RKMBs
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 11:35 AM
I'm watching this on Netflix. It's one of those I hear is so bad that it's good.

So far, that is true.

I wonder if the little girl went blind when she saw her haircut?
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 1:08 PM
That's true of all Stephen King films.

In every single one, the director feels it prudent to take the dialogue--King's absolute worst writing quality--straight out of the book, and apply it to the script verbatim.

Who in their right fucking mind does such a thing? King isn't nearly as clever in his composition as he thinks he is, and yet the people who make films based on his books seem to take his word for it that he's such a genius without actually reading the material--which is absolutely bewildering!

It's the same formula every time: a series of closely knit characters with their own esoteric network of slang and short-hand dialogue encounter a paranormal entity/event that harks back to their past(s). Throw in the young and/or introvert prodigy, the obligatory religious zealot, and the self-appointed bearer of sagely advice and you have a full blown King story.

How could someone miss that shit!?

All of this being said: Langoliers was the least shitty King film I've seen. It still had the stilted dialogue with all the other King tropes. But somehow it just didn't take itself as seriously as the other films, which made it one of the better B (C?) movies to sit through.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 3:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
It's the same formula every time: a series of closely knit characters with their own esoteric network of slang and short-hand dialogue encounter a paranormal entity/event that harks back to their past(s). Throw in the young and/or introvert prodigy, the obligatory religious zealot, and the self-appointed bearer of sagely advice and you have a full blown King story.

Holy shit! You're right! You just described Needful Things, The Shining, Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Wait....
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 4:21 PM
Christine was good too, but I think that had a lot to do with John Carpenter.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 4:43 PM
You can't paint a turd.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 4:47 PM
That's what Darnell said.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 8:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

Holy shit! You're right! You just described Needful Things, The Shining, Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Wait....

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Stephen King = World famous legendary writer whose work will be remembered for all time.

Pariah = No one.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 8:31 PM
BTW, you hear they're remaking CARRIE with Chloe whatishername from KICK-ASS and Julianne Moore as her nutty mother...
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 8:40 PM
That would be like 3 versions of "Carrie". Spacek, Made for tv, than this new one.

Also I think there was at least one shitty sequel to the original.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 10:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
That would be like 3 versions of "Carrie". Spacek, Made for tv, than this new one.

Rage, I think. Gotta love the thinking behind that. 'Hey, let's make a sequel to a 25 year old movie that most of our target audience will have never heard of.'
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 10:21 PM

Rage, I think. Gotta love the thinking behind that. 'Hey, let's make a sequel to a 25 year old movie that most of our target audience will have never heard of.'

Tron:Legacy?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 10:24 PM
Tron: Legacy at least has cutting edge FX and the Disney powerhouse behind it. And I think a lot of the idea behind that was to play on nostalgia of our generation to get us in the door.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 10:27 PM
Holy shit! You're right! You just described Needful Things, The Shining,

I can't remember the specifics of Needful Things or how it was translated to film. But The Shining follows the formula presactly albeit with fewer characters.

Quote:
Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Granted. Those are exceptions.

I gotta wonder though how much the writing in those films departed from the books.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 10:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Stephen King = World famous legendary writer whose work will be remembered for all time.

Pariah = No one.

Elitism? From Pro???

Nah!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 11:51 PM
Hey man, Pro is just going through a tough time. Let's try and help the guy out.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 11:53 PM
BTW yes, sometimes I even shock myself with how big an obnoxious asshole I am.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-24 11:54 PM
Google Ad-Block. It's awesome. Then go read a book. \:lol\:
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 12:03 AM

It's still there. Unlike your hair, and the common sense god gave you.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 12:34 AM
books are overrated!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 12:35 AM
less words, more pictures of tits!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 12:37 AM
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 1:56 AM

Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 2:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

\:lol\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 3:55 AM

DEERRRRRRR!!!!!!

Poor Jake.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Langoliers - 2012-04-25 8:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

\:lol\:

Whoa, that picture just loaded from the upside down. That's never happened to me before.
© RKMBs