RKMBs
Why all the hatred for the ACLU? The American Civil Liberties Union is a good concept that defends rights. Do they get a little silly in who they defend sometime? Yeah.

But remember that unpopular speech is the true test of free speech. And as long as there are groups like the ACLU then free speech will be around.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-21 4:16 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:Do they get a little silly in who they defend sometime? Yeah.

And I think this would be one of those examples of "silly" if it comes to pass.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: "English Please" - 2005-11-21 9:48 PM
All depends on how good the payoff is.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: "English Please" - 2005-11-23 12:54 AM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Why all the hatred for the ACLU? The American Civil Liberties Union is a good concept that defends rights. Do they get a little silly in who they defend sometime? Yeah.

But remember that unpopular speech is the true test of free speech. And as long as there are groups like the ACLU then free speech will be around.

Very good. I approve.
Posted By: Pariah Re: "English Please" - 2005-11-23 1:29 AM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Uh, yeah. Good concept is all it is.
Posted By: Anonymous One Re: "English Please" - 2005-11-23 3:04 PM
How did this end up here?
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Uh, yeah. Good concept is all it is.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

In 1925, the ACLU persuaded John T. Scopes to defy Tennessee's anti-evolution law in a court test. Clarence Darrow, a member of the ACLU National Committee, headed Scopes' legal team. The ACLU lost the case and Scopes was fined $100. The Tennessee Supreme Court later reversed the fine, but not the conviction.

pushed science over religion in the classroom.
Quote:

In 1942, a few months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the ACLU affiliates on the West Coast became some of the sharpest critics of the government's policy on enemy aliens and U.S. citizens descended from enemy ancestry. This included the relocation of Japanese-American citizens, internment of aliens, prejudicial curfews (Hirabayashi v. United States, 1943), and the like.

The U.S. government has formally apologised for the camps since then.
Quote:

In 1954, the ACLU played a role in the case of Brown v. Board of Education, which led to the ban on segregation in U.S. public schools.

Okay, I can see why you don't like them. But some of us don't mind black people sitting next to us in the classroom. Crazy liberals that we are, huh?

Yeah, they've had other cases, like I said they sometimes go after silly causes, but I like the idea of a group that is set up to protect our rights. I like the idea of a group that fights to preserve the seperation of Church and State and the rights to free speech.
Posted By: the G-man Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-23 4:49 PM
I thought Ray's points about the ACLU deserved their own thread, so I did a "clip and ship" into a new topic.

From my perspective, and I'll expound more later, the ACLU's problem is that, for every legitimate action they take (see, eg, the Scopes Trial and Japanese Internment Camps--both of which are more than a half century ago), they take several more off the wall positions, in which they either invent rights out of whole cloth or serve as little more than a lobbying union for some of the worst criminals our country has (for example, terrorists and child molesters).
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-23 8:18 PM
Going back to R3x's original post, it is about protecting the rights of everyone, even those who are despised. I recall the ACLU's decline in popularity began with the Skokie, IL case. The ACLU defended the rights of the American Nazi Party to March through the predominantly Jewish community. It alienated a large portion of their supporters and no doubt hurt their fund raising. They did it anyway because of the belief that all speech, even hate speech, should be protected.

They have worked hard at the seperation of church and state. To those of you that practice a Judeo Christian religion, having the 10 Commandments displayed on a court room wall seems like no big deal. But to those who practice another faith it is. We get your version of God thrown in our faces constantly. We don't need to get it in public buildings as well.

As for the child molesters and terrorists, they deserve due process as much as anyone else.

Lapsed ACLU member.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 7:14 AM
ACLU: 'Plaintiffs Wanted'

Six months ago, a senior at Jonesboro High School, Arkansas, gave a graduation speech that included an invitation to audience members to use the moment to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. As you can well imagine, the ACLU of Arkansas has its knickers in a twist

The ACLU is frothing at the mouth to visit the Jonesboro school district with a hefty lawsuit, probably to the tune of millions of local taxpayer dollars. There's just one thing that stands in their way.

They can't find a plaintiff!

It's been six months, and in all that time, not a single member of the community has stepped forward to complain.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 7:22 AM
That article really doesn't say much.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 9:15 AM
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
To those of you that practice a Judeo Christian religion, having the 10 Commandments displayed on a court room wall seems like no big deal. But to those who practice another faith it is. We get your version of God thrown in our faces constantly. We don't need to get it in public buildings as well.

Question: What do you find wrong with looking at the 10 Commandments? God, within the government, has been demoted down to a form of symbolism for justice and peace and not totally a spiritual presence. What within the philosophy of the 10 Commandments do you find so wrong or upsetting? How does it try to pervert your own views with your own religion?
Posted By: theory9 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 9:31 AM
You answered your own question, Charlie.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 10:32 AM
I asked him how the philosophy of the 10 Commandments offends him......How did I ask and answer that?

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Okay, I can see why you don't like them. But some of us don't mind black people sitting next to us in the classroom. Crazy liberals that we are, huh?

That's a masterful display of avoiding the subject.

Everyone has seen the success of the Civil Rights Movements and Worker's Unions IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE LAST CENTURY. The road to damnation is paved with good intentions (except in their case, they're just corrupt bastards).
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 11:07 AM
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
To those of you that practice a Judeo Christian religion, having the 10 Commandments displayed on a court room wall seems like no big deal. But to those who practice another faith it is. We get your version of God thrown in our faces constantly. We don't need to get it in public buildings as well.

Question: What do you find wrong with looking at the 10 Commandments? God, within the government, has been demoted down to a form of symbolism for justice and peace and not totally a spiritual presence. What within the philosophy of the 10 Commandments do you find so wrong or upsetting? How does it try to pervert your own views with your own religion?

I'm not taking the bait P. You'll have to accept that I don't follow them and my faith doesn't either. The ones that command how I should worship, of which there are several, are particularly offensive to me and many others.

And I support your right to worship in any manner that you choose.
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Why do we need to have them there at all? Let's look at them in the context of the law and the government.
1. "I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt..."
This one has no real point to anyone who isn't one of the big three religions.
2. "You shall have no other gods besides Me...Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."
This one specifically would violate the constitution as it is a government monument saying Yaweh is THE god, and that any other religion (or lack of religion) is invalidated. That specifically violates Church/State separation.

3. "You shalt not swear falsely by the name of the Lord..."
See above.

4. "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy"
See above.

5. "Honor your father and your mother..."
Nice theory, but what if your parents abused you? What if they abandoned you? What if you're dad was Charlie Manson?

6. "You shall not murder"
This is already a law, always has been. Its also common sense and nothing special.

7. "You shall not commit adultery"
This falls under morals and is really not the court's place to decide.

8. "You shall not steal"
Again, already a law and not something that needs to be pointed out.

9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
Don't lie essentially. Well, again that's morals or perjury. Either way its covered already.

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house..."
Again a morals thing that has nothing to do with the law.

Basically the commandments are either overtly religious or are redundant. They won't help anyone. No one is going to be walking by the courthouse and see them and say "Yeah, maybe I shouldn't kill that guy."
And they, worst of all, promote one religious idea. Which is strictly against what the founders of this country envisioned.
Posted By: theory9 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 1:44 PM
Quote:

theory9 said:
You answered your own question, Charlie.

Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 4:04 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Why do we need to have them there at all? Let's look at them in the context of the law and the government.

2. "You shall have no other gods besides Me...Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."
This one specifically would violate the constitution as it is a government monument saying Yaweh is THE god, and that any other religion (or lack of religion) is invalidated. That specifically violates Church/State separation.

3. "You shalt not swear falsely by the name of the Lord..."
See above.

4. "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy"
See above.

I noticed how you deliberately took the situations inside of the Bible along with the commandments themselves--Effectively merging the context of the Biblical past with the secular present. Nice deceptive wordplay. In the courts, they have plaques that contain the commandment itself and not the history behind the invention of the 10 Commandents. In that rite, you miss the point of indentifying with the term "philosophy" rather than simply "faith". Just because a philosophy has roots in faith, that does not mean the philosophy is illogical.

I already addressed the content of God as a symbol of justice and order by which the country should stand by as opposed to a spiritual being. All of them actually apply rather well. Why is symbolism so hard to absorb? Is it because other people interpret it differently than you?

1) This entire country's ideals and and ability to give people rights and opportunities stem from the notions concieved at its birth. We were born into a place that gave us the ability and right to live free and equal to everyone else. In effect, we came from it. So it's rather analogous--And before you try to bring up the presence of slavery in America's earliest years, I'd just like to bring up that this country's philosophy's been refining itself for quite a while (note I mean it's own philosophy and not simply the 10 Commandments, which was included later on). All thing's start out as concepts after all (a bit like those [civil rights movements/unions]--Except they went in reverse). I'd also go on to add that it was mainly when religion interceded on state that opinions on pro-slavery lost a lot of leverage. Doesn't say much for the seperation of Church and State.

2) Again, in terms of symbolism, there is analogy between the name "God" and the term of "justice". Do not pervert the country or world with ideals other than a "justice" and especially don't say that they are more correct than said justice.

3) God(Justice) isn't your scapegoat.

4) I was actually ready to concede non-secularity of the 10 Commandments when I got to obeying the Sabbath, but then it occurred to me its nature isn't simply as a day of the week. One of the primary purposes of the Sabbath is to teach/understand about what it means to follow the 10 Commandments. Keeping it, AND its purpose for thought and education, "holy" is the equivilant of keeping it "sacred". And keeping it "sacred" is the equivilant of keeping it "relavent" and, furthermore, "meaningful". It would encourage us to make time to consider the aspects of the philosophy and understand why it does for us exactly what it does.

Quote:

5. "Honor your father and your mother..."
Nice theory, but what if your parents abused you? What if they abandoned you? What if you're dad was Charlie Manson?

"Honoring" doesn't mean to do as they do if that's what you're implying. And again, it's an ideal that the parents be the guiding force for the generations to come. Time and time again, this has been the case. So it could be said that a mother and father aren't technically the individuals who birthed you, but the ones who specifically raised you and went out of their way to teach you. And again, because this is an entire philosophy, the child would be told to honor thy father and thy mother with all other commandments in mind as well. So it would do them "honor" to turn them into the police for wickedness just as it would do them "honor" to reward their raising you with love and wisdom by responding with affection and obedience.

Quote:

6. "You shall not murder"
This is already a law, always has been. Its also common sense and nothing special.

Common sense? Nothing special????? Again, you miss the point of the 10 Commandments as a philosophy. You can't leave anything out of its rules. And I also notice how, at this point, you draw away from your prior thesis that the 10 Commandments are too religious and simply say, "It's nothing special". Where exactly do you think that law came from anyway? If you think the 10 Commandments didn't have a hand its legal ratification, think again.

Quote:

7. "You shall not commit adultery"
This falls under morals and is really not the court's place to decide.

The philosophy put forth by the 10 Commandments is meant to insure a healthy lifestyle to you and those around you. Not simply push an idea of "morals" as if it was anything so trivial. The 10 commandments is the ground root of morals, but, unlike the defintion for morals, the 10 commandments itself isn't about helping your fellow man so much as its about maintaining a state of order. Although that I will admit the philosophy on its own is a hair's breath away from being about morality, there is simply not enough about it, as it stands, to qualify as such. Loving your neighbor and respecting his individuality is about keeping a harmonious relationship within a community. If one were to expand upon "Love thy neighbor" by saying, "It's the right thing to do", it would have crossed that thresh-hold. I reitterate, however, that it hasn't done that. One could say that because this philosophy is trying to establish itself as the proper way--The right way to live one's life so as to be healthy and righteous, that it is, in fact, claiming itself as, "The right thing". This, however, wouldn't be true since the whole concept of morality has not only the undertones of living properly, but also of righteousness. Secularly, this does not exist--Because, according to secularism, the assumption that there is no true "right" or "wrong" way of doing things is predominant. i.e. We are what we are and what we do is what we do, there's no use trying to label our actions. So in the end, "living properly" for sake of health and harmony (the purpose of following the 10 Commandments) is neither "right" nor "wrong", because it makes no assertions as being either "right" or "wrong". It just tells us how we should live for the sake of living.

Quote:

8. "You shall not steal"
Again, already a law and not something that needs to be pointed out.

9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
Don't lie essentially. Well, again that's morals or perjury. Either way its covered already.

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house..."
Again a morals thing that has nothing to do with the law.

Even if these are "morals things", do you think the law would want you to participate in them? If it's the court's and overall law's duty to help and encourage a better society, why wouldn't they want a decrease in, if not total destruction of, lies. Lies, envy, and adultery are what lead to things like murder and theft. Again, this is an underlying philosophy to law. i.e. "To obey the law to the best of your ability, make sure to follow the 10 Commandments." That is not a proclamation of un-secularity through the acceptance of ideals that originated within in; it is, in reality, a suggestion. Pure and simple. The entire philosophy of the 10 Commandments itself (and nothing less than the full ten) is the easiest and quickest way to a good life. No where in the court room did it say that it was the only way, just the best. In

Quote:

And they, worst of all, promote one religious idea. Which is strictly against what the founders of this country envisioned.

Uhhhhh.....No it's not. An idea that comes from a religious background is not overtly religious in nature. God, for example (your primary bane in life), has long since lost His meaning, within the government, as a spiritual presence, and has been rounded down to an ideal entity that we are encouraged to be like. Another example is the fact that killing someone is against the code of Yaweh, but it can also be against the code of a lawful government that doesn't believe in a god. That's essentially why the 10 Commandments, rather that the entire Bible, are singled out within the courtrom.

Also, promoting a certain God was not against the vision of the Founders.
Quote:

Pariah said:
Uhhhhh.....No it's not. An idea that comes from a religious background is not overtly religious in nature. God, for example (your primary bane in life), has long since lost His meaning, within the government, as a spiritual presence, and has been rounded down to an ideal entity that we are encouraged to be like. Another example is the fact that killing someone is against the code of Yaweh, but it can also be against the code of a lawful government that doesn't believe in a god. That's essentially why the 10 Commandments, rather that the entire Bible, are singled out within the courtrom.

First of all I just cut and paste the first list they had on wikipedia under 10 Commandments.
Second, my point is not God is bad (that's never been my bane, organized religion is the thing I don't like. Which is why I'm agnostic.) My point is that the only 10 commandments that are actually worthy of being laws (murder,stealing) are already laws. The others fall under morals and religious laws.
Explain to me why its necessary to keep the Sabath. Or how the Blind lady with the scales isn't technically a graven image.

Quote:

Also, promoting a certain God was not against the vision of the Founders.

Yes it was, otherwise it would be in the Constitution. A lot of them believed in "god" but didn't want it to be a certain religion's god. In fact they wanted god kept out of government after all the problems that had taken place in England with State run churches.
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-27 8:29 PM
Quote:

You're the expert, P. Were there a lot of Celtic and Teutonic tribesmen running around in Egypt circa 1250 BC?
Posted By: BoonzaierBabe06 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 12:02 AM
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 1:37 AM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
First of all I just cut and paste the first list they had on wikipedia under 10 Commandments.

Plaque on Wikipedia

Nowhere on that plaque, the alleged example of non-secularity within state, does it include anything else within the Bible but the Commandments themselves--There's no included context or history behind them included on the plaque. You chose not to follow the innards of this actual example and included context from the Bible to give your case more undue strength.

Quote:

Second, my point is not God is bad (that's never been my bane, organized religion is the thing I don't like. Which is why I'm agnostic.) My point is that the only 10 commandments that are actually worthy of being laws (murder,stealing) are already laws. The others fall under morals and religious laws.

And I covered that.

Quote:

Explain to me why its necessary to keep the Sabath.

Again, the Sabath wasn't simply a time of worship, but greatly a time of learning and recognition. When the Jews or Christians respected their individual Sabbaths, there'd always be reflection on what made law the law.

Quote:

Or how the Blind lady with the scales isn't technically a graven image.

Again, you were the one who chose to insert the context from the Bible. God's expanding on the false gods commandment with the comment on graven images isn't in the courts.

Quote:

Yes it was, otherwise it would be in the Constitution. A lot of them believed in "god" but didn't want it to be a certain religion's god.

Just because there wasn't a constitutional decree that the nation stood by God, that doesn't mean that God perverts their vision. They all had personal, and bitter, feelings towards the belief of God, but they weren't simply concerned with its potential as a belief, but rather as a de-equalizer.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 6:21 AM
Quote:

BoonzaierBabe06 said:

Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Plaque on Wikipedia

Nowhere on that plaque, the alleged example of non-secularity within state, does it include anything else within the Bible but the Commandments themselves--There's no included context or history behind them included on the plaque. You chose not to follow the innards of this actual example and included context from the Bible to give your case more undue strength.

"I am the Lord thy God and thou shall have no other gods before me"????
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

BoonzaierBabe06 said:

Also from the wikipedia article:
Quote:

After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, the Rev. Jerry Falwell remarked that the ACLU, by trying to "secularize America," had provoked the wrath of God, and therefore caused those terrorist attacks. (Falwell later apologized for the remark.) Other critics of the ACLU do not make such strong accusations, but claim that the organization pushes the concept of separation of church and state beyond its original meaning. The ACLU and Jerry Falwell sometimes find themselves on the same side. Notably, the ACLU filed an amicus brief supporting a suit by Falwell against the state of Virginia. The suit, which was successful, overturned the Virginia constitution's ban on the incorporation of Churches. In addition, the ACLU has defended the rights of a Christian church to run anti-Santa ads on Boston subways, the rights to religious expression by jurors, and the rights of Christian students to distribute religious literature in school.[24]

So basically Falwell blamed 9/11 on them and they still defended his rights.
There whole point is to keep church and state seperate, but they still defend the rights of religious groups, even christians.
good point, ray
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 3:07 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
"I am the Lord thy God and thou shall have no other gods before me"????

Review my previous post.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 8:18 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
good point, ray

Quoting yourself is a sign that people may have accidentally missed what you said. Congratulating yourself is a sure sign that people probably intentionally skipped what you said.
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
good point, ray

Quoting yourself is a sign that people may have accidentally missed what you said. Congratulating yourself is a sure sign that people probably intentionally skipped what you said.

I didn't quote myself.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 8:23 PM
Uh, that was his point, Ray.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Uh, that was his point, Ray.

Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-28 10:48 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

BoonzaierBabe06 said:

Also from the wikipedia article:
Quote:

After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, the Rev. Jerry Falwell remarked that the ACLU, by trying to "secularize America," had provoked the wrath of God, and therefore caused those terrorist attacks. (Falwell later apologized for the remark.) Other critics of the ACLU do not make such strong accusations, but claim that the organization pushes the concept of separation of church and state beyond its original meaning. The ACLU and Jerry Falwell sometimes find themselves on the same side. Notably, the ACLU filed an amicus brief supporting a suit by Falwell against the state of Virginia. The suit, which was successful, overturned the Virginia constitution's ban on the incorporation of Churches. In addition, the ACLU has defended the rights of a Christian church to run anti-Santa ads on Boston subways, the rights to religious expression by jurors, and the rights of Christian students to distribute religious literature in school.[24]

So basically Falwell blamed 9/11 on them and they still defended his rights.
There whole point is to keep church and state seperate, but they still defend the rights of religious groups, even christians.

Good point, ray.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 3:52 AM
They also defended NAMBLA....
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 6:18 AM
Quote:

Pariah said:

That seems to be a recurring theme.

What did the defend that's objectionable. Promoting changes to statuatory rape laws?
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 10:38 AM
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Pariah said:

What did the defend that's objectionable. Promoting changes to statuatory rape laws?

You may not be aware of this, but having sex with children is illegal. NAMBLA promotes illegal behavior. But I don't want to acctually have to explain to you why the rape of children is wrong. If you don't know then there's no point discussing it.
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Pariah said:

You may not be aware of this, but having sex with children is illegal. NAMBLA promotes illegal behavior. But I don't want to acctually have to explain to you why the rape of children is wrong. If you don't know then there's no point discussing it.

And I disagree with their defense of them. They were defending the right of Nambla to publish their literature. The ACLU seems to have a blind defense policy where they defend all first ammendment cases, hence their defense of Falwell after he blamed 9/11 on them.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 7:36 PM
Don't worry Ray, I know that YOU wern't the one confused as to what was objectionable about pedophilia. Of all your faults you've never demonstrated that you were a pederast.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 7:38 PM
Oh, that was a compliment, by the way. Feel free to quote it in your sig if you wish.
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 7:58 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Pariah said:

What did they defend that's objectionable. Promoting changes to statuatory rape laws?

And I disagree with their defense of them. They were defending the right of Nambla to publish their literature. The ACLU seems to have a blind defense policy where they defend all first ammendment cases, hence their defense of Falwell after he blamed 9/11 on them.

What exactly did ACLU MA do to raise such controversy? Here's an abstract of the case, Curley v. NAMBLA a civil suit filed in Mass. Court. There is no defense of criminal activity involved in this case. Once again we have the 'grain of truth' to the right's lies.

Curley v. NAMBLA The ACLU of Massachusetts is representing the North American Man Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) and a number of individual NAMBLA members in a civil lawsuit brought in U.S. District Court.

ACLUM's motion to dismiss the suit on the grounds that the claims were barred by the First Amendment was denied by the court, which noted that the complaint could be read to suggest that the defendants did more than to make available the material contained in their publications and on their web site.

In other words, a trial on evidence of complicity in crimes could go forward. IS THERE ANY SUCH EVIDENCE?

In a subsequent order, the court dismissed the claims against NAMBLA as an organization, holding that, as an unincorporated association, it could not be sued in its own name.

The court's rulings allow the remaining defendants to renew their request for dismissal of the suit based on a factual showing that their conduct was limited to the expression of ideas and information. Attorneys: John Reinstein, Sarah Wunsch.
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Oh, that was a compliment, by the way. Feel free to quote it in your sig if you wish.

Thanks man, that means a lot. If it means anything to you I never thought you were a pedophile either.
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-11-29 9:06 PM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Thanks man, that means a lot. If it means anything to you I never thought you were a pedophile either.

Get a room, guys!
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-02 5:17 AM
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Ummm, where exactly in the bill of rights or the constitution does there say that there is seperation of church and state????

You answer me that and I'll let you have my password....

It doesn't..only the no laws for or against religion thing....
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-02 5:18 AM
That is an example of an ACLU lie...

edited to add...

And don't get me wrong the ACLU has done some absolutely amazing things...like unions for example..but they too got corrupt and too big and too political...instead of just doing the right thing for people it started to become about power..in the 60's and 70's no less.
Quote:

Pariah said:
Ummm, where exactly in the bill of rights or the constitution does there say that there is seperation of church and state????

You answer me that and I'll let you have my password....

It doesn't..only the no laws for or against religion thing....

Quote:

wikipedia

In the United States, separation of church and state is governed by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and by legal precedents, some quite controversial, interpreting that clause. Many other democratic governments around the world have similar clauses in their respective constitutions. The actual term, "separation of church and state", does not appear in the constitution, but rather comes from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to a group identifying themselves as the Danbury Baptists. Ulysses S. Grant also called for Americans to "Keep the church and state forever separate."

Full Wiki article
Quote:

Thomas Jefferson:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

Quote:

Regarding religion, the first amendment to the US Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" both these clauses, known as the "establishment clause" and the "free exercise clause" respectively, are significant. To give perspective, there was a great conservation of language in the Bill of Rights; the intention was to avoid creating loopholes, while still providing a buffer between the Legislature and the most basic rights of the people. It is significant, then, that there are two clauses where one would suffice, were the intention only to prevent religious establishment or only to protect free exercise.

At the time of the passage of the Bill of Rights, several states had established churches. For example, in 1854 the State supreme court of Maine declared that the local school board had the right to expel a 15 year old girl for refusing to read aloud a portion of the King James translation of the Bible to her class; her family's religion required her to read only the Douay Catholic translation of the Bible. [3] All of the early official state churches were disestablished by the 1820s, including the Congregationalist establishment in Danbury Baptists. It is commonly accepted that, under the doctrine of Incorporation - which uses the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as the vehicle by which the protections and restrictions of the Bill of Rights are applied to the states - they could not be reestablished today. (Justice Thomas has occasionally made note of a view, held by a small number of constitutional scholars, that the states could still establish official religions today; under this view, the establishment clause cannot be incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment, because under its arcane wording, it is a "hands-off" directive aimed solely at Congress. Others take the view that so long as religion is established by the government, "establishment of religion" is "establishment of religion" no matter whether Congress is directly involved.)

Quote:

Prior to the inclusion of the Bill of Rights, the only mention of religious freedom in the Constitution was a clause forbidding any "religious test" for government employees. This has been called the "no religious test" clause, and is found at the end of Article VI, Section 3 (the final clause of the original Constitution save only for the Ratification Clause stating under what conditions the new Constitution would be deemed to be valid and in effect), which reads in part "but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or trust under the United States."

Just on a side note, this is in the Constitution and Bush saying that Miers' religion was an issue in his picking her kind of violates the constitution.
Quote:

The Tripoli Treaty of 1796 between the United States and the Barbary States, specifically stated that "the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion". Many are of the view that containing paragraph (known as Article 11), which was written in a document endorsed both by the Congress of the time and by then-president John Adams, taken in context with similar writings of the founding fathers, supports the idea of a secular state. It is of note that the document was revised in 1805 to exclude Article 11.

Quote:

The phrase "separation of church and state" became a definitive part of Establishment Clause jurisprudence in Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1 (1947). Everson also was the first case to interpret the Clause as imposing a restraint on the states as well as the federal government, based upon the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

In 1962, the Supreme Court banned from public schools all public prayers and religious readings done for religious purposes. The Supreme Court continued to allow private prayer. As such, any teacher, faculty, or student can pray in school, in accordance with their own religion. However, they may not lead such prayers in class, or in other "official" school settings such as assemblies or programs. Even "non-sectarian" teacher-led prayers are not allowed, e.g. "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers, and our country," which was part of the prayer required by the New York State Board of Regents prior to the decision of the Warren Court in Engel v. Vitale.

The court noted that it "is a matter of history that this very practice of establishing governmentally composed prayers for religious services was one of the reasons which caused many of our early colonists to leave England and seek religious freedom in America."

Posted By: Pig Iran Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-03 1:58 AM
So you agree with me then?

Precedent is BS, because next year precedent can swing the other way.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-03 6:01 AM
Actually, Ray, all those things you cited are people, including Jefferson, INTERPRETATING the constitution to mean there is a "separation between church and state."

However, as Pariah noted, that phrase itself does not actually appear anywhere in the First Amendment.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-12 9:54 PM
A Christian radio station in New York is encouraging its listeners to send Christmas cards to the ACLU.

I, for one, have decided to put aside my "hate" for the ACLU and send them a nice card or two, or three dozen.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Actually, Ray, all those things you cited are people, including Jefferson, INTERPRETATING the constitution to mean there is a "separation between church and state."

However, as Pariah noted, that phrase itself does not actually appear anywhere in the First Amendment.

so you're saying that one of the authors of the constitution is wrong in his interpretation of the meaning of the constitution?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-12 10:45 PM
Actually, James Madison wrote the First Amendment, not Jefferson.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-13 2:17 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Actually, Pig Iron said that.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-13 2:19 AM
Shut up, boy. I'm trying to make you look good.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-21 11:49 PM
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-22 12:05 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Actually, Ray, all those things you cited are people, including Jefferson, INTERPRETATING

'Interpretating'? Who the fuck are you? WBAM?
Posted By: magicjay38 Re: Why Do We Hate the ACLU - 2005-12-22 12:05 AM
There goes Disney. Once again they've fucked up a perfectly good story! Jadis was drawn by a team of white horses, not bears. And everyone ends up in the Land Beyond the Seas, not an especially happy ending. But then, neither is the end of the Hunchback of Notre Dame in the book.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Actually, James Madison wrote the First Amendment, not Jefferson.

I said one of the authors of the constitution, not the author of the first ammendment. And they were all involved in deciding what would be in there.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2006-06-28 8:57 PM
The ACLU has recently tried to censor its board members from speaking out when they disagree with ACLU policy.

What has got some long-term members of the ACLU particularly upset is that the ACLU is now supporting censorship of pro-life advertising:

"Mr. Kahn, a former investment company manager from Forest Hills, said what moved him to action was the ACLU's decision to endorse a bill that would regulate advertising by counseling centers operated by groups that oppose legalized abortion.

"That got me because I'm a firm believer in content-neutral defense of free speech. The fact that the ACLU would abandon that position was an earthquake," Mr. Kahn said. "The organization has lost its way."

This is a good example of why some of us hate the ACLU. They claim to believe in free speech for everyone. However, as demonstrated here, they are actually only for certain opinions.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2006-09-28 2:19 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
The ACLU has recently tried to censor its board members from speaking out when they disagree with ACLU policy.

This is a good example of why some of us hate the ACLU. They claim to believe in free speech for everyone. However, as demonstrated here, they are actually only for certain opinions.

Some old-time members don't like the current direction of the ACLU and are organizing to reform it.

More than 30 longtime supporters of the American Civil Liberties Union are calling for the ouster of the organization's leadership, saying it has failed to adhere to the principles it demands of others

There's a lot to reform.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-01-04 3:46 AM
ACLU Fights Against AIDS Education

The ACLU is arguing before a federal appeals court that the United States is funding AIDS prevention unconstitutionally.

Specifically, they argue that having a ban on funds to organizations that promote commercial sex work inhibits free speech. It should be no surprise that the ACLU is in bed with those who want to legalize prostitution.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-03-09 2:52 AM
Bill O'Reilly:

In the summer of 2003, Operator Predator was launched by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agency. The investigation has targeted individuals who make and consume child pornography worldwide. Because much of this stuff is manufactured overseas and shipped to America, ICE agents took the lead in tracking down the bad guys in the USA.

According to ICE agents, one of those who used a credit card to purchase child porn is attorney Charles Rust-Tierney, the former president of the American Civil Liberties Union in Virginia. Tierney was arrested and charged on Feb. 23.

One of the images Tierney was in possession of showed a little girl tied up and screaming while being violently raped.

Tierney, 51, is a well-known figure in the Washington, D.C. area and strenuously fought against limits on Internet access in libraries.

The ACLU in Virginia successfully blocked any filtering of objectionable material in Loudon County libraries.
Posted By: PJP Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-03-09 2:53 AM
ACLU=douchebags
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-03-09 10:06 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Bill O'Reilly:

In the summer of 2003, Operator Predator was launched by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agency. The investigation has targeted individuals who make and consume child pornography worldwide. Because much of this stuff is manufactured overseas and shipped to America, ICE agents took the lead in tracking down the bad guys in the USA.

According to ICE agents, one of those who used a credit card to purchase child porn is attorney Charles Rust-Tierney, the former president of the American Civil Liberties Union in Virginia. Tierney was arrested and charged on Feb. 23.

One of the images Tierney was in possession of showed a little girl tied up and screaming while being violently raped.

Tierney, 51, is a well-known figure in the Washington, D.C. area and strenuously fought against limits on Internet access in libraries.

The ACLU in Virginia successfully blocked any filtering of objectionable material in Loudon County libraries.

Your private message inbox is full.

Karl wanted me to tell you...
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Bill O'Reilly:

Your private message inbox is full.

Karl wanted me to tell you...

Sincerly,
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 4:03 AM
The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2007 has recently been put before Congress by Ted Kennedy. It is designed to create "hate crimes" throughout the USA (in other words, punishing people for their thoughts as well as deeds)

The ACLU welcomes it.
Posted By: Brad Lee Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 4:24 AM
This has to stop.
Posted By: Uschi Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 5:31 AM
the ACLU protects NAMBLA. I know more than two men who were raped before they turned 10 years old by this one vile bastard. NAMBLA is the most horrid organization in America, except ACLU is worse for protecting them.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 6:00 AM
Quote:

Uschi said:
the ACLU protects NAMBLA. I know more than two men who were raped before they turned 10 years old by this one vile bastard. NAMBLA is the most horrid organization in America, except ACLU is worse for protecting them.

NAMBLA makes me sick. I got sent to the school shrink when I was in military school as a teenager ( Not my idea to go there! ) when I had run away from the damn place twice.

The first thing the fucking shrink said was to pull my pants down.

I complied.

Not because I wanted to.

I obeyed because in military school, the adult and the kid officers could hit you.. and they hit hard!

That sick fuck would jack off watching me. He never touched me, but I had to see him a few more times and I had to take all my clothes off each time while he jo'd.

The experience was totally humiliating.

Thank God I finally got kicked out of that horrible school.

I know it wasn't as bad as getting raped, but at the time, it made me feel like shit.

So, anyone who molests a kid or just makes a kid stand there naked in front of him while he plays with himself is a sick fuckhead who ought to be castrated.
Posted By: rex Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 6:03 AM
That explains so much.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 7:31 AM
It does indeed.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-04-19 7:10 PM
Yes. It finally explains why rex and Pariah are jealous of Beardguy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-05-08 10:45 PM
Intelligence Squared reports (PDF format) that "visitors to the ACLU's New York office are confronted when they come in with big signs on the wall that say, 'Your bags are subject to search.' "
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-05-24 5:33 AM
Wendy Kaminer, a lawyer and author, argues that "The ACLU is becoming very selective about what it considers "free" speech:"

Consider its intervention in a successful federal court challenge to an unconstitutional speech code at Georgia Tech, brought by the Alliance Defense Fund in 2006 on behalf of two conservative religious students.

The ACLU of Georgia filed an amicus brief proposing [an] "antiharassment" policy that included a prohibition on "injurious communications . . . directed toward an individual because of their characteristics or beliefs."

In other words: Students should be punished for sharply criticizing or satirizing each other's beliefs if their remarks are deemed "injurious."

The ACLU was even AWOL in one of the most visible and frightening free-speech controversies in recent years--the Muhammad cartoons, which many condemned as "hate speech." When Muslim groups violently protested the cartoons (first published in the Danish press), when American newspapers declined to publish them for fear of reprisals, and when the U.S. State Department condemned their publication--the ACLU exercised its right to remain silent. In fact, its press office actually advised ducking questions about the cartoons

Why did the ACLU avoid issuing a loud and clear public statement decrying violent efforts to suppress the Muhammad cartoons? Its silence may have reflected growing sympathy among ACLU leaders and supporters for restricting what many liberals condemn as hate speech. "Take hate speech," Mr. Romero remarked to the New York Times in May 2006. "While believing in free speech, we do not believe in or condone speech that attacks minorities."

Liberal sympathy for restricting hate speech may also explain the failure of the New York Civil Liberties Union to oppose the New York City Council's recent, symbolic moratorium on use of the n-word....If the City Council passed a symbolic resolution denouncing flag burning or criticizing the president, I'd bet my yearly contribution to the ACLU that [they] would oppose it vociferously.

Finally, the ACLU has affirmatively supported legislative restrictions on speech it does not like, even when it is clearly political.

[For example], the national board is seriously considering adopting a policy on commercial speech that would support restrictions on advertising by nonprofit antiabortion clinics.

This is not the same organization that once took pride in its costly, principled decision to defend the rights of neo-Nazis to march in a community of Holocaust survivors in Skokie, Ill. Of course the ACLU hasn't definitively abandoned its defense of speech: Large, national organizations change incrementally. But people should no longer depend on the ACLU to defend what they preach (especially at a cost), if it disapproves of what they practice.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-06-05 11:02 PM
The Associated Press:

Ohio has found itself in the crosshairs of the latest national debate over the death penalty: Should executioners' identities be protected?

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio begged the question with a wide-ranging request for state records seeking information on the May 24 execution of an inmate whose veins took 90 minutes to find and whose death came a record-setting 16 minutes after the toxic drugs began to flow.

Among other things, the ACLU asked for the names of Christopher Newton's execution team--a group of volunteer medics and guards whose identities are routinely shielded by the state.

I don't have a problem with the ACLU wanting more information on why this execution was bungled. That seems like a legitimate area of public inquiry.

However, as far as it relates to the identities of the volunteer medics...I thought the ACLU was all about protecting the right to privacy.
Quote:

the G-man said:
However, as far as it relates to the identities of the volunteer medics...I thought the ACLU was all about protecting the right to privacy.

I think once there's a fuck up, the executioner loses his right to privacy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-08-12 4:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

JUDGE STRIKES DOWN HAZELTON'S ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION LAW

• A U.S. District judge overturned an immigration law in Hazleton, Pa., that punished landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and businesses that that hired them, saying the law was unconstitutional.

Dozens of towns and cities across the country have passed similar laws, but Witold Walczak, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, which represented the plaintiffs, said the ruling should freeze those efforts.

"This decision should be a blaring red stoplight for local officials thinking of copying Hazleton's misguided and unconstitutional law," he said, reported the AP.

I wonder how this is unconstitutional.

And --of course!-- the ACLU was involved. God forbid we should establish laws to protect the citizens of the United States and keep illegals out.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2007-08-20 8:37 PM
Wall St Journal:

• The latest battle of religion in the public square is unfolding in Dearborn, Michigan, a city with one of the highest Muslim populations in the country. At the University of Michigan's local campus, administrators have recently refitted several school bathrooms to include small footbaths in the corner--an accommodation for Muslim students who must perform ritual washing as part of their daily observance. The issue has more than a few of the usual suspects trying to explain their way out of their usual positions on the separation of church and state.

The Detroit chapter of the ACLU has scrambled to find a way to recuse itself from the matter, claiming that the footbaths qualify as secular since they could be used by non-Muslims, and therefore don't cross the group's usual bright church-state line. Further, the ACLU explains, the university's decision to take on the $25,000 expense was motivated primarily "by health and safety" because some students didn't like washing their hands in the sinks after others students had washed their feet. If that hadn't been the case, the group says this religious accommodation would surely have merited greater investigation and criticism.

This is the same ACLU chapter that in 2005 objected to a high-school wrestling coach saying a prayer with his team before meets, calling the action "inherently coercive." And the ACLU of Michigan is already on the defensive for its non-action this time. In a letter explaining its silence regarding university footbaths, the ACLU notes that it "has often come to the defense of other religions when the state has attempted to interfere with their religious expression." The letter even includes a list of cases in which the group has defended Christian clients. Too bad none of the examples prove much of a parallel to the current recusal over state recognition of a religious practice.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 4:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
the [Atheist] movement in the US is mainly backed by the ACLU, theyve went as far as to challenge kids praying out loud at school. it's really sickening.

Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Well the ACLU will back any sort of crazy, dude. Right now they're weighing in the that Texas polygamy case. Completely rediculous.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 8:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Wall St Journal:

• The latest battle of religion in the public square is unfolding in Dearborn, Michigan, a city with one of the highest Muslim populations in the country.

