Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240904 2003-06-30 5:10 AM
whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Seeing as how I was more rivited to the whole Affirmative Action debate last week, i was horrified today to read Scalia's clearly bigoted comments regarding striking down Texas' Anti-Sodomy laws.

quote:
"Today's opinion is the product of a court that has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda," Scalia said in an angry tone. The majority has joined the "homosexual activists [who seek to] eliminate the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct," he said. Only Rehnquist and Justice Clarence Thomas joined him.

As Scalia spoke, his colleagues seemed determined to ignore him. They gazed straight ahead or studied the ceiling.

Although Scalia's views resonate with a large segment of the public, his influence within the court appears to be minimal.

Without question, he is smart, quick, witty and devoted to the law. He is considered the court's most gifted writer, and he often dominates the oral arguments. Yet he rarely writes an important opinion for the court. Even when there is a conservative majority, Rehnquist assigns the court's opinion elsewhere, such as to Justices O'Connor and Kennedy.

Scalia has a rigidity and an abrasiveness that drives away the others. He is known for his sharply worded dissents — but little else.

When he joined the court in 1986, many assumed the former University of Chicago law professor would emerge as the true leader of the court. But from the beginning he had a hard time concealing his disdain for his colleagues.

Now 67, Scalia seems resigned to — or perhaps relishes — the role of the great dissenter.

Unsurprisingly, Clarence Thomas was right behind Scalia (as usual). It should have been surprising and sort of hypocritical considering Thomas once voiced these words in the halls of Congress during his 1991 nomination hearings

quote:
"I will not provide the rope for my own lynching or for further humiliation. I am not going to engage in discussions, nor will I submit to roving questions of what goes on in the most intimate parts of my private life or the sanctity of my bedroom. These are the most intimate parts of my privacy, and they will remain just that, private."
My question is this. Are liberals the ones with "agendas" that threaten the fabric of society or are the only agendas being carried out by the far-right eager to thrust their morality, bigotry, and values on the rest of us.

I was always under the impression that The Supreme Court was supposed to be above politics, but when you have Scalia running around accusing his fellow conservative justices of "betrayal" when they rule against positions favoured by the far right (such as Affirmative Action, school prayer,abortion rights), I have to wonder if Scalia thinks conservative justices are merely there as foot soldiers in "culture wars" against the (perceived)left.

1 post
1 post
quote:
Originally posted by whomod:

Unsurprisingly, Clarence Thomas was right behind Scalia (as usual). It should have been surprising and sort of hypocritical considering Thomas once voiced these words in the halls of Congress during his 1991 nomination hearings

[QUOTE]"I will not provide the rope for my own lynching or for further humiliation. I am not going to engage in discussions, nor will I submit to roving questions of what goes on in the most intimate parts of my private life or the sanctity of my bedroom. These are the most intimate parts of my privacy, and they will remain just that, private."

I think there is a distinction between the two. Thomas doesn't believe there is a right to "privacy" in the Constitution. The "right" Thomas discusses in your quote is the freedom of speech. Very different....however, I will note a slight amount of irony.

quote:

My question is this. Are liberals the ones with "agendas" that threaten the fabric of society or are the only agendas being carried out by the far-right eager to thrust their morality, bigotry, and values on the rest of us.

Why does it have to be one or the other. Don't you assume it is both? People don't organize, raise money, lobby Congress and scream bloody murder if without an agenda. Liberals have an agenda. Conservatives also have an agenda. In fact,I'd argue that for any side with an agenda, there is a counter-agenda organized. Of course there is a liberal agenda, but we counter that with our VAST right wing conspiracy.

quote:

I was always under the impression that The Supreme Court was supposed to be above politics, but when you have Scalia running around accusing his fellow conservative justices of "betrayal" when they rule against positions favoured by the far right (such as Affirmative Action, school prayer,abortion rights), I have to wonder if Scalia thinks conservative justices are merely there as foot soldiers in "culture wars" against the (perceived)left.

The guy really used poor language when he had a legitimate point. If he had just said "this is not a matter for the courts, but rather to be entrusted to the legislature." liberals may have been angry with him, but I think he wouldn't have given him so much ammo.

I'd argue that his inability to see this means he does NOT dwell in the political world. Life appointment means he doesn't have to take responsibility for his words.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Everyone's got an agenda. Just ask their opposition. [wink]

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Still, its always sad when you see judges diplay this level of a lack of objectivity.

One of the best judges ever in the common law world, Chief Justice Owen Dixon of Australia, was not able to sit next to a black man on the bench of the Privy Council in England.

Its a shame when judges like Dixon - and Scalia - give way to their bigotry.

1 post
1 post
Actually, I disagree,Dave. Scalia has a consistent legal doctrine. He is a strict constructionist and as such, he takes a narrow view of the Constitution. If it isn't in there, he doesn't see it.

His comments, while insensitive, were likely NOT the rational for his decision.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by BigOl'Willie:
Actually, I disagree,Dave. Scalia has a consistent legal doctrine. He is a strict constructionist and as such, he takes a narrow view of the Constitution. If it isn't in there, he doesn't see it.

His comments, while insensitive, were likely NOT the rational for his decision.

But saying stuff like that gives rise to the presumption that it colours his outlook.

1 post
1 post
Agreed. Poor form.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quack quack.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Quack quack.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

Look at the pretty pictures.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Quote:

whomod said:
Quack quack.

A nother F ucking L ame A ss C lown posts a message.
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
There. I've listed the only people there who aern't fucktards.

And here's the fucktards.

1)Mr.JLA
2)Dave TWB
3)Pariah
4)The G-Man

Everyone else there falls in between the 2 poles.

Rob tries to keep it cool so I respect that. Still, I don't think he's all that removed from the latter list though.

You're welcome.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]

Link Copied to Clipboard