Next Thread
Print Thread
#260780 2004-02-06 3:41 AM
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Rumor Mill, www.digitalbits.com

Quote:

Remember last week how we told you to expect Lucasfilm's announcement of the release of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD sometime between now and May? Well... you MIGHT not have to wait as long as May after all.

Both The Force.net and Rebel Scum have today posted a rumor that Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox will be making their official Star Wars DVD announcement next week, likely on Tuesday. Their information again confirms that the films will be released in a 4-disc set, like the Indiana Jones DVDs, and that the street date is set for 9/21/04.

The interesting thing is, we'd actually heard this same information from some of our industry sources a few weeks ago - folks who have been extremely reliable over the years. But we know this subject is a real hot button with DVD fans, so in the interest of not getting everyone worked into a frenzy, we've been sitting on it until we could confirm it better. So is it the real deal? Well... keep in mind that announcements like this are never set in stone until they're set in stone, so to speak. I would still absolutely regard this as tentative. Lucasfilm could announce Monday instead of Tuesday, or they could wait until the following week, or the end of the month. That said, it's definitely our belief here at The Bits, based on the best information we have, that an official announcement of some kind is very close.

So let's wait and see what next week brings, shall we? Just maybe good things. Stay tuned...

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Not gonna hold my breath for this one...

I hate being teased by Lucas Film...

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I dont like George Lucas. He thinks he's a genius. Dumb geniass

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
500+ posts
500+ posts
i'm assuming these will only be the super-duper-redone-for the trillinth time edition movies, right? now, if they included the origional theatrical releases....but they won't, and i won't care to purchase.

1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
You won't care to purchase.

The original versions are reported to be lost to the mists of time. Unless you got the early 90s video versions, or the Laser Discs, you'll never see 'em again.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Thank God I got the '90s VHS tapes. Most likely, they'll be the only reason I'll demand that a VCR be kept around the house...

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Thank God I got the '90s VHS tapes. Most likely, they'll be the only reason I'll demand that a VCR be kept around the house...

I have those too, cept mine are bootlegs. The original star wars on DVD's are available on ebay i think, some guy transferred his Laser Disc version to DVD.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Classic SW Movies Headed to DVD September 21st
Tue, Feb 10, 04 01:27:44 AM EST

Reuters UK has the Hollywood Reporter story on the Classic Star Wars movies making their way to DVD!
"Star Wars Trilogy," one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises, is expected to be released as a four-disc DVD box set on September 21.
A global rollout on DVD is expected within days of the domestic release, according to Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The trilogy, featuring the classic franchise films "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," will be released on three DVD discs, with a fourth disc likely to hold a newly made documentary about the "Star Wars" franchise and never-before-seen footage, among several other bonus materials, said Jim Ward, Lucasfilm's vice president of marketing and distribution and the DVD trilogy's executive producer.

"We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," Ward said. "But I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximise on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox president Mike Dunn said.

"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said.

now known as rex
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Its official!

Just a couple months away!

now known as rex

Link Copied to Clipboard