RKMBs
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 12:18 AM
I'm curious to see what people think about this.

Should it be an American military court?

Should it be an international criminal court?

Should it be an Iraqi court?
Posted By: rexstardust Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 12:26 AM
I think Iraq should, but I think the outcome will be the same.
Posted By: KrazyXXXDJ Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 12:38 AM
I think it should be some international crime court. We can't do it ourselves...it would make us look bad.

I think Iraq would be too biased - either "for Saddam", or too harsh on him - to give him a fair trail (not that he deserves one)...
Posted By: Pariah Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 12:45 AM
I'm not sure. Iraq has every right to be the one that judges him, but....... [eh... i dunno... ]
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 1:14 AM
Here is another question: should Iran be involved in his trial? He was responsible for the Iran-Iraq war in the 80s, which caused the deaths of millions.
Posted By: PJP Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 1:44 AM
The Iraqis should and probably will try him.......Iran should not be involved that evidence of the Iran-Iraq war will be a part of the trial without their involvement.

.....However I want the Americans to gaurd him until the trial is over.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 1:58 AM
I think there is little doubt of that. It wouldn't surprise me if he is whisked off to Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean for a while. I doubt we'll hear much about him while he is interrogated for a few months.

I'm really hoping that he gets handed over to the Hague, like Milosevic. I don't trust an Iraqi Sharia court. I would like Iraqi jurists to be on the panel. I don't think American, Australian, Polish or British judges or prosecutors should be involved. There should be no perception of a victor's justice, or a kangaroo court.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 2:11 AM
I think it should be an international court. How to go about deligating who actually tries him personally, however, is beyond me. Far too many hidden hands.
Posted By: PJP Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 2:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
I think there is little doubt of that. It wouldn't surprise me if he is whisked off to Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean for a while. I doubt we'll hear much about him while he is interrogated for a few months.

I'm really hoping that he gets handed over to the Hague, like Milosevic. I don't trust an Iraqi Sharia court. I would like Iraqi jurists to be on the panel. I don't think American, Australian, Polish or British judges or prosecutors should be involved. There should be no perception of a victor's justice, or a kangaroo court.

I wouldn't mind if he goes to the Hague......cause more than likely wherever he is tried.....the outcome will be the same.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 2:25 AM
There is no death penalty in the Inernational Criminal Court at the Hague.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 2:31 AM
I dont exactly trust international tribunals, remember it was the international community who thought it was unjust to remove from power a genocidal maniac, so their record of judegement is a little screwy.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 2:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by britneyspearsatemyshorts:
I dont exactly trust international tribunals, remember it was the international community who thought it was unjust to remove from power a genocidal maniac, so their record of judegement is a little screwy.

You forgotten Aussies, Brits and Poles were out there in the desert too?

In any event, courts don't follow the will of the people like governments.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:07 AM
I didnt forget, we (Aussies,Brits,Poles ect.) are in the minority of the international community, the majority believed his killings were ok as long as it wasnt in their backyard....
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by britneyspearsatemyshorts:
I didnt forget, we (Aussies,Brits,Poles ect.) are in the minority of the international community, the majority believed his killings were ok as long as it wasnt in their backyard....

No, the majority didn't believe that anyone had shown that Saddam had WMDs, and that in the absence of such evidence this was not a good reason to go to war.

No one said anything about Saddam's genocidal history as being the main reason for an invasion until WMDs weren't popping up.

Anyway, the idea is for judges to judge Saddam, not judge Bush on whether or not there should have been a war. Different issues.

Carla de la Ponte is the chief prosecutor in the Hague. She must be rubbing her little Spanish hands in gleeful anticipation.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:31 AM
i think there were alot of people metioning his genocidal history as a reason to remove him, the WMD were used as for the timing of removing him.....
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:40 AM
This fellow seems to be a good choice for judge.

-

Bub.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Jaburg53:

-

Bub.

actually he's not, i mean soldiers came into the mansion and he gutted as many as he could, then when theyre are surround by police and Pyro saves their ass he gets all pissy, i think he's a hypocrite!
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:50 AM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 4:48 AM
Darn your fancy lawyer talk, Dave.
Posted By: Rob Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 5:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Jaburg53:

-

he actually sorta resembles the guy they just captured!

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
There is no death penalty in the Inernational Criminal Court at the Hague.

the UN reiterated their stance today, saying that if the trial fell before them, they would (could) not support an execution.

personally, unless the gulag from kingdom come is complete, i think the best decision should be letting the new iraqi government decid, when they finally take over (i'm assuming the trial wouldn't start until next year anyway).

i mean, i'd like the trial to be held in the states, but... perception would horrible, with all the obvious bias -- perhaps even enough to have a decision later turned over.

its not worth the chance of extra time and effort (and expense) for personal satisfaction. let it be done as fairly has possible.

i do know that whatever decision is made, dubya will be accused of more cartoonish super villainy.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 6:48 AM
And he would have got away with it if not for those meddling French!

I discussed this with a mate of mine in the gym today. He doesn't think the Hague will get to try Saddam, because the US has spent so much time ensuring that its soliders are not able to be tried there. Sending Saddam there will give it legitmacy.

One big benefit for a trial in Iraq is that it will give a fair justice system a chance. The Iraqi people will learn how a real justice system is supposed to work.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 8:17 AM
I think the ones who deserve to try Saddam are the Iraqi people. From what I understand, though, their court system is not solid enough yet to credibly handle such a case without a question of prejudice.
There's also the stigma that the present Iraqi government is seen throughout the Arab world as a puppet government to the whims of the United States. Perhaps if the trial is held more than six months from now, after the people of Iraq have voted to elect their first government.

I think an international court of some kind would be best, but not the Hague, for reasons stated by others above.

But ultimately, I'd like to see TWO trials of Saddam: one international, and one inside Iraq.

Even if the Iraqi trial is just largely symbolic. I think it would be a cathartic end for the Iraqi people to Saddam's 30-year era in Iraq's government.

quote:
Originally posted Rob Kamphausen:

...i do know that whatever decision is made, dubya will be accused of more cartoonish super villainy.

Ain't it the truth.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 8:22 AM
Yes, I agree: kind of like the Truth Commission in South Africa.
Posted By: jafabian Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 8:25 AM
al Qaida should.

Then when Osama bin Laden comes out of the mountains as judge we nail da bastard!!!
Posted By: Chant Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 3:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
al Qaida should.

Then when Osama bin Laden comes out of the mountains as judge we nail da bastard!!!

hmmm, that might work [wink]
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 5:18 PM
I would think an international court, such as the kind held at Nuremberg in 1945/46 should be assembled to try Hussein.

Now, for an interesting twist...why not try to flip Saddam for bin Laden? You know, cut Saddam's sentence to life in prison if he gives credible info leading to bin Laden's capture?

Jim
Posted By: Rob Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 7:11 PM
judge judy could get'em both in 15 minutes with commercials.

she's the boss, apple sauce.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-15 10:34 PM
I agree with dave the Wonder Boy. The Iraqi people should have their shot at a trial, but they aren't ready for something like that yet.

If not the Hague, then who internationally? The coalition are not an internationally recognised group witht eh right to carry such a trial out.

If it's an international trial, he wouldn't be executed, but where would he be kept? I can't see him slopping out his bucket in block c every morning. Is the bastard just going to spend the rest of his life in a hotel room?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-17 1:39 AM
I'd be more confident in the Hague's ability to try him if not for the fact it's taken them approximately years to try Milosevic with still no end in sight.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-17 1:42 AM
I say shoot him in the head. Quick,easy,cheap!
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2003-12-17 6:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by the G-man:
I'd be more confident in the Hague's ability to try him if not for the fact it's taken them approximately years to try Milosevic with still no end in sight.

That's because they're trying to give him a fair trial.

The Economist reports British Government concerns with an Iraqi tribunal. Political pressure by the UK on the Iraqi interim ruling council has brought about a war tribunal with a right of appeal and a right to legal representation, which wasn't guaranteed before. They are really worried about the trials becoming the equivalent of Soviet show trials of the 30s and 50s: no rule of law, lots of bluster, and summary executions.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2004-01-13 3:31 AM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2005-10-19 9:58 PM
Saddam Hussein's first trial for crimes against humanity got under way in Iraq today, though it quickly adjourned until next month:

[Presiding judge Rizgar Mohammed] Amin, a Kurd, tried to get Saddam to formally identify himself but Saddam refused and finally sat. . . .

The other defendants include Saddam's former intelligence chief Barazan Ibrahim, former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan and other lower-level Baathist civil servants. . . .

Ramadan also refused to identify himself to the judge.

"I repeat what President Saddam Hussein has said," he added.

At which point, I imagine, Saddam shouted, "You idiot! Now they know my name!"

Posted By: the G-man Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2005-10-19 9:59 PM
Meanwhile, it appears that some Europeans still think Saddam should've been tried by an international court:

A United Nations judge has criticized the trial of former dictator Saddam Hussein by an Iraqi special court, saying Monday it would have been better to task an international court with the case.

Wolfgang Schomburg, a German who sits on U.N. tribunals trying war crimes in former Yugoslavia and Rwanda, said the Iraqi court, advised as it was by U.S. lawyers, had some features of "victors' justice."

In an interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur, Schomburg said the world could have set up a special court for Saddam.

"Since the United States does not cooperate with the permanent court of international criminal justice in The Hague, a tribunal supported by the international community as a whole would have had to be set up, as happened with Yugoslavia, Rwanda and Sierra Leone."

Reuters, meanwhile, brings us a report on the Yugoslavia tribunal:

The trial of Slobodan Milosevic may take another 4 to 5 years if the former Yugoslav president accused of genocide gets his way, the prosecutor of the U.N. war crimes tribunal said on Tuesday.

Milosevic wants to call almost 200 witnesses for his defence case, prosecutor Geoffrey Nice said. They include former U.S. President Bill Clinton and British Prime Minister Tony Blair. . . .

The trial, that began in February 2002, has been repeatedly delayed due to his heart condition and high blood pressure.

Prosecutors have tried to speed up proceedings by asking the court to consider working four or five days a week instead of three. The request was rejected due to Milosevic's health. . . .

The court is supposed to complete all cases, including appeals, by the end of 2010.

If the Iraqis had gone with a Hague-style tribunal, Saddam Hussein would probably die of old age before he could be executed for his crimes.
I really think that this could make a great new sitcom.
I'm thinking NBC, maybe get Kramer to play the lawyer.
Posted By: theory9 Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2005-10-20 12:01 AM
Is this the first instance of a formerly enslaved (couldn't think of a better word) country trying its own dictators?
Quote:

theory9 said:
Is this the first instance of a formerly enslaved (couldn't think of a better word) country trying its own dictators?

Nixon resigned and Ford pardoned him before he could be tried.
Posted By: Rob Re: Saddam Co-Defendant's Lawyer Kidnapped - 2005-10-21 12:37 AM
Saddam Co-Defendant's Lawyer Kidnapped
By OMAR SINAN, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Ten masked gunmen kidnapped the lawyer for one of Saddam Hussein's co-defendants Thursday, police said. Saadoun Sughaiyer al-Janabi, who was in the courtroom for Wednesday's opening session of the trial, is one of two lawyers for Awad Hamed al-Bandar, one of seven Baath Party officials being tried with Saddam.
Posted By: the G-man Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2005-12-05 6:02 PM
Saddam's victims ready to testify

At least 10 victims of Saddam Hussein's brutal regime are to face the former dictator today and testify to his role in the 1982 killings of more than 140 people, officials close to the tribunal said.

Iraqi national security adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie's office said yesterday that police had foiled a Sunni plot to bomb the courthouse. The statement said the 1920 Revolution Brigades had planned to rocket the building, the Associated Press reported.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2005-12-05 11:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051205/ap_o...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Quote:

Saddam: 'I Am Not Afraid of Execution'
By HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq -
Saddam Hussein told the judge at his trial Monday that "I am not afraid of execution" during a chaotic court session in which the first witness took the stand and testified that the former president's agents carried out random arrests, torture and killings. The outburst was one of several by Saddam or his co-defendants at the trial that also saw a brief walkout by his defense lawyers.

At one point, Saddam appeared to threaten the judge, saying: "When the revolution of the heroic Iraq arrives, you will be held accountable."

Chief Judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin replied: "This is an insult to the court. We are searching for the truth."

Earlier, however, Saddam told the court he understood the pressures upon the judges and defended his actions. He and his seven co-defendants could be executed if convicted on the charges stemming from the deaths of more than 140 Shiites in 1982.

Before the trial adjourned until Tuesday, Saddam repeatedly interrupted testimony and appeared to try to rally Iraqis against the U.S. occupation.

"This game must not continue, if you want Saddam Hussein's neck, you can have it!" Saddam said. "I have exercised my constitutional prerogatives after I had been the target of an armed attack.

"I am not afraid of execution," said Saddam, who then addressed the judge, saying, "I realize there is pressure on you and I regret that I have to confront one of my sons. But I'm not doing it for myself. I'm doing it for Iraq. I'm not defending myself. But I am defending you."

When the first witness Ahmed Hassan Mohammed spoke, Saddam told him: "Do not interrupt me, son."

"If it's ever established that Saddam Hussein laid a hand on any Iraqi, then everything that witness said is correct," he said.

He also told the court that he "would like (the witness) to be examined by an independent medical institution."

Amin had a difficult time keeping order during several clashes between the witnesses and the accused, with Saddam and his co-defendant and half brother, Barazan Ibrahim, gesturing and shouting together. In one instance, Saddam pointed to the sky with his right hand while he held Islam's holy book, the Quran, in his left.

"Everyone must remain calm and be civil," he said repeatedly.

At one point, Saddam and Ibrahim became so angry while Saddam sparred verbally with the judge and a second witness, Jawad Abdul-Azziz Jawad, that guards tried to calm them. Ibrahim smacked them on the hands with a notebook.

Saddam himself became so angry that he threw some papers he was holding, and they eventually landed on the floor.

Earlier, former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, who is helping represent Saddam, sought to address the court, touching off an argument that led to the walkout by the defense team.

Amin at first said only Saddam's chief lawyer, Khalil al-Dulaimi, could speak. Amin said the defense should submit its motion in writing and warned that if the defense walked out then the court would appoint replacement lawyers.

After the defense lawyers left, Saddam, shaking his right hand, told the judge: "You are imposing lawyers on us. They are imposed lawyers. The court is imposed by itself. We reject that."

Saddam and Ibrahim then chanted "Long live Iraq, long live the Arab state."

Ibrahim stood up and shouted: "Why don't you just execute us and get rid of all of this!"

When the judge explained that he was ruling in accordance with the law, Saddam replied: "This is a law made by America and does not reflect Iraqi sovereignty."

It was the third court session in the trial of Saddam and seven co-defendants — accused in the 1982 killings after an assassination attempt against the president in Dujail — where Saddam at times appeared to be in control of the court as much as the presiding judge.

After the lawyers spoke, Mohammed began his emotional but often rambling testimony. He said that after an assassination attempt on Saddam, security agencies took people of all ages, from 14 to more than 70. They were tortured for 70 days at intelligence headquarters in Baghdad before being moved to Abu Ghraib prison where the abuse continued, he said.

"There were mass arrests. Women and men. Even if a child was 1-day-old, they used to tell his parents, 'Bring him with you,'" Mohammed said. He said he was taken to a security center where "I saw bodies of people from Dujail."

"They were martyrs I knew," Mohammed said, giving the names of the nine whose bodies were there.

The second witness, Jawad, who was only 10 when the assassination attempt occurred, testified how Iraqi troops used helicopters to attack the city and bulldozers to destroy the fields.

Jawad said Saddam's regime killed three of his brothers, one before the assassination attempt and two after.

When al-Dulaimi asked how someone who was 10 could remember such details, Jawad said "a 3-year-old child remembers a lot. An elementary school student does not forget if a teacher slapped him in the face. I live a catastrophe."

After the walkout and a 90-minute recess to resolve the issue, the court reconvened and Amin allowed Clark and ex-Qatari Justice Minister Najib al-Nueimi to speak on the questions of the legitimacy of the tribunal and safety of the lawyers.

"Reconciliation is essential," Clark told the court. "This trial can either divide or heal. And unless it is seen as absolutely fair, and as absolutely fair in fact, it will irreconcilably divide the people of Iraq."

At that point, the judge reminded Clark that he was to speak only about the security guarantees for the defense lawyers — two of whom have been assassinated since the trial began Oct. 19.

Clark then said all parties were entitled to protection, and the measures offered to protect the defense and their families were "absurd." He said that without such protection, the judicial system would collapse.

Al-Nueimi then spoke about the legitimacy issue, arguing that court is not independent and was in fact set up under the U.S.-led occupation rather than by a legal Iraqi government. He said the language of the statute was unchanged from that promulgated by the former top U.S. administrator in Iraq, L. Paul Bremer, and was therefore "illegitimate."

The first witness had exchanged insults with Ibrahim, Saddam's half brother, telling him "you killed a 14-year-old boy."

"To hell," Ibrahim replied.

"You and your children go to hell," the witness replied.

The judge then asked them to avoid such exchanges.

As the testimony continued, Saddam's lawyers objected that someone in the visitors' gallery was making threatening gestures and should be removed. Ibrahim leapt to his feet, spat in the direction of the gallery, and shouted, "These are criminals."

The judge ordered the person removed from the gallery and questioned.

Mohammed, fighting back tears, described how there had been "random arrests in the streets, all the forces of the (Baath) party, and Thursday became `Judgment Day' and Dujail has become a battle front."

"Shootings started and nobody could leave or enter Dujail. At night, intelligence agents arrived headed by Barazan" Ibrahim, he said.

Ibrahim interrupted him at one point, saying: "I am a patriot and I was the head of the intelligence service of Iraq."

At the start of Monday's session, Saddam walked into the court with a smile, carrying a copy of the Quran and greeted everyone there. Most of the defendants and several of the defense lawyers, including Clark, stood up out of respect when Saddam entered.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2005-12-13 8:33 PM
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2005-12-14 8:06 AM
I confess I haven't followed the trial closely. It's really kind of a show from what I've seen. It's real purpose is to provide propaganda for the Administration showing 'we brought Saddam to justice'. And I'm okay with that.

I wonder if anyone has thought about the sentencing of the guy. He may be a killer, but show me a head of state in any major power that hasn't got blood on his hands. Is executing a former head of state such a good idea? Think of the precident. Who amongst them wouldn't have a warrant waiting for them somewhere?
Posted By: the G-man Saddam Takes the Stand - 2006-03-15 3:50 PM
Saddam Hussein Takes the Stand

Saddam Hussein testified Wednesday for the first time at his trial, insisting he still was Iraq's leader and calling the proceedings a "comedy," but the chief judge closed the trial to the public because he said the defendant was making political speeches.

The deposed president, wearing a black suit and standing before the chief judge while reading his remarks, addressed the Iraqi people about the bloody wave of sectarian violence that has rocked the country since the bombing of a major Shiite shrine last month.

"What pains me most is what I heard recently about something that aims to harm our people," Saddam said. "My conscience tells me that the great people of Iraq have nothing to do with these acts."

Chief judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman interrupted Saddam, saying he was not allowed to give political speeches in the court.

"I am the head of state," Saddam replied.

"You used to be a head of state. You are a defendant now," Abdel-Rahman said.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam Takes the Stand - 2006-06-19 5:22 PM
Prosecution Asks For Death Penalty Against Saddam

A prosecutor has asked for the death penalty against former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and two of his co-defendants, saying today that the former Iraqi leader and his regime committed crimes against humanity in a “revenge” attack on Shiite civilians in the 1980s.

The closing arguments brought the eight-month-old Baghdad trial into its final phase, and after today's session, the court adjourned until July 10, when the defence will begin making its final summation.

Saddam, dressed in a black suit, sat silently, sometimes taking notes, as chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi delivered his arguments, listing the evidence against each of the eight defendants.

Concluding his remarks, al-Moussawi asked for the death penalty against Saddam, his half-brother Barzan Ibrahim and Taha Yassin Ramadan, a former senior regime member.

“They were spreading corruption on earth … and even the trees was not save from their oppression,” he said.

“Well done,” Saddam muttered sarcastically.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Saddam Takes the Stand - 2006-06-23 6:33 PM
Hardly surprising. Has there been any discussion on how he might be executed, I wonder?
Posted By: the G-man Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging - 2006-11-05 6:01 PM
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
Hardly surprising. Has there been any discussion on how he might be executed, I wonder?

Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging

Saddam Hussein, the iron-fisted dictator who ruled Iraq for nearly a quarter of a century, was found guilty of crimes against humanity Sunday and sentenced to death by hanging.

The so-called Butcher of Baghdad, who was president of Iraq from 1979 until he was deposed by Coalition forces in April 2003, was convicted of the 1982 killings of 148 Shiites in the city of Dujail.

The visibly shaken former leader shouted "God is great!" as Iraq's High Tribunal announced his sentence.

Saddam's half brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of the former Revolutionary Court, were sentenced to join Saddam on the gallows for the Dujail killings after an unsuccessful assassination attempt during a Saddam visit to the city 35 miles north of Baghdad.

The trial brought Saddam and his co-defendants before their accusers in what was one of the most highly publicized and heavily reported trials of its kind since the Nuremberg tribunals for members of Adolf Hitler's Nazi regime and its slaughter of 6 million Jews in the World War II Holocaust.
Posted By: dogbert Re: Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging - 2006-11-05 7:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061105/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Shiites praise, Sunnis protest verdict

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Shiites poured into the streets of the capital to rejoice at the death sentence for Saddam Hussein, but the former dictator's fellow Sunnis paraded through his hometown chanting, "We will avenge you Saddam."

Both Saddam and the Shiite prime minister who has sought his execution called on their countrymen on Sunday to end the sectarian violence that has pushed
Iraq to the brink of civil war, but the starkly differing reactions to the verdict and sentence throughout the country — though largely peaceful on Sunday — stoked fears that worse was to come.

In Sadr City, the Shiite stronghold of northeast Baghdad, youths took to the streets dancing and singing, despite a curfew declared for Sunday over the most restive parts of the country.

"Execute Saddam," they chanted. Many carried posters of Muqtada al-Sadr, the radical anti-American cleric whose Mahdi Army militia effectively runs the district.

"This is an unprecedented feeling of happiness," said 35-year-old Abu Sinan. "The verdict declares that Saddam is paying the price for murdering tens of thousands of Iraqis," he said.

Police said at least three people, including a two-year-old child, were killed and eight wounded in clashes between gunmen and Iraqi police in Baghdad's dominantly Sunni Azamiyah district. Residents said rockets and mortars began falling on the area beginning Saturday night and blamed Mahdi Army fighters.

Saddam was sentenced to death by Iraq's High Tribunal for crimes against humanity, along with his half brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of the former Revolutionary Court. Three other defendants received lesser sentences and one was acquitted.

"This is the fate of all those who violated the sanctity of the citizens and shed the honest blood. This is the disgraceful end to the person who brought ordeals, pains and reckless wars to this country," Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said in a television address to the nation following the verdict.

"I say to all deluded remnants of the previous regime: The period of Saddam and his party is gone as did other dictators' like Mussolini and Hitler," said al-Maliki, who was forced into exile during Saddam's rule.

He called for an end to sectarian violence. Saddam issued a similar call, said his lawyer, Khalil al-Dulaimi.

"His message to the Iraqi people was 'pardon and do not take revenge on the invading nations and their people,'" al-Dulaimi said. "The president also asked his countrymen to 'unify in the face of sectarian strife.'"

In Tikrit, deep in the Sunni heartland north of Baghdad where support for Saddam runs hand-in-hand with deep distrust of Iraq's new Shiite-dominated government, gunshots rang out from rooftops and street corners as Saddam addressed the court. Sunni insurgents with AK-47s and heavy machine guns paraded in scores of vehicles in defiance of the curfew. A crowd about 1,000, including some policemen and many people holding aloft pictures of Saddam, chanted: "We will avenge you Saddam."

"The violence will only rise in the area after the hanging of Saddam, but the Americans care nothing about spilled Iraqi blood," said Mohammed Abbas, a 60-year-old retired teacher. "We are tribal people ... when any ordinary member of our tribe is killed, we will kill one from the enemy tribe, to say nothing of an important person like Saddam," Abbas said.

The U.S. military announced the deaths Saturday of a soldier in fighting in western Baghdad and a Marine assigned to Regimental Combat Team 7, who died from non-hostile causes Saturday in Anbar province. At least 13 U.S. troops have died in Iraq this month.

Celebrations were heady but mostly peaceful throughout the predominantly Shiite south, where Saddam's elite Republican Guard massacred thousands during a failed uprising in 1991. A line of cars festooned with plastic flowers wound through the streets of the holy city of Najaf, and crowds burned portraits of Saddam and his family. Salih Mahdi said Saddam's sentencing would help heal the loss of his brother Ali, who was 22 when he was arrested in Saddam's 1982 crackdown on the Dawa party, then an underground opposition and now linked to the prime minister. Ali Mahdi has not been seen since.

Mahdi, a retired civil servant, cursed Saddam and sobbed, saying: "You are cruel and cowardly and it was our misfortune that you ruled and terrorized us."

Celebratory gunfire also rang out in Kurdish neighborhoods across the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, where 40-year-old Khatab Ahmed sat on a mattress in his living room to watch the trial coverage with his wife and six children.

"Thank God I lived to see the day when the criminals received their punishment," said Ahmed, a taxi driver.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging - 2006-11-05 11:29 PM
I posted it here almost 3 years ago, and I'll say it again:

Saddam ought to be crucified, it ought to be done in a large stadium where people can watch, get drunk, etc.

It ought to be televised. All news channels ought to carry it.

Of course, Rebok, Dell, and Budwieser ought to be the sponsors!

A lottery should be drawn to see which one of the lucky spectators gets to throw some rocks at Saddam while he's struggling and bleeding on the cross.

If they put a small seat on the cross to facilitate being able to breathe, Saddam ought to be up there for a few days, in agony and suffering.

But it would never make up for what he did.

Fun thought, though.
Posted By: Captain Sweden Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:36 AM
I hope for the peace in Iraq (no pun intended) for justice that Saddam will be tried for all his crime, at least those involving him being guilty for murder.
Posted By: Saddam Hussein Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:46 AM
Noooooooooo! Please! I want to negotiate!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:48 AM
Quote:

Saddam Hussein said:
Noooooooooo! Please! I want to negotiate!

Pretty soon your ghost will be an alt.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:49 AM
I wonder who'll come up with "Ghost of Saddam" as an alt?
Posted By: Saddam Hussein Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:53 AM
It can't be any worse than those "talking sex toys" so relax, guy!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:55 AM
Quote:

Saddam Hussein said:

Posted By: dogbert Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 1:58 AM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I wonder who'll come up with "Ghost of Saddam" as an alt?

Or Zombie Saddam?
Your spitball shooters can't hurt me anymore!

You're all fucked now!

AAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:10 AM
Wow. Iraqi justice is SWIFT
Posted By: dogbert Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:15 AM
Anybody have John Constantine's cel number?
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 2:17 AM
Quote:

Saddam Hussein's Ghost said:
Your spitball shooters can't hurt me anymore!

You're all fucked now!

AAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Damn that Saddam!! That was fast!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:18 AM
Quote:

dogbert said:

Either him, or call Ghostbusters!!!
Posted By: dogbert Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:24 AM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

dogbert said:

Either him, or call Ghostbusters!!!

Nah, Constantine didn't get a sequel.

If he does his job right, neither will Saddam.

(Pictures horror franchise featuring the ghost of Saddam murdering beutiful, nubile college girls in various ways)
Posted By: orgasm Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 2:46 AM
Quote:

Saddam Hussein said:

Talking sex toys? Oh please!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:46 AM
Oh, dear GOD, I can see the "Ghost of Saddam" horror movie franchise in about 16 years from now...

" When Ghost Saddam attacks!"

Part 16.

Rated "B" for boring!
Posted By: g-spot Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-06 2:46 AM
Yeah, really.
I hope the hangman does a good job. Saddam should should be well hung.
I'm disappointed he received death. But I'm hardly surprised.

The Pope (or, "Bendy", as I call him in private) and I agree on this:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2006/11/05/2252602-ap.html

Quote:

AP) - Saddam Hussein's death sentence was celebrated by some on Sunday as justice deserved or even divine, but denounced by others as a political ploy two days before critical U.S. midterm congressional elections.

Worldwide, the range of reactions - including a European outcry over capital punishment and doubts about the fairness of the tribunal that ordered Saddam to hang - reflected new geopolitical fault lines drawn after America's decision to invade Iraq in 2003 and depose its dictator.

The European Union welcomed the verdict but said Saddam should not be put to death. At the Vatican, Renato Cardinal Martino, Pope Benedict's top prelate for justice issues, called the sentence a throwback to "eye for an eye" vengeance.

"This is not the way to present the new Iraq to the world, which is different from Saddam, who was behind hundreds of thousands of deaths as well as death penalty sentences," said Hands Off Cain, an Italian organization working to rid the world of capital punishment.

Islamic leaders warned that executing Saddam could inflame those who revile the U.S., undermining President Bush's policy in the Middle East and inspiring terrorists.

"The hanging of Saddam Hussein will turn to hell for the Americans," said Vitaya Wisethrat, a respected Muslim cleric in Thailand, which has its own Islamic insurgency in the country's south.

"The Saddam case is not a Muslim problem but the problem of America and its domestic politics," he said. "Maybe Bush will use this case to tell the voters that Saddam is dead and that the Americans are safe. But actually the American people will be in more danger with the death of Saddam."

Bush called the verdict "a milestone in the Iraqi people's efforts to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law."

Praising the Iraqi judiciary for its independence, the White House denied arranging for the verdict to be announced just two days before pivotal elections in which Democrats are fighting for control of Congress.

"The idea is preposterous," said Tony Snow, Bush's spokesman.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Peter MacKay called Saddam's trial "open" and "transparent", but said it would be preemtive to pass judgements or make public declarations until the appeal process was over.

"Obviously there is an impact on the ground that we have to be very cognizant of, but I suspect as with most processes, this will delay the inevitable," MacKay said.

Yet there was a touch of contempt as well, reminiscent of the international response when the United States failed to find the weapons of mass destruction Bush insisted had made Saddam such a threat.

Intervening militarily was "a grave error," said Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, whose country withdrew its troops from Iraq, contending that conditions there have worsened since the U.S.-led invasion.

Although some voiced doubts that Saddam would actually be hanged, the International Federation for Human Rights denounced the death sentence, warning that it "will generate more violence and deepen the cycle of killing for revenge in Iraq." The Council of Europe called it "futile and wrong" to execute Saddam.

Louise Arbour, the UN high commissioner for human rights, urged Iraq to ensure a fair appeals process and to refrain from executing Saddam even if the sentence is upheld.

In Pakistan, an opposition religious coalition claimed American forces have caused more deaths in Iraq in the past 3 1/2 years than Saddam did during his 23-year rule, and insisted Bush should stand trial for war crimes.

"Who will punish the Americans and their lackeys who have killed many more people than Saddam Hussein?" asked Hafiz Hussain Ahmed, a senior legislator from the Mutahida Majlis-e-Amal coalition, which is critical of Pakistan's military cooperation with the United States.

In the Arab world, some Muslims saw the sentence as divine retribution, but others decried it as a farce.

"Saddam is being judged by traitors, Americans and Iranians, and those who came on the backs of American tanks," said Mahmoud al-Saifi of the Arab Liberation Front.

Iran, which fought an eight-year war against Saddam's Iraq and is a bitter opponent of the United States, praised the death sentence and said it hoped that Saddam - denounced by one legislator as "a vampire" - still would be tried for other crimes.

Key U.S. allies - including Britain and Australia - welcomed Sunday's verdict, which had been widely expected.

"Appalling crimes were committed by Saddam Hussein's regime. It is right that those accused of such crimes against the Iraqi people should face Iraqi justice," British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said in a statement.

Amnesty International questioned the fairness of the trial, and international legal experts said Saddam should be kept alive long enough to answer for other atrocities.

"The longer we can keep Saddam alive, the longer the tribunal can have to explore some of the other crimes involving hundreds of thousands of Iraqis," said Sonya Sceats, an international law expert at the Chatham House foreign affairs think tank in London.

"The problem really is that this tribunal has not shown itself to be fair and impartial - not only by international standards, but by Iraqi standards," she said.

Chandra Muzaffar, president of the Malaysian-based International Movement for a Just World, also voiced concerns that Saddam's trial "violated many established norms of international jurisprudence."

Even so, "Saddam was undoubtedly a brutal dictator, and even though I wouldn't subscribe to the death penalty, he deserves to be punished severely for the enormity of his crimes," he added.

Konstantin Kosachyov, the Kremlin-allied head of the international affairs committee in Russia's State Duma, or lower house of parliament, said the sentence would deepen divisions in Iraq.

But Kosachyov expressed doubts that Saddam would actually be executed.

The verdict, he said, was mostly symbolic - "retribution that modern Iraq is taking against Saddam's regime."

It will be interesting to see if this makes a difference in the elections. Certainly Saddam's guilt provides for one positive outcome from the invasion. With Iraq a heavy consideration on voters' minds, this might make it almost worthwhile.

I also have reservations about the impartiality of the judges. I would have preferred an international panel of judges, although being tried by Iraqis certainly has the veneer of more appropriate justice.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 9:26 AM
Saddam will become a Martyr; and we all know that Martyrs can be inspiring, even many centuries after they have been executed.
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 10:22 AM
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Saddam will become a Martyr; and we all know that Martyrs can be inspiring, even many centuries after they have been executed.

He very well might be. But keeping him alive could be equally dangerous as his supporters will constantly take hostages, kill diplomats and innocents in attempts to free him.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 10:29 AM
VERY true, Chant! At least killing the bastard will eliminate the risk of his supporters attempting all manner of evil things to free Saddam.
Hess was imprisoned for decades in Spandau. He was not a role model for Germans.

Of course, Nazi Germany in 1947 is a lot different to American Iraq in 2006. The Germans were exhausted and the country was wrecked. The same cannot be said of Iraq.

Working out where to imprison Saddam is very problematic, I confess. It couldn't be in Iraq or anywhere in the Middle East, because he'd be a major securtiy risk. And it couldn't be outside of Iraq, because then he would be imprisoned by Crusaders as part of a Jewish conspiracy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-06 4:35 PM
Quote:

It will be interesting to see if this makes a difference in the elections. Certainly Saddam's guilt provides for one positive outcome from the invasion. With Iraq a heavy consideration on voters' minds, this might make it almost worthwhile.

Obviously, I'm happy to see Saddam get what he deserves, but I don't think it will have any effect on the elections.

This outcome was already written into people's expectations the day he was caught, and now the issue is not Saddam but how to fight the terrorists and contain sectarian violence.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Obviously, I'm happy to see Saddam get what he deserves, but I don't think it will have any effect on the elections.

This outcome was already written into people's expectations the day he was caught, and now the issue is not Saddam but how to fight the terrorists and contain sectarian violence.

The conviction is some sunshine in a thunderstorm, though. Sectarian violence doesn't have the same immediately apparent finality.
My moral compass, Britain's The Economist magazine, yesterday applauded the conviction, particularly as it was not a victor's show trial: all participants were Iraqi, although some of the prosecutors were trained by Americans and the trial itself was funded by the US.

On the other hand it pointed out that one fo Saddam's lawyers had his brothers murdered: one judge stood down for being a former Ba'athist, and another judge refused to refer to Saddam as a "dictator". It commented that such thigns were to be expected in a "transitional justice system."

Given the problems with the trial, I would have preferred for him to get life. in any event, the mandate fo the court requires the death penalty be automatically appealed, so we shall see what happens.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-11-07 10:52 AM
I agree with Dave on this one.

As I said in the other thread, I feel execution is warranted to insure the security of the state by making sure killers can't kill again. In this case however, Hussein is most probably never going to be able to kill anyone. Saddam's lost his nation and his power and thus has no ability to further murder people. One could argue that he'd kill someone else physically, but his MO as a dictator was to let others kill for him, so I don't buy that.

Right now, I'm speaking as a Catholic; the only real judge Saddam's going to face is God. I truly think that he's never going to get the chance to sin again, so I have no problem with him being allowed to continue breathing.

Still, it's not my decision. And because he's apart of the Iraqi constituence, they have a right to do what they want with him. Moreover, because they actually gave him the right to a trial, I'm not going to blame them for their choice.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-11-07 6:02 PM
Quote:

Pariah said:
Still, it's not my decision. And because he's apart of the Iraqi constituence, they have a right to do what they want with him. Moreover, because they actually gave him the right to a trial, I'm not going to blame them for their choice.

Aye.

Saddam's victims never got trials before their death sentences.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Saddam Calls for Reconciliation in Court - 2006-11-08 2:41 AM
Saddam Calls for Reconciliation in Court
By SINAN SALAHEDDIN and ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writers
2 hours ago

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein listens to testimony during ...
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A somber and subdued Saddam Hussein called on Iraqis to "forgive, reconcile and shake hands" as he returned to court Tuesday for his Kurdish genocide trial two days after being sentenced to death in a separate case.

Iran urged Iraq to disregard calls for clemency and hang the ousted president, saying Saddam's "very existence is anti-human."

The startling call from Saddam came after he rose during the afternoon session to question the testimony of the witnesses, who told of a mass killing of Iraqi Kurds in the 1987-88 Operation Anfal crackdown on Kurdish guerrillas.

Saddam then calmly spoke about how the Prophet Muhammad and Jesus Christ asked for forgiveness for those who had opposed them.

"I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands," Saddam said before resuming his seat.

The former president's demeanor was far different from his combative performance Sunday, when another court convicted him in the deaths of about 150 Shiite Muslims following an assassination attempt against him in the town of Dujail in 1982.

Saddam and two others were sentenced to death by hanging. Four co-defendants received lesser sentences and one was acquitted. Saddam thundered "Long live the people and death to their enemies" when the sentence was imposed.

On Tuesday, however, Saddam, dressed in a dark suit and white shirt, sat quietly along with the six other defendants in the Anfal case, calmly taking notes as four Kurdish witnesses gave their testimony.

Saddam's goal in making the statement was unclear.

However, the remarks followed at least two other public declarations by Saddam in recent weeks in which he urged national unity _ perhaps to secure a more favorable place in history or to encourage contacts between the Americans and his supporters.

One statement, released last month by his lawyers, urged Iraqis to remember that their goal should be to free the country "from the forces of occupation and their followers" and not "settling scores."

In a statement Sunday, Saddam urged Iraqis not to "take revenge on the invading nations and their people" and to unite "in the face of sectarian strife."

A nine-judge appeals panel is expected to rule on Saddam's guilty verdict and death sentence in the Dujail case by the middle of January, the chief prosecutor said. That could set in motion a possible execution by mid-February.

The death sentence has drawn criticism from European and human rights officials who oppose capital punishment _ regardless of the crime.

"Even a person like Saddam Hussein should not be sentenced to death," Manfred Nowak, the U.N. special investigator on torture, said during a human rights forum in Vienna.

In Tehran, however, the Iranian government called for the death sentence to be carried out, saying that Saddam was a criminal who deserved to die.

"We hope the fair, correct and legal verdict against this criminal ... is enforced," government spokesman Gholam Hossein Elham said. "Saddam has both Shiite and Sunni blood on his hands. His very existence is anti-human."

Iran and Iraq waged a bitter eight-year war after Saddam invaded the country in 1980.

On Tuesday, the court heard testimony from survivors of an Aug. 28, 1988 massacre of more than 30 Kurdish men, who had surrendered after hearing that Saddam offered amnesty to Kurdish rebels.

Instead, the witnesses said they were herded together at the base of a hill, where Iraqi soldiers opened fire on them. Only a handful survived.

"When they fired in our direction, we all fell to the ground," Qahar Khalil Mohammed testified. "When I went back, I saw my father and two brothers had been killed, as well as 18 of my relatives."

Mohammed said an Iraqi medical officer used a broken bottle to clean his wound.

Witness Abdul-Karim Nayif said the men had been hiding in caves after an attack on their village near the Turkish border and some had considered suicide.

But they decided instead to surrender after Iraqi officers "swore on the Quran" that Saddam's offer of amnesty was genuine, Nayif said.

Another survivor, Abdul-Karim Nayif, submitted a video of a mass grave found near the site of the massacre after Kurds gained self-rule in 1991. The video showed numerous human remains.

Saddam and his cousin "Chemical Ali" al-Majid are charged with genocide in the Anfal case. The other defendants are accused of crimes against humanity and war crimes. All could be sentenced to death by hanging if convicted.

___

Salaheddin reported from Baghdad, and Reid from Amman, Jordan. Some material from a pool report was included.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if he'll resort to begging for mercy and saying if they don't kill him, and let him go, that he'll promise to never do anything bad again?
Saying "can't we all just get along" might have seemed just a LITTLE more sincere BEFORE the death sentence, you know?
Posted By: Pariah Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2006-11-08 2:56 AM
Quote:

Pariah said:
I'm not sure. Iraq has every right to be the one that judges him, but.......

I'm going to optimize this statement here by saying the Iraqi's have every right to be the ones to judge him for crimes, but at the same time, I don't think he actually committed any crimes as a dictator since, by very definition, dictators are allowed to do what they want to/with the country they govern. He did perform a coup on the Republic, but because he succeeded, that means it wasn't really a crime. And the fact that the Iraqi people eventually, albeit reluctantly, accepted his presence solidified his rule as such.

This isn't to say that Saddam's not a dick--Because he certainly is.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2006-11-08 3:29 AM
I dunno. By that argument, everyone at Nuremburg should have gotten off scot free.

I think at some point you need to say that certain actions are just plan and simple violations of 'the natural law' and proceeding accordingly.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2006-11-08 11:23 AM
Sovereign rights should be no bar to human rights. Being "dictator" doesn't give you the right to torture and kill people. (In any event his actual title was "president".)

Its interesting that he is asking for the Iraqi people to mend fences. Either its a clemency plea, or he's found Allah.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam sentenced to death - 2006-12-18 10:35 PM
From a New York Times story on Iraqi execution methods, set to be used on Saddam:

The victims are led up a set of steel stairs to a platform, about 15 feet above the ground, and nooses fashioned from one-and-a-quarter-inch-thick hemp ropes are slipped over their necks. The executioners are different each time, drawn from among employees of the Justice Ministry who volunteer for the job. Many have lost relatives or friends in insurgent attacks, officials said.

With a tug of two large levers, the steel trapdoors drop open and the victims fall through. The doors make a loud clanging sound as they slam against the apparatus, according to people who have witnessed hangings. The jarring noise echoes off the cold, unadorned concrete walls.

Death is supposed to come instantly--a doctor is on hand to certify it--and the bodies are removed to a cooler where they are held before being handed over to the victims' families. The entire process is recorded by a photographer and a video cameraman and the images are stored in a government archive.

You know, even if you oppose the death penalty, there's just something wrong about referring to the convicted mass murderer as a victim, the same term used to define the ones he killed.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-26 6:51 PM
Saddam's Noose Tightens

Iraqi court upholds decision to hang Saddam, other co-defendants within 30 days for killing 148 people
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-26 8:18 PM
Weren't they supposed to hang Saddam a month or two ago?

I call shinanagins!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-26 8:20 PM
Unlike his victims, Saddam had a right to an appeal, which has now been heard, and denied.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-26 11:23 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Unlike his victims, Saddam had a right to an appeal, which has now been heard, and denied.

That is damn funny!!!
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-27 3:42 PM
This means he won't stand trial for gassing Kurds in the late 80s.

Still, its not like the man doesn't deserve it. Quite a moment in history, actually.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam death sentence upheld - 2006-12-28 8:45 AM
I read online where Saddam is urging Iraq NOT to hate the US anymore.

Yeah, right...

That is probably some form of code where it really means, " Hate the US even MORE than before!"
Posted By: the G-man Re: Barack Saddam Hussein Obama - 2006-12-28 3:57 PM
I suspect that Saddam is saying that in a desperate attempt to convince someone in the US that, if allowed to live, he could broker some sort of peace deal.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Barack Saddam Hussein Obama - 2006-12-28 6:48 PM
It's a bit late for him to save his ass with hollow hints at peace.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Barack Saddam Hussein Obama - 2006-12-29 6:46 PM
It looks increasingly like Saddam won't live through the weekend

Saddam Hussein remained in U.S. custody Friday afternoon, but he was expected to be turned over to the Iraqi government imminently so that he can be hanged before New Year.

A U.S. military official told FOX late Friday that U.S. troops were expected to transfer custody before the day was out.
Posted By: the G-man Judge: Saddam to be executed by Saturday - 2006-12-29 11:26 PM
Judge: Saddam to be executed by Saturday

Iraqi PM signs death warrant
Posted By: Pariah Re: Who should judge Saddam? - 2006-12-30 1:43 AM
Quote:

Being "dictator" doesn't give you the right to torture and kill people.

Yeah it does since that's the kind of law they let him get away with.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 2:50 AM
U.S. official: execution 'within a matter of hours'

Saddam Hussein's date with death appears to be just hours away. The former president of Iraq will be hanged "within a matter of hours," a Bush administration official told FOX News on Friday.

"The final meetings have taken places," the official said, adding in Iraqis have requested Sddam be turned over to them. "The process is now in the final stage."

Earlier, the Associated Press reported via a top Iraqi official that Saddam would be hanged before 10 p.m. ET Friday night (6 a.m. Saturday in Baghdad).

The official witnesses to the impending execution gathered Friday in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone in final preparation for his hanging, and state television broadcast footage of his regime's atrocities.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 2:53 AM
Wonder what he asked for his final meal to be?

A happy meal? Or a Devils' Food cake?
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 2:56 AM
Pork chops I hope.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 2:57 AM
Hope he chokes on the bones!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 3:01 AM
Ooops.. that would mess up the hanging!
Posted By: klinton Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 4:58 AM
Wow...'s quite the Christmas present to the world.
Posted By: klinton Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 5:13 AM
It's 9:11 right now...do you think they've done the deed? heh.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 5:47 AM
U.S. Judge Refuses to Block Saddam Hussein's Execution

A U.S. judge refused to stop Saddam Hussein's execution Friday, rejecting a last-minute court challenge by the former Iraqi president.

Hussein's lawyers filed the court challenge late Friday night, giving the judge just hours to act before the execution was expected to be carried out.

Hussein's attorneys argued that because the former Iraqi president also faced a civil lawsuit in Washington, he had rights as a civil defendant that would be violated if he is executed. He has not received notice of those rights and the consequences that the lawsuit would have on his estate, his attorneys said.

The Judge said U.S. courts do not have jurisdiction to interfere in another country's judicial process. The ruling can be appealed but was issued within an hour of the time Iraqi officials said they expected the execution to be carried out.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 5:52 AM
This is worse than having to wait for the laundry to be dry!!!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Final Hours - 2006-12-30 6:13 AM
This just in on CNN : The asshole has been Executed!

I know Iraq is STILL fucked up, but Saddam is dead.

Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 6:23 AM

Welcome to hell, Saddam.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Saddam is now wormfood. - 2006-12-30 6:26 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Welcome to hell, Saddam.

I was just thinking of that very South Park episode!!

I hope Saddam gets a pineapple up his ass every night, as Hitler did in the movie, " Little Nicky" !!!
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam is now wormfood. - 2006-12-30 6:42 AM
Next topic....
Quote:

Pariah said:
I agree with Dave on this one.

I agree with Pary, as usual.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 6:48 AM
Dancing on his grave won't bring anyone back to life.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 6:50 AM
Quote:

rex said:
Dancing on his grave won't bring anyone back to life.

That's seriously one of the more thoughtful things I've ever heard you say in here. There's admitedly a sense of shame I think in having made light of this whole thing. I mean...he deserved this...but at the end of the day, it's yet another life that's been taken.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 6:54 AM
Exactly.

This is one of the reasons I'm against the death penalty. Its barbaric and the one thing it will likely do in this case is make him a martyr and cause more damage in an already overwhelmingly bad situation.

Life in solitary confinement would have been the better choice. Its what a more civilized country would have done.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 6:56 AM
That's a decidely Canadian opinion you have there, Rex.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 6:59 AM
The death penalty is one of the few things I hate about America. Have you ever seen the list of countries that have it? Its a list we shouldn't be on.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 7:27 AM
Quote:

rex said:
Exactly.

This is one of the reasons I'm against the death penalty. Its barbaric and the one thing it will likely do in this case is make him a martyr and cause more damage in an already overwhelmingly bad situation.

Life in solitary confinement would have been the better choice. Its what a more civilized country would have done.

The death penalty is the only way you can guarantee that a killer will never kill again. I'm very much for it.

In addition, it's been shown that areas that have the death penalty have less murders than places that do not have a death penalty. It is a deterrant that lowers the number of murders, and ultimately saves lives.

Regarding Saddam Hussein, his execution was sooner than I expected (news reports a few days ago said it would happen within 30 days).
The world is a better place without him.
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
The death penalty is the only way you can guarantee that a killer will never kill again. I'm very much for it.

It's also the only way to guarantee that a child molester will never molest a child again. Why aren't child molesters executed? Because killing is the worst thing you can do? Oh... whoops!

What about prison for life? Is it not an option because it's more expensive? (Is it more expensive? I remember reading once that it actually costs more to use the lethal injection than to sustain someone in prison for life, but I can't remember where.) In that case, isn't it ridiculous to kill someone over a few bucks?

Quote:

In addition, it's been shown that areas that have the death penalty have less murders than places that do not have a death penalty. It is a deterrant that lowers the number of murders, and ultimately saves lives.

I was once explained the opposite: a psychologist told me death penalty is seen as an "easy way out" for criminals. If you've done something bad enough to get the death penalty, then you've got nothing to lose. A serial killer might as well murder 20 more people, the punishment will be the same.

Quote:

Like Pariah said, there's no way he would have killed again. The world isn't a better place: another murder's been committed.
Posted By: Jeremy Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 7:48 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Welcome to hell, Saddam.

Would this also be appropriate?
I personally find the death penalty quite distasteful. Yeah, Saddam's dead, but I'm not partying about it. I'm not surprised by it, but it doesn't give me any sort of satisfaction to know that he's dead now. As was said before, it's not gonna bring anybody back. And weren't there already plenty of reasons a normal person wouldn't want to become a crazed dictator with genocidal tendencies? This one was a long time coming, and again, not at all surprising, but I'll let someone else mull over whether the execution was right or wrong. It's not making me smile is all.
His death is also not necessarily the end. Bizarre as it may sound to us there is a very real chance Saddam will become a martyr.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:02 AM
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

It's also the only way to guarantee that a child molester will never molest a child again. Why aren't child molesters executed? Because killing is the worst thing you can do? Oh... whoops!

What about prison for life? Is it not an option because it's more expensive? (Is it more expensive? I remember reading once that it actually costs more to use the lethal injection than to sustain someone in prison for life, but I can't remember where.) In that case, isn't it ridiculous to kill someone over a few bucks?

Quote:

I was once explained the opposite: a psychologist told me death penalty is seen as an "easy way out" for criminals. If you've done something bad enough to get the death penalty, then you've got nothing to lose. A serial killer might as well murder 20 more people, the punishment will be the same.

Quote:

Like Pariah said, there's no way he would have killed again. The world isn't a better place: another murder's been committed.

Mxy is correct.

This will not act as a deterrent. Solitary confinement for life would have stopped him from killing. This does nothing good for Iraq or the world. We went into Iraq to end this kind of barbarism, this makes me think they are not ready to move past that.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 8:05 AM
I can see legitimate arguments against the death penalty. In this case, however, it wasn't our decision. It was the Iraqi people's.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 8:11 AM
You'd think the place had had enough of death.

I was disapointed to hear on CNN that public officials danced around his body and shouted Shia oaths.

So much for impartial due process. This was vengeance, not justice.
Posted By: Uschi Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 8:13 AM
Posted By: klinton Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-30 8:14 AM
Quote:

I was disapointed to hear on CNN that public officials danced around his body and shouted Shia oaths.

That's a little much, yeah.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:24 AM
Jeremy : love the video!

Klinton, Mxy, Phil, Rex:

I do have mixed feelings about the death penalty because:

As stated, it does not bring back those whom the murderer killed.

Innocent people have been killed by death penalty, I am certain on this.

It is another murder.. doesn't the bible state that we shall not kill? The only time murder is truly justified is in self defense....

On the other hand, how many times have you read that a rapist or murderer was paroled, and then raped or killed or both shortly after his release from prison?

And I am certain many murderers - rapists get really good lawyers, beat the rap... and kill and rape again.

So, yeah, the death penalty does help protect society.

But, now? I don't feel ANYTHING about Saddam being dead. He's probably inspired many other rats that want to be like him. Killing him DOES rid the world of him, but indeed, life does imitate art.. there are too many villains still loose, waiting to kill and take Saddam's place... and no one, even if Superman himself were real.. can catch them all.

He is dead. He is a martyr, yes... but, alive? Terrorists may well have kidnapped MANY to bargain for his release.

Killing Saddam is like cutting off but one of many heads on the hydra.. there will always be more to worry about.

Vigilance is a never ending process.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:37 AM
Rapists and murderers should be put in prison for the rest of their lives. Thats what should be done.
Quote:

rex said:
Rapists and murderers should be put in prison for the rest of their lives. Thats what should be done.

To be surrounded by their peers. I can think of few harsher punishments than to be surrounded by reflections of the worst aspects of yourself.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:42 AM
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Quote:

rex said:

To be surrounded by their peers. I can think of few harsher punishments than to be surrounded by reflections of the worst aspects of yourself.

That...and rapists tend to get a taste of thier own medicine in confinement...which I think is justice unto itself.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:54 AM
I honestly don't care what happens to them behind bars, I just want them taken out of society.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:55 AM
Quote:

rex said:

Serial killer Ted Bundy escaped jail -- twice!-- and killed again.

And he's not the only one.

Several times a year I watch the news and see prison breaks, with photos of escaped convicts the public is to be on the lookout for.

Again:
The death penalty is the only way you can guarantee a killer will never kill again.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 8:56 AM
Thats a problem with prison security.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:00 AM
Quote:

rex said:

That's a laughable response.

Have one of these escapees rape or kill one of your family, and see how coldly philosophical and idealistic you'd remain about it.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:08 AM
It would still be a problem with prison security.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:22 AM
Quote:

rex said:

That's like arguing we should be able to smoke at the gas pump, and if the station blows up, then it's the gas station's fault for not making the place safe from flames.

Prison breaks are a problem any place there are prisons. It's not because the prisons are shabbily guarded. It's because prisoners are very rough characters, who take any opportunity they can get.

Here's an escape just today:
MANHUNT: CONVICT ESCAPES, COP-KILLER'S WIFE SOUGHT
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:29 AM
Quote:

klinton said:

He lives in Oregon...isn't that Canada south?
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:32 AM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

rex said:

That's like arguing we should be able to smoke at the gas pump, and if the station blows up, then it's the gas station's fault for not making the place safe from flames.

Prison breaks are a problem any place there are prisons. It's not because the prisons are shabbily guarded. It's because prisoners are very rough characters, who take any opportunity they can get.

I like how you bring up completely unrelated topics just to try to prove me wrong. Nothing you say will change the way I think. For that to happen I have to have some amount of respect for you. That will not happen anytime soon so just stop trying.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:38 AM
Quote:

rex said:
I like how you bring up completely unrelated topics just to try to prove me wrong. Nothing you say will change the way I think. For that to happen I have to have some amount of respect for you. That will not happen anytime soon so just stop trying.

Hey, y'know, thanks for sticking to the issue and not making it personal...

Forgive me, but I believe in punishing criminals, and not waxing philosophic about their rights after they've committed the most vicious of crimes. I believe in eliminating their threat to the public. Permanently.

I reserve my sympathy and defense of rights for the victims, not the murderers.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:40 AM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

I hope both of those assholes get the needle for that.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:46 AM
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Quote:

klinton said:

He lives in Oregon...isn't that Canada south?

I find this whole discussion amusing. This'd be the first time I've been on the opposite side in a debate in here. I'm usually the 'uber liberal'.
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:...

Forgive me, but I believe in punishing criminals, and not waxing philosophic about their rights after they've committed the most vicious of crimes. I believe in eliminating their threat to the public. Permanently.

Not everyone sentenced to death was a murderer though. You can always increase security at a prison but a death sentence can never be undone once carried out.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 9:15 PM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

And how many wrongly convicted people have been put to death over the years?
The simple answer is that we will never know, and thats what makes the death penalty wrong!
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-30 10:34 PM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

The simple answer is that we will never know, and thats what makes the death penalty wrong!

That is the only arguement that I can come up with regarding the death penalty. I also feel standards for charging someone with death should be standard and not up to judges and every other jury...why does soemone who commits double murder get death at one trial and life at another???it isn't standard for similar crimes and if a punishment isn't standard then I think it shouldn't be done at all....
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
On the other hand, how many times have you read that a rapist or murderer was paroled, and then raped or killed or both shortly after his release from prison?

Then don't parole them.

Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Serial killer Ted Bundy escaped jail -- twice!-- and killed again.

And, because he was probably about to get the death penalty, he had nothing to lose. Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:

Several times a year I watch the news and see prison breaks, with photos of escaped convicts the public is to be on the lookout for.

This is problem with prison security measures, not an argument for death penalty.

Note that Bundy's escapes happened because he was left unsupervised. What's the best solution for dumb guards? Why, killing more people, of course.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 1:09 AM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

rex said:

How so?

I dont often agree with rex, but if a prisoner is that dangerous, they should be held more securely.
In an age of video survielance and other security devices, prison escapes are down to the failure of those in charge to implement proper security measures, and is fuck all to do with how tough or wiley the prisoners are!
Killing people won't take the fear away, Wondy. Nothing will.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 2:00 AM
Quote:

And, because he was probably about to get the death penalty, he had nothing to lose. Thanks for proving my point.

Okay, that's just fucking stupid. You can't prove that's the reason he killed. It's more logical to assume, based on typical criminal response, that he murdered because he was on the lamb in the first. Criminals who have escaped prison continue to kill even though they weren't going in for the death penalty.

In the case of Saddam, I already said that he probably wouldn't gain momentum ever again, but people like Manson, Bundy, Dahmer, and Gein, they're all predators. More than that, they're fucking legends. They would be able to absorb a following with almost no trouble. People like Saddam could only work through politics. And considering his exploits, no one would have ever allowed him that opportunity again.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 2:02 AM
I really think this is a huge backfire on the 'popular opinion'front. The overall feel from the press coverage is one of disapointment at the whole event.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 3:56 AM
Quote:

klinton said:
I really think this is a huge backfire on the 'popular opinion'front. The overall feel from the press coverage is one of disapointment at the whole event.

You mean, disappointment that Saddam was killed?

I'm not sure I see your point. Can you clarify?
If you mean the dramatic episodic daily trickle of new twists in Saddam's capture and trial, then yeah, I agree. To some degree it was celebrity gossip disguised as news.

Like covering the daily twists in the O.J. Simpson trial, or Tonya Harding, or Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill, or Gary Condit/Sandra Levy (interrupted by 9/11, a true event replacing filler news), Mark Foley, Britney Spears and her ex-husband, etc. It's all lurid fluff, disguised as news.

These episodic soap-operas take on the appearance of news but give no real information.

And the news networks love them, because they're stories that are easy to follow, and people come back and watch them every night.
My disappointment with Saddam's trial is that there was very little overview of the full magnitude of his reign of terror. It was more Saddam refusing to recognize the court's authority, or witnesses getting in Saddam's face and calling him a murderer.

After Saddam's execution was announced last night, I saw an Iraqi interviewed, who said Saddam had murdered twenty-seven members of his family.
Twenty seven !
In one family.

In his 24 year reign, Saddam is estimated to have killed between 750,000 and 1 million people, being unearthed in mass graves all over Iraq.
I only see the magnitude of his slaughter being discussed in broadcast news now that his trial is over.

I wonder if news in Europe, South America and elsewhere is as focused on personalities in the news as it is in the U.S., in a play for ratings, rather than on the more significant facts of events reported.

Likewise, I blame the media to a large extent for the cultural rift in the U.S., because a broadcast clash between polar extremes of conservative/liberal, or black/white, etc., makes for a good onscreen catfight.
Which brings in viewers while creating a sense of greater division than likely exists among more typical conservatives/liberals, blacks/whites, etc., than are shown for the sake of info-tainment and ratings.

But the perception that the nation is more divided than it truly is, consistently broadcast, gradually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and makes it truly become that way.
Posted By: Balloon Knot Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 4:01 AM
LOUD NOISES!!!
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 4:22 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

rex said:

How so?

I dont often agree with rex, but if a prisoner is that dangerous, they should be held more securely.
In an age of video survielance and other security devices, prison escapes are down to the failure of those in charge to implement proper security measures, and is fuck all to do with how tough or wiley the prisoners are!

I just saw this as a flippant response by rex, that bypassed how dangerous many of these prisoners are, and how difficult it is to be vigilant in guarding them every minute. But no matter how good the court or prison security (as many incidents show, pretty much daily, and no doubt not just in the U.S.) no matter how vigilant, these convicts will occasionally escape to victimize others. And a guy who's in jail for life ? How much more likely that he'll have an opportunity to escape and kill again.

Rex's response is like saying when a soldier dies, it's not the enemy he fought that killed him, it's his lack of training.
Well, usually it's the enemy.
Sometimes even the best-trained and vigilant soldier (or guard) is overwhelmed by an enemy in a volatile circumstance, and it has nothing to do with training.

Alcatraz was arguably the most secure prison ever built, but prisoners escaped from there too. While they're alive, and there's a will to escape, they'll eventually scout out a weak link in even the most secure of chains.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 4:35 AM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Rex's response is like saying when a soldier dies, it's not the enemy he fought that killed him, it's his lack of training.
Well, usually it's the enemy.
Sometimes even the best-trained and vigilant soldier (or guard) is overwhelmed by an enemy in a volatile circumstance, and it has nothing to do with training.

You're a tool.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 4:54 AM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

Not everyone sentenced to death was a murderer though. You can always increase security at a prison but a death sentence can never be undone once carried out.

That's why there's an appeals process that takes 7 to 10 years, at least, to actually carry out the execution sentence.

Ted Bundy took closer to 20 years to be executed. Probably partly due to the fact that he was a lawyer who knew how to manipulate the process.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 5:09 AM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

That's very true. I can't dispute that.

But if you put away a guy for 15 or 20 years, and then set him free, you've still taken his life away.

I recall an incident I read about in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel back in 1993 or 1994. I graduated high school in 1981. And I read about a guy who'd been in prison in South Florida who'd been wrongfully convicted who was exactly the same age as me. He had hung out with two guys who were auto mechanics, who killed someone and pinned the blame on him. Several people, friends and girlfriends of the murderers, falsely testified that it was the innocent guy.

But 13 years later, one of the girlfriends who testified revealed that she lied, exposed the true story, and the innocent guy was set free after 13 years in jail. I couldn't help thinking about what I'd done in those years, and how this poor guy had to sit in prison all those years for a crime he didn't commit.
In addition, he'd been repeatedly raped in prison, and as a result had contracted HIV, so in his own words, his life was over, and he'd been released only so that he could die.

So, life in prison, or the death penalty. Both take away years and a life that can never be replaced.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2006-12-31 6:17 AM
My personal favorite sentence from the New York Times’ Saddam obituary: “Rarely traveling abroad, and surrounded by often uneducated cousins, he had a limited worldview.”

No shit.
Quote:

Pariah said:
Okay, that's just fucking stupid.

:-[

Quote:

You can't prove that's the reason he killed. It's more logical to assume, based on typical criminal response, that he murdered because he was on the lamb in the first. Criminals who have escaped prison continue to kill even though they weren't going in for the death penalty.

You forget I'm not making, shit what's the word, I'm not claiming to have the last word, Pary. I'm not you. I can't prove that's the reason he killed? WHOA!

I'm making a simple point, for fucking out loud. Nothing to lose, might as well kill. End. I thought that was pretty clear, but, you know, there's always one.

Incidentally, when I googled "whoa" I got this:

YOU'RE WELCOME.
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

But if you put away a guy for 15 or 20 years, and then set him free, you've still taken his life away.

That's some fucked up logic you got yourself there, boy.

Ask anyone: Would you rather get falsely imprisoned for 15 years, or falsely sentenced to death? Really, go out there and ask people. Git! You'll be shocked by the answer. You'll come back here, you'll google "whoa", you'll say "hmmm, I wish Jennifer Connelly would show more labia", you'll google "keanu", and then you'll post his picture here with the words "W H O A".

Quote:

I recall an incident I read about in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel back in 1993 or 1994. I graduated high school in 1981. And I read about a guy who'd been in prison in South Florida who'd been wrongfully convicted who was exactly the same age as me. He had hung out with two guys who were auto mechanics, who killed someone and pinned the blame on him. Several people, friends and girlfriends of the murderers, falsely testified that it was the innocent guy.

But 13 years later, one of the girlfriends who testified revealed that she lied, exposed the true story, and the innocent guy was set free after 13 years in jail. I couldn't help thinking about what I'd done in those years, and how this poor guy had to sit in prison all those years for a crime he didn't commit.
In addition, he'd been repeatedly raped in prison, and as a result had contracted HIV, so in his own words, his life was over, and he'd been released only so that he could die.

So, life in prison, or the death penalty. Both take away years and a life that can never be replaced.

So are you saying that... if you kill someone who was wrongly convicted... it's a mercy killing?

We falsely accused someone? Well, heck, we might as well kill 'em!
(Disclaimer: The above is an exaggeration of Wondy's post. I don't mean to say that he actually said that. Also, I don't want to kill him.)
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 7:26 AM
Wonder boy has gone too far off the logic scale. He's just trolling to troll.
Quote:

Incidentally, when I googled "whoa" I got this:

YOU'RE WELCOME.

I think there should be more debates of this nature!
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 8:27 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

That's some fucked up logic you got yourself there, boy.

Ask anyone: Would you rather get falsely imprisoned for 15 years, or falsely sentenced to death? Really, go out there and ask people. Git! You'll be shocked by the answer. You'll come back here, you'll google "whoa", you'll say "hmmm, I wish Jennifer Connelly would show more labia", you'll google "keanu", and then you'll post his picture here with the words "W H O A".

Quote:

So are you saying that... if you kill someone who was wrongly convicted... it's a mercy killing?

We falsely accused someone? Well, heck, we might as well kill 'em!
(Disclaimer: The above is an exaggeration of Wondy's post. I don't mean to say that he actually said that. Also, I don't want to kill him.)

My point is clear enough, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it: This guy's life is destroyed, regardless of the fact that he's been released. Life in prison, or the death penalty, his life is destroyed. He's now incapable of having a career. And exonerating him at this point doesn't free him of HIV or give him his life back.

It's like asking someone if they'd rather freeze to death or burn to death. Well, either one is about as terrible.

My point is, the option of being set free after false imprisonment isn't exactly making this guy's day. You and rex, and MEM are saying that reversing a false conviction gives a person their life back. My point is that: no, it doesn't. And for some, that might be a fate equal to or worse than the death penalty.

But hey, thanks for the Jennifer Connolly photo.
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
My point is clear enough

No it isn't.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 8:42 AM
Quote:

crazy drunk reax said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
My point is clear enough

No it isn't.

Well, have another beer then, it'll be clearer !
Go blow g-man.
Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 9:35 AM
An interesting point by a girl on another forum:

[quote="sharnofshade"]
By killing Saddam, we as a global people have made a mockery of disapproving of murder on ANY scale.

---

And also: I use the same argument against people supporting the death penalty as I do against people who are cruel to animals. I don't trust people who are cruel to animals not to be cruel to people too. And I will not ever trust a government or people who allow the murder of 'criminals' not to turn that mind-set on the innocent and the different and the weak. You might think that Saddam 'deserved' to die. But remember that now, right this second, there are people who believe that blacks 'deserve' to die. That gays 'deserve' to die. That anyone who does drugs 'deserves' to die. You can try to get into the nitty gritty of what makes one 'deserving' of death. Or you can realise that killing people is wrong, and that not being repelled by the idea of someone, ANYONE being killed, is an unhealthy and inefficient mindset.

Posted By: klinton Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 9:50 AM
And, on the other side of the spectrum...the video:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
Posted By: Pariah Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 1:35 PM
Quote:

sharnofshade said:
By killing Saddam, we as a global people have made a mockery of disapproving of murder on ANY scale.

---

And also: I use the same argument against people supporting the death penalty as I do against people who are cruel to animals. I don't trust people who are cruel to animals not to be cruel to people too. And I will not ever trust a government or people who allow the murder of 'criminals' not to turn that mind-set on the innocent and the different and the weak. You might think that Saddam 'deserved' to die. But remember that now, right this second, there are people who believe that blacks 'deserve' to die. That gays 'deserve' to die. That anyone who does drugs 'deserves' to die. You can try to get into the nitty gritty of what makes one 'deserving' of death. Or you can realise that killing people is wrong, and that not being repelled by the idea of someone, ANYONE being killed, is an unhealthy and inefficient mindset.

Klinton, it's disappointing to see you post such soft-headed crap.

Please don't do it again.
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 2:00 PM
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

sharnofshade said:

---

besides, there's a big difference between blacks, jews, drug abusers, whomever else the fellow mentioned and Saddam.

And besides, there's nothing unhealthy and ineffecient about not being repelled by someone being killed. It's simply being human.

Saddam lived by the philosophy "Might makes right" He was powerful, and he used that power to do whatever he wanted. He ordered the death and torture of thousands. He engineered wars that would serve his purpose. It wasn't until he was faced with greater force that he "seemingly" recanted his previous ways and suddenly became a man of religion and peace.

Saddam has faced the consequences of his own actions, he deserved to die.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 2:48 PM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Alcatraz was arguably the most secure prison ever built, but prisoners escaped from there too. While they're alive, and there's a will to escape, they'll eventually scout out a weak link in even the most secure of chains.

1) Alcatraz did not have any of the modern surveilance equipment we have today, so modern prisons can be a lot more secure if people wanna make it that way!

2)And nobody knows if the handful of Alcatraz escapees survived, so thats not really a great example!
Quote:

Chant said:
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

sharnofshade said:

---

besides, there's a big difference between blacks, jews, drug abusers, whomever else the fellow mentioned and Saddam.

And besides, there's nothing unhealthy and ineffecient about not being repelled by someone being killed. It's simply being human.

Saddam lived by the philosophy "Might makes right" He was powerful, and he used that power to do whatever he wanted. He ordered the death and torture of thousands. He engineered wars that would serve his purpose. It wasn't until he was faced with greater force that he "seemingly" recanted his previous ways and suddenly became a man of religion and peace.

Saddam has faced the consequences of his own actions, he deserved to die.

I enjoy how we counter arguments about who deserves or doesn't deserve to die with arguments about who deserves or doesn't deserve to die. Philosophically and logically, there are two feasible cut-and-dried conclusions. One, nobody deserves to die. Two, everybody deserves to die. Most everyone would choose some sort of middle ground, some-do-some-don't stance, but really all that boils down to is that the question of who deserves to die is totally immaterial. Guess what? We're all gonna die. It makes no sense to use "_________ had it coming" or "_________ didn't deserve that" as moral justifications to a logical decision.
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
My point is clear enough, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it: This guy's life is destroyed, regardless of the fact that he's been released. Life in prison, or the death penalty, his life is destroyed. He's now incapable of having a career. And exonerating him at this point doesn't free him of HIV or give him his life back.

No, it doesn't necessarily destroy his life. As long as there's life, it's possible to rebuild. You know how the cliche goes. The only way to take away that possibility forever is by killing them.

Personally, if I was wrongly convicted I'd like to decide by myself wether my life is ruined or not.

Take that Hurricane dude. He was in prison for, what? Like a decade? When he was cleared he settled and had a normal life. I think he was part of an organization to help the wrongly convicted until recently.

What a silly argument, man. Really. "He can't get a job!" What if he's exonarated? "Well, um, he has AIDS! Obviously!"

Quote:

It's like asking someone if they'd rather freeze to death or burn to death. Well, either one is about as terrible.

No, it's like asking someone wether they'd like to burn to death or burn half to death. The difference is abysmal.

Quote:

My point is, the option of being set free after false imprisonment isn't exactly making this guy's day. You and rex, and MEM are saying that reversing a false conviction gives a person their life back. My point is that: no, it doesn't. And for some, that might be a fate equal to or worse than the death penalty.

For some, it might be. For others, it might not. It's simply ridiculous to use this as an argument in favor of death penalty, saying they would have lost their lives anyway if they hadn't been killed (!). If anything, it's a small comfort for when people are cleared after they were executed. In no way is it an argument for continuing to kill more people.

Quote:

You're welcome. See, Pariah, this is called being polite.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2006-12-31 10:31 PM
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Incorrect. I have heard that, when one freezes to death, it is bad.. to a point, then, as your blood moves away from your extremities and into your brain, you cease to feel anything.. and then, you expire.

I was in a situation where I did come close to freezing to death. It did not feel so bad after a while. I just shivered a lot.

Burning to death is horrible. Ever gotten a bad burn, or even a minor one while cooking? I have. Now, imagine that, only ALL over your body, and a million times worse.

I am not the analogy police, but this was a poor comparison. You can do better, Dave.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 1:00 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
1) Alcatraz did not have any of the modern surveilance equipment we have today, so modern prisons can be a lot more secure if people wanna make it that way!

When more people break out more future state of the art holding cells, is this still going to be your tune?

Quote:

Quote:

You're welcome. See, Pariah, this is called being polite.

Mxy, how can you expect me to be polite when you won't even join my ticket?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 2:22 AM
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

When more people break out more future state of the art holding cells, is this still going to be your tune?

So you really think that a modern prison with cameras & all sorts or sensors can really be compared to an antique like Alcatraz?

The point is that all the stuff we have available in this day and age & the governments (yes I am talking about my country as well, not just attacking the US) feel it is not important enough to spend money on making sure our prisons have more secure.
They would rather spend money on sending people into space or building weapons rather than making sure murderers & rapists stay behind bars!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam dead and buried - 2007-01-01 3:01 AM
As noted above, I can see legitimate arguments against the death penalty in general.

I would respectfully dispute, however, the idea that killing him somehow makes him more a martyr than if he received life in prison.

Over the years, in America and elsewhere, people have been sentenced to life in prison and then glamorized into "causes celebre," rightly or wrongly.

Who's to say, for example, that a group of misguided (or corrupt) Iraqis wouldn't make Saddam into that nations' twisted version of Nelson Mandela, and devote their lives to a revolution to restore him to power?

Furthermore, as part of that cult of personality, its not uncommon for criminals to be able to develop contacts while in prison to help them carry out further mischief. Look at, for example, that blind cleric in the US who's lawyer was helping him promote terrorism. Or consider Scott Peterson getting marriage proposals while behind bars.

No, in the long run, its better for Iraq that Saddam was tried and executed. The last thing they, or we, needed was him trying to usher a comeback from behind bars.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 3:03 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

So you really think that a modern prison with cameras & all sorts or sensors can really be compared to an antique like Alcatraz?

The point is that all the stuff we have available in this day and age & the governments (yes I am talking about my country as well, not just attacking the US) feel it is not important enough to spend money on making sure our prisons have more secure.
They would rather spend money on sending people into space or building weapons rather than making sure murderers & rapists stay behind bars!

How about this compromise : Establish a penal colony on the moon. Thus, the money would be spent both on space and on making sure murderers and rapists stay in prison.

I mean, where are the bastards going to escape to on the moon? It has no atmosphere, and they'd need to commandeer a rocket to go back to Earth, which can be made to be highly unlikely.

A book was written about this possibility :

" The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress ", by Robert Heinlein.

Very good book, btw.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-01 3:14 AM
Now you're just being silly, Jerry.
Quote:

Pariah said:
Mxy, how can you expect me to be polite when you won't even join my ticket?

But I like girls!
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 3:43 AM
Quote:

rex said:

You're absolutly right. It IS a problem with prison security and Prison security varies depending on funding the ability to corrupt the system with money etc... All and all teh prison security can be bypassed in some cases by murderers. You know what they can't overcome? Death.

Someone else mentioned them being imprisoned with thier peers as being punishment enough. That works with molesters and to a lesser degree rapists, but murderers are at the top of the prison food chain. They recieve a level or respect and honor. Among the prison "tribe" they are the chiefs some could agrue that they get exactly what they want in prison. In prison they're free to kill and rape other inmates. Take for example a car thief, he's going to be in the same prison with the murderers where he'll most likely be abused and raped by th same.

I think the worlds focus has come to the point where we lean way too hard in teh direction of protecting criminals rather than protecting victims. here in Washington the (guess wich way they lean politically) Supreme court decided that anyone who murdered someone, but the victim died in an ambulance or the hospital rather than immediately, should have thier convictions overturned. So the thugs who beat a guy to death in the middle of the street durring Mardi Gras and teh Step father who beat his 3 year old stepson to death are back on the streets along with many more who fit the same profile. This wouldn't be an issue if these people were removed from the equaion shortly after being found guilty of murder
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 4:06 AM
www.getfirefox.com

Automatic spell check.
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 4:33 AM
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Guess what? We're all gonna die.

By that account, doing anything at all is irrelevant, because we're all going to die eventually, and everything we've ever worked for is going to have been for nothing.

But sure, there are people who will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labour after we die. As is the same with Saddam's execution. Those who has been wronged by him, imprisoned by him, tortured by him and killed by him can now rest easy as he has faced justice for his actions.

Sure, it's not really going to matter to those who are already dead, but I think you know what I mean
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 4:33 AM
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 11:08 AM
Quote:

rex said:
www.getfirefox.com

Automatic spell check.

www.monster.com

I really don't care.

Quote:

Job Title: Proofreader
Primary Skills: Typing Skills; Basic computer skills
Job Industry: Miscellaneous
Vacancies: 1
Job City: Harbor City
Job Metro Area: Harbor City
Job State: CA
Job Country: US
Salary: $10/HOURLY To $10/HOURLY
Hours per Week: 30
Start Date: ASAP
Job Duration: Contract to Direct
Detailed Job Duration: NA
Degree Type: HS
Degree Area: NA
Experience Minimum: 2 Years
Certificates/Licenses:

Heh.
Posted By: rex Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 7:39 PM
g-tards unite!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-01 8:31 PM
Quote:

rex really said:
Lonely. So Lonely.

Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-02 3:03 PM
how do any of you feel about the apparent humiliation of Saddam just prior to his execution?

I for one think it's uncalled for and totally unacceptable.

Sure, basically evil dictator, but still a man about to die. Executing him may or may not have been the right thing to do. But I still can't accept that there were those who would humilitate a condemned man like that, ruthless ex-dictator or not.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-02 11:09 PM
Quote:

Chant said:
how do any of you feel about the apparent humiliation of Saddam just prior to his execution?

I for one think it's uncalled for and totally unacceptable.

Sure, basically evil dictator, but still a man about to die. Executing him may or may not have been the right thing to do. But I still can't accept that there were those who would humilitate a condemned man like that, ruthless ex-dictator or not.

I'm sorry if this sounds snarky, but when considering the man killed hundreds of thousands of people tortured and raped women and had thier families killed when they protested are you saying it's a grave injustice that some people tried to hurt his feelings before hanging him? This is what I call misplaced outrage.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-02 11:41 PM
I have to agree with WBAM here...I mean, come on, with all the evil things he did to the people of Iraq, how can anyone care overmuch about hurting Saddam's feelings?

If he had been executed 2,000 years ago, he'd most likely have been nailed to a cross and taken a few days to die....and have been laughed at and made fun of the whole time till he finally expired.

The bastard got off easy, IMO.
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 1:43 AM
I'm not saying it's a grave injustice. I just can't get behind and support the humiliation of a man, ANY man who's about to be executed!
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 5:00 AM
Quote:

The bastard got off easy, IMO.

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 8:14 AM
Quote:

Chant said:
I'm not saying it's a grave injustice. I just can't get behind and support the humiliation of a man, ANY man who's about to be executed!

I think that's easy for you to say because you haven't met with severe oppression and tyranny. I can't say what happened was classy, but I can't fault the Iraqi people for doing it either.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 8:26 AM
PBS News Hour, January 1, 2007

This panel discussion gives some interesting insights into the political and symbolic value and detriment of Saddam Hussein's execution:

[Reporter/moderator] RAY SUAREZ: But yesterday, another video surfaced via the Internet, apparently captured on the camera cell phone of a witness. These images are blurred and shaky. The pictures and sounds reveal the chaos of Saddam's final moments.

As he's moved into position, the Shiite guards taunt Saddam, a Sunni, with sectarian slogans.
    ARAB VOICE: "Muqtada ! MuqTada ! Muqtada !...

1) SLOGANS AT SADDAM'S EXECUTION MANIFEST WHO IS THE TRUE POLITICAL POWER IN IRAQ

RAY SUAREZ: Professor Dawisha, what about the status of the Maliki government? The prime minister confidently said, after the sentence was pronounced earlier in 2006, that Saddam would not live to see 2007. He cleared the paper roadblocks; he cleared the security roadblocks, made sure that it happened this weekend.

Is that a message to the country that this government is in control?

ADEED DAWISHA: You know, the government will be seen as being in control when it actually deals with the real problems of Iraq, when it deals with its own problems: rampant corruption amongst its ministries; the infiltration of the militia into its security agencies.

You notice that, for example, in that video, nobody shouted the name of Maliki. They were shouting the name of "Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada." That should tell you something about the condition of the government of Nouri al-Maliki.

2) THE HASTE OF SADDAM'S EXECUTION UNDERCUT THE PERCEPTION OF DEMOCRATIC AND LEGITIMATE IRAQI GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY

THABIT ABDULLAH: I agree with what Professor Dawisha said. In fact, when I spoke to friends and relatives shortly after the execution, they were rather resigned.

Many of them who had, and myself included, waited all their lives to see the end of this regime, their joy was rather subdued, because the real matters at hand was the insecurity, the lack of electricity, the corruption, as Professor Dawisha said, and these are the issues that will ultimately make or break the government.

I should mention one other thing: It was rather depressing, also, to see the manner and the haste with which the execution took place. The fact that it took place in such haste gave the impression that, in fact, these were Shia militias who were executing this individual who represented the Sunnis.

And I think this is a terrible mixing and muddling of the whole legacy of Saddam. Saddam's regime was not necessarily a Sunni versus a Shia regime. It was rather a heinous dictatorship that targeted first and foremost the secular democratic forces in Iraq and, in fact, repressed Sunnis with as much severity.

But the way in which the execution took place, with the shouting of slogans, not only of Muqtada but also al-Hakim's name was mentioned there, gives the impression that, in fact, these are Shias out for revenge, and this is what a lot of Sunnis, who are not necessarily pro-Saddam, are extremely fearful of.

3) THE HASTY EXECUTION MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPLETELY SHOWCASE THE FULL SCOPE OF SADDAM'S GENOCIDE, AND ALSO SHORTCHANGED THE KURDS OF THEIR DAY OF JUSTICE.

THABIT ABDULLAH: ...But the execution should have -- I don't see why it had to take place during the Islamic holiday. I don't understand why it had to take place with such haste.

The Kurdish population and the Kurdish parties are upset because the second trial that dealt with the Anfal campaign, which killed nearly 200,000 Kurds, is now cut short, or at least the most important element is removed from it.

There are many other issues which could have been dealt with much better had this not taken place under such chaotic and hasteful circumstances.

On the plus side, Saddam is dead, like his sons. Saddam's possible return to power is no longer a rallying cause. There is no rightful heir or leader for all the various resistance factions to collectively rally around.
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 12:38 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Chant said:

I think that's easy for you to say because you haven't met with severe oppression and tyranny. I can't say what happened was classy, but I can't fault the Iraqi people for doing it either.

And I think you're partially right. I'm not really blaming them either. I can understand why they would want to see him humiliated before he dies. As a sort of revenge.

And I've said this before. His crimes does not really justify ours.

It would, in my opinion, have been better if he had been allowed to die with what little dignity he had left.

Humiliating a man who's about to be executed or supporting the humiliation? We're supposed to be better than that!
Posted By: Chant Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 3:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6225337.stm

Quote:

Mobile phone captures Iraq's cruelty

The phone camera footage of Saddam Hussein's execution may prove to be the most controversial media disclosure from Iraq since snapshots of US guards abusing prisoners inside Abu Ghraib were published in 2004.

While those pictures were revealed in the US media, the Saddam video appears to have been a purely Iraqi affair.

As foreign news organisations downloaded it from the internet, it was already being swapped among ordinary Iraqis on their mobile phones.

The Iraqi government's own, edited version, was undermined by the ugly audio of the shouted sectarian Shia slogans.

The mobile phone, that symbol of freedom and independence, had come into its own in Iraq in the most dramatic way.

Alarming images

For many outsiders, one of the most graphic horrors of the Iraqi conflict has been the posting of beheading videos on the internet but, within the country, interactive communications rest on the phone, not the web.

Just 0.1% of a population of nearly 27 million has web access, according to a 2006 estimate published by Internet World Stats. By contrast, neighbouring Iran has about 100 times as many, it says.

Meanwhile, websites like YouTube and Ogrish.com positively teem with clips posted by US soldiers of their service in Iraq.

Officially, the US military confines its monitoring to scouring blogs for factual inaccuracies but there is also concern about some of the videos and stills appearing, a US military public affairs officer in Iraq told the BBC last year.

Such material, he said, might be used by America's enemies to portray US soldiers as "barbaric warmongers".

It appears that Iraq's government was similarly concerned about how the execution of Saddam would be portrayed.

"Before we went into the room we had an agreement that no-one should bring a mobile phone," Sami al-Askari, an adviser to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki, said afterwards.

Execution for sale

Phones are what Iraqis now have in relative abundance: since the 2003 invasion, the number of handsets has gone from 1.2m land lines to 4.6m land and mobile lines, according to the US government.

"The new handsets are reliable and widely affordable," Amer al-Harky, a 25-year-old doctor in the Iraqi Kurdish city of Irbil, told the BBC News website.

After the February 2006 attack on the Shia shrine in Samarra, staff at the BBC bureau in Baghdad noted a surge in gory video of the conflict being swapped between mobile phones.

One clip, for instance, showed what appeared to be Shia gunmen killing a Sunni man.

On the day after Saddam's hanging, a trader in a Shia part of Baghdad told AFP news agency that his mobile phone shop was selling the gallows phone camera footage for 500 dinars (40 US cents) a time.

And for those without a mobile, video of Iraq's death squads and their victims is available to buy on DVD.

"The DVDs are not openly on sale but you can go to certain shops and buy these things for less than one US dollar," says Dr Harky.

Simon Henderson of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, who has written a biography of Saddam, recalls that "horrific" footage of political suspects being tortured under Saddam's rule was sold on tapes or DVDs in the streets after he was overthrown.

'Inexperience'

Given the interest in Saddam's own execution, how could the Iraqi authorities and their US allies have allowed a camera to enter the gallows room along with the official one?

US-based media analyst Danny Schechter, who describes the execution as a "colonial hanging", believes it was a "unique example of a total screw-up", coming after what he describes as a long procession of miscalculations by the Iraqi and US authorities.

Its handling, he said, showed a refusal to listen to advice and a willingness to risk sectarian violence in Iraq.

However, concealed cameras at executions are nothing new, US strategy analyst Anthony Cordesman of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies says.

"This is not something that governments are likely to prevent unless they have great experience and certainly this government obviously didn't," he told the BBC News website, recalling how a US reporter secretly photographed an execution in 1928 with a camera strapped to his ankle.

Mr Cordesman points out that the execution had to be conducted at short notice in a way where it "could not become the subject of terrorism, there couldn't be rescue attempts and witnesses had to be rushed in with very little preparation".

"This is wartime, it is a situation where the Iraqi government is in considerable disarray and you are operating in a region where Western standards, to put it mildly, don't apply," he says.

Simon Henderson suggests that the desire of some Iraqis to see footage of Saddam's execution owes much to the brutalisation of society under his rule.

This, after all, was a man who used to take his own sons Uday and Qusay to witness torture sessions.

I realize, of course, that western standards do not apply in the middle-east. Different people, different culture. We all know that.

And I am in no way opposed to Saddam's execution. He deserved to pay for his crimes and now he has.
But you will never convince me that it's right to humiliate a man, any man who's about to be executed.

That just doesn't sit right with me.

But then again, different nation, different people, different culture. And the standards we're supposed to uphold here in western world don't apply.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-03 5:47 PM
Quote:

Chant said:
But then again, different nation, different people, different culture. And the standards we're supposed to uphold here in western world don't apply.

Essentially, that's the crux of it all right there with little exception (I'll point to the death of Mussolini). You've got a culture that is steeped in violence. They're going to react differently than we are in this situation.

And we could, of course, keep arguing the point for a myriad of directions. Some could argue that it is a sort of poetic justice that Saddam was denied the dignity that his victims were denied at their deaths. Others could continue with the morality of a death sentence to begin with. The fact is that it wasn't us or any other Western country. The Iraqis did it. It was their government and their people. The decision was theirs to make and to follow through on. I don't have to like it or support it. Then again, I didn't have to live under Saddam's rule.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-04 7:34 AM
But is it the Iraqi people ?

I heard a report that I can't seem to confirm with a link, that Muqtada al-Sadr is claiming that his men executed Saddam Hussein, not the Iraqi government.

I suspect that's not true, but he is projecting that perception, and widespread fear in the Sunni population.

If al-Sadr's men killed Hussein, then it was ethnic cleansing, and not a legitimate war crimes trial and execution. And if that is not true, but still the widely held perception, then the impact on Iraq's democratic authority is largely the same.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Saddam's victims ready to testify - 2007-01-05 9:04 AM
If anyone cares, here's Wikipedia's overview of the execution of Saddam, its impact in Iraq, reaction by human rights groups, and endorsement and condemnation of the execution by nations across the globe.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Several Boys Die Copying Saddam Hanging - 2007-01-15 3:06 AM

Several Boys Die Copying Saddam Hanging
By ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
1 hour ago

CAIRO, Egypt - The boys' deaths _ scattered in the United States, in Yemen, in Turkey and elsewhere in seemingly isolated horror _ had one thing in common: They hanged themselves after watching televised images of Saddam Hussein's execution.

Officials and relatives say the children appeared to be mimicking the former dictator's Dec. 30 hanging, shown both on a sanitized Iraqi government tape and explicit clandestine videos that popped up on Web sites and some TV channels.

The leaked videos, apparently taken by cell phone cameras, set off international outrage over the raucous scene at Saddam's execution, but some experts are more concerned about the images of the deposed Iraqi leader dropping through the gallows floor and his body swinging at the end of a rope.

The experts say such graphic images can severely affect youngsters who do not yet understand the consequences of death and violence _ especially because Saddam's death received intense international attention.

"They see how it's done, but they don't think it's horrific, and they're more likely to imitate it," said Hisham Ramy, an associate professor of psychiatry at Ain Shams University in Cairo.

A day after Saddam's execution, a 10-year-old boy in Texas hanged himself from a bunk bed after watching a news report on the execution. Police in the Houston suburb of Webster said the boy, Sergio Pelico, tied a slipknot around his neck while on the bed but had not mean to kill himself.

"I don't think he thought it was real," Julio Gustavo, Sergio's uncle, said afterward. "They showed them putting the noose around his neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"

Something similar occurred in Turkey, where 12-year-old Alisen Akti hanged himself Wednesday from a bunk bed after watching TV footage. His father, Esat Akti, told a newspaper in the southeastern province of Mus that his son had been affected by the televised images.

"After watching Saddam's execution he was constantly asking 'How was Saddam killed?' and 'Did he suffer?'" Akti was quoted as saying. "These television images are responsible for my son's death."

Nine-year-old Mubassahr Ali, from the eastern Pakistan town of Rahim Yar Khan, died hours after Saddam when he also mimicked the ousted leader's execution, local police official Sultan Ahmed Chaudhry said.

"The ill-fated boy used a long piece of cloth, tied it with a ceiling fan and wrapped its other end around his neck. Then he stood on a chair and fell down," Chaudhry said.

In Yemen, at least two young boys died and another was injured in apparent imitations of Saddam's hanging.

One of the cases involved a 13-year-old junior high school student who hanged himself after watching Saddam's execution on television, a Yemeni security official said.

When the boy's family returned to their home outside the capital, San'a, on Wednesday, they found him hanging from a tree wearing a traditional Arab headdress, said the boy's cousin, Yahya al-Hammadi.

In Saudi Arabia, a 12-year-old boy was found by his brother hanging from an iron door with a rope around his neck, the newspaper Okaz reported. The boy, Sultan Abdullah al-Shemmeri, lived with his family in the province of Hafr al-Baten, near the Iraqi border.

"The child was just 12 years old and didn't really know whether the execution of Saddam was something good or bad," a Saudi Interior Ministry official said Saturday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

Local media in Algeria and India also have reported other mimicking deaths, but these could not immediately be confirmed.

Ramy, the professor in Egypt, said children are prone to imitating violence they encounter on television, the Internet and movies, but usually they act out against another person. Mimicking a hanging or suicide is unusual, but perhaps in this case it is unsurprising, he said.

Because "some people have said Saddam is a hero and martyr and have glorified his death, this has affected children," Ramy said.

But Jasem Hajia, a child psychologist in Kuwait City, cautioned against placing all the blame on video images. "This is extreme, and I think there were physiological disorders as well with the children," Hajia said.
Posted By: rex Re: Several Boys Die Copying Saddam Hanging - 2007-01-15 3:19 AM
darwin wins again
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Several Boys Die Copying Saddam Hanging - 2007-01-15 3:25 AM
yeah, at 10 or older you are just idiotic to do that stuff without the intent of committing suicide... I agree with Rex-Darwin wins...
At least the world is spared further idiocy from them!
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-15 10:42 PM
"Dope On a Rope:Toy company president defends action figure depicting Saddam's execution"
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-16 3:27 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
"Dope On a Rope:Toy company president defends action figure depicting Saddam's execution"

I hope this figure comes with a warning for kids on the figure's packaging.. it could say this : Don't try this at home. Hanging kills people, you dumb little shits!
Posted By: rex Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-16 4:45 AM
I think your posts should come with a warning.
Posted By: Steve T Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-16 3:53 PM
I find the poetic justice argument surrounding the nature of Saddam's execution to be relatively irrelevant, I am more concerned with the escalating effect on the sectarian violence. I think it suggests incompetence on the part of the officials involved if they really thought that they could let it happen that way and it wouldn't get out.
Posted By: the G-man Re:Saddam's Dead - 2007-01-16 5:41 PM
Quote:

rex said:
This unresolved sexual tension between Jerry and myself is tearing the board apart

There. Fixed it for you.
© RKMBs