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 7:53 AM
tom baker RAWKS!

that is all...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:01 AM

John "Starkiller" Sheridan FTW!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:04 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

John "Starkiller" Sheridan FTW!

"You are the one who was.. you are the one who is.. and, you are the one who will be."

Zathros, from the Babylon 5 episode entitled " War Without End."
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:06 AM
  • Picard
  • Sisko
  • Archer
  • Kirk
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy57

Is Robbie The Robot goosing Dr. Who?
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:33 AM

Is Robbie The Robot goosing Dr. Who?

You are confusing Robby the Robot with the Lost in Space Robot.

A natural mistake, as many have made it before you.

And, yes, the Robot is goosing The Doctor!
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 8:34 AM
I forgot about Archer. He's last on my list...

But yeah, if we're going crossover on this bitch, of course Sheridan beats all.
Fuck I miss B5.
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 9:03 AM

I was actually angling for another discussion of all the enterprise continuity-trampling.

Enterprise didn't do anything to continuity. just a bunch of anal star trek fans who insisted that an offhand remark in an episode be treated as strict history. it really does only conflict with a few remarks made here and there over 25 years. and enterprise even managed to tie up some continuity holes by showing how and why the klingons appearance changed.
Enterprise was a decent show.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:01 PM
I love Enterprise, myself.

Does anyone remember that it was orginally stated that the first Captain of the first starship named Enterprise was supposed to be named Captain April?

We learn that in an episode of TOS, but don't ask me which one it was...
Posted By: whomod Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:09 PM
Yes. It was also on My Star Trek TNG Genesis game's console data banks.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:10 PM
Ah, ok, good. I was thinking that nobody else here knew that, and I'd have to prove it.

Thanks, Whomod!
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:12 PM

I was actually angling for another discussion of all the enterprise continuity-trampling.

Enterprise didn't do anything to continuity. just a bunch of anal star trek fans who insisted that an offhand remark in an episode be treated as strict history. it really does only conflict with a few remarks made here and there over 25 years. and enterprise even managed to tie up some continuity holes by showing how and why the klingons appearance changed.
how did they explain the Klingons appearance change?
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:15 PM
Captain Robert April was the Captain in the intial pitch Roddenberry wrote. He was the captain of the starship Yorktown.
He then went back and toughened up the names to Captain Christopher Pike and Enterprise when someone told him the name April was too "effiminate."
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:17 PM
  • Picard
  • Sisko
  • Archer
  • Kirk
I would put Kirk over Sisko and Yeah Piccard was head and shoulders above all the rest. He set a standard than can never be equaled in my opinion. As far as all this Janeway talk....meh. I felt Chakotay was a better character and leader.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:24 PM

Does anyone remember that it was orginally stated that the first Captain of the first starship named Enterprise was supposed to be named Captain April?

Captain Robert April was the first captain of the NCC-1701 Enterprise for it's first mission only,then command was given to Captain Pike.Now this was detailed out in a Star Trek novel,so it prolly isn't recognized as "continuity" but it was a damn good read and featured the Romulans(whom I preferred over Klingons as the bad guys).Damn you all for making me reveal my inner Trek geek.
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:26 PM
Ther are only 2 types of people in this world.....Trekies and those that secretly wish they were Trekies.

harley wishes she was a Trekie!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 4:27 PM
Oh and Kirk is the motherfuckin' MAN and the best damned captain on Star Trek EVAR!!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP

how did they explain the Klingons appearance change?

Giant space bug.......... IN THE ASS!

Seriously, though, the Klingons were experimenting with duplicating the human program that created Richardo MontoKhan and his ilk. They injected the engineered human genes into some Klingons to make them super badass warriors. Instead, it mutated into a virus that did pump them up like the human variety; but it also killed them and mutated further into an airborne virus. A cure was found, but it made the human gene very dominate, leading to the loss of the head ridges until a better cure was found that restored them.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: allan1

Captain Robert April was the first captain of the NCC-1701 Enterprise for it's first mission only,then command was given to Captain Pike.Now this was detailed out in a Star Trek novel,so it prolly isn't recognized as "continuity" but it was a damn good read and featured the Romulans(whom I preferred over Klingons as the bad guys).Damn you all for making me reveal my inner Trek geek.

I stand somewhat corrected.. by a source that surprises me. Didn't know you were into Trek! Cool....
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:29 PM
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:33 PM
Janeway
Sisko
Picard
Archer
Kirk

Voyager sucks!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:35 PM
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:37 PM
Oh and Kirk is the motherfuckin' MAN and the best damned captain on Star Trek EVAR!!

I need to take a new pic of my Trek figures.. last year, I got a Captain Kirk in casual dress ( green shirt) figure and it's awesome!
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:40 PM
Janeway
Sisko
Picard
Archer
Kirk

Voyager sucks!
I liked Chakotay and Torres.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 5:41 PM
The only Trek figures I've picked up are Kirk in his Captain's Chair,Admiral Kirk from Wrath of Khan and,of course,Khan.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 9:09 PM
Like I wrote before...

Kirk
Sisko
Picard
Archer
adding in Pike.
...and Decker.
Janeway.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 9:10 PM
Here's my rankings:
Kirk

That is all.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-25 9:25 PM
Decker before Janeway. Damn.

For me she still falls behind even guest star captains like Ronny Cox, and Terry O'Quinn.
Posted By: Sonhaven Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 1:21 AM
Janeway
Sisko
Picard
Archer
Kirk

Voyager sucks!

yep....hard.......real hard......donkey balls at that
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 2:38 AM
Janeway
Sisko
Picard
Archer
Kirk

Voyager sucks!

Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 4:14 AM
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 4:24 AM
It's true. It's DAMN true.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 4:25 AM
NEVAR!!!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-01-26 8:03 AM
Decker before Janeway. Damn.

For me she still falls behind even guest star captains like Ronny Cox, and Terry O'Quinn.

Voyager sucks!

Originally Posted By: Sonhaven
yep....hard.......real hard......donkey balls at that

Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
I liked Chakotay and Torres.

Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-10-31 2:35 AM

Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-10-31 6:51 AM
Suppose they went nowhere?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 1:55 AM
Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 2:21 AM
Is that all you've got to say? What about my performance?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 2:23 AM
I'm not a drama critic.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 4:34 AM
I don't like to lose...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 5:02 AM
Who's been holding up the damn elevator?

Did she change her hair?
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 5:14 AM
You're still alive, old friend.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 7:08 AM
He stayed at his post! When the trainees ran!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 9:53 AM
but what about he rest of the inspection...?

later.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 3:18 PM
I shall leave you as you left me...as you left her...marooned for all eternity at the center of a dead planet.........buried alive......buried alive....
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 3:51 PM
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-03 8:55 PM
\:lol\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 4:26 AM
\:lol\: \:lol\: Allan attends rehearsals...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 6:12 AM
Galloping around the cosmos is a game for the young,
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 6:24 AM
Spare me your notions of poetry, Doctor...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 6:34 AM
can I cook or can't I?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 6:59 AM
These men have sworn to live and die at my command two hundred years before you were born.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-04 7:14 AM
These are not the droids you are looking for.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-05 4:17 AM
To many marshmellons,Captain.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-05 9:14 PM
mcCoy was asymbol of the racism in America...then and now.

Damn, green blooded Vulcans....

Damn your logic....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-05 11:38 PM
You really piss me off, Jim...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-07 3:02 AM
Haven't you got any god damn feelings about THAT?
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-07 5:23 AM
They like you very much,but they are not the hell your whales.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-07 5:30 AM
Double-dumbass on you, and so forth...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-08 3:10 AM
You play games with me mister, and you're through.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-08 3:13 AM
NOT NOW MADELINE!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-08 3:58 PM
Nu-cle-ar wessels.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-08 4:02 PM
No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-09 12:23 AM
Gracie is pregnant.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-09 1:37 AM
Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon...
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-09 3:15 PM
One damn minute,Admiral.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-09 8:58 PM
I'd give real money if he'd just shut up
Posted By: The YouTube video poster Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-09 9:18 PM

Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-10 6:58 AM
Hold your horse,Captain.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-10 10:53 PM
Forgive you? I should knock you on your goddamn ass!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-12 3:09 AM
The hell I can't.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-13 3:32 AM

NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise

(L to R) Cadet Pavel Chekhov, Cadet James T. Kirk, Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, Doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy, Ensign Hikaru Sulu, Ensign Nyoto Uhura

Ensign Hikaru Sulu

Doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-13 3:35 AM
I'm really beginning to think that beardguy is dead.

If he was alive he's be on all over this thread like bald on snarf.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-13 5:00 AM
Don't worry, man. The pain will heal and you will move on, I'm certain...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-13 5:01 AM
Simon Pegg looks like a real pissed-off Scotty in that shot...
Posted By: Steve T Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-13 2:42 PM
I think Pegg is the piece of casting I am most unsure about.
that and Kirk looking a bit too boy band.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-15 4:36 PM
I no longer have any doubts. This movie is going to kick-ass...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-15 4:43 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-15 5:37 PM
No really, it looks awesome...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-15 6:56 PM
The CW-aged cast isn't working for me at all. Spock was orginally first officer under Pike and Kirk was supposed to be in his thirties when he commanded the Enterprise. McCoy was older than both and didn't get assigned to the ship until part way through the five year mission. And Chekov was the guy who was supposed to be the newbie out of the academy, not half the crew.

But 1960s-Trek is almost as iconic as Batman to me so I'm admittedly fanboyish and anal retentive about it. I'll reserve judgment until the reviews start coming in.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 3:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
The CW-aged cast isn't working for me at all. Spock was orginally first officer under Pike and Kirk was supposed to be in his thirties when he commanded the Enterprise. McCoy was older than both and didn't get assigned to the ship until part way through the five year mission. And Chekov was the guy who was supposed to be the newbie out of the academy, not half the crew.

Spock is First Officer under Pike in this movie. Don't know about Bones, but I do know he's assigned 1701 before Kirk in this one, because he's the reason Kirk gets to go on board without being assigned to the ship. And from what I understand, Kirk isn't assigned the Enterprise yet (which is why he's wearing the neutral black outfit). It has to do with him cheating on the Kobyashi Maru test, and causing mayhem as a cadet. He's passed up for assignment when he graduates because he's seen as a troublemaker and loose cannon.

Quote:
But 1960s-Trek is almost as iconic as Batman to me so I'm admittedly fanboyish and anal retentive about it. I'll reserve judgment until the reviews start coming in.

You might as well get ready to accept that Abram & Co. are re-writing certain aspects of the timeline for Trek continuity. Judging from the previews, it's exactly what Trek needed, as far as a shot in the arm. Sure, they could have used completely new characters. But, it wouldn't have resonated with everyone as much as using the Classic Crew.

Personally, I don't care how far or much they change it. I'm just looking for a good, fun movie...
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 4:44 PM
I've regarded this as sort of a "Batman Begins" reboot for the Star Trek franchise and if this movie does well,starts a new continuity for the genre.If it fails.......I don't see any future(no pun intended)for the franchise.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 6:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: Lucius Prometheus Vorenus
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC8iKVpDyQE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC8iKVpDyQE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I no longer have any doubts. This movie is going to kick-ass...

Meh.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 6:30 PM
Doctor? Thoughts?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 6:35 PM
I have yet to see anything that would make me want to see this movie.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 6:41 PM
How so? Too "mainstream"?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 6:56 PM
It's almost like it's Galaxy Quest without the self awareness that it's supposed to be funny.

I don't know how to say it. It's not that it's too mainstream as much as it seems to be trying too hard to be mainstream if that makes any sense. It's much like the Superman script that turned Kal-El into Neo from the Matrix. Pegg looks like he'd be a good Scotty. I don't really care about who's cast in the other roles except for McCoy. Ain't no goddamn body going to be a better McCoy than DeForest Kelley.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 7:17 PM
The only person I can think of you might have been able play McCoy almost as well as DeForrest Kelley is Gary Sinise.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 7:22 PM
I agree that Gary Sinise would make the best Dr. McCoy, but I think he's a bit too high profile, too established an actor to work for a franchise of actors. From what I've seen, it looks like they picked actors whose stars were on the rise rather than those who have really made it big already. Now, since I know how much you love to argue and contradict what people say, G-Man, no matter how small or petty those details may be, I await your carefully measured lawyerly argument.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 7:45 PM
I would simply cite the "Batman Begins/Dark Knight" precedent which shows that a perfectly cast "name" actor or two (ex: Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman) among rising stars (ex: Bale, Ledger, Eckhert) can actually improve a film immeasurably.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 7:51 PM
That's true, as long as you can keep them for more than a couple of films. My only concern is that a name actor would either get bored with the franchise, demand much more money than his no-name fellow actors, or leave after the first film to avoid being typecast.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 7:54 PM
Yeah, but this is Gary Sinise we're talking about. The guy currently stars in a CSI spinoff. That would seem to eliminate worries about him getting bored with a franchise or worried about typecasting. If anything, the biggest issue would seem to be whether or not the producers could film his scenes around the TV series schedule.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 8:36 PM
That's another consideration that probably went into their thinking behind casting up and comers.

My biggest problem with the casting is Chris Pine as Kirk. Too pretty-boy, no maturity. It's a completely different Kirk.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 9:18 PM
Well this is Green Arrow Kirk, not Modern Age Kirk.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:01 PM
I don't understand the bit when young Kirk flings himself out of the car and over the side of a cliff. Is the reboot Kirk retarded?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:03 PM
Maybe this Kirk didn't reprogram the computer for the Kobyashi Maru test. Instead, he drooled on the circuit board and shorted it out.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:15 PM
I think he was running from the law, and didn't realize the road ran out. Looked like that chasm was structured, as well. Like the remains of a skyrise basement, or something. I don't know.

Trailer #2 is up in HD over at the Official Site. More detail than the camcorder in the theater version.

And no. No one can possibly be Bones McCoy, save the late, great DeForrest. I'll reserve judgment for what he does with the role until after I've seen the movie.

I think I just want it to be a real action flick with some humor. I've seen enough from the trailer to see that Abrams is sticking in enough continuity to appease me. Pike, check. Enterprise, check. Sarek and Amanda, check. Kirk as rebel/loner, check. Spock torn between human and Vulcan half, check. Scotty is Scotty, check. Sulu is Asian (possibly gay?), check. I'm willing to see pretty much everything else in a new light.

If anything will actually bother me, it will be if Kirk shoots from Cadet to Captain in this movie. Unless the timeframe itself covers the years, I don't want it to be where he saves the Enterprise (due to Pike being injured/absent) and then becomes its Captain and his band of rebels. That might be what I get. But, I hope not...
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:21 PM
im no star trek fan, so i dont really care either way, but is there any fanboyish backlash over these characters all having new actors? can there be a non shatner kirk?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:37 PM
Shatner?

I barely knew her!

Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:38 PM
vulcan gold!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:39 PM
Betty White just Shatner pants.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
im no star trek fan, so i dont really care either way, but is there any fanboyish backlash over these characters all having new actors? can there be a non shatner kirk?

The general consensus seems to be that the Simon Pegg as Scotty and the guy from "Heroes" as Spock are good choices but that Kirk is way too "boy band" looking. Beyond that, I haven't seen much strong opinion either way on the cast.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 10:51 PM
I don't have a problem with Pine, because I never had any pre-existing notion of what Kirk was like when he was younger than the 1960's version. So, he fits fine for me. I've seen a few press shots where he looks very pretty-boy. But, after seeing the trailer, I believe he can pull it off.

Besides, the gut instincts a lot of fans fight with over the whole recasting is that, somewhere in their mind, they think these new actors will be somehow trying to play the old actors. Pine isn't playing The Shat. He's playing a young James T. Kirk. So, given that, and given we've never seen a Kirk this age, it's really difficult to compare them with any accuracy...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:01 PM
My only "pre-existing notion" of a young Kirk is, I guess, a young Shatner, circa "Judgement at Nuremburg" or "The Brothers Karamazov".

As I recall, Pine got decent reviews for "Smokin' Aces" so he might work out as the young Kirk. Still, of all the actors, I think he has the biggest hurdles to overcome since Kirk is so tied to Shatner and, unlike Spock, you don't have makeup to help with the casting.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:01 PM
Plus, it's just a fucking movie.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber

We really need to start raiding star trek message boards.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:03 PM
Seeing the trailer in on the official website just really puts home the point that Abrams drew more from Star Wars than Star Trek.

"Hey... hey.... That Star Wars.... It's got guys riding around on motorcycles without wheels. That'd be cool if we did that. Hey... hey.... You know what else that Star Wars got? It's got giant alien monsters. We should do that too."

Saw the Nimoy, though.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:11 PM

If they are all as sensitive as Pro it should be a blast.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:21 PM
Seeing the trailer in on the official website just really puts home the point that Abrams drew more from Star Wars than Star Trek.

"Hey... hey.... That Star Wars.... It's got guys riding around on motorcycles without wheels. That'd be cool if we did that. Hey... hey.... You know what else that Star Wars got? It's got giant alien monsters. We should do that too."

Saw the Nimoy, though.

But, to be fair, if Roddenberry had the budget in 1966 Trek might have always had those things. For example, the only reason the crew "transported" down to the planet each week was because the show didn't have the budget to show a spaceship landing on a different planet every week.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-17 11:23 PM

dont listen to rex. he just wants to go looking for his lost lover beardguy...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 2:37 AM

Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 2:45 AM

Please don't raid the star trek forums, its the only place I can go to get away from meanies like rex
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 5:33 AM
"it's"...jeezuschrist rex, at least try...
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 5:59 AM
No, actually its Jesus Christ. Learn to spell prometheus.
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 7:04 AM
Quinto as Spock looks awesome, Pegg should be entertaining too.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 6:23 PM
I agree. But Pine makes for a bland Kirk. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see more.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-18 11:55 PM
how bad has rex hurt Pro, for him to resort to the grammar error comeback?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-19 3:13 PM
How bad have I hurt you for you not to be able to tell when two people are joking with each other? Your obsession with me is noted, though. Thanks.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-19 10:42 PM
I must be really getting to you as well. The old, "if you make me look stupid I'll call you obsessed" defense....a Halo82 classic, it fits you well!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 3:49 AM
\:lol\: But, I'm not the one following you around making snide comments...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 3:55 AM
wow! following around, i never click on threads here! look at the register date, check the archives, i was here before you and making fun of idiots way before you, you weren't the first you wont be the last.

learn it, love it, live it!

wank and cry away pro!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 9:48 AM
the obsession continues...
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 5:09 PM
I hate when mommy and daddy fight.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 5:47 PM
wow! following around, i never click on threads here! look at the register date, check the archives, i was here before you and making fun of idiots way before you, you weren't the first you wont be the last.

wank and cry away pro!

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Hey calm down, basams! It's just a message board. Sorry, I didn't realize I could piss you off so easily...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 5:47 PM
the obsession continues...
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 9:09 PM
wow! following around, i never click on threads here! look at the register date, check the archives, i was here before you and making fun of idiots way before you,

It's a job he had to walk up hill both ways to get to.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-20 10:21 PM

wank and cry away pro!

Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 1:35 AM

Just keeping it somewhat on topic.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 2:59 AM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/j-j-abrams-reveals-his-star-trek-movie/

• November 18, 2008, 9:51 am
    J. J. Abrams Reveals His ‘Star Trek’ Movie
    By Dave Itzkoff

“I’ve never been a fan of ‘Star Trek,’” J. J. Abrams told a movie theater full of journalists on Monday night – a perfectly reasonable sentiment, except that Mr. Abrams happens to be the director of the big-budget, high-stakes “Star Trek” film that Paramount is releasing in May.

For Mr. Abrams, a creator and executive producer of the television shows “Lost,” “Alias” and “Fringe,” this was his possibly sympathetic, possibly suicidal way of explaining the premise of his “Star Trek” movie, the eleventh in the long-running science-fiction franchise.

“Despite all the stuff that a non-fan would find silly, clichéd, crazy, my goal was to make it feel legitimate,” he said. To his mind, that meant exploring the earliest adventures of Kirk, Spock and company – set before the era of the original 1960s “Star Trek” television series – and recasting familiar roles with young, polished, relatively untested actors.

The unspoken but understood message: if Mr. Abrams’s “Star Trek” is going to justify its estimated $150 million budget, it had better reach beyond the die-hard fans of Vulcans, Tribbles and dilithium crystals.

Mr. Abrams then played the new trailer for “Star Trek” as well as four longer clips from the film. While Paramount wouldn’t dare let us photograph or record these scenes, under threat of torture by mind-controlling Ceti eels, we’ll do our best to describe them the old-fashioned way.

1. The young James T. Kirk (played by Chris Pine) is drinking forlornly at a bar in 23rd century Iowa (where they still serve Budweiser). Without much success, he flirts with a young Starfleet recruit named Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and picks a fight with four Starfleet grunts who clobber him. Kirk’s bravado impresses another Starfleet officer, Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood), who knew Kirk’s late father, and goads Kirk into joining the Starfleet Academy. “Your father was the captain of a starship for 12 minutes,” Pike tells him. “He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s. Including yours. I dare you to do better.”

2. A medical officer named McCoy (Karl Urban) helps smuggle Kirk aboard the starship Enterprise by injecting him with a vaccine that induces the symptoms of a mysterious disease. While his hands and tongue swell up, Kirk races around the ship, trying to convince the crew they’re about to enter a trap set by the nefarious Romulans. We get our first glimpse of the young Mr. Spock (Zachary Quinto of television’s “Heroes,” in a mop-top haircut and pointy ears), as well as Spock’s human mother (Winona Ryder) and the Romulan bad guy Nero (Eric Bana, in heavy-duty prosthetic makeup).

3. The Enterprise jettisons Kirk on a remote ice planet, where he meets the aged, future incarnation of Spock (ladies and gentlemen, Mister Leonard Nimoy!) as well as a young Starfleet engineer named Montgomery Scott (Simon Pegg). With Old Spock’s help, Scotty completes a mathematical formula that permits living beings to be teleported onto vessels moving at warp speed. (Of course.) As Kirk and Scotty prepare to beam back onto the Enterprise, Kirk wonders if time-traveling and peeking into the future is cheating; Old Spock tells him it’s “a trick I learned from an old friend.”

4. In a lengthy action sequence, Kirk, Sulu (John Cho) and a third, red-shirted Starfleet recruit (don’t get too attached to him) parachute from the upper atmosphere of the planet Vulcan onto a giant drill that is burrowing a hole to the center of the planet. Kirk and Sulu disable the drill, but not before it drops a charge into the planet’s core. Back on the Enterprise, Spock realizes that the charge, when detonated, will create a black hole where his home world used to be – and he now has mere minutes to evacuate the planet’s entire population.

What happens next? Will the new “Star Trek” erase our bitter memories of the last five sequels? (Not including “First Contact,” which I now concede was a pretty good entry in the series.–D.I.) With a crowded summer 2009 season approaching, and movie studios nervously watching their wallets, you can expect many more updates between now and May 8.
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 3:01 AM
Romulan Ale is illegal in the Federation.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 4:32 AM
indeed...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:43 AM
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:46 AM

Guy on left:

Is that a vagina?

Guy on right:

I....Don't.....Know?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:46 AM
Pine looks very Kirk in that shot. I think the thing that's going to bug me with Quinto is his voice. Nimoy has that very distinct gravely, smoking-voice, whereas Zachary has his normal "Sylar" voice. But, then again, I'm just judging that off of the short little clip in the trailer. For all I know it may not even be a factor. He certainly looks a lot like Nimoy...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:47 AM

Guy on left:

Is that a vagina?

Guy on right:

I....Don't.....Know?

\:lol\: This would be a good "Caption This" pic...
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:47 AM
Maybe I should caption it?
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 6:53 AM
You are not a vagina, rex. Don't do this to yourself.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-11-21 11:53 AM
Dammit rex.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-12-06 5:33 AM
http://www.startrekmovie.com/

looks decent enough...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-12-06 9:52 AM
It's bullshit a ship that size would be build on the planet surface.

You would build it or at least assemble in space.
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-12-06 10:02 AM
I think it's been well established that Starfleet in it's early years may not have been overly concerned with practicality. Look at Uhura's outfit for example.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2008-12-06 5:47 PM
trust snarf to segue into fashion sensibilities amid a discussion of the practicalities of starship construction.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 10:33 PM
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 10:39 PM
priiice line neg-o-ti-aaaaaa-tor!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:05 PM
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:09 PM
hooray!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:22 PM
That new Trek trailer looks fucking tight. I'm liking the direction JJ Abrams is pushing Trek. Revamp-without-Retcon. Damn cool...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:23 PM
So... Kirk comes out of the Academy as a Captain?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:28 PM
Its not unknown in the military services for higher ranking officers to get high rankings straight after attending academies.
Thats the general rule of thumb with fast track training.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:29 PM
Nah...the movie takes place over a couple of decades, from the time he's born, up to the time he becomes Captain. At least, that's what I've read about it. If it turns out to be insta-Captain, I'm going to feel nauseated. Abrams said he's going by the Original Series and movies, and that's it. No other source, professional or fandom, would be considered part of his story. So, technically, it doesn't contradict anything (I don't believe). But, it would still be a bad idea. I do like the hint we get that we see the "accident" that leaves Christopher Pike wheelchair-bound/fucked-up. It would be a nice tie-in.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:31 PM
 Quote:

In the first twenty-four hours after it was released, the newest Star Trek XI trailer has broken records with 1.8 million downloads.

As reported by Reuters, that was not the only record broken by the Star Trek XI trailer. It now holds the record for most weekly downloads, with over five million downloads since debuting on Apple.com/trailers last week. The Star Trek XI trailer is the most popular HD download ever on the Apple site.

To read more, head to the article located here.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
Its not unknown in the military services for higher ranking officers to get high rankings straight after attending academies.

They come out as Officers, but low ranking Officers. Not captains in charge of large ships.
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:37 PM
Nah...the movie takes place over a couple of decades, from the time he's born, up to the time he becomes Captain. At least, that's what I've read about it. If it turns out to be insta-Captain, I'm going to feel nauseated. Abrams said he's going by the Original Series and movies, and that's it. No other source, professional or fandom, would be considered part of his story. So, technically, it doesn't contradict anything (I don't believe). But, it would still be a bad idea. I do like the hint we get that we see the "accident" that leaves Christopher Pike wheelchair-bound/fucked-up. It would be a nice tie-in.
who is Christopher Pike?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:39 PM
Nah...the movie takes place over a couple of decades, from the time he's born, up to the time he becomes Captain. At least, that's what I've read about it. If it turns out to be insta-Captain, I'm going to feel nauseated. Abrams said he's going by the Original Series and movies, and that's it. No other source, professional or fandom, would be considered part of his story. So, technically, it doesn't contradict anything (I don't believe).

Well, actually, according to the original series continuity (that is, actual episodes aired), Spock was originally on the Enterprise, under Pike, long before Kirk set foot on the ship (Kirk was stationed on a different ship). Furthermore, McCoy didn't get assigned to the ship until sometime after Kirk took over as Captain. On the original series there was a different doctor for the first few episodes.

Similarly, Chekov didn't join the crew until sometime in the middle of the "five year mission."

So, obviously, they're using a different continuity than the original series which, granted, was always loose to begin with.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-12 11:39 PM
who is Christopher Pike?

Your mom.
-rex
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 12:56 AM

So, obviously, they're using a different continuity than the original series which, granted, was always loose to begin with.

JJ mentioned this when he was questioned at wondercon
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 12:57 AM

They come out as Officers, but low ranking Officers. Not captains in charge of large ships.

But they are not spacemen!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 12:57 AM
who is Christopher Pike?

The guy who was Captain of the Enterprise before James T. Kirk. He was played by an actor named Jeffrey Hunter, in the first pilot for Star Trek. The execs didn't like the character, so he was replaced with a character named James Kirk (Shatner) in the second pilot. The transition between the two Captains was never seen, which is part of the timeframe era I believe this new movie covers.

Well, actually, according to the original series continuity (that is, actual episodes aired), Spock was originally on the Enterprise, under Pike, long before Kirk set foot on the ship

Yeah, the original pilot, under Pike's command. This movie covers that, I believe.

Quote:
(Kirk was stationed on a different ship).

Was he? I guess I could look it up, but I'm lazy so I'll just accept it.

Quote:
Furthermore, McCoy didn't get assigned to the ship until sometime after Kirk took over as Captain. On the original series there was a different doctor for the first few episodes.

I know there was a "Doctor Piper", which was in the first two episodes (maybe?) of the original series, before DeForrest Kelly was cast as Bones. "Doctor Bryce" was under Pike. Still, nowhere in the show did it literally state that Bones wasn't on the ship and we just didn't see him. Same with Chekhov, he could have been in another department. Sulu was in astrophysics in the second pilot, so he obviously shifted jobs. But, it doesn't matter since...

Quote:

Bingo!

Eric Bana's character is from the timeframe of Patrick Stewart's Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's time travel. JJ Abrams said this new timeline is an alternate one. The original Shatner-verse still exists. Meh.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 1:00 AM
 Quote:

In the first twenty-four hours after it was released, the newest Star Trek XI trailer has broken records with 1.8 million downloads.

As reported by Reuters, that was not the only record broken by the Star Trek XI trailer. It now holds the record for most weekly downloads, with over five million downloads since debuting on Apple.com/trailers last week. The Star Trek XI trailer is the most popular HD download ever on the Apple site.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Thats a lot of people who have never been laid!
Snarf should take solace in this news!
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 2:10 AM
That new Trek trailer looks fucking tight. I'm liking the direction JJ Abrams is pushing Trek. Revamp-without-Retcon. Damn cool...

Hopefully the sucktitude of Fringe means that he's putting all of his effort into Star Trek.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 3:44 AM
I think Zach Quinto is going to own the screen everytime he gets in front of the camera. You can't beat Sylar...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 4:14 AM

...Chekhov, he could have been in another department.

Not to belabor a point that I think we're largely in agreement on, but Chekov was at least ten years younger than Kirk. As such it's almost impossible that he would have been serving with "Young Kirk" in the new movie if they were using ToS continuity. However, as you note:

Eric Bana's character is from the timeframe of Patrick Stewart's Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's time travel. JJ Abrams said this new timeline is an alternate one. The original Shatner-verse still exists. Meh.

Yeah, if they were going to do a reboot, they just should have done a reboot. Either that, or keep the original continuity as much as possible. This half-measure thing is unlikely to satisfy a lot of people.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 4:16 AM
Its kinda like Crisis on infinite nerds!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 5:55 PM
Give in Cuntbag. One of us. One of us. One of us. One of us...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 5:55 PM
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 6:25 PM
i bet that baby character says something irreverent right there!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 6:43 PM
Rob, you baby hate is becoming predictable...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 6:48 PM

If they hadn't used the Patrick Stewart/CIA chief design from "American Dad" for Stewart I would have had no idea who any of those people in the transporter were. They all look like generic Seth MacFarlane characters.
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:18 PM

you baby hate!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:19 PM
If they hadn't used the Patrick Stewart/CIA chief design from "American Dad" for Stewart I would have had no idea who any of those people in the transporter were. They all look like generic Seth MacFarlane characters.

You know it's an episode, right?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:20 PM

Thats not a baby, Pro really is that short!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:26 PM

you baby hate!

Touche'...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:27 PM

And bald!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:37 PM

You know it's an episode, right?

Yeah and I admit I haven't seen it yet (has it even aired). I was just remarking that these weren't his best bunch of caricatures IMO.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 7:48 PM

And bald!

That was the gyst of the joke....jeez, nothing like overstating the obvious!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 9:19 PM
Says the master...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 9:20 PM
Yes, you did!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 10:19 PM
Rubber and glue next?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-13 10:26 PM
Is that how you fix your wig on?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-03-14 12:05 AM
I would never take credit for your genius...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 12:47 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/star-treks-snea.html
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 1:19 AM
 Quote:
it concluded with a standing ovation that lasted five to six minutes. "After the film, the audience was a collective smile, some crying they were so happy"

gay
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 2:45 AM
Its rumored that they spent half the marketing budget on feeding harry knowles.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 3:06 AM
 Quote:
it concluded with a standing ovation that lasted five to six minutes. "After the film, the audience was a collective smile, some crying they were so happy"

gay

Yeah, I mean like Trek and all, but some of those Trekkies have no emotional priority. It's just a fucking sci-fi movie.

Not to mention, Harry Knowles just "happened" to be at a "surprise" screening? Riiight. They filled the theater with Trekkies so that they would create an internet buzz.

I still can't wait for the movie. But, this kind of obvious marketing trickery isn't necessary...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 3:30 AM
 Quote:

gay

I don't think that the word 'gay' is sufficient enough to describe what that is. I'm not sure any word in all the languages in all the world are good enough. They may just have to create a brand new one.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 3:46 AM
I am sure the Trekkie gayboys will tell you what it is in Klingon. (ps: Klingon is almost like Klinton, so more proof that Trek is gay)
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 5:11 AM
 Quote:

gay

I don't think that the word 'gay' is sufficient enough to describe what that is. I'm not sure any word in all the languages in all the world are good enough. They may just have to create a brand new one.

"pariah"?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-08 5:14 AM
heh.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 12:53 AM
 Quote:

gay

"pariah"?

I would've suggested "Kamphausen".
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 12:55 AM
Live Long and Prosper Grimm!
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 12:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
 Quote:

gay

"pariah"?

only because you're a "pariah"
Posted By: Grimm Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 12:59 AM
Live Long and Prosper Grimm!

what is this starfleet you speak of?
Posted By: Grimm Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 1:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
 Quote:

gay

"pariah"?

only because you're a "pariah"

oh yeah? well, you're a "paraiah"! so how do you-wait, hang on. phone's ringing. . .

. . .ok, where were we?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 1:19 AM
Chekhov is captured by the crew of the 20th century aircraft carrier Enterprise, and interrogated...

"Let's start from the top..."

"The top of vhat?"

"Name."

"My name?"

"No, MY name..."

"I do not know your name!"

"You play games with me mister, and you're through!"

"I am? May I go now?"

Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 3:15 AM
Chekhov is captured by the crew of the 20th century aircraft carrier Enterprise, and interrogated...

"Let's start from the top..."

"The top of vhat?"

"Name."

"My name?"

"No, MY name..."

"I do not know your name!"

"You play games with me mister, and you're through!"

"I am? May I go now?"

It was funnier when Abbott & Costello did it as "Who's On First?"

Not only is Trek lame and gay, it's unoriginal and Snarfish in its joke thievery.

Fuck Trek - may Roddenberry be eternally sodomized by Xenu.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 3:56 AM
"In your face Joe Mama you idiotic nonsense fucksmack. Live long and prosper all the fucking way I say!!!" - Simon Pegg (probably)
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:00 AM
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:03 AM
i was just saying to my dad yesterday that i think karl urban is gonna tear it up as bones.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:05 AM
From what I hear online from all the people that got the advanced screening, Urban stands out as the one absolutely nails his character. They say he finds that absolute perfect rhythm and balance between doing it his way, and paying homage to DeForrest Kelley. And from that clip, I fucking believe it!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:08 AM
Anonymous 28 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: Star Trek XI

Show yourself!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:08 AM
Pro's dream realized, a man nailing DeForrest Kelley....
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:10 AM
I knew that terminology would be too easy for someone to resist... *sigh*
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:11 AM
you knew the job was dangerous when you took it
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:11 AM
OR....."they don't call him 'Bones' for nothing!

Wakka-Wakka-Wakka!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:11 AM
your italicization was a Freudian slip!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:12 AM
you knew the job was dangerous when you took it

The RKMBS is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:13 AM
your italicization was a Freudian slip!

How dare you! My Freudian slip is NEVER italicized!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 4:26 AM
thats not what he said!
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 5:43 AM
Create your own Trek adventure.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-04-10 5:53 AM
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-05-04 3:16 AM
Trek Stars Speak About New Film's Challenges

Let's get it out of the way: the new Star Trek is actually very good.

Where so many big-blockbuster takes on our old favourites boldly go and fall flat on their faces, the makers of this prequel to the world's best-loved sci-fi show have steered the Starship Enterprise, presumably at warp speed, right into 2009.

The real brains behind the rebirth of Spock and Kirk is director and producer JJ Abrams. Previously known as the man who gave birth to Lost, Alias, Cloverfield and Mission Impossible 3, he's now being labelled as the next Steven Spielberg.

"I didn't even know what Star Trek was any more," he told us when the Trek promotional rollercoaster rolled into London.

"When you say Star Trek, was it Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Next Generation? I just thought Kirk and Spock. That always felt like Star Trek to me."

So are we right in assuming Abrams wasn't an ardent Trekkie?

"I was somewhere in the middle, maybe more in the non-fan contingent," he smiled diplomatically.

"I didn't really get it, and growing up (my) friends did. I knew it was popular but I was just never among them.

"But I found myself falling in love with this world, and when I read the script, I felt I would be so jealous if anyone else directed this film. So I had to do it."

Which led him back to the original source material - more specifically the characters of Spock and Kirk.

This new film is a prequel to the original series, showing how those two characters met. Kind of like Star Trek: The College Years. Which begged the question, how on earth would they find actors to fill those iconic roles?

"It was made very clear that we weren't expected in any way to try to recreate what had come before," explained Zachary Quinto, who until now has been known as Sylar from Heroes, but from this point on will be forever thought of as the new Spock.

"We used it rather as a point of entry for our own interpretations and understandings of who these characters are. They exsist in a very different environment."

Chris Pine, whose most high-profile role to date was in Princess Diaries 2, nods his head.

"I hoped, well I tried, to at least make this character as much as my own and do as good as a job as Mr Shatner had done in the past," he smiles.

So no dodgy cover versions of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on the cards then.

Mainly, this is a cast of lesser-known stars.

There, is of course, the already much-discussed return of one key original cast member (here's a clue, he's a Vulcan) and then there is Simon Pegg. Cast, albeit fairly briefly, as the younger Scotty. And yes, he is already bored of people asking him to beam them up.

"I know, I know," he laughs. "People always want you to say the iconic lines like 'The engines cannae take it' and stuff, but that's because he's an iconic character, he's cemented in our minds as popular culture.

"In this film, the characters are bigger than the actors. You don't want anyone to eclipse the characters."
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-05-04 4:02 AM
Did anyone see the "special preview" during Lost last week? All it was was Kirk in the snow running away from a monster that got attacked by a bigger monster and then they fell down a cliff. It could have been a scene from any big budget action movie. It was the most generic preview I've ever seen.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Star Trek XI Teaser - 2009-05-04 4:07 AM
True but it was funny and made me want to go see it.
Posted By: the G-man Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-08 6:14 PM
Interstellar Affairs: You might love the new Star Trek—but not for the reasons you loved the old one.

Star Trek 2.0: J. J. Abrams has reimagined the Star Trek franchise by starting over with a whole new cast playing James T. Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Spock, and Sulu — now with twice the macho gayness.

"Star Trek" gave critic goosebumps: Mick didn't expect much from the new "Star Trek" but now feels that the movie taps into our collective affection for the characters.

Star Trek: The CBR Review: “Star Trek” was one of the best Trek films ever made, yet it falls short in many ways of being a great movie (“Star Trek II” was not just a great Trek movie, but a great movie).
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-08 11:41 PM
Blah, blah, blah. I just got back from seeing it, and it kicked all kinds of fucking ass! It rocks the hardest, and is the best Trek movie since The Wrath of Khan. I can't wait for the sequels!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 12:40 AM
ill be catching it tonight. On Imax. because im cool like that...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:38 AM
P.S. Simon Pegg rules as Scotty. But, Karl Urban was the best.

"I might throw up on you..." \:lol\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:40 AM
Oh and Greg Grunberg (Parkman from Heroes) gets his obligatory Abrams-movie/show-cameo. He's the voice of Kirk's uncle over the Nokia product placement phone.

Spoilers!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:41 AM
I want to make fuck to the new Uhura...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:42 AM

Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:43 AM
"Out of the chair." \:lol\:
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:07 AM
Calm down spanky. Its just a movie.
Posted By: sneaky bunny Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:09 AM
ill be catching it tonight. On Imax. because im cool like that...

because he's the janitor.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:18 AM
Calm down spanky. Its just a movie.

"No one who's seen the movie would say that."
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:19 AM
Seriously, though, it's a good popcorn flick. Great attention to detail, ILM effects, fun action that doesn't take itself too seriously. I really had a good time. Worth seeing on the big screen for the space shots and all...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:20 AM
i heard they dont show blood.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:22 AM
I'm gonna see it eventually. I just avoid star trek movies on opening weekend. I had a bad experience a couple years ago.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:22 AM
Nope, plenty of blood. Even Spock gets a green-blooded lip... \:lol\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:23 AM
I'm gonna see it eventually. I just avoid star trek movies on opening weekend. I had a bad experience a couple years ago.

Klingons, huh? You should ask Grimm about being stuck in an elevator at a con with about six really fat people made up like Klingons... \:lol\: \:lol\:
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:24 AM
Seriously, though, it's a good popcorn flick. Great attention to detail, ILM effects, fun action that doesn't take itself too seriously. I really had a good time. Worth seeing on the big screen for the space shots and all...

Funny, cause isnt that most of the stuff you hated about Wolverine?
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:25 AM
If you go to a con you're asking for it.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:31 AM

Nope. I hate Wolverine because it took seventeen different source materials and tried to cram them all together with the almighty and repetitive Cliche as a foundation, while at the same time neutering the once-feared and awesome Wolverine into a "misunderstood nice guy with a gruff heart of gold". It was superhero cartoon.

Star Trek is based on Star Trek, and is Star Trek. There's no comparison.

I suggest you check out the new Trek movie. It's good stuff!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:32 AM
If you go to a con you're asking for it.

Fair enough. It's still not an experience I'd wish on my worst enemy, though...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:34 AM

Nope. I hate Wolverine because it took seventeen different source materials and tried to cram them all together with the almighty and repetitive Cliche as a foundation, while at the same time neutering the once-feared and awesome Wolverine into a "misunderstood nice guy with a gruff heart of gold". It was superhero cartoon.

Star Trek is based on Star Trek, and is Star Trek. There's no comparison.

I suggest you check out the new Trek movie. It's good stuff!

And there was me thinking it was a new reimagining of Star Trek.

And no, I will not check it out because I dont fucking like Star Trek.
If its Star Trek is Star Trek is Star Trek, how on Earth will I like it being that I hate Star Trek?

If you are saying I will like it cause its not like Star Trek, then you have contradicted your initial statement!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:51 AM
\:lol\: Whatever dude! It's still a good fucking movie. You should check it out. I think you'll like it...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 2:17 PM
No!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 2:22 PM
I caught the late showing last night.Theater was full bu not overcrowded and I was able to actually sit back and enjoy the movie.It was really good and I enjoyed it.I thought everyone turned in solid performances and Chris Pine did a fine job as Kirk without being too Shatnery)but you could see some lines delivered with a Shat-feel too 'em).Quinto as Spock was excellent and Pegg as Scotty was brilliant.However,I do see where some of the purists will go apeshit over what the new reality is now set as for the series and can't wait to see the lamentation.I was right in saying before that this a reboot of the series because it's continuity is now it's own and cannot follow the previous one.Whether this turns out to be a good thing or not remains to be seen but I don't really care too much because I just liked seeing a good Trek movie.
RAWK!!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 4:51 PM
I caught the late showing last night.Theater was full bu not overcrowded and I was able to actually sit back and enjoy the movie.It was really good and I enjoyed it.I thought everyone turned in solid performances and Chris Pine did a fine job as Kirk without being too Shatnery)but you could see some lines delivered with a Shat-feel too 'em).Quinto as Spock was excellent and Pegg as Scotty was brilliant.However,I do see where some of the purists will go apeshit over what the new reality is now set as for the series and can't wait to see the lamentation.I was right in saying before that this a reboot of the series because it's continuity is now it's own and cannot follow the previous one.Whether this turns out to be a good thing or not remains to be seen but I don't really care too much because I just liked seeing a good Trek movie.
RAWK!!

Bana's Nero was paper-thin, I have to say. Other than that, I'm damn good with this movie. I think Karl Urban wins the award for this one, though. At the same time, seeing Sulu actually kick some ass for once was awesome!

I've been reading other scifi boards to get a feel for the fandom reaction. About 98% of Trek fans seems to be loving this movie, while the other 2% are writhing in their "Shatnerverse Only!" bile, hating how successful and mainstream this movie makes Trek. The Onion's report seems to actually be accurate, concerning that small faction of extremists.

Also, JJ's got some balls on him to make the "big changes" like he did in this movie. Removing an entire planet from play, and also bringing a romantic subplot to the surface that may have always been there. That takes guts when messing with the Holy Bible of Geekdom...
Posted By: Pariah Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 5:31 PM
Decent movie. But I'm not sure that I appreciate what it does to Star Trek's continuity--or that whatever it did do would yield good future stories since the 'younger version from the tangent universe' novelty would only last for one showing.

It almost feels like they're saying, "Well, all the old one's are dead and gone and this continuity's all dried up, so we might as well just make a new one filled with teenagers and twenty-somethings."

My only consolation is that it didn't mess with the Star Trek: Enterprise continuity.

As usual, Scot was the most enjoyable character. But Chekov's hair was all wrong!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 7:54 PM
 Quote:

As reported by Variety, Star Trek XI, which opened at 7 P.M. Thursday night, grossed an estimated seven million dollars as of Friday morning.

Not expected to gross as much as Wolverine or Iron Man, Star Trek XI nonetheless held its own over the other two recent releases. Wolverine grossed almost five million dollars in its midnight showings and Iron Man grossed somewhat over four million dollars.

To read the article, head here.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 7:54 PM
They're estimating between 65-72 for the weekend. That would be damn good for a Star Trek movie...
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-09 9:37 PM
25mil in for friday, alone.

i think the previous trek film totaled around $40
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 12:30 AM
this movie kicked ass.

nice to know how mccoy got his nickname.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 12:31 AM
and the playing of the original series music at the end was a nice touch
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 2:05 AM
It was very good. I liked how they respected the original material and can go on their own way now.Bones and Spock were the 2 best roles.

I also agree that Bana was the worst part of the movie....horrible villain IMO.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 1:59 PM
I didn't think Bana was horrible.....he was just the vehicle villain.Something to fight against I guess.A shame though,he coulda been Spock's Khan if they showed the personal vendetta angle up more in his role(aside from blowing up Vulcan....that was pretty personal).
Posted By: Captain Sweden Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 7:35 PM
Saw it Thursday this week. Liked it apart from the nauseating intro and Captain Nero. Didn't feel like Star Trek but it was a good sci-fi action film.

Cool moments (warning: spoilers!!!):

Kirk in the bed with a green woman, who just happens to be Uhura's roommate. Priceless.

Nimoy-Spock meeting Zachary-Spock. Loved the fact that Nimoy-Spock had fooled young Kirk into believing that the universe exploding if young and old Spock would meet.

Captain Pike being in the movie.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-10 10:54 PM
  • 'Star Trek' beams up $76.5 million

Paramount’s “Star Trek” successfully left space dock to gross $76.5 million in its domestic box office debut, including $4 million in Thursday night shows.

J. J. Abrams’ reboot of the classic sci-fi franchise came in on the upper end of expectations, and all but guarantees that Par will pursue a next installment.

“Star Trek” took a bite out of 20th Century Fox holdover “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” which debuted to $87 million last weekend, the best opening of the year.

“Wolverine” fell a steep 68% in its second sesh to $27 million from 4,102 runs for a 10-day domestic cume of $129.6 million. Fanboy-driven titles often see sizeable drops in the second weekend, although “Wolverine’s” was on the higher end. “X-Men: The Last Stand” likewise declined 67% in its soph sesh on its way to cuming $234 million domestically. ("Last Stand" had no direct competition in its second weekend.)

Summit Entertainment’s “Next Day Air,” the weekend’s other wide opener, strugged to find an aud. Urban comedy grossed $4 million from 1,138 runs.

“Star Trek” led another up weekend at the domestic B.O., with revs running as much as 22% over the same weekend last year.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-11 3:18 AM
One thing I didn't like too much was the music score.I was kinda hoping for a James Horner/Jerry Goldsmith kinda thing but it fell kind of flat with me.The end of the movie with the original theme was good but that was it.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-11 6:35 PM
I agree, and I've heard that from other sources. A lot fans and non-fans alike have said they expected a better scrore, especially from a Star Trek movie (which is known for its classical, operatic epiphanies). This had....and I really hate myself for thinking this way.....this had a decidedly "Starship Troopers" sound to it, musically. However, the scene where they beam Pike, Kirk, and Spock back to the Enterprise is awesome for the little Alexander Courage homage, lightly playing the four-note Star Trek signature tune. And the use of the entire original TOS score for the closing credits was just damn cool...
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 10:24 PM
One thing I didn't like too much was the music score.I was kinda hoping for a James Horner/Jerry Goldsmith kinda thing but it fell kind of flat with me.The end of the movie with the original theme was good but that was it.

I agree, and I've heard that from other sources. A lot fans and non-fans alike have said they expected a better scrore, especially from a Star Trek movie (which is known for its classical, operatic epiphanies). This had....and I really hate myself for thinking this way.....this had a decidedly "Starship Troopers" sound to it, musically. However, the scene where they beam Pike, Kirk, and Spock back to the Enterprise is awesome for the little Alexander Courage homage, lightly playing the four-note Star Trek signature tune. And the use of the entire original TOS score for the closing credits was just damn cool...

scoring a flick is such a touchy endeavor; basically you've gotta capture the spirit of the film in every musical gesture and nuance. perhaps the composer was trying to maintain the same sort of separation abrams has been going for in other aspects of the film? I still haven't seen the movie yet, but when I do I will as always be listening intently to the score to hear it for myself...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:27 PM
If they need to capture the spirit of the film, they shoulda got the Village people to score it!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:29 PM
Then Nowhereman would have been the first in line to see it.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:36 PM
But Nöwheremän, wouldnt!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:37 PM
Greenland.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:38 PM
BTW they wouldn't build a ship like that on Earth.

You build it in space.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:39 PM
and time
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:39 PM
Because I fucking said so.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:39 PM
and time
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-12 11:42 PM
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-13 8:21 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-13 10:20 PM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-13 11:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: Lucius Prometheus Vorenus to G-man on the Wolverine thread, but referring to this movie
You should check it out, it's great!

I waiting for a chance to go with my dad. TOS is/was his favorite show. So much so that he could instantly identify the episode by the color of the planet the Enterprise was orbiting in the opening scene.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 12:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lucius Prometheus Vorenus to G-man on the Wolverine thread, but referring to this movie
You should check it out, it's great!

I waiting for a chance to go with my dad. TOS is/was his favorite show. So much so that he could instantly identify the episode by the color of the planet the Enterprise was orbiting in the opening scene.

That is awesome! \:lol\: I'm like that with episodes of M*A*S*H, for some reason...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 12:45 AM
But, remember the marketing tagline of "This isn't your father's Enterprise!" (or something like that). So, he may not like it...
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 6:27 AM
What If ‘Star Trek’ is a Gift from God?
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/05/13/pinkerton_star_trek/
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 6:59 PM
Uhhh.........
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:00 PM
Rodenberry was an atheist...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:00 PM
It's articles like these that give Star Trek fans a bad wrap. Fucking whack-jobs...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:11 PM
rap.

A "bad wrap" is what almost caused Sammitch and Mocha to be joined as parents for eternity.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:31 PM
That's terrible. Not in the tasteless sorta way. It's just unfunny.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:37 PM
Do you expect more from him?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:39 PM
It's articles like these that give Star Trek fans a bad wrap. Fucking whack-jobs...

Oh, it's the articles? It's not the people who dress up in the costumes in non-con situations? Or the people who walk around, speaking Klingon to each other? Or the people who pepper what should be normal conversations with Trekisms?

How's about this person: I went to see Trek with my friends on Monday night thanks to favors that were called in. We sat and, for the most part, things in the theater were pretty durned normal - no one dressed up, no one commenting throughout the movie, no one having conniption fits about continuity issues. It was a pretty non-Trekfan crowd. Except for this one guy...

The movie ends and we're sitting through the credits because my friends want to see who played this guy and who played that girl - standard nerd stuff (I do the same with horror flicks). Behind us, this guy is talking to his son(? nephew? twink?) about all sorts of "when I was young, Trek..." stuff. It was like having Beardguy in the theater. Credits end, and we (and the other remaining groups of viewers) get up to leave when East Coast Beardguy says to all of us, "Hey, did anyone catch who played Nurse Chapel, or will she be in the sequel?" He starts snort-chuckling (yes, he was snorting and chuckling at the same time) at his witty joke while the rest of us look at each other and silently file out. I head into the men's room to take a piss when ECB comes in, lines up at the stall next to me, and starts blabbing about when he was young and Trek and how awesome that movie was and blah blah blah. In the men's room. At the stalls.

THERE'S NO TALKING IN THE MEN'S ROOM!!! THAT'S A FUCKING RULE!!! IT'S A FUCKING MAN LAW!!!

I quietly wash my hands and move towards the door when ECB asks me something about how new Trek compares with...whatever. I cut him off and, as politely as possible, say, "I'm sorry. I've never been a big fan of Trek. I'm just here with friends." To which he replies something about loving Trek and Star Wars, about being a rocker and a shit-kicking country fan, and not knowing whether to shit or go blind, about...well, I had rejoined my friends by this point and we had left the scene.

The movie wasn't awful, but it had enough flaws to keep me from calling it "great." But my enjoyment of the film was greatly tempered by this idiot's babbling and general nerdity. I realize that people like this guy are part of the reason I hate Trek as much as I do. So I asks ya, Pro, is it the articles that give Star Trek fans a bad name, or is it Star Trek fans that give Star Trek fans a bad name?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:39 PM

Yeah, I'm not proud of that one. But, you know, even Carson bombed sometimes.

Maybe: "No, a 'bad wrap' is what rex calls especially itchy wool"?

hmmmm. nah.

Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:41 PM
A "bad wrap" is the difference between Sammitch getting laid, and Sammitch having to hold some whales hair back while she pukes in his dorm bathroom?

Nah...got nuthin'.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not proud of that one. But, you know, even Carson bombed sometimes.

Maybe: "No, a 'bad wrap' is what rex calls especially itchy wool"?

hmmmm. nah.

Did you really just compare yourself to Carson?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Joe Mama

Oh, it's the articles? It's not the people who dress up in the costumes in non-con situations? Or the people who walk around, speaking Klingon to each other? Or the people who pepper what should be normal conversations with Trekisms?

How's about this person: I went to see Trek with my friends on Monday night thanks to favors that were called in. We sat and, for the most part, things in the theater were pretty durned normal - no one dressed up, no one commenting throughout the movie, no one having conniption fits about continuity issues. It was a pretty non-Trekfan crowd. Except for this one guy...

The movie ends and we're sitting through the credits because my friends want to see who played this guy and who played that girl - standard nerd stuff (I do the same with horror flicks). Behind us, this guy is talking to his son(? nephew? twink?) about all sorts of "when I was young, Trek..." stuff. It was like having Beardguy in the theater. Credits end, and we (and the other remaining groups of viewers) get up to leave when East Coast Beardguy says to all of us, "Hey, did anyone catch who played Nurse Chapel, or will she be in the sequel?" He starts snort-chuckling (yes, he was snorting and chuckling at the same time) at his witty joke while the rest of us look at each other and silently file out. I head into the men's room to take a piss when ECB comes in, lines up at the stall next to me, and starts blabbing about when he was young and Trek and how awesome that movie was and blah blah blah. In the men's room. At the stalls.

THERE'S NO TALKING IN THE MEN'S ROOM!!! THAT'S A FUCKING RULE!!! IT'S A FUCKING MAN LAW!!!

I quietly wash my hands and move towards the door when ECB asks me something about how new Trek compares with...whatever. I cut him off and, as politely as possible, say, "I'm sorry. I've never been a big fan of Trek. I'm just here with friends." To which he replies something about loving Trek and Star Wars, about being a rocker and a shit-kicking country fan, and not knowing whether to shit or go blind, about...well, I had rejoined my friends by this point and we had left the scene.

The movie wasn't awful, but it had enough flaws to keep me from calling it "great." But my enjoyment of the film was greatly tempered by this idiot's babbling and general nerdity. I realize that people like this guy are part of the reason I hate Trek as much as I do. So I asks ya, Pro, is it the articles that give Star Trek fans a bad name, or is it Star Trek fans that give Star Trek fans a bad name?

Why didn't you tell him to fuck off, and call him a cunt?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:47 PM

I hate the theater. I don't even want to go anymore.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:49 PM
But to be fair, doesn't every single genre franchise have fans like that?
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:50 PM
yup
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:51 PM
I've gotten to the point where I just tell someone to fuck off if they're bothering me. Its called verbal rape. It should be a crime.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:53 PM

Because there's NO TALKING IN THE MEN'S ROOM!!!

My part of the exchange took place as I left the men's room, and I like this theater too much to drop the c-bomb in front of the high school aged concession chick.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:53 PM
I've gotten to the point where I just tell someone to fuck off if they're bothering me.

Yeah, I can totally picture this. rex, wandering around Eugene Oregon screaming at total strangers.

It's just the latest phase in his gradual decline into full homelessness.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:57 PM

I hate the theater. I don't even want to go anymore.

This theater is generally pretty good. The vast majority of viewers behave before, during, and after the flick. Leave it to a Trek cunt to ruin the streak.

But I know what you mean. There's a great theater a few towns over - digital screen and sound, great concessions, solid programming, etc - and I refuse to go there because the scumbags of the state use the place like their living rooms and the staff is too pussy to do anything about it.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:57 PM

Thats pretty much what pisses me off with Trek fans, as I think I mentioned here once or twice before.

Yeah Star Wars fans can be huge nerds as well, but they dont relate everything in life to Star Trek.
It always pisses me off when you are talking about something serious or semi-serious, and those cunts come out with shit like "That reminds me of the time that Kirk/Picard/Spock/Janway etc......"

Theres lotsa tv & movie stuff that I love, but I dont feel the need to constantly reference them in real life.

You know the other thing that pisses me off with Trekies is they cannot understand why people dont like it, and always try to persuade you to watch this episode or this film, because it will change your mind about it.

Most people understand that their fave books/films/tv/comics are not gonna appeal to everyone, but Trekkies just dont get that.

And fer fucksake, if you have the time to learn how to speak a language, dont learn a made up useless one like Klingon, learn one that you can actually use in the real world.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 7:59 PM

Not to the same standard as Trek.
I have never come across as Star Wars, Bond, Indiana Jones etc fan, as bad as the average Trekkie!
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:01 PM

yup

I've never had these issues with horror fans. We're pretty much a self-policing lot.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:05 PM
Nowie, you live in a country that actually recognizes Jedi as an actual religion.

That, alone, is a pretty good indication that Star Wars fans can be just as bad.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:05 PM
Thats pretty much what pisses me off with Trek fans, as I think I mentioned here once or twice before.

Yeah Star Wars fans can be huge nerds as well, but they dont relate everything in life to Star Trek.
It always pisses me off when you are talking about something serious or semi-serious, and those cunts come out with shit like "That reminds me of the time that Kirk/Picard/Spock/Janway etc......"

Theres lotsa tv & movie stuff that I love, but I dont feel the need to constantly reference them in real life.

You know the other thing that pisses me off with Trekies is they cannot understand why people dont like it, and always try to persuade you to watch this episode or this film, because it will change your mind about it.

Most people understand that their fave books/films/tv/comics are not gonna appeal to everyone, but Trekkies just dont get that.

And fer fucksake, if you have the time to learn how to speak a language, dont learn a made up useless one like Klingon, learn one that you can actually use in the real world.

Exactly, and Buffy fans are almost as annoying. I don't know how many times I'm mentioned in conversation that I don't like any of the Buffy shows and some shmuck fan jumps to the defensive, grilling me on what shows I saw and telling me that I'll love Buffy if I just watch "this" episode. The difference is, Buffy fans are mostly defensive when it comes to non-fans. Trek fans are generally just smug.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:09 PM
Nowie, you live in a country that actually recognizes Jedi as an actual religion.

That, alone, is a pretty good indication that Star Wars fans can be just as bad.

Please read the history on the Jedi religion, and the fact that it isnt actually a recognised religion.

It was all part of a joke.
Trekkies dont understand jokes!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:11 PM
It started as a joke but it's obvious that at least some of the people are serious.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:12 PM
Census
Main article: Jedi census phenomenon

In 2001, around 500,000 people in the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia recorded their religion as "Jedi" on their national census, following an e-mail campaign inviting people to do so. The e-mail messages claimed that Jedi would then become an official religion, when in fact, the UK for example does not "officially recognize" religions. The Jedi community had existed for some time before the consensus, but the results were interpreted exclusively as a joke by the governments of their respective countries.

In March 2009, it was revealed that eight officers of the Strathclyde Police force in Scotland, in addition to two of its civilian staff, have their religion officially recorded in the force's records as "Jedi".[14]
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:18 PM

...wikipedia....
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:29 PM
Go read the proper news sites about this as well.
About how during the initial year, people bought into the joke and how since then the numbers have dropped steadily each year.

Like I am sure you know more about America than I do, I think my knowledge of what goes on in my country far excedes your knowledge of it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:31 PM
Wow. Someone's testy today. I guess Trekkies aren't the only ones with no sense of humor.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:34 PM
Wow. Someone's testy today. I guess Trekkies aren't the only ones with no sense of humor.

Sorry, you was joking?
I think you need to join Snarf in learning what "being funny" means!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:34 PM

Because there's NO TALKING IN THE MEN'S ROOM!!!

My part of the exchange took place as I left the men's room, and I like this theater too much to drop the c-bomb in front of the high school aged concession chick.

You sir, have a vagina.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:35 PM
I've gotten to the point where I just tell someone to fuck off if they're bothering me. Its called verbal rape. It should be a crime.

Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:38 PM

You sir, have a vagina.

I PEE STANDING UP!!!

I suppose it would've been cathartic to do my best Nowhereman impression and tell ECB "Fuck off, you cunt!" But we both know it wouldn't have had the desired effect. That guy just would've gone about his Trekkie business, rambling to whomever he could corner and ignoring the obvious signs that no one wants to talk to him. Meanwhile, I've offended someone whose only crime was being at the wrong place at the wrong time. There's no satisfaction to be had there.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:41 PM

Totally!

See, there are two different kind of Star Trek fans. The casual kind that enjoy it, can talk it, and treat it like entertainment or a hobby. The other kind is the kind that Joe met in the bathroom, Grimm met in an elevator, or the ones that Cunty beats up and takes their lunch money. Every franchise and fandom have their extremists. Some are more vocal than others, naturally. And with something like Trek that's been around for almost half-a-century, you're going to have a thick foundation of whackos out there tainting the pot for everyone. It's become a pseudo-religion, much like Jedi and all that, and thus there is a thread of fandom that feels the need to evangelize the Word of Rodenberry. Sadly enough, these are the same fans that don't realize Rodenberry was a tv writer cashing checks and laughing all the way to the bank concerning the supposed "idealogy" of the franchise.

As for his breaking of Bathroom Code Rule 1a, I can only surmise he was either trying to hit on you in some slash-fiction, down-on-the-planet bondage kind of way, or you were five minutes from having your kidney sliced out in a stall.

Sorry the jackass ruined the movie for you. I thought it was a killer action flick with some great special effects, good chemistry, and some nice comedy moments. The plot had holes you could drive a truck through, and Bana was paper-thin. Other than that, I dug it the most...
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 8:53 PM

Sorry the jackass ruined the movie for you. I thought it was a killer action flick with some great special effects, good chemistry, and some nice comedy moments. The plot had holes you could drive a truck through, and Bana was paper-thin. Other than that, I dug it the most...

It wasn't ruined by the ECB. Before he opened his mouth, I saw it as a noble, but flawed, effort. Far better than #5 but maybe not as good as #2 (they actually plagiarized the fucking parasite angle!). But Trek fans can't be crying about the popular view of them while simultaneously confirming the popular view through their words and actions.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 9:08 PM
I realize that people like this guy are part of the reason I hate Trek as much as I do. So I asks ya, Pro, is it the articles that give Star Trek fans a bad name, or is it Star Trek fans that give Star Trek fans a bad name?

I'll move it past just film/TV/book genres. I can't tell you how many times I've had some old bastard tell me how different the game of baseball/football/basketball/hittin' rex's mom's cooter was different in their day. Or how great such and such batter/pitcher/center/quarterback/rex's mom's cooter was better back then than what's out there now. Some people need to latch onto things to keep from having to deal with reality and take that shit way too far and make life miserable for everyone else they come in contact with. "Hey, guy, I know that you think it brings the team luck to wear the same fucking clothes at every game without washing them... but we're close to the end of the season, and my eyes are watering and vomit is building up in the back of my throat."
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 9:29 PM

You sir, have a vagina.

I PEE STANDING UP!!!

That must get messy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 10:02 PM
I realize that people like this guy are part of the reason I hate Trek as much as I do. So I asks ya, Pro, is it the articles that give Star Trek fans a bad name, or is it Star Trek fans that give Star Trek fans a bad name?

I'll move it past just film/TV/book genres. I can't tell you how many times I've had some old bastard tell me how different the game of baseball/football/basketball/hittin' rex's mom's cooter was different in their day. Or how great such and such batter/pitcher/center/quarterback/rex's mom's cooter was better back then than what's out there now. Some people need to latch onto things to keep from having to deal with reality and take that shit way too far and make life miserable for everyone else they come in contact with. "Hey, guy, I know that you think it brings the team luck to wear the same fucking clothes at every game without washing them... but we're close to the end of the season, and my eyes are watering and vomit is building up in the back of my throat."

And, of course it also applies to music. See, for example, every single fucking Deadhead on earth.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 10:15 PM

And, of course it also applies to music. See, for example, every single fucking Deadhead on earth.

At least Deadheads smell so bad that you can easily avoid them.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-14 10:20 PM
And Trekkies and Jedis don't?
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-15 2:36 AM
I'd like a good Klingon costume for halloween. Otherwise I wouldn't dress up like a Star Trek character and go out in public.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-15 2:43 AM
And Trekkies and Jedis don't?

Touche.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-15 2:51 PM
I don't smell.....*sniff*.......too bad.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-17 10:42 AM
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-17 10:49 AM

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-17 1:35 PM

There wasnt enough blood.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-17 6:49 PM
<object id="ce_90029658" width="400" height="300" data="http://current.com/e/90029658/en_US"><param name="movie" value="http://current.com/e/90029658/en_US"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://current.com/e/90029658/en_US" width="400" height="300" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>

It would be nice if we could hear Trek nerds weeping and killing themselves.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 12:12 AM
I'm still wondering if they are going in a new direction or are we gonna get romulans and Klingons as villains...maybe Andorians? Why not the Gorn? the Gorn could be sweet with CGI....

My vote is for Gorns and Andorians for a sequal..maybe a Klingon hint....
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 2:03 AM
I saw this movie and loved it. I think the changes made were enough to consider this a reboot or maybe not affect Trek continuity at all.

I look forward to the next Trek movie and just pray don't fuck it up with a lousy script just cause their in a hurry to get a sequel out.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 2:27 AM
and for gobs sake, i hope they dont skimp on the blood budget.....
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 3:00 AM

I agree.

Enough with the decades of teasing lets see the Federation vs Klingon war.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 3:38 AM
BRING ON THE CLONES!
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-18 8:00 AM

I agree.

They had a Klingon war during DS9. I think it lasted a year or so.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 4:53 AM

I agree.

I'm down with something like this. They were already in a "Cold War" with the Klingons back in Kirk's day. With the new continuity, anything could happen.

Rumors from Abrams himself have hinted that they are considering taking a stab at Kirk and Khan's first battle. I bet Sayid from LOST would make a good Khan, though...
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 10:34 AM
For half a second I thought you were talking about Sayid from Happy Days.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:02 PM
Dude, no! He went into porn...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:11 PM

Rumors from Abrams himself have hinted that they are considering taking a stab at Kirk and Khan's first battle. I bet Sayid from LOST would make a good Khan, though...

Fuck no. That story's been told once already and quite well. That smacks too much of "remake" at this point.

Personally, I've never been able to figure out why the producers of Trek over the past twenty or so years haven't used the Gorn race as a "big bad."

With the exception of a mirror universe cameo on 'Enterprise,' the only time they were ever shown was on a single episode of TOS so you don't have the overuse factor of Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, etc. What you do have, however, is a race of near invunerable, seven foot tall, predatory, talking lizard people. Those guys could, if written well, eat the Klingons for lunch.

Furthermore, with forty years of advancment in SFX there's no reason you couldn't make them highly realistic looking (and better than the Enterprise version).

Kahn's been done. It's like all the Superman movies that had to keep giving us Luthor over and over. Time to move on.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:29 PM
Personally, I've never been able to figure out why the producers of Trek over the past twenty or so years haven't used the Gorn race as a "big bad."

With the exception of a mirror universe cameo on 'Enterprise,' the only time they were ever shown was on a single episode of TOS so you don't have the overuse factor of Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, etc. What you do have, however, is a race of near invunerable, seven foot tall, predatory, talking lizard people. Those guys could, if written well, eat the Klingons for lunch.

If you believe the stories, Harlan Ellison pitched a story that could've used them quite nicely back when they were making the first Trek flick.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:33 PM
Is that the time travel one that they pretty much ripped off for the last episodes of TNG?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:35 PM
Is that the time travel one that they pretty much ripped off for the last episodes of TNG?

Pretty much. Only with big anthropomorphic lizards.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 6:36 PM
Would have been much better than the "Hey, look! There's a satellite in space" movie they made.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 7:01 PM

I never heard that story. Is Ellison's lawsuit still pending or did the TNG producers settle?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 7:01 PM
Yeah. The first Trek flick is three hours of boredom and bald chick. Fuck Trek.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 7:02 PM
Would have been much better than the "Hey, look! There's a satellite in space" movie they made.

Which itself was basically just a big budget remake of the "Nomad" episode of TOS.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 7:29 PM

I never heard that story. Is Ellison's lawsuit still pending or did the TNG producers settle?

I know that he's suing again for 'City on the Edge of Forever'.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 7:35 PM

I dunno if Ellison sued TNG - probably did. My initial point was that, back when they were trying to put together a story for the first Trek flick, Ellison pitched a story that could've used the Gorn as the antagonists. The details of it are recounted in Stephen King's Danse Macabre. But, assuming you're too lazy or apathetic to track that gem of a book down, here's a link with the basic story:

http://www.mania.com/remaking-star-trek-part-5-into-black-hole_article_27017.html

PS: Fuck Trek.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 8:43 PM

I know that he's suing again for 'City on the Edge of Forever'.

Presactly. Ellison is possibly the most litigious author in Hollywood. If TNG ripped him off I would expect that he's either sued or is going to.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 8:48 PM
.... back when they were trying to put together a story for the first Trek flick, Ellison pitched a story ....The details of it are recounted in Stephen King's Danse Macabre. But, assuming you're too lazy or apathetic to track that gem of a book down, here's a link with the basic story:

http://www.mania.com/remaking-star-trek-part-5-into-black-hole_article_27017.html

From the link:
  • 'It involved going to the end of the known universe to slip back through time to the Pleistocene period when man first emerged,' he said. 'I postulated an alien intelligence from a far galaxy where the snakes had become the dominant life form, and a snake-creature who had come to Earth in the STAR TREK future, had seen its ancestors wiped out, and who had gone back into the far past of Earth to set up distortions in the time-flow so the reptiles could beat the humans. The Enterprise goes back to set time right, finds the snake-alien, and the human crew is confronted with the moral dilemma of whether it had the right to wipe out an entire life form just to insure its own territorial imperative in our present and future. The story, in short, spanned all of time and all of space, with a moral and ethical problem.'

A member of an alien race sees his people wiped out and starts to change the past to prevent that....isn't that a very basic description of the current movie?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ellison's suing this movie too.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 9:14 PM
Ellison's only sued when he's had some slight form of proof at least. He's at least had his name on a story or script to use as evidence in his previous cases. An idea at a pitch meeting isn't very stable grounds for a lawsuit.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 9:52 PM
Ellison's only sued when he's had some slight form of proof at least. He's at least had his name on a story or script to use as evidence in his previous cases. An idea at a pitch meeting isn't very stable grounds for a lawsuit.

I'm not saying the case is strong. However, I could see Ellison arguing that he "published" his idea by allowing a synopsis of it to be included in King's book where it could be seen by, among others, Abrams and the writers of the current film.

As mentioned before, he's a pretty litigious guy.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 9:53 PM
Toublecain.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 9:54 PM
As I mentioned before:

Ellis had no script or published story to use other than a hearsay account. He's a litigious guy, but he's a smart litigious guy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-19 10:11 PM
Yeah, but the hearsay account is arguably a "published story." From what I read at Joe's link, years ago, Ellison described a story he wanted to write for a Trek film in King's book. Therefore, even if the meeting in the 1970s never occurred, Ellison arguably has a published synopsis of his proposed story in Danse Macabre which he could claim served as the basis of the Abrams plot.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-21 8:12 PM
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-21 8:22 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-21 10:34 PM
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 6:12 AM
Just saw it. Good, popcorn action sci-fi movie. Worth a watch, but I don't see myself watching it again unless it just happened to be on TV. Urban was McCoy, though.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 6:43 AM
Totally. What did you think of Pine's Shatnerisms? \:lol\:
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 6:51 AM
I think he copied Shatner's actual ego very well. Pegg was also great as Scotty. Quinto (?) was a decent Spock. Bana still sucks balls. Everyone else was good. I actually think the Star Trek and going back to the original crew made the movie campier than it should have been. I also loved that there was some Beastie Boys instead of the usual pretentious Trekisms.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 3:51 PM
Also, did you notice the Kal Penn cameo?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:07 PM

What? No! Where was he?! \:lol\:

I think he copied Shatner's actual ego very well.

Totally! Especially the Kobiyashi Maru test. Ha!

Quote:
Pegg was also great as Scotty.

Yeah, when he said that line "I don't want to take sides..." during the Spock/Kirk argument...and that smile...he was literally James Doohan at that moment. It was awesome.

Quote:
Quinto (?) was a decent Spock.

The only two things that Quinto is missing to be the perfect Spock is the "genetic dignity" that Leonard Nimoy naturally exudes, and his smoking-voice. Quinto doesn't sound "black enough" to really be Spock.

Quote:
Bana still sucks balls. Everyone else was good.

Yes.

Quote:
I actually think the Star Trek and going back to the original crew made the movie campier than it should have been.

You lost me. What parts were "campy", besides the overt humor?

Quote:
I also loved that there was some Beastie Boys instead of the usual pretentious Trekisms.

Yes! I never thought I would be able to say the phrase, "Man, I loved that Beastie Boys song in the new Star Trek movie!" \:lol\: It was a nice, needed change of pace for the franchise.

Hopefully, it's only uphill from here...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:27 PM

What? No! Where was he?! \:lol\:

He was a blue shirt when, I believe, Nero contacted the Enterprise and the scene went from shot to shot of crew reactions.

Quote:
I actually think the Star Trek and going back to the original crew made the movie campier than it should have been.

You lost me. What parts were "campy", besides the overt humor?

The whole weakness to the movie, for me, was them assembling much younger versions of the original crew, putting them all in their final roles on the show, and giving them all something to do. In a movie full of plot holes, those were the most obvious. The only ones that really worked were Spock and McCoy. Everyone else, especially Kirk, was a real stretch. And this movie did exactly what I didn't want it to do. They pushed Kirk directly into the captain's chair just because he was captain in the original show. Had this been just a continuation of Trek without going back to the originals, I think it would have been a lot better because it wouldn't have had to do all the weak plot devices to copy the original 'formula'. But Paramount and Abrams wanted to give us Dawson's Trek instead.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:34 PM
Hmmm....I can't necessarily disagree on the evolved push in their timelines. However, it should be noted that (and I only picked this up from listening to hardcore Trekkies debate the finer minutia of the movie) Kirk was actually older when he entered Starfleet here than in the original timeline. The counter, though, was that he skipped past some of the middle, and hit Captain. But, he only makes Captain in this movie just three years before he did originally. He was always the youngest Captain in Starfleet history, so I guess that...coupled with my own enjoyment of nostalgia...allowed me to just accept it and move on to the sequel.

Overall, while I agree with some of your complaints about it, I never once felt it was "Dawson's Trek". That would insinuate there's tweeny melodrama between everyone. I found it to be a surprisingly mature movie, in terms of emotional dealings. It wasn't about relationships and jobs and mundane, pedantic crap like that. It was life and death, family, and about young adults thrown into a grow-up-or-die situation.

But, that's just what I took from it. Hopefully, the sequel will steer clear of a lot of these issues you found...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:40 PM
I still haven't seen it, so I can't say who's right above. However, I have to admit I think they could have easily just done a "reboot" with actors in their thirties and skipped the whole "rip in the fabric of time/younger Kirk" set up.

I realize that some of the Trekkies would have whined, but if they can reboot, for example, Batman and Bond without having to "explain" why there's a different cast I think the same could have been accomplished with Trek.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:49 PM
I'd have been okay with a reboot as well, though I'd prefer a continuation of their continuity. It's the forcing of everybody into the roles because they're all twenty-somethings that was terribly overpowering. I could overlook the other plot holes in the movie, but those were just badly done.

It also surprises me that Enterprise, a TV show thats been off the air for several years, did a better job with the Orion women than a huge, current, blockbuster movie did. Seriously, that chick looked like the Jolly Green Giant raped Strawberry Shortcake.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:53 PM
Hmmm....I can't necessarily disagree on the evolved push in their timelines. However, it should be noted that (and I only picked this up from listening to hardcore Trekkies debate the finer minutia of the movie) Kirk was actually older when he entered Starfleet here than in the original timeline. The counter, though, was that he skipped past some of the middle, and hit Captain. But, he only makes Captain in this movie just three years before he did originally. He was always the youngest Captain in Starfleet history, so I guess that...coupled with my own enjoyment of nostalgia...allowed me to just accept it and move on to the sequel.

Nerdtalk it all you want. Cadet straight to Captain, the second highest rank in the service, is just gay.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-22 4:58 PM
I was going to try and see it this weekend but Mrs G is working diligently to thwart that, making a new plan for another part of the weekend every time I turn around.

In any event, I have a feeling that the next one will be better either way, since (like BB and TDK) we won't have to jerk around with retelling the origin yet again and can just get to a kickass story
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 12:15 AM
I also want to point out that it was fun to see the franchise that has kept spouting the BS about man having evolved past his greed and created some sort of socialist utopia for the past 4 decades was full of product placements. \:lol\:
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 1:34 AM
It also surprises me that Enterprise, a TV show thats been off the air for several years, did a better job with the Orion women than a huge, current, blockbuster movie did. Seriously, that chick looked like the Jolly Green Giant raped Strawberry Shortcake.

diora baird? maybe it was just the makeup, then, because she's pretty attractive otherwise.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:06 AM
Rachel Nichols was the Orion woman. And, she was hot, so I don't know what the problem is...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:09 AM

Baird

Nichols
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:10 AM

Nerdtalk it all you want. Cadet straight to Captain, the second highest rank in the service, is just gay.

It's James T. Kirk. Whatcha' gonna do? \:lol\:
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:21 AM

Baird

Nichols

I aint sure which is from which, but the first one looks good, the second one looks like the budget ran out just as they were creating her costume and makeup!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:26 AM
Yeah, I noticed the paint was thin in the movie, too. I don't know if they were trying to make it look like varying shades of skin pigmentation (because, let's face it, your body isn't one exact color), or what. Still doesn't put me off that sweet ass...
Posted By: Nosexman Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 3:28 AM
Green women ruin the believability for me.
Yuck!
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 5:36 AM
The second one is unbelievable hot. She's also in the GI Joe movie.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-23 5:43 AM
The second one is unbelievable hot. She's also in the GI Joe movie.

Yes.

Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-29 1:34 AM
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-05-29 2:04 AM

Baird

Nichols

I aint sure which is from which, but the first one looks good, the second one looks like the budget ran out just as they were creating her costume and makeup!

My point exactly. The first one is the the TV show. The second is the big budget movie. The chick is still hot, despite that.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:17 AM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:45 AM
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:50 AM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:51 AM
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:53 AM

\:lol\: x (infinity)
Posted By: TP-069 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 4:56 AM
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 5:12 AM
Those two both look better (in every way possible) than the one in the obscene-budget movie that came out this year.

Fuck Trek.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:22 AM
Fuck you Joe Mama! You wouldn't even HAVE those hottttt green wimmens if it wasn't for Trekus-Maximus! Nerdfest '09, Get Some!
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:38 AM
I'd still have those wimmens. They just wouldn't be green, thus pandering directly to the cretins and CHUDs that make up Trek fandom. Wimmens don't need green paint for to be sexay. Most men can enjoy a pair of sexay wimmens without the paint. It's the Trek mutants who need green food coloring on wimmens to get where they need to go.

Fuck Trek * 2. L. Ron Hubbard shits in Gene Roddenberry's mouth while Philip K. Dick brutally sodomizes him.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:38 AM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:46 AM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:47 AM

JJJJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:48 AM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:49 AM
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:30 PM

\:lol\: x (infinity)

I concur!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-02 6:32 PM
I'd still have those wimmens. They just wouldn't be green, thus pandering directly to the cretins and CHUDs that make up Trek fandom. Wimmens don't need green paint for to be sexay. Most men can enjoy a pair of sexay wimmens without the paint. It's the Trek mutants who need green food coloring on wimmens to get where they need to go.

you asshat! haven't you seen diora baird out of the green paint?
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-03 5:26 AM
Sammitch is a christian..................
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-11 8:57 PM
Star Trek fans are a bunch of Spocksuckers!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-06-15 1:41 AM
That's random!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 12:30 AM
I was subjected to this movie yesterday and it was good.

That is all.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 1:55 AM
Congrats on having superior taste, Mxy.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 2:48 AM
How do you know what he tastes like?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 4:15 AM
Because he, like Trek, is gay. DUH!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 4:17 AM
Star Trek should have just been Dr. McCoy walking around with a bottle of Jack Daniels, telling everyone to kiss his ass, and banging his hot nurses.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 4:23 AM
Admittedly, if McCoy had been the hero of that flick, Nero's reign of terror would've ended a lot sooner. McCoy drunk-drives over to Nero's ship, kicks down the door to his chamber, lays him out with a single headbutt, tosses his arse (and any dissenting crew member's arse) off the ship, and then fucks all the female crew members before heading back to Earth with Nero's ship AND the Enterprise. The credits run under the scene of him getting a li'l Uhura stank on his hang-low, doggie-style (whydaya think he's called "Bones???")!

Another reason Trek is gay: how is Bones NOT the hero of that series???
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 4:41 AM

Exactly. Fuck Kirk. Fuck Spock. Fuck Picard and his bitchy crew. Star Trek needed only one character. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy. Just for scriptwriting formula sake, make Scotty his sidekick. Shit happens, they go get fucked up drunk, Scotty makes the Enterprise blow up suns while McCoy has cured the universe's most deadly virus. The show ends with Scotty humping Uhura over her console and Yeoman Rand straddling McCoy on the Captain's chair. Every week.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 5:07 AM

Exactly. Fuck Kirk. Fuck Spock. Fuck Picard and his bitchy crew. Star Trek needed only one character. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy. Just for scriptwriting formula sake, make Scotty his sidekick. Shit happens, they go get fucked up drunk, Scotty makes the Enterprise blow up suns while McCoy has cured the universe's most deadly virus. The show ends with Scotty humping Uhura over her console and Yeoman Rand straddling McCoy on the Captain's chair. Every week.

Y'know what? Fuck the whole concept of Trek. Just make a series about McCoy and Scotty drunkenly road-tripping through space. They steal a Federation-class ship with bare bones, all-female crew and blast through space, ripping shit up and raising hell.

If we MUST have some of the members of the old show on, Harry Mudd can sell them a bad batch of Space Cialis that causes them to hallucinate even as their libidos go unchecked. Key line from that episode:

Quote:
Harry Mudd: You raped my Tribbles! You raped ALL my Tribbles!!!

Y'want Khan? I'll give you Khan! Khan - a superhuman space pimp - steals aboard the ship, trying to turn out the entire crew and recreate his race while turning mad profit. McCoy and Scotty get wise to what's going on, beat Khan's arse, toss him in a locker, and launch it (and the Genesis Device they won in a poker game) at some planet. Key exchange:

Quote:
Random crew member lady: Was it such a good idea, sending Khan to that planet with an unknown technology and a grudge toward you both?

McCoy & Scotty (drunk as hell): What could go wrong???

Do the whole series like that. It's a mix of Trek, Hunter S. Thompson, and every great buddy/road trip flick ever! Have Scotty fuck a fat, black chick and hang her panties on his teleporter control panel. Maybe McCoy decides not to nail one of those green broads cuz "she's not ripe yet," but fucks her anyway by the end of the episode. Scotty could wake up after a night of blackout drinking next to one of those lizard creatures and have to explain to McCoy why his cock's all scaly (Lizard People VD). The possibilities are endless!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 5:31 AM
To Paramount Studios!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 5:32 AM
'Our continuing mission - to fuck what has never been fucked before.'
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 5:41 AM
"Listen, Paramount Executive, Gene's dead. Neither he nor his goofy wife are walking through that door. Voyager wasn't a success, and Enterprise flat-out failed. We're not looking to revamp what you and JJ Abrams have already revamped in the movies. Far from it! Think of this as a...RE IMAGINING of the Trek franchise [studio execs LOVE the word "re imagining!"]. We're re imagining Trek as something more fun...something more in keeping with our target audience. More adventure and less...well, less gay, if we're honest. Not that we don't want the advertising dollars that the homos bring. We just think the past series and the movies have the gay covered, y'dig?

Let's do some muh-fuh'kin' BIDNIZ!!!"
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-23 6:52 AM
\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

I am 100% behind this endeavor!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-07-28 11:55 PM
I admit that the Trek movie re-imagining was a lot better than what it almost was.

Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 9:07 PM
Saw it last night. Good movie.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 9:09 PM
Simon Pegg was the best part of the movie.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 9:41 PM
Trek is gay.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 9:45 PM
Saw it last night. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that one of the character's name was actually Mr. Spock.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 9:48 PM
Saw it last night. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that one of the character's name was actually Mr. Spock.

That took a moment, but \:lol\: !!!
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:03 PM
That's funny.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:03 PM
I bet you've waited a long time to use that one.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:05 PM
Only as long as it takes to click the 'Submit' button.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:05 PM
Ilog-argyll!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:08 PM
Gesundheit.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 10:10 PM
Your Welcome.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-08-12 11:10 PM
Your Welcome.

That's not my Welcome. I wrote my name in black magic marker on the back of mine. Must be someone else's Welcome.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-09-25 5:14 AM
The sequel is due in 2011..it might be about resurrecting the original Kirk. I hope not, this reboot is should be about the new people, not the horrible actor who does crappy commercials.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-09-25 8:12 AM
He'll be 80 in 2011.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-09-25 8:31 AM
If he's lucky.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 3:24 AM
BASAMS The Plumber annoyed Moderator Just when they think they know all the answers, I change the questions.
15000+ posts 4 minutes 8 seconds ago Reading a post

Good movie?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 3:24 AM
Man this was a really really good movie. I think I could watch it a few time. I really wanted to dislike the new Kirk, Spock and Bones but I think they did a very good job. the supporting guys were great.

I hope super-hero flick writers take note of how they weaved Kirk's origin into the story without getting bogged down in a origin movie swamp. it was pure genius from a marketing standpoint to put the lovey dovey birth of the kid/death of the father emotional bit at the beginning, it hooked my wife so she went from dreading the movie to getting into it right away. they quickly shifted to the car chase so it got awesome fast.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 3:26 AM
Man this was a really really good movie. I think I could watch it a few time. I really wanted to dislike the new Kirk, Spock and Bones but I think they did a very good job. the supporting guys were great.

I hope super-hero flick writers take note of how they weaved Kirk's origin into the story without getting bogged down in a origin movie swamp. it was pure genius from a marketing standpoint to put the lovey dovey birth of the kid/death of the father emotional bit at the beginning, it hooked my wife so she went from dreading the movie to getting into it right away. they quickly shifted to the car chase so it got awesome fast.

My wife and I watched it last night. I agree (and my wife agrees) with everything written above.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 10:37 AM
This movie kicks ass. That is all.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 11:14 AM
This movie kicks ass. That is all.

Yeah, if yer ghey!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 11:21 AM
You've become pariah for this movie Joe. The more you hate it the more people know its awesomeness.

ps. WHO IS THE MASTER???
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 11:46 AM
You've become pariah for this movie Joe. The more you hate it the more people know its awesomeness.

ps. WHO IS THE MASTER???

You can't sing the praises of Ghey Trek and expect to keep your Last Dragon cred. Your cred, much like the South African Prime Minister's Dee-ploh-matic Ee-munity, has just been revoked.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-29 7:30 PM
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 1:14 AM

i just saw the film this weekend and loved it! i was never a big fan of the original show/movies, but i havta agree, it was a fun flick. not only was the origin story great, but it was told if the perfect manner -- staying true to long-time nerd fans, but allowing for changes and updates. the whole "back to the futureish altered timeline" bit was very well done.

i do wish they threw a 3-second shatner clip into the spock/new-kirk mindmeld thing, but... we've still got priceline negotiator.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 1:41 AM
the time travel created an alternate past bone was good i think for supernerds as their continuity isnt invalidated so they can have a mental win there.
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 1:51 AM
I'm watching it tonight. Saw Wolverine last night loved it also the Wrestler and Flash of Genius....all real good.

Basams,

was the Wrestler spot on? seemed to get everything right.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 2:04 AM
It was spot on for a slice of pro wrestling. I have seen similar things in the indy circuit like went on in the movie. guys definitely push themselves farther than they should. i have never seen guys deal steroids openly like they did in this flick but i assume it happens. there are guys like the main character that roll through who were once selling out Madison Square Garden. its sad when they are still wrestling because they have to, its nice when they are still wrestling because they want to.
Posted By: PJP Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 6:18 AM
Just finished Star Trek......loved it. I am a pretty big Trekkie and this movie did not upset the balance of my Trek Universe. I thought it was unbelievable. Pine was great.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 6:21 AM
"James T. Kirk was a great man....but that was another life!"
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 6:25 AM
Has anyone gotten the Blu-ray yet? I hear its the best one yet for bonus features.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 6:46 AM
i just saw the film this weekend and loved it! i was never a big fan of the original show/movies, but i havta agree, it was a fun flick. not only was the origin story great, but it was told if the perfect manner -- staying true to long-time nerd fans, but allowing for changes and updates. the whole "back to the futureish altered timeline" bit was very well done.

i do wish they threw a 3-second shatner clip into the spock/new-kirk mindmeld thing, but... we've still got priceline negotiator.

Surprise surprise. Rob liked it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 7:17 AM
Just finished Star Trek......loved it. I am a pretty big Trekkie and this movie did not upset the balance of my Trek Universe. I thought it was unbelievable. Pine was great.

Yeah, Pine at first underwhelmed me, but when he did the scene in the training simulator he really came into his own as Kirk. You saw a hint of the cocky guy we all expect Jim to be.
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 7:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

Surprise surprise. Rob liked it.

i was also surprised. great post, pariah!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 8:03 AM
I was surprised Pariah was surprised Rob liked it.
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 8:08 AM
oh, wait, no. i must retract the compliment, it was not a double surprise. just a regular surprise.

pariah, your post is returned back to the shit pile of worthlessness from whence it came. we await your further scoopings to sully the forum with uninteresting tidings.
Posted By: Rob Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 8:09 AM
though mxy's surprise does put it into a whole new perspective...
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 9:03 AM
Rob. The Mcmahon avatar:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-11-30 9:49 PM
Has anyone gotten the Blu-ray yet? I hear its the best one yet for bonus features.

I did! The Special Features are pretty abundant, and the whole disc setup is gorgeous. Worth it all for the Blooper Reel... \:lol\:
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-03 4:00 AM
I rented the (one bluray disk) version. Holy fuck does it look good. Easily the best picture quality I've seen. I'll watch it with commentary later.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-08 5:58 AM
The AFLAC Duck User 200+ posts 12/07/09 09:57 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Star Trek Reviews
Posted By: The AFLAC Duck Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-08 5:58 AM
BASAMS The Plumber annoyed Moderator Just when they think they know all the answers, I change the questions.
15000+ posts 4 minutes 8 seconds ago Reading a post

Good movie?

AFLAC!
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-08 6:00 AM
The AFLAC Duck User 300+ posts 12/07/09 09:59 PM Reading a post

I got this fuckbitch again!
Posted By: The AFLAC Duck Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-08 6:04 AM
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
The AFLAC Duck User 200+ posts 12/07/09 09:57 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Star Trek Reviews

AFLAC!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-08 2:48 PM

Posted By: The AFLAC Duck Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-13 7:53 PM

AFLAC!
Posted By: Tony Clifton Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2009-12-14 1:59 AM
You look like a talent scout for a cemetery.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek Reviews - 2010-07-20 9:53 PM
http://www.mania.com/star-trek-sequel-shoot-set_article_124144.html
 Quote:
With Paramount having targeted the date of June 29, 2012 for the premiere of their Star Trek sequel, it went without question that director J.J. Abrams was planning to begin production shortly. But we now have that shoot window down to the month thanks to Captain Pike. When asked the question by Hollywood.com, co-star Bruce Greenwood revealed that production is slated to begin in January 2011.

It also seems that Bruce returning isn't a sure deal yet as he stated his hopes to have a role in the next space adventure. The rest of the Enterprise crew are already locked in. That includes Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, John Cho, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin and Zoe Saldana. Abrams will be directing from a script by returning writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 3:16 AM
Chris Pine looks about as "deep" as William Shatner. I expect nothing impressive...

Wrong.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 3:29 AM
THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!!
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 3:30 AM
I hope they have wookies in the new one.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:07 AM
Because they look like socks to you.
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:32 AM
Didn't you use that joke earlier today? I expect more out of you.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:43 AM
hypocrisy = rex complaining about someone overusing a joke
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:44 AM
your mom is hypocrisy = rex complaining about someone overusing a joke
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:49 AM
yes
Posted By: rex Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 5:49 AM
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Star Trek XI - 2010-07-21 9:28 PM
© RKMBs