Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Harbinger was a participant in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Created by Wolfman and Perez, she had no origin, but fanatsic powers - she could copy herself into an unlimited number of doppelgangers, travel through time and space, and and shoot bolts of energy. A possessed Harbinger slew the Anti-Monitor in probably the most surprising twist in a comic in its day. After Crisis, Harbinger was in The New Guardians, and then had backdrop roles in comics like Woder Woman.

The character's most recent appearance was in Superman/Batman. Alas....she was killed off.

I was personally furious that they killed off Harbinger. In the three seconds that I was furious, I imagined that I had carved a pentagram into my chest with a razor left to rust in holy water, and called down the five demons of the Anti-Easter to haunt The Stain Known as Loeb until he dies of spontaneous human combustion.

Once the three seconds passed, I resumed eating my lunch.

Are there any characters that you care about, and that no one else gives a flying fuck for?

Last edited by Rob Kamphausen; 2004-12-01 8:10 PM.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

25+ posts
25+ posts
Maxie Zeus was frikkin' wonderful. And they goddamn killed him. Lucky I can still use his character.

I like Garfield Lynns (Firefly) and he's not used enough... or well enough, I guess.

Ante up, Bitches!!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
A vast majority of rogues and supervillains, especially in Daredevil. Before the Frank Miller days, DD had The Owl, Gladiator, Killgrave, Death-Stalker, Mr. Hyde, and a few other decent adversaries (and a few goobers, who were still fun to read about.) Yeah, they appeared sporadically after St Miller, but they were at their best in the pre-Miller days. Most DD fans that I know don't like the rogues, and want everything to be the boring crime noir that Bendis focused a lot on.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
25+ posts
25+ posts
Tallyman died off too quick some people think...

Ante up, Bitches!!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
My favorite Bat-villains are Scarecrow and the Mad Hatter. I don't think they get enough press... especially Hatter.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
My favorite Bat-villains are Scarecrow and the Mad Hatter. I don't think they get enough press... especially Hatter.

Hatter had a good cameo in a recent Gotham Central story arc.

I’m very fond of Mr Branch from 100 Bullets. Most readers of that title, if asked to nominate their favourite character, would probably choose one of the Minutemen.

Branch is the polar opposite of the Minutemen: an overweight ex journalist, very much a victim of his own impulses. He gambles to the point where he owes money to people who are prepared to do him serious harm if he doesn’t pay them back. He’s a glutton. He lives in complete squalor. He’s sleazy and slightly devious.

The thing that I like most about him is that, like many characters in that title, he was given a gun with untraceable bullets and the identity of the person who ruined his life, but he didn’t use it. His drive to discover how someone could have the power to allow him to get away with murder was greater than his instinct for revenge. It doesn’t matter how many times he gets warned off. He can’t stop himself from asking questions.

While the minutemen are sharp-suited killers, Branch is basically a good guy even if his occasional attempts at being noble are as dishevelled and pathetic as the rest of his life

Last edited by backwards7; 2004-12-01 3:25 AM.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Woder Woman herself is quite obscure.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Busted Arse said:
Tallyman died off too quick some people think...

I know I do.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He'll be back.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Woder Woman herself is quite obscure.

Yeah, but more than a few care about her.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Who knew so many people liked Woder Woman.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Vext.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
How could anyone dislike a hot chick with a magic lasso?

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Waverider and the Linear Men.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Waverider. Jesus Christ. I thought his powers were sucked into Extant?

Quote:

Busted Arse said:
Maxie Zeus was frikkin' wonderful. And they goddamn killed him. Lucky I can still use his character.

What? Maxie Zeus is dead?

Outrageous.

There was a hero called The Swashbuckler who appeared in a single issue of Detective Comics, with Batman fighting the Riddler. He was described as the son of the Vigilante, who is pretty obscure anyway. I often wonder if someone will bring him back, but its been about 25 years so far....

Pimping my site, again.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I like Superman Junior, from ACTION COMICS #232 (September 1957).

Action Comics #232, the one and only appearance of Johnny Kirk, the amazing Superman, Junior!This character, whose name was Johnny Kirk, was sent away on a rocketship by his scientist father after he had noticed that a gigantic asteroid was on a collision course for Earth. He didn't notice until the rocketship took off that Superboy was there to stop it (and indeed he was completely unaware of the existence of Superboy due to his remote location), so little Johnny was lost, seemingly forever, especially after Superboy's search through space came up with nothing.

Anyway, Johnny Kirk grew up on an oxygen-bearing planetoid with no trouble at all due to some strange gas granting him super-powers exactly like those of Superboy. When he was around 12 to 14 he somehow came crashing to Earth, to be found by Superman (this happened a year or so before Supergirl's first appearance, which was quite similar). Anyway, Superman now finally learned what happened to little Johnny Kirk, but since Johnny's long-dead scientist-father had made Superboy swear to be Johnny's parent should he ever be found, Superman decided to "adopt" Johnny as his own. Since he was super-powered, he was given a Superman insignia to wear over the uniform he already wore (don't ask me where that came from -- I have no idea), and the team of Superman and Superman Junior was born.

Meanwhile, Superman assumed the name of Johnny's father, Morton Kirk, and settled in Smallville with Johnny posing as his son. It seemed as if things would continue on as they were, except for the fact that Superman was slowly losing his super-powers, one by one -- it seems as though Johnny had brought back a kind of "super-poison" in his ship, unbeknownst to either of them at the time, and this "super-poison" was acting like slow-acting Gold Kryptonite (which had not yet been introduced at the time) in that it was slowly removing Superman's powers. He kept this a secret, however, and resolved on really being Johnny's father, even as Superman Junior fully took over the duties of Superman due to the latter's eventual forced retirement.

Ultimately, Johnny discovered the truth about what was happening to Superman when Superman talked in his sleep (before you ask, yes -- they actually slept in the same room together, too, so for all we know Superman might make a good member of NAMBLA). Johnny immediately dashed out and found a rare magnetically-charged metal meteor and sent it crashing to Earth. Calling Superman over, he tricked him into touching one side of the meteor as he touched the other. Voila! The electromagnetic charge of the meteor transferred all of Johnny's super-powers to the now-powerless Superman just in time.

So now that Johnny Kirk had made this huge sacrifice, giving the super-powers he had had for almost all of his life to Superman for nothing in return, what does Superman do? He leaves little Johnny Kirk standing on a Smallville street corner as he returns to his old life of Clark Kent/Superman in Metropolis.

Johnny Kirk is never seen again. His ultimate fate remains unknown, yet we can safely assume he grew up emotionally scarred, first by his lonely upbringing separated from humanity and then his second abandonment by a Superman who had broken his promise to take care of him.

Lousy deadbeat dad.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sssh....Jeph Loeb could be reading this thread and Johnny Kirk could get brought back.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I wonder what became of Battlestar(aka "Bucky")from the "John Walker:Psycho Cap" storyline?Last I knew,he was part of Silver Sable's mercs-for-hire but nothing recent.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I thought he was a reserve member of the Avengers....

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
she could copy herself into an unlimited number of doppelgangers, travel through time and space

and space.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And time.

Onyx was a sidekick of Green Arrow. she was raised in a monestary and was expert with martial arts weapons. What exactly monks were doing with swords, nunchuks and sai is not clear, and why a black girl was raised by a bunch of men with vows of chastity is also not clear, but she got good at martial arts. She appeared in one four issue arc of a Green Arrow story in a back up of Detective Comics in the early 80s, never to be seen again. She is probably DC's only black heroine, too (at least, prior to Power Company), and so its a bit suprising no one has thought to revive her.

Pimping my site, again.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Actually, Onyx has been back for months now -- she's now in Gotham working for the Bat as his proxy in The Hill. Post-War Games, she's one of the few of Batman's allies still in Gotham...

300+ posts
300+ posts
Not to nitpick, but Vixen is another black heroine from DC... and I don't know if Amanda Waller counts.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Oops. Forgot about Vixen.

Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:
Actually, Onyx has been back for months now -- she's now in Gotham working for the Bat as his proxy in The Hill. Post-War Games, she's one of the few of Batman's allies still in Gotham...

Huzzah! She returns!

Batman has proxies? Since when has he become a gangster?

Pimping my site, again.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Since always. He's a gangster... of justice!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
IIRC, Chuck Dixon reportedly to use Onyx in Birds of Prey for years, but he was repeatedly turned down. Seems other people had plans for her.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Onyx would have been a good fit in that book. So would Katana, for that matter.

Pimping my site, again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Steve Pucell's Sam and Max.

I loved Sam and Max. Funniest goddam comic book I ever read.

The TV show wasn't very good, mostly because part of the appeal of the book was the over the top violence that can't be shown on Saturday AM TV (for example, Sam and Max pushing a wheelchair bound mackeral down a flight of stairs).

Unfortunately, Purcell figured out he made a hell of a lot more money doing videogames, etc., so no comics for over ten years.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Steve Pucell's Sam and Max.

I loved Sam and Max. Funniest goddam comic book I ever read.

The TV show wasn't very good, mostly because part of the appeal of the book was the over the top violence that can't be shown on Saturday AM TV (for example, Sam and Max pushing a wheelchair bound mackeral down a flight of stairs).

Unfortunately, Purcell figured out he made a hell of a lot more money doing videogames, etc., so no comics for over ten years.

This is a coincidence. I'm writing something for the Arcade room about Max's numerous guest appearances in Lucus Art games.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
In junior high, I had a friend that was big into Sam & Max. He loaned me some of his copies one day. Funny shit. I've never seen any other copies of it anywhere.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Sam & Max have something to do with the Monkey Island saga. Maybe it's just that they're both Lucas Arts games, but it could be that they were created by the same guy. I can't remember. Though I seem to recall the guy who created MI was called Ron Jeremy. Anyway, they make lots of guests appereances at the MI games.

Link Copied to Clipboard