RKMBs
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:24 AM
Barack Obama to be America's first black president

• Americans tonight entrusted their fate for at least the next four years to Barack Obama, who made history by becoming the first African-American to win the US presidency.

Scenes of jubilation broke out among Democratic supporters as the US TV networks declared that the inexperienced but inspirational Democratic candidate had been elected president at around 4am GMT, after a momentous day that saw voters turn out in huge numbers.

As one state after another fell into the Democratic column, Obama clinched a transformational election, comparable to Franklin D Roosevelt's in 1932, John F Kennedy's in 1960 and Bill Clinton's in 1992.

In an early blow to John McCain's hopes, US television networks projected that Obama would win Pennsylvania, where the Republican badly needed to win to stand a chance of capturing the White House.

In another big setback for McCain, the Fox News network projected that Obama would win Ohio, the state that ultimately decided the 2004 race between George Bush and John Kerry.

No Republican has won the White House without Ohio. With Ohio and Pennsylvania in his pocket, Obama would be well on his way towards an overall majority.

Piling on the humiliation for the Republicans, Obama was projected to win Virginia by Fox News, the first time the state has voted for a Democrat in a presidential race since 1964, when Lyndon Johnson took the state.

Obama was projected to hold on to all the states the Democrats took in 2004, and win half a dozen or more of the battleground states that had been held by the Republicans.

The Democrat was also projected to win New Hampshire, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington DC, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and New Jersey.

McCain was projected to win Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia and South Carolina.

Despite the encouraging early results, the Obama campaign team urged caution, fearful that a late surge of voters casting their ballots on their way home might yet cause upsets in key states, as happened to the Democratic candidate, John Kerry, in 2004.

Fears that many white voters would fail, in the privacy of the polling booth, to vote for a black candidate appeared to be unfounded, suggesting that race is becoming less of an issue in the US.

Americans voted in record numbers throughout the day as they finally got the chance to turn their backs on eight years of George Bush and choose a new president after America's longest and costliest election campaign.

From the eastern shores of Virginia, across the industrial heartland of Ohio, and on to the Rocky mountain states of Colorado and New Mexico and beyond, poll workers and voters reported long lines and waits of several hours in the most eagerly anticipated US election for half a century.

Turnout was at levels not seen since women were first given the vote in 1920. Election officials predicted turnout would come close to 90% in Virginia and Colorado, and 80% in Ohio and Missouri.

Exit polls gave Obama double-digit leads in states that had been bitterly contested, and on which the outcome depended. The odds had been stacked against McCain from the start, linked, as he was, to President George Bush, with his near-record low popularity ratings, hostility towards the Iraq war and an impending recession.

But McCain managed to hold his own until mid-September, when the Wall Street crash saw Obama open up a commanding lead.

The next president will inherit horrendous economic problems that will limit the scope of his ambitions. Obama, in his final rallies, was already tempering his early promise of change with warnings about how he would have to curb some of his more ambitious plans, trying to lower expectations that he would be able to move quickly on health care and education reform.

The stock market experienced its biggest election day rally in 24 years on expectation of an Obama victory as the Dow Jones industrial averages surged 300 points, or 3%, to close at 9,625.28 points.

Exit polls nationwide provided an early suggestion that it was going to be Obama's night showing that the top concern of 62% of voters was the economy, the issue on which voters said they trusted him more than McCain and blame much of the financial crisis on the Bush administration.

Other early exit poll figures also appeared to be good indicators for Obama, with 57% saying they felt Obama was more in touch with them than the 40% who said the same about McCain.

Reflecting the intensity of the campaign, Obama and McCain put in a final burst of campaigning after casting their own votes. Obama made a final dash from his home in Chicago to neighbouring Indiana, which was Republican in 2004.

Reporters travelling with him reported that the candidate was in a subdued rather than celebratory mood, perhaps reflecting the news of the death of his grandmother on Monday. Obama told them that whatever happened, the campaign, the costliest in US history at over $1bn (£629m) as well as the longest, had been "extraordinary".

Early expectations were of record turnout levels, with the morning bringing long lines at polling stations. However, exit polls later in the day saw voters under 30, the target demographic of the Obama camp, voting at about the same levels as in 2004.

That would be a disappointment for the Obama camp which had been hoping that young voters would buck the tradition of showing enthusiasm for a candidate and then failing to turn out on the day.

Exit polls did chart a rise in African-American turn-out.
    CNN, based on the exit polls, projected that Obama would win Vermont, no great surprise as it is traditionally Democrat

Independent election monitors reported sporadic instances of delayed openings of polling stations, broken voting machines, ballot shortages, voter confusion and occasional abuse in a number of battleground states including Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

The McCain camp raised separate its own charges of irregularities accusing Black Panther activists holding night sticks of standing outside Philadelphia polling stations in an attempt to intimidate white voters.
    McCain also accused out-of-state Obama volunteers of casting votes in Florida, and of voters casting multiple ballots in Florida.

In the battle for Congress, the Democrats picked up four seats to increase their majority in the Senate to 55 out of 100 seats. Democrats were hoping to win a Senate majority of 60, the magic number to override blocking tactics by Republicans. In the House, the Democrats were looking to tighten their majority to 261-174, from 235-199.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States

• As expected, the moment the polls closed in California, Oregon and Washington state, netwrok projections declared that Barack Obama would win all three.

And with those three, based on such calls, the senator from Illinois passed the 270-electoral-vote mark needed to win the presidency.

Not only will he be the nation's first biracial president, he also will be the first native of Kenya to move into the White House.

He is the first sitting senator to claim the ultimate political prize since John Kennedy in 1960 (as would have been John McCain).

There is one trend that continues -- Obama will be the fourth straight president with an Ivy League educational pedigree.

-- Don Frederick
Posted By: Balloon Knot Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:28 AM
Posted By: URG Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:30 AM
\:lol\:
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:32 AM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:38 AM
I haven't felt this afraid for America since the cold war.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:45 AM
Sucks to be you \:\) .
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:46 AM
Only liberals take joy in the destruction of this country.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: Balloon Knot

And Obama did it all in a country filled with people like this.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber

Losing hurts, don't it?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:48 AM
Wow even though a black man has won the highest office in the land by vote of the people, you're still going to stick to the race card.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:48 AM
Hush, BSAMS. I am trying hard to negotiate safe passage for you and your family out of the former free state of Ohio (soon to be renamed "Ohiostan") but your impudence in the face of the brilliance of the One makes it difficult.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:49 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?

Let your anger flow.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:51 AM
I note that the banner ads here are now for the University of Phoenix. I guess Google figures they'll get one of the re-education contracts under the new leadership.

Praise the Lord Obama, servant of the almight Allah!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:51 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?

Let your anger flow.

You're still on that?

Sad, that this is pretty much all you've got left. You've spent forever working again him, now all you can do is sit back and watch Obama fix this country.

You can let it out, though. Form your anger into that witty banter you do so well *cough*.

I win again.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:53 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?

Let your anger flow.

You're still on that?

Sad, that this is pretty much all you've got left. You've spent forever working again him, now all you can do is sit back and watch Obama fix this country.

You can let it out, though. Form your anger into that witty banter you do so well *cough*.

I win again.

"Losing hurts, don't it?"

wasnt that you that posted that? did I miss something?
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:53 AM
Wow even though a black man has won the highest office in the land by vote of the people, you're still going to stick to the race card.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:54 AM
Master Perkins, please forgive BSAMS. He is still in shock from losing our country. Please give him another chance. I am sure that he will come to accept the fixes that Lord Obama has in store for us.

I, for one, welcome higher taxes, less jobs and being relieved of hearing viewpoints offensive to the Lord and the Light.

Praise Allah!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:54 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?

Let your anger flow.

You're still on that?

I win again.

Your own post, maybe?
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

Why not. It just elected a President.

Praise Emperor Hussein Obama the First!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:55 AM

Isn't that, within itself, playing the race card?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:57 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?

Let your anger flow.

You're still on that?

I win again.

Your own post, maybe?

You are the one with the anger problems. You are the one that still says the country is full of racists, when a black man is President, your still stuck in a rut. Shouldn't you be out celebrating? I know this has been emotional for you, but for most of us, it's not. Get over it.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:57 AM
Btw, that last post was really a statement. I just put it in the form of a question for effect.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1018300#Post1018300
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:58 AM

You said this country was full of racists I proved otherwise. Unless you are inferring that he locked up the black vote because of his skin color, in which case I am disgusted by you. He got their vote on his merits.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:59 AM

http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1018300#Post1018300

I win again!

Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:00 AM

You said this country was full of racists I proved otherwise. Unless you are inferring that he locked up the black vote because of his skin color, in which case I am disgusted by you. He got their vote on his merits.

What on Captain Planet are you talking about? Seriously.
Posted By: Uschi Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:01 AM

Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:09 AM

What on Captain Planet are you talking about? Seriously.

Wait, are you saying that I'm pulling the race card when I point out that Obama won in a country filled with people who think like balloonknot?

First, let's move past the fact that I'm commemorating him, not defending him. You know that "the race card" is, by definition, something used in a debate, right? You also realize, I hope, that there is no debate here, racial or otherwise. Barack Obama won the debate over an hour ago by almost 200 electoral votes.

You lost. g-man lost. balloonknot lost.

If you'd like, though, you can always post "I WIN!!" again. I'm sure it'll mean something to you. And maybe Pariah.

There is no more debate. And there isn't a race card to play.

The combo's been broken.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:11 AM
you said Obama is going to save the country, how is that a loss for me if you really believe that?
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:13 AM

Apparently not "filled"
Posted By: Franta Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:13 AM
LOL good point
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

Apparently not "filled"

It was a pretty decisive victory.
Posted By: iggy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: Uschi

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:16 AM

Apparently not "filled"

As I told Jason in an earlier thread, he has spent his life being told by these fear mongers that the majority of white people are racist, that's why he sees it everywhere, even this election hasn't opened his eyes.
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:17 AM

No Jason. There is no gray area.

With every new post you make, you're becoming more and more like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Jeremiah Wright, etc..

I'm profoundly disappointed.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:17 AM

Apparently not "filled"

It was a pretty decisive victory.

Give Jason a break. He spent his entire life being told by people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton that all his problems were caused by the white racism that permeates our nation. It's going to take some time for him to let go of that, if ever.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:28 AM
The lady on CBS just said Obama brought back the power of the spoken word.

(much like Hitler, but I digress)

Basically saying "He's so articulate"

What a racist bitch, komrades.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:31 AM
TO THE CAMPS WITH HER!
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:31 AM
Some cunt on cnn said that obama will use the skills he learned as a community manager as president.

I hope she gets raped.
Posted By: sneaky bunny Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:48 AM
She's not made of alpaca so I doubt you'll rape her.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:50 AM
I wouldn't touch the bitch.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:51 AM
You know what I'm thinking.

Obama is Lando Calrissian.

Think about it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:55 AM
Does that make the entire country Han Solo?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 8:57 AM
They told me they fixed it! I *trusted* them to *fix* it! It's not my fault!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 9:03 AM
Well, well.

What have we here?

America?

That's a pretty name.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 9:11 AM
Lord Ayers, we only use this facility for carbon freezing. If you put him in there it might kill him.
Posted By: Franta Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 9:15 AM
REVEREND WRIGHT

BARACK I AM YOUR FATHER NOT
Posted By: Pig Iran Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 6:54 PM
Lando mind controlled the Lobots....
Used Midgets as slave labor...
Sold out the heroes to the Empire....
Then joined up with them cause he needed a ride to get out of the city he just ruined and let go to shit....
Then "The Man" has to save his ass once more when he falls into Uschi's snatch...
Then while borrowing "The Man's Ride" he saves the day-- taking all the credit away from the other "Man"...Not Wedge...

I call bullshit...
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:11 PM
I don't know why our country cares so much about your elections, but Obama's all over the news today. Basically, they're all praising him for changing history and being the first african american president.

