RKMBs
Posted By: LLance I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 12:41 PM
...because I've been diagnosed with diabetes-type 2. I'm sure this isn't surprising to the majority of you as you've all been so kind about joking about my weight for the last few years. If only I've listened to you! I first learned of the possibility of diabetes about three weeks ago and it was confirmed last Wednesday. I've gone through rage, anger, self-pity, and (mostly) fear. This past Sunday I had some episode that completely knocked the sails out of me. My starvation button got kicked on while I was out driving around and where I normally just get the shakes that is easily remedied by eating I was also nauseated, sweating, and just plain felt like shit! I did eat some white castles (it was something quick!) and felt somewhat less shakey and nauseated after eating but still felt like complete shit. It would last for a few hours and I really didn't feel better until the next day. Whether this has anything to do with the diabetes or not is up in the air. My wife thinks not while I think maybe. I'll have to remember to ask the Doctor when I see him Monday. Sometime in December I go to the local hospital for diabetes class. Right now my wife and I are treating this as a wake up call. I've stopped drinking regular pop and watching what I eat and when I eat and how much I eat and have already lost about 18 lbs. I've yet to start excersizing but I'm going to have to start soon if I want to control the diabetes. My wife got the test kit today so I can check on my blood sugar hence the title of this topic. Any body else have any insight on diabetes I would love for them to put their thoughts down here for me. I thank you in advance for any comments. Anyway if all goes well I'll be losing a bunch of weight and getting into shape in the next few months! I'll be sure to have Franta take a good pic of me at next year's NatureBoyCon so you all can see how (hopefully) successful I've been. My advice to all of you out there right now is to watch what you eat and don't allow yourself to become inactive so you don't ever have to live through this disease. It's scary to think of losing body parts through amputation or going blind because of diabetes. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. God bless!
Posted By: the G-man Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 4:43 PM
Larry, if it makes you feel better, I've known people who have taken the weight off and it is as if they never had the diabetes in the first place.

It sounds like you're well on your way to beating this.

Good luck.
Posted By: PJP Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 4:44 PM
Good Luck Dude!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 4:50 PM
Good luck LLance, I know you're strong enough to make it through, and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.
Posted By: klinton Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 6:22 PM
My father has this. He's nowhere near as motivated as you are, and will most likely kill himself.

Good luck with your efforts, eh?
Posted By: Darknight613 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 6:30 PM
Best of luck to you, Llance. We're all rooting for ya!
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 7:45 PM
My thoughts are with you, man. Take care of yourself and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.
Posted By: klinton Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 7:46 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

You say that as if it were a future event....
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 10:08 PM
Good luck to ya LLance!
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-22 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad news. It sounds like you've got a great attitude about it and tremendous support from your wife. Those ae very important things to have when living with illness.

Are you working with a nutritionist yet?
Posted By: theory9 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 12:12 AM
As someone who has shared a car, convention and house with you (thanks Frantycakes!), I say only this:

Luck is for wimps. Just do it!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 1:56 AM
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Good luck LLance, I know you're strong enough to make it through, and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.

My wife would like to convey a strong emphasis on the SEXIER LLance!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 1:58 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
My thoughts are with you, man. Take care of yourself and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

This is a first on these boards! Someone has alluded to me as being "old" at a future period of time! I could kiss you Jim Jackson!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:01 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Larry, if it makes you feel better, I've known people who have taken the weight off and it is as if they never had the diabetes in the first place.

It sounds like you're well on your way to beating this.

Good luck.

Day two and the numbers looked very good! My wife gave me a big hug and we are confident that this is no more than a wake up call that will actually improve my long term health! I will keep things updated as time goes on and I hope to have a very slim LLance glaring at everyone at this year's NatureBoyCon!
Posted By: PJP Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:01 AM
Um ......Jim is gay Llance.
Posted By: PJP Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:01 AM
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:04 AM
Quote:

theory9 said:
As someone who has shared a car, convention and house with you (thanks Frantycakes!), I say only this:

Luck is for wimps. Just do it!

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments but I definitely agree with my man Theo! Just do it! That's the only course of action really available that makes sense!

I am appalled that Theo didn't mention the night he tried to share a bed with me though...
Posted By: the G-man Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:05 AM
Quote:

PJP said:

You mean Llance isn't?
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:06 AM
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

You say that as if it were a future event....

...wishfull thinking? I think NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:12 AM
You can do it LLance. My dad has it and, while we got him a gym membership and he goes, he's not as concerned about it as we would like. So get that weight off so we can have a new sexy LLance-sleeping-in-what-looks-to-possibly-be-a-childs-bed picture.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:23 AM
Quote:

PJP said:

I knew Jim is gay but I must ask the question...Can't a heterosexual man kiss a homosexual man w/o it having a sexual connotation? Not that we would ever kiss but come on people men kiss each other in Europe w/o sexual thoughts as an everyday occurance. It's here in America where everyone thinks two men kissing is an automatic homosexual act!
Posted By: PenWing Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:23 AM
My understanding is that if you take care of yourself you'll do just fine. From reading your post, I see that you have started doing just that, so I know you're going to be all right.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:25 AM
Quote:

Stupid Doog said:
You can do it LLance. My dad has it and, while we got him a gym membership and he goes, he's not as concerned about it as we would like. So get that weight off so we can have a new sexy LLance-sleeping-in-what-looks-to-possibly-be-a-childs-bed picture.

Good luck to your Dad but at this early stage of the game I have to agree attitude is everything! I have quite a bit of changing to do with my old lifestyle but I'm confident I'll emerge a better person all around for my efforts!
Posted By: theory9 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:26 AM
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

I knew Jim is gay but I must ask the question...Can't a heterosexual man kiss a homosexual man w/o it having a sexual connotation? Not that we would ever kiss but come on people men kiss each other in Europe w/o sexual thoughts as an everyday occurance. It's here in America where everyone thinks two men kissing is an automatic homosexual act!

Nope--just you and Jim.
Posted By: Batwoman Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 7:50 AM
Quote:

PenWing said:
My understanding is that if you take care of yourself you'll do just fine. From reading your post, I see that you have started doing just that, so I know you're going to be all right.

Yes that's right. I don't have it, nor do any family members. But I have 2 friends, my age, that have it. Both were diagnosed in recent years. One friend just found out this year, she doesn't know the cause, but suspects it might be related to having her galbladder removed. She also has an under active thiroid, which may be what's causing the diabetes.

As I said, no one knows the cause of the diabetes, but she's gone through the class, has the kit, etc. She lost a lot of weight in the first weeks of being on her new medication. A result of her body getting used to the stuff. I don't remember off hand how much she's lost though. But I saw her on Saturday and she looked good. Now granted, the last time I had seen her (last year) she had been loosing weight, but not like she has since her diagnosis and all.

Since she has both she has to be even more careful with her diet. But since this is something she's got under control now, she can let her diet slide once in awhile. She just needs to catch herself up afterwards.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 8:03 AM
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.

Can he even get any sexier?

Really though LLance, you can do it. The Hell with anyone who tells you different.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:00 PM
I have to agree it would be hard for me to be any damn sexier as well MrJLA but I'm going to give it a damn good try!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 2:14 PM
Down to 255 lbs. for a total of about 20 lbs. in 3 weeks!
Posted By: Batwoman Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 9:28 PM
Yeah, that sounds like the amount of weight my friend was loosing at first.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 11:02 PM
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

It's not, don't sweat it. A kiss can have no sexual connotation.

But if the kiss is on the lips and lingers, you must buy me dinner.
Posted By: the G-man Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 11:09 PM
Dammit, Jim, poor Larry is on a diet and you're trying to get the man to take you out on a dinner date.

Just once, put aside those dark man lusts that consume you people and think of someone as something other than a potential sex partner/buggery victim.
Posted By: Darknight613 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 11:13 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-23 11:53 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim, poor Larry is on a diet and you're trying to get the man to take you out on a dinner date.

I was simply laying out the rules. I never told him to kiss me on the lips or to make said kiss linger. I just read him the rules.

Quote:

Just once, put aside those dark man lusts that consume you people and think of someone as something other than a potential sex partner/buggery victim.

As soon as you ambulance chasers stop looking at everybody as a potential client.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: I ed myself today... - 2005-11-24 12:17 AM
Then again, Llance and JJ smooching would most likely induce vomiting for all nearby parties, as well as the two in question, so... another weight-loss technique??

Best of luck, Llance.
Quote:

the G-man said:

G-man that's a biggoted remark about homosexuals made to a homosexual person.
I've avoided this thread because I don't really know Llance and didn't want to insult him by making some joke since I know he's going through something rough and is actually here to read what is said.

But you, as a moderator, should refrain from such venomous and hateful remarks.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 12:29 AM
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim

Posted By: Grimm Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 9:16 AM
LLance, you're a good man. I know you and your family have been through a lot of heavy stuff lately. but we all care about you and we're all pulling for you. You can do it, buddy.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 9:25 AM
Best of luck, Llance.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 2:15 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everybody and thanks to r3x29yz4a for coming to my defense and taking a moment to consider that I may have a lot on my plate now. It's okay though...if someone wasn't making something out of nothing then this wouldn't be the message board we've all come to love so dearly. To be honest I was expecting a lot of "You dumbass! You've ate yourself into a diabetic funk and now you've come crying to us!" So don't be too hard on the G-Man...he's just easing the tension a bit!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 2:17 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

It's not, don't sweat it. A kiss can have no sexual connotation.

But if the kiss is on the lips and lingers, you must buy me dinner.

Oy!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-24 6:16 PM
By rights I should insult LLance,but I have to say this.
Diabetes is in no way the huge problem some people would make it seem.
I have a friend the same age as me,and she has had it all her life.
She isnt fat,its just one of those things!
It should also be said that it has rarely affected her life.
The only thing thats different for her to the most of us,is that she must watch what she eats.

Diabetes is in no way the crutch that some people would have you believe.
Fuck,Bret Michaels,the lead singer of Poison has got it as well,and he has multi platinum records & world wide tours under his belt,so nothing is unachieavble.

PS:LLance is old..............very old!
Posted By: theory9 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-25 7:30 AM
...he also fucked Pam.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-25 9:03 PM
Pam who?

On the one hand I tend to agree w/ Nowhereman...watch what I eat and excersize and I'm just going to be fine. No big deal. On the other hand when I read some of the information my wife and I have found on the internet we're both scared silly! People have diabetes for years before it's properly diagnosed and then the medical community proceeds to use medicine that has terrible consequences on the patient! Right now my wife has a list of foods that we've found that are good for diabetics and is leaning toward putting me on a Mediterrenean diet. Bottom line seems[i/] to be eat properly and excersise outdoors for the sunlight and I should live a pretty normal life in spite of diabetes being a condition that can only get progressively worse, never better. American eating habits are atrocious and diabetes is rising ridiculously and being detected in American children as young as 4 years old!
Posted By: theory9 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-25 9:42 PM
Pam Anderson, dude!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-25 9:46 PM
Silly me! How could I forget poor 'ol Pam? After me Tommy Lee and Kid Rock are such letdowns!
Posted By: theory9 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-25 9:48 PM
*sigh*

Le true...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-26 4:27 AM
Bret Michaels fucked Pam,you silly old fool!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-26 4:29 AM
Worth checking out http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
Posted By: BoonzaierBabe06 Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-26 5:22 AM
I know several people who have gone through this and they all are doing very well and havent had any bad sort of impact on their lives. They just are more conscious of diet and exercise.
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-26 11:44 PM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Worth checking out http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

Stand up and take a well deserved bow Nowhereman! I've already bookmarked their site and their message boards! Not only have you helped me find a place of valuable information but an unforseen award is that you may have lured me away from these boards forever! No more LLance to constantly thwart your insidious plots! I bet you're having a victory jack-off celebration even as I type this!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-26 11:45 PM
Seriously...thank you very much for the link!
Posted By: LLance Re: I pricked myself today... - 2005-11-27 10:49 PM
A man of few words.
Posted By: the G-man Re: I pricked myself today... - 2006-02-18 5:17 AM
I wonder how Larry's doing with this.
© RKMBs