cobra kai
15000+ posts

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
its like a 6 minute video. i thought it was pretty cool.

a guy goes around during the NYC war protests and asks the protestors what they think of everything, what their suggestions are, etc.

it more or less plays out like a "jay walking" segment on leno, as none of those asked (or filmed, to be fair) say anything resembling intelligent debate, prose, diction (etc).

mostly, the overwhelming opinion was that they dont like dubya ... and they're not exactly sure why... but they're pretty sure he's like hitler.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I saw something like that on the local news. All these stupid kids are skipping school to protest. They didn't know Saddam Hussen's name ("I think its Osama something..."), they thought we had already bombed Iraq, handed out pamphlets saying "Healthcare not Wellfare!" when the pamphlets read Healthcare not warfare. They figure we're in the wrong because, "they never did anything to us! We're just going in and killing people who did nothing!" Many also think this is a war about oil.
... dumb as bricks.

Yeah, I found out last night that some of our protests made national news. Hear about them? Here in Colorado Springs they had to break out the teargas and everything. It was such a pain in the ass to get to work that day. :) I guess some people drove down from Denver to incite some riot action.

That's the big problem; people aren't protesting the war for any real reason. They just follow the crowd. Everyone wants to be like those 'radical hippies' from the 60/70's and nobody really has a cause. They don't even read the fucking PAPER. Its so ...sad.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Most people who are outspoken politically on the left tend to gripe and never have any real solutions. They say Americans should have this or that, but never have a plan. they usually just say the Republican plan won't work. Like the anti-war group in congress say inspections are working. they are working to a degree because thousands of troops are surrounding them (are we supposed to just keep them theer indefinitely?). Take them back home and saddam will be busy laughing at the inspectors while he shuffles around his armament...

The only solution is to depose Saddam and let Iraq vote in a true democratic election....then walk over to iran and do the same thing..then if Korea hasn't been dealt with by the Chinese and Russians. Then they get all their military targets bombed too. Then World War 3 starts and we all die.....that's the plan...

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
good points.

i fear that a lot of the comments and statements from both sides of the argument (for and against war) are coming from those who completely dont know, or even want to know, whats going on. they just want to comment.

specifically, tho (and this could just be because of my point of view on this) i think the anti-war protestors are the worst -- possibly because they're the loudest.

this interview shows hundreds of people (and on that day, there were 100k in nyc) who know absolutely nothing about what is going on. they're all advocates of "peace" -- wull duh! we ALL want peace. but their solution is to not learn, and assume bush is hitler. thats just ignorance beyond belief.

i think the documentary wrapped up nicely with the commentary saying that, yeah, we'll all have differing opinions, but education will help that out a little -- at least more so than name calling and attacking and drawing a mustache on the president.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Sigh.

There are those who have legitimate gripes against Dubya, and suggestions for the government and so on. And then there are a bunch of damn slacker protestors giving the intelligent leftists a bad name.

But it must be remembered, that whoever made this film (and others like it), set out to make it with a goal in mind. The film is most likely edited to reflect that goal. What is in the final cut doesn't necessarily represent every single person there.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Don't worry, not all us college kids are like that.

-

Oh yeah...I waited for a Saturday...because I value my education.

400+ posts
400+ posts
Well, haveta say. I'm anti-war. But really if we don't do something war-like, then all our credibility with the rest of the world goes out the window. Kind of a catch-22 if you think about it.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Pig Iron:
Most people who are outspoken politically on the left tend to gripe and never have any real solutions.

That's a turn for the books. Most right wingers complain that left-wingers have too many solutions.

quote:

They say Americans should have this or that, but never have a plan. they usually just say the Republican plan won't work. Like the anti-war group in congress say inspections are working. they are working to a degree because thousands of troops are surrounding them (are we supposed to just keep them theer indefinitely?).

That is a very valid point. The inspections are actually working, though - with the threat of invasion, lots of stuff has come out.

The thing though with this invasion is that Iraq will need to be occupied for about 3-5 years. The cost of invasion and occupation will comes to about $10b a year. Hello American taxpayer!

I read an interesting plan the other day - withdraw the sanctions in return for democratic reform. Pretty long shot, though.

quote:

Take them back home and saddam will be busy laughing at the inspectors while he shuffles around his armament...

The only solution is to depose Saddam and let Iraq vote in a true democratic election....then walk over to iran and do the same thing..then if Korea hasn't been dealt with by the Chinese and Russians. Then they get all their military targets bombed too. Then World War 3 starts and we all die.....that's the plan...

Iran has some measure of democracy. It will be a fully fledged democracy in sub-10 years, once the old men die off.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
The one thing many don't seem to realize is that a democratic state full of Muslim radicals is not a good thing. One reason Quwait and Saudi Arabia(at least on the surface) are pro west is because the people in charge are about the $ not the Allah.

that said, I don't know how this whole the Inspections are working thing came about. 1441 was about full disclosure and compliance, not destroying shit after inspectors find it. Once they found the first piece of undesclosed material Iraq was in viloation.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
good for you, jack!

its not often you see (literal) signs of support.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny:
There are those who have legitimate gripes against Dubya, and suggestions for the government and so on. And then there are a bunch of damn slacker protestors giving the intelligent leftists a bad name. But it must be remembered, that whoever made this film (and others like it), set out to make it with a goal in mind. The film is most likely edited to reflect that goal. What is in the final cut doesn't necessarily represent every single person there.

good points, danny. and, like i said, to be fair, we only got to see those that the film maker wanted us to see

apparently, he (the film maker) received thousands of emails with questions / complaints / concerns on this lil documentary, so he set up a web page, here with answers to such questions. basically, he said that he didn't much edit the tape at all -- but again, you gotta take that answer with a grain of salt.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
The inspections are actually working, though - with the threat of invasion, lots of stuff has come out.

with major emphasis on "threat of invasion."

inspections (blix-led!) lasted for 15 years prior to the first gulf war, and found nothing. and that was when iraq had, literally, stock piles of the bad stuff. only war actions in desert storm turned it up. same thing this time around; inspections went on for months with nothing... until the US and UK showed their bombs (ew!) -- saddam only seemed to find stuff on the deadlines.

quote:
Originally posted by britneyspearsatemyshorts:
1441 was about full disclosure and compliance, not destroying shit after inspectors find it. Once they found the first piece of undesclosed material Iraq was in viloation.

absolutely correct.

in almost these exact terms, the document said "no more fucking up. not once more. instead, show us everything, and get rid of it." all it should have taken to break that resolution was one of the many fuck ups, or even questionable fuck ups. it was, after all, a last chance.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Prometheus, saving us from differing opinions since 2011!

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.

Link Copied to Clipboard