rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The toddler who cannot feel pain

Quote:

Like any other toddler, Ben Whittaker has had his fair share of bumps and bruises. The difference is he doesn't feel any pain.
The 17-month-old from Royston, Yorkshire, is only the 33rd person ever to be diagnosed with the condition.

When Ben fractured his heel bone, he ran around as if nothing was wrong, and he shed no tears after pulling out a tooth.

His parents, Wayne and Joanne, say they cannot let him out of their sight.

The couple first noticed that Ben was different to other toddlers when he was nine months old. He took a hot chip from his father's plate and blistered three fingers - without showing any signs of distress.

The health visitor suggested there may be something unusual about the way Ben dealt with pain.

The toddler then broke his heel bone while he was playing at home.

When he was taken to hospital for treatment, doctors saw Ben running around despite having a plaster cast on his foot.

Wayne Whittaker told the BBC News Website the doctors had said Ben would have been "in agony" if he had been an adult.

'It makes things difficult'

After a series of tests at Sheffield Children's Hospital, Ben was diagnosed as having congenital indifference to pain, an incredibly rare condition.

Experts have suggested it could be caused by the failure of a substance called betaendorphin, which occurs naturally in the body and modulates pain sensations.

Mr Whittaker said: "It was a case of putting two and two together. He didn't cry when he banged his head, and he didn't cry when he had his inoculations.

"He may feel no pain at all, or he may feel pain differently to other children. We won't know until he can communicate."

He said the condition was becoming more of a problem as Ben got older.

"When he was a baby, it didn't really affect him. But when he started to crawl, and now he can walk and run, it does. He keeps banging his head, but it doesn't bother him."

Ben is healthy in all other ways, and has a toddler's natural curiosity - meaning he is at the stage where he is keen to climb and explore.

Mr Whittaker said the couple were terrified Ben would put his hand into the fire or burn himself on the radiator - but not feel anything.

The couple have another child, Katie, who is three months old, and Wayne said it could be difficult for his wife Joanne to keep an eye on Ben.

Mr Whittaker added: "It obviously makes things difficult. But you just can't let him out of your sight."

Doctors have told them there is nothing they can do to alleviate Ben's condition, and it is something he will have to live with. They have been warned it is possible Katie will also be affected.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Isn't feeling no pain a sign of autism?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I don't think so... Maybe if you were talking about emotions.

This is very dangerous for the kid... he's never gonna learn what hurts him and what doesn't.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

rex said:

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Because I'm not completely sure if it is or if it isn't.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Because I'm not completely sure if it is or if it isn't.

I was quoting the first "X-Men" movie.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
haha! dumb ass!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
pay attention reax.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I will bring you hope.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Don't fear God senator.

And certainly don't fear me.

Not anymore.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
X Men Assemble!

For Great Justice!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
keep this kid away from pools!
"there was only one survivor"

i understand all the implications of this affliction, and how disasterous it can all be, but... i can't help thinking of it as a great comic book story line.

think of how different he'll grow up!

all those times we went through rudamentary learning processes; knowing not to touch a hot stove, learning why you shouldn't climb too high on a ladder, understanding why you have to wait until your soup cooled down... this little boy will never adapt any of those skills. and, because of that, he'll feel invincible.

however, because the human body seems to consistantly strive for balance, i imagine that his emotional and psychological scorn might be all the more traumatic.

imagine being able to fall down a flight of stairs, or get hit by a car without trouble... but then get dumped by your girlfriend, or suffer the loss of a loved one.

amazing.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm sure the kid's bones will still break.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
keep this kid away from pools!
"there was only one survivor"

i understand all the implications of this affliction, and how disasterous it can all be, but... i can't help thinking of it as a great comic book story line.

think of how different he'll grow up!

all those times we went through rudamentary learning processes; knowing not to touch a hot stove, learning why you shouldn't climb too high on a ladder, understanding why you have to wait until your soup cooled down... this little boy will never adapt any of those skills. and, because of that, he'll feel invincible.

however, because the human body seems to consistantly strive for balance, i imagine that his emotional and psychological scorn might be all the more traumatic.

imagine being able to fall down a flight of stairs, or get hit by a car without trouble... but then get dumped by your girlfriend, or suffer the loss of a loved one.

amazing.

The reason I broght up autism is because my nephew has it. For the first couple years he had no reaction to pain at all. Over the last year he has been reacting to pain. I think he might have something related to what the kid in the article has.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Don't the ones that feel no pain always turn into the bad guys?

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
no, that's the ones whose bones break with the slightest pressure.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Th' kids.... they call'd me Mister Glass.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Don't the ones that feel no pain always turn into the bad guys?

No, the ones to truely fear are the psosiopaths(sp), those that have no remores, will inflict harm on themselves and blame it on others, will kill and not think anything of it. There was a L&O SVU with a kid, around 11 or so, like that. It was pretty creepy in a sense, watching this kid claim others were his abusers, when he was the prime suspect in murder of a 6 year old, I think was his age. When the victim's father realized the kid was a psosiopath (the dad is a psychologist and recomended a camp for this kid, also the kid's neighbor), he killed him and claimed he didn't know what he was doing. He put that show on, knowing just what to do, what do say, in order to get out of it because the kid was being sent to Juvie or some other slap on the wrist. Basically there was nothing you could do to help/cure people like that. They will just as easily kill again.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Haven't there been a bunch of people who've demonstrated a bunch of weird powers this pas year?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
Well fuck, elephants are now taking craps in toilets.

Why not 'mutantkind is emerging'...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
This doesn't cut it as a bona fide super power.
The kid could lose a limb or lose an eye because he lacks the pain receptors or whatever that the rest of us have. Pain is what makes us pull our hand away from a hot stove or broken glass.

If the boy were truly invulnerable, then that would be something else. I hope he'll be alright.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In "Ten Nights of the Beast" (or the sequel with the NKVDemon, I can't remember which) the villain had his nerve endings severed so he couldn't feel pain, making him a better assassin.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

rex said:

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?

No, but it is a symptom of leprocy. Do they still have leper colonies?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
A child in Minnesota has this. She was down to one eye & chewed up most of her tongue because she couldn't feel any pain.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard