Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#375459 2004-10-22 4:44 PM
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
At some point in 2005, Tony Blair will stand for a third term as Priminister. Despite his deteriorating credibility he is still likely to win because of the weakness of the two rival political parties.

In the U.S. the longest a President can serve is two terms.

Is the American model the way to go, or should we allow our leaders to stay in power until either the processes of democracy or the long knives in their own political parties oust them?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I prefer the American way myself. Yeah, it means we can only hang on to our good presidents for eight years at the most, but if we get stuck with a bad president, we know that eventually he'll be out of power, be it in four years or eight.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree with DK.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I like the British system. The idea that Blair's losing credibility is exaggerated. Almost everyone I know believes that he's still the right man, even though Iraq was a bit of a blow.

And besides, if they're a bad PM they get voted out after one term. It's as simple as that.

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i'd prefer a combo, actually.

i don't think a president should be limited to two terms. however i do think a president should not be allowed to run in consecutive terms.

during the fourth year, the president spends (wastes) so much time defending his own policies, campaigning, making new promises, etc ... all of which should be time spent being president.

by disallowing consecutive terms, you can ensure that you'll get four solid years of presidenting. and, if that president is especially good and, thus, popular, you can revote him into office every other term, forever.

giant picture
Rob #375464 2004-10-22 10:43 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Except...

You'll end up with the guy "out of office" stopping at nothing to snipe at the guy "in office" every chance he gets.

If you think partisan bickering is bad NOW, it would be ten times as bad under the Rob proposal.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
ROB FOR PRESIDENT

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Term limits are good, and Canada is an example of why we need them.

We had the same prime minister -- Jean Chretien of the Liberal Party -- for 12 years straight. He got reelected over and over not because he was competent or even that people liked him, but because the old conservatives had split on an east-west basis into two rival parties, neither of which could threaten the Liberal Party's reign of power. It wasn't until just a year ago that the conservatives finally got their act together and merged the two parties back together to form the new Conservative Party that the Liberals' power was ever threatened. This enabled the corrupt Liberals, headed by Jean Chretien, to retain power despite numerous scandals involving the misuse of millions of Canadian taxpayer's dollars.

I'm not saying that term-limits would've necessarily reformed the Liberal Party, but things have been much better since Chretien finally resigned and was replaced by his longtime rival, Paul Martin. And they no longer have a majority government, which is also very good.

So I do think term limits are good. You let politicians be in charge for too long, and eventually they begin thinking of themselves as royalty, as if they belong there.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You'll end up with the guy "out of office" stopping at nothing to snipe at the guy "in office" every chance he gets.

i can't see that as being much different than it is now, in that regard. its not like clinton went his terms in silence, or bush went without democrat commentary.

at least this way, the guy "in office" (quotes?) wouldn't have to waste his, and the nation's, time retaliating with similar mud slinging.

disco is right.

me for president.

giant picture
Rob #375468 2004-10-23 4:26 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

i don't think a president should be limited to two terms. however i do think a president should not be allowed to run in consecutive terms.

during the fourth year, the president spends (wastes) so much time defending his own policies, campaigning, making new promises, etc ... all of which should be time spent being president.

by disallowing consecutive terms, you can ensure that you'll get four solid years of presidenting. and, if that president is especially good and, thus, popular, you can revote him into office every other term, forever.

The problem with this is that people have short memories. Yeah, they'll love him for four years, but if he has to wait four years after that term to run for office, people will forget about him, unless he spends all four years campaigning - and as G-Man said, that will only increase the amount of partisan vitriol we have to put up with.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Rob #375469 2004-10-23 4:30 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
disco is right.

me for president.

Most the country doesn't even want gay marriage, let alone a gay president.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #375470 2004-10-23 5:36 PM
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:

wull there goes my hopes for you as "running mate" !

Quote:

Darknight613 said:
The problem with this is that people have short memories. Yeah, they'll love him for four years, but if he has to wait four years after that term to run for office, people will forget about him

a four year "leave" will allow the public to fully assess what that individual did as president, rather than what we have now: three presidential years, one year spent trying to make the public forget mistakes from the first three in time to start up again. thats a solid year wasted on being president.

in that fourth year, everything about the president changes. all of his speeches, even those 12 months prior to election, have a different tint to them. in modern times, we call that hope "lying," and its delightfully equal on both sides of the fence. forcing the president out after a four year period will address that directly.

further, it ensures a change in power all the time, never allowing a grouping to dominate the country for an 8 year run. at worst, a new face will take over. but as seen from reagan to bush, clinton to gore, dubya to cheney, gore to kerry, even those who are politically "like-minded" are vastly different. this will always give the public something new to push for.

giant picture
Rob #375471 2004-10-24 12:03 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Rob,

Could the president be his party's vice presidential candidate?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
no.

in my earth, the president and vice president would both be ineligble in the subsequent term.

giant picture
Rob #375473 2004-10-24 6:04 AM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Earth 3?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

SpandexMonkeyMan said:
And besides, if they're a bad PM they get voted out after one term. It's as simple as that.

same thing in Denmark, and you know what's the best part of it?

It works!

Racks be to MisterJLA
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
It won’t work in Britain due to lack of credibility of the main opposition (Conservative Party) and the growing third party (Liberal Democrats) are not yet ready for power.

But I don’t know anyone who still has faith in Blair (I never did myself, I’ve found him to be false since before he was elected), the votes he stole from the Conservatives are now lost not knowing who to vote for (hence the proliferation of small far right parties with no real agenda, just a lot of frustration that is mainly led by the tabloid press), while all the Old Labour voters feel Blair has largely taken the party way from it’s core values. They are probably the reason for the rise of the Lib Dems, but are lot are still voting Labour out of habit because they can’t bear the thought of the Conservatives getting back in, and they are just praying Gordon Brown will succeed Blair.

I would limit to two consecutive terms myself. I think it’s best to have a change of leader imposed after that period, but if the people like them that much they should be able to choose them again at a later date.

Rob #375476 2004-10-25 11:43 AM
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

rex said:

wull there goes my hopes for you as "running mate" !

He'll definitely be running if you make him your mate.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Steve T said:
It won’t work in Britain due to lack of credibility of the main opposition (Conservative Party) and the growing third party (Liberal Democrats) are not yet ready for power.

But I don’t know anyone who still has faith in Blair (I never did myself, I’ve found him to be false since before he was elected), the votes he stole from the Conservatives are now lost not knowing who to vote for (hence the proliferation of small far right parties with no real agenda, just a lot of frustration that is mainly led by the tabloid press), while all the Old Labour voters feel Blair has largely taken the party way from it’s core values. They are probably the reason for the rise of the Lib Dems, but are lot are still voting Labour out of habit because they can’t bear the thought of the Conservatives getting back in, and they are just praying Gordon Brown will succeed Blair.

I would limit to two consecutive terms myself. I think it’s best to have a change of leader imposed after that period, but if the people like them that much they should be able to choose them again at a later date.

That's probably a good point, but up here in Yorkshire (where exactly is Romsey, anyway?) Blair's still more popular politically that Howerd or Kennedy.

'Course, Kennedy's more personally popular than Blair cos he's Scottish and they rock, but Labour is still more popular. I don't know enough about Brown to opine on that matter, though.

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Next to Southampton But posher. Charles and Di started their honeymoon here cos the Mountbatten family has a big estate.

Lady Romsey is often photographed with Prince Philip, along side lots of nudge nudge wink wink articles, look at them.

It's a Tory town really but the then Tory MP (who was very popular) died in 98 and they lost the bi-election to Lib Dem. They put in some old stereo type Tory who had never been near Romsey, thinking it would be easy, but the Lib Dems put up a local woman (ex Mayor of Romsey in fact) and won it. Her lead was narrowed at the next general election. Don't know how she'll get on next time.

She's in the shadow cabinet, representative for Women and old people I think. Her name's Sandra Gidley. She's been on Question Time and other things a few times.

Rob #375479 2004-10-25 4:57 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

There is a problem with this that I did not think of. During the second term of many presidencies, if Congress doesn't like the President, they just wait him out, and don't bother to try and follow his agenda. That's why more gets done during a president's first term. The problem with this plan is that every term would be like a second term. So, if Congress doesn't want to work with the current President, they can just wait four years for the next one.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
thats simply a problem of beaurocracy, and not something affected by my presidential term idea. congress could just as easily wait out a president's first term, in hopes of getting a new elected official (made easier, since nothing was accomplished in the first four years).

giant picture
Rob #375481 2004-10-25 5:37 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Good point.

RDCW Profile

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I have to say, the idea of a bad PM or President staying in for more than a term is an absurd one. They're bad, they go. 'Kay, so Tony Blair's war on Iraq was a blunder, but economically, educationally and in most other areas he has succeeded admirably. There are more areas out there than foreign policy, people

OOK OOK ACK EEK!

Link Copied to Clipboard