This is the same ACLU chapter that in 2005 objected to a high-school wrestling coach saying a prayer with his team before meets, calling the action "inherently coercive." And the ACLU of Michigan is already on the defensive for its non-action this time. In a letter explaining its silence regarding university footbaths, the ACLU notes that it "has often come to the defense of other religions when the state has attempted to interfere with their religious expression." The letter even includes a list of cases in which the group has defended Christian clients. Too bad none of the examples prove much of a parallel to the current recusal over state recognition of a religious practice.

I have relatives in the Dearborn area, which has a huge Muslim population, as does the rest of the Illinois/Michigan area.

They tell me about endless harassment lawsuits by local muslims, that object to traditional Christian expressions of faith in schools, businesses, and government, like nativity scenes at Christmastime... while simultaneously pushing for their own islamic expressions of faith in public and private offices.

Again: We are a society founded on Christian principles (four mentions of God in the Declaration of Independence, and one "in the year of our lord" in the U.S. Constitution, as well as expressions by virtually all the founding fathers in their writings that teaching of Biblical principles was intended and "essential" to the health of American democracy) the lack of which they firmly believed doomed all previous attempts at democracy to failure.

What the ACLU advocates is, while we are at war with radical islam, the equilvalent of opening up chapters of Hitler Youth and Japanese Bushido in the U.S., while they simultaneously try to shut down any institutions that positively reinforce the stability of our own culture.

Muslims moved to our country and should be, as a condition of immigration, be expected to assimilate to OUR culture, not we to theirs. Otherwise they should go back to their islamic nations, where their true loyalties are.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 8:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
the [Atheist] movement in the US is mainly backed by the ACLU, theyve went as far as to challenge kids praying out loud at school. it's really sickening.

That really sickens me, that even silently praying is considered threatening, and banned from schools.

To say nothing of the double-standard that allows spread of Islamic practices, while suppressing Christian practices.

Praise Allah, and his loyal servant, the ACLU !
Posted By: rex Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 8:40 PM

I have relatives in the Dearborn area, which has a huge Muslim population, as does the rest of the Illinois/Michigan area.

They tell me about endless harassment lawsuits by local muslims, that object to traditional Christian expressions of faith in schools, businesses, and government, like nativity scenes at Christmastime... while simultaneously pushing for their own islamic expressions of faith in public and private offices.

How do we know your relatives aren't hateful racists like you? Can we really believe this?

Quote:
Again: We are a society founded on Christian principles (four mentions of God in the Declaration of Independence, and one "in the year of our lord" in the U.S. Constitution, as well as expressions by virtually all the founding fathers in their writings that teaching of Biblical principles was intended and "essential" to the health of American democracy) the lack of which they firmly believed doomed all previous attempts at democracy to failure.

You really are bad at history aren't you? How many times have we been over this? America was founded to get away from religious zealots, not founded by them.

Quote:
Muslims moved to our country and should be, as a condition of immigration, be expected to assimilate to OUR culture, not we to theirs. Otherwise they should go back to their islamic nations, where their true loyalties are.

Nothing racist about that. Nothing at all.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 9:04 PM

My facts stand up to your fishing/trolling any day of the week.

Pull something crusty out of your sock drawer, rex, and just let it go.
Posted By: rex Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 9:07 PM
Calling me a sock fucker does not prove you right. You have no facts. You never do. All you have is hatred and racist opinions.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 9:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: rex

I've got nothin'.

Posted By: Chant Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 10:11 PM
[quote=Wonder Boy]
 Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a racist statement. Indeed, people immigrating to a different country with a different culture should accept that the local culture is the dominating one. They should adapt to that culture and accept that this is how it is done in whatever country they immigrate to.

That is not to say that they should adopt the culture and abandon their own, not at all. But at the very least, we should expect them to respect our culture, our laws and our way of living, and not interfere with it.

That their own culture can add and expand upon the culture they enter is not neccessarily a bad thing. Surely Islamic culture has many valuable facets that can be introduced into ours to create a more diverse and colourful society.

But they have to understand and accept that certain practises common in their homelands are not welcome in the western world, others even outright banned (stoning, slavery, honour-killing, etc.)

Let us take Honour killing as an example. While it may not be legal, as we understand legality, in various islamic countries, it is many countries generally accepted. Or at the very least, people turn a blind eye.
But honour killing is murder. And in our part of the world we don't do that (well, most of us don't) It is illegal. And if a muslim cannot, or will not understand such a simple principle, that in the western world we do not kill for honour, then there is no place for him here.

Raping. We've had quite a few cases here in Denmark where muslims have raped, even gang-raped danish women. And when they are caught, which they all eventually are, they are put before a judge. What is interesting to note is that the rapists are unable to understand what is they have done wrong.
They are either sick, twisted and highly in need of help, or they are indoctrinated to believe that if you do not conform with their culture/religion, then you are not worthy of respect.

In Islam women are generally taught to wear Burqas, to not smile in the public forum and to avert their gaze from other men. And the boys are taught that this is how a proper woman acts, a clean woman, a moral woman.
Whereas danish women are raised to be confident, to smile and laugh when they want to, to meet other people's gaze, to not look away and to be proud of who and what they.

This naturally conflicts with what these muslim boys are taught, so a natural development could be that these boys think of danish women, or even western women in general as whores who have no societal standing and thus raping cannot possibly be wrong.

But it is wrong!

Seriously Rex, would it be too much to ask for muslims, or even immigrants of other cultures and religions, to leave such facets of their culture at home when they come to our part of the world?

It's not racism, it's common sense.

Whether or not Wonderboy is a racist is a different discussion I don't much care to entertain
Posted By: rex Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 10:25 PM

I've got nothin'.

Changing my posts. Another sign you can't back up your racist views.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 10:54 PM
You know, rex, if you're going to troll WB on allegations of racism, you might want to stop saying things about how paying taxes is just "giving black people" money.

I thought paying taxes was giving black people money. Now they want more?

This is far from the first time you've made anti-black statements.

Furthermore, the above-quoted post was a reply to whomod, not WB. Therefore, it appears highly unlikely you were trying to be sarcastic towards WB.

If you want to troll, WB, that's your right. God knows you have nothing else in your life to take pride in. But consider some new material that doesn't give rise to a verifiable charge of hyprocrisy.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:22 PM

muslims aren't a race. just saying is all.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:28 PM
rex knows that. If anybody but WB had posted it, and a lot of us have expressed similar sentiments, he wouldn't be attacking it. But we all know that rex thinks he's Foghorn Leghorn and WB is that barnyard dog.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:31 PM
thing is, that'll keep happening as long as wb keeps taking the bait. whether or not you approve of reax's choice of entertainments, it seems to pay off for him pretty consistently.
Posted By: Chant Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
thing is, that'll keep happening as long as wb keeps taking the bait. whether or not you approve of reax's choice of entertainments, it seems to pay off for him pretty consistently.

Indeed, I have long wondered why wb keeps reacting to it.

Seriously, this is the same shit with Oakley. People kept on pushing him because he kept reacting to it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-04-21 11:39 PM
No matter how much you try to explain that to WB, he'll never get it.
Posted By: Genocidal Asshole Re: Why the Hatred for the ACLU? - 2008-05-21 6:56 AM
The ACLU just doesn't understand something. We, in government...are...better then everbody else. The ACLU's worried about people's "right"( ). Guess I just don't see what the big deal is.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-05-22 7:30 PM
ACLU: Police Enforcing Immigration Laws 'Terrorize' America
  • State and local police who help enforce federal immigration laws are targeting Latinos and "terrorizing" people across the United States, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said at a briefing on Capitol Hill on Monday.

"Local law enforcement has been given the green light to engage in racial profiling," Joanne Lin, a legislative counsel with the ACLU, said at the briefing held by the Appleseed Foundation, a non-profit network of 16 public interest justice centers in the United States and Mexico.

Reasonable people can disagree on how to best deal with illegal immigration, amnesty and similar issues. Enforcing the law as written in no way makes one a terrorist, any more than urging reform does.

Typical over the top rhetoric from the ACLU.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2008-12-26 12:04 AM
New York Post:
  • The American Civil Liberties Union sent out an emergency appeal to card-carrying members and donors this week after realizing it is a victim of Bernard Madoff's self-confessed Ponzi scheme.

"We've been hit hard in a way that no one could forecast," Alma Montcla, director of administration and finance for the left-leaning advocacy group, wrote this week.

"Two foundations that have been incredibly generous and longstanding supporters of our national security and reproductive freedom work have been victimized by the Madoff scandal - forced to close their doors and terminate their grants," the plea said.

"That means that $850,000 in support we were counting on from these foundations in 2009 simply won't exist."

The ACLU reported $80 million in income in 2007.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-01-18 2:59 AM
The Weekly Standard: The ACLU seeks to free a terrorist responsible for the USS Cole bombing.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-01-18 8:25 AM
It was just a college prank at sea.

-Pro
Posted By: iggy Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-01-18 9:19 AM
Nothing like what your friends have to run to Cuba for...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jLm4TRj7YzQZNX9F_gmmcy9fcjpgD95P9A5G0
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Why I Don't Hate the ACLU - 2009-01-23 5:08 AM
 Quote:
ACLU to sue Twin Cities charter school that caters to Muslims
The Minnesota ACLU has filed suit against TIZA, a charter school in Inver Grove Heights and Blaine, claiming it is promoting the Muslim religion.

By RANDY FURST and SARAH LEMAGIE, Star Tribune Staff Writers

The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota filed suit Wednesday against a publicly funded charter school alleging that it is promoting the Muslim religion and is leasing school space from a religious organization without following state law.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis against Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, known as TIZA, and the Minnesota Department of Education, which the ACLU says is at fault for failing to uncover and stop the alleged transgressions. The suit names the department and Alice Seagren, the state education commissioner, as co-defendants.

The department investigated the Twin Cities school last year, and the school said it had taken corrective actions in response to concerns about the practicing of religion on campus. TIZA said in a written statement on Wednesday that the school is nonsectarian and in compliance with federal and state regulations.

But the ACLU claims the school is using federal and state money to promote religion in violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“TIZA has received millions of dollars of taxpayer money to support what is, in essence, a private religious school,” said Charles Samuelson, state ACLU executive director.

Star/Tribune
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-03-14 12:19 AM
Parental Consent Policy Riles ACLU: ACLU urges California district to let kids leave school for medical services — including abortions — without consent.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-03-14 10:39 AM
Truancy laws are shit.

But making exceptions just for the sake of abortion reeks of retarded more than usual.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-07-23 5:32 PM
ACLU, ACORN, Sue to Overturn Penn. Law Against Voter Fraud:
  • ACORN canvassers are facing convictions for voter registration fraud in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, so what does ACORN do?

Sue to change the statute that outlaws the fraud, of course.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania and ACORN's get-out-the-dead-people-to-vote affiliate Project Vote filed a federal lawsuit today in an effort to snuff out the Keystone State's anti-election fraud law.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-08-04 7:26 AM
Snooping for clunkers: Government trades car credits for access to computer files
  • It's always important to read the fine print. Car dealers were reminded of that rule when logging onto the government's "cash for clunkers" Web page. In return for information about the Car Allowance Rebate System, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required that dealers surrender all privacy on their private computer networks.

NHTSA's warning said: "When logged on to the CARS system, your computer is considered a Federal computer system and is the property of the U.S. Government. Any or all uses of this system and all files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected and disclosed to authorized CARS, [Department of Transportation] and law enforcement personnel, as well as authorized officials of other agencies, both domestic and foreign."

The American Civil Liberties Union showed no interest in investigating the invasion of privacy and would only comment to us that "it is hard to believe that [the Obama administration] would do something like this."
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2009-12-10 5:23 PM
ACLU Loses Donor, One-Fourth of Yearly Donations: The American Civil Liberties Union has lost a quarter of its yearly donations after a major donor cut off $19 million in annual donations because of economic difficulties.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2010-01-21 9:25 PM
ACLU Requests Information On Predator Drone Program

Short of an invasion, there are only a limited number of effective weapons against terrorists in such places as Pakistan and Yemen. The most lethal are the drones.

So naturally, the ACLU is trying to put an end to their use.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Why We Hate the ACLU - 2010-02-22 6:47 AM
NYCLU challenges Monserrate expulsion

• The New York Civil Liberties Union has filed papers in federal court supporting Senator Hiram Monserrate’s lawsuit challenging his recent expulsion from the New York State Senate.

The NYCLU’s amicus brief, filed Wednesday afternoon in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, maintains that the Senate was wrong to expel Monserrate, effectively nullifying an election, when the more “narrowly tailored” remedy of censuring him was available. Additionally, it argues that the lack of any standards governing the expulsion of a senator endangers New Yorkers’ voting rights and First Amendment rights to support a candidate and have that candidate serve is elected.

While Monserrate was an NYCLU Board Member from 1998 to 2001, that in no way influenced the NYCLU’s position.

Here's what he did to get expelled:
  • Between his election and swearing in to office, he was charged with slashing his girlfriend Karla Giraldo's face with a broken glass and then forcibly pulling her down the hall of his Queens apartment building on the way to the hospital.

Yeah, I can see why the NY Chapter of the American Criminal Lobbying Union jumped in to save his job.

© RKMBs