RKMBs
22 days till Spring Training!
(and no other team matters!)
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

Cano takes positives from trade talk

Cano made an appearance on Monday at the Center Grove Elementary School in Randolph, N.J., speaking to approximately four dozen children in a gymnasium while offering a few pointers on baseball basics.

that was my school!

My ex fiancee works there now and she has shit for brains. Those poor kids.
thats what the kids there love!
ESPN.com: Baseball

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Yankees spent record $218.3 million on '07 payroll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Yankees did finish first in something last year -- spending.

While their streak of AL East titles ended at nine, the Yankees wound up with a record payroll of $218.3 million.

The World Series champion Boston Red Sox were a distant second at $155.4 million, according to information received by clubs from the commissioner's office. The Los Angeles Dodgers were third at $125.6 million, followed by the New York Mets ($120.9 million), Chicago Cubs ($115.9 million), Seattle ($114.4 million), Los Angeles Angels ($111 million), Philadelphia ($101.8 million), San Francisco ($101.5 million) and the Chicago White Sox ($100.2 million).

In addition to the largest payroll, the Yankees have the highest revenue in the majors. New York took in $415 million last year, giving about $100 million of it away in the sport's revenue-sharing plan.

Both the Yankees and New York Mets will receive revenue boosts in 2009, when they move into new stadiums.

"We're always working on increasing revenues, but it's getting harder and harder to do," Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "The Yankees and the Mets will be greatly helped by their new ballparks which look to be state-of-the-art. They seem very well designed to maximize revenues and to greatly improve the fan experience. The renovations we have been at work on within Fenway, the new ballparks in New York, Washington, Minneapolis -- everywhere -- these are great for baseball."

At the back end were Tampa Bay ($31.8 million), Florida ($33.1 million), Washington ($43.3 million) and Pittsburgh ($51.4 million).

In all, teams spent $2.71 billion on players last year, up from $2.49 billion in 2006 and $2.35 billion in 2005.

The 30 clubs estimate they took in $6.075 billion last year, an increase from $5.2 billion the previous season and $4.7 billion in 2005.

New York has had the highest payroll for nine straight years. The Yankees' total rose from $207.5 million in 2006 and $206.6 million in 2005.

The Yankees were set to fall under the $200 million mark before signing Roger Clemens, who increased their payroll by $17.4 million. He went 6-6 with a 4.18 ERA in 18 appearances.

New York is on track to lead the major leagues in payroll again but its total appears likely to drop. The Yankees have committed $198.6 million to 19 signed players on their 40-man roster. Adding in the midpoints for their three players remaining in arbitration -- Chien-Ming Wang, Robinson Cano and Brian Bruney -- the total increases to $207.6 million.

Payroll figures are for 40-man rosters and include salaries and prorated shares of signing bonuses, earned incentive bonuses, non-cash compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.

Thursday, January 24, 2008
Cano, Yankees near agreement on four-year, $30 million contract

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Robinson Cano and the New York Yankees were nearing agreement Thursday on a $30 million, four-year contract, a departure from the team's stance against giving multiyear contracts to young players.

Cano's deal would include two option years, a person familiar with the negotiations said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement had not been finalized.

The 25-year-old second baseman, eligible for salary arbitration for the first time, could become a free agent after the 2012 season.

He provided a spark when he joined the Yankees early in the 2005 season and batted .297 with 14 homers and 62 RBIs, finishing second to Oakland Athletics reliever Huston Street in voting for AL rookie of the year.

Cano was an All-Star the following season, when he was third in the AL with a .342 average. He struggled early last year -- his batting average was .234 on May 17 -- but wound up batting .306 with 19 homers and 97 RBIs.

After making $490,800 last season, Cano asked for $4.55 million in arbitration and was offered $3.2 million.

New York has two other players still eligible for arbitration. Starting pitcher Chien-Ming Wang asked for $4.6 million and was offered $4 million, and reliever Brian Bruney requested $845,000 while New York countered at $640,000.

The Yankees have several promising young players not yet eligible for arbitration, a group that includes pitchers Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy.
Well I am glad they didn't do the Santana deal. I actually believe Santana wil start to decline in performance starting this year. Where Phil Hughes will dominate the next 10. Also Melky may not be the best hitter but is turning into one of the best centerfielders in the game.
Is Mantle still playing? I liked Mantle.

PixieP User Warlord of CLOW!!!
500+ posts 30 minutes 19 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Sports and Wrestling
Thread: How 'bout them Yankees- 2008 (and no other team matters!)
rex User daffy asshole
15000+ posts Sun Jan 27 2008 09:56 PM Viewing list of forums
K-nutreturns User now
7500+ posts Sun Jan 27 2008 10:18 PM Checking who's online
These Yankees look more like an 85 win team than a 95 team right now. You can make the argument that they have the worst outfield and the worst rotation in their division. Key players like Posada, Pettitte, Rivera and Giambi are in the wrong half of their 30's, and two guys just shy of 35, Damon and Abreu, are clearly on the decline.

Their left side of the infield is the best in baseball, of course, and they do have some promising young pitchers. Still, it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Barring major injuries or a blockbuster trade, I'm guessing they'll be in a dogfight for the Wild Card spot with Cleveland.
Welcome Back!
I WIN AGAIN!
10 days till pitchers and catchers report! In case Snarf and PCG are confused I'm talking about baseball players not gay people so don't get too excited!
Yanks to keep Stadium's hallowed name
By Marty Noble / MLB.com

• No one does the Yankees as well as the Yankees. No professional sports franchise carries itself so consistently, so majestically and, at the same time, so simply. The Yankees know their place in the game, in the city and in the stylebooks. They understand that putting names on the backs of their uniforms would constitute heresy and would prompt scorn, that changing their color scheme would provoke protest and to stage home games anywhere other than an arena named Yankee Stadium -- 1974 and 1975 notwithstanding -- would be counterfeit, disingenuous and, well ... spiritually wrong.

Maintaining their understated ways and protecting their image of tradition often is a savings -- what expense can be incurred by not changing their logo? The Yankees' steadfast sameness seldom is an economic measure.

This time it is, though, and one of enormous fiscal consequence. The location of Yankee Stadium is to change in 12 months, from one side of 161st Street to the other. Not so the identity of the arena in which American sports' most storied franchise conducts its business. Fifty million dollars per year would buy an Alex Rodriguez annually or a Jorge Posada perennially. But the Yankees say they have purchased perfection permanently by rejecting all naming right inquiries.

"You don't re-name the White House or the Grand Canyon," Lonn Trost said Thursday, acknowledging $50 million isn't just a ballpark figure. Moreover, the Yankees COO said the construction cost will exceed the announced $830 million by a half billion. In the name of tradition, the successor to The House That Ruth Built and John Lindsay refurbished will cost $1.3 billion to build.

The cost is for the Yankees to calculate, meet and privately lament. "We'll make it up some way," said Trost. Their public won't care about that anymore come 2009, when the gates open for the first time, than it cared about Derek Jeter's salary the night he sailed into the boxes in '04. The name of the park does matter, though.

And now it has been said -- promised -- that no corporate appellation will be affixed to new place, though the line of corporations willing to slap their names on it would stretch from what became 3-Com Park (nee Candlestick) in San Francisco to U.S Cellular Field in Chicago.

So we all can carry on, referring to it as we have since 1923 -- The Stadium. Even when saying it, the T and the S are understood to be uppercase letters. No acronym will evolve in the Bronx -- not like the BOB (Bank One Ballpark) did in Phoenix. The Ballpark of the Steinbrenner Siblings will not be nicknamed The BOSS. At least that is the Yankees' wish.

News of the Yankees' decision to remain true to their image surfaced Thursday when Trost led media members on a tour of the Yankees' future home, a ballpark that the club intends to have replicate features of the team's former and current homes.

For the most part, the new stadium will be true to the Yankee Stadium that existed for 50 years, through 1973, beginning with the wonderfully regal entrance behind home plate -- Gate 4. The façade is in place with the words "Yankee Stadium" in gold inlay above three high-arched openings.

From the northbound lane of the adjacent Major Degan Expressway, the limestone and granite façade conveys the majesty of the original Yankee Stadium. The Guggenheim-inspired spiral ramp that denies the renovated stadium comparable grandeur will not be replicated -- or spared when he current park is eliminated.

Trost, who oversees the construction, attributed the increase in the construction figure to the addition of a 58-by-103-foot high definition video screen in center field, construction delays and that the initial estimate didn't reflect the cost of concession areas and all features involved with their operation. But the added expense also may reflect the club's intention to recreate, as much as possible, the building that served Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

Toward that objective, the Yankees launched a worldwide search for limestone consistent with what was used in construction of the original park, finally finding a comparable product in Indiana. It will afford the new façade a touch of yellow missing in its annually repainted grey predecessor.

A point to be made is that a "façade" will surround each gate. The roof overhang that made the first Stadium so distinctive and was repeated behind the bleachers in the current park is not a façade, though Mantle identified it as that after one of his home runs ricocheted off it -- and mispronounced it as the fa-KADE. It is, rather, the frieze.

Thirty-nine new sections of steel frieze -- six tons each and covered with seven coats of paint -- will be installed above the entire grandstand.

Trost, who knows his Yankees history, knows Mantle once reached the frieze and once the lights above it. And he knows no one has hit a fair ball out of the park -- either incarnation -- even though his father insisted Josh Gibson did. Trost is convinced no one will leave the new place either.

Mixed with the similarities to the old parks will be the new features -- amenities -- the Yankees say will be distinctive even in this era of replacement parks: A concierge desk where arrangements for theater tickets and reservations for flights and Broadway theaters may be made, air-conditioned/heated bullpens and dugouts, sports bars, a banquet center, a business center with video conferencing so that corporate groups can conduct daytime meetings and attend games, a martini bar, a steak house (open year-round), a collector's shop, picnic area, and of course luxury suites, outdoor suites and party suites.

"We tried to reflect a five-star hotel and put a ballfield in the middle," Trost said.

Not all things Yankees are understated.

Area covered will be 63 percent greater than the current park, but The Stadium, as the Yankees fact sheet put it, "will accommodate approximately 53,000 fans (including standing room, slightly fewer than the current Yankee Stadium).

The field dimensions will be identical to the existing stadium. Even the sun field in left will be the same -- and dangerous. A pennant porch will be included; so too auxilary scoreboards in left- and right-center field, similar to those that existed in the Forties through the early Seventies. They are to be operated -- by hand -- by young fans. "Unless we have union problems," Trost said.

"We've tried to think of everything," Trost said. Or as someone once wrote about the Yankees of shipbuilder Steinbrenner, "to leave no stern untoned."

Monument Park is to be transferred, of course, to the area behind center field. Other items of historical significance may be moved as well. What hasn't yet been determined is how to transfer the spirits that inhabit the current park, "the ghosts" Jeter invokes in critical October instances.

"We'll find a way," Trost said.

But Jason Zillo, the media relations director, later issued a caution. "Not yet," he said. "We still need 'em this year."
saw a buncha shots of the new stadium in-progress today during the nets game on YES network. looks beautiful and cool and all, but... i am still sickened by the thought of a new stadium/location.
5 days away!
oh a new stadium for the yankee$ to play in. how very intere$ting.
1.3 billion dollars.

Good fucking grief.
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
10 days till pitchers and catchers report! In case Snarf and PCG are confused I'm talking about baseball players not gay people so don't get too excited!

saw a buncha shots of the new stadium in-progress today during the nets game on YES network. looks beautiful and cool and all, but... i am still sickened by the thought of a new stadium/location.

We drove past it on our way to watch the Superbowl at my cousin's place in the Bronx and it was a bit odd to see the two stadiums side by side. I haven't been in the Bronx in about a year and it amazes me how fast the new stadium (with an adjacent parking lot!) has gone up.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Report: New 'Joba Rules' have him starting in bullpen, finishing in rotation
ESPN.com news services

There reportedly will be a whole new set of "Joba Rules" in 2008.
The New York Post reported Tuesday that New York Yankees phenom Joba Chamberlain will begin the season as Mariano Rivera's setup man, then be sent down to the minors in June to stretch out his arm so he can be part of New York's rotation for the second half.
According to the Post, the Yankees want to limit the 22-year-old Chamberlain to approximately 140 innings in 2008 and starting him out of the bullpen will help to keep his innings count down.
The Post report states that the Yankees will start Chamberlain in the bullpen, not only to protect his arm but to find his successor as setup man. The newspaper reported that the team will audition several young relievers from a group including Alan Horne, Jose Veras, Edwar Ramirez and Ross Ohlendorf in the sixth and seventh innings in the hope they can replace Chamberlain when he moves into the rotation.
ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported in December that the Yankees were likely to adopt this plan.
A starter in the minors, Chamberlain became Rivera's primary setup man during the final two months of last season.
"We've approached it in a great way. We're going to go in the beginning and understand there's an innings limit, and I know that," Chamberlain said Monday. "I'm excited to have a new challenge this year."
Chamberlain enters spring training along with two other heralded young pitchers: Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. The Yankees are relying on youth more than in recent years as they try to dethrone the World Series champion Boston Red Sox.
Chamberlain will work with the starting pitchers during the early part of spring training, even if he begins the season in the bullpen. Last year, Chamberlain worked under strict pitch and innings limits, which came to be known as the Joba Rules.
"This game is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, and I understand that," Chamberlain said. "Last year, it was kind of frustrating, having the rules, but you understood what it was about. I understand the work load and what's going to go on, but this is going to be my first go around, so I've got to be patient and learn and understand that I've got to ask questions as I prepare myself for a full season in the big leagues."
Chamberlain has been throwing off a mound for the past month at the Yankees' minor league complex. The on-field success has changed his off-field life, which includes being recognized more in public and invitations to baseball events.
"I definitely got some frequent-flyer miles, I'll tell you that much," Chamberlain said with a smile. "It's just the opportunities that came, and the people that I got to meet was great. If you don't perform on the field, you don't get to do all that great stuff and enjoy yourself in the offseason. It was definitely an honor. Hard works pays off, but you've got to come back and work even harder so you can have that much fun next year."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

Although from what I hear, Snarf and PCG might just be right to join the Red Sox!
I miss the RDCW Boston Strangler reports...
 Originally Posted By: Boston Strangler
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

Although from what I hear, Snarf and PCG might just be right to join the Red Sox!

Chelsea Piers has a team called the Red Sox?
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al...ov=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Don Zimmer likes Joe Girardi and even goes as far as to say the New York Yankees’ manager is like a son to him.

But when it comes to the home-plate collision in which Tampa Bay’s Elliot Johnson ran over Francisco Cervelli, breaking the Yankees catcher’s right wrist, Zimmer thinks Girardi is wrong for complaining about the Rays’ hard play in a spring training game.

Girardi said Sunday that Cervelli, who was injured Saturday, will be sidelined eight to 10 weeks.

“I can’t believe that he went after it the way he did. That’s not Joe Girardi,” said Zimmer, a former Yankees bench coach and currently a senior adviser with the Rays. Twice in the past week Tampa Bay runners barreled into catchers blocking the plate.
ADVERTISEMENT

Girardi was a catcher in the big leagues and should know better, Zimmer said.

“You block the plate. If I slide into him and break a leg, nothing is said. Instead of breaking my leg I bowl him over and it’s not the right play?” Zimmer said. “Well, to me it’s the right play, spring training or no spring training. Play the game the right way. To me, our kid played it the way he thought it was right, and I think it was right.”

Girardi said the play was uncalled for in a spring game. He reiterated his disappointment before the Yankees left Tampa for Fort Myers to face the Minnesota Twins on Sunday.

“It’s just disheartening. It’s spring training, I just don’t understand,” Girardi said. “I told all my players to play hard, but when you do something like that you take your chances that you will get someone hurt.”

The Yankees’ first-year manager hadn’t talked with anyone in the Rays’ organization about the play. He doesn’t expect any carry-over when the teams play again Wednesday.

Johnson said Saturday he understood Girardi’s view, but that he would probably do the same thing again because it was his job to try to score. Tampa Bay’s Carl Crawford expressed a similar sentiment after he ran through Houston’s Humberto Quintero last Wednesday.

“I want you to play hard. I want you to hustle, but to me it’s not the time to do it,” Girardi said.

Rays manager Joe Maddon said he’s surprised at how much attention the situation is drawing.

“Just like I said (Saturday), it was a good, hard baseball play. We have to play the game one way all the time. That’s the way we do things. It’s really unfortunate that kid got hurt. … Nobody wants to hurt anyone under those circumstances,” Maddon said.

“This does not deserve any legs. It was an issue that occurred in a game. It was a hard play. The issue was based on whether he should do that in spring training or not, so it’s a philosophical difference.”

Zimmer was New York’s bench coach from 1996-2003 under Girardi’s predecessor, Joe Torre. Zimmer recalled a meeting in the Yankees’ clubhouse in which Torre once told his players to not slide into the plate with Mike Scioscia catching.

“He blocks the plate. You’ll break your legs. So the story was he didn’t want none of his players sliding. Bowl him over,” Zimmer said.

“Now it’s the other way around, and I am surprised that Girardi went after it the way he did. … The plate was blocked and our guy bowled him over. What’s that got to do with spring training? That’s the way to play the game.”

Zimmer was surprised when someone told him Girardi took exception to the play.

“I mean, I’m going to use it the other way. What happens if our guy slides in and he had the plate blocked and our guy breaks his leg? He blocked the plate in a spring training game. Should he do it? Same thing,” Zimmer said.

Maddon isn’t concerned about lingering hard feelings. The Rays face the Yankees three more times this spring and 18 times during the regular season.

“And if we have a chance to take down their catcher, we should, and if they have a chance to take down our catcher, they should,” Maddon said. “That’s the way the game is played. If it’s the appropriate play to be made, make it. Period.”

After the Yankees’ 6-4 victory over Minnesota, Girardi said he considered the matter closed.

“To me, it’s a non-issue right now. We’re beyond that,” the manager said. “Sometimes opinions are going to vary.”

What happened, though, won’t necessarily be forgotten.

“There’s going to be no evil intent to carry over, but what it does just adds a different type of fire to your gut when you play that team. You understand how they’re playing the game and what their mind-set is,” Yankees first baseman Shelley Duncan said.

So if he’s attempting to score when the teams play again, will he slide and try to avoid contact with the catcher?

“I don’t know,” Duncan said. “That will be determined in between third and home.”

AP freelance writer Mark Didtler in Tampa contributed to this report.
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees To Play Like Pussies Under Girardi? - 2008-03-11 1:10 AM
i guess its kinda like the pete rose all star game incident, where most of the topic of discussion was about whether or not the all-star game is game "enough".

i think both sides have valid opinions. i'm moreso of the mindset that spring training is about getting ready for baseball, rather than playing to win, but at the same time the guy running home is fighting for his job, too. he clearly shows his dedication and effort by not simply sliding in.
both sides dont have valid opinions though. if it's a meaningless game, dont block the plate it's that simple. once you block the plate your are saying i'm stopping you from scoring because this matters.
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees To Play Like Pussies Under Girardi? - 2008-03-11 1:19 AM
was he blocking the plate? i honestly don't know.

even still, i'm not sure blocking the plate and barreling over the catcher are on the same level. the latter seems like a step up.
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees To Play Like Pussies Under Girardi? - 2008-03-11 1:22 AM
here, this is from the original story:

• "I'm not trying to hurt anybody, especially in a Spring Training game," Johnson said. "I hope he doesn't lose his job. But I'm trying to show these guys what I can do. I'm just trying to score the run. Looking back on it, I'd have to say I'd probably do the same thing."

Johnson said that he saw Cervelli's left foot blocking home plate as he waited for the relay throw from Jason Lane to Wilson Betemit. Johnson said that he could have tried to hook around the catcher and slide, but he believed he would be out.

"With the time that I had there, the instinct was to slide and be out, or hit him and see if I could pop the ball loose," Johnson said.
see i'm never wrong.
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees To Play Like Pussies Under Girardi? - 2008-03-11 4:52 AM
or straight
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 3:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rays-yankees-ejections&prov=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP)—Both benches cleared during the second inning of a spring training game between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday, leading to the ejections of two players and two coaches.

The teams, meeting four days after Yankees manager Joe Girardi complained about Tampa Bay’s aggressive play after a home-plate collision that injured catcher Francisco Cervelli, had been warned before the game that the umpires would have little tolerance for any further problems.

The benches cleared after New York’s Shelley Duncan slid into Rays second baseman Akinori Iwamura with spikes raised after hitting a hard grounder off third baseman Evan Longoria’s glove and trying to advance to second base on the play.

Duncan, thrown out by at least 10 feet, was immediately tossed. Tampa Bay’s Jonny Gomes was ejected, too, after racing in from right field and barreling into Duncan as other players poured onto the field. No punches appeared to have been thrown as order was restored.

Yankees third base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long also were ejected by the umpiring crew, which met with Girardi and Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon before the game.

New York left-hander Heath Phillips was ejected in the first inning after one of his pitches appeared to graze Longoria’s shirt. The Rays already had two runs and three hits in the inning.

Girardi protested Phillips’ ejection and both benches were warned.

wow Girardi thinks it's bad form to slide into a catcher blocking the plate, but condones spiking a 2nd baseman when you are already out by ten feet.

Joe Blow.
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 6:20 AM
its a bush league play, but this doesn't say girardi condoned it
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 6:21 AM
I have no problem with it. I'll get into this more tomorrow though. If it was anyone but the Yankees we wouldn't even be talking about this.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 6:30 AM
I have no problem with it. I'll get into this more tomorrow though. If it was anyone but the Yankees we wouldn't even be talking about this.

*cough*Red Sox*cough*
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 6:34 AM

it wasnt the fact that it was the yankees that i brought this up. if i had read any manager cry about a guy blocking the plate getting ran over i woulda called em out.
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 9:25 PM
I'm not knocking you for bringing it up bsams. You're hardly the only one. I meant that if it wasn't the Yankees (or Red Sox) it wouldn't have been a story. But people love to hate the Yankees and now the Red Sox since they are winners.

On Saturday's home plate collision: Bsams said that it was a good hard play and if you don't want to get barreled over then don't block the plate.

I respectfully disagree. The opposite side of that coin is if it's just a spring training game and the games don't count then why do it. Slide and if you're out you're out no big deal. Johnson of the Rays could have been injured in the play as well or he might have broken something and the Yankee guy might have been fine. I wonder if Maddon would have thought it was a good idea to do that if it was his guy that broke his arm and will be out for 2 months maybe ending his baseball career.

I have watched for 12 season under Torre the Yanks sit and get bullied around by every team in baseball (especially the Red Sox and their purpose pitches to Jeter) and NEVER retaliate. Fuck that shit. If you want to do stuff that is questionable but "part" of the game then don't be a bitch when it comes back to bite you in the ass. Gomes had no business coming out of the outfield like that yesterday. If anything let the Jap take issue with it.

It's about Goddamned time we had a manager who is not afraid to take the opposing players out if they try that shit with you.
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 10:07 PM
If anything let the Jap take issue with it.

hahaha
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:44 PM
 Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The opposite side of that coin is if it's just a spring training game and the games don't count then why do it.

exactly, why block the plate? obviously if you block the plate you think it means something, and is not a meaningless game.

even in a pickup game, if someone blocked the plate on me, they were getting run over.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:44 PM
also my point is, dont cry if your going to retaliate. it makes you a hypocrite.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:45 PM
also, i take shits bigger than girardi.
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:51 PM
do you think maddon is also a hypocrite for taking offense to this play and not the other?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:52 PM
who?
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:53 PM
the other coach - i think thats his name, right?
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:54 PM
yeah, this guy:

"What you saw today was the definition of a dirty play," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "There's no room for that in our game. It's contemptible, it's wrong, it's borderline criminal. And I cannot believe they did that."
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
 Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The opposite side of that coin is if it's just a spring training game and the games don't count then why do it.

exactly, why block the plate? obviously if you block the plate you think it means something, and is not a meaningless game.

even in a pickup game, if someone blocked the plate on me, they were getting run over.
But if it's a meaningless game why try to score so hard. Johnson by plowing into the catcher put himself at risk just as much as the catcher was at risk. Why risk breaking your arm if it doesn't count?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-13 11:57 PM
i dunno, i'd have to read his remarks.

i never saw the spike incident but from the description:

"The benches cleared after New York’s Shelley Duncan slid into Rays second baseman Akinori Iwamura with spikes raised after hitting a hard grounder off third baseman Evan Longoria’s glove and trying to advance to second base on the play.

Duncan, thrown out by at least 10 feet, was immediately tossed. "

it doesnt sound like there was a play to be broken up by the spikes up. now if you have a chance to break up the DP by running over the 2nd baseman it is a very fair play. but still i'd never whine about, if i feel im wronged i'll return the favor. if i wasnt wronged, id shut up and play ball.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:00 AM
 Quote:

But if it's a meaningless game why try to score so hard. Johnson by plowing into the catcher put himself at risk just as much as the catcher was at risk. Why risk breaking your arm if it doesn't count?

exactly, if it's a meaningless game, why risk injury by blocking the plate?

it's not meaningless, spring training is where roster spots are won or lost.
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:02 AM
Duncan was trying to send a message no doubt. One of their teamates has a broken arm over a fucking spring training game....I figure it was the least he could do. And whether you realize it or not bsams. what Girardi is doing is not whining. But very deliberatley he is sending a message to the Rays and every other team out there (especially the Red Sox) that the days of pussy Torre are over. If you fuck with us we will fuck back even harder. He agrees with the Tony Larussa philosophy that if you hit one of my guys I will hit 2 of yours. I don't think he is whining but he is trying to send a vocal message to other teams and to his team too that the old pussy ways are done with.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:04 AM
and entirely new pussy ways are ahead?
Posted By: Rob Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:05 AM
new! pussy! can't! cook!
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:06 AM
and entirely new pussy ways are ahead?

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:07 AM
i dont know what that means!
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:07 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree bsams!

I think Girardi is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The Yanks desperately needed a change.
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:08 AM
His name is Pussy form the Sopranos.....you never saw the Sopranos? Or you busting my balls again.....you.....you......you're good you.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:10 AM
His name is Pussy form the Sopranos.....you never saw the Sopranos? Or you busting my balls again.....you.....you......you're good you.

ive never whatched the Sapranos, I hear it's good!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:11 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree bsams!

I think Girardi is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The Yanks desperately needed a change.

i liked girardi up until this point, it hink if the yanks werent your team youd see what i mean.
Posted By: PJP Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:13 AM
I know what you are saying, but I think Girardi happens to be using this to set a new standard for the team. Right or wrong. I know Jeter will be happy. Nobody gets hit more than him.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Hypocritical Pussies Under Girardi - 2008-03-14 12:17 AM
spiking the 2nd baseman would have set a good tone. crying about it, then spiking the 2nd baseman not so good.
Posted By: PJP Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-03-14 2:10 AM
this is what Buster Olney has to say about the whole thing.....

"Shelley Duncan spiked Akinori Iwamura, in what appeared to be a clear case of retaliation, in the week after a Yankees prospect had his wrist broken when a Rays youngster tried to run him over. It's a classic example of how you can understand why folks on all sides of the action have done what they've done. Rays manager Joe Maddon has a young team that is trying to establish itself. He must love the aggressive play, and isn't about to tamp that down. On the other hand, you can understand why the Yankees would be upset that one of their players was needlessly injured in an exhibition game, in a clear violation of spring-training etiquette. Duncan answered, and Yankees manager Joe Girardi seemed on board with the action. Plus, from what I hear, some veteran Yankees were impressed that he was willing to go to the wall for a minor league player -- and got a sense of how much he has their backs. And the Rays' players probably like how Maddon backed them, as well. You can argue against one side or the other, but there is one point that is inarguable: This isn't over. There will be other incidents throughout the summer between these two teams. "

so basically it was a win win for both teams as far as trying to send a message to the teams.
The Yankee teammate that spiked the Devil Ray gets a plus in my book.

the hypocritical Gerardi a minus.
fair enough.....you win again!
 Originally Posted By: Sports Illustwhomodded

Duncan didn't spike Iwamura in retaliation for his teammate, but rather in retaliation for Pearl Harbor.
 Originally Posted By: Sports Illustwhomodded

Duncan didn't spike Iwamura in retaliation for his teammate, but rather in retaliation for Pearl Harbor.

Was Duncan's grandaddy killed when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
the navy shot at them when they tried to walk to las angeles to avoid the attack
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Hank Steinbrenner says teams should not 'forget who subsidizes a lot of them'

ESPN.com news services

The acrimony between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays took on a new edge Friday, after Major League Baseball handed down its punishment for Wednesday's melee between the two teams.

This time, Yankees general partner Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays.

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

Steinbrenner, again exhibiting his penchant for verbal jabbing, said he has been pleased by the Yankees' team-first mentality this spring, and did not want to comment on Shelley Duncan's slide -- the one that prompted the Wednesday skirmish.

"Girardi has his players' back and I have his back and that's never going to change," Hank Steinbrenner said to The Post.

"There are going to be problems, especially if they go after our stars," Steinbrenner added. "It's not going to be tolerated. We never have done it to them. It's just not going to happen anymore."

The Yankees and Rays face each other again Saturday afternoon at Legends Field in a split-squad game. The dispute between the teams started last Saturday, when Rays infielder Elliott Johnson slammed into Yankees catching prospect Francisco Cervelli at home plate. Cervelli broke his wrist and is out for 10 weeks.

On Wednesday, Duncan went spikes-up as he slid into Akinori Iwamura at second base, which caused the benches to clear and Jonny Gomes to rush in from right field to tackle Duncan. On Friday, the commissioner's office issued fines against Girardi, third-base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long; suspended Yankees center fielder Melky Cabrera and Duncan for three games each; and suspended Gomes for two games.

Cabrera said on Saturday he most likely will be appealing his suspension.

"All I can tell you is that I will support everything he does, and that will never change," Steinbrenner said of Girardi. "Because this is the manager I wanted, and that's not anything against Joe Torre. That's the manager we wanted at that time. Times change."

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
God! I love Hank!
maybe Girardi will share a tissue with him?
 Quote:
"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

he doesnt know economics that well does he? without those small market teams there is no MLB, and you can bet if a major sporting league would make more $ without small markets, they wouldnt be in small markets. he needs to tell girardi to not have guys block the plate in spring, though i think Girardi has learned his lesson...
[quote=britneyspearsatemyshorts]
 Quote:

he doesnt know economics that well does he? without those small market teams there is no MLB, and you can bet if a major sporting league would make more $ without small markets, they wouldnt be in small markets.

He can piss and moan about the luxury tax all he wants, but MLB's big market teams love their small market teams for their money, and for the easy wins whenever Tampa Bay or Kansas City appears on the schedule...
and their ability to show you when and when not to block the plate!
Posted By: PJP Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-03-23 4:49 PM
8 days away!
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-04-01 6:30 AM
rain!
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-04-02 5:17 AM
yanks start off right -- they win 3-2, and everyone did really well start to finish. and the game ended just before a tornado.
fucking yanke$$, we cant afford a fucking tornado in cincy, we had to settle for slight northerly winds!!!!
Posted By: Rob Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-04-02 5:24 AM
and you'd better remember who is funding your northerly winds!
\:\(
Posted By: PJP Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-04-04 1:29 AM
Yanks split the first 2 with the Jays and go for the win in the series tonight with Phil Hughes pitching!
I hope they get shut out, but only because I have McGowan on my fantasy team. Past that, I don't care.
Posted By: PJP Re: Yankees no longer pushovers under Girardi - 2008-04-04 5:30 AM
I have McGowan too. I sat him today since I have Hughes as well.

Yanks won 3-2. Good game. Toronto is going to be tough this year.
i got to go to this game tonight!

this guy that invested in my company has season tickets, wasn't going, and knew i was a big time yankees fan, so he told me to go. i called my dad and brought him with me. section 2!! right behind home plate. friggin amazing. cold, but amazing.

my dad and i used to have yankees season tickets in the 80s when the team was crap. we actually had them in the next section, section 1.

the face value of the 2008 tickets: $250.00
the face value of the 1989 tickets: $12.00

2000% inflation!
The Bankee$ have to pay for that monster payroll somehow!

weak

Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
monster

somehow!

weak

monster

somehow!

WTF?
there were multiple S's up there left un-monied.

way to phone it in, mahoney.
Fuckin' A, man...
$lightly $ub$tandard there, but do the bankee$ de$erve any better?
$lightly $ub$tandard there, but do the bankee$ de$erve any better?
Red Sox Yankees tonight!
HUZZAH!!!
round one to the good guys

CMW pitched beautifully. giving up a bunt and, essentially, a really long and poorly played fly ball as hits against the sox of all teams is really very impressive.

its pretty funny that he's won more games than anyone in the past few years, puts out a performance like last night, and has the NY media bias behind him... at yet he's still relatively unknown. certainly not as respected as he should be.
round two, not.

2+ hour rain delay squashed what coulda been some better momentum for the yanks. still, i was happy to see moose pitched pretty well. dunno why the fuck he opted to pitch to manny when first base was open, nor why the fuck bosox fans opt to call manny "manram," but it was still a good game.

the new guys molina and gonzalez did really well, too.
Bosox fans DON'T call Manny "Manram."
I found it to be kind of bullshit to call a rain delay after they played in the rain for the previous 2 hours......whatever.
it was definitely a little bit of "home turf advantage" calling it then, but, whatever, thats all part of the game. arod still shoulda gotten a hit after the break.

didn't see tonights game at all, but doesn't sound like i wanted to.
Both teams played like shit.
stop pitching to manny!!

roll the ball in! throw it at his face! whatever. christ.
throw it at his face!

They tried. Buncha bitches.
not well enough!

jeter and arod hit well against the sox. so then the ball gets thrown at their backs. now, no one has to worry about them hitting.

the yankees should be hitting "manram" in the face 3 to 4 times a game. the world would be balanced and at peace.
"Manram" reads like a Freudian slip when you post it.
well stop reading all of my posts sexually, you fruit!
not well enough!

jeter and arod hit well against the sox. so then the ball gets thrown at their backs. now, no one has to worry about them hitting.

the yankees should be hitting "manram" in the face 3 to 4 times a game. the world would be balanced and at peace.

and crying!
MLB, Yanks unveil '08 All-Star plans
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

• NEW YORK -- Ballot boxes had already found homes throughout Yankee Stadium on Tuesday when team co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner walked into the luxurious Stadium Club along the third-base line. He knew that in just over two months, his father's stadium would host some of the greatest players in the game today. And he was pleased.

"I'm a bit biased, without a doubt, but I just believe this is the most fitting site for this year's game," Steinbrenner said. "And I can assure you that everybody in the Yankees organization is going to work very hard to make this very memorable."

Steinbrenner, along with New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, Major League Baseball COO Bob Dupay and several Yankees past and present, were on hand at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday to officially open the balloting for this July's 79th All-Star Game, and to reveal the schedule of events for the entire All-Star Week in New York.

"Yankee Stadium has been a site of so many incredible moments," Bloomberg said. "It's clearly going to be very sad to say goodbye to this place come next October, especially after the Yankees will have just played in a World Series here. But I do think that the All-Star Game is going to be one of those great ways to celebrate all of these special memories, and also the perfect opportunity to start getting excited about the club's new home."

All-Star Week will begin on Friday, July 11, when the DHL All-Star FanFest opens to the public at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in midtown Manhattan. Held every year in the city of the All-Star Game, this year's FanFest will include baseball activities for children, along with history exhibits and appearances by current and former Major Leaguers. The FanFest will run for five straight days at the Javits Center.

Two days after the FanFest opening, Yankee Stadium will get involved, hosting the XM All-Star Futures Game at 12:30 p.m., followed by the Legends and Celebrity Softball Game at 4 p.m. Last year's Futures Game featured such Minor Leaguers as Joba Chamberlain of the Yankees and Clay Buchholz of the Red Sox, and this year's event will run a full nine innings -- up from the usual seven. That's to help many of the Futures Game participants prepare for their upcoming roles in the Beijing Olympics.

The next day, on Monday, Major League players will arrive, debuting to ticket-holders at the Gatorade Workout Day. Allowing fans to glimpse their favorite players as they take batting practice at Yankee Stadium, this year's event will help generate $7 million worth of donations for local and national charities.

Later that night, Yankee Stadium will host the State Farm Home Run Derby, annually one of the most popular events on the baseball calendar. And then, on Tuesday, it will finally be time for the game itself, the 79th All-Star Game in Major League history.

This year's game will be the fourth in Yankee Stadium history -- a list that includes the first-ever All-Star Game in 1939 -- and the eighth in New York City. Considering that the Yankees are building a state-of-the-art stadium across the street to open in April of 2009, this All-Star Game will hold significance during the final season at Yankee Stadium.

"This stadium here has more tradition and more history than any other stadium," Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said. "In my opinion, this is the best stadium in the world."

Jeter was on hand at Tuesday's press conference, along with Steinbrenner, team president Randy Levine and Hall of Famer Yogi Berra. The group exchanged warm words with Bloomberg, who tried on an All-Star Game jersey -- joking that he would bury it underneath Fenway Park -- then stated his commitment to making this year's game a memorable one. Considering the amount of economic growth expected from the game -- a projected $184.4 million in New York City -- Bloomberg has plenty to gain, too.

That income starts with baseball fans, who now have an opportunity to register for All-Star Game and Home Run Derby tickets on MLB.com. Registration opened at noon on Tuesday, and will run until 10 p.m. on June 15. Then, on June 23, tickets for the Futures Game and the Legends and Celebrities Softball Game will go on sale to the public.

"This is a really exciting year," Levine said. "It's great to be a part of it, and the goal is to bring together all New Yorkers, all Yankee fans and everybody all across the world."

Until that time, New Yorkers can anticipate the All-Star Game -- and prepare.

"We do lots of shows all year long," Bloomberg said. "The New York City Marathon, New Year's Eve in Times Square -- nobody puts on events like the Big Apple. I think it's fair to say we have the experience, we've got the resources, we've got the spirit.

"And this July, Bob," he continued, gesturing to DuPay, "you'll be happy to know, I will guarantee you it will be the best All-Star weekend in baseball history."
yanks got a little (much needed) piniella outta girardi last night.

2 game winning streak!!!!!!

the anti torre. much aweshome.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805122685722
Injured Wang will be sidelined well into summer

...which... is such a terrible headline, for so many reasons
Injured Wang will be sidelined well into summer

...which... is such a terrible headline, for so many reasons

http://www.rkmbs.com/...true#Post944633

would it hurt to support a brothers thread?
i'd rather get laughs from them then stick with my friends

HIVE MENTALISTS
DO NOT DO THIS IN FRONT OF THE OTHERS!
http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080621/SPT04/806210424/1071

Quote:
Edinson Volquez went a long way toward earning a return trip to Yankee Stadium Friday night.

Volquez went seven innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, to beat the New York Yankees 4-2 before 53,421 at Yankee Stadium to help the Reds snap a five-game losing streak.

"Edinson was outstanding," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "It was one of his best games. He threw strikes. He didn't let the crowd bother him."

It was Volquez's 10th win. He trails only Arizona's Brandon Webb in that category. Volquez leads the National League in ERA at 1.71 (1.56 better than Webb) and in strikeouts at 110.

All this points to Volquez possibly starting the All-Star Game on July 15.

"I hope so," Volquez said. "I don't know yet. If they give me the opportunity to start the game, I will."

Volquez liked the big stage.

"A lot of fans," he said. "Big city, New York."

Baker wasn't surprised Volquez handled the pressure.

"Everyone else was wondering about it," Baker said. "I wasn't. He's a very mature, poised young man. He did what he's done all year."

Jolbert Cabrera was the hitting star. He went 4-for-4 with a two-run double before leaving the game after sliding into second base when advancing on a wild pitch in the seventh inning.

He dislocated his left index finger and is headed for the disabled list. The bone came through the skin.

"It's sad to lose another shortstop," Baker said. "He made some great plays out there."

Cabrera had the key hit in the three-run fifth.

Edwin Encarnacion singled to start the inning. Corey Patterson sacrificed him to second. Paul Bako grounded out 4-3 against the drawn-in infield.

The Yankees intentionally walked Jay Bruce to get to Cabrera, who lined one into the left-field corner. Bruce scored from first base to make it 3-1.

Ken Griffey Jr. followed with a line single to right. Third base coach Mark Berry sent Cabrera. The ball beat him easily, but he was safe with a great slide and it was 4-1.

Joey Votto's 12th homer gave the Reds an early lead. Votto smoked a 1-1 pitch from Mike Mussina that landed well up in the seats in right.

"That was big to get us out to a lead," Baker said.

The Yankees tied it in the third. Melky Cabrera led off with a single. He moved to second on a groundout and to third on a Volquez balk. He scored on Johnny Damon's broken-bat grounder against the drawn-in infield.

Volquez had great stuff. His fastball was 93-97 mph. He was pitching with an extra day of rest.

"I think I had a little extra," he said. "I don't throw the four-seamer no more. I just throw the two-seam fastball."

But he pitched to contact. That allowed him to keep his pitch count down - he threw 103 - against one of the most selective teams in baseball. "I'm getting better," he said.

Volquez was really tested in the seventh. He gave up back-to-back, one-out singles to Alex Rodriguez and Hideki Matsui. But he got Jason Giambi to fly out before giving up an RBI single to Robinson Cano.

The crowd was chanting "Let's go Yankees! Let's got Yankees!" by then. But Volquez struck out Cabrera to strand the runners.

"I don't pay attention to those guys," Volquez said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080621/ap_o....sH.gyXTyc_z7QF

Quote:
Edwin Encarnacion broke up an unlikely pitchers' duel with a two-run single in the seventh inning and the Cincinnati Reds beat the New York Yankees 6-0 on Saturday.

Encarnacion's two-out hit off Dan Giese (1-2) gave Cincinnati the lead and Corey Patterson followed with a drive to right off Jose Veras for his 100th career homer. Brandon Phillips tacked on a two-run single in the eighth.

Daryl Thompson worked five innings in his major league debut for Cincinnati, which has won the first two games in its first trip to the Bronx since it swept New York in the 1976 World Series.

Thompson and Giese locked up in the first matchup of pitchers making their first major league start at Yankee Stadium since Boston's Tony Welzer faced New York's Myles Thompson on April 22, 1926, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The Yankees put at least one runner on in eight innings and stranded 12. They've scored just four runs in their last three games.

Bill Bray (2-0) followed Thompson with 1 1-3 innings, David Weathers got two outs and Jared Burton worked the eighth before Jeremy Affeldt finished the seven-hitter.

Giese made three relief appearances for New York and got the start Saturday when ace Chien-Ming Wang injured his right foot running the bases last Sunday in Houston.

He breezed through the Reds lineup early, getting through the first six innings in just 62 pitches. He was in good shape in the seventh, too, before his costly throwing error kick-started Cincinnati's big inning.

Ken Griffey Jr. led off the seventh with a single to center and Phillips followed with a grounder up the middle. Giese grabbed the ball and tried to retire Griffey but his throw pulled second baseman Robinson Cano off the bag.

Griffey and Phillips moved up on a groundout before Giese struck out Adam Dunn for the second out. Encarnacion then chased the right-hander and put Cincinnati ahead 2-0 with a sharp single to left.

Giese allowed four hits and three runs, all unearned. He threw 53 of his 75 pitches for strikes.

Thompson, who got lost on his way to the stadium, allowed the leadoff hitter to reach in each of the first four innings and a two-out walk in the fifth but escaped unscathed each time. He allowed four hits, walked four and struck out two.

New York loaded the bases with no outs in the second against the 22-year-old right-hander, who bounced back in a hurry. Thompson struck out Jorge Posada, got Cano to foul out to catcher Paul Bako and fanned Melky Cabrera to get out of the inning.

Thompson, who was acquired by the Reds in an eight-player trade with Washington in 2006, leaped off the mound after Cabrera swung and missed at strike three.

Derek Jeter went 2-for-4 for the Yankees, extending his season-best hitting streak to 10 games. Jason Giambi also had two hits.

Notes:@ RHPs Darrell Rasner, Joba Chamberlain and Mike Mussina are scheduled to start in New York's three-game series at Pittsburgh beginning on Tuesday night. Manager Joe Girardi said Giese would get another start in the Yankees' doubleheader against the New York Mets on Friday but he wasn't sure yet who would start the other game. ... The Reds placed INF Jolbert Cabrera on the disabled list with a dislocated left index finger to make room for Thompson.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseba...mors_swi-1.html

Quote:
The calls started just after Chien-Ming Wang was hurt last week in Houston - Bronson Arroyo's friends jamming his cell phone, wondering if he's going to be the Yankees' midseason rotation fix.

"Trade rumors," Arroyo said Sunday. "I know this is probably my best year in my whole career to be traded - we're not playing our best ball and my salary (nearly) triples next year. Me and (fellow starter Aaron) Harang, both.

"If we're not winning, it all depends on the owner of the club. How long do you want to ride something and see if you're going to win or do you pull out the big-dollar guys and do something?"

Arroyo, perhaps best known in New York as the Red Sox pitcher with the ball on Alex Rodriguez's infamous "slap" play in Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS, has been mentioned prominently in speculation in connection with just about any team in need of pitching. He is 4-6 with a 5.55 ERA for the Reds, who fell into last place in the NL Central with their loss to the Yankees Sunday. Arroyo is making $3.95 million this year and will earn $9.5 million in 2009 and $11 million in 2010.

While Arroyo sounds like he's on the fence about possibly coming to New York, he paid Yankees owner George Steinbrenner a compliment Sunday while noting that baseball owners are generally businessmen first.

"I don't know a lot of the other owners, but in my estimation, the only guy who didn't (care) about making money is Steinbrenner," Arroyo said. "He feels like at all costs he wants to win the World Series. When I look at John Henry and those guys in Boston, yeah, they want to win, but they're only going to push the salary so far. They want to stay under a certain line, so to me, they're businessmen first and baseball people second."

Arroyo pitched in Boston from 2003-05 and he says he's thought about the possibility of one day being a Yankee, but "it's a double-edged sword for me. When I first got traded, I hated the fact I wasn't going to play in a place that had that kind of rivalry and the expectations. I really liked that.

"But playing here for three years, you kind of settle into that and get comfortable where you live and not having stuff written in the paper about you off the field and not have so much scrutiny. I'll go wherever I go. I can make things work and be happy wherever. I get content in a place. Would I like to play for a contender? Yes. But I'm enjoying myself here."

And, Arroyo says, the Reds have the ingredients to contend. "In this division, we can't be in the cellar with the club we have," he said. "But we're (a long way) out and we have to make a move some time or people will start pulling parts off."

"Arroyo, perhaps best known in New York as the Red Sox pitcher with the ball on Alex Rodriguez's infamous "slap" play in Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS"

what is the slap play?
arod pointed to the distance and smacked a whopping blast some dozens of feet from the plate. on his dashing way to first, the fielders approached with the ball, nefariously trying to tag him out. defiantly, arod lashed out at the fielders with his open palms, in an effort to smack the glove away.
epic?
epoch!
yanks have made some big acquisitions over the past few days.

x nady and damaso marte from the pirates, and didn't have to give up much for them. i'm surprised nady was available, as he has a great stat line -- batting 330 with 60 rbis.

and just a few days earlier, yanks signed unfortunately-named richie sexson for virtually nothing. granted, he was playing about as good as virtually nothing, at the time, but he has some great ability. hopefully, the change of scenery will give him a boost above ...y'know... .220.

now there's talk of getting washburn from the mariners (thats why you wear a condom!). not sure how much use he'll be, as he's i think around 35 and having a pretty poor season. maybe he can be a consistent long-relief or 5th starter?
with the yankees dropping catchers like jla drops pitchers (see what i did there? did you see??) they were in a rough spot.

after never being on the DL in his career, posada has been injured pretty much all season, with two failed returns from the DL. his back up got hurt a week or two after getting the start. molina has been filling in, but he's a definite weak spot in the order.

posada, today, decided to opt for the (likely) season-ending surgery to repair his shoulder. and, with that in mind, the yanks went out and tried to find some new blood in the form of old blood -- 37 year old pudge rodriguez.

yanks made the move today, trading away farnsworth, who i've always hated, but has actually been great this year. hopefully, the bullpen wont fall apart without him.

detroit needs the relief work, yanks need the backstop, so its a good trade for both. pudge'll bring some nice leadership and experience, too.
its not been a pretty past few weeks -- i think the yankees have dropped 11 of their last 16. lotsa injuries and oddities in the lineup, sure, but they should be playing far better than this. especially now, with just weeks left in the season.
MisterJLA talkative Moderator Epic Take Maker
15000+ posts Tue Aug 12 2008 01:29 AM Reading a post
15000+ posts Tue Aug 12 2008 01:37 AM Reading a post
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-13 3:43 AM
 Quote:
Hank Steinbrenner blames injuries for the New York Yankees’ slide from contention.

The Yankees are in danger of missing of the playoffs for the first time since 1993. Following four straight losses, they began Tuesday nine games back of AL East-leading Tampa Bay and five behind Boston, the wild-card leader.

“I’m not writing off this season,” the team’s co-chairman said Tuesday. “They’re trying hard to win. There’s only so much you can do. They’re not supermen.”

The Yankees are missing starting pitcher Chien-Ming Wang, who likely will miss the rest of the season because of a foot injury, and Joba Chamberlain, who hopes to return from right rotator cuff tendinitis. Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy have missed most of the season.

“I think it’s very simple, we’ve been devastated by injuries. No team I’ve ever seen in baseball has been decimated like this. It would kill any team,” Steinbrenner said. “Imagine the Red Sox without (Josh) Beckett and (Jon) Lester. Pitching is 70 percent of the game. Wang won 19 games two straight years. Chamberlain became the most dominating pitcher in baseball. You can’t lose two guys like that.”

New York also is missing catcher Jorge Posada, out for the year after shoulder surgery, and left fielder Hideki Matsui, out since June 22 because of a knee injury.

“It’s not making excuses. It’s reality. That’s part of the game. That’s clearly our problem,” Steinbrenner said.

Regardless of how this season ends, Steinbrenner thinks the 2009 Yankees will be the team to beat in the AL East.

“We’re going to win it next year,” he said. “If we need to add a top veteran pitcher, we’ll do that. We’ll do whatever we need to do. Next year we’ll be extremely dangerous.”

the real headline should be:

Steinbrenner: `I shoulda kept Torre’
Posted By: Rob Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-13 4:21 AM
will, in this blurb, hank does whatever he can to not be george, thats for sure.

i think its a (painfully) obvious truth that they've suffered from injuries across the board. eighty starting outfielders, fifteen catchers, a million starting pitchers, etc. its been bad.

still, they have the talent to win, and show that on occasion. injuries happen, they should, and could, be moving on. they're just mired in a terrible funk.
plus the manager sucks. i think he set the tone by crying in spring training.
One day little Tommy went to school wearing a Yankees cap. His teachers asked him why he was a Yankee fan. Tommy said, "Because my Mom and Dad are.". The teacher said to Tommy, "Well that's not a good reason. What if your Mom and Dad were hookers and drug dealers?". Tommy replied, "Well then I'd be a Red Sox fan.".
Posted By: PJP Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-21 5:35 AM
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-21 5:37 AM
That's hurtful...

Posted By: Rob Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-26 11:12 PM
big series starting tonight.

yanks play bosox and rays 6 more times, each, so there's still some wiggle room, but they're running very, very low
Posted By: PJP Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-08-27 3:29 AM
I'm going tomorrow night!
Posted By: Rob Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-09-14 7:26 AM
meh.
I like this thread!
Posted By: the Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’ - 2008-09-24 10:27 PM
britneyspearsatemyshorts annoyed Moderator Co-owner of the RKMBs, & Patriot
15000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 03:26 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Steinbrenner: `They’re not supermen’
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8596858/Clemens-%27heartbroken%27-by-Yankees-video-snub

Quote:
Estranged former Yankee Roger Clemens was "heartbroken" when his former team left him out of Sunday night's Stadium-farewell festivities, which included a video montage honoring the Bronx Bombers' greatest pitchers - but not him, a relative told The Post yesterday.

Clemens was sitting at home in hurricane-ravaged Texas, in front of a battery-operated television on his living room couch, when the team delivered a final crushing blow to its former star.

Clutching wife Debbie's hand on one side and mother-in-law Jan Wild's on the other, Clemens tuned in to his final team's last home game hoping for some recognition for helping win two World Series titles, Wild said.

But that Rocket never launched.

When the team played the video celebrating its greatest players at every position, the steroid-scandal-scarred Clemens was nowhere to be seen.

"Debbie and I held his hand while we watched the game, and he was heartbroken," said Wild, 70. "Not mad. He still loves baseball and the Yankees, but it was sad what they did to him."

Even Chuck Knoblauch -- who was also named in the scathing Mitchell Report on steroids -- was acknowledged on the big screen, hailed as the second baseman of the 1990s. Fellow steroid targets Andy Pettitte and Jason Giambi were at the Stadium in uniform for the Yankees.

Aside from Clemens, also noticeably absent from mention was former manager Joe Torre, who guided the Yankees to 12 straight playoffs and four World Series victories.

"A lot of great Yankees were not mentioned," the team insisted in a statement. "There was no slight intended, and perhaps both Clemens and Torre should have been mentioned as well as several others."

Clemens watched the telecast inside his mansion, which is still suffering the effects of Hurricane Ike weeks after it tore through Texas.

Clemens and his family have about 20 trees down in the yard and flooding in the den, and Sunday's broadcast didn't lift any spirits in the battered household, Wild said.

Yesterday, Clemens headed to Florida, where his son, Koby, is in an instructional league for the Houston Astros.

Wild said Roger has helped out around Houston as the city recovers from the hurricane.

She believes his claim that he never used steroids.

this must be particularly painful, considering his enlarged heart. at least i'm assuming.
 Originally Posted By: The Bastard
They wouldn't have treated Roger this way if he was a white guy.
Posted By: Rob Re: Clemens 'heartbroken' by Yankees video snub - 2008-09-25 12:08 AM
he was a white guy!
Nothing will ever come of it.
Posted By: Rob Re: Clemens 'heartbroken' by Yankees video snub - 2008-09-25 12:26 AM
good point, jla. maybe he was asian during his jail time!
fuck the yankees. that is all...
i cant find the baseball thread so fuck off!

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll....cincinnati.com

Quote:
Dusty Baker finally had enough. When players on the Astros asked him about his daughter dating Corey Patterson, he felt the need to publicly address the issue. Baker has heard the rumor for weeks. There's no truth to it. Natosha is not dating to Patterson.

"She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low? I don't know who started it. But I've been hearing from fans, players, announcers."

Patterson has been the fans' whipping boy all season. He hasn't hit. His average was .203 going into Wednesday. Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini has told him to get the Patterson deal done. The inference being that Baker was behind in the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"

Baker also pointed out that Patterson's playing time is largely due to injuries and trades.

"Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? (Adam) Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry Hairston's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Patterson was sent to Louisville in late May, but he was recalled June 4 when Ryan Freel went on the DL with a hamstring problem.

Patterson heard the rumor, too.

"I addressed it with him briefly," Baker said.

what kind of people get this stuff started in the Cincy blogs?

Posted By: PJP Re: Clemens 'heartbroken' by Yankees video snub - 2008-09-25 4:50 AM
Posted By: the Re: Clemens 'heartbroken' by Yankees video snub - 2008-09-25 4:50 AM
PJP annoyed Moderator My Dog Supports John McCain
15000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 09:50 PM Reading a post
Posted By: the Re: Clemens 'heartbroken' by Yankees video snub - 2008-09-25 5:21 AM
15000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 10:20 PM Reading a post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_o...QWinyrUwXYLMxIF
 Quote:
Joe Torre is no longer bombarded by questions about his boss, no longer caught up in the New York tumult. One constant remains for him, though: October baseball.

So here he is again, managing in the playoffs and leading the Los Angeles Dodgers against a Chicago Cubs team looking to break its 100-year championship drought.

While his old Yankees sit this one out, Torre discovered he could again have fun in the dugout.

"The last couple years in New York were not very comfortable," he said Tuesday.

And this certainly wasn't his easiest season, going into Game 1 on Wednesday.

The Dodgers (84-78) made it despite trailing Arizona by 4 1/2 games on Aug. 29. They had a losing record as recently as Sept. 3.

But they rallied to win their first NL West title in four years thanks to an 18-5 spurt, with late pickup Manny Ramirez providing the big hits and Torre the steadying hand.

"As far as the satisfaction, you never really know when you go someplace new, especially when you've been in one place for 12 years, how you're going to be received," Torre said.

"I know I've had success, but that doesn't mean that the players should believe what you're telling them because you haven't proven anything yet as far as what you can do with this new ballclub," he said.

Relaxed out West, he's loving his L.A. life. Just look at him in that TV commercial — on a surfboard, doing yoga, zooming around the freeways and pitching a screenplay.

Those days under George Steinbrenner seem like forever ago, when his job status made for daily tabloid fodder. By the end, some people made it sound as though he was a failure, rather than a guy who'd won four World Series titles.

"Joe's not the kind of guy who's going to say, 'I told you so,'" said third-base coach Larry Bowa, who spent two years on Torre's staff in New York. "I'm sure maybe deep down he's very happy that some of the negative stuff that you read about that he couldn't do, he came out here and did."

The Yankees never missed the playoffs in Torre's 12 years, but after three straight first-round exits, they offered him a one-year deal worth $5 million — a $2.5 million cut. Insulted by pay incentives for postseason performance, the Brooklyn native declined even though he still would have been the game's highest-paid manager.

"I thought it was just time for (me) to leave, and I have a feeling they felt the same way," Torre said.

Communication with Steinbrenner had eroded over those final three seasons, and the Yankees' offer seemed more like a nudge toward the door than a welcome embrace, ending one of the most successful eras in the franchise's history.

Only Joe McCarthy (1,460) had more wins for the club than Torre, who went 1,173-767.

And Torre's reign was the longest uninterrupted stint by a Yankees manager since a 12-year run by Casey Stengel, who was let go after his team lost the 1960 World Series to Pittsburgh in seven games.

Two weeks after he left New York, Torre agreed to a three-year, $13 million contract with the Dodgers and joined Stengel as the second person to manage both franchises. Players were quick to embrace their new manager.

"It's just amazing how he can reassure everybody," second baseman Blake DeWitt said. "He keeps showing confidence in everybody, not having any doubt. I think that's the reason why we're here."

Along the way, Bowa believes Torre debunked several myths, including one that he didn't handle inexperienced players well. The Dodgers made it this far even though a good chunk of the team is in its early-to-mid-20s.

"He was unbelievable with the young players," Bowa said.

Then, there was the theory that Torre should win every year given the Yankees' talent.

"They had a good team this year, and they didn't win," Bowa said.

And finally, there was the notion that Torre couldn't win in the National League.

"He adjusted to the league," Bowa said. "We did all kinds of stuff. We hit-and-ran. We squeezed. We double-switched. That myth that all he could do was manage in the American League was gone, too. I don't think he'll say, 'I told you so,' but deep down, he says, 'We did this.'"

Away from the Bronx madness, Torre seems more at ease now — even though he always had that calm and laid-back demeanor, Bowa said. In New York, it was the perfect antidote. In Southern California, it's a good blend.

"The coasts are different," hitting coach Don Mattingly said. "I'm sure he's enjoyed it. When we celebrated the other night, he seemed really happy with being able to accomplish this with this club."

Near the end of Torre's tenure in New York, there was a steady flow of questions about his future. There was even a rumor at one point that Lou Piniella, who played for and managed the Yankees, would replace him.

Of course, Piniella wound up taking the Cubs job after the 2007 season, and Torre continued to twist last year. Things got so intense that reporters even camped out at his house in his final days.

Now, he and Piniella are in opposite dugouts — the lone managers each with at least 1,700 wins and 1,700 hits meeting for the third time in the playoffs. Torre's Yankees beat Piniella's Seattle Mariners in the 2000 and 2001 ALCS.

This time, the Cubs hope to end a 100-year championship drought, while the Dodgers want to put their postseason struggles behind them. Los Angeles is 1-12 in the playoffs since winning the World Series 20 years ago.

Torre said the rumors about Piniella "never bothered" him and added he has a "good relationship" with Piniella "as far as I know."

Piniella said: "I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, obviously, as a person and a manager."

That puts him in a long line.

I've always been a big Joe Torre fan, I was upset that the Reds didnt wait to see if he would return to NY before making an offer to Baker. Joe's wife is from Cincy so they may have had a decent shot.
still bugs me to no end that donnie is on the dodgers
donnie d-ball!
still bugs me to no end that donnie is on the dodgers

he should have been named manager if Torre wasnt going to be resigned. Looking at Giradi's record there is no way he could have done worse.
yeah, really, it was donnie's job. clearly being passed over didn't sit well with him. i think girardi would be / have been a better coach -- this was a rough year beyond a manager's meddling. though i still woulda picked donnie if i knew the alternative was him leaving, entirely.
i would have been a marginal yankees fan this year if mattingly was the manager. the difference in the interviews i would imaginf is girardi is an ass kiss and thats what the new owners wanted. i imagine mattingly was honest about what he thought this bloated team could achieve.
Since this has sorta become the baseball thread, I would just like to say one thing....

GO PHILLIES!
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
Since this has sorta become the baseball thread, I would just like to say one thing....

GO PHILLIES!

As a Philadelphian, shouldn't you be booing them? And every other team in the playoffs? And the teams that DIDN'T make the playoffs?
Shut your mouth, Joe. You Bostonians have gotten fat & sassy from all the championships foisted on your city in recent years. FOISTED, says I!
Shut your mouth, Joe. You Bostonians have gotten fat & sassy from all the championships foisted on your city in recent years. FOISTED, says I!

It has nothing to do with being Bostonian, BitterSnarf. I attended the last home series at the Ol' Veterans Stadium (that Friday night against the Braves, followed by a fireworks display). Phillies fans boo'd the Braves, which was fine. But they also boo'd their team, the Philly Phanatic, and the representatives of their 1980 World Series winning team. THEY BOO'D MIKE SCHMIDT!!!

Say what you will about Red Sox or Yankees fans for being arrogant and whatnot, but at least they cheer and support their team. Phillies fans (and Philadelphia sports fans in general) are a bunch of negative scumbags who don't deserve and wouldn't know what to do with a sports title if, by some horrendous fluke, they won one. There's no such thing as a fair weather fan in Philly - for Philadelphia sports, every day is overcast.
philly booed santa claus

the end.
 Originally Posted By: Joe Mama
Say what you will about Red Sox or Yankees fans for being arrogant and whatnot, but at least they cheer and support their team. Phillies fans (and Philadelphia sports fans in general) are a bunch of negative scumbags who don't deserve and wouldn't know what to do with a sports title if, by some horrendous fluke, they won one. There's no such thing as a fair weather fan in Philly - for Philadelphia sports, every day is overcast.

You've clearly never been to a sports bar in Philly during an Eagles game. Nothing but green and white.

You've clearly never been to a gay bar in Philly during an Eagles game. Nothing but anal and reach arounds.
heh
I fuck men and I'm proud of it. Who has a problem with that?
I fuck men and I'm proud of it. Who has a problem with that?

Quoted for truth!

You've clearly never been to a sports bar in Philly during an Eagles game. Nothing but green and white.

Yeah. Green, white, and boo. Just like at the Vet it was red, white, and boo. If I were one of your teams' stars, I wouldn't be able to get out of your shitty city fast enough.
Oh, wow, someone's abusing mod powers and editing posts again, possibly Kampy himself. Clever. x 100
you say this in every forum.
Oh, wow, someone's abusing mod powers and editing posts again, possibly Kampy himself. Clever. x 100

You cannot take it back Snarf, you already posted it, and we admire you for having the courage to come out of the closet on these boards.

We still hate you, and think you are a disgusting fag though!
Thank You.
Shameful, PJP. And to think I thanked God for you and a full head of hair.
I am cheering for a chicago chicago world series. I put money on the white sox to win at the beginning of the year.
Shameful, PJP. And to think I thanked God for you and a full head of hair.
looks like he fleeced you!
King Snarf User 10000+ posts Fri Oct 03 2008 05:40 PM Reading a post
Injuries certainly didn't help the Yankees in '08, but I believe the larger problem was simply that the Yankees were finally surpassed in talent-accumulation by a division rival other than the Boston Red Sox. They weren't a playoff caliber team, anymore. Even the Blue Jays had a significantly higher run-differential and a better Pythagorean record.

Their outfield was atrocious, and thanks in part to the $42 million they had tied up in Abreu-Damon-Matsui, Xavier Nady was all they got to "bolster" it.

Much was written about what Phil Hughes, Jobabot and Ian Kennedy would do to improve the pitching staff, but it was unreasonable to expect their contributions to be so immediate, just as it was also unreasonable to expect Mussina and Pettitte to be anything more than expensive mediocrity(though, as it turned out, Moose pitched quite well). Top to bottom, the Yankees had one of the worst and most overpriced rotations in the AL, and the performance of the pen(including what was possibly the greatest of Mariano River's many great seasons) could not off-set that.

Now the team faces some decisions. Giambi, Pavano, and Abreu(the latter two possessing club options) would represent around $50 million in salary if let go. Mussina and Pettitte are also potential free agents and seem to be considering retirement. This could be a pivotal offseason for the transitional Yankees. Brian Cashman is not stupid, but he will likely have to be very persuasive to convince ownership not to dip their toes too deep into the free agent pitching pool, which looks to be as toxic as ever this year. Sabathia is likely to get a monstrous, monstrous contract, and given the abuse he's been put to the last two years, I'm not sure he's worth Johan money. Whatever his contract is will likely dictate what the next tier of pitchers(Derek Lowe, A.J Burnett, Brad Penny) receive. It doesn't look like there's much of a bargain out there, and the Yankees no longer automatically have the fallback option of putting together a blockbuster trade for a guy on a bad team like Jake Peavy.
but what do you really think about it?
i agree with basams
Ultimate Jaburg53 cool Moderator Asshole Extraordinaire
15000+ posts Sun Oct 05 2008 01:40 AM Viewing list of forums
i agree with ultimate jaburg
Phils are 2-0 in the series, yo!
I'm sure they'll still get booed by their own fans eventually.
 Originally Posted By: PJP
I am cheering for a chicago chicago world series. I put money on the white sox to win at the beginning of the year.

Oakley'd!!!
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
I'm sure they'll still get booed by their own fans eventually.

Heh. "Eventually..."
Yanks declined options on Giambi and Pavano today; this coming a week after Abreu had filed for free agency. All in all, the Yankees have temporarily lost $89 million in base-salary from their 2008 roster. Moose, Pettitte and Abreu may all return(for less, if the Yankees are smart), but, as anticipated, this does give them some spending room. My guess would be that at least one of the set of Sabathia-Burnett-Lowe-Sheets-Dempster will be in pinstripes next year, and that how much they have left from the trip down "Free Agent Pitcher Lane" will determine how much they put on Manny and/or Teixeira's table.
there's a lot of pro-manny chatter lately. i am anti, despite the offensive beast he became in LA. however, its very much a steinbrenner type of move, so i wouldn't doubt it.

i am thrilled to see pavano go. i wouldn't mind having giambi return, but only for a greatly reduced salary (i think he was at 19? how about 5)

abreu i would actually like to see return, especially if giambi doesn't, because he would be one of the only patient hitters on the team. though, he's also in the 17 mil range and should be under, or at least near, 10.

moose and pettitte i think will both be back. pettitte for, perhaps, a final season. i think if moose returns for one more, he'd actually return for two or three.

its unknown how hideki will play, with now two surgecially repaired legs. damon is significantly more fragile. even posada is aiming towards an, at best, 130games.

lots of stuff up in the air for 09
Yanks acquired Nick Swisher. They bought low on Swisher, who was coming off a poor year, and didn't give up much to get him(Wilson Betemit and a pair of non-elite pitching prospects). Provided there's nothing damning in Swisher's medical history that hasn't been released, this looks like a potentially very nice pickup. Swisher is patient and provides much needed power upgrade. He's also relatively cheap still.

On the downside, I do not know what the Yankees intend to do with their outfield arrangement. Swisher has played center in the past, but he's stretched there. A Damon-Swisher-Abreu outfield would cost the rotation a lot of runs.
They already announced Swisher will play first. they are looking for a good defensive CF or maybe use Brett Gardner who plays good defense but can't hit water if he fell out of a boat.
i always hated betemit, so i'm glad to see him go -- in addition to getting something good in return.

in the giambi realm for stats (good power, low average), a switch hitter, defensive skill, young, and a fraction of the cost. its not a phenomenal addition, but it's a great move for the yanks.

i like gardner and cabrera because they bring a lot of "non yankee" mentality to the yankees, younger players with speed. cabrerra would have been perfect for this year, had last year not been such a low for him. now, it's all guesswork. gardner i think is still too muchuva n00b to be counted on this season.
 Originally Posted By: Animalman
Yanks declined options on Giambi and Pavano today; this coming a week after Abreu had filed for free agency. All in all, the Yankees have temporarily lost $89 million in base-salary from their 2008 roster. Moose, Pettitte and Abreu may all return(for less, if the Yankees are smart), but, as anticipated, this does give them some spending room. My guess would be that at least one of the set of Sabathia-Burnett-Lowe-Sheets-Dempster will be in pinstripes next year, and that how much they have left from the trip down "Free Agent Pitcher Lane" will determine how much they put on Manny and/or Teixeira's table.

http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1023088#Post1023088

he doesn't give a shit about us.
Go to hell Animalman!
Mussina announces retirement
BRONX, NEW YORK (TICKER)

• New York Yankees righthander Mike Mussina announced Thursday that he is retiring from baseball after 18 major league seasons.

Mussina is the first pitcher to retire following a 20-win season since Sandy Koufax in 1966. It was the first 20-win season of Mussina’s career.

The 39-year-old Mussina, who went 20-9 with a 3.37 ERA last season, filed for free agency earlier this month, but there was widespread speculation that he would call it quits.

Mussina spent eight seasons with the Yankees after playing 10 years for the Baltimore Orioles. He has a career record of 270-153 with a 3.68 ERA, and is expected receive consideration for the Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible.

A native of Montoursville, Pennsylvania, Mussina is one of just 18 pitchers in major league history to own a career record of at least 115 games over .500. He is also the only American League pitcher to record 17 consecutive seasons of 10-or-more wins (1992-2008).

The 6-2, 185-pounder put together one of his best campaigns in years in 2008, finishing sixth in voting for the AL Cy Young Award. He also won his seventh career Gold Glove.

It was uncertain whether the Yankees would have re-signed Mussina even if he had decided to return. The team has shifted its offseason priorities to younger, high-profile pitchers such as CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

Though he never won a World Series title, Mussina pitched in 23 playoff games, going 7-8 with a 3.42 ERA. He went to the World Series twice with the Yankees in 2001 and 2003.

Selected 20th overall by the Orioles in 1990, Mussina ranks 19th all-time with 2,813 strikeouts and is tied with Hall of Famer Burleigh Grimes for 32nd place in wins.
Yankees, Sabathia close to $160M deal
AP Source

• LAS VEGAS (AP)—CC Sabathia and the New York Yankees are closing in on a seven-year contract worth about $160 million, a deal that would be a record for a pitcher.

The Yankees and the pitcher’s agents had not yet reached a letter of agreement, a baseball official familiar with the talks said Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because a deal had not yet been finalized. The official said the Yankees were confident an agreement would soon be reached.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman left the winter meetings Tuesday and traveled to the San Francisco area to meet with the pitcher and his wife.
I'm not sure what to think about this deal. One the one hand, they're getting the best available free agent pitcher and locking him up for seven years. But on the other hand, they're taking a huge gamble on a guy who clocks in at 290lbs, has never won a big game, and has pitched a shit-ton over the last five years (ESPN ran a list of players who have made the most pitches in the past 5 years and CC placed 4th, I believe). Considering that the Yankees need, at best, two starters and, more realistically, three starters, wouldn't that money have been better spent on any combination of Lowe, Burnett, and a back of the rotation guy? Also, this doesn't address their other need, namely a first baseman.
it really does seem like a "ny" type decision, of "oh shit, we need this teh mostest!!1!"

he's the best pitcher available on the market, but not the best pitcher of all time, so a deal like this is a bit weird. then again, the yankees really are desperate for starters. rookies and injuries aside, it's like they mathematically don't have enough of them, and a guy like CC offers a ton.

he's young (comparatively), healthy (comparatively) and very reliable. really good, solid stats. but can he pitch in the big city? and more importantly, in october? we'll see.

this deal is getting a lot of notice, especially because they yankees passed on the santana opportunity last year. even with hindsight, i like this deal better, as the yankees aren't giving up anything but cash. granted, its a ridiculous amount, but... i also like that its a long-term deal, which although could obviously hurt more, i think has more benefit-potential for the yankees in producing a veteran machine

wouldn't that money have been better spent on any combination of Lowe, Burnett

it's not out of the question that the yankees also aggressively pursue those two.

Also, this doesn't address their other need, namely a first baseman

swisher will most likely be their regular first baseman
it really does seem like a "ny" type decision, of "oh shit, we need this teh mostest!!1!"

Yes, it's very much in the Steinbrennerian mold.

he's the best pitcher available on the market, but not the best pitcher of all time, so a deal like this is a bit weird. then again, the yankees really are desperate for starters. rookies and injuries aside, it's like they mathematically don't have enough of them, and a guy like CC offers a ton.

he's young (comparatively), healthy (comparatively) and very reliable. really good, solid stats. but can he pitch in the big city? and more importantly, in october? we'll see.

this deal is getting a lot of notice, especially because they yankees passed on the santana opportunity last year. even with hindsight, i like this deal better, as the yankees aren't giving up anything but cash. granted, its a ridiculous amount, but... i also like that its a long-term deal, which although could obviously hurt more, i think has more benefit-potential for the yankees in producing a veteran machine

He's 28, so he's in or near is prime, and he's definitely got ace stuff, so that takes some pressure off Wang and Joba. He's got great stats, but not in the postseason. What would concern me, if I was a Yankees fan, is that he's heavy (hell, he weighs more than I do!), and there's a lot of wear on that arm - a criticism voiced when the Tigers traded for Dontrelle Willis, and we all saw last season what happened there. Also, Sabathia voiced a lack of desire to play in New York (always a bad sign). I see this deal working out for the Yankees in the first three years before really starting to bite them in the arse in year four. Also, since they're also giving up their first-round draft pick, I guess Cashman's plan to develop players in-house is temporarily on hold...

Again, congrats to the Yankees. I just hope they know what they're getting into.
he's one of the top 3 pitchers in baseball so I think they know what they are getting in to. Great move! let's sign all the other big names out there too! Burnett, Lowe, Sheets and Texeira!
He is the best pitcher in baseball in my opinion. He offers intangibles besides his pitching. I think he will be a good mentor for younger pitchers on the staff.

He has a great sense of teamwork. With the Brewers he agreed to go on 3 days rest down the stretch which in a free agent year taking on this additional risk for the good of the team is something in this day and age.
He's 28, so he's in or near is prime

sure, we've had years of steroids to alter the stats, but... it just seems like pitchers are able to last much longer than they used to. many of the game's big names are deep into their 30s

Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
With the Brewers he agreed to go on 3 days rest down the stretch which in a free agent year taking on this additional risk for the good of the team is something in this day and age.

i admire that level of work ethic in a regular year, but knowing how much more prone to exhaustion or injury that'd make you in a free agent year is really something.

...er... something good.
let's sign all the other big names out there too! Burnett, Lowe, Sheets and Texeira!

more manny rumors, too (which still sorta scare me)

and just for my own personal reference, so i have them handy next time:

He's 28, so he's in or near is prime

sure, we've had years of steroids to alter the stats, but... it just seems like pitchers are able to last much longer than they used to. many of the game's big names are deep into their 30s

With the Brewers he agreed to go on 3 days rest down the stretch which in a free agent year taking on this additional risk for the good of the team is something in this day and age.

i admire that level of work ethic in a regular year, but knowing how much more prone to exhaustion or injury that'd make you in a free agent year is really something.

...er... something good.

exactly, he had a poor start to the year and if he exhausted himself and finished poorly it could have effected his market value, as some may have saw the middle of the season as a apparition. or worse he could have got hurt and lost out entirely.
I can't believe that Milwaukee did not find a way to re-sign C.C. and to compete in the free agent market.

Signed,

Not really.
Yanks set to send Cabrera to Brewers for Cameron
Source: New York Daily News

• The Yankees have found their center fielder for 2009, as they are set to send Melky Cabrera to Milwaukee for veteran outfielder Mike Cameron on Thursday, according to two major league sources.

The Yankees have been saying that Cabrera and Brett Gardner would compete for the center field job, but the acquisition of Cameron gives them a veteran presence at the position.

Many believed Cabrera would be the center fielder of the future entering the 2008 campaign, but a disappointing season, in which he hit .249 with eight homeruns and 37 RBIs in 129 games, led many to believe he was destined for a future as a utility outfielder. Yankees blue-chip prospect Austin Jackson is not expected to be ready for big league action until at least 2010, making Cameron the ideal one-year stopgap in center field.

Cameron, a former Met, hit .243 with 25 HRs and 70 RBIs in 120 games last season. He will earn $10 million in 2009.

i am "meh" to this. i'd rather have melky, comparatively.
So much for Cashman's plan to develop talent to keep the team competitive, like the Red Sox, Ray, Brewers, and other teams. It's 80s Steinbrenner all over again!!!

The funny thing? If they'd been willing to trade Melky last offseason, they'd have gotten Johan Santana.
It's 80s Steinbrenner all over again!!!

i will accept this

So much for Cashman's plan to develop talent to keep the team competitive, like the Red Sox, Ray, Brewers, and other teams.

i will chuckle at this

The funny thing? If they'd been willing to trade Melky last offseason, they'd have gotten Johan Santana.

the yankees offered melky as part of the santana trade, which is one of the reasons i disliked that deal. the yankees also offered phil hughes. and money. the twins were looking for an additional player to the mix, and discussions faltered when the two teams couldn't decide on who that'd be (i believe minnesota was looking for at least two other pitching prospects)
So much for Cashman's plan to develop talent to keep the team competitive, like the Red Sox, Ray, Brewers, and other teams. It's 80s Steinbrenner all over again!!!

I think we are doing soemthing right if we are pissing Red Sox fans off this early! Go Obama!

I think we are doing soemthing right if we are pissing Red Sox fans off this early! Go Obama!

I'm not pissed at all. I love that 80s Steinbrenner is back. If nothing else, it adds that extra spice to the AL East race. My only question is which Yankee outfielder will be targeted to feel the wrath of 80s Steinbrenner, like Dave Winfield did back in the day.

Face it, Petros, the last couple of years have been pretty fucking dull for the rivalry. 80s Steinbrenner will heat things up quite nicely, thanks.
Boston is nothing without Manny. They should be calling him and begging him back.
Boston is nothing without Manny. They should be calling him and begging him back.

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:
\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Methinks the Yankees will miss Giambi in '09 far more than the Sox will miss Manny, particularly when the Sox sign Texeira (whom they drafted years ago) while the Dodgers give too much money and too many years to Manny...

...unless the Yankees (tee hee!) sign Manny (heh heh heh heh) first (BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!).
fuck the yankees. that is all
I would love Manny on the Yanks.
Then 80s Steinbrenner better hurry up and get an offer together. Manny's said he'll retire if no acceptable offer reveals itself. Clock's ticking...
I would love Manny on the Yanks.

really?

i dunno, he kinda freaks me out. he was too much of a baby in boston towards the end. he's terrible in the field. he doesn't exactly inspire confidence or locker room bliss, either.

sure, he's likely the most feared hitter at the plate in the big leagues, but only when he wants to be, and who knows when that'll be.

i wouldn't be devastated if the yankees picked him up (it's difficult to look at his LA stats and be upset) but i'd certainly be a bit nervous.
thats just robbie being robbie.
robble robble
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-14 11:47 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/yankees-pursuin.html

Quote:
The New York Post's George A. King III reports that if the Yankees can't get Mark Teixeira, they're "right there on" Manny Ramirez.

"If they pass on Teixeira, the Yankees will try and bolster a sagging lineup with Ramirez... And to clear some money, they might entertain offers for outfielder Xavier Nady, who made $3.35 million last year, is arbitration eligible and a free agent after the 2009 season."

The article mentions a 3 year deal despite Scott Boras seeking five.

King suggests Jermaine Dye is another option; however, Dye has the Yankees listed as one of six teams he would veto a trade to.

I would like to see the Yanks sign Manny and give Xavier Nady to the Reds and some cash as a signal of good will.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-15 1:46 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/yankees-pursuin.html

Quote:
The New York Post's George A. King III reports that if the Yankees can't get Mark Teixeira, they're "right there on" Manny Ramirez.

"If they pass on Teixeira, the Yankees will try and bolster a sagging lineup with Ramirez... And to clear some money, they might entertain offers for outfielder Xavier Nady, who made $3.35 million last year, is arbitration eligible and a free agent after the 2009 season."

The article mentions a 3 year deal despite Scott Boras seeking five.

King suggests Jermaine Dye is another option; however, Dye has the Yankees listed as one of six teams he would veto a trade to.

I would like to see the Yanks sign Manny and give Xavier Nady to the Reds and some cash as a signal of good will.

Me too. Then they could move Joey Votto to first and have a purty solid right side of the infield.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-15 1:52 AM
Joey is at first!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-15 1:53 AM
I wish the Reds woud have pursued a veteran pitcher like Petitte or Maddux. There are some remarkable young pitchers on this staff that I think would be much better with the right mentoring. Pitching coaches can only do so much as players tend to think of them as to far removed from the game.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-15 1:56 AM
Joey is at first!

I thought they moved him to LF permanently. Who's in the outfield? Jay Bruce in center...who else?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Yankees Pursuing Manny - 2008-12-15 2:00 AM
That's it! Jay Bruce and Chris Dickerson are the only outfielders in the 40 man roster! We are going to revolutionize baseball!

The just non tendered Norris Hopper and signed him to a minor league deal, nt sure if they put him back on the 40.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av...v=tsn&type=lgns

Quote:
Say hello to the New York Yankees, still the third-best team in the American League East.

That’s the hard truth of Brian Cashman’s spending spree. Sure, he got plenty of headlines and created lots of buzz, but what he hasn’t done is make his team better than the Boston Red Sox or Tampa Bay Rays.

Want to debate this point?

OK, here goes.

The Yankees are going to run out a rotation of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Chien-Ming Wang, Joba Chamberlain and perhaps either Andy Pettitte or Ben Sheets.

Nice, huh?

Even with the questions—Burnett’s injury history, Chamberlain’s tough adjustment from reliever to starter and the assorted concerns around both Pettitte and Sheets—the Yankees have closed some ground on the Rays and Red Sox.

Just not enough. The Rays are still better. James Shields, Scott Kazmir, Matt Garza, David Price and Andy Sonnanstine still comprise baseball’s deepest rotation.

They’ve been on the big stage, too. No one will wonder any longer how they’ll handle pennant-race pressure. They did just fine.

There’s depth, too. Three youngsters—Jason Hammel, Jeff Niemann and Mitch Talbot—appear just about ready for the big leagues. Free agency can’t buy that kind of depth.

The Red Sox? How do you like a rotation of Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Justin Masterson and Tim Wakefield?

Don’t write that group in stone yet. Boston may spring for a starter in free agency, possibly Derek Lowe.

The Red Sox and Rays both have deep, talented bullpens. They don’t have Mariano Rivera, but Jonathan Papelbon is in the discussion about baseball’s best closer.

Rays manager Joe Maddon did a terrific job mixing and matching his relievers late in games. Troy Percival will be back in the role of closer, but playing two months without him allowed Maddon to discover just how many options he has.

In other words, don’t feel sorry for the Rays. Don’t fret that last year’s amazing run was lightning in a bottle.

The Rays are built for the long haul. There’s no artistry to overwhelming a free agent with dollars.

There’s plenty of artistry in attempting to keep the A.L. champions at the top of the heap with a limited payroll.

“We demonstrated last year that payroll doesn’t necessarily decide the standings,” Rays GM Andrew Freidman wrote in an email.

The Rays got better, too, when Friedman last week traded one of his starters, Edwin Jackson, to the Tigers for 24-year-old right fielder Matt Joyce.

“He’s above average defensively,” Friedman said. “We like what he brings to our club. … We feel like he can help us for many years to come.”

Tampa Bay’s outfield of Carl Crawford, B.J. Upton and Joyce might just be the best in baseball.

The Yankees? How does an outfield of Xavier Nady, Brett Gardner and Johnny Damon ring your chime?

Not impressed? Didn’t think so. Boston’s is also better: Jason Bay, Jacoby Ellsbury, J.D. Drew.

But Yankees aren’t done yet. Mark Teixeira and Manny Ramirez are on their radar screen.

Yet we’ve learned the last few years that chemistry and grit are as important as pure talent.

The Yankees left spring training a couple of years ago with 18 former all-stars on their roster. That team didn’t get out of the first round of the playoffs.

The Rays and Red Sox have a clubhouse chemistry that is impossible to overestimate. They’ve got managers—Maddon and Terry Francona—brilliant at making the pieces fit and keeping the club headed in the right direction.

Talent, of course, is important, too, but in this era of parity, it’s tougher and tougher to buy a championship.

The Yankees have spent more on payroll than any other team for several years. They haven’t gotten out of the first round of the playoffs since 2004, haven’t been to the World Series since 2003, haven’t won a championship since 2000.

They tried buying a championship with Jason Giambi, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, etc. Never mind that chemistry and toughness were a huge part of how they won four World Series under Joe Torre.

Cashman has attempted to steer the Yankees back toward becoming a scouting-and-development organization, but after missing the playoffs in 2008, he felt he had no choice but look for a quick-fix through free agency.

Meanwhile, in Tampa, the Rays are keeping an eye on the Yankees while taking care of their own business. Friedman did a brilliant job building a pennant winner last year with under-the-radar signings like Eric Hinske, Gabe Gross and Cliff Floyd.

As long as Friedman and Maddon are in charge, the Rays will be competitive. How do they feel watching the Yankees build a roster with the checkbook?

“It wasn’t unexpected,” Friedman wrote. “We knew going into this off season that they would basically be immune from the economic downturn. We can’t get too caught up in what the Yankees and Red Sox do. We’re confident that if we are able to accomplish our goals for this off season that we’ll be in good position to defend our American League Championship.”

The Red Sox and Rays both plan to get better by opening day. Tampa may make offers to Milton Bradley and Jason Giambi. The Red Sox likely will be in the Teixeira sweepstakes until the end and might trade a pitcher (Clay Buchholz) for one of the Texas catchers.

Regardless, there’s a confidence around the Red Sox. They’re not going to react to the Yankees. “We’re optimistic about where we are as an organization and our foundation,” Epstein said.
What does any of that have to do with the Reds?
Those teams all suck they need 3 outfielders!
\:lol\:
He's 28, so he's in or near is prime, and he's definitely got ace stuff, so that takes some pressure off Wang and Joba. He's got great stats, but not in the postseason. What would concern me, if I was a Yankees fan, is that he's heavy (hell, he weighs more than I do!), and there's a lot of wear on that arm - a criticism voiced when the Tigers traded for Dontrelle Willis, and we all saw last season what happened there. Also, Sabathia voiced a lack of desire to play in New York (always a bad sign). I see this deal working out for the Yankees in the first three years before really starting to bite them in the arse in year four. Also, since they're also giving up their first-round draft pick, I guess Cashman's plan to develop players in-house is temporarily on hold...

A few notes:

1.The "not great" postseason stats are almost certainly attributable to the enormous workload he shouldered during the regular season. His usually superb command disappeared in the playoffs; a tell-tale sign of a tired pitcher. The role he played in Milwaukee's stretch run doesn't suggest that he's one to cave under pressure.

2.Dontrelle Willis is not really a good comparison, in my view. The larger concerns about him was that he relied heavily on deception as opposed to pure stuff, and that he had poor throwing mechanics(significant in that it affected his control and also made him more susceptible to injury, independent of workload).

3.From what I read, Sabathia wasn't unenthusiastic about New York, just interested in playing in California, his home state. Personally, I think the "homeward bound" assumption about free agents has always been sort of a sports journalist kneejerk comment(just to create hot stove league banter), or in the case of the current Teixeira-Baltimore negotiations, a bargaining ploy used by agents to get the big market teams to offer that extra chunk of cash.

4.All the above being said, I agree that this move comes with some enormous risks. A note in the the times had Sabathia's listed weight as 311 pounds. It's pretty hard to forecast what a guy's physical condition is going to be seven years down the road when he's over 300 pounds at 28. In the short term, the Yankees appear to have their ace, and at $14 million next year he'll be a bargain, but something tells me that in 2012, the Yankees are going to be right back where they were at the start of this season: old, injured, and overpaid. So they better hope they win a World Series in the meantime.
.From what I read, Sabathia wasn't unenthusiastic about New York, just interested in playing in California, his home state. Personally, I think the "homeward bound" assumption about free agents has always been sort of a sports journalist kneejerk comment(just to create hot stove league banter), or in the case of the current Teixeira-Baltimore negotiations, a bargaining ploy used by agents to get the big market teams to offer that extra chunk of cash.

I think it goes both ways, Ken Griffey Jr. could have made significantly more towards A-Rod money when he came to the Reds from Seattle but took less and a big chunk deferred. There are a lot of free agents that resign for a hometown discount as well, but I agree if they don't resign before their contract is up and hit the open market, the hometown thing is a bargaining tool.
teixiera on the yanks
He's a really good player but I think he was overpaid for, even the other reported offers that the Sox, Angels, and Nats were offering. To me he is getting money in the great player range which I just don't see.
i'll agree it's over paying, but notmuch isn't lately. i think the nats reportedly offered 200 mil.

he's a great fit for the yanks, first base, switch hitting before or after arod, and like sabbathia i like that it's a long term deal with a relatively young player. they're atleast setting up the possibility of consistency
I think the NAts were overpaying as well(i know overpaying is relative), I just think on his behalf he bacame a free agent at a lucky time, when there really wasnt any premiere position players available, any other year and he wouldnt have got that.

that being said, the Yankees will likely have a lower overall payroll than they did last year and he is a upgrade from an aging Giambi.
I think the NAts were overpaying as well(i know overpaying is relative), I just think on his behalf he bacame a free agent at a lucky time, when there really wasnt any premiere position players available, any other year and he wouldnt have got that.

next year's free agent market also looks especially weak, with holliday being amongst the only nice pickups. and the yankees needed a first basemen much more than a 7th outfielder.

that being said, the Yankees will likely have a lower overall payroll than they did last year and he is a upgrade from an aging Giambi.

definitely a bit time upgrade over giambi. comparable hitting stats to jason's heyday, plus defense, position regularity, and another 10 or so years left in his career.

i do think it was overpaid, but i also think he's a perfect fit for the yanks, so it could be "worth" the money.

Possible Yankees Opening Day lineup
  • 1. Johnny Damon, LF
    2. Derek Jeter, SS
    3. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    4. Mark Teixeira, 1B
    5. Jorge Posada, C
    6. Hideki Matsui, DH
    7. Xavier Nady, RF
    8. Robinson Cano, 2B
    9. Brett Gardner, CF

Possible Yankees starting rotation
  • 1. CC Sabathia, LHP
    2. A.J. Burnett, RHP
    3. Chien-Ming Wang, RHP
    4. Joba Chamberlain, RHP
    5. Phil Hughes, RHP
Teixeira is great.

His .328 EqA would have been second-best in the American League(behind Milton Bradley, ahead of the great Alex Rodriguez) if he'd played in that league all year, and he posted a .321 EqA the year before. His 10.8 WARP3, which is widely considered the best full-skill statistical assessment metric, would have made him the second best position player in the AL(behind the guy who should have Pedroia's award, Joe Mauer). 10 win players are prime MVP candidates, and Teixeira would have posted back to back 10 win seasons if he hadn't missed two weeks in '07.

A .300/.400/.500 hitter with gold glove defense annually is a top player, without question. Teixeira might not have one specific attribute that makes him better than his peers, but he has as wide a breadth of skills as anyone in baseball. He does virtually everything well, and possesses every major skill except elite speed. He just had the misfortune of having not played on a playoff team until the last two months of this past season, so he didn't receive the attention your classically overrated RBI guys(the Morneaus and Howards of the world) get, despite being better.

I'd say, along with A-Rod, Mauer, and Sizemore, Teixeira is one of the four or five best position players in the AL, and there's no reason to expect him to stop being one suddenly, given his baseball pedigree of being one of the most heralded college players of all time and a former consensus top minor league prospect. Unlike Sabathia, he's in good shape, and is one of the hardest workers in baseball. I think a good comparison for this contract is the one given to Todd Helton in 2001. Even if Teixeira's power declines(as Helton's did) by the time his contract nears its conclusion, his plate discipline and quality defense will make him valuable, and Teixeira has the added bonus of being a switch hitter.
They'll buy that championship yet!
And for the obligatory JLA complaint, the Transaction Oracle weighs in on the contract and echos my general feelings about the Yankees and their place in sports finance:

Quote:
I'm not a Yankees fan and I can't envision a scenario in which I'd root for the team.

However, the strongest advocates of a salary cap, the ones ranting about salaries in light of the economy, are full of hot air. And something else, but the site nanny won't let me say it.

MLB's revenues have been exploding since 2003 and player salaries have simply not matched this increase in revenues. In 2003, players in baseball made 63% of league revenues. In 2008, that number appears to be 52% of league revenues, or less than any of the other major professional leagues in the US, which all have salary caps.

For decades, wonks, wags, and wigs have told us that player salaries drive upward ticket prices and that arguments about supply and demand are theoretical constructs for an imaginary world. But in the real world, during a time in which the player's slice of the pie has dropped tremendously (a $400 million loss of the pie in 2008 alone, relative to 2003), ticket prices have continued to gone up unabated. Just as expected, savings from limiting the salaries of those mean old players have been filtered directly into the pockets of owners. Owners who cry poverty and get welfare stadiums. Republicans talked about welfare queens 15 years ago, but it would take thousands of so-called queens driving around in taxpayer Cadillacs to match some of the true members of that category. Take Jeff Loria, who pockets revenue-sharing money and then turns around and gets an additional honeypot in the form an apparently imminent fancy-new stadium. If MLB owners were in charge of the TARP funds, the $700 billion would already be completely gone and the sycophantic media, ever-hungry for prestige, quotes, and free pastrami on rye, would blame it on pay raises for local janitorial staff.

Now, to the Yankees. I've been stalling on saying nice things about the team, but I guess I've got to bite the bullet and get it over with. The Yankees have a mindset that is good for baseball and the US would be better off if more companies possessed the Yankee mindset.

The Yankees do spend more money than other teams in MLB, but the differences would be less drastic if the payrolls of many teams had been rising up to the waves of new cash that have entered baseball in recent years. Going by the NFL formula, very generous considering the MLBPA is far more powerful an entity than any other union in sports, the payroll floor for 2009 would almost certainly be in the $100 million range. 58% of league revenue, as the players in NFL get, would be, in baseball, an average team payroll of a hair under $120 million. It's pretty clear that while the Yankees are outspending everyone comfortably, the rest of baseball has just as much to do with the payroll disparity as the Yankees do.

Now, what about the Yankee mindset? The Steinbrenners aren't anywhere near as rich or as liquid as some other owners in baseball such as Carl Pohlad of the Twins. The difference is that the Steinbrenners have always invested in their team, always striven to put the best product possible out on the field. The Yankees have certainly made some terrible trades, especially when King George was hands-on the most, but they were done with the motive of making the team better. Yes, the Yankees got a huge, undeserved payday from the locals for their stadium, like most teams in baseball did, but it's a mitigating factor that they're actually plowing those funds back into the on-field product. And the team never threatened to not compete until they got their sweet check. Perhaps a small difference, but I see it as a good bit more ethical than Kevin McClatchy demanding taxpayer moneys to help the Pirates compete and then turn around and use all the money to fund his failing media empire.

Now, what about Mark Teixeira? The benefits of Teixeira are pretty obvious, he's a fine defensive 1B who hits very well and should be a relatively safe bet for the Yankees over the course of his contract. He's not A-Rod or peak Manny, but Teixeira's a very good player and while he may only be a bit above-average by his mid-30s, $22.5 million likely won't be exorbitant for an average player on the FA market in 2016.

Arte Moreno may get to have the personal satisfaction of feeling like the injured party, but this is what Tex was going to make when the Angels acquired him and if they weren't going to play serious ball, the Angels should never have done the Kotchman trade. Perhaps they'll change the rules of baseball during the season and allow moral victories to win games, minimizing the damage that the team offense, 10th in the AL in runs with a huge couple of months of Teixeira thrown in, can do.
I didn't read any of that!

RACK me!
And for the obligatory JLA complaint, the Transaction Oracle weighs in on the contract and echos my general feelings about the Yankees and their place in sports finance

heh
Animalman User 10000+ posts 12/24/08 02:40 PM Reading a post

Animalman will agree with me soon. He's too smart for Rob's tricks.

Yes, the Yankees got a huge, undeserved payday from the locals for their stadium

I thought the city of New York was getting the steal of a lifetime by getting fleeced like that...?

Possible Yankees starting rotation
  • 1. CC Sabathia, LHP
    2. A.J. Burnett, RHP
    3. Chien-Ming Wang, RHP
    4. Joba Chamberlain, RHP
    5. Phil Hughes, RHP

Yankees sign CMW to one-year deal
By Anthony DiComo

• Overlooked throughout this offseason of spending has been Chien-Ming Wang, a starting pitcher who has proven that when he is healthy, he can be every bit the ace that CC Sabathia or A.J. Burnett is.

The Yankees are quite aware of that fact, and so they wasted little time in signing Wang to a one-year, $5 million contract on Monday, thus avoiding arbitration.

Wang, 28, was 8-2 with a 4.07 ERA in 15 starts for the Yankees last season before spending the rest of the year on the disabled list with a sprain of the Lisfranc ligament in his right foot and a partial tear of a tendon in the same foot. He remained in a cast until the end of July, but spent the rest of the season rehabilitating and never made it as far as a Minor League rehab stint.

The Yankees stated publicly throughout the summer that they hoped to have Wang back on the mound by September, though he fell well short of that goal. His cast came off at the end of July, and he began throwing off a mound in mid-October.

The injury was a critical one. Wang had won 38 games over the past two seasons for the Yankees, and he finished second in American League Cy Young Award voting in 2006. His 19 wins ranked first in the league that season, and his 3.63 ERA ranked seventh.

Wang, a non-drafted free agent, asked for $4.6 million through arbitration last season, his first as an eligible player, but he lost the case and made $4 million. He likely would have been due for a substantial raise this year if not for the injury, which placed something of a damper on the team's expectations. Still, his 46 wins since 2006 rank third-most in the AL, and his .754 winning percentage ranked second in the Majors, behind Boston's Jon Lester.

Known for his heavy sinker, a pitch that has allowed him to succeed despite abnormally low strikeout rates, Wang will join new acquisitions Sabathia and Burnett in New York's rotation. Though the rest of the rotation remains unclear -- the Yankees are reportedly in talks to re-sign free agent Andy Pettitte, who would join Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes in the mix -- Wang, Sabathia and Burnett could form an impressive trio at the front end of the rotation.

And if Wang can rediscover his success of 2006 and '07, he would be a relative bargain at $5 million. Sabathia, by comparison, will make $9.5 million before he even throws a pitch for the Yankees, plus another $8 million throughout the first year of his seven-year, $161 million contract. Burnett is entering the first season of a five-year, $82.5 million deal.

Wang will be eligible for both arbitration and free agency following the 2010 season. Though general manager Brian Cashman said earlier this offseason that the team would proceed cautiously with Wang in Spring Training, the right-hander is a good bet to start the season in the rotation, or at least be close to returning to active duty.

The Yankees have two other arbitration-eligible players, outfielders Melky Cabrera and Xavier Nady. Cabrera will be eligible for the first time, Nady for the third and final time. If the Yankees cannot strike a deal with either player as they did with Wang, they will need to exchange salary figures with those players on Jan. 19, then meet for arbitration hearings in February.

A star in his native Taiwan, Wang, who has won more games than any other Taiwanese-born pitcher, was named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2007 for the fact that the Taiwanese stock market rises and falls based on the quality of his starts.

His 54 career wins rank third among Asian-born pitchers, and helped him become the third-fastest Major League pitcher in the last 50 years to reach 50 career wins. Wang did it in his 85th career start; Dwight Gooden and Ron Guidry both did it in their 82nd career starts.

its a shame he was injured this past season -- not only could the yankees have really used him in the second half, but he certainly could have been rewarded with a bigger deal.

i hope there's a long-term contract in his future.

the "top 5" list above also excludes kennedy and, perhaps more noticeable, pettitte. be interesting to see how that all plays out
Rob loves the Yankees Wang!
Also the numbers in Animalman's report list total baseball revenues but doesn't mention the fact that most of the increase is concentrated in a few teams(most notably the Yankees), so it isn't exactly fair to criticize other clubs who haven't spent as much, it's not as if every cubs revenue has increased by the overall percentage of MLB.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Maddon unshaken as Yanks add Teixeira - 2008-12-25 3:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3791679

Quote:
Lest anyone forget, the Tampa Bay Rays are the reigning AL East champions and they were vying to win the World Series in October.

So, forgive manager Joe Maddon if he isn't quaking in his cleats over the New York Yankees reaching a $180 million, eight-year agreement with slugging first baseman Mark Teixeira. Maddon still loves the makeup of his team, and he hinted that New York's deal with Teixeira won't alter the small-market Rays' fiscal philosophy either.

"I know we're supposed to be devastated by this, but we're not; for us to lament it does no good," Maddon told the Los Angeles Times in Wednesday's editions. "Of course, Teixeira is a wonderful player -- the Yankees always go after the biggest and the best, and they've done themselves well this winter.

"But we're going to do it our way. It comes down to if you pitch well, you're going to stop good hitters. A lot of what we did last year was based on pitching and good defense. If we continue to do those things well, we'll be right there."

The Yankees swooped in at the 11th hour Tuesday to nab Teixeira, who was also courted by the Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Angels and Baltimore Orioles.

His agreement, the completion of which is subject to a physical, includes a signing bonus of about $5 million paid out in the first three years of the contract; no opt-out clause; and a complete no-trade provision, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The contract will pay Teixeira -- who made it clear he wanted to make a decision by Christmas on where to play next season and beyond -- an average of $22.5 million per season. Boston's offer to Teixeira was for $168 million over eight years, an average of $21 million a year.

"Man, that's crazy," Angels center fielder Torii Hunter told the Times. "Those damn Yankees! They don't play around. When they're trying to win, they're trying to win. It's crazy. They just paid $27 million in luxury tax. That's like 27 dollars to them. They don't even care."

The Yankees shed $88.5 million from their books; included in that are the contracts of $23.4 million on Jason Giambi, $16 million on Bobby Abreu, and $11 million to both Mike Mussina and Carl Pavano. New York has committed $423.5 million in salary in the past month, with $161 million going to left-handed pitcher CC Sabathia ($23 million per year for seven years) and $82.5 million to right-hander A.J. Burnett ($16.5 million per year for five years).

"At the rate the Yankees are going, I'm not sure anyone can compete with them," Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio told Bloomberg News via e-mail. "Frankly, the sport might need a salary cap."

Teixeira's salary gives the Yankees, who are preparing to move into a $1.3 billion new ballpark in April, the four highest-paid players in Major League Baseball: Teixeira, Sabathia, third baseman Alex Rodriguez (10 years, $275 million) and shortstop Derek Jeter (10 years, $189 million).

"They're scary," Hunter told the Times. "Their rotation is one of the best, if not the best, in the game, and now look at their lineup. They have A-Rod, Jeter, Teixeira, Hideki Matsui, Xavier Nady, Robinson Cano, Jorge Posada is coming back [from injury], Nick Swisher ... golly, that's a nice lineup."

Teixeira's agreement also came just one day after the Yankees received a $26.9 million luxury tax bill (their 2008 payroll was a record $222.5 million, according to The Associated Press), though the Yankees anticipate their payroll is going to fall below $200 million because of expiring contracts. Their streak of 13 consecutive playoff appearances ended with Tampa Bay winning the division and Boston taking the wild card, but with the revenue stream from their new stadium, where some tickets are priced at up to $2,500 per game, the Yankees' appetite for free agents wasn't diminished.

"From the moment we arrived in Boston in late 2001, we sought to reduce the financial gap and succeeded to a degree," Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press, in reference to competing with the Yankees. "Now with a new stadium filled with revenue opportunities, they have leaped away from us again. So we have to be even more careful in deploying our resources."

The Yankees last reached the World Series in 2003 and won their last title in 2000. In addition to signing much-needed starting pitchers Sabathia and Burnett, Teixeira's power, on-base percentage and Gold Glove-caliber defense are expected to help end the team's championship drought.

"They've had the best lineup I've seen for seven years in a row and they haven't won it all," Hunter told the Times. "They can still be beat. It will take dedication, hard work, and you've got to have heart. When you have that, you have a chance."
Also the numbers in Animalman's report list total baseball revenues but doesn't mention the fact that most of the increase is concentrated in a few teams(most notably the Yankees), so it isn't exactly fair to criticize other clubs who haven't spent as much, it's not as if every cubs revenue has increased by the overall percentage of MLB.

Rob fell for it hook line and sinker!
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bird-la...mark-the-price/

Quote:
TOWER GROVE — Five years ago the St. Louis Cardinals and the finest hitter of his generation were steaming toward what could have been a dicey and milestone arbitration hearing when, in the 11th hour, Albert Pujols agreed to the largest contract in franchise history. The deal, still active today, made Pujols the ninth $100-million man in baseball history and, at 24, the youngest ever to reach the salary threshold.

As the MVP enters the penultimate year of his guaranteed contract, one thing is clear.

He’s been a bargain.

What is Albert Pujols worth?

News of the New York Yankees inking first baseman Mark Teixeira to an eight-year, $180-million deal rippled through baseball yesterday, and there were probably two interested parties who had little direct interest in where Teixeira signed. The Cardinals and Pujols’ reps cared about what Teixeira signed for. The switch-hitting, Gold Glove-caliber Teixeira finalized a deal with the spree-spending Yankees that averages $22.5 million a year, according to reports. More than Jason Giambi’s contract a few years ago with these same Yankees, Teixeira is a clear and tangible benchmark to help set the market for … well, what Pujols could command as a free agent. Does Teixeira’s new deal hint at Pujols’ next deal?

Both will be 29 during this coming season. Both hit in the middle of the order. Both play first.

Beyond that …

Pujols won his second National League MVP this winter. Teixeira has finished only as high as seventh in the voting, and that was back in 2005. Teixeira, while a switch hitter, is a .290 career hitter with a .541 career slugging percentage. Pujols is a career .334 hitter with a .624 slugging percentage. Some statistical shakedowns:

CAREER … BA/OBP/SLG … 162-gm AVG (ba/obp/slg, hr, rbi)

Teixeira … .290/.378/.541 … .290/.378/.541, 36, 121

Pujols … .334/.425/.624 … .334/.425/.624, 42, 128

3-YEAR … BA/OBP/SLG … HR … RBI

Teixeira … .298/.393/,541 … 96 … 336

Pujols … .338/.440/.629 … 118 … 356

One number that deserves its popularity because of its authority and its ability to compare players against each other and the era in which they play is OPS+. It basically is on-base-percentage plus slugging percentage compared against the league average. It’s a number set at 100 — so <100 is below average and >100 is above average. Teixeira’s career OPS is a sturdy 134. Pujols’ is 170.

Using additional advanced-placement metrics that we have at our fingertips these days, Pujols pulls even further ahead. Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) is simply the number of runs one player contributes to the team over what a replacement at the same position would do with the same number of plate appearances. This past season Pujols led the majors with a 98.6 VORP, according to Baseball Prospectus. It is the second time in three seasons that Pujols has been No. 1.

Teixeira hasn’t cracked the top 50 in that same span.

VORP (according to Baseball Prospectus)

2008 — Teixeira: 35.2 (53rd), right around Troy Glaus, Evan Longoria and two other high-priced ballplayers, Derek Jeter and Magglio Ordonez. … Pujols: 98.6 (1st).

2007 — Teixeira: 27.1 (91st). … Pujols: 72.1 (9th).

2006 — Teixeira: 37.4 (54th), sandwiched between Edgar Renteria and Scott Rolen, and we all know what was going on then with him. … Pujols: 85.4 (1st).

Pujols, it should be noted, does not switch-hit like Teixeira. Of course, he doesn’t need to.

Gold-standard: Pujols in the field

But what about defense? The measures of defense are constantly evolving and improving. One of the best out there right now is the plus/minus used by The Fielding Bible. This is the same publication that has awarded Pujols its equivalent of the Gold Glove every year that is has given out the award. Pujols won this year despite not leading his position in plus/minus for the first time in three seasons. Who did? Teixeira. It only takes a few games of watching Teixeira to know that he’s an above-average defensive player. Athletic. Agile. Etc. The numbers don’t necessarily support the eyes, but it’s safe to say Pujols and Teixeira are, ahem, in the same ballpark when it comes to playing first base.

Their plus/minus scores for the past three seasons (rank at the position in parentheses).

PLAYER, POS … 2006 … 2007 … 2008

TEIXEIRA, 1B … +2 (15) … -4 (22) … +24 (1)

PUJOLS, 1B … +25 (1) … +37 (1) … +20 (2)

All of that is prelude to the original question: What does Teixeira’s new deal tell us about Pujols’ next deal?

It’s a mind-boggling to consider. Is Pujols twice the player, twice the salary? Is Pujols 1 1/2-times the player? Pujols is signed on a guaranteed deal through 2010, and there is a $16-million option for the 2011 season. According to the USA Today salary database (see blogroll), Pujols’ salary didn’t crack the top 25 this past season, but at $16 million for 2009 he’ll likely be in the top 10. Teixeira, at about $20 million in 2009, could be in the top five.

The Cardinals, led then by Walt Jocketty, scored a coup by buying Pujols out of his arbitration years entirely, and they do have rights to him until just a few months before he turns 32. That could reduce the years Pujols will command — especially compared to 29-year-old Teixeira — but not the salary.

I’ve found a few places that have attempted to answer the question what Pujols would make as a free agent in today’s markets. Some present it merely as an academic discussion and don’t arrive at any answer. Others break into mathematical gymnastics far beyond this blog’s ability to translate. At The Baseball Economists’ blog, J.C. Bradbury frames his MVP argument in 2007 around revenue generated by a players’ performance. Pujols ranks well. At Fangraphs there was an announcement today that they are translating some of their sharpest stats into dollar figures and will have leaderboards up shortly. Over at The Book, a blog spawned from a book about The Book, the author wrestled with the Pujols Question, and came to some outrageous conclusions: $300 million. As his guide he used a fascinating scale based on Wins Above Replacement (WAR), similar to the above Value.

The author’s chart is available here, and it illustrates how a player with a 7.0 wins above a replacement player is deserving of a 10-year, $305.9 million contract. (Yowza.)

Using those aforementioned Fangraph numbers, Pujols’ WAR in 2008 was … 9.0.

Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols after a home run.

Clearly, there is no way to calculate Pujols’ worth using other players’ salaries. He defies the market. Teixeira’s new contract only underscores what was already apparent: Pujols is due a raise. A hefty one. If five years ago, he was the youngest $100-million man, then two years from now is he the first $30-million year man? The way his contract with the Cardinals is structured they will be paying him deferred salary long after he retires, until 2029. Might as well minimize the paperwork and keep the paychecks coming from the same source.

To determine the value of that paycheck, however, you can’t rely on comparables. Or, maybe not current comparables. Baseball-Reference.com has a unique feature that compares a player at his current age against all players at the same age. For a majority of his career, Pujols has compared favorably to Joe DiMaggio. There was a break this season. Here are Teixeira’s and Pujols’ comparables, via Baseball-Reference.com’s formula:

TEIXEIRA

1. Carlos Delgado
2. Kent Hrbek
3. Fred McGriff

PUJOLS

1. Jimmie Foxx
2. Hank Aaron
3. Frank Robinson

Maybe that’s the key to understanding how the Cardinals can approach Pujols’ new contract. It’s Teixeira or even Alex Rodriguez that they should consider. Neither compares. The question is: What would Hank Aaron make today?

Thanks to CBA signed in 2006, that's exactly what it means. The Yankees are a cash cow, thanks in no small part to their network contract with YES!, and owners like Jeff Loria take their cut from revenue sharing and sit on it(or use it to prop up their other businesses).
I guess you don't really understand the revenue sharing. Even with the revenue sharing the teams aren't anywhere near equal, the Yankeess still pull in millions upon millions more than many teams.

But don;t get me wrong I don't believe spending=winning. The Yankees above all else are great examples on the other end is Tampa Bay who spend little and went farther, I was just pointing out the holes on the story you posted.
I guess you don't really understand the revenue sharing. Even with the revenue sharing the teams aren't anywhere near equal, the Yankeess still pull in millions upon millions more than many teams. But don;t get me wrong I don't believe spending=winning. The Yankees above all else are great examples on the other end is Tampa Bay who spend little and went farther, I was just pointing out the holes on the story you posted.

Of course they aren't equal. The article doesn't say they are. What it says is that the difference between the Yankees and most of the other teams in baseball isn't that they don't have money to spend. Far from it, infact, as the Steinbrenners aren't close to being the richest family in baseball. The difference is that the Yankees are one of the few teams owned by a group willing to "play ball" and spend the money that the market dictates they should. That's what creates the payroll disparity that isn't seen in any other major sport. The Jeff Lorias of the world are able to willfully put a cheap, substandard product on the field, and still come away with a large profit due to the bump that teams like the Yankees give them with revenue sharing.

Now, how they spend their money isn't always wise, which is why the argument is often put forward that spending doesn't equal winning, but the fact of the matter is that the Yankees have it right. Teams like the Rays are a good formula to follow as it pertains to roster construction, but if the Rays are going to stay contenders they'll have to open their checkbooks a little, as even the notoriously stingy(but savvy) A's have started to do.
as even the notoriously stingy(but savvy) A's have started to do.

freakin finally...
Animalman still doesn't understand it seems.
With revenue sharing every team can afford at least an 80 million dollar payroll. So for the teams that have payrolls that are 15, 20 or 25 million the fans should be pissed off when their good young talent leaves for other teams via free agency.

With that said the Yankees do make more money than most teams and have an advantage. But they make the money and should be spending it on the team instead of the owners keeping the money for themselves. But Boston the Mets, Dodgers and most other big market teams could have payrolls as big as the Yanks if they wanted to. If they ever have a salary cap I would be ok with it as a fan just as long as they had a salary floor that forced these owners to maintain payrolls of at least 60-80 million dollars per team..
Also, missed this before, but a big blunder in the St. Louis Today article:

Quote:

VORP (according to Baseball Prospectus)

2008 — Teixeira: 35.2 (53rd), right around Troy Glaus, Evan Longoria and two other high-priced ballplayers, Derek Jeter and Magglio Ordonez. … Pujols: 98.6 (1st).

2007 — Teixeira: 27.1 (91st). … Pujols: 72.1 (9th).

2006 — Teixeira: 37.4 (54th), sandwiched between Edgar Renteria and Scott Rolen, and we all know what was going on then with him. … Pujols: 85.4 (1st).

Lazy research in sports journalism strikes again. The numbers the writer cites for Teixeira's 2008 season are only based on his 50+ game stretch with the Angels, and his 2007 number is only from his time as a Brave. His total VORP for '08 is is 66.2, which makes him fourth in all of baseball, not 53rd. His 2007 total is 53.1, which made him 24th, not 91st, and came in only 570 at bats. His total had he played the whole year would have but him somewhere in the top 20. Further proof that Teixeira is indeed a top player.

Of course, comparing anyone to Pujols is silly. The only guy close to his level is A-Rod. As BP put it, he's Mozart with a bat.
Animalman, you can bend the numbers to help your cause, but really buck up it's okay for you to be wrong.
With revenue sharing every team can afford at least an 80 million dollar payroll.

If every team spent at least 80 million it would be the same situation though, only average salaries would be higher.

But spending doesn;t equal wins, it only makes teams that do not have a grasp on what makes a winning team able to compete more easily. A lot of GM's are stat freaks like Animalman and they don;t understand that winning baseball is way more than OPS and other silly stats. But if you throw enough money at those guys and accumulate enough it makes you more competitive. Prime example is the Yankees last year, higest payroll in the majors and not in the playoffs.

I think it's silly for people to complain about the Yankees spending as this will bite them in a few years when they are saddled with multiyear deals and aging players or injured players. Where some teams will be able to adapt due to not being overwhelmed with Payroll they wont be able to. So it all evens out, its why the Yanks are up and down like everyone else including most small market teams. The Brewers made a heck of a run with a fairly small budget in comparison, you dont hear people complaining its not fair they have smarter scouts and GM. You use whatever resources you have.
I think it's silly for people to complain about the Yankees spending as this will bite them in a few years when they are saddled with multiyear deals and aging players or injured players. Where some teams will be able to adapt due to not being overwhelmed with Payroll they wont be able to. So it all evens out, its why the Yanks are up and down like everyone else including most small market teams. The Brewers made a heck of a run with a fairly small budget in comparison, you dont hear people complaining its not fair they have smarter scouts and GM. You use whatever resources you have.

very much agree.

there's a lot of ignored negative when it comes to spending, its such a fallacy to not acknowledge that. not just when the team is saddled with the burdens of their purchases, but also the very fact that the money is gone. assuming a billionaire isn't phased by the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars is ridiculous.

the only thing spending guarantees is money spent. in the yanks case, they spent insane money and didn't even make the playoffs this year -- watching, instead, as the cheapest team in the land did. and if they end up winning next year or in 10 years, what do they get? a trophy! its not like they get the money back through winning, its still gone. worse yet, it's not just outta their pockets, but funneled into their competitors.

in a perfect world, i'd love to see a salary floor, where teams were forced to compete. in a perfecter world, i'd love to see more teams like tampa bay succeed (or the a's for a period) to show how it can be done without money. in a perfectiest world, i'd love to have all of these ridiculous numbers deflated. yanks are at 200 mil, but even tampa is at like 40 mil ... how are people playing games for this level of cash?? my dad always tells me that superstars of his day, even big names like berra or mantle, often had to get other gigs to fill in the time between -- from endorsements to bowling alleys to winter jobs.
The guys the Yanks were saddled with this past year were griped about 4 or 5 years ago as being "bought" by the Yankees, so its silly for people to be upset by these guys this year.
exactly!

and, on the other side, its been a majority of the cheaper/younger teams that have succeeded in the past decade or so, despite the
Here's a great article about why a salary cap wouldn't help in baseball :

Quote:
http://www.murraychass.com/?p=391

As the owner of the Milwaukee Brewers for only four years, Mark Attanasio is a mere babe in baseball. Like many players, he might not know what came before him. Baseball life, to Attanasio, began in 2005.

