Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
WAITING FOR THE TRADE

NEW X-MEN
by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely, Ethan Van Sciver, Igor Kordey, Phil Jiminez and everyone else in the world

Grant Morrison's New X-Men, really, is a class act. This is exactly how comics should work. Besides the rotating artists, it's an absolutely perfect run.

I say, right now, get the fanboy mentality away. A lot of X-Men die-hards disliked Grant's run for his changes. But just forget about that, and only focus on the flawless writing.

It has all the staples of a great ongoing comic: running plotlines, issues that actually mean something, and honest-to-god character development. Characters CHANGE. They EVOLVE (physically and mentally, 'natch). It's not exactly ground-breaking, but it feels like it when comparing it to most everything else that Marvel does today.

I didn't have the pleasure of reading this book in single issues, so I don't know how it read then, but I know it reads amazing like in trade. Fluid storylines, everything just rolls together... I recommend the hardcovers. (Honestly, I have yet to read the last two story arcs. Doesn't matter though.)

The story starts out with a horrifying event happening... a mysterious person has destroyed the mutant island of Genosha and killed nearly everyone on it, including Magneto. At the end of the first arc, Charles Xavier reveals to the world that he is a mutant himself, and leader of the X-Men. And then we're off...

Everything moves forward logically except for the "Assault on Weapon Plus" four issue sidetrack with Chris Bachalo art. It seems a bit out of place, but is excellent regardless. I haven't read the final four issues that take place in the future with Marc Silvestri drawing, so I can't comment on them.

The art is great for the most part. Quitely comes in every once in awhile to drop a storyline, with talented fill-ins. Igor Kordey's work is the weakest though, but not too bad. Phil Jiminez comes in towards the end to provide reliable, beautiful pencils.

This is really an example of how comics CAN and SHOULD be today... a flawless achievement on Morrison's part, even better than his JLA.

Grade? A+

Trades are :
Vol. 1 - E is for Extinction
Vol. 2 - Imperial
Vol. 3 - New Worlds
Vol. 4 - Riot at Xavier's
Vol. 5 - Assault on Weapon Plus
Vol. 6 - Planet X
Vol. 7 - Here Comes Tomorrow (yet to be released)
Also compiled in three hardovers, third yet to be released.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Flawless writing? I thought it was terrible. Not because of the changes...but because there was no flow to the stories, the dialogue was forced and unnecessarily odd("liquid time...it's all over me.....bwaaaaaaaa"). Grant was clearly recycling ideas from his days on Doom Patrol, which isn't like him at all.

The art changes also added to the chaos. Kordey's crap was like poison to my delicate eyes.

It was simply a miserable venture, on all parts. Morrison had a few good storylines(E is for Extinction, Riot at Xaviers) on his X-run, but I thought they were all with Quietly. For whatever reason, they clicked together, but were very poor when seperated.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Am I the only person in the world who abhors Quitely's artwork?

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Flawless writing? I thought it was terrible. Not because of the changes...but because there was no flow to the stories, the dialogue was forced and unnecessarily odd("liquid time...it's all over me.....bwaaaaaaaa"). Grant was clearly recycling ideas from his days on Doom Patrol, which isn't like him at all.

The art changes also added to the chaos. Kordey's crap was like poison to my delicate eyes.

It was simply a miserable venture, on all parts. Morrison had a few good storylines(E is for Extinction, Riot at Xaviers) on his X-run, but I thought they were all with Quietly. For whatever reason, they clicked together, but were very poor when seperated.

I have to disagree. I think it flows great, besides the Weapon Plus arc. Just everything goes naturally and seems logical.

Oh yeah... props to Morrison for being one of the only people to make a good story in Marvel's "silent month".

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Am I the only person in the world who abhors Quitely's artwork?

I don't really no what to think of his work. On one hand, all I see are ugly prunes, but on the other I see detailed, fluid art. It's hard to decide for me on Quitely.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I find his art tolerably. At least its east to follow.

now known as rex
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quitely's a great storyteller, although I truly do dislike his style of anatomy -- ita ugly folks with great flow...

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I love Quitely's artwork because it's unique. He's not trying to be Jim Lee or Silvestri, he has his own style. And it's not sloppy either. Morrison's stories were best when Quitely was the artist. Kordy's fill ins were horrible, especially after following van Sciver and Quitely, and the only thing keeping me on the book was Morrisons writing. I also didn't like Bachalo on the book. I never did understand people's draw to his style, but then most people say the same thing about F.Q. too.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quitely's artwork reminds me of Frank Miller.

Quote:

Oh yeah... props to Morrison for being one of the only people to make a good story in Marvel's "silent month".

I agree with that. I quite liked that story.

But otherwise... the first tpb was good. The second one left me flat.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Love Quitely.

Loved Morrison's NXM. I enjoyed every storyarc with the exception of the WEAPON X one.

Miss him already.

We all wear a green carnation.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I also liked the "Nuff Said" issue. As I said, Morrison usually did strong work with Quietly, for whatever reason.

There was one aspect of Morrison's other arcs that I liked. I thought it was interesting how he brought counter-culture attitudes into the X-world, making mutanthood a hip trendy kind of thing(prompting new threats). The whole "everyone hates us" angle had been long overdone. It was fitting(if not groundbreaking) for the civil-rights movement era of the '60's, but it had reached it's limit in terms of producing good storylines.

Unfortunately, Morrison really got away from all that later on with the Weapon X stuff. Infact, nearly everything he had established early on as an interesting plot twist was lost by the time he moved on, proving once again that Marvel simply isn't in the market for change. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but Xorn's revealed identity was a huge setback, and strongly exemplifies what I'm talking about.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
from what I understand, Morrison had planned for Xorn to be him from the very beginning. And it appears that Marvels going back to having everyone hate mutants again instead of sticking to what Grant laid down.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I read the first 2 storyarcs and they were better than most everything post Uncanny 225 or so. I'll read the rest when the 3rd hardcover comes out.

My main nagging point about morrison's X-Men is that it was all hype and promise and no follow through for teh most part. I think Marvel management had something to do with that though. I think his exodus from Marvel in a bad way is evidence of that.

That said I read the newest Uncanny and I feel obligated to say that a refreshed Claremont writes a great X-Men story. the only thing he writes well anymore is the X-Men. Not teh best read in the world, but it certainly was the X-men.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
well he wrote it for 17 years. the only thing he knows is X-men.

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
If you go back and look at all of Xorn's scenes... it does make sense.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

woodstock said:
If you go back and look at all of Xorn's scenes... it does make sense.

You'll have to explain that one to me.

"Xorn" went through all the trouble of setting up a fake Chinese prison and false backstory, just to infiltrate the X-Men and sabotage their plans?

If Morrison did plan to have it be that way since the beginning....then, sorry to say it, but that's just lame. He can do better.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As if Magneto would let himself be almost BBQd by a member of the Shiar Praetorian Guard. He would have ripped into G-Type before you can say, "I just farted an electromagnetic pulse".

I suspect Morrison realised halfway through that he would have to do something with Mags, and Xorn presented him with an opportunity.

Pimping my site, again.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I love Morrison's writing on New X-Men. Love the characters, the stories hold up well, for the most part... he threw in some cool ideas and made most of them work.

The rotating artists pissed me off to no end, though. I would have been happy had they just waited for Quitely to do his thing and released the issues when they were done, a la The Ultimates. I suppose that doesn't really work with a company's flagship title, though.

I love Quitely's art. I like Van Sciver and Jiminez well enough. But had any one of those artists been the standard penciller for the entire run, it would have made for a fantastic book, and one of my favourite superhero works in years. As it stands, the book is merely okay.

Kordey's work on the book didn't appeal to me, however. Wouldn't have wanted him for the whole run.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
As if Magneto would let himself be almost BBQd by a member of the Shiar Praetorian Guard. He would have ripped into G-Type before you can say, "I just farted an electromagnetic pulse".

I suspect Morrison realised halfway through that he would have to do something with Mags, and Xorn presented him with an opportunity.

I think it woulda been better if Mags stayed dead, and they had Xorn be the new X-bad guy.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:

That said I read the newest Uncanny and I feel obligated to say that a refreshed Claremont writes a great X-Men story. the only thing he writes well anymore is the X-Men. Not teh best read in the world, but it certainly was the X-men.

I find Claremont's stuff mostly rubbish lately. His JLA arc is embarrassing. His X-stuff is so Storm-centric and rife with purple prose that it, again, is embarrassing.

We all wear a green carnation.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
They should have let John Byrne write the JLA arc. It's his plot mostly and some of the dialogue destroys what could have been a pretty good story IMO.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

Dave said:

I think it woulda been better if Mags stayed dead, and they had Xorn be the new X-bad guy.

Magneto's "death" was a little underdone to be permanent: a giant Sentinel fist powered by jet engines smashes through his tower. If Magneto is to kark it, it will be done with a lot more glory, in a double page spread, and on an anniversary issue.

Pimping my site, again.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

Dave said:

Magneto's "death" was a little underdone to be permanent: a giant Sentinel fist powered by jet engines smashes through his tower. If Magneto is to kark it, it will be done with a lot more glory, in a double page spread, and on an anniversary issue.

that's what I liked about it: it was so unexpected. I didn't expect Marvel to leave him dead, but I didn't expect Morrison to bring him back either.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Bah. If Mags is going to buy the farm, he'll do it in spectacular glory just so we al know they're serious.

And then, of course, they'd still bring him back.

Pimping my site, again.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

Danny said:Kordey's work on the book didn't appeal to me, however. Wouldn't have wanted him for the whole run.

Problem with Kordey's work is that he was called on short notice to pencil a book that came out what felt like 5 times a month. His art was so sloppy that he actually publically apologized for it.

I was looking at his art in an issue of X-Treme X-Shite, and it actually looked pretty good... none of the messiness of his New X-Men art.

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Unfortunately, the writing was shit on the book that Kordey actually had good art on.

Now that Marvel has so rudely and publicly axed Kordey from the company, I hope he finds a home at DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm.

Last edited by woodstock; 2004-05-16 6:27 AM.
100+ posts
100+ posts
I think Kordey's art style would fit better in the Vertigo universe. I never thought his style was a good fit for super-hero books, so unless it's a non-superpower book I hope he doesn't go to Wildstorm.

I'm Chris Oakley from 40 years in the future!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Wouldn't you know if he's gonna go to Wildstorm, future boy?

100+ posts
100+ posts
YES I KNOW BUT I WANT PEOPLE TO PETITION FOR KORDEY TO NOT GO TO WILDSTORM, THATS WHY I'M PLANTING THE SEEDS OF DOUBT AT ROBS BOARD BECAUSE I FIGURE IF 6 GUYS COULD MAKE ALL THESE DIFFERENT ALT ID'S AND KEEP THEM UP FOR SO LONG THEN THEY COULD PETITION WITH LIKE A MILLION NAMES OR SOMETHING WITH NO PROBLEM!

I'm Chris Oakley from 40 years in the future!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
WOO!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Quote:

Disco Steve said:
Quote:

Problem with Kordey's work is that he was called on short notice to pencil a book that came out what felt like 5 times a month. His art was so sloppy that he actually publically apologized for it.

I was looking at his art in an issue of X-Treme X-Shite, and it actually looked pretty good... none of the messiness of his New X-Men art.

Unfortunate. They (as in both artist and company) put out work that they new was sub-standard to keep sales up. Not a great business plan. Especially with your most popular characters and arguably your hottest writer.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Very true. The decision to release it twelve times a month didn't really help things. Can't expect Quitely to work THAT quickly.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Where did I read that he'd actually drawn a few issues in advance?

Pimping my site, again.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
he did. I think it was the Riot at Xaviers storyline cuz he actually drew the whole arc and it came out on time.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I didn't like Quitely's art in "Riot at Xavier's." Seemed unlike his usual art.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
That may have been the digital inking style.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
That sickens me.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Just breathe, Disco... breathe.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I'll try.

Link Copied to Clipboard