Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#252142 2004-01-27 1:54 AM
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Now, it ain't like I need this information, but I am curious.

What's the accepted guidelines for how much a poor sucker is supposed to shell out on a woman's engagement ring?

I've heard between two to 5 months salary is the norm.

And, after hearing that, I've gotta ask... ARE YOU BITCHES FUCKING CRAZY?!?!?[/B]

Ain't no pussy worth two fucking months of me working 10 hour days... no, nights just to put a fucking useless rock on it's finger!

But anyway, is it 2,3,4,or 5 months salary we're expected to shill out?

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I once gave a girl an origami diamond ring.

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Well, since it was a latex girl, I don't think she minded.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
The "old standard" was, and still may be, 2-months salary.

There are a lot of people out there, who have "family heirloom" rings and those are passed on from generation to generation. Or, even people who've purchased antique rings and had them refitted.

I think it really boils down to you and the girl. If you know her style (jewlery & tradition wise) then you could probably get something very nice that's not going to cost you 2-months salary.

Personally, I'd be happy with a white gold band with a princess cut (square) stone. I don't really care for those extra stones on the side or set in the band. I'm all about simplistic looks in my rings.

My sister, on the other hand, has this insanely, gorgeous platinum band with a princess cut stone and two accent stones (4 total) on either side of the center stone. With the size of those stones, I would be surprised if it was a month's worth salary for Matt (he's an engineer at GM).

Bottom line . . . you don't have to go "all out" for an engagement ring. As long as it represents you and your lady, who cares how much you spent (as long as you didn't get it out of a gumball machine that is)?

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
Bottom line . . . you don't have to go "all out" for an engagement ring. As long as it represents you and your lady, who cares how much you spent (as long as you didn't get it out of a gumball machine that is)?

...so I take it that Cracker Jack prizes are out, too, eh?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

First National Bastard said:
Quote:

Bianca said:

...so I take it that Cracker Jack prizes are out, too, eh?

Seriously. If you ever got to the point where you'd want to give a girl a ring . . . would you really want to give her a piece-of-shit-ring to tell her you want her to marry you?

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
I see what you're saying. Your theory is sound.

However, if I, Personally, ever got to the point where I'd be giving a chick an engagement ring, Hell will be spreading rocksalt and Satan will be making S'mores and hot cocoa around the fire.

Why tie oneself down legally when you can just live with 'em?

200+ posts
200+ posts
...because she may be the kind of woman who eventually says "Ring, or hit the road!"

B's on the right track. Find a ring that suits the woman. I got my Jeelee a fairly simple ring because I knew that's what she wanted. The diamond isn't large but it was all I could afford. Now, over 15 years later, I've offered many times to replace the diamond with a non-microscopic one, but she refuses because she loves her rings too much!

Of course, that means I have to buy her other stuff....that was probably the plan all along!

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Cranky said:
...because she may be the kind of woman who eventually says "Ring, or hit the road!"

Then We'll hear Ray Charles singing, and me rejoicing as my soul sparks back to life!

Thankfully, this is all hypothetical at this point, and since I discovered that the majority of women are vain whores out for shallow pretty boys, I've just decided music is more important and said "Fuck It".

But learning about that 2 months salary thing did shock the shit out of me.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Well you know, there is some scientific fact, and then some conjecture as to the following:

WHO #(*&#*$&*# CARES!!!!

Sorry, I had to let some of that out of the locker.
yer lucky there's no spooge and hammers and stuff

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts

Take That!!!!!

100+ posts
100+ posts
Heheh...
I'll be using that...

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
That's the kind of woman I'd give a ring!!!

100+ posts
100+ posts
I don't know what's more Grimace, the purple head or the hangers!

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
It'as obvious from the expression on his face that Grimace approves of, even lusts after his new knockers.

100+ posts
100+ posts
True, I was actually surprised to see Grimace doing anything but Grimacing! (if that's how you spell that)

One question, isn't a triumvirate supposed to have 3 members? Or is that the plug?

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Well, it's supposed to be three people, but when ya have to fire the guitarist for various and sundry reasons, you become a two piece band who gets shit done as best they can.

Plus, we've decided it's a very Ween thing to do until we get a guitarist.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I spent $1,200 dollars for my ex's engagement ring, then paid about $500 for the wedding ring since it had to be specially fitted against the engagement ring. Just don't get some piece of shit 1/16 karot diamond ring with 4 karot gold. Her's was 1/3 karot diamond princess cuts (three diamond set) and 16 karot white & yellow gold. Of course, she's a total bitch and I hocked in her wedding ring for a Bulova Accutron watch and a black titanium ring with 3 diamonds in it. I'm not sure the exact karot, it just looks good on my middle finger when I'm flipping someone off.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I know when I get engaged I do want a ring, but I don't want the guy to go to the poor house for it. B's on the right track...it's a very individual thing. One of my friends hit the mother-load though...I swear her husband is a saint. She got her 1.1 carat princess cut in white gold wiht channeled diamonds around the band. Her wedding band was white gold with channeled diamonds all the way around. Then she convinced him she needed a "utilitarian" white gold band, so she wouldn't have to take her diamonds on vacation and such and rish losing them. So she got a diamond engagement ring, diamond wedding band, regular wedding band and for the rehearsal dinner he got her princess cut diamond earrings to wear at the wedding!!!!

SMILE...IT MAKES PEOPLE WONDER WHAT YOU'VE BEEN UP TO!
Kimi #252161 2004-01-28 1:33 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
Niether husband gave me an engagement ring, and it really didn't matter to me. It's all between you and the girl. Everyone is different and what works for you might not work for anyone else. I know a couple who decided on a lovely antique band for an engagement ring and then just added a nice wedding band to that. It's all in what you make of it.

Wonderfuckingful!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I gotta two carat diamond, but I ain't givin' it to no woman!

Kimi #252163 2004-01-30 4:37 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kimi said:
I know when I get engaged I do want a ring, but I don't want the guy to go to the poor house for it. B's on the right track...it's a very individual thing. One of my friends hit the mother-load though...I swear her husband is a saint. She got her 1.1 carat princess cut in white gold wiht channeled diamonds around the band. Her wedding band was white gold with channeled diamonds all the way around. Then she convinced him she needed a "utilitarian" white gold band, so she wouldn't have to take her diamonds on vacation and such and rish losing them. So she got a diamond engagement ring, diamond wedding band, regular wedding band and for the rehearsal dinner he got her princess cut diamond earrings to wear at the wedding!!!!

Damn, Kimi, I hope you're not that high-maintenance!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
As long as Kimi keeps up to her 'Steak & a Blow Job Day' promise, she'll get the biggest damn rock a guy can afford.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Tradition says it's two month's salary. However, there's no law that compels this.

If you're getting engaged, you and your SO should discuss what's to be paid for a ring. To be frank, it should be very telling of her if she insists on the two-months thing if you can't easily afford it. Going in debt for a ring seems to me stupid. If she insists, this will tell you what kind of woman she is and the level of importance she places on spending money and debt. And you should consider her response and think about the kind of marriage this might mean for the two of you...

As a personal note, my wife and I picked out the ring together and went with something that was affordable. I did not go into debt for the ring. But since I am a man, after all, I have no recollection of how much I did end up paying for it. LOL.

For wedding bands, she used the wedding band of her deceased mother and I use, and still wear, the band that my late father wore while he was married to my mom.

JJ

We all wear a green carnation.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Quote:

Kimi said:

I'm not...
But I'm sure I would be worth it if I was!!!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
As long as Kimi keeps up to her 'Steak & a Blow Job Day' promise, she'll get the biggest damn rock a guy can afford.

Whazzup doc?

Kimi #252168 2004-01-31 2:13 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
See, that what I don't like about today's ideas on marriage. As we all know, in time, sex becomes more of a chore and not as fun as it was in the single life. But now, one (almost always the man) has to buy something or do a really good deed 'round the house to get some.

"Ooh! You bought me a really big diamond ring! I'm gonna fuck you for a week!"

"It's your birthday! Guess I'll give you a blowjob..."

It's give-and-take. It seems everyone works on a sense of reciprocity now; 'what's in it for me?' Just observing...

Kimi #252169 2004-01-31 5:44 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kimi said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Quote:

Kimi said:

I'm not...
But I'm sure I would be worth it if I was!!!

Damn straight.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
500+ posts
500+ posts
well, if marriage is a partenership, then why doesn't the woman foot half the bill for the rings? cause my mom and dad both worked, my dad would buy shit for her(floweers and the like) but damned if she'd spend the money on herself most times.....

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
dizzam!

Link Copied to Clipboard