Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
E3 2006: Twilight Princess In-Depth
We play through the entire demo and break down the details.
by Peer Schneider

May 10, 2006 - First there was one, now there are two. Nintendo announced yesterday that it would release two different versions of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- one for GameCube, as previously shown, and one for Nintendo Wii. Shown at numerous demo kiosks in Nintendo's booth, we were able to go hands-on with the title this morning. Does the Zelda formula work with Wii's new controllers? Or will long-time fans be disappointed with the changes? We sent one such long-time fan, self-professed Zelda nut Peer Schneider to go in-depth with the title. Here are his impressions:

Let's cut to the chase: yes, it sure works. When I initially heard that Nintendo was adding Wii controller support to my most anticipated videogame, I was worried. After all, Zelda titles aren't really about pointing and clicking and more about fighting and puzzle solving. I had a feeling sword-slashing freehand controls would feel gimmicky in a third-person game and ultimately be far less accurate than the traditional lock-on/button control. In hindsight, I should have had more faith in Nintendo's Zelda team. The developer smartly integrated Wii pointer and nunchuck control to deliver something that not only works, but feels fresh.

Remember playing Majora's Mask back on the N64? Despite the novel three-day setup, some players found that it felt a bit too similar to The Ocarina of Time and thus simply wasn't as exciting and fresh. I have a feeling Twilight Princess might have turned out the same way. It's a gorgeous game filled with great puzzles and characters -- and apparently it's a longer and more involved quest than any Zelda game before it -- but it's firmly rooted in the TOoT-style of gameplay. Well, not anymore. The changes the control setup in the Wii version adds to the game profoundly impact the game's feel. Fishing feels new. Blocking feels new. Shooting arrows feels new. Even the spin attack has a new twist to it. So even though you may encounter a familiar looking puzzle, the new control dynamics give everything a fresh coat of paint. Yes, you can get excited now.

read more

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Link Is All Right
by Mark Bozon

Of course we all saw it coming when Nintendo announced its intention for Wii-mote sword fighting in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but it's now absolutely official: Link is a righty.

In a video shown just minutes ago in Japan, the Hyrulian hero himself was previewed battling bosses, navigating the countryside, and exploring vast dungeons in his new "anti-southpaw" stance. Though there is no official breakdown of how sword control works as of yet, Link can be seen performing multiple sword swipes and varying angles, showing off what seems to be a new fully-immersive fighting style for Wii players.

We'll have more on Link's right-handedness when we go hands-on with the game tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Oh and Link: Welcome to the right side.

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Fucking anti left handed assholes.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it makes more sense, i guess.

at e3, before the sword control was that close to 1:1, it was certainly a little disappointing slashing with the nunchuck attachment, when the grip and feel of the remote is much more ...uh... swordly.

no. no gay jokes there.

giant picture
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Buy me one.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Zelda delayed on GameCube

Twilight Princess won't release alongside Wii version as planned; game now set for December 11 release.
    By Tim Surette, GameSpot
    Posted Sep 14, 2006 12:13 pm PT

Today was a good day for Wii news. There was an abundance of information on the system's release date, price, and launch games, and the Wii's multimedia functions were revealed and displayed in video form on Nintendo's Web site.

While future Wii owners celebrated en masse, the GameCube faithful hung their heads. The most anticipated game for the current-generation console, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, has once again been delayed.

Thankfully, the postponement won't be as torturous as last year's lengthy delay and will instead be limited to just a few weeks. Originally planned to launch alongside the Wii version of the game with the next-gen console's launch, Twilight Princess for the GameCube is now slated for a December 11 release.

Nintendo did not mention a reason for the game's delay, but the timing is a bit odd. The GameCube version was announced in 2004, but the Wii version was revealed long after the current-gen version had already been in development. Though logic would presume that the GameCube version would be finished well ahead of the next-gen version, this simply doesn't appear to be the case.

A fairly polished version of the GameCube version was on display at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2005 and drew hours-long lines from hordes of Zelda fans. At this year's E3, however, the GameCube version didn't even make the trip to Los Angeles, and the hours-long lines at Nintendo's booth were for the Wii and its roster of games, which included the next-gen version of Twilight Princess.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
new trailer:

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
title intro:

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
aaaaaaaaaaaaand i just beat the fucker. 62 gameplay hours for me, though i'm pretty sure a good chunk of that is from accidentally leaving it on over night. but still, i know i missed a few side-quests that i might go back for, so even with teh sleep incident, thats pretty ginormous.

but by gawd, t'was a pretty, pretty game.

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm like 30 hours into the game. Enjoying it a lot, though the bosses so far have been kinda boring. Only the one in the desert was kinda cool, but even that one was easy.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
yeah i heard that the easy bosses were one knock on the game...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
there's a lot of great art and style and a lot of creativity in the main bosses, but thats an excellent point -- they are easier than they should be. i wouldn't call that much of a knock to the game, though, at least in my vantage.

the final boss battle of the game was amazing and challenging.

really my one and only critique on the game, which i'd otherwise dub simply friggin amazing was the ending, post-final battle. without spoiling anything, i'll just say that i found hugely lacking -- to the point where i'd dock points from the game (which i otherwise felt was damn near perfect) because of how anti-climatic the payoff was.

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That was like the coolest final boss ever. I liked the next to last one too (if only because it was neat looking and creative), but I woulda been disappointed if it turned out to be the last.

What was so different from the other endings, Rob? You did stick till the end of the credits, right?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
yessir, i saw it through. i just honestly felt it to be very lame. for a game that took me 60 some-odd hours to beat (over the course of months), and a zelda game larger in scope than every other already-amazingly-large zelda game, i was really hoping for some dramaticy, kick assy ending. or at least something that lasted a few minutes.

outside of the credit scroll sequences, the ending was maybe two mintues long. and anti climatic.

Warning, Spoiler:
just incase.

the standard-setting zelda game of late is the n64 OOT game. in that ending, you got this whole amazing story about how zelda and link have decided to reset time and how the master sword must return to slumber and how gannon's actions cause ripples through out history, etc, etc.

hell, gannon, after losing in one of the absolute greatest boss battles ever, didn't even really die. he was stabbed and kneeled and ... didn't fall. or explode. or light on fire or write to hell or anything.

at the end of this game, link and zelda... sorta walk around. then they take midna to the mirror. she breaks it and, yoink, she's gone.

there's no story set up, no "hey, thanks for saving the universe" moments for link, no dramatic story unfolding... they didn't even dramatically replace the master sword.

i just felt a little cheated. with such a HUGE build up and the game being so amazing, even up to and through the final boss, the ending sequence woefully undercut the rest of it, for me.

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I think they just took what could have been a long ending sequence and merged it with the credits. Still wouldn't have been as cool as the one in OOT, though.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard