RKMBs
for quite some time now, i've wanted and waited to update this ole gal. you can even see some false hope for evidence, here: http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1166066#Post1166066

unfortunately, the software we use here, and what was used on the original DCMBs terrifyingly 15 years ago, is non updateable. new stuff just doesn't come out any more, and out dear friend is cranky and breaking.

so... i think im finally ready to swap platforms, and move on to something else. something that has been updated since facebook came out. and... actually can connect to fscebook. or be easily accessed by iphones. or... y'know. work.

current front runner is vbulletin, a company i haven't really liked in the past, but their new version seems pretty compatible to what we have here -- which is the goal, btw; to have everything transfer over and seem/look/feel pretty much the same, just with some wanted/needed improvements.

and... there you go.
yeah?
Could be.
I hope the new forum will come with its own posters, because there's not a lot of us nowadays.
I'm with you rob. Let's take hands and jump into the unknown.
That's why we need to campaign for more! Like I've been saying all along....To myself.
And if you've been ignoring what you're saying, I think you can reason how the rest of us react to your posts.
Seriously, though. Take my wife.... Please!
Yeah, it's time to update the old bitch. Especially if we get PM's back and those little music players under our avatars that you've been promising for almost a decade again.
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I hope the new forum will come with its own posters, because there's not a lot of us nowadays.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
And if you've been ignoring what you're saying, I think you can reason how the rest of us react to your posts.

You know what? At least I fucking cared enough to consider it!

I was working over time at the DCMBs posting Martin's prolific monologue of pathetic misery trying to get people interested in the drama. But I'm only one man for Gob's sake!

Where were you, huh!? WHERE WERE YOU, YOU BASTARD!!??
Well, I don't know what the newest version of vBulletin is like. But, from what I remember of using it at the old Newsarama, it isn't a terrible platform. I say go for it. BTW, will there be a Who's Online page? Pwease!?!
So, how do we get new people in here? I'd invite some of my friends but I remembered I don't have any.
Just tell your slaves they have to post here.

And don't whip them while they're posting.
All I want is for someone to love and to love me back.......at least 3/4 love. Is that so much to ask? Oh and yeah,new boards....that would be cool.
just as a "whiner wish list" type thing (not weiner, pariah) what are the big features that you're looking for in the new forum? like, what should i make sure is there, what works here that y'dont wanna lose, etc. quickreply? portal page? PMs? who's online? that kinda stuff. it'll help the homeworking to find the right version.
Can we not do the Who's Online thing?

If we're gonna spam, I'd at least like to know about it before clicking on the thread.
-youtube embeds, so that Lothar can continue to fuck it up

-the ability to include the names of people we quote, instead of having to type it manually every single time

-the Who's Online thing. The board looks damn lonely without it. Also, a lot of feuds are more interesting if the parties are sniping at each other over obsessive thread monitoring via the who's online.

-the quick reply thing.

-a search function that works

-a poster phoenix that works. Bring back pro, basmas, reax, the guy who is not wedge, dave, grimm, backwards7, chewy walrus, disco steve, kristogar velo, and Mxy.

-the ability to edit threads without leaving any "Edited by" marks.
I don't mind change as long as it's for something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCiW2xFKf4
I just want my kids back.
Good luck.
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Good luck.

-sincerely,
ZZZZap!!

-the ability to include the names of people we quote, instead of having to type it manually every single time

-the Who's Online thing. The board looks damn lonely without it. Also, a lot of feuds are more interesting if the parties are sniping at each other over obsessive thread monitoring via the who's online.

-the quick reply thing.

-a poster phoenix that works. Bring back pro, basmas, reax, the guy who is not wedge, dave, grimm, backwards7, chewy walrus, disco steve, kristogar velo, and Mxy.

you forgot blowjobs and bitches to bring me a soda. what happened to rexstardust, grimm, and the knut (rollin!)? did people just get bored and leave? or did llance finally eat them?
They're all too busy with their Facebooks.
Rex actually made a going away thread that was supposed to explain why he refused to post anymore, but it was cryptic.....and no one really cared.
Im still here actually. I just read crap and barely post. Did rex leave for real? I always thought he'd be the last person to ever leave the boards.
When he moved out of Portland, he lost the will to post. I think there's something about that place that drives people to post at the RKMBs. Take lothar and iggy for example.
portlandia?
When he moved out of Portland, he lost the will to post. I think there's something about that place that drives people to post at the RKMBs. Take lothar and iggy for example.

