Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Bianca Offline OP
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Check this out . . .

They've released images & descriptions of characters for the show . . .

The Joker is so horrible . . . **shudder**

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts

That's just... wrong.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Fuck... the only consolation I have is that I know Pariah will have a fit over this...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

Year Three was obviously a dark period in Alfred's life.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts

Alfred's got "attitude"...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Mayor Grange (Adam West)

Grange, the mayor of Gotham, is a close friend of the Wayne family. A shrewd politician, he nonetheless buys into the irresponsible bachelor image Bruce cultivates, creating some grief for the young billionaire.

This show is going to suck so badly.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
At another board I frequent, one artist did his own rendition of the characters from The Batman. His stuff can be found here. Personally, I think he did a MUCH better job than the "professionals."

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I find it funny how every supporting character is a minority. It's like they're screaming, "Look at us! Hey, aren't we hip? Aren't we diverse? Huh? Huh?"

Yet Batman, of course, is white. Just like all the villains.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Hooper X was right!

He fixes the cable?
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
And damn you, Jeff Matsuda! Your Joker is ass!

He fixes the cable?
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
I find it funny how every supporting character is a minority. It's like they're screaming, "Look at us! Hey, aren't we hip? Aren't we diverse? Huh? Huh?"

Yeah, nothing says "hip," "diverse" and "racially sensitive" like making the servant character black, like Bill "Bojangles" Robinson in some old Shirley Temple film.

I wonder if this Alfred tap dances, eats watermelon and sings scat too.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Fuck... the only consolation I have is that I know Pariah will have a fit over this...

I have the fits in my head now...

The most I can say now is:

Why the hell would they replace Montoya?

Why did they feel like making all the villians look like freakshows (I realize the irony)?

And why the fuck isn't Adam West still in Quahog?!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

Yeah, nothing says "hip," "diverse" and "racially sensitive" like making the servant character black, like Bill "Bojangles" Robinson in some old Shirley Temple film.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

Alfred looks Afghani to me. A tie to Ra's Al Ghul, perhaps?!?! OMFG!111!!!1

He fixes the cable?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree with Wednesday, BTW, the fan art designs he linked to are 100 times better.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I like his Joker a helluva lot better.

He fixes the cable?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I like Bolland's Joker a helluva lot better.

200+ posts
200+ posts
The designs and the character descriptions are equally horrible.

B:TAS will go down as the perfect animated show of a comic hero. As if it needed any help looking a million times better than this shit.

Last edited by Captain Cranky; 2004-08-23 7:44 PM.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I like Bolland's Joker a helluva lot better.

... Dude, Bolland's Joker can't be animated! That's crazy!

He fixes the cable?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You just leave that task to me....

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I predict this show will be the coolest Batman show EVER!

(joking!)

Catch you on the flip-side!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
man, this is a negative forum.

alright. just to be the guy who everyone hates ... again...

i don't find this stuff all that offensive. at all. ... and, if you'll recall, on top of being the guy everyone hates, i'm the guy who worships the original batman: the animated series. to me, the fox/wb cartoons of the previous decade represent the greatest batman representation of all time, from characters to storylines to music to design, etc. if it aint perfection, its pretty damn close.

so, already, i wasn't expecting to love this new cartoon. in fact, like most of you, i was expecting, specifically, to not like it. it simply wont compare to the previous incarnation, and every relation will be pale and weak.

but all that said, i try to look for the positives.

the batman design is pretty cool. the voice, from what i've heard, sounds pretty good.

as absurd and freaky as some of the varient costumes are, they're not hideous -- some are kinda cool. and i think it a logical step to, at least, include them in the cartoon (rather than just painting and packaging the toys).

the new joker look? i don't hate it at all! in fact... i think its kinduva cool take! he looks creepy and crazy and insane and evil. his hair is green, his skin is white, his lips are red (which they weren't, on the wb), and his coat is purplish. i'm sure he'll tell jokes. i'm sure he'll have an insane laugh. i'm sure he'll try to kill people and blow shit up. why there's such a huge issue with that, i don't know. to me, it seems like a pretty minor change.

making alfred black ... or latin... or tan... or whatever the fuck he is.... it doesn't bother me. i can't see how that will change his character, unless they make him the standard, black, jive-talkin cartoon stereotype. if he's geared a little more like, say, geoffrey from the 'fresh prince,' i don't see that as being all that different from any other alfred.

the animation looks pretty good. the background designs seem pretty good. the batman and batmobile toys i just got are pretty cool.

i can't see not liking this cartoon. .... granted, i haven't seen the cartoon, so its difficult to judge, but...

i think i'll like it.

giant picture
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I agree with Rob.

I'm not incredibly fond of The Joker (looks too hip-hop to me), but Mr. Freeze looks awesome.

And honestly, I don't think characters like Montoya have been around for Batman's entire history. Do the people you surround yourself with remain the same after a decade?

The venom directed towards this show (which none of us have seen yet) is clearly the result of some sort of a post-Paul Dini/Bruce Timm empty nest syndrome.

As for Alfred being a black man, consider the fact that he is voiced by a man named Alastair Duncan. Also, consider what Alastair Duncan looks like:

Last edited by thedoctor; 2004-08-26 3:07 AM.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This show will be the "Ultimate Batman" wannabuyamonkey has been warning us about.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
YOU will be the Ultimate Batman wannabuyamonkey was telling us about!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
REX HOW COULD YOU?!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Mxy, crawl out of Disco's ass.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
No, Mxy, stay up there.

Rex, FUCK OFF!

7500+ posts
7500+ posts

That is one pale black guy. He must be one o' them, y'know, mulattoes.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm not happy about the character designs, especially Mr. Freeze's; but the preview they gave earlier this year showed really good flowing action and fight scenes. I won't like it 100%, but I'm waiting for the show itself before passing judgement.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Oh, come on... pass judgment! Pass judgment!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Disco Steve said:

That is one pale black guy. He must be one o' them, y'know, mulattoes.

I wonder if the last design we saw (the Alfred with dark skin) wasn't a pre-production and at some point the suits at WB figured out that making a butler character black wasn't looking for trouble?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Or just bad shading and/or coloring.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
200+ posts
200+ posts
Well, I'm not expecting to hate the new show, exactly. It's just that I love the old show so much. I always hope for a superior Batman (or any DCU hero) show.

I'll be there, I'll check it out. I even like the Titans more now, and I thought that show sucked when it started.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Teen Titans is hit and miss. I don't like most of the stuff I've seen, and I'm not supposed to. It is a show for *gasp* kids; but on occasion they'll have some hard hitting episodes. I liked the one where Robin was blackmailed by Slade to work for him. A fight on the top of the WayneTech building was cool.

I saw one just yesterday where Starfire was shot 20 years into the future and met up with a disbanded and down on their luck Titans. Cyborg was stuck in the old, broken down Titan Tower facing the fact that he was obsolete and in such disrepair that he couldn't leave the tower. Raven was locked away in an asylum (as far as I could guess) in her white cloak. A balding and pudgy Beast Boy was in a circus with Mutant kids from Dark Knight Returns throwing food at him. And Robin was holed up in a clocktower under his new vigilante identity of Nightwing.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
the batman design is pretty cool. the voice, from what i've heard, sounds pretty good.

as absurd and freaky as some of the varient costumes are, they're not hideous -- some are kinda cool. and i think it a logical step to, at least, include them in the cartoon (rather than just painting and packaging the toys).

the new joker look? i don't hate it at all! in fact... i think its kinduva cool take! he looks creepy and crazy and insane and evil. his hair is green, his skin is white, his lips are red (which they weren't, on the wb), and his coat is purplish. i'm sure he'll tell jokes. i'm sure he'll have an insane laugh. i'm sure he'll try to kill people and blow shit up. why there's such a huge issue with that, i don't know. to me, it seems like a pretty minor change.

making alfred black ... or latin... or tan... or whatever the fuck he is.... it doesn't bother me. i can't see how that will change his character, unless they make him the standard, black, jive-talkin cartoon stereotype. if he's geared a little more like, say, geoffrey from the 'fresh prince,' i don't see that as being all that different from any other alfred.

the animation looks pretty good. the background designs seem pretty good. the batman and batmobile toys i just got are pretty cool.

At what point will you quit being a corporate puppet for your bosses at DC?

Alfred's black? Judging just from that original shot on the first page, I just thought he had, you know, a tan.

And, as for cooing "Oh, it's okay to like this show", let me ask: What's wrong with actually doing the show like the comic book? What's wrong with it that execs have to tweak and alter things?

I don't mind a new animation. I, for one, tired of Dini/Timm's stuff years ago. It all looks the same. But, what's wrong with actually putting sincere effort into making it a nice, clean, reasonable animated style, instead of "hip-hopping" it out, or, trying to make it "trendy"? Hasn't anyone in Hollywood learned that trends of the youth come and go faster than they can make shows or movies to milk it?

As I said in a previous thread, I expect Bruce to be a guitar playing, skateboard riding "cool" guy that "Says No to Drugs" in at least one "Very Special Episode Of..."

If you are going to alter or create an entirely new Batman show, aimed away from the comic itself, at least try to be original....instead of just following whatever your twelve-year-old son says is 'cool' at the moment. Or, if you're going to go that route, and want to invest in what kids really think is cool, then, Batman should be killing every opponent he encounters and then popping 'X' and hitting the rave scene....

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
This Poochy graphic needs to be posted on this page, too...

Quote:

The Time Trust said:

Catch you on the flip-side!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Possibly. However, in my admittedly limited experience, character shots like that are shaded or colored in what is supposed to be a character's "standard" look, for various design and/or licensing purposes. They dont allow a lot of experimentation in those.

Also, I seem to recall a lot of rumors a few years ago, that the powers behind the film were considering casting a black Alfred. in the film that this cartoon is being tied to. So I suspect the design we saw was from that period.

I also suspect that those same powers that be ran the "black Alfred" concept past the in house PC police and were told "no black butlers."

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

At what point will you quit being a corporate puppet for your bosses at DC?

They had him at hello.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

THANK YOU.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard