Page 1 of 2 1 2
#344864 2004-09-05 5:21 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3535588.stm

Daleks back to fight Doctor Who

The evil reputation of the Daleks has endured
Doctor Who's arch enemies the Daleks are coming back to the series after a lengthy dispute between the BBC and the creator's estate was finally settled.
The estate of sci-fi writer Terry Nation had originally blocked their return to the classic BBC One show.

But the BBC said an agreement had been reached ensuring that the Daleks - voted the most evil Doctor Who villains of all time - would be back.

Doctor Who returns to TV in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role.

"I am absolutely delighted that the Terry Nation estate and the BBC have been able to reach agreement on terms for the use of the Daleks in the new Doctor Who series," said Tim Hancock, agent for the Terry Nation estate.

"We look forward to working closely with the production team in the forthcoming months."

Control

Mr Nation was a prolific TV and film writer before his death in 1997, creating Blake's 7 and Survivors and writing for The Avengers and Hancock.

There have been protracted negotiations between the BBC and the estate since it was announced Doctor Who was coming back 14 years after it was axed.

These talks eventually broke down, with the BBC saying that no agreement could be reached over editorial control and that producers had already created another villain.

Terry Nation's estate accused the BBC of trying to "ruin the brand of the Daleks" by trying to wrestle control of the image.
William Hartnell was the first doctor to battle the daleks

But fans are thrilled the two sides have settled their differences.

"We are absolutely delighted that the daleks will be back," said Antony Wainer, spokesman for the Doctor Who Appreciation Society (DWAS).

"Doctor Who without daleks would be like Morecambe without Wise or Wimbledon without strawberries."

Although the society is enthusiastic about the daleks, it is also looking forward to the series moving on.

"As much as we like the Cybermen and other characters, we want them to create new baddies and new stories.

"As long as the premise is the same, with Doctor Who as a Time Lord who can regenerate, it can change. Beyond that central character it has been completely different over the years," added Mr Wainer.

The series, written by Russell T Davies for BBC Wales, will see former pop star Billie Piper take the role of the doctor's sidekick Rose Tyler

is this old news for you guys? I hadnt heard it during my holiday, in fact ROY and I discussed that we bet the family would eventually HAVE to settle!

too blessed to be stressed
THE Franta #344865 2004-09-05 7:21 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, I had read about it already. And, Grimm and thedoctor and I had been discussing the same thing you and ROY had. I knew, sooner or later, the "Estate" (READ: Money-hungry) would have to come to their senses. If they didn't release control, the series would move on anyway. This would cause negative feelings towards the Daleks and Terry Nations "Estate" from the fans, since they refused to allow the usage of the baddies. And, of course, it would put a dent in their profit.

The only real recourse, profit-wise, was to turn control over. "Ruin the brand of the Daleks"? Bah. The only thing this new series could do would IMPROVE the Daleks. As is, their about as threatening as a trashcan with a bad attitude.

What do you think of Eccleston and the "leather jacket" outfit, Franty?

Prometheus #344866 2004-09-05 7:24 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I aint to keen on the leather jacket....but a grimmer doc can work...as long as he aint packing heat!

THE Franta #344867 2004-09-05 7:26 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts

No more props for 'darker' Doctor

Eccleston is known for gritty acting roles
BBC News Online asks Doctor Who experts whether Christopher Eccleston will shine as the latest incarnation.
The surprise choice of Eccleston as the ninth Doctor has been widely hailed by fans and critics.

They say Eccleston is an accomplished, serious actor who will bring a gravitas to the 40-year-old role and make it relevant for the age we live in.

Enthusiasts think he may portray a darker character than many of the previous doctors, who were often quirky, offbeat and replete with props.

There was Tom Baker with his knitted scarf; Patrick Troughton's Beatle haircut; Sylvester McCoy's umbrella with the question mark-shaped handle...

Eccleston has gained a film acting pedigree
Antony Wainer, spokesman for the Doctor Who Appreciation Society, said there was nothing in Eccleston's casting to suggest a return to the novelties of past timelords.

"We are going to have to wait and see, but I think the velvet jacket and coats and gloves are a thing of the past," he said.

"Eccleston doesn't necessarily play eccentric characters and roles in the same way as a Sylvester McCoy.

"I think we will have a more serious-minded character, more reflective and inward-looking, slightly edgy and slightly dangerous with a menacing edge to him."

Boyd Hilton, TV editor of Heat magazine, agreed that Eccleston probably signalled an end to the "cheesier" aspects of the Doctor's past.

Eccleston will bring a touch of menace to the role, some fans believe
"I think it's quite exciting," said Mr Hilton. "He's one of the best actors of our time, and rather than going for a colourful character actor as they've done in the past, they've gone for a brilliant actor.

"Bill Nighy, who had been tipped for the role, would have been brilliant, but a slightly more comical figure. I think with Eccleston it shows they are clearly going for quality over anything else."

Salford-born Eccleston, 40, who trained at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, has starred in films such as Shallow Grave, The Others and Let Him Have It.

Mr Hilton said his character would be written by some of the best TV writers, led by executive producer Russell T Davies.

Eccleston's selection suggested a sizeable budget and high quality scripts, he said.

The Doctor Who Appreciation Society's Antony Wainer said he expected Eccleston to bring a new dimension to the part.

Eccleston will become the ninth Doctor Who
"Over 40 years every Doctor has brought something different to the role," he said.

"Doctor Who has reflected the cultural events of the time, and as time moves on the action fits the moment. New storylines are affected by what is going on.

"It's about the quality of the writing and the audience expectation, and things that just catch on."

Mr Wainer said it was difficult to single out any of the previous eight Doctors as being "better" than any other, although fans had their personal favourites.

"The first one you grew up with was always the best," he said.

"Colin Baker - once low down the list - is now highly thought of, while Sylvester McCoy has dipped. These things are reassessed and re-evaluated all the time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3557021.stm

Dont diss McCoy!!!

THE Franta #344868 2004-09-05 7:28 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Doctor Who actor wants 'emotion'

Christopher Eccleston will become the ninth Doctor Who
Actor Christopher Eccleston, who has been chosen to play the new Doctor Who, has said he wants the Time Lord to show more "feelings and emotions".
Eccleston, 40, told Doctor Who Magazine he wanted the show to move away from "spooky escapism".

The actor said he wanted to give the role "weight and ambiguity".

The new series of the veteran sci-fi show will be screened next year, and is being written by Queer as Folk writer Russell T Davies.

Doctor Who, originally played by William Hartnell, began in 1963. Seven actors played the doctor before the show was axed in 1989.

Eccleston, who made his name is shows such as Cracker and Our Friends in the North, said he had been influenced by the doctor's second incarnation, played by Patrick Troughton.

'Melancholy'

He said he had found Troughton's performance "compelling and a little bit frightening".

He said he wanted to move the role away from his "foppish image and find a more modern hero". The actor said he wanted to concentrate more on the part's "melancholy side".

The actor said the Daleks were "vulnerable" villains

The actor also told the magazine that he had been offered the role of the doctor for a movie eight years ago but had turned it down because he thought it might typecast him.

Paul McGann, one of the stars of the cult film Withnail and I, played the eighth incarnation for the 1996 film.

He told the magazine one of his most important memories of the show as a child was when viewers saw what was inside the casing of the doctor's arch-enemies, the Daleks.

"This great, cold steel instrument of destruction, all that casing, all that armour, is actually to protect this very vulnerable, strange, frightened creature," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3668997.stm

link also has responses to this news

THE Franta #344869 2004-09-05 8:05 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
What's a "Doctor Who"? And what's a "Dalek"? And isn't that the guy from 28 Days Later?

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344870 2004-09-05 8:13 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
indeed

THE Franta #344871 2004-09-05 8:14 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I wanna see Simon Pegg play the Doc! Just for a spoof at least!

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344872 2004-09-05 8:15 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Id like to see him as Sil.

THE Franta #344873 2004-09-05 8:17 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
The female alien from Species?!

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344874 2004-09-05 8:20 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts

THE Franta #344875 2004-09-05 8:24 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Is that sentient poop?

I don't know two shits (HA!) about Doc Who 'cept the Doctor himself and the Daleks.

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344876 2004-09-05 9:03 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Yup its where South Park got the idea for Mr Hanky.

THE Franta #344877 2004-09-05 3:15 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I hope they don't play up the vulnerablity of the Daleks too much. If I remember correctly those dalek brains looked like pieces of snot but they were still capable of strangling a man to death.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Good stuff, Frantalicious!

TK, 'Doctor Who' (in case you are seriously asking, and for anyone who doesn't understand the show's concept) is a series about an ancient, enigmatic time traveller. A renegade, on the run from his own people, the Time Lord known only as 'The Doctor' is a mystery unto himself. His name, agenda, and true origins remain unknown, even after 40 years of the franchise. But, in a cool 'Oooh...what's he really up to'-way. Not in a 'Who is Wolverine?'-way. The Doctor never carries weapons, preferring to use his wits to outthink any situation. And, with an IQ of, like, 2,007, he very well can. The original McGuyver, if you will.

Anyway, his mode of transportation through time/space is a time machine that he stole from his home planet. Seems, though, that the one he stole was actually up for repair. So, in essence, he's cruising in the time machine equivalent of the Millenium Falcon (a piece of crap that, when handled right, is your 'baby'). It's called 'TARDIS' (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space). Also seems these TARDIS machines have three very definite, and quite neat abilities.

One, as mentioned, it can take you to any point in time and/or space that you desire (assuming you can get it to work correctly....not so easy, as it always seems to take The Doctor exactly where he doesn't want to go). Second, the interior is created with 'folded dimensions'. In other words, it's bigger on the inside than the outside. Take your time with that one. Third, it has a program called the 'Chameleon Circuit'. This allows the exterior to change shape to blend in with its surroundings. Thus, if you landed in a forest, it would take the shape of a tree. And so on, and so forth. However, since The Doctor's TARDIS is, quite simply, an antiquated piece of crap, its Chameleon Circuit fried on his first trip to 1960's England (the pilot episode in '63). It took the shape of an old British Police Box, and has never changed since. Thus, the trademarked look of the ship and the identified signature icon of the series.

The final key to what makes this series unique is what is called 'regeneration'. Seems his species have a natural ability that, when near death, can reconfigure the body into an alternate pattern. Thus, curing any life-threatening problem. The side-affect is, it completely alters the physical aspects of the body, and jiggles the gray matter a bit.To that end, a Time Lord can only do this 12 times. Then, it really is death. The Doctor has regenerated 8 times thus far (counting this new guy coming for the 2005 series), allowing 9 different actors to interpret the role. Like James Bond, except they actually explain why he's a different actor. This little nuance of the series is really why it's had such a long life. Plus, it adds the distinction that, with every episode, the main character can die. So, unlike when Picard or Superman face a deadly situation, The Doctor can actually lose and get killed. It's a cool device, adding a unique tension to the stories.

The Doctor's, so far, are as follows:

(William Hartnell)

(Patrick Troughton)

(Jon Pertwee)

(Tom Baker)

(Peter Davison)

(Colin Baker)

(Sylvester McCoy)

(Paul McGann)

And, the new 2005-series guy...

(Chris Eccleston)

Also, it doesn't hurt that he travels with women like this...

So, that's Doctor Who: A Brief Glance. There will be a test at the end of this thread....

THE Franta #344879 2004-09-05 3:40 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

THE Franta said:
I aint to keen on the leather jacket....but a grimmer doc can work...as long as he aint packing heat!

I think Peter Davison's doctor used a gun on some cybermen in Earthshock but I might be wrong. I recall the story vividly as one of his companions - Adric - was killed at the end of it.

I'm hoping this new series will tread it's own path and not turn into a Buffy clone where everyone is proficient in martial arts. Dr Who wasn't really about fighting.

I also hope that they play it straight as there's a tendency in sci-fi and fantasy programmes to resort to annoying in-jokes, for the fans, which eat away at the credibility of the shows.

Idealy I'd like to see a return to the creepiness of the John Pertwee era. In spite of the production values, some of those episodes are still quite spooky today.

Last edited by backwards7; 2004-09-05 3:43 PM.
backwards7 #344880 2004-09-05 4:20 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

backwards7 said:
I think Peter Davison's doctor used a gun on some cybermen in Earthshock but I might be wrong. I recall the story vividly as one of his companions - Adric - was killed at the end of it.

Yeah, a great episode! And, yes, he and his next self (Colin Baker) both used the Cybermen's own guns against them. And, years before that, Tom Baker was making poisonous darts to take a guy out. And, before him, Jon Pertwee was using some form of marital arts to drop his bad guys. The common misconception I find about The Doctor is that he never uses weapons. That's simply not true. He will only resort to a weapon if it's his only remaining option. This has held true for every single Doctor.

Quote:

I'm hoping this new series will tread it's own path and not turn into a Buffy clone where everyone is proficient in martial arts. Dr Who wasn't really about fighting.

Oh dear god, I agree. The first time I see 'Rose' (the new companion) throw a martial arts chop on someone, I'm going to wretch with laughter.

Quote:

I also hope that they play it straight as there's a tendency in sci-fi and fantasy programmes to resort to annoying in-jokes, for the fans, which eat away at the credibility of the shows.

From what I gather, Russel T. Davies (the man making the new series) plans on making a serious science fiction show. He said he wants to update the horror and tension to a modern X-Files-level. More psyhocological, and all. I'm all for it. However, even X-Files had light, humorous moments. I don't need a grim-and-gritty depressing Doctor Who. Just a well-balanced one.

Quote:

Idealy I'd like to see a return to the creepiness of the John Pertwee era. In spite of the production values, some of those episodes are still quite spooky today.

From what I've gathered, this is exactly the way they're taking it. In fact, not to spoil anything, but, I've heard that a prominent Pertwee enemy will be seen in the new series. Of course, that's just rumor. But, even still....

Prometheus #344881 2004-09-05 8:40 PM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I dont mind the Doctor using a weapon occassionally, he has proven to be quite the swordsman as well. I dont want him to be like a time travelling Van Helsing simply blowing away all his enemies however.

Did the Fifth Doctor use a gun on the Cyberman? I thought he mostly rubbed the gold in the chest. It was on one of the stow-away Cyberman on the TARDIS and I thought the weapons were rendered ineffective.
Adric died crashing in a space ship travelling bacward through time with a buncha Cybermen.

The Fifth Doctor did use a gun on Davros, which pissed off Tegan causing her to leave him.

THE Franta #344882 2004-09-06 1:16 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Tom Baker! That's the Doc I watched as a kid! I remember only a snippet of an episode with him and a robotic dog-thing running away from some Daleks. I used to watch that and Red Dwarf, which came on right after. As a kid though, I thought it was one show, like the Star Wars films were one film. I was only 7...

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344883 2004-09-06 1:45 AM
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Tom Baker was the best.

Pariah #344884 2004-09-06 1:47 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Red Dwarf is the BEST!

THE Franta #344885 2004-09-06 1:48 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dark Star is the BEST!

Pariah #344886 2004-09-06 1:49 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts

THE Franta #344887 2004-09-06 1:50 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I was....I was just trying to start a wave................HITCH HIKERS!!

TK-069 #344888 2004-09-06 3:49 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
Tom Baker! That's the Doc I watched as a kid! I remember only a snippet of an episode with him and a robotic dog-thing running away from some Daleks. I used to watch that and Red Dwarf, which came on right after. As a kid though, I thought it was one show, like the Star Wars films were one film. I was only 7...

Yeah, Tom Baker's run was the first Who to be marketed across the pond. That's why so many of us remember him as being The Doctor of our childhood. Hell, that's how I first got involved with it, as well. The dog was called 'K9'....it was his second-best friend (himself being the first ).

Baker is, generally, considered to be the best actor to take on the part. He made Doctor Who an international success, and played the part for seven years....longer than anyone else. And, I have to admit, his Doctor is commanding, odd, very detached-alien, and extraordinarily witty. Most of this can be contributed to his brilliance as an actor. However, some of it has to go to the guy that wrote quite a bit of his prime run.....a new script editor that no one had ever heard of: Douglas Adams.

With a combination of Douglas and Tom, The Doctor was the most off-beat sci-fi hero of any series....past, present, and future.

Over the years, I fell in love with the entire concept of Who. The limitless canvas of adventure. The constant threat of the main character able to be killed off. The absolute Britishness of the entire thing. And, all the actors that have played the part have done a damn good job, interpreting the Doctor in their own way.

But, Tom Baker still reigns supreme to this day. And, I think he always will.

Prometheus #344889 2004-09-06 7:26 AM
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
THis is all very new to me. At least I've seen Red Dwarf before...

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
theory9 #344890 2004-09-06 3:51 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Well, that's why I listed all that info and those pics. So that you could learn something new, my brother-cousin.

And, trust me, if you liked Red Dwarf, you'd laugh yourself silly watching Tom Baker as The Doctor. He's brilliantly hilarious....

TK-069 #344891 2004-09-06 11:59 PM
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
I wanna see Simon Pegg play the Doc! Just for a spoof at least!

I'm surprised you've heard of him!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
ROY BATTY #344892 2004-09-07 12:06 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Shaun of the Dead.

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344893 2004-09-07 1:35 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could get of Peter Davidson at Dragon*Con. Assholes kept getting in the way of my best shots.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #344894 2004-09-07 4:08 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
with Marilyn Manson?

thedoctor #344895 2004-09-07 10:34 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could get of Peter Davidson at Dragon*Con. Assholes kept getting in the way of my best shots.

Well, that's when you start slapping fanboy-heads around....

Prometheus #344896 2004-09-07 4:17 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Well, that's when you start slapping fanboy-heads around....

Okay.

*SMACK*

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
THE Franta #344897 2004-09-07 4:18 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

THE Franta said:
with Marilyn Manson?

Some guy who was on the British committee for the con. He was at every British Track panel. He also never turned his cell phone off and received calls in the middle of panels. Asshole.

thedoctor #344898 2004-09-07 8:46 PM
200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Asshole?
At first I thought the guy in the lower left hand corn was Franta

TK-069 #344899 2004-09-07 8:47 PM
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
Shaun of the Dead.

How did that do in the US?

Did you guys get his sitcom, Spaced?

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
ROY BATTY #344900 2004-09-07 9:14 PM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I've heard of Spaced but haven't seen it. Shaun of the Dead doesn't come out until Sept. 24. I saw it in July for its first American screening. Fuckin' hilarious! And I got some free swag!

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344901 2004-09-07 9:55 PM
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
I've heard of Spaced but haven't seen it. Shaun of the Dead doesn't come out until Sept. 24. I saw it in July for its first American screening. Fuckin' hilarious! And I got some free swag!

Keep bragging, but I tell you this: I will own Shaun of the Dead before it reaches the American movie screens on September 24th! This I say, so shall it be!!!! Mwah-hah-hah-hah!!!! Or something.

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Joe Mama #344902 2004-09-07 10:03 PM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Oh. OK. I was gonna send you some of the free stuff I got like a special movie ticket, one-sheets and T-shirt, but nevermind! You're getting the UK DVD!

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #344903 2004-09-07 10:17 PM
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
Oh. OK. I was gonna send you some of the free stuff I got like a special movie ticket, one-sheets and T-shirt, but nevermind! You're getting the UK DVD!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Damn it! Out-smarted AGAIN!!!

TK...c'mon...who's your buddy? Who's your pal? Who sent you pics with the expressed intention of having you goof on him over in the Gathering thread?

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard