This article is old, but my mom showed me a snipit from Fox News that she taped this past Sunday Morning on this very subject.

Most of the articles I've seen online list certain medications that you shouldn't take, but the doctor on the segment suggested that if you take any kind of pill for any reason that you should stay away from grapefruit and grapefruit juice (even taking a pill at night when you had grapefruit that morning is too soon) until you talk to your doctor.

It's definately an interesting read and something everyone might want to take a look at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grapefruit juice may react with medications, study finds

September 12, 2000
Web posted at: 11:33 AM EDT (1533 GMT)

ROCHESTER, Minnesota (Reuters) -- Drinking grapefruit juice to wash down some prescription medicines may be dangerous because the juice can raise blood concentrations of the drug beyond what the dosage calls for, researchers said on Tuesday.

Unlike other citrus juices, grapefruit juice inhibits one of the body's intestinal enzyme systems and can result in marked increases in serum levels of some prescription drugs, such as those to treat heart disease and control blood pressure.

Interactions between grapefruit juice and certain drugs -- which has been known but not extensively studied -- is particularly worrisome for the elderly who are more likely to take medications and may be inclined to drink calcium-fortified grapefruit juice, Mayo Clinic researchers Garvan Kane and James Lipsky wrote in this month's issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

Although some drugs are given with others to enhance their effects, grapefruit juice should not be used for this purpose because its impact can be unpredictable and potentially dangerous, they wrote.

Grapefruit juice does not pose a problem for those receiving medication intravenously, the report said.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006