Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
From SpiderFan.org, a review of Spectacular Spider-Man Issue 20.

Quote:

Are you kidding me? I was actually enjoying this storyline before reading this atrocity. But now, despite fairly solid art by Paco Medina and Juan Vlasco, this issue is garbage. Paul Jenkins, please tell me it wasn't your idea... It must've been a decision from the higher-ups, or something... or maybe a titanic team-up of Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanagh kidnapped Jenkins and wrote this story in his stead. Because I expect better than this absolute mistake of an idea from Paul Jenkins.

Organic web-shooters? Insect freakin' telepathy? I'm not even going to get into the organic web-shooters. Marvel for some reason seems to think that the Spider-Man movie and comics have to be the same, which results in this mess. Why Spidey needed organic web-shooters in the movie in the first place, I have no idea. And insect telepathy? Are you serious??? I'm not reading Ant-Man! I just love how they actually had the insect telepathy play a big part in this story, and then just tried to kinda sneak the organic web-shooters in there. It's like Marvel's saying, "The fans will be so mad about the telepathy thing, they won't even notice the web-shooters!"

I can't believe that this happened. It's a disgrace to the character. Spider- Man's worked pretty well for forty years now, but suddenly we need to change this? To me, this is like DC deciding to make Batman blind and give him bat- like sonar powers. It's stupid and pointless. The character is great, and all that this does is make the loyal, long-time fans angry. And I don't imagine that too many new readers are going to be enticed by the fact that Spider-Man can now read the minds of earwigs.

Now I'm so tired from all that grumping that I'm not even gonna get into the fact that the whole Peter Parker being reborn scene this issue didn't make any sense.

Thoughts?

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:

Quote:

...I'm not even going to get into the organic web-shooters. Marvel for some reason seems to think that the Spider-Man movie and comics have to be the same, which results in this mess. Why Spidey needed organic web-shooters in the movie in the first place, I have no idea.

Ummm... good job on not getting into the organic web-shooters.

Anywho, I agree. Organic web-shooters is a stupid idea. I hated it in the movie, and I hate it an infinitessimal amount more in the comic book. Stupid.

Insect telepathy I don't mind as much. I really wouldn't mind it at all if it made sense. I mean, spiders aren't insects. Like, no doy!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
It depends on what the writers do with it... Modern comics are so lame I'd take buttcheeks on Superman's face if it made things more interesting. For example, if Morrie did this to Spider-Man, few people would complain, because original stories would be assured.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Which reminds me that writers taking a character's powers to their logical extreme have often made the characters more interesting in the past, like Swamp Thing turning into an elemental.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't like mixing comics with other media representations if the comic is the source material for no other reason than that's the way it is on the TV show, movie, whatever. I did like the organic web-shooters in the movies, though. Made more sense than some high school jackass capable of creating his very own super fluid in his attic that the world's multi-billion dollar polymer industry couldn't but still can't come up with something else to ease his and Aunt May's money problems.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said: For example, if Morrie did this to Spider-Man, few people would complain, because original stories would be assured.

Someone obviously doesn't remember all the X-fans that bitched about Morrie's X-Men run because it wasn't the same old rehashing that they'd gotten for years. . .

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
X-Men fans are bitches though....

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
True.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said: For example, if Morrie did this to Spider-Man, few people would complain, because original stories would be assured.

Someone obviously doesn't remember all the X-fans that bitched about Morrie's X-Men run because it wasn't the same old rehashing that they'd gotten for years. . .

I just bitched because Quietly drew all their faces like cumwads.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Didn't the telepathy start early in JMS's run on Amazing?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
What doesn't make sense is that a Spider is an Arachnid and not an insect. So... the insect telepathy really doesn't fit.

Hey, I'm all for Marvel taking gambles, especially with their flagship character, but this could have used a little more research and thought, I think.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I hated the organic webbing at first when I saw it in the movie......however I have really warmed up to it and actually prefer it now.......but then again I also liked the clone saga.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I may be the only one that will agree with you on the clone saga. I liked parts of it.

Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
I liked how it started.... it sorta detoriated over time.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Yeah the end was just so-so........but everything leading up to it was kick ass.

500+ posts
500+ posts
I love Spidey. The "organic" stuff works. The spider-sense works as well. We are talking about a mix of spider & human. I have more a problem with how powerful Batman is. I also love to look at how Superman has become what he has over time. By the way, Cap would have killed Bats in the Avengers/JLA fight they had. HANDS DOWN!!! lol

Life is short,,,, make it count......
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
No. Cap wouldn't. Because Batman would fight dirty if he had to.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Quote:

Mr. Lesbo said:
I love Spidey. The "organic" stuff works. The spider-sense works as well. We are talking about a mix of spider & human. I have more a problem with how powerful Batman is. I also love to look at how Superman has become what he has over time. By the way, Cap would have killed Bats in the Avengers/JLA fight they had. HANDS DOWN!!! lol

We're not talking Spider Sense... he can communicate with Insects. Like... with brain waves... this is new, basically.

And Cap A v. Bats has nothing to do with Spider-Powers.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:
What doesn't make sense is that a Spider is an Arachnid and not an insect. So... the insect telepathy really doesn't fit.

Hey, I'm all for Marvel taking gambles, especially with their flagship character, but this could have used a little more research and thought, I think.

The main difference betwen an insect and an arachnid is two legs and a large thorax. DNA -wise, I don't think there is a huge difference (couple of %).

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

Kaz said:

The main difference betwen an insect and an arachnid is two legs and a large thorax. DNA -wise, I don't think there is a huge difference (couple of %).

If memory serves, the difference in DNA between arachnid and insect is larger than the difference between man and ape.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Out
of
your
mind.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

Jeremy said:
I may be the only one that will agree with you on the clone saga. I liked parts of it.

I liked it too, sorta, and I began reading comics again when the clone saga had begone

Racks be to MisterJLA
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

Kaz said:

If memory serves, the difference in DNA between arachnid and insect is larger than the difference between man and ape.

Yep, but we're.... fuck, whatever. Seems to me the problem is with the nomenclature, not the power.

Pimping my site, again.

Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Yep, but we're.... fuck, whatever. Seems to me the problem is with the nomenclature, not the power.

We're not getting into semantics, we're just saying if we like the idea or not.

If you mean, calling it Arachnid Telepathy instead of Insect Telepathy... Spidey actually speaks to some ants... So, it IS Insect Telepathy.

Last edited by Kaz; 2005-01-22 2:51 AM.
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:

Quote:

Are you kidding me? I was actually enjoying this storyline before reading this atrocity. But now, despite fairly solid art by Paco Medina and Juan Vlasco, this issue is garbage. Paul Jenkins, please tell me it wasn't your idea... It must've been a decision from the higher-ups, or something... or maybe a titanic team-up of Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanagh kidnapped Jenkins and wrote this story in his stead. Because I expect better than this absolute mistake of an idea from Paul Jenkins.

Organic web-shooters? Insect freakin' telepathy? I'm not even going to get into the organic web-shooters. Marvel for some reason seems to think that the Spider-Man movie and comics have to be the same, which results in this mess. Why Spidey needed organic web-shooters in the movie in the first place, I have no idea. And insect telepathy? Are you serious??? I'm not reading Ant-Man! I just love how they actually had the insect telepathy play a big part in this story, and then just tried to kinda sneak the organic web-shooters in there. It's like Marvel's saying, "The fans will be so mad about the telepathy thing, they won't even notice the web-shooters!"

I can't believe that this happened. It's a disgrace to the character. Spider- Man's worked pretty well for forty years now, but suddenly we need to change this? To me, this is like DC deciding to make Batman blind and give him bat- like sonar powers. It's stupid and pointless. The character is great, and all that this does is make the loyal, long-time fans angry. And I don't imagine that too many new readers are going to be enticed by the fact that Spider-Man can now read the minds of earwigs.

Now I'm so tired from all that grumping that I'm not even gonna get into the fact that the whole Peter Parker being reborn scene this issue didn't make any sense.

Thoughts?

How about this:"You've gotta be @#$%^* kidding!"

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
To the best of my knowledge spiders aren't actually telepathic. I don't see how Peter Parker can inherit an arachnid trait that doesn't exist in the first place.

Most insects communicate with one another using pheromones.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Kaz said:

Quote:

Thoughts?

Another pointless post by oakley.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
With all due respect,rex,when it comes to pointless posts you could give seminars on that.

Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Quote:

backwards7 said:
To the best of my knowledge spiders aren't actually telepathic. I don't see how Peter Parker can inherit an arachnid trait that doesn't exist in the first place.

I'm not trying to defend the idea but Parker didn't inherit the power. A character named The Queen kissed Spider-Man and he turned into a giant spider... sometime later, after reverting to normal, he had the new webshooters and telepathy. His power hasn't evolved, this is something that was given to him during the Avengers Disassembled.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:Someone obviously doesn't remember all the X-fans that bitched about Morrie's X-Men run because it wasn't the same old rehashing that they'd gotten for years. . .

I said people.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Kaz said:

Quote:

Thoughts?

You've got no tact, Chris, no tact at all.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Out
of
your
mind.

No. I'm not. Batman would trounce Cap. Cap would be too busy making some kind of stirring speech about America and the human spirit.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Kaz Offline OP
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Besides... Bats would have Prep time.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Out
of
your
mind.

No. I'm not. Batman would trounce Cap. Cap would be too busy making some kind of stirring speech about America and the human spirit.

And being terribly gay.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Out
of
your
mind.

And being terribly gay.

which is why Cap would win, because we all know that Batman is terribly homophobic

Racks be to MisterJLA
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'd buy the organic web gimmick in the context of the alien symbiote. But if it's organic to make him more like a real spider - he has to shoot the webs out of his ass.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

backwards7 said:

Exactly right. Spider-woman apparently has some sort of pheremonal power, so its been conisdered before.

Upon reconsideration, why turn the character into insect-Aquaman? "I talk to bugs." This is stupid.

Pimping my site, again.

25+ posts
25+ posts
It's all a bit icky for me - anyway, shouldn't he be shooting spider-goo from his arse?

A helmet Cosmic Boy once wore
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
I'd buy the organic web gimmick in the context of the alien symbiote. But if it's organic to make him more like a real spider - he has to shoot the webs out of his ass.

Snap!

A critic of the first movie in Vanity Fair was the first person I was aware of who pointed this out.

Spiders don't shoot web from their butthole, though. Spiders generate webs by organs called spinnerets, located underneath their abdomen. They are located there I assume because the silk is generated from stuff the spider eats. So the spinnerets need to be near the spider's digestive tract. Wrist mounted spinnerets make no logical sense. A belly button spinneret makes great sense, and a spinneret located near (but not in) Spidey's arsehole makes perfect sense.

Pimping my site, again.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Ohhhh thanks, so that's what a spinnaret is - John Byrne had a Fantastic Four villain called Spinnaret and I assumed it was something to do with a laundromat.

A helmet Cosmic Boy once wore
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard