RKMBs
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 8:38 PM
Target, in a flurry of political correct lunacy has barred the Salvation Army kettle bell ringers from thier stoops. Regardless of your religious persuasion (I'm a Cristiann, but take issue w/ the SA on alot of serious doctrinal issues) The Salvation Army does incredible and important cheritible work and asks nothing in return of the recipiants.

http://www.boycotttarget.info/
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 8:42 PM
Well, looky here, Target has a message board.

I think some of our most tallented trolls (Paraih, JLA, JQ, it's time to unite for the common good) should pay a little visit, show them why rkmbs trolls are the best of the best.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 8:43 PM
UPDATE: In the state of New Jersey - KOHL's and HOME DEPOT are also banning the Salvation Army from their premises as well...

UPDATE: According to the Target "chat group" on Yahoo today - The Salvation Army in Illinois will suffer a five million dollar shortfall from the stores disallowing them access to public sidewalks in front of certain retail establishments - Target, et al.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 8:44 PM
Damn their boards suck!

But hey, you know, it'll be fun.
Posted By: klinton Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 10:00 PM
Wal-Mart has forbidden them here in Montreal for two years running. I really don't understand how anyone could find these guys offensive. The simply stand and smile, never harassing folks for money...
Posted By: Darknight613 Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 10:06 PM
Did they say why they're barring the Salvation Army?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 10:06 PM
You want to hear irony: my wife's temple was running an "adopt a salvation army family" and buying the gifts at the local Target.

The local Wal-Mart, BTW, allows bell ringers.
Posted By: rex Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 11:03 PM
Before you get your panties in a bunch read this.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 11:30 PM
Quote:

rex said:
Before you get your panties in a bunch read this.

OK, I read it and I still blan not to shop at Target. Was that article suposed to make me feel better about thier decision?
Posted By: rex Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-25 11:40 PM
Target is one of the biggest spenders when it comes to charities.
If the Salvation Army was really concerned about getting donations, they would stop ring those goddamn bells and just sit there and smile. I've not shopped at stores because of those damn bells.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 12:19 AM
I once canvassed for the Salvation Army -- that was both a good experience and a bad one. Some people were really nice whether or not they chose to donate (and I made a point never ever to press the issue at all if someone said no), but others were just outright hostile right off the bat. It's like they were expecting me to pressure them into something, like a telemarketer or even a Jehovah's Witness.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 2:10 AM
The Salvation Army is considered one of the best charities in America.

Unlike many charities, most of the money actually goes to the cause, not the administration/overhead.

I don't see how anyone can fault the bell ringers. From what I've seen, they just stand there and ring the bell. They don't ask for donations and they thank you no matter the amount you put in.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 2:18 AM
Quote:

rex said:
I've not shopped at stores because of those damn bells.

That's dumb.
Posted By: rex Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 2:49 AM
There's better ways to get donations then ring a damn bell all day long. They can just sit there and collect money. If they did it that way I bet more people would donate more money.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 3:55 AM
Have we no work houses?

Have we no prisons?
Posted By: Busted Arse Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 6:09 AM
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Have we no work houses?

Have we no prisons?

HA!

I'll still go to Target 'cause they're better than Walmart and K-Mart.

But I also think they're stupid here.
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 6:48 AM
Quote:

rex said:
If the Salvation Army was really concerned about getting donations, they would stop ring those goddamn bells and just sit there and smile. I've not shopped at stores because of those damn bells.

The bells are festive!
Posted By: Chant Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 5:32 PM
what? they don't sing in America?
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 5:57 PM
i've never seen one sing.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 6:34 PM
Quote:

rex said:

I think that is a point worth repeating. You can of course take your business to a store like Wallmart who does less for charities & their own employees.

Personally I like the bellringers & the Salvation Army charity & it's to bad Target couldn't have continued making an exception for them.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 8:57 PM
Not only is the Salvation Army one of the worlds greatest charities, but they're also a symbol of modern Chistmas tradition. If Target wants to distance themselves from Christmas tradition, then that's fine by me, but when I want to do Christmas shopping I'll just take my buisiness elsewhere.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 9:37 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Target, in a flurry of political correct lunacy has barred the Salvation Army kettle bell ringers from thier stoops. Regardless of your religious persuasion (I'm a Cristiann, but take issue w/ the SA on alot of serious doctrinal issues) The Salvation Army does incredible and important cheritible work and asks nothing in return of the recipiants.

I do not support the Salvation Army based on its attitudes toward homosexuality.

Sorry. No kettle of theirs gets any more of my change.

That Target has barred them...I do not give a shit.
Posted By: JQ Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 11:34 PM
So what's this controversy over the Salvation Army about? I've never heard of this.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 11:44 PM
Quote:

Sorry. No kettle of theirs gets any more of my change.

Hopefully that change has found a new charitible home.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 11:45 PM
Quote:

JQ said:
So what's this controversy over the Salvation Army about? I've never heard of this.

They will not accepting gays who actually do have sex in the Army as soldiers (they take this military metaphor very seriously).
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-26 11:46 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

JQ said:

They will not accepting gays who actually do have sex in the Army as soldiers (they take this military metaphor very seriously).

I'm having trouble following what you just said.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 12:01 AM
I did stuff for the Salvation Army's Kettle Campaign back in the high school. We actually got tired of the bells, so I dug the lyrics of some CD out of my car and we sung carols instead, which was much more fun.

"The ox and cat kept time --"

"I thought it was 'The ox and lamb kept time?'"

"The ox and lamb kept time..."
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 12:02 AM
I apologize.

The Salvation Army won't accept practicing gays (uncelibate gays) into its ranks as Army soliders. The Army actually has a rank system just like the Military.

You cannot be a soldier in the Salvation Army if you are a gay person who behaves as a gay person.

If you remain celibate, however, you can be inducted.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 1:34 AM
Quote:

Wednesday said:
i've never seen one sing.

we had a Salvation Army lady in front of the store I work at today. All that bitch did for 8 hours was sing! and she never once went to the bathroom. I was impressed.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 1:52 AM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Not only is the Salvation Army one of the worlds greatest charities, but they're also a symbol of modern Chistmas tradition. If Target wants to distance themselves from Christmas tradition, then that's fine by me, but when I want to do Christmas shopping I'll just take my buisiness elsewhere.

But Target is one of the biggest donators to charity, so you could either go to Wal-Mart who has bell ringers (and could give a shit less about charities) so you can toss in your spare change, or you could shop at Target who doesn't have bell ringers, but gives a large sum of money to various charities. You're still screwing over charity organizations by choosing to shop elsewhere, and frankly I'd rather shop at Target than Wal-Mart in this case. I never give to those bell ringers anyway. They get on my damn nerves, and I've met more of them that need a good kick in the dick than ones that don't.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 9:06 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I apologize.

The Salvation Army won't accept practicing gays (uncelibate gays) into its ranks as Army soliders. The Army actually has a rank system just like the Military.

You cannot be a soldier in the Salvation Army if you are a gay person who behaves as a gay person.

If you remain celibate, however, you can be inducted.

Well they are a religios orginization. Alot of churches don't allow homosexuals to serve in ministering positions, but like I said if you don't feel comfortable giving to them don't show your opposition to them by holding on to your money (and I'm not saying you do this) show your opposition by giving generously to a charity that you can get behind.
Posted By: Batwoman Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-27 10:31 PM
Quote:

Chant said:

There are some that sing, others that play an instrument, depends on the person. I've always thought it would be fun to do that stand there with a couple friends and just sing.

But then that's the old choir geek in me talking and I had actually done something similar back in high school during my short stint with key club. We went downtown and stood in front of stores and collected money for battered and abused women. It amazed me that rich people were so stingy and that someone from the store kicked us out from in front of the store, made us go stand on the corners. We weren't being rude or harrassing, just polite high schoolers.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-28 1:13 AM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Well they are a religios orginization. Alot of churches don't allow homosexuals to serve in ministering positions, but like I said if you don't feel comfortable giving to them don't show your opposition to them by holding on to your money (and I'm not saying you do this) show your opposition by giving generously to a charity that you can get behind.

I will give my money as I see fit. Charity begins at home. If I was rolling in dough, fine, but I'm not.

I show my displeasure to the Salvation Army army by telling the bell ringers why I don't donate.
Posted By: PrincessElisa Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-28 6:31 AM
Thats just wrong! I look forward to the bell ringers on Christmas. Its cool feeling like you've done something for someone by donating to a worthy cause.

No Target for mois this Christmas...thats for sure!
Posted By: Snapman Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-28 4:28 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
...show your opposition by giving generously to a charity that you can get behind.

No pun intended, right?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-28 6:34 PM
Quote:

Snapman said:
No pun intended, right?

Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-28 9:17 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I will give my money as I see fit. Charity begins at home. If I was rolling in dough, fine, but I'm not.

I show my displeasure to the Salvation Army army by telling the bell ringers why I don't donate.

So you harangue the bell ringers as to why you don't give to THEM all the while little do they know you don't give to anyone and probobly wouldn't give to them even if 90% of thier Soldiers were gay.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 2:55 AM
I think people are losing sight of the big picture. The Salvation Army is really just about the best charity out there. It doesn't discriminate to who it gives aid too but who needs it. Target is not a charity but has a record of generosity that sets it apart from other retail chains. Punishing either one seems counter constructive.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 3:08 AM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I think people are losing sight of the big picture. The Salvation Army is really just about the best charity out there. It doesn't discriminate to who it gives aid too but who needs it. Target is not a charity but has a record of generosity that sets it apart from other retail chains. Punishing either one seems counter constructive.

That leaves us with quite a catch 22 then doesn't it.
Posted By: rex Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 3:37 AM
There are other ways to donate to the salvation army.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 3:37 AM
the Kiss Army could kick the Salvation Army's ass!
Posted By: Snapman Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 3:45 PM
And nothing's more important than donating to the Gene Simmons Fund.
Posted By: Chris Oakley Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 5:45 PM
Is Target intentionally trying to wreck their business,or are they just too stupid to know a public relations blunder when they see one?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 5:53 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
So you harangue the bell ringers as to why you don't give to THEM all the while little do they know you don't give to anyone and probobly wouldn't give to them even if 90% of thier Soldiers were gay.

I never said I don't donate at all to any charity. I donate over the course a year to Goodwill, well in excess of $500 per year. I just resented being told by you that I have an obligation to donate to anybody. I do not.

And I do not harangue anyone. I do not stand there and get in a debate with a kettle worker. On those rare occasions when a kettle workers asks me for a donation, I tell them, "Your policy on gays prohbits me from donating to the Army."

What kind of person do you think I am?
Posted By: Bianca Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-29 6:38 PM
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

Chant said:

There are some that sing, others that play an instrument, depends on the person. I've always thought it would be fun to do that stand there with a couple friends and just sing.

Last year, at the Target out here where I work, there was an Asian man who brought his electric fiddle and played it all day long. The entire time he was there with the kettle he had that fiddle. It was pretty damn cool and he got a ton of donations.

It's a shame that Target has pulled their stores from this, but it appears that it's "done."

The collections have already started . . . you'll see the bell-ringers out there in other places. So, not all is lost. At least we can hope that any way.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-30 1:41 AM
Quote:

What kind of person do you think I am?

Apperantly the resentfull type.

Quote:

I just resented being told by you that I have an obligation to donate to anybody. I do not.

Yea, I don't think I told you you were obligated to do anything. I was just hopefull that you weren't soured on giving alltogether. I was also trying to make the point that I fully UNDERSTOOD your reluctance or refusal to give to any groups that offend you or differ in a fundimental way, but you just have to find something in that to get offended by. I realise that you're a tad more sensitive than I, and I try to accomdate that when responding to you, but it can get to the point of being rediculous. I want to better understand your stance on various issues as well as express mine, but as you may have noticed in my sig, i have X-BOX Live now so I don't want to spend my depleteing time here talking to people who are going to get offended and act like a resentfull jerk. i would like to make one suggestion (it is JUST a suggestion, so don't feel obligated) Every day stand infront of a mirror, preferably a full lenght mirror and say in a full voice "I am not a victim" You'll feel alot better.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-30 4:03 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I realise that you're a tad more sensitive than I, and I try to accomdate that when responding to you, but it can get to the point of being rediculous. I want to better understand your stance on various issues as well as express mine, but as you may have noticed in my sig, i have X-BOX Live now so I don't want to spend my depleteing time here talking to people who are going to get offended and act like a resentfull jerk. i would like to make one suggestion (it is JUST a suggestion, so don't feel obligated) Every day stand infront of a mirror, preferably a full lenght mirror and say in a full voice "I am not a victim" You'll feel alot better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions.

I do give. All year. But at Christmas, I tend to hang on to my dollars because I need 'em, too.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-11-30 4:27 PM
Quote:

Bianca said:
The collections have already started . . . you'll see the bell-ringers out there in other places. So, not all is lost. At least we can hope that any way.

You can always call the Salvation Army and arrange a donation that way.
Posted By: ZOD Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-01 9:52 AM
Target is a great contributor to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Little Timmy's going to die thanks to WBAM!
Posted By: King Snarf Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-01 10:45 AM
NOOOOOOO!!! Not Timmy!!!
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-01 10:57 AM
At least little Mary-Sue will be okay... won't she?
Posted By: Steve T Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-01 3:27 PM
No, I'm afraid she won't. Without those extra funds, there's nothing we can do for her. And that liver won't reattach itself!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-02 5:01 PM
Red kettles are Salvation Army's main fund-raisers

If you think the holiday season brings more work and less pay at your job, take a look at Lebertus (Bert) van der Werff Sr.

For the past 14 years, van der Werff, a retired baker, has been in charge of organizing and coordinating the Salvation Army's kettle campaign in Auburn NY.

What it boils down to are 12-hour days most of the time, from the week before Thanksgiving through Christmas eve.

Of course, the volunteer effort "isn't really work when you know what you are doing it for," van der Werff said. "It isn't really work because you meet a lot of nice people. It is very gratifying when you see the end of it and give out food baskets."

Van der Werff makes sure the volunteer bell ringers are at their posts. He sets up and takes down the kettles.

"They asked me to help about 17 years ago and I just stayed with it. I enjoy it; you give back to the community," he said.

Van der Werff came to this country from the Netherlands in 1957 when he was 17. He lived in Liverpool until 1962, when he moved to Auburn. He worked in several area bakeries and retired from Harrison Bakery in Syracuse. He has been married to Betty van der Werff for 20 years. He has four children, three stepchildren, 13 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Van der Werff also works with the Salvation Army's emergency disaster services. He cooks for senior citizens and in the soup kitchen. He is a member of the advisory board. All volunteer work.

The Christmas Kettle Campaign is the Salvation Army's biggest fund-raiser of the year. Much of the money goes for holiday food baskets, but some goes to the food pantry or is given to people in emergency situations, for necessities such as rent or medical care.
Posted By: URSA Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-03 10:07 AM
We're gonna need another Timmy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-03 5:10 PM
This post, and other popular "DT" posts, are being stickied until idiot boys's spongebob shit ends.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-03 5:11 PM
i dont think sponges "shit"......
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-03 10:12 PM
Quote:

URSA said:
We're gonna need another Timmy.

