Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Wow, two long-running sitcoms ending within a week of each other. "Friends" may get all the attention, but "Frasier" is the show that deserves it.

The finales of each mirrored the relationship between both shows. Friends has been a cultural phenom, while Frasier has stood quietly in the background, quietly racking up its Emmys to become, technically, the greatest sitcom of all time. To be fair, Frasier was almost up there with Friends in its earlier seasons.

And things were good for awhile. Admittedly, both shows haven't been very good at all for the last few seasons. But I think Frasier redeemed itself tonight. It was an incredible episode that actually had character development and plot movement, with no left-field twists that Friends relied on. I actually have never been a big fan of Frasier, only seen a handful of episodes, so it surprised me that I was broken up in the last moments of the finale. Frasier's final monologue, his final Seattle broadcast, was just very touching. I don't know if I can properly explain it.

The ending was nice as well... the entire episode, we've been led to believe that Frasier is flying to San Francisco to take a new job. So in the last scene, as his airplane touches down, it comes over the intercoms that they've landed in Chicago. Frasier's going to be with his girl. Very nice.

What I admired most about this finale is that they didn't sacrifice the show's integrity. The show actually warranted an hour long episode, whereas Friends could have done theirs in 22 minutes. I might be ragging on Friends too much, but I'm calling it as I see it.

So, yeah. Great ending to a landmark show. Predictable sure, but fitting.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I thought Frasier finale was better too. It was funny & didn't get bogged down in "special" moments. The seasons that Niles & Daphne got together were awful! I think next season all I have left to watch is Gilmore Girls & Survivor.

Fair play!
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
One of the smarter comedies ever produced, along the lines of Taxi and Cheers.

You know, when you think about it, Kelsey Grammar has it made. He's gonna make residuals from sydication off of TWO successful TV series. Not many actors can claim that.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I forgot the actor's name, but only one other actor played the same character for 20 years straight. As I did with Friends, I taped the finale, but have yet to watch it. Although my tape ran out during the last 10 minutes, or so, so I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the reruns.

I too thought the Friends finale could have been skimmed down a bit. It was good, but at the same time a bit much.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
The other actor was James Arness who played Marshal Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke.

I always loved Frasier. Sadly, I also think the plot fell off after Niles got married, but it was still one of the funniest shows on TV at the time. I'd take an episode of Frasier over an episode of Friends any day.

At least I've still got 24, the CSI's, and cartoons.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
That's his name! I stopped watching sitcoms a couple years ago, if not more, just got tired of what was out. The only one I watch now is Reba, but Frasier was one that I did watch for years. I think I stopped watching it before Niles and Dafney got married.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
The only two sitcoms I watch now are Scrubs and Arrested Development. (Here's hoping the latter is renewed, we find out this week)

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Seasons 1 and 2 of Frasier are now on DVD...

I think the best moment is when Frasier and Niles and Daphne are in the kitchen of Frasiers' and Niles' new restaurant. Love how Niles tried to kill the eels in the tank and Daphne just reached for one and whacked it on the table to kill it. Then Roz comes in her hair all smoking after it caught fire after trying to light it for a Cherries Jubilee dessert!

Funniest moment of the whole series...

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Anybody remember the Cheers episode where Fraiser's mother appeared and threaten to murder Dianne if she married Fraiser? I always wondered if She was considered Fraiser's Mother on his show or if she was conviently written out of continuity. Anyway another damn fine show bites the dust.

-----once over and twice twisted---------
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

LLance said:
Anybody remember the Cheers episode where Fraiser's mother appeared and threaten to murder Dianne if she married Fraiser? I always wondered if She was considered Fraiser's Mother on his show or if she was conviently written out of continuity. Anyway another damn fine show bites the dust.

If I recall correctly, they did a show where all the women he loved were talking to him in some type of dream sequence. Towards the end his mother appears & I seem to remember that the whole threatening to kill Diane is acknowledged.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard