Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
Dude. I just made a point for your side. How fucking retarded are you?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

400+ posts
400+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: 655321
yes, what is the problem? if they are both consenting adults, who cares what the make up of the relationship is? it doesn't hurt me in any way for 3 people to be married to each other. or 2 brothers.

also, i'm not arguing this from the view of being constitutionally protected right. the constitution is all well and good but it's not the basis from which we derive our rights. we are born with them. so, as long as the actions of a person do not infringe on the rights of others, it shouldn't be illegal.

Puddin', I think you may very well be mentally retarded.

Both polygamy and incest are illegal because they have a way of thickening up the blood.
jesus fucking christ! do you understand anything about rights? or do you just listen to what the govt says is 'wrong' and 'right'? because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong, AS IN IF IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF ANOTHER, IT SHOULDN'T BE ILLEGAL. polygamy and incest between consenting adults doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else, there is no reason for it to be illegal. that's the fucking point, you moron. god damn, you are either exceedingly retarded or you enjoy being controlled by the govt and others and can't figure out why someone would have a problem with that.

State Is Murder.
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Darling, I'm telling you why it's illegal. And at that point, you're supposed to explain how the reason for its illegality is bullshit.

I'm well aware that all laws are theoretical in nature. I, for instance, believe anti-trust laws are absolute bullshit.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
yes, what is the problem? if they are both consenting adults, who cares what the make up of the relationship is? it doesn't hurt me in any way for 3 people to be married to each other. or 2 brothers.

also, i'm not arguing this from the view of being constitutionally protected right. the constitution is all well and good but it's not the basis from which we derive our rights. we are born with them. so, as long as the actions of a person do not infringe on the rights of others, it shouldn't be illegal.

Puddin', I think you may very well be mentally retarded.

Both polygamy and incest are illegal because they have a way of thickening up the blood.
jesus fucking christ! do you understand anything about rights? or do you just listen to what the govt says is 'wrong' and 'right'? because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong, AS IN IF IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF ANOTHER, IT SHOULDN'T BE ILLEGAL. polygamy and incest between consenting adults doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else, there is no reason for it to be illegal. that's the fucking point, you moron. god damn, you are either exceedingly retarded or you enjoy being controlled by the govt and others and can't figure out why someone would have a problem with that.

Now, not to side with Pariah, BUT incest COULD conceivably be construed as having the potential to infringe on anothers' rights; if a handicapped or deficient baby was born to said incestuous couple, his rights to exist could suffer.

All hail King Snarf!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Polygamy and incest are already illegal.

And, in most places, so is gay marriage. And each one is illegal wholly by legistative act of the government in defining which marital relations are legal and which aren't.

If courts start striking down gay marriage, on the idea that it's a "right," or "privilege," it becomes more and more difficult for courts to uphold the statutes that make incest and polygamy illegal.

Originally Posted By: Snarf
BUT incest COULD conceivably be construed as having the potential to infringe on anothers' rights; if a handicapped or deficient baby was born to said incestuous couple, his rights to exist could suffer.

But genetic testing can be used to rule out birth defects. Furthermore not all couples want to have kids. Suppose a brother and sister want to get married and are sterile (either naturally or due to surgery, like a vascectomy). Does that mean they have a "right" to marriage?

Finally, there's the fact that, under current constitutional jurisprudence, people have a right to procreate regardless of the possibility of birth defects or a genetic history of particular illnesses. Combine that precedent with the arguement that marriage is a right that can't be abridged and there's not much rationale left to ban incest.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

And, in most places, so is gay marriage. And each one is illegal wholly by legistative act of the government in defining which marital relations are legal and which aren't.

If courts start striking down gay marriage, on the idea that it's a "right," or "privilege," it becomes more and more difficult for courts to uphold the statutes that make incest and polygamy illegal.

BUT incest COULD conceivably be construed as having the potential to infringe on anothers' rights; if a handicapped or deficient baby was born to said incestuous couple, his rights to exist could suffer.

But genetic testing can be used to rule out birth defects. Furthermore not all couples want to have kids. Suppose a brother and sister want to get married and are sterile (either naturally or due to surgery, like a vascectomy). Does that mean they have a "right" to marriage?

Finally, there's the fact that, under current constitutional jurisprudence, people have a right to procreate regardless of the possibility of birth defects or a genetic history of particular illnesses. Combine that precedent with the arguement that marriage is a right that can't be abridged and there's not much rationale left to ban incest.

Here's the problem with what your saying G-man, to me your saying it's OK to deny one group of Americans access to legal marriage because then it opens a door to other groups. We don't argue that we can't let 18 year olds the right to get married because it will open the door to 17 year olds. The other groups are not the same as gays getting married. Incest or polygamy won't become OK because gays were judged on their own merits.

Fair play!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
You have access to marriage. All men and women are treated equally. We are all allowed to marry members of the opposite sex.

I can't go and take a piss in the women's restroom, just because I want to.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I mean if I wanted to.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yes BSAMS I know I could marry a woman but I'm gay so I'm interested in getting legal access to marry someone from the same sex. Your wanting to pee in the ladies room is unrelated to this topic.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
No it's not. If a man wants to pee, he has to pee in the mens room. If a man wants to marry, he has to marry a woman. It doesn't matter if the man's preference is the ladies room. We have laws that often do not cater to preferences. Laws cannot be changed on preference.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
No it's not. If a man wants to pee, he has to pee in the mens room. If a man wants to marry, he has to marry a woman. It doesn't matter if the man's preference is the ladies room. We have laws that often do not cater to preferences. Laws cannot be changed on preference.

There is a history of groups challenging laws that many at the time fought to keep in place. Laws can always be changed, unfair ones like the ones concerning gay marriage should be changed.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

You're retarded. Literally retarded. It honestly scares me that you are part of the government. Posts like these are the reason why you are too cowardly to say you're real name.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I always assumed he was Jim J Bullock.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Here's the problem with what your saying G-man, to me your saying it's OK to deny one group of Americans access to legal marriage because then it opens a door to other groups. We don't argue that we can't let 18 year olds the right to get married because it will open the door to 17 year olds. The other groups are not the same as gays getting married. Incest or polygamy won't become OK because gays were judged on their own merits.

But, MEM, the differences you're describing between different groups, and the merits of allowing each certain privileges, are based on legislative decisions, not judicial ones. I've said I'm not against gay marriage if enacted legislatively. Legislatures can, and do, draw distinctions based on public policy.

Courts, on the other hand, create rulings that are precedential they can't so easily draw the distinctions you describe due to their differing role and powers in government. Therefore, I'm simply saying that gay marriage should be created legislatively, not judicially, to avoid creating rights in other, less benign, areas.

And Jm J. Bullock was the bomb on the Ted Knight show. Yo!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Also I agree if a state legislature or referendum allows for gay marriage I don;t think a judge should overturn it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yep. It's an issue for the legislatures not the courts in either case.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,450884,00.html

Quote:
An elderly woman who attended a gay rights protest carrying a cross to voice her support of the new California ban on gay marriage says she was attacked by demonstrators and now may press charges.

Palm Springs Police Department spokesman Sgt. Mitch Spike told FOXNews.com no arrests had been made as of Thursday evening and added that victim Phyllis Burgess still is deciding whether she'll press assault charges.

"The investigation is proceeding as it should," Spike said.

Asked if the charges could be elevated to include hate crime penalties, Spike told FOXNews.com, "That's a possibility. That's one of the things we're looking at."

Carrying a large, foam cross, Burgess, 69, showed up at a rally last Friday against Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage approved this month by California voters.

She was there to show her belief in traditional marriage, she said.

Within minutes, however, angry protesters swarmed around the Palm Springs resident, yanked the cross from her hands and trampled on it, as seen in a video of the incident posted on YouTube.

"I guess I didn’t see the gravity of the whole thing and how it was being portrayed to the public," Burgess told The Desert Sun newspaper. "People are incensed. They seem to want some kind of justice."
Related

If charges are filed, Spike said prosecution could be difficult because the alleged suspect or suspects seen in the video has not been identified.

"We haven't been able to identify everyone in that video," Spike told FOXNews.com.

Of course they couldn't identify them.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
"I guess I didn’t see the gravity of the whole thing and how it was being portrayed to the public," Burgess told The Desert Sun newspaper. "People are incensed. They seem to want some kind of justice."

How dare the gays!

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
So your saying it's okay to assault someone for having a different opinion?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
So your saying it's okay to assault someone for having a different opinion?

No but I think she was stupid for trying to rub it in their faces. This is a bigger issue for those that lost the right to marry than those that voted for the proposition.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2008-11-14 1:18 AM.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Gay guys hate it when women rub it in their faces.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
\:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They seem to want some kind of justice."

Like how Hitler wanted justice against the Jews!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
People just don't understand how tough you people have it. Perhaps you need bigger styrafoam crosses?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'd prefer that the courts simply stop inferring and enforcing special rights upon incensed demographics that complain enough for them.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's just so awful to have judges make legal decisions isn't it!

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Especially when they go against the will of the people!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not to mention the constitution!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I think the important thing about that article is how tough sounding the detective's name is. Mitch Spike. Sounds like it could be an action show for ABC.

Coming this fall... Prepare to get Spiked! Mitch Spike, P.I.!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But at least MEM agrees that the courts hand out special rights to anyone who complains enough.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Especially when they go against the will of the people!

When it comes to rights I don't agree.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Since when was marriage a right?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

The legal license that the government hands out to anyone as long as they have the government's approved plumbing should also be availlable to me & the boyfriend.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Should?

This isn't about plumbing. It's about how you want to compromise the effectiveness of the institution of marriage by implementing it in a counter intuitive manner.

Marriage, as it interacts with the government, is designed to stabilize and optimize a growing population by supporting the family unit. Handing out marriage contracts to couples that you know for a fact can't or won't have kids would be detrimental to marriage as an institution. Even if a gay couple were to have kids through adoption or artificial insemination, they'd have all the preparatory time required to take care of a baby. Straight couples on the other hand, will not, and should not, be told by the government to monitor their reproduction habits.

Like most homosexuals in California, you're being irrational and reactionary. Stop it.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

The legal license that the government hands out to anyone as long as they have the government's approved plumbing should also be availlable to me & the boyfriend.

But it isn't. You can keep arguing shoulds and coulds all you want but it won't change a thing. You wanna marry your boyfriend? Start a petition. Use your power as citizen to change things. That's how things work here. Power doesn't come from mayors or judges. It comes from the people. If you really want to change things you can.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

But it isn't. You can keep arguing shoulds and coulds all you want but it won't change a thing. You wanna marry your boyfriend? Start a petition. Use your power as citizen to change things. That's how things work here. Power doesn't come from mayors or judges. It comes from the people. If you really want to change things you can.

All that stuff is being done Rex but the courts are also part of the process of getting it done.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
How?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Courts are for upholding the law, not creating it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
All that stuff is being done Rex but the courts are also part of the process of getting it done.

The courts are not apart of the democratic process. You're just trying to circumvent the system you agreed to abide by but are now reneging on.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard