Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Probably the only positive thing to have come out of this entire sad issue is that Americans are now interested in foreign affairs.

Things that happen overseas now have a demonstratable impact upon the lives of the American public.

The last 2 presidential election debates omitted any questions concerning international affairs. I doubt that will happen next time.

The very fact, Rob, that you have maintained this forum and it has continued to generate interest is evidence of what I am saying.

Americans might be a bit more aware now of the impact their government's policies have on people abroad.

The US government seems to have often adopted the attitude that foreigners don't vote, so it can do as it wishes in foreign lands.

The American people are fundamentally decent and principled. The US government has not always acted in the same way.

I hope that the US public will keep as close an eye on its government's activities internationally now, as it does domestically.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
well... i dont think its the whole of the us that was in the dark. i think politicians, the military, and a decent perecentage were involved in foreign affairs.

but i agree in that the majority aint gotsa clue. myself included.

hell, to be honest, they mention kabul, or iraq, or kenya or france or mexico... for all i know, these places dont even exist! i've never been there, have no interest in going there, dont wanna involve myself in those departments. i could care less. news comes out about the area, i tune out.

its just not my bag, baby.

but, thats not really an option anymore. for starters, its ALL we've heard about for the past 100 days. if you watch tv, visit news sites, or listen to the radio, we've had no choice. (hell, even my pointless website is now frought with information).

and now, quite frankly, EVERYthing has to be thought about differently. every flight and airline has to consider where they're stopping, where they're flying to (domestic or otherwise). every cop now has to look at race and foreigners, for better or for worse.

the ideas of profiling come into question, good or bad.

and, you're right, the next presidential election will surely concentrate on these events (and id be surpised at hell if bush lost, however hated he was/is).

i dont think its the ONLY good thats come from the events...

i think, more importantly, america as a country has bonded in such a unique and powerful way, centering in its heart of NYC, and shooting outwords, in concentric circles, even beyond our own geological borders, to our allies in europe, asia, and beyond.

now thats some good stuff.

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Yes that's true too: certainly America has rediscovered its identity (if indeed it was ever really lost).

Link Copied to Clipboard