Next Thread
Print Thread
#319081 2004-07-23 5:40 AM
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
This is far different than the "Biggest WTF" thread. Think of this almost as an informal survey of what comics, stories and concepts for comics you thought were the worst ideas ever.

5) Identity Crisis. Metzler's not content with the rape and horrific murder of a symbol of Silver Age innocence (Sue Dibny); he seems hell-bent on destroying the innocence of the Silver Age itself. Sue's finally being pregnant with Ralph's baby made her murder especially horrific to me.

4) The Outsiders. Too much violence, too much foul language, not enough plot, and that lame excuse Winnick and Raney gave for exchanging Captain Marvel Junior's red cape for the white and gold towel that's currently hanging off his shoulders.

(A side note: I may know enough profanity to make sailors and construction workers blush, but when I write, I don't let the characters I write say anything worse than "aw, crap" or "okay, NOW I'm PISSED!!".)

3) Hal Jordan's imminent return as Green Lantern. Sorry, but this just smacks of a writer (Geoff Johns) pandering to the whims of a small group of drooling fanboys, including Alex Ross.

2) (tie) SHAZAM!: The New Beginning and The Power of SHAZAM!. Although I did one thing about this mini (Uncle Dudley actually being related to Billy), New Beginning was (dare I say it?) far too dark and depressing for my tastes.

Power of SHAZAM! had way too many "creep-out" factors for me to enjoy it, especially Billy's child brain being in an adult skin (too much like PRIME), the child Mary Batson / adult "Lady Cap" and the implied mystical "incest" between the World's Mightiest Siblings to "give birth" to Junior.

1) JSA. See Outsiders for most of my reasons, then top it off with Geoff Johns changing Captain Marvel from the World's Mightiest Mortal into the World's Mightiest Accused Pedophile, all the while his "accusors" (Jay and Alan) don't give Nuklon's (I will NEVER call him "Atom Smasher". It spits on the memory of Al Pratt) former attentions to SSK / Courtney Whitmore (which were of a creepier, more "serious" vein than Cap's, imo) a second thought because he's "family".

That's my list. Feel perfectly free to disagree with it OR add to it.

Last edited by ShazamGrrl1; 2004-07-23 8:23 AM.
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I disagree with #5, #3, and #1, but I'd agree with the others.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
...you're pissed off about the colour of a cape?

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I definitely agree with three. Y'know, if H.E.A.T. had put as much time, effort, and money in supporting cancer research as they did SUPPORTING A FICTIONAL CHARACTER, we'd have a cure by now.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Me? No, I just agree that the new Outsiders series in general is crap. The colour of a cape doesn't really make a difference to me.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The recent David Mack run on Daredievil.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Make that "runs" and I'd agree with you. I can't believe how many times I had to re-read the same artsy-fartsy poetic crap in almost every issue he did.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Personally, I think it's a tie between Kyle Baker's Plastic Man (he DOES realize that there's such a thing as too silly, right?) and the new Firestorm (bring back Ronnie!!!)

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
No, I just agree that the new Outsiders series in general is crap.

I think that really should read 'Judd Winnick' instead of 'the new Outsiders series'...

Just a suggestion...

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

You mean you find Jay and Alan questioning Captain Marvel (or should I call him "Billy Batson, Superteen"?) on his "intentions" towards Courtney (which were more innocent than some I could name) while ignoring Nuklon's lust-filled gazes at her perfectly acceptable?

Color me surprised... not.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Make that "runs" and I'd agree with you. I can't believe how many times I had to re-read the same artsy-fartsy poetic crap in almost every issue he did.

Now that I think about it, his first run wasn't that good. I bought it in trade form where it didn't bother me that much. I'm sure that if I read it in monthly installments I would have disliked it.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

You mean you find Jay and Alan questioning Captain Marvel (or should I call him "Billy Batson, Superteen"?) on his "intentions" towards Courtney (which were more innocent than some I could name) while ignoring Nuklon's lust-filled gazes at her perfectly acceptable?

Color me surprised... not.

It's okay. You can admit your love for The Geoff. We're here for you. Free yourself.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
5) Identity Crisis. Metzler's not content with the rape and horrific murder of a symbol of Silver Age innocence (Sue Dibny); he seems hell-bent on destroying the innocence of the Silver Age itself. Sue's finally being pregnant with Ralph's baby made her murder especially horrific to me.

I like Identity Crisis and what it's doing. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the Silver Age. To gimmick ridden overall for me. I'll admit that great ideas and stories came from then, but I'm not a fan of the whole atmosphere of the industry back then. And the fact the Metzler made me care about Ralph and Sue is a testament to his skills as a writer. Her murder being horrific was the whole point.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:4) The Outsiders. Too much violence, too much foul language, not enough plot, and that lame excuse Winnick and Raney gave for exchanging Captain Marvel Junior's red cape for the white and gold towel that's currently hanging off his shoulders.

(A side note: I may know enough profanity to make sailors and construction workers blush, but when I write, I don't let the characters I write say anything worse than "aw, crap" or "okay, NOW I'm PISSED!!".)

I'll replace this one with just allowing Judd Winnick to write comic books period. He sucks hairy donkey balls. I couldn't care less about Marv. Jr.'s cape. It's a fucking cape. Nor do I care about language, as long as it is done with a purpose and not simply because it can be done.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
3) Hal Jordan's imminent return as Green Lantern. Sorry, but this just smacks of a writer (Geoff Johns) pandering to the whims of a small group of drooling fanboys, including Alex Ross.

I think this is more of DC pandering to the whims of the fans and not Johns. If it's going to be done, I'd rather he do it. Besides, I have yet to see him say that Hal is coming back as a Green Lantern. I'll just wait for this one to come out before passing judgement.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
2) (tie) SHAZAM!: The New Beginning and The Power of SHAZAM!. Although I did one thing about this mini (Uncle Dudley actually being related to Billy), New Beginning was (dare I say it?) far too dark and depressing for my tastes.

Power of SHAZAM! had way too many "creep-out" factors for me to enjoy it, especially Billy's child brain being in an adult skin (too much like PRIME), the child Mary Batson / adult "Lady Cap" and the implied mystical "incest" between the World's Mightiest Siblings to "give birth" to Junior.

Haven't read it. Can't comment.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
1) JSA. See Outsiders for most of my reasons, then top it off with Geoff Johns changing Captain Marvel from the World's Mightiest Mortal into the World's Mightiest Accused Pedophile, all the while his "accusors" (Jay and Alan) don't give Nuklon's (I will NEVER call him "Atom Smasher". It spits on the memory of Al Pratt) former attentions to SSK / Courtney Whitmore (which were of a creepier, more "serious" vein than Cap's, imo) a second thought because he's "family".

I think Jay and Alan were more concerned with the fact that Courtney was returning Cap.'s looks. A guy equated with Superman is going to get a few more critical stares when scoping out an underaged girl.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
200+ posts
200+ posts
No offense Grrl1, but none of the titles you listed can compare to the crappiness of stinkseries like Cloak & Dagger, Wild Dog or US1. Seems you have some more or less gripes about some of the finer aspects of the books you mentioned.
thedoctor sums up my feelings about IC pretty well and so far JSA is moving along pretty nice.
The Return of Hal, well, let's wait til its out before passing judgement.
As for outsiders, I have never bought a Winick book, took the chance to jump off Green Arrow when he came aboard. Judging from the comments here, this was a good decision!
I never read Shazam except for the Starman crossover, so I have no opinion here.

Think clean thoughts, chum. -The Batman
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
The only thing of Winick's I've really cared for was Exiles, which I started reading in the trades a few months back. Don't really care for anything else he's done.

ID Crisis is one the best things DC's done of late. Meltzer's not pissing on the Silver Age, he's adding layers of depth to it. Something it badly needs.

As far as Atom Smasher scoping Courtney out. Guess what? Didn't happen. It was the other way round. So take that baldfaced lie and shove it somewhere.

Apologies for being short, but I've been awake since last night and dealing with a broken air conditioner almost since I got off work and I'm in no mood for blatant crap like that. You don't like Johns. Fine, we get it. Get over it and move on with your life.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
that dude's PISSED!

ShazamGrrl1, since Captain Marvel is my fave DC character I have to ask if there is anything you DO like that's been done with the character lately, since you obviously have a lot of things you don't like (4 out of 5). Also, is there anything you would like to see done with the characters of Shazam in the future?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
More tired and annoyed.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
well, in that case, i'd hate to see you ever actually get pissed.

not a shot against ya, but i think this is the first time i've ever seen you like this. either that, or my memory's failing me again.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I've had maybe twenty minutes of sleep. . .

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
if it makes you feel any better, i got into a car accident this morning, my watch stopped, and a girl actually had the audacity to tell me she was busy saturday. but hey, no work tomorrow.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
at least you've got your health.

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
that dude's PISSED!

ShazamGrrl1, since Captain Marvel is my fave DC character I have to ask if there is anything you DO like that's been done with the character lately, since you obviously have a lot of things you don't like (4 out of 5).

Honestly... no, I haven't liked anything DC's done to the Marvel Family or the other Fawcett characters since Crisis.

Quote:

Also, is there anything you would like to see done with the characters of Shazam in the future?

I love all the Fawcett characters, so I'd love to write stories for them myself, but DC probably wouldn't go for it because, story-wise at least, what I have in mind is something that they'd probably consider "too radical".

I'd gear them towards all readers, including kids.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Last edited by Wednesday; 2004-07-24 3:37 PM.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
ShazamGrrl1 said:

I love all the Fawcett characters, so I'd love to write stories for them myself, but DC probably wouldn't go for it because, story-wise at least, what I have in mind is something that they'd probably consider "too radical".

I'd gear them towards all readers, including kids.

Wow, that is radical !

This review by Michael Medved of the recent CAPTAIN AMERICA series captures well my own opinion:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-medved040403.asp

Plenty of comics present anti-American views, but I find dragging an iconic symbol of American patriotism through the mud, and giving him a weak ability to articulate any defense of U.S. actions a little much.

~

Regarding Captain Marvel portrayals, post-CRISIS, one I really enjoyed was his part in the early issues of JUSTICE LEAGUE/JLI.

And the same with Mary Marvel in the more recent FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE series.

I like that these characters are able to retain their sincere and optimistic "Holy Moley" / "Gee Whiz" quality, despite the cynicism around them.
\:p

--------------------

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Dave the Wonder Boy said:
This review by Micheal Medved of the recent CAPTAIN AMERICA series captures well my own opinion:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-medved040403.asp

Plenty of comics present anti-American views, but I find dragging an iconic symbol of American patriotism through the mud, and giving him a weak ability to defend U.S. actions a little much.

That's why I'm pleased by this line from Ed Brubaker discussing his new stint writing Cap on Newsarama...

Quote:

"I'm honestly not looking to do a lot of politically-oriented stories in the book, because it is a super-hero comic, after all, but I also don't think writers should really push their own political agenda within their work for the most part. It's an argument I have with other writers all the time and I know Diego Rivera said that all art is political, but I feel that as a writer you're supposed to be objective. You write the characters. You don't write your words into their mouths, you write their words into their mouths. And I would never want to pick up a comic book like Captain America and expect to read a liberal rant, at least, not coming out of the mouth of a guy who's spent his entire adult life in the military."

Last edited by The Indestructible Man; 2004-07-25 3:14 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard