Bianca Offline OP
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts

Game called in Detroit after ugly brawl
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons on Friday night, forcing an early and ugly end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

The game was stopped with 45.9 seconds remaining when a pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands after fans began throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

``It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player,'' Pistons coach Larry Brown said.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, the Pacers were pelted with beer, ice, and popcorn as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

The Palace announcer said the game was being stopped and pleaded with fans not to throw things.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest.

Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest lay on his back on the scorer's table.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a cup thrown from the stands. He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee. A Pistons player came running into the crowd.

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands.

As the crowd roared, drinks and debris showered the court and the Pacers players covered their heads as they hustled through the runway leading to the locker room.

Last edited by Rob Kamphausen; 2004-11-23 4:14 PM.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I saw this on TV. The NBA really needs to start cracking down on Ron Artest, Ben Wallace and the rest of the assholes.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
I'll bet you . . . after this . . . all those "court side seating" will disappear.

And/or they seriously consider stopping alcohol sales around half-time.

Man, this is so fucked up.

My friend who covers the games (for the AP) usually sits next to Rick Mahorn and in the whole mess, he got shoved around a bit but he's okay. I didn't see him, but I saw Mahorn in the stands trying to get some control.

Man, this sucks badly.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I don't want everyone to be punished because of a couple asses. What I think will happen is that they will hire more security, which will raise ticket prices.

Bianca Offline OP
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
I think that's a given . . . but I also think those court side seats are history.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Or at least they will have an improved barrier between the seats and the court.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Thats what ESPN is saying also.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
It wasn't just the players. It was the fans as well. The footage clearly shows fans aacting toward players in an unprovoked manner. There's ugliness all around.

We all wear a green carnation.
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Ironic that last night,Fallujah was safer than Auburn Hills.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I only saw the reruns on SportsCenter. I'll be honest...I detest the NBA. I have never cared for the brand of ball they play and none of the players interest me. There's nothing to draw me to the sport.

It seems to me to be a punk league that attracts punk players and punk fans.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
I think that's a given . . . but I also think those court side seats are history.

I doubt it. The NBA makes too much $ off of those to give them up.

Hey, they have to get the money somewhere to pay some of those guys 20 mill a year, right?

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I only saw the reruns on SportsCenter. I'll be honest...I detest the NBA. I have never cared for the brand of ball they play and none of the players interest me. There's nothing to draw me to the sport.

It seems to me to be a punk league that attracts punk players and punk fans.

These are the same guys that make millions and millions a year, but can't represent their country which pays them so extremely well when the Olympics roll around.

Then there was the '98 World Championships that they didn't show for, since they had a labor dispute with the NBA.

Bunch of overpaid, spoiled cunts. Fuck the lot of 'em.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Okay, I saw this live and there was absolutely no security there. Now, there is no way Artest, O'neal and Jackson can be excused for fighting basically the people who give them their paychecks however that doesn't give fans the right to throw debris at the players, storm the court and challenge them. I put as much on the Palace of Auburn Hills management as I do the NBA players.

I saw guys like Austin Croshere and Freddie Jones trying to be a peacemaker and get decked for their troubles. A big solution would be to stop beer sales when the third period starts. All fans involved had a beer in their hands.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
4 NBA Players Suspended After Brawl

Quote:

NEW YORK — The NBA suspended Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson of Indiana and Ben Wallace of Detroit on Saturday for taking part in one of the ugliest brawls in U.S. sports history.

The suspensions were indefinite, and the league was still investigating Friday night's melee involving fans, which commissioner David Stern called "shocking, repulsive and inexcusable — a humiliation for everyone associated with the NBA."

The league issued a statement saying it was reviewing rules and security procedures "so that fans can continue to attend our games unthreatened by events such as the ones that occurred last night."

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson — all of whom threw punches at fans during the fight at the end of Friday night's nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game — were to begin serving their suspensions Saturday night, when the Pacers played a home game against Orlando.

Wallace's suspension will begin with the Pistons' next home game, Sunday night against the Charlotte Bobcats. Pistons spokesman Tom Wilson said Saturday the team plans to use "playoff-level security" starting with that game, doubling the number of armed police and increasing arena security by about 25 percent, though he couldn't say how many police and security that would be.

"Our investigation is ongoing, and I expect it to be completed by tomorrow (Sunday) evening," Stern said in his statement.

The brawl was shocking, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was thrown at the players. Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the melee broke out, the referees called off the remainder of the game.

"This demonstrates why our players must not enter the stands, whatever the provocation or poisonous behavior of people attending the games," Stern said.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
Okay, I saw this live and there was absolutely no security there. Now, there is no way Artest, O'neal and Jackson can be excused for fighting basically the people who give them their paychecks however that doesn't give fans the right to throw debris at the players, storm the court and challenge them. I put as much on the Palace of Auburn Hills management as I do the NBA players.

I saw guys like Austin Croshere and Freddie Jones trying to be a peacemaker and get decked for their troubles. A big solution would be to stop beer sales when the third period starts. All fans involved had a beer in their hands.

Why does that not surprise me?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The Oakland County prosectuter's office has detectives watching vedeos of the brawl. They plan on filing over a hundred assault charges once they sort it all out. And that's just against the fans. I don't think they plan on going after the players. Artest is already facing private lawsuits. Ben Wallace really fucked up, but everything was cool until that facktarded fan threw beer on Artest. Artest is a loose cannon. What the fuck was that fan thinking he wold do? Look the other way? I'm actually glad Artest decked him. Everything else though, Artest crossed the line by going into the stands. So the brawl really isn't Big Ben's fault. THe blame should be shared by the fucktard who threw the beer and Artest.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The person Artest hit wasn't the guy who threw the plastic cup. He went after the wrong guy. And I think everyone who threw a punch/threw something is responsible.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Personally, I have no problem with what the Pacers did. All the fans they got to, got what they deserved. Artest DID get the guy who started it, and when he did other fans went after him. I was surprised that Jackson and O'Neal got into fights as well, but fans went after them as well from what I saw on ESPN. Now, they did nothing to defuse the hostility but then again, Palace security was out jacking off somewhere from what I saw. Or didn't see.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Punk players.

Punk fans.

Punk outcomes.

This...event will be trailed with lawsuits. The fans who got punched by players, fans who got hit by flying debris. The Pacers will get sued, the Pistons will get sued, the NBA will get sued, the Palace will get sued.

And of course, let's not forget all the countersuits that will be filed.

For me, this opens up a thought about sports I've been having for a long time...Has it finally come down to the possible fact that fans hate the athletes? We used to idolize our sports hereoes. Now, they're seldom heroes and we no longer idolize them. At times, we barely tolerate them.

Is it just me?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I've always been against idolizing players. Being good at a sport doesn't make you a good person.

15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Is it just me?

You didn't read my post, did you?

No, it's not just you.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I saw a detailed replay last night at 11 pm. The guy who threw the beer at Artest got out of the way when he came charging up, and made it like the dumbass who was yelling at Artest was the one who threw the beer. Then, after Artest decked him, the guy who threw the beer jumped Artest from behind. What a piece of shit. At least his face was plastered all over the news. I'm sure he'll be brought up on charges. He'll probably also be banned from the Palace.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I read on another board that the fans in that area are season ticket holders.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I still want to know where security was. In Seattle they only pay for a small number of cops but if there's any more volunteers it's paid overtime for them. At this time of the year there's a lot of police at Sonics game because they need the money for the holidays.

Anyone see SNL? Cracked me up the references to the game. You know they threw that in real quick.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Stern is going to have an announcement at 3:30.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
NBA suspends Artest for rest of season

Quote:

NEW YORK (AP) - Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday as the NBA came down hard on three members of the Indiana Pacers for fighting with fans when a melee broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games, including some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace - whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the 5-minute fracas - drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson - who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night - began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The amazing thing is that I agree with the suspensions.

RDCW Profile

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think all the players who went into the stands should be out for the season.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I don't know. Maybe. I guess if they are already suspending Artest for the season, maybe Jackson and O'Neal should join him. But I can't complain about 30 and 25 games respectively. I thought that's all Artest would get, and am quite surprised he's gone for the season.

RDCW Profile

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
O'neal should have been suspended for at least a year for punching the guy that ran on the court. O'neal ran to punch him. No way that was self defense.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Yeah, I guess you're right about that. Artest had already punched him and walked away when O'Neal got into it. But that guy is probably in deep shit too, bacause he wasn't supposed to be on the court. Still, I guess O'Neal is just as nuts as Artest. OK. You win. I have a problem with the suspensions now.

Are you happy?

RDCW Profile

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Yup.
The one thing that really surprised me about the whole thing was that Rasheed Wallace was not involved.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
He was the peace keeper.

RDCW Profile

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Same with Reggie, I thought.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the NBA's PR group at work.

as if the nation didn't already hate the continually lowering sport enough, now we have these escaped zoo animals to cherish and support.

the only thing i found redeeming about the footage is how it shows the players, from many angles, getting their asses handed to them. they punch one fan in the face, 30 fans jump and swarm them like a tidal wave. equally wrong and violent, sure.

but at least i like the fans.

giant picture
15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
That one guy who emptied his beer cup onto that one player's head, as he was walking down the tunnel is my hero.

15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
I don't know if I used the comma in that sentence properly.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
There were a couple tards that did that.

15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
No...there was one guy in particular who very carefully managed to get his beer cup directly over the head of one of the players, as he was being escorted back to the locker room.

He then very deliberately made sure that all of the contents of the cup were poured over the player.

It was brilliant.

He didn't wildly throw anything...he wanted to make sure the Pacer got the full effect of the cup.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Yeah, I guess you're right about that. Artest had already punched him and walked away when O'Neal got into it. But that guy is probably in deep shit too, bacause he wasn't supposed to be on the court. Still, I guess O'Neal is just as nuts as Artest. OK. You win. I have a problem with the suspensions now.

Are you happy?

Most everyone is saying that in the NBA, Rule #1 is "Don't go in the stands. Period."

This is Stern sending a message AND trying to save the image of his league.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard