RKMBs
Posted By: rex Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 1:44 AM
From newsarama

Holy shit. I've never bought a JLA comic but if they are really following through with this I will buy every issue. I am sick of these goddamn six or so issues from a "superstar" writer or artist. I really hope this is a good long run.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 2:02 AM
Very good. I approve.
Posted By: Fused Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 2:17 AM
I'm jazzed about the Gail Simone run.
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 3:02 AM
Busiek wrote some good JLA stories for the first series. I have moderate hopes for this one.
Posted By: woodstock Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 3:36 AM
Quote:

Fused said:
I'm jazzed about the Gail Simone run.

Which may not even get published, apparently.
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 3:43 AM
how's that?
Posted By: rex Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 3:44 AM
I thought Gails run was going to be a limited series?
Posted By: woodstock Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 3:47 AM
There's one more rotating arc after Busiek before he goes full on, apparently, by dan slott and dan jurgens.

And what's his name editor said other stories would be in a new title or something....

So I guess it will get published, but its just a matter of when. They're probably going to start a "Legends of the JLA" series that will tank after 12 issues.
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:04 AM
Yes, Good. I was sick of the rotating crap...
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:18 AM
Which is funny, because we only got through a couple creators.
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:18 AM
After Waid's run, everything went down the crapper.

Except Obsidian Age. That was tight.
Posted By: Rue de Nocturne Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:31 AM
But they sunk Atlantis again..which sucks... Atlantis underwater is dumb.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:34 AM
Truth told, it went down the crapper during Waid's run. Very disappointing overall. Some beautiful Hitch art, though.

Kelly had some interesting ideas, but got too lost within his own plotlines. Too sprawling and messy, Obsidian Age would've worked better had it been shorter.

Ron Garney? Ugh. Why can't they get a good artist on the book?
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:35 AM
Quote:

Grimm said:
Truth told, it went down the crapper during Waid's run. Very disappointing overall. Some beautiful Hitch art, though.

I loved the Superman/Man story and his treatment of Plastic Man throughout. That made the book all the more enjoyable for me... Plus, Heaven's Ladder was quite good.
Posted By: Rue de Nocturne Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:35 AM
Yeah, Wiad's run was overrated..Waid hasn't written anything good in about 10 years....
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:39 AM
I think Obsidian Age is excellent. Especially when the new JLA takes over (which should have been permanent), and the entire world is in chaos. Brilliant.
Posted By: Grimm Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:52 AM
Good concepts, sure. But he never did anything with them. It's like "oh, they're here, now they're gone." Makes it rather pointless.
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:57 AM
Isn't that why he's doing Justice League Elite?
Posted By: Grimm Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 4:58 AM
No, that's a whole different ball of wax.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 5:41 AM
Less Kelly. More Simone. I'm beginning to think things are turning for the better over at DC.

Also don't forget Birds goes bi.........weekly for the next couple of months and Gail also has a Legion arc on the way.

I don't really care for Busiak. Don't get me wrong I get where he is coming from but he just don't make me want to buy his comics.
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 5:43 AM
With the "new" JLA in Obsidian Age, the premise is that the JLA has disappeared, presumed dead for the time being, and these guys who clearly aren't the JLA we're all used to have the responsibility of saving the world.

This JLElite, on the otherhand, is the return of a superhero team Joe Kelly used an issue in his Action Comics as a commentary on The Authority. It was a popular issue, but it doesn't warrant this.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 5:57 AM
Piss on Joe Kelly.
Quote:

Disco Steve said:
With the "new" JLA in Obsidian Age, the premise is that the JLA has disappeared, presumed dead for the time being, and these guys who clearly aren't the JLA we're all used to have the responsibility of saving the world.

That's a lot like what happened over ten years ago in the Titans Hunt, when all the Titans get abducted a new team of newbies steps in, only it lasted like a year.
Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 7:20 AM
Was it any good?
Yep. I made a lame review about it a short while ago.
Posted By: Fused Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 7:46 AM
I respect Busiek, but the man's a fossil. It was ok for comic book characters to talk like that 20 years ago, but dialogue has evolved since then. The whole 'talk what your thinking or about to do' style has gone the way of the dinosaur. Good writers leave some storytelling to the artist to portay thoughts, emotions and action and even collaborate with them to make a good comic book. Busiek has Claremont syndrome and he's just sometimes painful to read.
Whle I'm nto much of a fan of Busiek's work generally, I admit he can do superheroes.

Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Birds goes bi.........

I saw a video by that name once.
Posted By: ShazamGrrl1 Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 8:15 AM
Four words, used in the Obsidian Age arc, turned me off of Kelly's run.

"Stupid wisdom of Solomon."

I mean, I know Geoff Johns is a character hog but come on!! He could have let Kelly borrow Captain Marvel, one of the few Superman-level heroes in the DCU, just for this story, but nnnnnnoooooooooo!!! Kelly had to resort to using a revamped and renamed Apache Chief <<coughManitouRavencough>> and some newbie who looked and sounded like a refugee from Buffy the Vampire Slayer <coughFaithcough>>!

(BTW, the reason I call Johns a "character hog" is once he sticks a hero or villain in one of "his" books, they can't appear anywhere else, no matter who asks. He's the reason Giffen wound up using Mary Marvel in FKatJL, instead of Power Girl as originally planned.)
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 8:52 AM
I like Manitou Raven! When he said "Inokchuk" for the first time I literally squealed with delight.
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:04 AM
As did I! Any reference to the Apache Chief is a good reference!
Posted By: Fused Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:09 AM
Posted By: Fused Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:10 AM
Posted By: Chewy Walrus Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:11 AM
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:45 AM
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
As did I! Any reference to the Apache Chief is a good reference!

Quite. I'm hoping Busiek puts the Wonder Twins on the team. The revamped Wonder Twins was, quite possibly, the only redeeming quality of Extreme Justice.
The Wonder Twins can't be the redeeming quality of anything.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:36 PM
Quote:

Fused said:

Very good. I approve.
Posted By: woodstock Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-15 9:39 PM
Seanbaby is hilarious...

And I think Busiek will be great for this. He may have been lagging in recent years, but with Conan, Superman: Secret Identity, and Arrowsmith he has proven that he is back at the top of his game.
Quote:

Dave said:
Whle I'm nto much of a fan of Busiek's work generally, I admit he can do superheroes.

Read his and Carlos Pacheco's ARROWSMITH? I caught it in TPB last week and was very pleasantly surprised by what I thought would merely be a decent book...
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-16 11:49 AM
I haven't read it. Is it good?
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-16 8:05 PM
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
The Wonder Twins can't be the redeeming quality of anything.

BLASPHEMER!!
Posted By: whomod Re: Busiek on JLA for the long run? - 2004-07-20 12:45 PM
Quote:

Grimm said:

Ron Garney? Ugh. Why can't they get a good artist on the book?

Heh.

I just got that issue from the shop.

At first I thought DC was channelling the ghost of Don Heck.

I still have bad memories of picking up those beautiful Perez covers to "Crisis on Earth Prime" only to be dissapointed by the Don Heck chicken scratchings inside.
© RKMBs