Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
The divorce was amicable, according to sources who knew the bride and groom. The elderly Nintendo has made a habit of getting into marriages and getting a rapid succession of divorces, but on the same token, young promising brides who wish to advance their careers would quickly say yes to any proposal the Big N would suggest, and later leave when more promising suitors suggested happier alternatives.

In this case, Silicon Knights, whose biggest hit remains to be the cult classic Eternal Darkness, seem to prefer content, story-driven stuff, and everything people LIKE, over what nintendo does. Being part of Big N would explain the lackluster sales of Eternal Darkness, but it remained a breath of fresh air within the gaming industry, and everyone took notice.

As we speak, Midway's the Suffering, and those "The Call of Ctlutlu games are made primarily because of the success of Eternal Darkness--which would have been even more successful on a different platform

Words not violence, break the silence. Maybe.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
are you... hitting on silicon knights?

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the split with rare, i thought, was more "traumatic."

not only was nintendo losing a huge developing name, they were becoming exclusive to the gamecube's competition. later on, i didn't think the split was so bad on nintendo's part, because here we are, several years later, and rare still hasn't produced any games. 300 mil (what nintendo got from microsoft) is a lot more profitable than nothing.

...wouldn't have minded another killer instinct, tho

and now there's the silicon knights split. again, not as bad as it seems. for starters, they're another uber slow company. eternal darkness, for long time fans, was supposed to be released on the n64 in the late 90s. the only other hit i can think of was twin snakes, which had massive development assistance from nintendo and konami.

most importantly, SK is going third party -- meaning they can still develop games for nintendo, just no longer exclusively.

so, from nintendo's corporate side, both deals make great sense.

from rare and silicon knights's perspective, both deals make great sense.

eternal darkness probably would have sold significantly better if it were on PS2. sony, at least, would have put together a better ad campaign, something nintendo always seems to fail at.

seems to be a best of both worlds deal for everyone.

giant picture
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
exactly. though i think Rare has done a terrible job from their end.

Words not violence, break the silence. Maybe.

Link Copied to Clipboard