#249672 2004-01-16 2:22 PM
Bianca Offline OP
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
PANAMA

Eighteen castaways, including four champions and some of the series' best personalities, will be stranded once again to compete for the million-dollar prize. Who will outwit, outplay, and outlast all others?

PREMIERES SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 1, AFTER SUPER BOWL XXXVIII

CHAPERA TRIBE

ALICIA (Season 2: Outback)
The personal trainer with the fab abs STRATEGY: Work hard and hope a meritocracy breaks out. STRENGTHS: Provoke her and she’ll come out fighting. Nobody’s safe from that in-your-face finger wave. WEAKNESS: She doesn’t suffer fools gladly. Considering the company she’ll be keeping, that could be a problem. BOTTOM LINE: She’s a sleeper to watch. ODDS: 2-1

AMBER (Season 2: Outback)
Jerri’s kid STRATEGY: Stick like glue to the most despised person in your tribe. Repeat until eliminated. STRENGTHS: Give us a minute. We’re thinking. WEAKNESS: See strategy. BOTTOM LINE: Even if she lasted, she’d have no endgame. ODDS: 50-1

ROB C. (Season 6: The Amazon)
The basement-dwelling ham STRATEGY: Scheme and plot. Scheme and plot. Then, for a change of pace, plot and scheme. STRENGTHS: Has an offbeat, pesky-little-brother appeal and a whiplash-inducing affinity for leaping alliances. WEAKNESS: If he bleats "You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’" again, he’ll be out after about three bars. BOTTOM LINE: He’s a strategist who learns from experience. Keep an eye out—he’s our early favorite. ODDS: 3-2

ROB M. (Season 4: Marquesas)
The unctuous sleaze STRATEGY: Finesse is for sissies. Just act like you’re in charge and people might believe you. STRENGTHS: Unapologetically cribs from "The Godfather." Hey, threats worked for the Corleones! WEAKNESS: Ensnaring himself. It takes a compass to follow his convoluted web of phony loyalties. BOTTOM LINE: Others are equally slippery and less obnoxious. ODDS: 12-1

SUSAN (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
The hardheaded Wisconsin truck driver STRATEGY: Speak your mind. What’s the worst they can do, leave you to die of thirst with no regrets? STRENGTHS: Midwestern women who honk horns for a living are not to be trifled with. WEAKNESS: If she can’t check her famous volatility, expect a short stay. And police sirens. BOTTOM LINE: Barring personality clashes, she’s a viable player. ODDS: 3-1

TOM (Season 3: Africa)
The boorish goat farmer STRATEGY: Select strong allies and baffle your enemies with your wacky elephant impression STRENGTHS: His goofball persona could be a welcome oasis in a vast desert of self-important speechifying. WEAKNESS: Small annoyances add up. He needs to bathe, stop ogling and, at least occasionally, shut up. BOTTOM LINE: He may last a while but seems likely to fall out of contention late. ODDS: 12-1

SABOGA TRIBE

ETHAN (Season 3: Africa, winner)
The heartthrob soccer player STRATEGY: Flog everyone with charm until they beg for mercy. STRENGTHS: A lack of conspicuous flaws. WEAKNESS: The unassuming nice-guy routine loses steam once you’ve crashed the celebrity-dating circuit. BOTTOM LINE: A real force, but the others may not want to hand him any more than he already has. ODDS: 5-1

JENNA L. (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
STRATEGY: Be nice! No one votes out a nice person! It’s not a game about treachery and betrayal or anything! STRENGTHS: The cuteness factor can disguise some stealthy plotting. Who’d ever suspect the Queen of Perk? WEAKNESS: Relentless cheerfulness gets old really, really fast. BOTTOM LINE: She’s got charm, but has she got a plan? ODDS: 8-1

JERRI (Season 2: Outback)
The self-styled iconic bitch STRATEGY: Inspire simmering, tooth-grinding hatred. Hey, you’ve heard of reverse psychology, right? STRENGTHS: She’s fearless. Remember, she even survived Corey Feldman’s wedding on The Surreal Life. WEAKNESS: Big biceps and Texas twangs. If Colby can bewitch, bother and bewilder her again, she’s toast. BOTTOM LINE: It is possible to be too unlikable to win. ODDS: 40-1

