Next Thread
Print Thread
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/cricket_aus_ind_beer

Australian police call time on "beer wenches"
Thu Jan 8,10:32 PM ET

MELBOURNE, Australia, (AFP) - Australian police have warned "beer wenches" -- scantily-clad women hired by cricket fans to queue at the bar for alcohol -- that they would not be welcome at the one-day international series with India here.

Fans pay the women up to 70 dollars an hour to buy drinks so they can concentrate on the game but police fear the practice contributes to binge drinking and drunkenness.

The women first appeared at Test matches last year and police believe they will be offering their services at the one-dayers, which traditionally attract a more rowdy crowd than the five-day version of the game.

While authorities are powerless to ban the women outright, they can prosecute them if they are found to be serving alcohol to anyone who is intoxicated.

Victoria state superintendent Mick Williams said police would keep a watchful eye over any beer wenches at the one-day series opener between Australia and India at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), which is expected to attract a crowd of 60,000.

"Anyone caught supplying alcohol to intoxicated patrons faces eviction and possible prosecution," he said.

At least five women were ejected from the fifth Test between Australia and England in Sydney last week, four for irresponsibly serving alcohol and one for offensive behaviour.

Police have also been handed increased powers to clamp down on bad behaviour during the one day series, with the fine for pitch invasion increased from 1,000 dollars to 6,000 dollars.

About 300 people were ejected from last year's opening one-dayer featuring Australia against England at the MCG.

too blessed to be stressed
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
It's a dark day for me and my countrymen.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis

Link Copied to Clipboard