Totally Hidden Predator!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-03 11:51 PM
ABC News.com

Target Faces Backlash for Bell-Ringer Ban
Target Faces Backlash for Banning Salvation Army Bell Ringers From Its Stores

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. Dec 2, 2004 — When Florida was reeling from one hurricane after another during the summer, the Salvation Army was a welcome sight for thousands of storm victims. But with the holidays here, the charity's bell-ringers and red kettles have been barred from Target stores.

Target decided earlier this year it could not permit Salvation Army bell ringers at any of its stores because doing so would be unfair to other charities wanting to solicit shoppers.

Now some shoppers are fuming that the nation's second-largest retailer would turn away a charity whose bell-ringers have long been a symbol of the holiday season.

"Target is this year's Ebenezer Scrooge," said Randy Sharp of the American Family Association, a Christian group which sent an e-mail this week to 2.3 million people urging them to shop elsewhere in protest of Target's policy. "They are the Grinch that stole Christmas for a lot of needy children."

Carolyn Brookter, a spokeswoman for Target, said the chain always had a "no solicitation" policy at its stores but made an exception for the Salvation Army. But Brookter said more and more groups have been asking for permission to collect money at Target, forcing the company to re-examine its relationship with the Salvation Army.

"The best way we thought to deal with this situation is to have a consistent policy," she said. "It absolutely was a difficult decision, it was not done lightly."

The Minneapolis-based chain had been the Salvation Army's second-most profitable collection point, accounting for nearly $9 million of the $93.8 million bell ringers raised nationwide in the 2003 holiday season. Wal-Mart, whose stores are the Salvation Army's most lucrative collection point, continues to allow the red-kettle collections along with Kmart.

The Salvation Army said Thursday it understands Target's position and knew in January about the new policy.

The retailer's decision is part of trend of shopping centers deciding against allowing the bell ringers because of requests for similar access by other groups, said Salvation Army spokeswoman Theresa Whitfield.

Other major retailers such as Toys "R" Us, Kohl's department stores and Barnes & Noble also don't allow bell ringers because of blanket no-solicitation policies.

"Anytime we lose a red kettle location we are disappointed," Whitfield said. "That includes not just Target, but other retailers. But it's also a privilege to raise funds, we don't lose sight of that."

Whitfield said that while the loss of Target is a concern, it likely wouldn't hurt the bell ringers' bottom-line. Contributions in the red kettles have been steadily increasing over recent years, and Whitfield said the furor over Target is actually prompting shoppers to be more generous when they do encounter a bell ringer, she said.

Target also has tried to make it up to the Salvation Army by offering to find other ways to help the charity, along with contributions it already makes through an online shopping program run by the charity.

At a Super Target in Miramar, Fla., Marina Hardin said Target is her favorite store, but she called a customer service number to protest its decision. Her brother in Texas, whose family is awaiting the birth of a child, have asked other family members not to buy gifts from a Target registry.

"I believe that the Salvation Army really helps people in need and it's always been a part of Christmas," said Hardin, a 45-year-old hotel worker.

But another shopper, Paulo Ramirez, said he was glad to see the bell ringers gone from the store.

"It's very bothersome to see them out front of the store," said the 65-year-old retiree. "It makes people feel that they have to give. There are other ways of donating."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-04 12:25 AM
And this is what makes America great.

You don't like it that Target's banned the bell ringers? Then shop elsewhere. If Target feels any pinch, they'll likely change their minds.

As Abby Carmichael once said, "Morals are morals. Money is money."
Posted By: Captain Cranky Re: Don't Shop at Target - 2004-12-04 12:29 AM
Target still donates to the Salvation Army, on a corporate level. Other stores are picking up the slack, and I'm sure the Salvation Army ain't hurtin'.

I'm glad I don't see the bellringers there. We already have lots of hands in our pockets at this time of year.
© RKMBs