RUDY (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
STRATEGY: The grouchy former Navy SEAL STRENGTHS: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. But not in a homosexual way. WEAKNESS: The good thing about outspoken old goats is that you always know where you stand with them. BOTTOM LINE: You know that uncle you’re ready to strangle by the end of Thanksgiving dinner? Yeah, that’s him. ODDS: 7-2

RUPERT (Season 7: Pearl Islands)
Everybody’s slightly psychotic big brother STRATEGY: Reassure your tribe mates that ruthless, scavenging pirates can still have soft, mushy hearts. STRENGTHS: It’s hard not to love the guy who brings home the fish— especially when it’s eat fish or eat tree bark. WEAKNESS: Taking the game too personally. It’s not all about avenging high school slights. BOTTOM LINE: His strong survival skills would have to overcome a weak mental game. ODDS: 6-1

TINA (Season 2: Outback, winner)
The nurturing nurse STRATEGY: Befriend a loyal and virtuous hottie, and try not to make anyone hate you too much. STRENGTHS: Come on. Kicking her out would be like banishing your mom. WEAKNESS: Well…kicking her out would be like banishing your mom. BOTTOM LINE:. Her status as a previous winner could make her a target for early dismissal. ODDS: 10-1

OGO MOGO TRIBE

COLBY (Season 2: Outback)
The hunky mama’s boy STRATEGY: Monopolize immunity challenges until people start to forget they’re allowed to vote for you. STRENGTHS: He does what he says, says what he thinks and thinks for himself. Sincerity—the sneakiest scam of all. WEAKNESS: The right mother figure can wrap him around her ankles like it’s the first day of preschool. BOTTOM LINE: If he doesn’t intimidate the others as a physical threat, he’s a strong contender. ODDS: 9-5

JENNA M. (Season 6: The Amazon, winner)
The catty swimsuit model STRATEGY: Divert the men of your tribe with public sponge baths. STRENGTHS: Confidence. She’s unburdened by the doubts that plague ordinary, ugly people. WEAKNESS: Contempt for older, non-"cute" women. Wait till Susan Hawk hears about that! BOTTOM LINE: Will anyone really let her win again? ODDS: 10-1

KATHY (Season 4: Marquesas)
The take-charge artist and doting mom STRATEGY: Go all-out for your tribe. Yes, that includes urinating on a teammate’s hand in a medical emergency. STRENGTHS: Targeted diplomacy. She avoids petty conflicts by offering strategic sops to her rivals. WEAKNESS: She’s got a pushy streak, which won’t wash with this swarm of type-A personalities. BOTTOM LINE: She seems unlikely to form the bonds it takes to come out on top. ODDS: 5-2

LEX (Season 3: Africa)
The creepy control freak STRATEGY: Flash those crazy eyes like you’re about to snap. There’s no substitute for inspiring stark terror. STRENGTHS: Nutty? Maybe. But he’s not too cracked to assemble a powerful alliance and hold it together. WEAKNESS: An itchy trigger finger. His temper can drive him to strike first and ask questions later. BOTTOM LINE: He’s a skilled player with a strong personality, making it a tough call. ODDS: 20-1

RICHARD (Season 1: Pulau Tiga, winner)
The frequently naked corporate trainer STRATEGY: Create an alliance. Stick to it. Shut up about it. Deceptively simple, no? STRENGTHS: He pioneered the alliance strategy. Only a fool would underestimate the original Weasel King WEAKNESS: He pioneered the alliance strategy. Now every poseur with a pulse knows the secret. BOTTOM LINE: They should toss him early—but then, they should’ve last time, too. ODDS: 17-1

SHII ANN (Season 5: Thailand)
The self-titled "Shii Devil" STRATEGY: Enemies are enemies. Why sugarcoat it? STRENGTHS: She’ll do anything, say anything and eat anything—screw you! WEAKNESS: Thin-skinned, which is bizarre for an unrepentant troublemaker. BOTTOM LINE: Ultimately, her controversial personality is a lot to overcome. ODDS: 25-1

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'm enjoying the heck out of this. Nobody I'm really rooting for yet, although I wouldn't want one of the previous winners to win again. Nor one of the more rat like players who are fun to watch but you don't want them winning. So I suppose Alicia, Susan, Rupert, Kathy & maybe Shii Ann. Too bad Rudy got the boot early on.

Fair play!
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've liked Tom ever since the "incident" with the beans during his first survivor.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
i'm for Susan. .

Last edited by sneaky bunny; 2004-02-07 9:42 PM.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i love survivor, so i really love this show.

i was pulling for all the R's:

rob (not boston rob, the mean rob!), rupert, rudy, and richard hatch.

i was mad as hell when they voted rudy out! second!!! those foul bastards.

giant picture
Rob #249677 2004-02-08 7:09 PM
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Oh whaever, the old fart had to come back to collect his SSI
and bingo night was coming up.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Waitaminnit!!

There have been seven fucking seasons of Survivor?!

Is anyone even watching anymore?!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I never watched to begin with.

And that's terrible.
Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Oh yeah, I still watch.

I don't have anything to do on Thursdays so I watch TV.

No biggie.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
There have been seven fucking seasons of Survivor?!

sorta. 7 versions of the show, but sometimes 2 or even 3 will happen in a single year.

giant picture
Rob #249682 2004-02-09 5:08 PM
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
In Italy (where Big Brother is one of the most followed show) Survivor was a big flop and had just one season, three years ago.

Then last fall they did Survivor All Star, where the all star where third rate VIPs from TV, cinema and music, plus a boiled out ex-soccer champion.

It became the success of the year.

Sometime I wonder what kind of nation I live in.

Rob #249683 2004-02-09 5:37 PM
200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

Those are my favs as well,I hope Rich wins again.

Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
I soooooooooooooooooooo get the feeling that there are going to be a lot of "unlikely" people in the final four.

Just call it a "bad feeling" I'm getting...

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I never understood why this show was popular.

....I'm not sure I understand why any "reality" show is popular.

What is it?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i still don't get the "reality" label.

"cops" is a reality show.
"survivor" is a game show.

its all about scheming, backstabbing, alliances and interpersonal politics. you get to watch people claw at each other, physically and mentally, to "survive."

good stuff.

giant picture
Rob #249687 2004-02-10 3:38 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
That stuff bores me when I see it in real life, so I guess that's why I never watch that crap on television, either.

And that's terrible.
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
With as little as I watch the show, I do follow it a bit (Dad is a fan and I catch some of the action as I go get sodas). I say Rupert all the way. He is too cool.

-----
Shiny!
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I wish Colleen was on here. I miss her.

I hope Jenna breaks out the pink bikini again.

I get this weird feeling Ethan knows what he's doing though.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Just watched tonights eppisode. The shark fight was cool!

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Even though I felt bad for Jenna, she should never have accepted a slot on the show (knowing what she knew about her mother).

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
especially since 1) she already had a million bucks and 2) thats all she talked about the first time she went on the show!

giant picture
Rob #249693 2004-02-13 5:58 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Any one see the "spoiler" at Aint It Cool News?

So far, the list of who has been voted off has been completely accurate, with only some minor pre-vote details being off.

I wonder if this is the real thing....?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I was wondering that too when I saw it.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Eurostar said:
In Italy (where Big Brother is one of the most followed show) Survivor was a big flop and had just one season, three years ago.

Then last fall they did Survivor All Star, where the all star where third rate VIPs from TV, cinema and music, plus a boiled out ex-soccer champion.

It became the success of the year.

Sometime I wonder what kind of nation I live in.

Sounds kinda like The Surreal Life or "Celebrity" Mole. What defines "celebrity" or "star" anymore? Having had a mega-hit show 20 years ago? Making one movie that was great and then a bunch of mediocre direct-to-video sequels? Man, we need some real superstars!

Bringing a little order to message boards everywhere!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Any one see the "spoiler" at Aint It Cool News?

So far, the list of who has been voted off has been completely accurate, with only some minor pre-vote details being off.

I wonder if this is the real thing....?

Oh crap, I couldn't resist & looked. Hope I didn't spoil it for myself!

Fair play!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Drzsmith
 Quote:
Rob Kamphausen said:

Those are my favs as well,I hope Rich wins again.

Link Copied to Clipboard