He could be excused, then, for not realizing the storm he might be creating when he invoked the inflammatory words “salary cap.”

Attanasio raised the incendiary issue in an e-mail interview with Bloomberg News when he was asked his reaction to the Yankees’ signing of three free agents for $423.5 million.

“At the rate the Yankees are going, I’m not sure anyone can compete with them,” Attanasio replied. “Frankly, the sport might need a salary cap.”

No one in the sport has uttered that provocative phrase in more than 10 years. It caused the most disastrous work stoppage in sports history, and no one who was around in 1994-5-6 wants to experience that terrible time again.

Before going further with this matter, let’s clarify the terminology. Everyone, including the three major professional sports that have one, calls it a salary cap. It is not a salary cap because it does not place a cap on individual salaries.

Under the rules in the National Football League, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League and what was proposed in Major League Baseball, teams may pay an individual player anything they negotiate. The team, though, cannot exceed the amount of money allowed under that season’s rules for its entire team.

In other words, there is a cap on payrolls so we should be talking about a payroll cap, not a salary cap.

When Attansaio commented on the Yankees’ signings, he was talking about a payroll cap. He wasn’t suggesting that a team be restricted in what it could pay any single player but what it could pay its entire roster of players.

Actually, I can’t be certain what Attanasio was proposing. I wanted to talk to him to find out more about what he meant, but he was not available. His spokesman said he was traveling with his family and wouldn’t be available until the new year.

I wanted to ask Attanasio if he was aware of baseball’s history with the idea of a payroll cap, how the owners kept proposing it in labor negotiations, the players kept rejecting the idea and a work stoppage usually resulting.

It was interesting that it was Attanasio who raised the issue and not one of his more senior colleagues. They know better than to bring up subjects that are better left dormant.

Major League officials chose not to comment. A spokesman for Commissioner Bud Selig said he felt it would be inappropriate for him to comment on comments made by an owner.

One skeptic on the union side suggested that maybe Selig put Attanasio up to raising the cap issue, but Selig took too severe a beating in the last strike to look for more. It may be more likely that Selig called Attanasio, the steward of Selig’s former team, and asked him to forget the cap idea and leave sleeping dogs lie.

Rob Manfred, the owners’ chief labor executive, also declined to say anything. “I’m not going to comment about what an owner said,” Manfred said.

Donald Fehr, the leader of the union, who has led the players in their repeated rejection of a payroll cap, did comment. Refering to the Yankees’ perennially high expenditures and their inability to win a World Series championship since 2000, he said, “Other major league clubs seem not to have had any problems competing with the Yankees the last seven, eight years.”

Attanasio was most likely upset because the Yankees lured Sabathia away from the Brewers by offering $61 million more, then signed two more expensive free agents. But the Yankees didn’t overwhelm A.J, Burnett and Mark Teixeira the way they did Sabathia. The Atlanta Braves were close on Burnett, and a few teams, including the Boston Red Sox, were close on Teixeira.

If the players had their reasons for choosing the Yankees, such as the Yankees giving them the best chance to go to the World Series, that’s not going to change as long as the Yankees remain competitive.

Critics of the Yankees, on the other hand, argue that most, if not all other teams, would have been forced to stop at Sabathia. They would not have been financially able to sign Burnett and Teixeira, too. But the Yankees have the money and will have more from revenue generated by their new park.

Should they voluntarily limit themselves in what they spend? If so, where should they stop? Should they decide themselves or should someone else? If someone else, who? Bud Selig? Mark Attanasio?

That would be the role of a payroll cap, Attanasio might say. All right, where would Attanasio draw the line to create the cap?

The Yankees’ 2008 40-man payroll was $222 million, $76 million more than second-place Boston paid its players and $79 million more than the Mets’ payroll. Attanasio’s Brewers were right in the middle, 15th, with an $88 million payroll.

Should the Yankees have to come down to the Brewers’ level? If a payroll cap were set above the Brewers’ level, would they have to increase their payroll to reach the cap?

But for me to go on about a payroll cap is irrelevant because baseball will never have a payroll cap. What baseball will have, however, is unpredictability in which a team with a $222 million payroll doesn’t even make the post-season.

In addition, with the payroll cap issue out of the picture, the owners and the players have negotiated a record two consecutive labor agreements without a strike or a lockout. The existing agreement runs through Dec. 11, 2011. That’s at least three more years of labor peace.

Owners stopped pushing for a payroll cap because baseball’s revenues took off. They reached $6.5 billion this year, providing enough money for owners and players both, not to mention the commissioner, whose salary one club official said he was told exceeded $20 million.

Information Bank Redux?

In 1987 and 88, the owners ran a bank that took deposits from all of the teams. The teams, though, didn’t deposit money. They reported offers they made to free agents, and the information was shared with other clubs. The union discovered the existence of the information bank in 1988 during a hearing on its grievance against the clubs charging collusion against free agents.

I personally thought the information bank was a great idea. It was the easiest time I ever had getting information on offers made to free agents. The only problem was the bank violated the labor agreement.

Faced with an arbitrator’s ruling against them, the owners closed the bank. Now, however, some agents suspect that clubs are sharing information again, letting everyone know what they offer free agents.

“There are a lot of rumblings that all the teams know exactly what everyone is doing with free agents,” one prominent agent said.

But a union lawyer said the union didn’t have any evidence of information sharing, and Rob Manfred, the owners’ chief labor executive, denied the existence of any sharing operation.

“I don’t know how an agent would have any information about that,” Manfred said. “There is no formal notification about information. Given all the information that’s out there publicly, it would be difficult not to know what teams have offered.”

Whether or not the clubs are sharing offers, there’s no question that the market is moving slower than usual and except for some of the big contracts, free agents are signing for or being offered less than in past years.

But agents acknowledge that the clubs have a ready-made excuse, or cover, for not acting as they have in previous years: the economy.

“There’s continuing pressure for teams to cut their budgets,” an agent said. “Teams that intended to be aggressive had to cut back because budgets have been lowered.”

Commissioner Bud Selig has warned clubs about watching what they spend because of the depressed state of the economy. Most teams seem to be heeding the warning. The Yankees aren’t in that group.

Capping off a Record

If Chris Capuano can make it back next season from his second Tommy John surgery (elbow ligament transplant), he will have a chance to end the 16-start losing streak with which he finished the 2007 season. On the other hand, he could break the record Walt Dickson set with the Boston Braves in 1912 when the Braves lost 18 successive Dickson starts.

Capuano, a 30-year-old left-hander, underwent elbow surgery last May 15 and missed all of the 2008 season. The Brewers didn’t tender him a contract this month, making him a free agent, but signed him to a minor league contract. They would welcome his return considering that they have lost CC Sabathia and could also lose Ben Sheets.

The Brewers lost Capuano’s last 16 starts in 2007, giving him the third longest such streak behind Dickson and Jack Nabors, whose team, the Philadelphia Athletics, lost 17 of his starts in a row in 1916. But Capuano added an extra twist to his streak.

After the Brewers removed him from the starting rotation and put him in the bullpen, Capuano was the losing pitcher in his first two relief appearances, giving the Brewers losses in 18 consecutive games in which Capuano pitched.

Big Contracts Don’t Produce Rings

Before anyone sizes the fingers of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Mark Teixeira for World Series rings, pause and think about Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi and Alex Rodriguez. Mussina and Giambi signed with the Yankees thinking they offered the best chance to get a World Series ring. Rodriguez greeted his trade to the Yankees with the same thought.

But Mussina played eight years with the Yankees without winning a ring and has now retired. Giambi played seven years without getting a ring and has left as a free agent. Rodriguez is still with the Yankees but has already played five years without a ring.

In other words, glamorous, high-paid players don’t guarantee a World Series championship.
But spending doesn;t equal wins, it only makes teams that do not have a grasp on what makes a winning team able to compete more easily. A lot of GM's are stat freaks like Animalman and they don;t understand that winning baseball is way more than OPS and other silly stats. But if you throw enough money at those guys and accumulate enough it makes you more competitive. Prime example is the Yankees last year, higest payroll in the majors and not in the playoffs.

I am very much a baseball outsider, so I'm not privy to the inner-workings of your typical MLB front office, but my opinion is that most GM's really aren't what you term "stat freaks". If you get a chance to check out the winter meetings(this year they were in Las Vegas, next year they're in Indianapolis I think), you'll find traditional scouting methods still dominate baseball thinking, for the most part, and even as talent evaluators begin to incorporate certain metrics into their lexicon, they're often years behind those within the sabermetric community. OPS is a nice, easily calculated stat, but its not the end all be all. One thing that I can't stress enough is that I don't say that any stat is important; just the right stats, placed in the proper context. Raw stats like OPS lack that context, and context is everything.

There are only about a half-dozen teams around the league right now that are generally recognized as being statistically progressive in their thinking, and in my view, its no coincidence that many of these teams are among the leagues best, such as Boston and Tampa Bay(and those historically successful, like Oakland and San Diego).

Despite the presence of Brian Cashman, the Yankees are definitely not a "stat freak" team. No stat freak team would start an outfield with Johnny Damon, Brett Gardner and Xavier Nady.
those eyes pierce right into your soul, then spin you around til you die
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Yanks Building Tax Bill Early - 2009-01-01 12:28 AM
 Quote:
The Yankees received their $26.9 million 2008 luxury tax bill only last week, and they have already qualified for the 2009 tax, exceeding the tax threshold when they have signed less than half of their 40-man roster.

The Yankees have 14 players under contract for 2009, and the annual average values of their contracts total $186.35 million. The threshold over which tax must be paid will be $162 million next season. At 40 percent, the Yankees’ personal tax rate (for multiple excesses), they already owe $9.74 million.

Although it applies only to next year, the Yankees’ current payroll total also exceeds the thresholds for 2010 ($170 million) and 2011 ($178 million).

The Yankees insist that their 2009 payroll will be lower than the 2008 payroll, but I am skeptical, not that I care what their payroll is. I don’t have to pay it.

The problem with computing payrolls is there are so many different ways of doing it. The original, old-fashioned way bases payroll on 25-man rosters and disabled lists as of Aug. 31. On that basis, the Yankees’ payroll this year was $218 million.

(The figure most widely used by reporters for the Yankees’ payroll is $209 million because that was the opening-day figure computed by Ron Blum of the Associated Press, who quickly and accurately reports contract figures as soon as clubs report them to the commissioner’s office. Once Blum has done their work for them in calculating all opening-day payrolls, baseball reporters for the most part are too lazy to update them for the teams they cover, adding each arrival and subtracting each departure, so they are now nine months behind.)

Until the past couple of seasons, the commissioner’s office used the old-fashioned method to determine payrolls. Now it bases payrolls on 40-man rosters. On that basis, the Yankees’ payroll this year was $222 million.

It was also, coincidentally, $222 million in payrolls calculated for luxury tax purposes. In that method, players’ contracts are averaged, and the average annual values are added to determine which teams are above the threshold as stated in the collective bargaining agreement. In the other methods, the salary for that particular season is used, and a pro-rated share of a signing bonus, if any, is added to the salary.

No matter which payroll the Yankees want to lower, they will have to do some tricky calculations. Their luxury tax payroll was $222 million; it’s now $186.35. The Aug. 31-based payroll was $218 million. It’s now $192.85 million.

On the other hand, with virtually every starting position player and nearly every significant pitcher signed, the Yankees apparently have only one player left to sign for a double-digit salary. That’s Andy Pettitte, who has not responded to the Yankees’ $10 million offer.

He hasn’t responded because he doesn’t want to take a $6 million cut in pay, but there’s no suggestion out there that says someone else is willing to give him more. Pettitte actually is a pivotal figure in a puzzling claim the Yankees have made. The claim has been bought and repeated by so many people, reporters and fans alike, that they recite it like a mantra: 88.5, 88.5, 88.5. Baseball writers use the number so automatically it must be a key on their computer keyboards: 88.5, 88.5, 88.5.

What is it? Put a dollar sign in front and million after it, and it becomes $88.5 million, the amount of money that has supposedly come off the Yankees’ payroll since last season and supports the tale the Yankees tell routinely, that their 2009 payroll will be lower than their 2008 payroll.

But the Yankees base their projection on that 88.5 figure, and it doesn’t exist, at least not that my mathematical gymnastics can find. Let me attempt to get to that total.

First some ground rules. For players who will not be back with the Yankees next season, I have used their base 2008 salaries and pro-rated shares of signing bonuses because that’s the traditional method of calculation used by the commissioner’s office and the Players Association. For players who were traded to or from the Yankees during the season, I have allotted to the Yankees only the portions of their salaries they earned while they were with the Yankees.

Let’s begin by taking the obvious departed players:
Jason Giambi

$23,428,571
Bobby Abreu

$16,000,000
Mike Mussina

$11,500,000
Carl Pavano

$11,000,000

Those salaries add to a rounded off $62 million. Now add Pettitte’s $16 million salary, although he may yet re-sign with the Yankees.

Wilson Betemit is gone with his $1,165,000 salary, and so is Ivan Rodriguez, whose salary last season was $13 million but only about a third of it with the Yankees, who paid him $4,262,294.

The Yankees didn’t exercise Damaso Marte’s $6 million option for next season, but they bought it out for $250,000 and they signed him to a new three-year, $12 million contract with a first-year salary of $3.75 million. The Yankees paid the relief pitcher $751,912 for the two months he played for them last season, but next season they will pay him five times the amount that was taken off the payroll.

Two other pitchers won’t be back with the Yankees, but the Yankees won’t be saving a load of money as a result of their departures: Darrell Rasner’s $409,000 and the $200,328 they paid Sidney Ponson as a pro-rated share of the minimum salary ($390,000) contract they gave him after Texas released him from a guaranteed contract.

The Yankees would put Kyle Farnsworth and Latroy Hawkins in the departed column, but both pitchers were traded last July, just before the non-waiver trading deadline and don’t figure in the payrolls based on Aug. 31 rosters and disabled lists. In other words, Farnsworth was traded for Rodriguez, and you can’t count both of their salaries.

So let’s see what we have. With the initial $62 million and assuming Pettitte won’t be back, the total off the payroll is $78 million. Throw in Rodriguez, Betemit, Rasner and Ponson but not Marte, Hawkins and Farnsworth, and the total off the 2008 payroll becomes $84 million and change.

That’s close to 88.5, but it’s not 88.5. And if Pettitte should sign, it becomes $74 million. There are other deductions to make from the off-the-payroll total. Like Marte, teammates Pavano and Giambi had options that the Yankees opted not to pick up. Their buyouts were more expensive — $1.95 million for Pavano, $5 million for Giambi, making a total of $7.2 million in buyouts, which reduces the off-the-payroll savings to $76.8 million.

Now let’s see what the Yankees will spend next season that they didn’t spend this season. Right off the bat they have $23 million for CC Sabathia, $22.5 million for Mark Teixeira and $16.5 million for A.J. Burnett.

Alex Rodriguez’s salary will rise by $5 million, Robinson Cano’s by $3 million, Chien-Ming Wang’s by $1 million. Add $5.4 million for newcomer Nick Swisher and a net of $2.7 million for Marte. Those eight players will be paid $79 million that wasn’t on the payroll this year.

Add $79 million to the $7.2 million in buyouts, and we almost wipe out the $88.5 million the Yankee claim. If Pettitte signs for $10 million, the new money will exceed the departed money, even if it is $88.5 million.

But it’s all the Yankees’ money, and as far as I’m concerned, they can spend it any way they want.

The average annual value of 14 Yankees’ contracts already signed (in millions):
Rodriguez

$27.50
Sabathia

Teixeira

Jeter

Burnett

Rivera

Posada

Damon

Matsui

Cano

Swisher

Chien-Ming Wang

Marte

Molina

Total

2009 Tax Threshold

I doubt you have either, asshole...

I doubt you have either, asshole...

Sure he has...just before they open it up for karaoke night.
© RKMBs