Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
...and I wanna know: is ebay even worth it anymore?

I'm just trying to pare down some of my collection. Probably got 500 to 1000 books I can stand to lose...

Full run Hellblazer and related stuff
Wonder Woman (Jimenez and Rucka issues)
Variuous Vertigo stuff; Losers, Human Target, Midnight Mass, Bite Club, etc. Electra
NYX 1-5
Captain Marvel (Peter David full run)
Incredible Hulk (Bruce Jones issues)
Possibly Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-Men full runs.
Maybe The Authority (vol. 1 full run)
Other various stuff.

All bagged and boarded and in excellent condition.

Problem is...ebay is so different from when I sold back in the day (last stuff I sold on eBay was in mid 2001). Back then, you could get a half decent price for stuff. Now it seems like the only stuff that even gets bids is that CGC graded crap. And I'll be damned if I spend 15 or 20 bucks to have some book slabbed just so some asshole can pay to NOT be able to read it.

Anyhow, I'm not looking to sell cuz I wanna get rich...though extra money is always nice. I'm just not trying to give the shit away. If I want to do that, I'll just donate them to the local childrens hospital; I've done that before and it's a lot less work than having to ship comics all over the world for peanuts.

Are any of you still dealing with ebay and, if so, is it worth the time? I know some of what I'm planning to sell is bullshit but, some of it is desirable and I don't want to waste my time if I can't get a reasonable return.

Let me know what's up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
It might be worth it to get Ultimate Spider-Man 1 graded. If its in good condition you could get a lot for it.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Yaeh, I know. That one and also NYX #3 are the really hot books. Though Hellblazer #27 and a couple of others get a decent price if they're graded high enough.

I just object to that shit on principle.
Comics are for reading and enjoying...not to be sealed in plastic and traded about for ridiculous sums of money.

Like I said...I'm not trying to get rich. I'd really just like to sell my comics to someone that appreciates them, will read them and will pay a fair price for them.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Ask bsams for advice on making your ebay sale interesting.

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Suddenly, I'm hearing the theme music to Deliverance...

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I tried selling some old X-men books recently. I did get a bid on one lot, but it was ridiculously low.

People go to ebay for bargains, not to pay fair price. I don't buy comics from ebay, either, after being US$420 out of pocket a few years back and subsequently receiving a notice of bankruptcy in the mail.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Consider that I think a fair price is probably 1/2 to 2/3 of cover. For books that are in great shape. I mean, I realize that some of these books you could find in the dollar boxes at some fairly large conventions but,most of them are pretty decent.

It's a damn shame if the only way to get even close to a decent price is to price gouge by having the books graded and slabbed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Consider that I think a fair price is probably 1/2 to 2/3 of cover. For books that are in great shape.

Yeah, sure, but most people seem to want big runs on popular stuff - X-men, Sandman - for $20 or less.

If I do a large tpb order nowadays, I do it through Grasshopper Comics, who offer free shipping and a bulk discount. I don't go through ebay.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Yeah...I guess.

I'm still doing the research on what I have to sell. I'm in no big hurry. Unlike the last time I sold stuff, I don't really need the money right now. If it looks like I'll do O.K. then I'll sell. If not, fuck it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
People go to ebay for bargains, not to pay fair price.

He's dead on.

People use stuff for ebay for comics for:
a) bargains (getting something to complete your collection really on the cheap)
b) rare finds

Nobody uses ebay to pay a fair market price for comics unless it's something really collectible.

We all wear a green carnation.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

THE Bastard said:
Consider that I think a fair price is probably 1/2 to 2/3 of cover.

Probably not gonna get that on the stuff you listed. Ultimate Spider-man and X-men were going for absolute shit loads about a year or so ago when i was looking at them on ebay, just watch some of the auctions that are similar to yours and weigh it up when you see the final price
I did buy Peter Davids Captain Marvel stuff off ebay about 6 months ago, got #1-36, 1-19 of his respective series' for $50, not that good from a selling POV.....

Check out some comic shop sites and ask them if they want to buy some of your full runs, if they want in they should offer you a lot more than eBay ever would

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I always make my starting price the rock bottom I'm willing to part with the books for and not want to commit suicide; that's my strategy. If they don't sell then I'm out a couple of bucks and that's all. I usually just trade in popular or older stuff to my store for credit if I ever want to part ways and make room and such (since they won't trade in for anything they have several copies of--who can blame them).

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
I hear and appreciate what all of you are saying but, it looks like I'm gonna have to sell all the afore-mentioned books and many others to afford all the cool swag coming out in the next few months or so...

Sucks to be a guy with a serious Bat-Man jones and disposable income that now needs to go to a kid and house.

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

Link Copied to Clipboard