Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Have you ever posted something on one group or MB, then find that someone other than yourself has reposted them on yet another forum with the original meaning blown completely out of all proportion?

Or find out that someone has posted what are, essencially, your own words, but this other poster has "cleverly rewritten" it to echo this other posters skewed POV?

That's what I mean by post pirating. I know, because it's happened to me on serveral occassions, including this very morning.

A thread, posted today on the DCMBs, copied a POV post I wrote for the Marvels of SHAZAM! Group at Yahoo (which I happen to be the founder of) nearly verbatim, and the last line of the other post were exactly as I posted them last night. Here's the original post, as it appeared on the Marvels of SHAZAM! Group (don't worry; no one from this venue is referred to):

Quote:

Date: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:13 am
Subject: One SHAZAM! Fangirl’s Rant

What's with all the hatred towards the Marvel Family?

I really want to know, because personally, I can’t understand it.

Why do some message board trolls feel its necesssary to scream that characters like Mary and Junior are "redundant", or call characters like Uncle Dudley, Hoppy and Mr. Tawny (or just insert any character that made the GA version unique) "stupid" or accuse them (instead of bad writing) of "Keeping Cap in the past"? And why do they seem to "think" the only way to make Cap "Kewl!" in the new millenium is to get rid of Mary, Junior, whomever, or change them beyond all recognition?

Anyone remember Roy Thomas’ version of SHAZAM!, with his recons of "Spike" Mary the blackmailer and almost hooker, or Junior the Kid Marvelman wannabe? Gods, I wish I didn’t. That debacle was a train wreck waiting to happen.

Don’t get me started on my feelings about the lameoid name changes Mary and Junior have suffered through in the past few years. And please, DO NOT mention "CM3", or why some want to change the (presumably) lame name of Mary Marvel (which seems to have served her very well beforehand) to the even lamer (IMO) one of "Lady Marvel", or why it was necessary to change Mary from a hero in her own right (Fawcett / Pre-Crisis Mary) to DC’s version of the "original" Ms. Marvel (current Mary) and stick Junior with the label of "lame-@$$ kid sidekick", just because his magic words are "Captain Marvel".

BTW, anytime I read a post by these selfsame "enlightened ones", I cringe, especially when they post about Hoppy or the Lieutenant Marvels. I'd love to post replies to these guys, pointing out that Hoppy was a one-shot deal, relegated to the cop-out of "it was only a dream", and that the Lieutenants don’t exist in the (KEH!) "mainstream" DC Universe.

Personally, I think these trolls (they know who they are, so I don’t need to point them out) must not be true Captain Marvel fans. Their claims that Cap's supporting cast keep him from being "kewl" is as wrong-headed as the accusations that the members & management of the Marvels of SHAZAM! are a bunch of "elitist snobs".

Just my two cents (and exercising of my right to Freedom of Speech).

And here's the link to the pirated version (Say what you will about me, but I will not indulge in pirating someone else's posts, no matter how provoked).

What are your views on this topic?

Last edited by ShazamGrrl1; 2004-08-19 2:14 PM.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Other than that last line, how the hell is this piracy? Looks more like a point by point response to your post than a copy of it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Other than that last line, how the hell is this piracy? Looks more like a point by point response to your post than a copy of it.

--------------------
"I'm gonna to buy a diamond and gem speedboat and paint it GOLD!" - Ronnie Dobbs - Run, Ronnie, Run

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You forgot the .

Fucking amatuer.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
to my knowledge, no post on the rkmbs has been taken from any other source. ever.

its all original content here.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Shut the fuck up, Donnie. You have no frame of referrence.

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
The thread I posted the link to is an example of the latter, Doc: a post (or, in this case, several posts) that have been copied and rewritten in such a way as to reflect the post pirate's skewed POV.

Add this asshole's posts to the fact that he badmouths anyone who won't kiss his ass (and that's a LOT of former DCMBers) and (with a "buddy" of his) has been trying to harrass me off the Internet for the past five years by joining groups and MBs that I'm a member of (Does the Rock of Eternity Forum ring any bells?) and reposting my posts and replies on "their" forums.

Seems pretty pathetic, iyam.

BTW, Doc, ONLY a member of the Marvels of SHAZAM! Group could have lifted my post and some of the responses to it, rewrote them to suit his own biased POV and reposted them elsewhere. I set up the group so that non-members can neither read nor copy topics and the replies to them.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
Does the Rock of Eternity Forum ring any bells?

No. Should it?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
if I ever had something like this happen to me (doubtful as it is), what I'd do is I'd copy the link from the post I made on the other mb and paste it on the offending mb. that is, if I gave a damn. which I probably wouldn't. but if I did that's what I'd do.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
You forgot the .

Fucking amatuer.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
The thread I posted the link to is an example of the latter, Doc: a post (or, in this case, several posts) that have been copied and rewritten in such a way as to reflect the post pirate's skewed POV.

No, you said it was nearly verbatim what you wrote. With the exception of the last line, it isn't. He hasn't skewed your words to fit his agenda; he's merely giving his point of view on issues that you raised in your original post.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
Add this asshole's posts to the fact that he badmouths anyone who won't kiss his ass

Don't you basically do the same thing in your post?

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
(and that's a LOT of former DCMBers) and (with a "buddy" of his) has been trying to harrass me off the Internet for the past five years by joining groups and MBs that I'm a member of (Does the Rock of Eternity Forum ring any bells?) and reposting my posts and replies on "their" forums.

No, I don't. Was it on the DC Boards? Because I never really went there. I didn't like a lot of the fans who would whine and complain about the very slightest of things.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

BTW, Doc, ONLY a member of the Marvels of SHAZAM! Group could have lifted my post and some of the responses to it, rewrote them to suit his own biased POV and reposted them elsewhere. I set up the group so that non-members can neither read nor copy topics and the replies to them.

I can't comment on that since I have no idea about what's going on between you and this guy. But if you're letting this get you so riled up like this, maybe you do need some away time from the internet because you're taking it way too seriously.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
But if you're letting this get you so riled up like this, maybe you do need some away time from the internet because you're taking it way too seriously.

Yes, she is...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

No, you said it was nearly verbatim what you wrote. With the exception of the last line, it isn't. He hasn't skewed your words to fit his agenda; he's merely giving his point of view on issues that you raised in your original post.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
Add this asshole's posts to the fact that he badmouths anyone who won't kiss his ass

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
(and that's a LOT of former DCMBers) and (with a "buddy" of his) has been trying to harrass me off the Internet for the past five years by joining groups and MBs that I'm a member of (Does the Rock of Eternity Forum ring any bells?) and reposting my posts and replies on "their" forums.

No, I don't. Was it on the DC Boards? Because I never really went there. I didn't like a lot of the fans who would whine and complain about the very slightest of things.

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

I can't comment on that since I have no idea about what's going on between you and this guy. But if you're letting this get you so riled up like this, maybe you do need some away time from the internet because you're taking it way too seriously.

Doc, stop pirating ShazamGrrl's post!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Prometheus thinks I'm sexy.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
But if you're letting this get you so riled up like this, maybe you do need some away time from the internet because you're taking it way too seriously.

For real.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Stop pirating my pirated posts, Mxy!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Stop pirating pirated posts that got pirated about pirating! arrrrrrr matey!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Arrggh! Ahoy, matey!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Look Mama (Mama's Mama? Mama-Mama??)!!! I'm a Pirate TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
You're all going to catch scurvy and die a horrendous death!

-----once over and twice twisted---------
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
to my knowledge, no post on the rkmbs has been taken from any other source. ever.

its all original content here.

Not counting whomod's lengthy cut and pastes from the L.A. Times.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why couldn't the boy pirate get to see the movie?

Cuz it was rated Arrrrrrr!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
A pirate walks into a bar with his steering wheel in his pants.
The bartender asks why the wheel is in his pants.
The pirate replies "its drivin me nuts".

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts

A friend of mine told the group of us that joke a few months ago and it's still funny!!!

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
A man is looking for a job and comes across an ad in the classified section for "Pirate, apply to Capt. Peg Leg at the docks, will train the right person."

The man finds Capt. Peg Leg who is every bit a pirate, patch over the eye, hook for a hand, parrot on his shoulder etc. The captain says he'll hire the man and begins to describe the job

"On Mondays we go out to sea, find a ship, loot the ship, come back into port ad get so drunk we throw up all over our selves. Sounds like a good job, don't it son?"

Stammering the man says "Actually Capt. I'm not much of a drinker, I don't know I would like that very much."

"Well, " responds the Capt. "Perhaps you will like what we do on a Tuesday just a little bit better then. We go out, find a ship, loot the ship, come back to port, get drunk, find women and rape every one we find! Sounds like a good job now, doesnt it son?"

The man again stammers his reply: "As I said I really dont drink, and I've never raped a woman and I don't think I would like that either."

The Capt looks at him with his one good eye ands asks, "You're not some sort of a faggot, are ye? Not a homersexual, are ye?"

"No, no I'm not," the man responds.

"Oh well," says Peg Leg, "You won't like what we do on Wednesdays either then."

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So thats how you came up with your name.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
*Zing!*

1500+ posts
1500+ posts

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Hoo-HAH!!!

HAW HAW HAW...YES!!! YOU, SIR, ARE CORRECT!!!

Uschi said:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hoo-HAH!!!

HAW HAW HAW...NO!!!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
that's the best i got.

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts

Uschi said:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
it should be enough that i tried !

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
it should be enough that i tried !

You posted that on Tuesday. Wait until today when you've had some nice homersexual booty and your creative juices will flow a bit more freely.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Snapman said:
homersexual

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard