Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
From the NY Daily News:

Bob Dylan...has written a memoir chronicling the agonies of fame, which include a plague of peaceniks so intrusive that he kept guns in his house and "wanted to set fire to these people."

In an excerpt from "Chronicles, Volume I" published in the current Newsweek, Dylan bemoans the consequences of writing "songs that were dead straight and expressed powerful new realities."

"I had very little in common with and knew even less about a generation that I was supposed to be the voice of," Dylan writes.

In fact, Dylan says he had two pistols and a rifle in his upstate Woodstock home to protect his family from his rowdiest fans.

"At first, it was merely the nomadic homeless making illegal entry - seemed harmless enough, but then rogue radicals looking for the Prince of Protest began to arrive - unaccountable-looking characters, gargoyle-looking gals, scarecrows, stragglers looking to party, raid the pantry," he writes.

"Not only that, but creeps thumping their boots across our roof could even take me to court if any of them fell off. This was so unsettling. I wanted to set fire to these people."

All he ever wanted was "a nine-to-five existence" - not to be some "Big Bubba of Rebellion."

"In my real life I got to do the things that I loved the best and that was all that mattered - the Little League games, birthday parties, taking my kids to school, camping trips, boating, rafting, canoeing, fishing," he writes.

But his genius for penning songs that spoke to a generation torn apart by the Vietnam War apparently turned him into "a scapegoat - someone to lead the charge against the Roman Empire."

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Got the Bob Dylan blues
And the Bob Dylan shoes
And my clothes and my hair's in a mess

But you know I just couldn't care less

Gonna write me a song 'bout what's right and what's wrong
Got God and my girl and all that
Quiet while I make like a cat

Cause I'm a poet, doncha know it
And the wind you can blow it
Cause I'm Mr. Dylan the king
And I'm free as a bird on the wing

Roam from town to town, get to get people down
but I don't care too much about that
Cause my gut and my wallet are fat

Make a whole lot of dough but i deserve it though
I got soul and a good heart of gold
So I'll sing about war and the cold

Well I sings about dreams and I rhymes it with seams
Cause it seems that my dream always means
That I can prophesy all kinds of things

Well the guy that digs me
Should try hard to see
That he buys all my discs in a hat.
And when I'm in town go see that.

And that's terrible.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Good ole Syd Barrett.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Bob Dylan, closet Republican?

"My favorite politician was Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater who reminded me of Tom Mix...there wasn't anyway to explain that to anybody."

--Bob Dylan, Chronicles

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Cool, thanks for posting that.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Anybody watching the Dylan special on PBS tonight?

I'm a little surprised at some of the comments of the formerly reclusive folk/rock star.

He seems like the kind of guy I could have a beer with...unlike his long-ago paramour, Joan Baez, or communist mentor, Pete Seeger.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I've been a big fan of Dylan for a while now, and none of this surprised me. Oh, and Chronicles is a great read.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
he sounds kind of like an asshole.
now, John Lennon had a man who was sleeping in his garden at his Ascot estate. He had his people bring hte man up to the house explained to him that he was just a guy writing what he feels and that the music was for everyone.
Then Lennon gave the man some lunch and sent him on his way.

No need for guns and immolation if you treat people with respect.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

[Dylan]sounds kind of like an asshole.
now, John Lennon [treated] people with respect.

Which one's alive and which one was shot on the street outside his house again?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
What the fuck does that have to do anything?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
r3x was criticizing Dylan for being distant, if not overly defensive towards, fans who came to his home, while lauding Lennon for being friendly to them.

Given what happened to Lennon, and the number of other psycho stalkers out there, it would seem that Dylan is probably right to behave that way.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
r3x was criticizing Dylan for being distant, if not overly defensive towards, fans who came to his home, while lauding Lennon for being friendly to them.

Given what happened to Lennon, and the number of other psycho stalkers out there, it would seem that Dylan is probably right to behave that way.

that's like saying Kennedy should've started WWIII so he wouldn't have pissed off the CIA, or (another theory) he shouldn't have gone after the mob.

It's not how long someone lives, it's how well they live and how they treat others.
A psycho will be a psycho no matter what. And Chapman shot Lennon on a New York street after Lennon had been respectful and decent to hundreds of fans he ran into over the years that he lived there.

I'd rather be a dead nice guy than a surly old asshole.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Great fear mentality you got there. The cold war really pulled a number on you people.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I'd rather be a dead nice guy than a surly old asshole.

Are you referring to Dylan or G-Man?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Nothing succeeds like success.

Dylan's alive and enjoying his sixties.

Lennons' dead with that old harpy Yoko exploiting his memory and ripping of Julian's inheritance.

You're telling me that Lennon wouldn't rather be alive?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Lennon was unlucky, that's all. Saying his kindness to his fans is responsible for his death is like saying that no one should travel by airplane because of Buddy Holly.

Imagine if one of Dylan's kids had been hurt or killed because of an accident with one of the guns he kept in his house: would you be saying he shouldn't have been so defensive about his fans?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I'm not saying Lennon's kindness caused his death. I'm saying that, given there are people like Mark David Chapman out there, it is not unreasonable for Dylan to feel the way he does.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I'm not saying Lennon's kindness caused his death. I'm saying that, given there are people like Mark David Chapman out there, it is not unreasonable for Dylan to feel the way he does.

but if we all lived like hermits with guns to avoid the 1 in a 10,000 psycho then, to paraphrase bush, the psychos win.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But we're all not Bob Dylan. We're not superstar singer-songwriters, dubbed "the voice of a generation" by the press and subject to unwanted pilgramages by fans whose mental states may or may not be questionable.

Most of us don't have to live like hermits.

In the age of celebrity stalkers, people like Dylan may have to.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
But we're all not Bob Dylan. We're not superstar singer-songwriters, dubbed "the voice of a generation" by the press and subject to unwanted pilgramages by fans whose mental states may or may not be questionable.

Most of us don't have to live like hermits.

In the age of celebrity stalkers, people like Dylan may have to.

There's a difference between "i want to feel safe" and "i wanted to burn them."
this is one of those points where you have to separate the art from the artist.
the generation who love him is the beatniks and the hippies. a generation based (in idealogy) in freedom of expression and an end to overly hostile lifestyles.
dylan is a tool.

john lennon was a man of peace who despite his problems believed in people. not perfect, but a man always wanting to grow.
he wouldn't have been a hermit in our era.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Not completely unreasonable, but not a necessity either. The possibilities of being murdered by a psycho killer are minimum; as I said, by the same reasoning Dylan shouldn't ride airplanes either.
I'm not criticising Dylan for his decision, I'm criticising your gratuitous "which one's alive..." comment.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
People will always mold their hereos however they want. Some want to see Dylan one way, others want to see him another. I guess G-Man just feels more comfortable seeing him as someone who secretly despised the people he was supposedly speaking for(the hippie generation).

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
People will always mold their hereos however they want. Some want to see Dylan one way, others want to see him another. I guess G-Man just feels more comfortable seeing him as someone who secretly despised the people he was supposedly speaking for(the hippie generation).

I wouldn't call Dylan a hero. However, I think part of what makes him the preeminent songwriter of the latter half of this century is his ability to write songs that so many people can get so many meanings out of.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
National Review columnist John Derbyshire:

Scorsese had the good sense to play down the “protest” side of the early Dylan. That stuff was in the air, of course, and Dylan could hardly have helped but pick it up, given the crowd he was hanging out with. He got some fine numbers out of it, too.

Watching the footage of him and Pete Seeger singing their songs in a field crowded with civil-rights people and black southerners, you got a flavor of the idealism and, yes, patriotism that carried the movement along. And of course, brave deeds were done and great things accomplished.

It needs a constant effort, though, watching that footage now, to push away the thought of how many hopes were not fulfilled — of how, in some ways, black and white Americans are still as far apart as ever.

Also, even more distressing, to see that fine idealism from 40 years on, and notice the slight aura of silliness and moral preening that flickered around it. I found myself looking at the faces of the black people in that field, and wondering what they were thinking. Scorsese, always one step ahead of you, has one of them tell us: “Who was this white kid from New York talking about walking hard roads? It was my father that walked those roads. White people don’t have hard times…”

Dylan, in any case, though he could see the injustice — anyone with eyes could see it — and felt what his peers felt, was never much interested in politics, except as a source for lyrics. Dylan was, and is, all music, all through. Watching him talking on the Scorsese film, he does not really come across as very bright. For sure he is not very articulate. Musical people rarely are, and pop musicians practically never. (I once saw an interview with Mick Jagger. I hope I get a clean run to the grave without ever having to see another one.)

Not that Dylan didn’t sometimes have a way with words. A very literary person of my acquaintance, a published poet, once told me that he thought “the dog up and died” (from “Mister Bojangles”) one of the loveliest lines in the English language. I could bring forth 100 better candidates for that particular award, but I do see my friend’s point. If you write as many lyrics as Dylan, though, and have a musician’s feel for the rhythmic properties of language, you are bound to come up with good lines once in a while. Hank Williams, who was next to illiterate, wrote some very beautiful lines.

Dylan was a generation younger than Williams, and from the north-midwest, not the south. The “old, weird America” of carny freak shows, town drunks, ragged mystics, stoical beaten-down Negroes, and long dusty roads with the hope of something better at the end, was slipping away even in Dylan’s childhood. He reached out and grabbed at it as it fled, though, and ripped off a corner of its strange starry cloak, and turned it into songs, by the miracle of art. I thought Scorsese did a pretty good job on the man and his music; but really, the music is all there is — and goodness knows, it ought to be enough for anyone.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Dylan's 'play loud' drummer recalls famed 1966 tour:

Mickey Jones can always say that it was Bob Dylan who wanted to see him at the Whisky A Go-Go. He can also lay claim to being in Dylan's band on the famed 1966 tour when crowds booed the singer for going electric, prompting Dylan to whip around and demand that Jones "play f****** loud."

Jones, a veteran character actor who lives in Simi Valley, Calif., played drums on Dylan's historic and controversial 1966 world tour. A DVD featuring home movies Jones took of that tour came out last year, and now Jones is included in Martin Scorsese's Dylan documentary airing Sept. 26-27 on PBS.

Jones was on a movie set in North Carolina earlier this week, back on the job after during some promotional work in New York for the PBS special, titled "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan." For Jones, it all began in early 1965 at the Whisky, the famed West Hollywood nightclub. He was drumming for Johnny Rivers at the time; a waitress he knew came up to him one night and said, "Bob Dylan wants to meet you." Jones, a Dylan fan, thought she was kidding, but soon Dylan motioned him to his table, told him he loved the way he played and wanted to record with him.

Then in early 1966, while still with Rivers, Jones was offered $750 a week to tour with Dylan. "In '66, that was a lot of dough," said Jones, adding that within three days after finishing a USO tour in Vietnam with Rivers and Ann-Margret he was rehearsing with Dylan.

The tour, now legendary, didn't seem to go so well at the time. It was the infamous tour in which Dylan went electric, offending lots of folk fans. "We got booed everywhere we went; booed off the stage," Jones said.

But it didn't deter Dylan; Jones recalled, saying Dylan was like a "caged animal" in the dressing rooms, always anxious to get onstage with his new sound. But the tour had to be cut short in August after Dylan was badly hurt in a motorcycle accident. In 1978, Dylan again asked Jones to go on tour with him, but Jones, who was just getting his acting career going, turned him down even after jamming with him for four hours at a Santa Monica studio.

Jones, now 64, found Dylan to be a "real quiet and very soft-spoken" professional. To most people, Jones noted, "Bob is more of a myth than a person ... He's almost too good to be true."

Several years ago, Jones sat down for a five-hour interview with Dylan publisher-archivist Jeff Rosen; footage from that session is used in "No Direction Home." The PBS show, Jones said, will clear up some things about Dylan and might even transform fans.

"They are starved for anything Bob, and they don't get much Bob," he said, alluding to Dylan's reclusive nature.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Lennon was unlucky, that's all. Saying his kindness to his fans is responsible for his death is like saying that no one should travel by airplane because of Buddy Holly.

Well, the guy who killed Lennon did say he shot him because he loved him. I guess he was just reciprocating....

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The defining factor was that he was nuts, not that he loved Lennon, as millions of others did and do. In that sense, it could happen to any other star, and in a broader sense, to anyone.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
On the other hand, the guy who killed him prolly wouldn't have done so if Lennon wasn't such a......Good guy.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
On the other hand, Buddy Holly wouldn't had died if he wasn't so trusting in those damn airplanes. Let's all hate airplanes and be grouchy people.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I dunno....I can see some pretty big differences between putting your life in he hands of a plane and leaving your fate up to a bunch of hippies (see also: Manson).

P.S.

The storm killed Holly. Not the plane.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Exactly. The storm was the deciding factor, not the plane. Airplanes aren't bad by themselves, but when there's a storm they can kill you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well yeah. Lennon wasn't bad by himself, but then he started getting all hippy-crazy and ended up having his life taken by one of his own crazies.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Also, grapes aren't bad by themselves, but you can choke while eating them.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Also, what does "leaving your fate up to a bunch of hippies" mean? I give money to a hobo every week, am I leaving my fate up to him?

Do you think Bob Dylan is leaving his kids' life up to a gun by keeping it in the house?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Also, what does "leaving your fate up to a bunch of hippies" mean? I give money to a hobo every week, am I leaving my fate up to him?

No, that just means you're wasting your money.

Quote:

Do you think Bob Dylan is leaving his kids' life up to a gun by keeping it in the house?

No. He's leaving his kids' lives up to his own use of his firearm.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
No, that just means you're wasting your money.

Is this a direct quote from Jesus?

Quote:

No. He's leaving his kids' lives up to his own use of his firearm.

My point is that the guns are in the house, so even if they're kept in a safe place there's always the possibility that a terrible accident might happen. You're seeing a "lesson" in Lennon's kindness because of your own personal issues. I don't know if this is true, but I once read that Chapman said he murdered Lennon because of his disrespect for religion ("we're bigger than Jesus", "imagine there's no heaven"). If the murderer was a religious fanatic and not a dirty hippy, would you see a lesson there too?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Is this a direct quote from Jesus?

If that hobo isn't doing anything productive with the money you give him, then yes.

Quote:

My point is that the guns are in the house, so even if they're kept in a safe place there's always the possibility that a terrible accident might happen.

And if that terrible accident wasn't gun related, would you still beret Dylan on gun safety?

Danger comes from all places Mxy. Some dangers are just more blatant than others. For example: Being such a huge celebrity would call for some security precautions. Ones Lennon didn't feel like taking.

Quote:

You're seeing a "lesson" in Lennon's kindness because of your own personal issue

Uuuuuhhhh....What personal issue? I just said his brand of "kindess" killed him.

Quote:

I don't know if this is true, but I once read that Chapman said he murdered Lennon because of his disrespect for religion ("we're bigger than Jesus", "imagine there's no heaven"). If the murderer was a religious fanatic and not a dirty hippy, would you see a lesson there too?

Chapman was supposedly a Christian, but there wasn't a time where he said religion was his motive. I think people drew to that conclusion on their own.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
If--

Ah.

Quote:

And if that terrible accident wasn't gun related, would you still beret Dylan on gun safety?

Heh, I never criticised Dylan for having a gun. I'm using that as an example. Check out my post right before Animalman's in the first page of this topic. You obviously didn't get my point if you think I was applying your same logic to Dylan.

Quote:

Danger comes from all places Mxy. Some dangers are just more blatant than others. For example: Being such a huge celebrity would call for some security precautions. Ones Lennon didn't feel like taking.

A celebrity being killed by a psycho is still a very rare thing. It's seems like something that happens every day because of the publicity it gets, but it's still a distant possibility. Letting a distant possibility rule your life (in other words, living under fear), is as stupid as refusing to fly in an airplane because it might fall.

Quote:

Uuuuuhhhh....What personal issue? I just said his brand of "kindess" killed him.

Seems to me like you have something against hippies.

Quote:

Chapman was supposedly a Christian, but there wasn't a time where he said religion was his motive. I think people drew to that conclusion on their own.

Ok... I knew it probably wasn't true, which is why I started my post saying I wasn't sure and posed my (unanswered) question as an if.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Bob Dylan's 'Modern Times' Tops Charts

Bob Dylan is back at the top of the charts — for the first time in 30 years. His new album, "Modern Times," reached No. 1 on the album sales chart, selling 192,000 units in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan figures released Wednesday.

The critically acclaimed disc is Dylan's first No. 1 album since 1976's "Desire."

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
New York Post:
  • Dylan, the most acclaimed and influential songwriter of the past half century, who more than anyone brought rock from the streets to the lecture hall, received an honorary Pulitzer Prize yesterday.

He was cited for his "profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."

It was the first time Pulitzer judges, who have long favored classical music, and, more recently, jazz, gave an award for an art form once dismissed as barbaric, even subversive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard