Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Newsarama has a letter from Clifford Meth, a friend of Dave Cockrum's, on the ailing artist's recovery from pneumonia (he just got off the respirator) detailing plans to help Cockrum fund his medical costs. One is of particualr interest...

Quote:

The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute will be an art portfolio celebrating the works of Dave Cockrum and the characters he created. Edited by Clifford Meth, the book will include artistic and written contributions by many of Dave's friends and admirers, including Murphy Anderson, Dick Ayers, Mark Bagley, Chris Claremont, Gene Colan, Peter David, Harlan Ellison, Mark Evanier, Neil Gaiman, Ron Garney, Tony Isabella, Mike Pascale, Johnny Romita, Marie Severin, Dam Sim, Walt Simonson, Mark Texeira, Roy Thomas, Lee Weeks, Len Wein, and Marv Wolfman.

Info on that and other fundraisrs are in the article...

Well wishes to Dave (who I've spoken to on a few MBs, particularly X-Fan and the DCMB), a favorite of mine and a nice old man who's always friendly with his fans online...

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
careful, many said the same of Pete Townsend!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:
Newsarama has a letter from Clifford Meth, a friend of Dave Cockrum's, on the ailing artist's recovery from pneumonia (he just got off the respirator) detailing plans to help Cockrum fund his medical costs. One is of particualr interest...

Quote:

The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute will be an art portfolio celebrating the works of Dave Cockrum and the characters he created. Edited by Clifford Meth, the book will include artistic and written contributions by many of Dave's friends and admirers, including Murphy Anderson, Dick Ayers, Mark Bagley, Chris Claremont, Gene Colan, Peter David, Harlan Ellison, Mark Evanier, Neil Gaiman, Ron Garney, Tony Isabella, Mike Pascale, Johnny Romita, Marie Severin, Dam Sim, Walt Simonson, Mark Texeira, Roy Thomas, Lee Weeks, Len Wein, and Marv Wolfman.

Well wishes to Dave (who I've spoken to on a few MBs, particularly X-Fan and the DCMB), a favorite of mine and a nice old man who's always friendly with his fans online...

fund his medical costs?

Its bizarre that a man who helped create most of the X-men is so low on cash that people have to get together to chip in for his bills.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Work for Hire is a bitch.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
careful, many said the same of Pete Townsend!

he was doing research

Bow ties are coool.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

First National Bastard said:
Work for Hire is a bitch.

Yup. Especially for those guys in the era before royalties were common.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:

Quote:

fund his medical costs?

Its bizarre that a man who helped create most of the X-men is so low on cash that people have to get together to chip in for his bills.

Sadly, no, it isn't bizarre for comics. Cockrum and Len Wein created those characters in an era when creator rights and royalties were pretty much nonexistant. Meaning they get nada from all the cartoons, toys, movies, etc. I think the only person at Marvel making any royalties from the recent films has actually been Stan Lee, and he had to sue for payment! Betcha Steve Ditko ain't seein' any cash from that Spider-Man movie either.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
"Betcha Steve Ditko ain't seein' any cash from that Spider-Man movie either."

Given that Ditko actually got screen cred as a Spidey creator, I'm guessing that he got some coin. Not as much as Stan by no doubt, but my guess would be that he did receive some money.

JJ

We all wear a green carnation.

Link Copied to Clipboard