Seriously. 4 major news stations. All they got to say about him is he's black.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:11 PM
This is SoM's bro, btw.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I don't know why our country cares so much about your elections, but Obama's all over the news today. Basically, they're all praising him for changing history and being the first african american president.

Seriously. 4 major news stations. All they got to say about him is he's black.

Honestly, pretty much the same story here.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-05 7:31 PM
Is it because black people are substandard, and it's really amazing if one of them rises to the top?
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 7:35 PM
All kidding aside, there is something pretty historic about the fact that, in the course of this guy's lifetime, he went from living in a nation where people of his "race" were segregated and discriminated against to being elected President.

To that end, I congratulate the man and wish him well.

However, I suspect that neither he nor his supporters will truly take away from that victory the lesson of an America that strives for opportunity and betterment and will, instead, continue to find excuses for race baiting, false equality and victimology.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 7:37 PM
I'm half-mexican, half-filipino. Can I play the race card too?
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 7:38 PM
Only if you register with the Democrat Party.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 7:39 PM
Register? I barely knew her!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 8:53 PM
Posted By: Uschi Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-05 11:44 PM
Posted By: sneaky bunny Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 12:22 AM
\:lol\: \:lol\:
Posted By: thedoctor Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 1:51 AM
Seems Obama is already backpedaling on his promise of not hiring lobbyists in his administration. Now, he's just going to make that they can't lobby for two years after they leave his service.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 1:54 AM
somewhere a Promod is crying.....
Posted By: ROY BATTY Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 9:13 AM
The English media spent more time reporting on this, then it does on its own politics.
Posted By: Uschi Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 9:30 AM
AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!
Posted By: Franta Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 9:32 AM
Im afraid of Americans
Posted By: Uschi Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 9:34 AM
but She was a Young American
Posted By: Franta Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 10:04 AM
We can be heroes

if just for one day
Posted By: ROY BATTY Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 10:27 AM
Changes.

For you guys!
Posted By: Uschi Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-06 10:44 AM
YES WE CAN!

Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 11:23 AM

Losing hurts, don't it?
I am in Vegas tyig this from my phone so this will be my only post till Sunday or Monday. I am having agreat time by the way. Yes losing does hurt. But I also love this country and fully support Obama and hope he does agreat job. The dems won't have the GOP to blame anymore so they better not fuck up. I hope that obama governs center left and not left left. If he does that we should be ok. I know that he won't do most of thevthings he promised because he can't. One thing that bothers me really bothers me about him and his supporters even you jay jay is this...... He was saying Tuesday night about hope andunity and healing saying how we should all come together and stop being divided anfld Hollywood and cow oprah were sayng that now we can all come together and heal the country and we should all be united blah blah.
Well my question for all of you is this if McCain won would you all want to be coming aboard our side so we could heal and be united? No probably not
And where was the benefit of the doubt that you will all ask for for obama sometime in the next year for the past 8 years with bush? It was up your asses. That just made laugh out loud. Really you all are for unity and healing as long as you are in control and it is on your terms.

With that said if any of you are single you should come to vegas there is n insane amount if asshere. I am with my wife so I just look.

Also I have to also say and I mean this with all sincerity I am proud a black man has become Presidnt I just wish it was michael Steele. It's good for America I just think the gut is disingenous and his policies suck.

I may post again well see if not see you all in a fe wdays
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 11:29 AM
also I think mac got at least 53 million votes so Obama and the dens need to remember that not everyone is in love with them and drink Koop aid

If he wants a second term he will need to govern from the center otherwise he will lose all the independents that voted against him
Posted By: Rob Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 12:54 PM
pjp, vegas is more important than the rkmbs, politics, obama, and america, as a whole.

please, dear sir, concentrate on the vegas.
Posted By: allan1 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 1:12 PM
And,bring us back some Koop Aid!!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 1:13 PM
Yeah. There were asses mentioned. Asses first before politics.
Posted By: Calybos Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 7:52 PM
I don't care that Obama's black (except that it pisses off the bigots, which is always fun)... I care that he's a SMART LIBERAL.

And the ignorant redneck fools and tools of the right can't STAND that.

What a great change from the Idiot-in-Chief! Yeee-haaaaa!!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 7:59 PM
yep, no stereotyping there.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 8:59 PM
stereotypying? here at the rkmbs?
Posted By: Rob Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 9:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: Calybos
bigots

ignorant redneck fools and tools of the right

touche.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-06 11:55 PM
I care that he's a SMART LIBERAL.

look up oxymoron in the dictionary.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 1:43 AM
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 1:44 AM
they must really believe Obama is a god if they think he can pull that off!
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 1:49 AM
I'm very pleased. Of course there is a race issue in Obama's election. The citizens of the US - black and white - have done the one symbolic thing necessary to demonstrate that a shameful chapter in its history is long past.

Someone told me on the news that a woman standing in a line waiting to vote in Washington was asked how long she had been waiting. She answered, "Two hundred years."

And I thought McCain's concession speech was excellent and recognised the significance of the election to African-Americans.

It was also conciliatory, recognising that the country faces serious problems that will need Americans to work together. And McCain personally pledged to help in that.

I have some deep reservations about some of Obama's policies. I don't like his health reform plans, which I found out abut yesterday. I think engaging North Korea is appeasing a lunatic (I think engaging Iran is a good idea, while simultaenously pumping the strong and well-educated democratic movement in the country with lots of cash). And his attitude on free trade is the worst part of Democratic ideology.

But, the US was lucky in having two very good candidates this time around, who in nominating both candidates. And its a credit to institutions that form the fundamentals of Western democracies like ours that it all went well without tanks in the street.

So, congratulations to you all. \:\) I didn't expect an good grace from zealots on either side of the fence here (and wonder actually why Whomod isn't here gloating his head off), but I mean that to all Americans with genuine sincerity.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 1:51 AM
Whomod don't know how to be happy when he posts here so I don't expect him back anytime soon.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 2:03 AM
Hmm. Its a surprise.
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-07 3:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
I'm very pleased. Of course there is a race issue in Obama's election. The citizens of the US - black and white - have done the one symbolic thing necessary to demonstrate that a shameful chapter in its history is long past.

That was an idiotic thing to say.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 3:46 AM
You're being a little hard on Dave. Obama's election vindicated America’s ideal of equality.

However, at the same time, the question remains whether his policies will promote a paternalism that erodes that ideal.

Either way, glad we could pave the way, Dave. Now your country can elect an Aborigine as Prime Minister and be almost as enlightened of a nation as we are. ;\)
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 3:49 AM
I just can't help but think that if Daniel Steele made it into office that no one would be consistently screaming in my ear that this is a historical election that proves America is "less racist."

I certainly can't imagine that Jesse Jackson would bother crying for him.
You're being a little hard on Dave. Obama's election vindicated America’s ideal of equality.

Precisely. And your criticism, Pariah, is levelled just as much to McCain as it is to me. I'm merely echoing his words.

Quote:

However, at the same time, the question remains whether his policies will promote a paternalism that erodes that ideal.

Undeniably.

Quote:

Either way, glad we could pave the way, Dave. Now your country can elect an Aborigine as Prime Minister and be almost as enlightened of a nation as we are. ;\)

I know you were being churlish, but one of my former colleagues who has gone into politics is, I suspect, trying to achieve just that.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 4:59 AM
Will they take the bones out of their nose and use it as a gavel to call the house to order?
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 5:04 AM
I'm not sure I deserve to be called churlish, since I was neither vulgar nor particularly difficult with that comment. And my comment was actually intended more as a good-natured tweaking of something I think you would agree with me on, vis a vis your own nation.

I do, however, find it bit ironic that nations with their own history of racial or ethnic strife are acting as if the U.S. was somehow uniquely in need of absolution in this area.
Will they take the bones out of their nose and use it as a gavel to call the house to order?

Congratulations especially to you on having a black man lead your country.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 5:14 AM
I've seen Crocodile Dundee, Dave.
I'm not sure I deserve to be called churlish, since I was neither vulgar nor particularly difficult with that comment. And my comment was actually intended more as a good-natured tweaking of something I think you would agree with me on, vis a vis your own nation.

I do, however, find it bit ironic that nations with their own history of racial or ethnic strife are acting as if the U.S. was somehow uniquely in need of absolution in this area.

Hardly. I'm applauding the American democratic process and the will of the American people. I think it sets an excellent example to countries with similar or worse histories (such as Australia) and who have issues with assimilating disenfranchised ethnic minorities (such as France). Its one thing to talk abut these things (the new Australian parliament's first act was to apologise to the "stolen generation" of Australian Aborigines) and another to provide the sort of opportunities the US has done to allow someone like Obama to become the leader of your coountry.

I've said here before that I've always had enormous respect for the United States, although I've often disagreed with many of its government's actions. This election, to me, vindicates America's claim to be a land of opportunity in a way which can't be disputed or matched.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 5:25 AM
I've seen Crocodile Dundee, Dave.
Have you been busted for tax evasion, too?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 5:32 AM
it's a badge of honor!
LOL!
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 6:12 AM
Precisely. And your criticism, Pariah, is levelled just as much to McCain as it is to me.

You're right. It is.

You are to claims of open-mindedness to what he is to covering his own ass.

Like him, you are speaking out of your ass when you emphasize the race of the candidate.
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 6:15 AM
Hardly. I'm applauding the American democratic process and the will of the American people.

Shelby Steele thinks so too.

• Geraldine Ferraro may have had sinister motives when she said that Barack Obama would not be "in his position" as a frontrunner but for his race. Possibly she was acting as Hillary Clinton's surrogate. Or maybe she was simply befuddled by this new reality -- in which blackness could constitute a political advantage.
    [The Obama Bargain] AP

Jesse Jackson and Barack Obama, June 4, 2007.

But whatever her motives, she was right: "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position." Barack Obama is, of course, a very talented politician with a first-rate political organization at his back. But it does not detract from his merit to say that his race is also a large part of his prominence. And it is undeniable that something extremely powerful in the body politic, a force quite apart from the man himself, has pulled Obama forward. This force is about race and nothing else.

The novelty of Barack Obama is more his cross-racial appeal than his talent. Jesse Jackson displayed considerable political talent in his presidential runs back in the 1980s. But there was a distinct limit to his white support. Mr. Obama's broad appeal to whites makes him the first plausible black presidential candidate in American history. And it was Mr. Obama's genius to understand this. Though he likes to claim that his race was a liability to be overcome, he also surely knew that his race could give him just the edge he needed -- an edge that would never be available to a white, not even a white woman.

How to turn one's blackness to advantage?

The answer is that one "bargains." Bargaining is a mask that blacks can wear in the American mainstream, one that enables them to put whites at their ease. This mask diffuses the anxiety that goes along with being white in a multiracial society. Bargainers make the subliminal promise to whites not to shame them with America's history of racism, on the condition that they will not hold the bargainer's race against him. And whites love this bargain -- and feel affection for the bargainer -- because it gives them racial innocence in a society where whites live under constant threat of being stigmatized as racist. So the bargainer presents himself as an opportunity for whites to experience racial innocence.

This is how Mr. Obama has turned his blackness into his great political advantage, and also into a kind of personal charisma. Bargainers are conduits of white innocence, and they are as popular as the need for white innocence is strong. Mr. Obama's extraordinary dash to the forefront of American politics is less a measure of the man than of the hunger in white America for racial innocence.

His actual policy positions are little more than Democratic Party boilerplate and hardly a tick different from Hillary's positions. He espouses no galvanizing political idea. He is unable to say what he means by "change" or "hope" or "the future." And he has failed to say how he would actually be a "unifier." By the evidence of his slight political record (130 "present" votes in the Illinois state legislature, little achievement in the U.S. Senate) Barack Obama stacks up as something of a mediocrity. None of this matters much.

Race helps Mr. Obama in another way -- it lifts his political campaign to the level of allegory, making it the stuff of a far higher drama than budget deficits and education reform. His dark skin, with its powerful evocations of America's tortured racial past, frames the political contest as a morality play. Will his victory mean America's redemption from its racist past? Will his defeat show an America morally unevolved? Is his campaign a story of black overcoming, an echo of the civil rights movement? Or is it a passing-of-the-torch story, of one generation displacing another?

Because he is black, there is a sense that profound questions stand to be resolved in the unfolding of his political destiny. And, as the Clintons have discovered, it is hard in the real world to run against a candidate of destiny. For many Americans -- black and white -- Barack Obama is simply too good (and too rare) an opportunity to pass up. For whites, here is the opportunity to document their deliverance from the shames of their forbearers. And for blacks, here is the chance to document the end of inferiority. So the Clintons have found themselves running more against America's very highest possibilities than against a man. And the press, normally happy to dispel every political pretension, has all but quivered before Mr. Obama. They, too, have feared being on the wrong side of destiny.

And yet, in the end, Barack Obama's candidacy is not qualitatively different from Al Sharpton's or Jesse Jackson's. Like these more irascible of his forbearers, Mr. Obama's run at the presidency is based more on the manipulation of white guilt than on substance. Messrs. Sharpton and Jackson were "challengers," not bargainers. They intimidated whites and demanded, in the name of historical justice, that they be brought forward. Mr. Obama flatters whites, grants them racial innocence, and hopes to ascend on the back of their gratitude. Two sides of the same coin.

But bargainers have an Achilles heel. They succeed as conduits of white innocence only as long as they are largely invisible as complex human beings. They hope to become icons that can be identified with rather than seen, and their individual complexity gets in the way of this. So bargainers are always laboring to stay invisible. (We don't know the real politics or convictions of Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan or Oprah Winfrey, bargainers all.) Mr. Obama has said of himself, "I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views . . ." And so, human visibility is Mr. Obama's Achilles heel. If we see the real man, his contradictions and bents of character, he will be ruined as an icon, as a "blank screen."

Thus, nothing could be more dangerous to Mr. Obama's political aspirations than the revelation that he, the son of a white woman, sat Sunday after Sunday -- for 20 years -- in an Afrocentric, black nationalist church in which his own mother, not to mention other whites, could never feel comfortable. His pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, is a challenger who goes far past Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson in his anti-American outrage ("God damn America").

How does one "transcend" race in this church? The fact is that Barack Obama has fellow-traveled with a hate-filled, anti-American black nationalism all his adult life, failing to stand and challenge an ideology that would have no place for his own mother. And what portent of presidential judgment is it to have exposed his two daughters for their entire lives to what is, at the very least, a subtext of anti-white vitriol?

What could he have been thinking? Of course he wasn't thinking. He was driven by insecurity, by a need to "be black" despite his biracial background. And so fellow-traveling with a little race hatred seemed a small price to pay for a more secure racial identity. And anyway, wasn't this hatred more rhetorical than real?

But now the floodlight of a presidential campaign has trained on this usually hidden corner of contemporary black life: a mindless indulgence in a rhetorical anti-Americanism as a way of bonding and of asserting one's blackness. Yet Jeremiah Wright, splashed across America's television screens, has shown us that there is no real difference between rhetorical hatred and real hatred.

No matter his ultimate political fate, there is already enough pathos in Barack Obama to make him a cautionary tale. His public persona thrives on a manipulation of whites (bargaining), and his private sense of racial identity demands both self-betrayal and duplicity. His is the story of a man who flew so high, yet neglected to become himself.

I think the biggest problem I have when you and your ilk coin the phrase "will of the people" in regards to Obama's elect status is that you're implying that they actually know who they're electing rather than just a charismatic politician who happens to be black.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 8:02 AM
 Quote:
I'm applauding the American democratic process and the will of the American people.

Fair enough. My comment about "other nations" was, in fact, worded to imply that I wasn't speaking about you but about nations and their leaders. I simply used your initial comments as a springboard to segue into an observation about nations.
 Quote:
Like these more irascible of his forbearers, Mr. Obama's run at the presidency is based more on the manipulation of white guilt than on substance. Messrs. Sharpton and Jackson were "challengers," not bargainers. They intimidated whites and demanded, in the name of historical justice, that they be brought forward. Mr. Obama flatters whites, grants them racial innocence, and hopes to ascend on the back of their gratitude.

Probably the most intelligent conservative analysis I've read so far, in the sense that its core offensiveness is shrouded in clever deconstruction. Its a nasty echo of my posts in one of the other pre-election threads where I asked whether people were going to vote for Obama because of the symbology of it, rather than on his merits.

Does Obama grant whites "racial innocence"? I don't think so. His "A more perfect union" speech didn't dodge the bullet at all. Obama painted himself as "post-racial" in that speech, which is an interesting concept of itself, but that doesn't mean he didn't address the issue of race hatred on behalf of both blacks and whites. I didn't see any "manipulation of white guilt" in that speech. I read into it an effort to make amends on both sides, and build bridges to overcome a culture of bias.

This editorial you have posted posits that reconciliation is seductive and false. I agree that its seductive, fundamentally disagree that its false.

I personally was bothered that people were voting for Obama because:

1. "it is time" - a sense of making history (contrasted with "washing away white guilt")

2. he isn't George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and the other members of the Secret Society of Supervillains

rather than voting on his economic policies, some of which I regard as protectionist and too heavy lip-service to special-interest groups (eg teachers) core to the Democratic movement.
Posted By: Rob Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-07 9:57 AM
one of the big jokes about the 2004 election was that kerry already had an automatic 49% of the country, and a $300 million dollar grossing film to start his campaign. but kerry was such a bland, templated political robot, he couldn't garner an additional few percentage points on his own to beat the hyped up visage of dr. evil.

i think "he's not bush/bush jr" was a decent chunk of the vote going for obama. in the structured defense, that is how many votes are cast, all the time, for anyone. but i do think "bush" is probably one of the bigger factors in the election; both for why mccain lost and why obama won.

there are certainly those who voted for obama because he's black. but there's likely just as many (or at least a rivaling faction) of those who voted against because he's not white. perspective tells the story of one as racist and the other as noble, but there's certainly a level of ignorance to them both. it just isn't cool to say so. except to balloon knot, you can tell him.

i am hopeful to believe those types of votes are the minority, for either side, but i'm not naive enough to stand by that.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-12 3:50 AM
This thread should be stickied.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-12 3:52 AM
I'm sure you've stickied it plenty of times.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-12 3:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
I'm sure you've stickied it plenty of times.

Been thinking of me? ;\)
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:32 AM
I love this country and fully support Obama and hope he does a great job. The dems won't have the GOP to blame anymore so they better not fuck up. I hope that Obama governs center left and not left left. If he does that we should be ok. I know that he won't do most of the things he promised because he can't. One thing that bothers me..... really bothers me about him and his supporters is this...... He was saying Tuesday night about hope and unity and healing saying how we should all come together and stop being divided and Hollywood and Cow Oprah were all saying that now we can all come together and heal the country and we should all be united blah blah.

Well my question for all of Obamanauts is this if McCain won would you all want to be coming aboard our side so we could heal and be united? No probably not
And where was the benefit of the doubt that you will all ask for for Obama sometime in the next year for the past 8 years with Bush? It was up your asses. That just made me laugh out loud. Really you all are for unity and healing as long as you are in control and it is on your terms.

I hope MEM and Jason have some dialogue with me about this.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:40 AM
It's always easier to be on the winning side & talk about healing & unity. While I wouldn't have become a republican if McCain had won I would have given him a chance. Then again I didn't see him as the devil even when he was running ahead in the polls after his convention.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:44 AM
I won't lie -- I think a LOT of people are overreacting to this election, and speculating entirely too much. As it stands, at work, we've been sold out of every single .223 caliber (or 5.56x45mm) rifle, all 9x19mm parabellum, .45ACP and .357mag ammo since the day after the election. Everyone's convinced Obama's gonna take away their gun rights.

Maybe he will. But I doubt it.
And even if he does, how's about we wait until he's actually in office before freakin' out?
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:45 AM
For the record I am very proud that a black man is President of the USA. I think it's great that as a country we were able to do that. I also am sick of fighting so I am willing to give him a shot. He has already backed away from much of his socialistic ideas. He knows that if he taxed businesses the way he said he was going to do it would send us into a depression. He also won't do much with health care or any other program for at least 2 years. I could see Reid and Pelosi not getting along with him. I pray for him and our country and hope he does a good job. That is more than most dems could ever say in 2000 or 2004. Even now in victory most dems are too assholic to say one nice thing about Bush even though he is being super gracious to Obama and doesn't want him to go through what he did from the Clinton White House.
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
I won't lie -- I think a LOT of people are overreacting to this election, and speculating entirely too much. As it stands, at work, we've been sold out of every single .223 caliber (or 5.56x45mm) rifle, all 9x19mm parabellum, .45ACP and .357mag ammo since the day after the election. Everyone's convinced Obama's gonna take away their gun rights.

And even if he does, how's about we wait until he's actually in office before freakin' out?
Sometimes guns are used in suicides.

This is actually PJP's bro.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:47 AM
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: PJP
...Even now in victory most dems are too assholic to say one nice thing about Bush even though he is being super gracious to Obama and doesn't want him to go through what he did from the Clinton White House.

OK I know we're not going to agree on this but Bush was not super gracious moving in. There were a ton of anymous sourced stories about the Clinton people trashing the White House when they left. It reminds me alot of the anymous sources trashing Palin right now.
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:05 AM
They removed all the Ws off the White House keyboards! The media reported that not Bush's staff.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:05 AM
Oh, well, there you go. A couple of anonymous stories about Clinton aides. THAT justified eight years of partisan bickering and obstructionism.
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-12 5:28 AM
Does Obama grant whites "racial innocence"? I don't think so. His "A more perfect union" speech didn't dodge the bullet at all.

And yet he never spoke out against the politician calling McCain a supporter of segregation. In fact, he supported him during the third debate. He made great strides to not voice any of the victimology that his primary supporters regurgitate everyday, yet he makes no efforts to preach accountability in the spirit of Malcolm X to those very masses he relies on.

Quote:
I didn't see any "manipulation of white guilt" in that speech. I read into it an effort to make amends on both sides, and build bridges to overcome a culture of bias.

I think that's your biggest downfall: You don't read into the comments of anyone you approve of. You may or may not have missed it being in a foreign country, but there are other elements to Obama that aren't visually apparent. Overseas reporters tend to ignore even more than MSNBC since people around the world have very little frame of reference for American-Politico. As crazy as it sounds, while other countries tend to report more about American politics than their own, journalists have a greater advantage for selectivity. Two of the greatest controversial mentions surrounding Obama, Bill Ayers and ACORN, held no meaning to acquaintances in Britain and France.

Quote:
fundamentally disagree that its false.

I personally was bothered that people were voting for Obama because:

1. "it is time" - a sense of making history (contrasted with "washing away white guilt")

2. he isn't George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and the other members of the Secret Society of Supervillains

Seems to me like you just contradicted yourself. You first say that voting for the sake of reconciliation is alright but then go on to say that voting to "make history" is wrong. I realize you're trying to distinguish the two, but they're not mutually exclusive. Especially not in this sociological climate.

Any American you ask who calls this election "historical" will say so because they feel this to be a form of progress, which basically means--Whether directly or indirectly--That it's an act of reconciliation.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:31 AM
Oh, well, there you go. A couple of anonymous stories about Clinton aides. THAT justified eight years of partisan bickering and obstructionism.

I was just saying Bush wasn't super gracious moving in, that's all. No matter what there'll be hyper-partisans like yourself who are going to be unfairly critical of anyone from the other party.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:34 AM

So, y'know. Usually I don't bother actually... sayin' anything to you people. But I have to just point out. Given my family history, do you REALLY think suicide is a topic I'd take lightly? I mean, fine. Don't believe me if you don't want to. But think about it, now.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
No matter what there'll be hyper-partisans ... who are going to be unfairly critical of anyone from the other party.

Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:46 AM

So, y'know. Usually I don't bother actually... sayin' anything to you people. But I have to just point out. Given my family history, do you REALLY think suicide is a topic I'd take lightly? I mean, fine. Don't believe me if you don't want to. But think about it, now.

Didn't you just say something about us not getting to you?
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 5:53 AM
No matter what there'll be hyper-partisans ... who are going to be unfairly critical of anyone from the other party.

What you allege doesn't bother me G-man. One only has to look at your posts before & after Obama winning to see how you work. To be fair I wouldn't expect any McCain supporter to be very fair right now but you'll be like this as long as a democrat is in office.
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 6:14 AM

I was just saying Bush wasn't super gracious moving in, that's all. No matter what there'll be hyper-partisans like yourself who are going to be unfairly critical of anyone from the other party.
How was Bush not super gracious? Also he was too nice considering that they tried to steal the Presidency away from him.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 6:48 AM
Arf! Arf!
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 6:52 AM
I win again!
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 7:06 AM
[quote=Matter-eater Man]...How was Bush not super gracious? Also he was too nice considering that they tried to steal the Presidency away from him.

Yeah if they only could have gotten Bush's brother to come into the conspiracy we could have cheated you out of all the wonderful things Bush has achieved.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 7:15 AM
Get over it. It was eight years ago. Its been proven repeatedly that bush won fair and square. Let go of the anger.
Posted By: Steve T Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 2:03 PM
Geez, Mem is trying to be open and say "yes it's easier for the side that won to talk about reconciliation" and all the guy gets is shit!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 3:32 PM
First Amongst Daves would like that
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:07 PM
cuz of the poo
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:08 PM
that he eats
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 4:08 PM
dave eats poo.
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-12 10:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Steve T
Geez, Mem is trying to be open and say "yes it's easier for the side that won to talk about reconciliation" and all the guy gets is shit!
That is not true. He still can't say one nice thing about Bush.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 3:17 AM
I don't think anyone could blame him for that.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 3:18 AM
I like bush.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 4:37 AM
President Bush put the terrorist on their heels by taking the war to their part of the world, that should never be forgotten.
Posted By: The Time Trust Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 4:46 AM
Yeah, and not to mention that a little bush is sexy on a woman.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 5:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Time Trust

Seriously while PJP is probably the better man & could find something diplomatic to say about somebody that wouldn't be insincere or patronizing, there's really little good I can say about Bush. In the past I have said that I didn't think W was an idiot. There are plenty of people who have the right last name that couldn't accomplish getting to the White House. That's really about it though other than I think he meant well & wasn't the devil.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-13 5:13 AM
There are plenty of people who have the right last name that couldn't accomplish getting to the White House.

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-13 5:19 AM
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-13 5:34 AM
Now I guess Hillary can only go back to New York & work her little heart for you G-man.

Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-13 5:35 AM
I appreciate you saying he at least meant well.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2008-11-13 8:56 AM
There are plenty of people who have the right last name that couldn't accomplish getting to the White House.

\:damn\:
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-13 8:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Time Trust

Reasonable people could.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-14 9:12 PM
It sounds like Hillary Clinton is being considered for secratary of state. If true I could totally see her take it. I like it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-14 9:19 PM
It sounds like Hillary Clinton is being considered for secratary of state...I like it.

And, in other breaking news, PJP is Greek, Pariah hated the script, rex fucks socks and Rob is gay.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-14 9:21 PM
SPOILERS!
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-14 9:28 PM
It sounds like Hillary Clinton is being considered for secratary of state...I like it.

And, in other breaking news, PJP is Greek, Pariah hated the script, rex fucks socks and Rob is gay.

Don't forget, I still like McCain!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-14 10:45 PM
If true I could totally see her take it. I like it.

Out of context this almost makes you sound straight.
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-15 5:48 AM
Don't forget! He still likes McCain('s ass)!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-15 4:11 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110602570.html

Quote:
In the excitement and decisiveness of Barack Obama's victory, we forget that in the first weeks of September, John McCain was actually ahead. Then Lehman collapsed, and the financial system went off a cliff.

This was not just a meltdown but a panic. For an agonizing few days, there was a collapse of faith in the entire financial system -- a run on banks, panicky money-market withdrawals, flights to safety, the impulse to hide one's savings under a mattress.

This did not just have the obvious effect of turning people against the incumbent party, however great or tenuous its responsibility for the crisis. It had the more profound effect of making people seek shelter in government.

After all, if even Goldman Sachs was getting government protection, why not you? And offering the comfort and safety of government is the Democratic Party's vocation. With a Republican White House having partially nationalized the banks and just about everything else, McCain's final anti-Obama maneuver -- Joe the Plumber spread-the-wealth charges of socialism -- became almost comical.

We don't yet appreciate how unprecedented were the events of September and October. We have never had a full-fledged financial panic in the middle of a presidential campaign. Consider. If the S&P 500 were to close at the end of the year where it did on Election Day, it will have suffered this year its steepest drop since 1937. That is 71 years.

At the same time, the economy had suffered nine consecutive months of job losses. Considering the carnage to both capital and labor (which covers just about everybody), even a Ronald Reagan could not have survived. The fact that John McCain got 46 percent of the electorate when 75 percent said the country was going in the wrong direction is quite remarkable.

However crushing the external events, McCain did make two significant unforced errors. His suspension of the campaign during the economic meltdown was a long shot that not only failed, it created the McCain-the-erratic meme that deeply undermined his huge advantage over Obama in perception of leadership.

The choice of Sarah Palin was also a mistake. I'm talking here about its political effects, not the sideshow psychodrama of feminist rage and elite loathing that had little to do with politics and everything to do with cultural prejudices, resentments and affectations.

Palin was a mistake (" near suicidal," I wrote on the day of her selection) because she completely undercut McCain's principal case against Obama: his inexperience and unreadiness to lead. And her nomination not only intellectually undermined the readiness argument. It also changed the election dynamic by shifting attention, for days on end, to Palin's preparedness, fitness and experience -- and away from Obama's.

McCain thought he could steal from Obama the "change" issue by running a Two Mavericks campaign. A fool's errand from the very beginning. It defied logic for the incumbent-party candidate to try to take "change" away from the opposition. Election Day exit polls bore that out with a vengeance. Voters seeking the "change candidate" went 89 to 9 for Obama.

Which is not to say that Obama did not run a brilliant general election campaign. He did. In its tactically perfect minimalism, it was as well conceived and well executed as the electrifying, highflying, magic carpet ride of his primary victory. By the time of his Denver convention, Obama understood that he had to dispense with the magic and make himself kitchen-table real, accessible and, above all, reassuring. He did that. And when the economic tsunami hit, he understood that all he had to do was get out of the way. He did that too.

With him we get a president with the political intelligence of a Bill Clinton harnessed to the steely self-discipline of a Vladimir Putin. (I say this admiringly.) With these qualities, Obama will now bestride the political stage as largely as did Reagan.

But before our old soldier fades away, it is worth acknowledging that McCain ran a valiant race against impossible odds. He will be -- he should be -- remembered as the most worthy presidential nominee ever to be denied the prize.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-15 5:55 PM
What do you think of what you posted BSAMS?

I didn't think the Palin choice was a mistake. If the economy hadn't tanked it would have probably helped win. McCain recieved quite a hefty bounce after the convention & had succesfully taken the "change" mantra from Obama IMHO. That wouldn't have happened with a usual pick for VP. It was the week where stocks crashed that doomed McCain. He really did look eratic & the suspending the campaign honestly struck me as being a stunt.

While I voted for Obama, there is no joy in McCain's defeat for me.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-15 6:12 PM
The only mistake with choosing Palin was changing horses in mod race. McCain was running as the experience candidate and then tired to be the change candidate. He should have ran as an alternative to Bush and Obama instead of just the Change guy, because Obama had been selling that for awhile(which he now has said will take 8 years).

Palin surely energized the base so he may have very well lost by a wider margin without her. The questions of what kind of change Obama was going to bring should have been played by McCains campaign from the beginning.

Palin's Achilles as well as McCain's I believe is trying to go by a campaign strategy, they both do exceedingly well shooting from the hip. As seen in Palin;s post election interviews she comes off as smart and confident when she is speaking directly from her beliefs rather than the campaign/party line.

If they would have just been themselves they may have closed the deal. But in the end the economy and Bush's popularity beat them, not Obama.

I like Sarah Palin a lot, and hope she continues to rise. Uschi stated her butchering of the language as a reason she dislikes her, to me it's the opposite. I live in the Appalachian foothills, I know many wise people who don't speak "proper" English. Somehow around here we get past how many "rules" are broken when you speak and just care about the substance of your words. I could give a crap if someone split an infinitive or not. Palin is not only a strong woman, but from her not so articulate words a great American.

I think like Obama's color did scare some people, the fact that there was a strong woman who succeeded not by playing the victim in social issues but by standing by her guns(literally and figuratively), scared the hell out of a lot of liberals who worried that they didn't have the market cornered on what women considered rights.

I totally agree with the conclusion, McCain is likely the greatest American candidate ever denied the Presidency.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-15 7:07 PM
I may have mentioned this before, but a Democrat I know who hates Palin was going on about how much she loves the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and wishes we had more politicians like Jimmy Stewart's character.

I pointed out that was completely untrue. That if "Mr. Smith" were a real person in today's Washington (and especially if he were a Republican) liberals and the center-left press would savage him for the way he spoke, which had a lot more in common with Sarah Palin that Barack Obama. They'd call him 'stupid' and play little games to try and trip him up because he didn't graduate from Harvard or Yale.
Posted By: rex Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-16 5:10 AM
THE Bastard content User Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts 18 minutes 43 seconds ago Making a new reply
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Re: President Barack Obama

"You're all a bunch of racist crackers for not supporting the messiah."

You don't need to post now. I just did it for you.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-16 5:15 AM
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-16 5:41 AM

Apparently not "filled"

Maybe not filled but probably more than you would thnk...or admit.

Quote:
Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

By JESSE WASHINGTON, AP National Writer Jesse Washington, Ap National Writer Sat Nov 15, 5:18 pm ET
Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include:

_Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression, including one that said: "Let's shoot that (N-word) in the head." Obama has received more threats than any other president-elect, authorities say.

_At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was written "Let's hope someone wins."

_Racist graffiti was found in places including New York's Long Island, where two dozen cars were spray-painted; Kilgore, Texas, where the local high school and skate park were defaced; and the Los Angeles area, where swastikas, racial slurs and "Go Back To Africa" were spray painted on sidewalks, houses and cars.

_Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.

_University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. "It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork," Houston said.

_Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.

_Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J., and Apolacan Township, Pa.

_A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on election night by four white men who shouted 'Obama.'

_In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."

Emotions are often raw after a hard-fought political campaign, but now those on the losing side have an easy target for their anger.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and co-author of the diversity book "A Peacock in the Land of Penguins." "If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a substitute, i.e., someone of the same race."

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9-11 attacks, as a wave of anti-Muslim violence swept the country. We saw it happen after the Rodney King verdict, when Los Angeles blacks erupted in rage at the injustice perpetrated by 'the white man.'"

"It's as stupid and ineffectual as kicking your dog when you've had a bad day at the office," Gallagher said. "But it happens a lot."

___

Associated Press writers Errin Haines, Jerry Harkavy, Jay Reeves, Johnny Taylor and researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report.

Hmmmm....seems as if there may still be a few white folks that have a problem with the idea of a black president...or maybe just the existence of black people period.

I know that many of you think that all black people exaggerate racism in this country and now that Obama has been elected we should all just shut up because there's obviously no division between the races at all.

I truly believe that there's at least one of you that posts here regulary that would openly and loudly celebrate Obama's assasination. In fact, I think that person would happily and quickly volunteer to pull the trigger himself and be celebrated a hero by his so-called moderate peers.

If anyone here can read the above article and deny or rationalize away the existence of a pathological and irrational hatred among some whites against ALL blacks, then the person that I am talking about is you.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-16 5:43 AM
I was right!
Posted By: THE Bastard Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-16 5:43 AM

Actually, rex, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You're not racist. You're just stupid.
Posted By: rex Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-16 5:43 AM
God damn I'm good.
Posted By: PJP Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-16 6:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: THE Bastard

Actually, rex, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You're not racist. You're just stupid.
You think someone here would actually wish for someone's death? That is pretty sad. Besides Baloonknot nobody had a problem with the color of Obama's skin. It was his inexperience, and horrible ideas.......and most of all his empty rhetoric. But he won and that is all that matters. I can assure you everyone here wishes the best for this country.
Posted By: rex Re: The Campaign Autopsy - 2008-11-16 6:31 AM

You're racist and stupid.
Posted By: Pariah Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-16 7:24 AM
Hmmmm....seems as if there may still be a few white folks that have a problem with the idea of a black president...or maybe just the existence of black people period.

There's a lot of people in the world who think a lot of things.

Quote:
I know that many of you think that all black people exaggerate racism in this country

Yep.

Quote:
and now that Obama has been elected we should all just shut up

Yep

Quote:
because there's obviously no division between the races at all.

Obviously not since Obama seeks to increase that division.

Quote:
I truly believe that there's at least one of you that posts here regulary that would openly and loudly celebrate Obama's assasination.

Is that supposed to make us gasp in outrage?

Quote:
In fact, I think that person would happily and quickly volunteer to pull the trigger himself and be celebrated a hero by his so-called moderate peers.

I should really rush to the defense of the several people in particular you're referring to in this forum, but really the only person who'd give a damn is the angry irrational black guy and his protege (Jason).

Quote:
If anyone here can read the above article and deny or rationalize away the existence of a pathological and irrational hatred among some whites against ALL blacks, then the person that I am talking about is you.

A racist black person (no, not you) was just elected president. Get over yourself.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-16 5:44 PM
I like the Bastard's technique. It's a lot like Obama's, if you disagree with his article, your the racist! It's sad a once great debater reduced to slinging the race card to avoid being debunked.

Of course there are racists, no one as far as I can tell has said their aren't. But the fallacy that an idiot that has a problem with someone's skin can stop them from achieving is blown out of the water.

Race plays a part in some people's thoughts both black and white. But to keep pretending it is a detriment to a black man now is silly. I know, you'll keep hammering away, because you've grown up thinking that crying racism is the only way to the top, but you should give yourself more credit. But hopefully you'll step back and see that a black man was just elected President of the US, by similar political margins of Dem and Rep, with an actual gain in independents. This shows people generally voted along their political philosophy not on race.
I'm sure Obama got a few black votes he wouldn't have(Colin Powell comes to mind) and McCain got some white votes he normally wouldn't have(David Duke maybe).

But your article above lists a dozen or so acts, and though I'm certain there have been more you need to use context. With millions and millions of white people, the sample size of idiots that do these things is very low. While the fact stares you in the face, I expect you to ignore it, and continue your cry.

A black man is president, in a great part due to the vote of white people who obviously don;t care about race. You should be enjoying the fact that a myth has been crushed, instead of wallowing in division.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Getting Beyond Race - 2008-11-17 1:57 AM
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/08/GettingBeyondRace.htm

Quote:
Despite the fact that President-elect Barack Obama's vision for our nation leaves a lot to be desired, the fact that he was elected represents a remarkable national achievement. When the War of 1861 ended, neither a former slave nor slave owner would have believed it possible for a black to be elected president in a mere century and a half, if ever. I'm sure that my grandparents, born in the 1880s, or my parents, born in the 1910s, would not have believed it possible for a black to be president and neither did I for most of my 72 years.

That's not the only progress. If one totaled black earnings, and consider blacks a separate nation, he would have found that in 2005 black Americans earned $644 billion, making them the world's 16th richest nation. That's just behind Australia but ahead of Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland. Black Americans have been chief executives of some of the world's largest and richest cities such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. Gen. Colin Powell, appointed Joint Chief of Staff in October 1989, headed the world's mightiest military and later became U.S. Secretary of State, and was succeeded by Condoleezza Rice, another black. A few black Americans are among the world's richest people and many are some of the world's most famous personalities. These gains, over many difficult hurdles, speak well not only of the intestinal fortitude of a people but of a nation in which these gains were possible. They could not have been achieved anywhere else.

Acknowledgement of these achievements is not to deny that a large segment of the black community faces enormous problems. But as I have argued, most of today's problems have little or nothing to do with racial discrimination. That's not to say that every vestige of racial discrimination has been eliminated but as my colleague Dr. John McWhorter said in "End of Racism?" Forbes (11/5/08), "There are also rust and mosquitoes, and there always will be. Life goes on." The fact that the nation elected a black president hopefully might turn our attention away from the false notion that discrimination explains the problems of a large segment of the black community to the real problems that have absolutely nothing to do with discrimination.

The illegitimacy rate among blacks stands at about 70 percent. Less than 40 percent of black children are raised in two-parent households. Those are major problems but they have nothing to do with racial discrimination. During the early 1900s, illegitimacy was a tiny fraction of today's rate and black families were just as stable as white families. Fraudulent education is another problem, where the average black high school senior can read, write and compute no better than a white seventh-grader. It can hardly be blamed on discrimination. Black schools receive the same funding as white schools and most of the teachers and staffs are black and the schools are often in cities where the mayor and the city council are mostly black. Crime is a major problem. Blacks commit about 50 percent of all homicides and 95 percent of their victims are blacks.

Tragically, many black politicians and a civil rights industry have a vested interest in portraying the poor socioeconomic outcomes for many blacks as problems rooted in racial discrimination. One of the reasons they are able to get away with such deception is because there are so many guilt-ridden white people. Led by guilt, college administrators, employers and others in leadership positions, in the name of diversity, buy into nonsense such as lowering standards, racial preferences and acceptance of behavior standards they wouldn't accept from whites. Maybe the election of a black president will help white people over their guilt feelings so they can stop acting like fools in their relationships with black people.
Posted By: Rob Re: Getting Beyond Race - 2008-11-20 10:50 PM
political affiliations aside...

here's a cool display of american newspaper headlines after the election:

http://obama2008.s3.amazonaws.com/headlines.html
Posted By: rex Re: Getting Beyond Race - 2008-11-20 10:53 PM
Soon to be known as the worst day in American history.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man President Barack Obama - 2008-11-24 2:25 AM
 Quote:
Obama Will Get Stimulus Bill First Day, Democrats Say (Update1)

By Daniel Whitten

Nov. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Congress will send President-elect Barack Obama an economic stimulus package the day he takes office Jan. 20, two Democratic lawmakers said today.

Senator Charles Schumer of New York said on ABC’s “This Week” program that the package will be between $500 billion and $700 billion. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, of Maryland, said on “Fox News Sunday” that he believed the Inauguration Day goal would be met, but he declined to put a price tag on the bill.

“I think Congress will work with the president elect starting now and will have a major stimulus package on his desk by Inauguration Day,” Schumer said. “I think it has to be deep. My view it has to be between five and $700 billion.”

Bloomberg
Posted By: PJP Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-24 2:32 AM
what about the 350 billion that will be untouched from the original bailout?

I have a feeling Obama is not going to jump every time the dem congress asks him too. In fact I predict they will not like him very much which will actually make me like Obama more.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: President Barack Obama - 2008-11-24 2:48 AM
what about the 350 billion that will be untouched from the original bailout?

I have a feeling Obama is not going to jump every time the dem congress asks him too. In fact I predict they will not like him very much which will actually make me like Obama more.

This wouldn't be for a specific bailout but something more in line of a stimulas package that Bush has done a couple of times.

I think your correct about Obama btw. He's going to need some republicans to get some stuff passed & that's probably going to require some middle of the road type decisions that are not going to please some in congress.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081120/COL05/811200314/1004/COL

Quote:
Good news for Democrats: I will not be joining the Obama administration, because I can't pass the seven-page job application. There are 63 questions, and I couldn't get past No. 8:

"Briefly describe the most controversial matters you have been involved with during the course of your career."

Briefly? They must be kidding.

And if that one didn't tie my shoelaces together, No. 10 would trip me up like a banana peel on a roller skate: "Please list ... each column ... you have authored." I thought there was a statute of limitations for things like that.

But here's good news for Republicans: The Clintons can't pass it, either. They would need a boxcar of butter to grease their way past No. 6 (payments from any foreign government), No. 31 (personal records that you or your spouse will not release publicly) and the deal-buster for Bill, No. 50: "Please list any workplace claims for sexual harassment or other workplace misconduct made against you."

Even a former president can't pass the job application to work for the next one.

And I'm not sure Barack Obama and Joe Biden could pass their own scandal-screening dirt detector.

How does plagiarist Biden answer the one about "all speeches you have given"? Does he include the one he shoplifted from a British politician? Should he include a separate sheet to list all his campaign brain-sneezes, such as telling a guy in a wheelchair to stand up?

And how does Obama answer No. 61: "Have you had any association with any person ... that could be used - even unfairly - to impugn or attack your character and qualifications for government service?"

Lucky for Obama, the New York Times and NBC didn't think it was important to ask any inconvenient questions like that about "family friend" Bill Ayers.

Then again, Obama's test is a lot more thorough than his background check by the media.

Private diaries, embarrassing e-mails (really?), pictures on Facebook or MySpace (OMG), even a physical exam are among Obama's snoopy questions.

It makes you wonder if someone who can pass the test is probably too dull for the Federal Department of Elevator Music and Test Patterns.

So put away that rubber glove, I won't apply. But I can offer a little unsolicited advice to our new president, because I want him to succeed:

Stay away from the Clintons. They are the flesh-eating bacteria of politics. If you hire one, you will get a chronic rash of incurable Bill-Hillaryitis. If Hillary has to be secretary of state, make sure she spends lots of time visiting Tierra del Fuego or Kazakhstan.

Ditto for all those Clinton retreads you're recruiting. Even Janet Reno is a better hire than Rev. Jeremiah Wright. But "Hope and Change" shouldn't look like a closet full of hand-me-downs from the Clinton Thrift Store.

Tell your gushing admirers in the Obama-Girl media to cool it or we will get tired of your presidency before it starts. (See "Jump the Shark.") Please, no more comparisons to Lincoln, FDR, JFK, Gandhi and the Messiah. I haven't seen such gooey puppy love since the Bobby Sherman Fan Club was banned from my junior high for causing mental tooth decay.

Surprise everyone with some real hope and change by telling Generous Motors they won't get a bailout until the bosses cut their salaries to $1 a year and the UAW retools its tailfin contracts for the 21st century.

Surprise us again. Send Mitt Romney or Rudy Giuliani to clean up the Wall Street mess. If it fails, you can blame a Republican - which got you elected. And if it works, you get the credit.

Tell brokers and bankers that anyone who takes jackpot bonuses after panhandling for a federal bailout belongs in stocks. But not the Dow Jones kind - they belong in the ones with holes for both arms and their head, and a big padlock to keep them there when it rains ripe tomatoes.

Don't believe the press clippings about your "flawless campaign." It was only flawless like some of those drug-enhanced home run records - with a big asterisk for media-bias steroids.

Stop answering every question with, "As I've said before..." If we knew you said it before, we wouldn't ask. It's pompous and annoying. Besides, it reminds us that you haven't said anything new since August.

Finally, don't take any advice from know-it-all columnists like me. If we knew anything worthwhile, we'd be able to fill out your job application and get a real job.
http://www.grassfire.org/111/petition.asp?PID=19036070&NID=1

Quote:
Welcome to Obama’s nation...
The “transformational” figure who will “change the world” is now in charge, and he’s on a mission. Emboldened by an overwhelming electoral victory and a near-supermajority in Congress, President-elect

Obama and his allies are preparing to implement his liberal, “post-American” agenda. Simply put, what President-elect Obama and the Pelosi-Reid Congress have in store has the potential to rapidly move America to the socialist Left.

1 million citizens resisting...
Who can stop the Obama agenda? Only an unprecedented idea-based Resistance from freedom-loving citizens can prevent the full implementation of Obama’s march to the Left. That’s why Grassfire.org is seeking to identify and mobilize grassroots citizens who will Join The Resistance— an alliance of patriotic, resilient and determined conservatives who will not forsake their principles. Our goal? One million citizens joining together by Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009.

The Resistance States:
As an American citizen, while I will show respect to President-elect Obama, I oppose the far-Left and socialistic elements that comprise the centerpiece of his agenda. I recognize that it will take a patriotic and resilient Citizen Resistance to block implementation of this agenda and I join with others who oppose these threats to our liberties.

Specifically, I Resist:

Socialistic wealth redistribution including any and all tax increases and big-government welfare programs.

Silencing conservatives through the Fairness Doctrine and other efforts that restrict free speech.

Open border anarchy including amnesty for illegal aliens and promotion of multi-nation “unions”.

Government-run health care that weakens our system and imposes more tax burdens on citizens.

Weakening of our military through rapid pullback from Iraq, defunding our troops and overall disarmament.

Social liberalism including radical pro-abortion agenda, the end of marriage and the homosexual agenda.

Liberal court activism that undermines faith, family and liberties while expanding government control.

Post-American globalismthat diminishes our global role and threatens our national sovereignty.

Environmental extremism, the CO2 tax,
undermining coal and nuclear, and bans on
exploration.

Weakening the 2nd Amendment through unconstitutional gun laws that take away or penalize us for owning firearms and our right to defend our family, our property, and ourselves.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/29/liberals-furious-obama-keeping-gates/

Quote:
More than a month before he takes the oath of office, President-elect Barack Obama already is testing the loyalty of his liberal base.

On Monday, he is expected to announce his national security team, which will include Robert Gates as his defense secretary, a carry-over from the Bush administration, and retired Gen. Jim Jones, who supported John McCain for president, as his national security adviser.

Liberal blogger Chris Bowers of The Open Left says the message sent by the selection of Gates undermines Democrats.

"The message would be clear," he writes in his blog. "Even Democrats agree that Democrats can't run the military."

Obama's outspoken opposition to the Iraq war before he became a U.S. senator was one of the reasons he was embraced early in the presidential race by the anti-war faction of the Democratic Party's base, so his apparent decision to keep a Bush adviser as defense secretary for at least a year has raised some eyebrows within that faction.

Bowers, a member of the Pennsylvania state Democratic committee, argues that Gates provided support and cover for practices from waterboarding to the use of psychotropic drugs on terror detainees. The blogger isn't as negative toward Jones but still called it "very disappointing."

"It is just so very frustrating," Bowers writes. "It seems like the only place progressives are making any gains is in the House. We are being entirely left out of Obama's major appointments so far. I guess everyone gets to play in Obama's administration, except progressives."

Democratic blogger Brent Budowsky, who served as a congressional assistant in the 1970s and 1980s, said he would have preferred to see Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska or former Democratic Sen. Sam Nunn of Georgia get the nod for defense secretary.

Budowsky said he fears that Obama's national security team will steer him toward a longer military commitment than the one he made on the campaign trail.

"It is unfortunate that on an issue so momentous as who runs the Pentagon at time of war, the views that were stated in the campaign, and supported so deeply by the base of the Democratic Party and the new voters and small donors who were the heart of the Obama campaign, are sacrificed so quickly, for Bob Gates," he writes in his blog.

GOP strategist Dave Winston told FOX News that some pushback was to be expected.

"The base is clearly going to say, where are you headed in terms of this policy?" Winston said. "And I think it will cause him some headaches with the base, although for the overall country, I think they will see it quite favorably."

Democratic consultant Bob Beckel told FOX News that objections from liberals over Obama's Cabinet selections isn't all bad.

"Not so sure, from Obama's standpoint, it's bad politically," he said. "It helps him in his negotiation with Congress."

Obama's national security team also will include several former members of Bill Clinton's administration, eliciting some complaints about recycling people from the Clinton White House. And Obama is expected to pick Hillary Clinton to be his pick for secretary of state.

But Beckel says Obama needs experience from the last Democratic White House.

"If he went to a Democratic administration before that, he'd have to go to the nursing home," he said.

Hopefully this means Obama realizes liberals are not suited for National Defense positions. Though he may be just waiting for his base to get angry then throw Gates under the bus with Wright, and Gramma....
I've always said that nothing will change with national security or the wars when the great black guy is elected. He might be completely unfit to run the country but at least he realizes how important our security is.
and not to trust a liberal.

the real danger with Obama is the ACLU judges he will appoint.
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008...curity_kee.html

Quote:
The financial crisis is hardly a cakewalk, but as he assembles his national security team, Barack Obama is getting into the really dangerous end of the job.

Fortunately, he's coming to the fight well-armed.

Reports the President-elect will keep Robert Gates as secretary of defense counts as the best news of the transition. The advice against changing horses in midstream was made for the Pentagon. With the Mumbai terror attack putting Islamic extremism back in the headlines and American troops fighting two wars, an election is not enough reason to change the military's civilian leadership.

Especially when that leadership has been as successful as Gates. The surge in Iraq, part of the change in strategy when President Bush selected Gates nearly two years ago, was the main factor in reversing the war's course. A conflict that sapped this nation's morale by trending toward defeat is now on a path to success.

Iraq is not yet a stable, self-governing democracy, but virtually every measurement, including our reduced casualties, shows those goals finally appear within reach.

Gates didn't lead the change alone, of course, and much of the credit belongs to Gen. David Petraeus, who suffered unforgivable slanders from the anti-war left for his courageous efforts on the nation's behalf. But no one should underestimate the difficult situation Gates inherited, both in Iraq and here at home.

Public unhappiness over Iraq was the single biggest reason why voters handed Democrats Congress in the 2006 midterm elections. Even before the votes had been counted, Bush tapped Gates to replace Donald Rumsfeld, whose planning and management will stand as a lasting example of how not to run a war.

Gates was the best possible choice to direct the surge and take advantage of Sunni tribes who were ready to battle Al Qaeda. A career operative in the Central Intelligence Agency and its director under the first President Bush, Gates was a college president in Texas when he joined the Iraq Study Group.

The bipartisan effort to break the political deadlock only partly succeeded, but it brought Gates back into the Washington orbit and helped him develop his ideas on Iraq. Among them was that a surge could head off a civil war and give Iraq's political leaders space to reconcile and compromise. Gates also came to believe the U.S. should talk to Iran and Syria.

Although Obama, as a candidate and senator, opposed the surge, he had arrived at the same conclusion about negotiations, although in a reckless fashion by promising to meet the leaders of those terror-sponsors without preconditions.

The issue is not whether to talk, but what to say. On that score, I'm still not clear what Obama intends to say to Iran and Syria after "Hello." And I'm not sure if he will press ahead with his plans to pull out of Iraq, even if Gates and others caution him to go slow.

Nonetheless, Obama and Gates have reached a general agreement on some of the next steps in the region, especially about adding troops to Afghanistan. Our commander there is asking for 20,000 more troops to combat a resurgence by Islamic extremists. Bush and Obama both support the idea and Gates said he will try to meet that goal.

Yet just as Iraq proved a moving target, Al Qaeda is, too.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, told Congress America needs to develop a new strategy that focuses on Afghanistan and Pakistan, saying the countries "are inextricably linked in a common insurgency that crosses the border between them."

The head of the Marine Corps went further, telling The Wall Street Journal that Pakistan, not Afghanistan, is now Al Qaeda's strategic goal.

"Pakistan is the closest place where you have the nexus of terrorism and nuclear weapons," said Gen. James Conway.

Especially after the events of recent days, that's the kind of talk that puts the financial crisis in perspective.
Gates is a good choice. He's been in the position & has done a good job. This & Hillary's appointment to secretary of state should put to rest any idea that he's going to be some uber-liberal president. I kind of figured that both him & McCain would lead in similar fashions where neither end of the political spectrum would be happy no matter who won.
As of today it's official, Gates & Clinton have been named. Gates will be keeping his & Clinton will be Sec. of State.
 Quote:
This & Hillary's appointment to secretary of state should put to rest any idea that he's going to be some uber-liberal president.

Gates is a good choice but, really, Hillary is almost as liberal as Obama.

And, just to play devil's advocate, let's assume that there are significant policy differences between Obama and Hillary, with Hillary to the right of the president-elect. By picking her either: (a) Obama expects her to come around to his way of thinking (which was, during the campaign, pretty far left on foreign policy); or (b) Obama expects to move to the right, thereby having broke yet-another campaign promise.
I'm glad he didn't fill the position with a hateful liar who is in a marriage of convenience.
...who hasn't done shit as a Senator for the past eight years except run for higher office.
...who hasn't done shit as a Senator...except run for higher office.

they're made for each other!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Change Takes...the same people - 2008-12-02 12:49 AM
...just to play devil's advocate, let's assume that there are significant policy differences between Obama and Hillary, with Hillary to the right of the president-elect. By picking her either: (a) Obama expects her to come around to his way of thinking (which was, during the campaign, pretty far left on foreign policy); or (b) Obama expects to move to the right, thereby having broke yet-another campaign promise.

Time magazine's Peter Beinart tries to assure fellow left-liberals that this is all just a ploy by Obama:
  • A word of advice: cheer up. It's precisely because Obama intends to pursue a genuinely progressive foreign policy that he's surrounding himself with people who can guard his right flank at home. When George W. Bush wanted to sell the Iraq war, he trotted out Colin Powell--because Powell was nobody's idea of a hawk. Now Obama may be preparing to do the reverse. To give himself cover for a withdrawal from Iraq and a diplomatic push with Iran, he's surrounding himself with people like Gates, Clinton and [National Security Adviser-designate James] Jones, who can't be lampooned as doves
 Quote:
This & Hillary's appointment to secretary of state should put to rest any idea that he's going to be some uber-liberal president.

I think the far left see her as being more conservative.
I find Hugo Chavez more conservative than Obama.
Posted By: rex Re: Barack Obama's right call on security - 2008-12-02 4:16 AM
 Quote:

I think the far left see her as being more conservative.

That's like you calling snarf "kinda" gay.
 Quote:

After naming his economic team and his national security team at record speed, President-elect Barack Obama will now focus on filling the last half of his Cabinet.
Rounding out his Cabinet will be the departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Energy, Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development, Labor, Veterans Affairs, Transportation and Education.
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is expected to be named commerce secretary and Tom Daschle has been widely touted as secretary of health and human services. And speculation is growing that Tammy Duckworth, director of the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs, will get the nod to lead the national department.
What has been most striking about Obama's nominations so far is the speed at which he has named them and the lack of controversy. The president-elect has moved swiftly to try to bring reassurances and continuity in the federal government as the world grapples with war, recession and terrorist threats, which erupted last week in Mumbai, India.
On Monday, Obama introduced his national security team, picking Democratic primary rival Hillary Clinton to be secretary of state and President Bush's defense secretary, Robert Gates, to continue at his post. The announcements marked a shift in emphasis after his of appointments last week of his economic team, led by Timothy Geithner as treasury secretary.
"I think the times demand this," Democratic consultant Martin Frost told FOXNews.com. "I don't think you can go at a leisurely pace."
Frost said the sequence in which Obama has announced his Cabinet members isn't unusual, noting that economic and national security issues are the top priorities for any president.
"I think he's done this in a very careful way," Frost said, adding that Obama's picks have drawn favorable reviews from both sides of the aisle.
GOP consultant Doug Heye praised Obama for how he he has rolled out his Cabinet members so far.
"The Obama transition team has made a strategic decision on how this will be done," Heye said, noting Obama's move to present his economic team last week followed by his national security advisers this week.
"We don't know yet what next week will be," he joked.
But Heye added that Obama, by not naming an energy secretary yet, runs the risk of signaling that energy independence is not as important to his administration.
"Energy policy is something he said would be a top priority," he said. "We haven't even got any real rumors of who's being vetted."
Even so, Obama's picks have allowed Republicans to breathe a sigh of relief.

FOX news
Posted By: rex Re: Obama Dazzles Dems and GOP with Cabinet Picks - 2008-12-02 9:02 PM
Has he named bill ayers as secretary of blowing up america yet?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_cabinet

Quote:
Talking optimistically despite the recession, Obama also said, "We have everything we need to renew our economy, we have the ingenuity and technology, the skill and commitment — we just need to put it to work."

Wow, it seems like only a month ago the press was bashing McCain for being optimistic about the fundamentals of our economy.
Good goddamn! The Obamanauts aren't even waiting for him to do anything before giving him the same treatment as those leaders who've actually accomplished something with their lives' work.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_re_us/obama_holiday
 Quote:
In central Alabama's Perry County, government workers already get a day off for President's Day, Martin Luther King Day, and Veterans Day. In 2009, they'll get one more: "Barack Obama Day."

The rural county, which overwhelmingly supported Obama in last month's presidential election, has approved the second Monday in November as "The Barack Obama Day." Commissioners passed a measure that would close county offices for the new annual holiday and its roughly 40 workers will get a paid day off.

Sponsoring commissioner Albert Turner Jr. said the holiday is meant to highlight the Democratic president-elect's victory as a way to give people faith that difficult goals can be achieved.

Perry County has 12,000 residents, most of them black. Voters there backed Obama by over 70 percent in a state that gave 60 percent of the overall vote to Republican John McCain based largely on strong support from white voters.

At the state level, Alabama observes the standard federal holidays as well as a handful of its own that include Confederate Memorial Day in April and the June birthday of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. It observes Martin Luther King's birthday in January but the holiday is twinned with commemoration of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee on the same day.

The Perry County Commission's three black members and one of its two white members voted for the Obama holiday.

Commissioner Brett Harrison said Wednesday he voted against the resolution because of the costs to the county, which has a $2.2 million annual payroll and is one of the poorest in the state. He said closing the courthouse would also idle some state employees.

"I'm a Democrat, but just in these financial times, it's not using the county's money wisely," Harrison told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday. "The recognition is certainly well-founded."

Turner said copies of the resolution, adopted at a Nov. 25 meeting, have been mailed to Obama and his transition team.

Ass kissers.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Obama Day - 2008-12-04 1:20 AM
Name a single religion that doesn't set aside days of observances for their divinities.
The Christians at least waited until Jesus was dead.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Obama Day - 2008-12-04 1:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
The Christians at least waited until Jesus was dead.

But Christians don't think Jesus actually "died." So, like Obama, he didn't actually do anything.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Obama Day - 2008-12-04 1:31 AM
Actually, they do believe he died. He was just resurrected. Big difference.
Posted By: rex Re: Obama Day - 2008-12-04 1:50 AM
He isn't even president yet.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Obama Day - 2008-12-04 1:52 AM
Jesus was never president. Pay attention reax.
 Quote:

And, just to play devil's advocate, let's assume that there are significant policy differences between Obama and Hillary, with Hillary to the right of the president-elect. By picking her either: (a) Obama expects her to come around to his way of thinking (which was, during the campaign, pretty far left on foreign policy); or (b) Obama expects to move to the right, thereby having broke yet-another campaign promise.

8 months ago: Obama says Hillary is "too tainted" to have a place in his White House.
Now: Obama, with the power to choose anyone as Secretary of State, picks Hillary.

Hypocrisy, anyone?

Apparently the campaign slogan "Change" means a Bill Clinton third term, with a cabinet full of former Clintonistas.
why the hell are you still here? seriously...
He's here for us to kick around.
no. thats what youre here for...
Then what am I here for?
To replace whomod.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081207/pl_nm/us_usa_obama_smoking_3
 Quote:
– U.S. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.

Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

Obama was often observed on the presidential campaign trail chewing Nicorette gum, which helps ease the craving for nicotine. He has tried several times to quit.

The 47-year-old president-elect, who takes office on January 20, works out daily at the gym and sometimes plays basketball. His doctor said in May he was in excellent health, often jogged 3 miles a day and was fit to serve as U.S. president.

Website http://www.cigaraficionado.com says Gerald Ford, who served from 1974-77, was the last U.S. president to use tobacco on a regular basis. The White House no-smoking rule was imposed by former First Lady Hillary Clinton, now Obama's nominee for secretary of state.

Seriously, that thread title is what is on Yahoo!'s front page. Sad thing is, Obama's smoking habit is about the most that the media has pressed (no pun intended) him on any issue.
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
Then what am I here for?

Cock.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Sad thing is, Obama's smoking habit is about the most that the media has pressed (no pun intended) him on any issue.

And, even then, Michelle probably gave them permission to bring it up in the hopes he would quit.
His lungs are only half black.

well played...
i dont know how i do it!
I don't know who's next in charge in Illinois, but the guy responsible for making the pick might not get to do so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081209/us_nm/us_blagojevich_investigation
 Quote:
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has been taken into federal custody at his home, the Chicago Tribune reported on Tuesday citing unnamed sources.

The newspaper said on its website that the U.S. attorney's office in Chicago would not confirm the information.

Blagojevich was the subject of a federal corruption probe.

Wonder if a Republican is next in line to fill the position.
Jason E. Perkins annoyed Moderator Don't tase me, bro!
15000+ posts 6 minutes 12 seconds ago Reading a post
Thread: President Barack Obama

I'm a sick of rex and g-man's racism as you Jason.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/18/obamas-rick-warren-inauguration-pick-sparks-gay-fury/

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Aretha Franklin will sing, the Rev. Rick Warren will pray and more than 11,000 U.S. troops will be watching over inauguration ceremonies in case of an attack during President-elect Barack Obama's swearing-in on Jan. 20.

But not everyone is pleased with the president-elect's selection of Rev. Warren.

Joe Solomnese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, sent a blistering letter to the president-elect, accusing him of delivering a "genuine blow" to the gay community in choosing the reverend to give the formal invocation at next month's inauguration.

"[W]e feel a deep level of disrespect when one of architects and promoters of an anti-gay agenda is given the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination," he wrote.

Andrew Sullivan wrote on the Atlantic Web site, "[It's] shrewd politics, but if anyone is under any illusion that Obama is interested in advancing gay equality, they should probably sober up now."

Liberal groups criticized the inclusion of Warren, whose "Purpose Driven Life" books and lectures have made his church among the largest in the country. People For the American Way President Kathryn Kolbert said Warren's support for California Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage, should have blocked his invitation.

"It's a huge mistake," said California gay rights activist Rick Jacobs, who chairs the state's Courage Campaign. "He's really the wrong person to lead the president into office."

Washington Blade editor, Kevin Naff, called the selection "Obama's first big mistake."

A popular figure among evangelicals, Warren remained publicly neutral during the presidential campaign. He invited both Obama and his Republican rival John McCain to his Saddleback Church in Orange County for a forum on faith and public service.

As many as 4 million visitors are expected to be on hand when Obama takes the noontime oath from Chief Justice John Roberts on the steps of the Capitol.

Some 4,000 local police, 4,000 police from around the country and security agents from other government agencies will be on hand, taking direction from the Secret Service. About 7,500 active duty military and 4,000 National Guard troops also will participate. That includes a contingent on alert to respond to a chemical attack.

A "big chunk" of active and guard units will perform ceremonial work involving parades, reviews and honor guards, the U.S. commander in charge of domestic defense said Wednesday.

Planners are working under the assumption a terrorist or rogue element might try to interrupt the event, said Gen. Gene Renuart, head of the U.S. Northern Command. "So it's prudent for us to plan for the possibility of that kind of event, and to be prepared either to deter it or to respond to it," he said in a session with defense writers.

Also Wednesday, officials announced the list of participants for the inauguration.

The program is to feature poet Elizabeth Alexander; the Rev. Joseph Lowery, a veteran civil rights leader; the U.S. Marine and Navy bands; and the San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus.

"So it's prudent for us to plan for the possibility of that kind of event, and to be prepared either to deter it or to respond to it," he said.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, said the day would be "an event of historic proportion."

"It is appropriate that the program will include some of the world's most gifted artists from a wide range of backgrounds and genres," she said.

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Itzhak Perlman, pianist Gabriela Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill will perform a new work composed by John Williams, who also provided music for Obama's election night rally in Chicago's Grant Park. The committee did not release a title for the work by Williams, who is best known for his film scores such as "Star Wars" and "Jaws."

Vice President-elect Joe Biden will take his oath from Justice John Paul Stevens.

Others on the schedule were a nod to Obama's election as the country's first black president.

Lowery, who co-founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with Martin Luther King, Jr., was scheduled to offer the event's benediction.

Franklin, a living legend with 21 Grammies, performed for President Bill Clinton in 1993, but this would be her first Inauguration. During a Labor Day weekend rally in Detroit, Obama sang a bit of Franklin's "Chain of Fools" to her.

Alexander, a 2005 Pulitzer Prize finalist and Yale University professor, centers her poems and essays on race relations and social movements.

She is only the fourth poet to have a speaking role at a presidential Inauguration. Robert Frost, who was 86 at the time, wrote a poem for Kennedy's inaugural in 1961 but couldn't make out the words of the poem in the sun's glare. Instead, he recited an earlier work. Clinton chose Maya Angelou to write a poem for his first inaugural in 1993, and Miller Williams read "Of History and Hope" at his second inaugural.

MEM do you have gay fury over this?
MEM only gets outraged at anti-gay measures when Republicans consider them, not when Democrats impose them.

Remember his whole "Clinton had to outlaw gay marriage in order to save it from Republicans" spiel?
Heh I see G-man is still G-man, whatever gets him through the day I suppose.

Personally not happy with Obama's selection but not really surprised either. I never understood the gays and others like the prochoice people that chose to support a candidate that was a bit more shyer in showing their support than Hillary.
Obama is so shy.
Posted By: Franta Re: President Barack Hussein Obama - 2009-01-25 10:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: ROY BATTY
Changes.

For you guys!

But not for you gals?
Posted By: the G-man Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 7:19 PM
Obama Dazzles Dems and GOP with Cabinet Picks

Critics Blame Emanuel for Obama's Cabinet Troubles
  • President Obama's latest Cabinet setback -- the sudden withdrawal of Republican Sen. Judd Gregg as commerce secretary nominee -- has put the White House on the defensive, particularly Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, whom some critics blame for cracks in the vetting process.

"They need to do a better job in their vetting process," said Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif. An administration gets a pass for botching the selection of one nominee, he said, "but the third or fourth time, you have to start asking, are people doing their jobs?"

Gregg's withdrawal came just three weeks into Obama's presidency and on the heels of several other Cabinet troubles. He still needs to fill two vacancies -- at the Commerce and Health and Human Services departments. Former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle withdrew his nomination for the latter post amid a tax controversy, while Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner was confirmed by the Senate despite revelations that he had not paid some of his taxes on time.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson was Obama's first choice for commerce secretary. He withdrew in early January following the disclosure that a grand jury is investigating allegations of wrongdoing in the awarding of contracts in his state. Richardson has not been implicated personally.

The troubles come as the new president expends political capital in Washington -- and around the country -- for his economic package and is seeking to move forward with an ambitious agenda in the midst of an economic recession.

Emanuel acknowledged to reporters Thursday that some might question the administration's early competence.

Bardella says Emanuel's notorious brand of brass-knuckles politics has contributed to Obama stumbling out of the gate.

"I think what you're seeing is what happens when the rhetoric of your campaign clashes with how you decide to run your operation," he said, claiming that Obama has failed to govern from the center by politicizing the West Wing.

"You do not pick Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff without knowing what kind of politics he will bring in the West Wing."
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 7:46 PM
Not sure how the blame game gets played in cases like Sen. Judd Gregg dropping out. He said he wanted the job and then decided he would not do it because he's republican. The vetting process wasn't a factor.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 7:48 PM

How DARE Gregg reject the hive mind

There. Fixed it for you.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 7:54 PM

How DARE Gregg reject the hive mind

There. Fixed it for you.

You have your opinion and you also have mine too ;\)
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 8:33 PM
the difference is that while a lot of people may begrudge g-man's opinion, I can't think of anyone who wants or even really needs to be told yours.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 8:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
...I can't think ...

It's valid to ask how Sen. Judd Gregg dropping out is in anyway Obama's fault. I wasn't attacking Gregg for changing his mind but G-man's post brought up the issue of vetting. In this case I'm not sure how more vetting would have changed the outcome.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 9:02 PM

It's valid to ask how Sen. Judd Gregg dropping out is in anyway Obama's fault.

Of course, the article MEM is "responding" to didn't allege it was Obama's fault as much as it was the fault of his chief of staff.

But, for the sake of argument, it should be noted that part of the "vetting" process is giving a potential job candidate a full and fair picture of the duties of the position and what the President/employer expects. It seems as if that didn't happen here, resulting in Gregg deciding to turn the job down as it became clear the President and he didn't see eye to eye on the issues facing the department and/or the the positions to be taken by it.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 9:06 PM
It's valid to ask...

if you posted it it's not valid.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 10:59 PM

It's valid to ask how Sen. Judd Gregg dropping out is in anyway Obama's fault.

Of course, the article MEM is "responding" to didn't allege it was Obama's fault as much as it was the fault of his chief of staff.

But, for the sake of argument, it should be noted that part of the "vetting" process is giving a potential job candidate a full and fair picture of the duties of the position and what the President/employer expects. It seems as if that didn't happen here, resulting in Gregg deciding to turn the job down as it became clear the President and he didn't see eye to eye on the issues facing the department and/or the the positions to be taken by it.

I tend to place blame with the boss I suppose but either way Sen. Judd Gregg dropping out was really up to him. It was a given that Gregg as a conservative republican wasn't going to see eye to eye on the issues but he was the one who said he wanted and could do the job at first. There are many valid criticisms when it comes to Obama's other appointments but this one just seems to be a reach.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-15 11:16 PM

Why am I mot surprised that you're trying to obscure the overriding issue by focusing on a single republican in the mix?

However, again for the sake of argument, let's say that the Gregg problem was neither Obama's fault nor his chief of staff's. That still leaves the problems with Richardson, Geitner, Daschale, etc. Who's at fault for those vetting problems?
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-16 12:29 AM
bush
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-16 12:40 AM

Why am I mot surprised that you're trying to obscure the overriding issue by focusing on a single republican in the mix?

The article you posted brought up Gregg not me. Considering that my last post ended with..."There are many valid criticisms when it comes to Obama's other appointments but this one just seems to be a reach. ", I'm also not trying to obscure your issue either.

However, again for the sake of argument, let's say that the Gregg problem was neither Obama's fault nor his chief of staff's. That still leaves the problems with Richardson, Geitner, Daschale, etc. Who's at fault for those vetting problems?

That would fall on Obama & his people to varying degrees.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Obama Cabinet Troubles - 2009-02-16 5:54 AM
"his people".

cant we move beyond race?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100...urgeon-general/

Quote:
CNN's chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, has withdrawn his name from consideration for surgeon general, the network and the White House announced Thursday afternoon.

The announcement comes after FOXNews.com reported that Gupta had misgivings about the offer from President Obama and was expected to refuse the position.

CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer said on air Thursday afternoon that Gupta decided that he wants to continue with his medical career and his job at the news network.

"He is a practicing neurosurgeon. He also wants to spend more time with his family -- his wife is expecting another child right now and, of course, he does want to continue as our chief medical correspondent here at CNN," Blitzer said.

The head of the group that represents the surgeon general's health team earlier told FOXNews.com that Gupta was known to have withdrawn his name.

Jerry Farrell, who heads the Commissioned Officers Association, said hopeful candidates have been calling his organization's office since last week expressing their interest in the post after word got out that "the bidding process was open again."

Farrell's group represents the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service, which the surgeon general oversees.

Farrell said he's been told Gupta had misgivings about both the pay-cut he would have to take and the fact that he might be reporting to two high-level bosses.

Gupta's name surfaced after Obama had tapped former Sen. Tom Daschle to be health secretary and the head of the new White House Office of Health Reform. Farrell said Gupta was apparently offered a dual position in the White House health reform office as well -- and would have been serving under Daschle in both cases.

But after Daschle withdrew his name because of tax problems, Obama subsequently nominated separate candidates for health secretary and health reform office director -- meaning Gupta could have had two different bosses with different sets of priorities.

"The parameters of the job were no longer clear and perhaps not as appealing," Farrell said. "I just think the ground shifted underneath Dr. Gupta."

Then there was the pay cut.

As surgeon general, Gupta would make about $153,000, according to public information on federal salaries. It's unclear what Gupta's contracts are currently worth, but the surgeon general salary would be considerably less.

Gupta has established a lucrative brand in the niche field of health media -- he hosts "House Call" on CNN, and contributes to CBS News and Time magazine. He is also on the staff at Emory University's School of Medicine in Atlanta and is associate chief of neurosurgery at Emory University Hospital.

"It would be an enormous pay cut," said Georges Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Association.

Though Gupta is a high-profile TV personality and was expected to elevate the Office of the Surgeon General much as C. Everett Koop did under President Reagan, some had concerns about his credentials.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich, urged colleagues to oppose the nomination because Gupta lacks the "requisite experience" for the job. But the surgeon general comes for confirmation before the Senate, not the House, and Farrell said Conyers' objections probably did not have much bearing on the process.
i wonder if the press now sees why experience matters for the Presidency?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100...consideration//

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's top pick to be his deputy withdrew from consideration Thursday, a setback for the agency as it confronts the worst financial crisis in decades.

Annette Nazareth, a former senior staffer and commissioner with the Securities and Exchange Commission, withdrew after several interviews and vetting of her financial history, a person familiar with Nazareth's decision said.

But this person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Geithner never publicly named Nazareth as his choice, said no problems with her taxes or other issues arose.

Nazareth, a partner at the law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, could not be reached for comment. Treasury and White House officials would not comment on the matter.

Nazareth's withdrawal from consideration comes as critics say Geithner's lacks the senior staff he needs to make critical decisions about the financial crisis. Not one of his top 17 deputies has been named, let alone confirmed.

Without senior leadership, lower-level Treasury employees can't make decisions or represent the government in crucial conversations with banks and others.

At a Senate hearing Thursday about failed insurance giant American International Group Inc. -- which has received four separate bailouts totaling more than $170 billion -- Sen. Chris Dodd said he had asked Treasury for someone to appear, but that no one was available.

"I am not pleased that we don't have someone here from Treasury to explain what their role in this is," Dodd said.

if they keep dropping like this i may have a shot at a nomination!
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1236103158937&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Obama is gonna be pissed if his Muslim brothers are attacked.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aGJ_.gr_awkY
obama bear market
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/12/AR2009031203273.html

Quote:
H. Rodgin Cohen, chairman of the New York law firm Sullivan & Cromwell, has withdrawn his name from consideration for deputy Treasury secretary, becoming the fourth pick for a prominent Treasury Department post to pull out in recent weeks.

A prominent attorney who has advised many of the top Wall Street firms, Cohen dropped out after the White House found an issue during his vetting process, two sources familiar with the matter said. The sources declined to identify the reason. Cohen did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Though the Treasury is filling its lower-level positions, the thin ranks on the senior levels are taking a toll on the department's ability to deal with a financial crisis that continues to deepen in scope and complexity, government and industry officials say.

Gus O'Donnell, Cabinet Secretary for the British government, was quoted this week in British news reports saying it has been "unbelievably difficult" to talk to people at the U.S. Treasury: "There is nobody there."

Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner said Wednesday during a briefing with reporters that he was "a little surprised" when told of the comments. He added that he has been working closely with British officials and had not heard of any communication problems.

Treasury officials say the staffing shortage has not hindered their ability to address the financial crisis. In just over a month, the department has announced a "stress test" to capitalize banks in case the economy worsens, a plan to aid homeowners and an initiative to restart the consumer lending markets. Treasury officials also played a key role on the federal budget announced last month and are working on a plan to tackle the toxic assets clogging the books of banks as well as a plan to overhaul financial regulation.

Others who removed themselves from consideration in recent weeks include Annette Nazareth, an attorney who was being considered for the deputy post; Lee Sachs, a former Treasury official in the Clinton administration, who was expected to be the under secretary for domestic finance; and International Monetary Fund official Caroline Atkinson, who was in line for under secretary for international affairs.
maybe next time people will vote for a President with more on his resume than a series of "Present" votes.....
Posted By: Irwin Schwab ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Reviews Obama - 2009-05-30 3:32 PM

Stephen A. Smith's "character" on ESPN is a loud over the top sports guy, but it's worth checking out his review of Obama thus far. He puts in to words much better than I do the dangers of taxing us and our grand children into oblivion. What amkes this even nicer is the fact that most African Americans feel pressured to tow the company line with Obama and he doesnt. This guy is in the entertainment sector and actually gives and honest critique.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524881,00.html

Quote:
Usama bin Laden threatened Americans in a new audio tape Wednesday, saying President Barack Obama inflamed hatred toward the U.S. by ordering Pakistan to crack down on militants in Swat Valley and block Islamic law there.

Bin Laden claimed U.S. pressure led to a campaign of "killing, fighting, bombing and destruction" that prompted the exodus of a million Muslims from Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan.

The message was broadcast for the first time on pan-Arab Al-Jazeera Television around the same time Obama touched down in Saudi Arabia at the start of a Mideast visit. He is trying repair relations with the Muslim world frayed under the previous Bush administration.

"Elderly people, children and women fled their homes and lived in tents as refugees after they have lived in dignity in their homes," bin Laden said. "Let the American people be ready to reap what the White House leaders have sown," he added.

"Obama and his administration have sown new seeds to increase hatred and revenge on America," bin Laden said. "The number of these seeds is equal to the number of displaced people from Swat Valley."

Click here for the latest stories and videos on Usama bin Laden from FOX News.

Pakistan's military offensive to expel the Taliban from Swat Valley was launched in late April after the militants abandoned a peace deal with the government that gave them control of the region.

The offensive, strongly backed by Washington, is seen as a test of Pakistan's resolve against militants in the northwestern border region near Afghanistan. Pakistanis tired of militant attacks in the country that have killed hundreds of civilians have also supported the campaign. But the fighting has uprooted some 3 million people.

Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard C. Holbrooke will visit Pakistan from June 3 to June 5, and will be leading the delegation of U.S. officials from the U.S. Department of State, USAID, and Department of Defense.

He is traveling at the request of Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to assess the welfare of the people displaced by the security operations being carried out by Pakistani authorities against insurgent extremists.

House Minority Whip Rep. Eric Cantor said the recording is a reminder of the dangers U.S. troops face.

"Obvioulsy that underscores the threat that continues to fester out there against our troops that are in the region," he said. "And frankly the threats that our allies face every day. Again we want to support the effort of this administration to secure our troops."

Bin Laden focused entirely on Pakistan, claiming President Asif Ali Zardari was paid by the White House to start the crackdown.

Al-Jazeera aired excerpts of the tape and did not say how it was obtained.

FBI officials say that — while the tape may appear real — investigators are reviewing the recording for authenticity and any other information that may help them.

While there has never been a fake Usama bin Laden tape, officials will still be checking it for authenticiy. The timing of this tape is not a coincidence given the timing of the president's Mideast trip.

Bin Laden, whose last message was released in mid-March, has been sparing in his criticism of Obama in the past. In January, he said only that the U.S. president had received a "heavy inheritance" from his predecessor.

However, his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri has repeatedly condemned Obama, even using racial slurs.

Bin Laden's message followed just hours after al-Zawahri criticized Obama's upcoming speech on Thursday to the Islamic world in Cairo, saying it will not change the "bloody messages" the U.S. military is sending Muslims in American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Dont they get the news over there? Obama is closing gitmo, there is no war on terror, Obama gives pretty speeches. Arent we supposed to be safer now?
reset
Is this JLA's way of saying that wanting to close Gitmo allowed for a swifter death of Bin Laden?
© RKMBs