There is nothing else to do.
I post on another Board that uses vbulletin. It's a decent platform.
While we're discussing the RKMB features, why does the Private Message function no longer work, Rob?

And will it be restored at some point?

In some ways I've always liked that we were a relatively small online community. But in the last 2 years, it's dropped down from 30 or 40 members (some of them obvious alts, some less obvious) to maybe 10 regulars here.

The reasons for that have been discussed in other topics. The departure of some of these increases the likelihood new posters who come in won't be chased away.
 Originally Posted By: Rob
for quite some time now, i've wanted and waited to update this ole gal. you can even see some false hope for evidence, here: http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1166066#Post1166066

unfortunately, the software we use here, and what was used on the original DCMBs terrifyingly 15 years ago, is non updateable. new stuff just doesn't come out any more, and out dear friend is cranky and breaking.

so... i think im finally ready to swap platforms, and move on to something else. something that has been updated since facebook came out. and... actually can connect to fscebook. or be easily accessed by iphones. or... y'know. work.

current front runner is vbulletin, a company i haven't really liked in the past, but their new version seems pretty compatible to what we have here -- which is the goal, btw; to have everything transfer over and seem/look/feel pretty much the same, just with some wanted/needed improvements.

and... there you go.

yeah?
 Originally Posted By: MrJSA

-the quick reply thing.

you forgot blowjobs and bitches to bring me a soda. what happened to rexstardust, grimm, and the knut (rollin!)? did people just get bored and leave? or did llance finally eat them?
I think once rex got away from Eugene, Oregon that he finally found some inner peace and had nothing to bitch about, hence nothing to post. Of course, I'm sure it won't be long now for his return since his states about to be overrun with the Walking Deadheads.
Who knows, maybe Rex will meet a wonderful hippie janitor that only uses all-natural, eco-friendly cleaners. They'll bond and moderate each other out. She'll make him less angry. He'll make her use non-environmentally safe detergents in a desperate gamble to get the stiffness out of his socks.
Those things are so yellow now they're basically bronzed
\:lol\:
 Originally Posted By: iggy
He'll make her use non-environmentally safe detergents in a desperate gamble to get the stiffness out of his socks.

rex's main mission in life is to get the stiffness into his socks.
just as a "whiner wish list" type thing (not weiner, pariah) what are the big features that you're looking for in the new forum? like, what should i make sure is there, what works here that y'dont wanna lose, etc. quickreply? portal page? PMs? who's online? that kinda stuff. it'll help the homeworking to find the right version.

I like the Search function, being able to see mine or any user's previous posts, and the PM function.

I hope you never restore the Who's Online/Stalker Obsession function, that just results in thousands of useless posts.
then he should disable your ability to make new posts

and... there you go.

!
hurm.
wait for it...
In the last year or so, four people have sent me PM's (May and June 2012, and Jan 2013), but I can't open or read them.

So what's up with that, Rob?
Any chance I'll be able to read them in the near future?
I just you a pm with the answer
Domain name: dcmbs.com

Registrant Contact:
Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Whois Agent ()

Fax:
PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1
C/O dcmbs.com
Bellevue, WA 98007
US

Funny, its being cybersquatted.

You know, Rob, you could just... shut it down. This was the place where the banned came to banter. But we're no longer banned from anything. With the DCMBs destroyed in what I was some sort of Crisis on Infinite Communication Platforms, we're the anti-matter Qward version of something that no longer exists. Ten left? The Legion of Doom is looking a little lean.
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
I just [sent] you a pm with the answer

?

I did get your PM.
But all I got when opening it (as usual with the previous 4) was an error code.
From the list of PM's I can only read the title of your PM: "you can open this pm on"

Is there a way to read these PM's?
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
I just you a pm with the answer

?

I did get your PM.
But all I got when opening it (as usual with the previous 4) was an error code.

Is there a way to read these PM's.

Don't you dare correct my posts you son of a bitch! Not after everything you said in your pm to me!
?

Okay...
It must be my evil-parallel-universe self who timeslipped into our dimension, because I don't know how to send a PM now.
[Psst, Wonder Boy. He's making fun of you.]
Dammit Dave! Be quiet or I'll blinky thingy you!
I sent you a PM containing an apology.
That's it! Blinky thingy'd!
Blinky Thinger!
Thinger of blinkies!
the funk soul brother
Dammit Dave! Be quiet or I'll blinky thingy you!

Dammit, blinky-thinged again!
© RKMBs