Print Thread
The somewhat random
2000+ posts
OP Offline
The somewhat random
2000+ posts
right now!

You Butter Believe it!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
worst. vanhalen song. ever.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
worst. vanhalen song. ever.

The song is a message about living in the moment. It came at a time of worldwide political change, especially in Eastern Europe and The Soviet Union.

In 1993, this was used in commercials for Crystal Pepsi, a clear cola. The commercials were good, but the product was a huge flop as consumers decided they would rather not see through their soft drink. The group was criticized for "selling out" when the ads came out, but they did it because Pepsi was going to use the song with or without them. Pepsi got the rights to the song, and would have had a sound-alike group record it. Van Halen figured it was best to let them use their version and at least get paid for it.

For some people, this song will always be associated with Crystal Pepsi. Trying to capitalize on the trend toward clear beverages (remember Zima?), Pepsi pushed their clear cola hard. It flopped worse than ""New Coke"" and was soon pulled from shelves, despite a massive advertising push. Saturday Night Live did a great skit where they introduced ""Crystal Gravy."" When the ""Remember the '90s"" shows start coming out, bottles of this stuff will be in demand.

The writers of a song called "The Right Now Collection" sued the band, claiming the title was too similar to theirs.

The album was out for 8 months before this was released as a single. It did not chart well, but the album went to #1.

In 1993, Van Halen released their first live album. It was called Live: Right Here, Right Now.

The first letters of the album title spell out a naughty word. This was intentional.
The old phone number of a friend of the band was written on the album cover. It belonged to a family in Tulsa, who got besieged by phone calls and sued the band.

The video won for Best Video, Best Editing, and Best Direction at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards.

Carolyn Mayer Beug, who also worked with Rod Stewart and Dwight Yoakam, directed the video. She was on board flight 11, which was hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I get up, and nothing gets me down.
You got it tough. I've seen the toughest around.
And I know, baby, just how you feel.
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real
Oh can't you see me standing here,
I've got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen.
Oh can't you see what I mean ?
Might as well jump. Jump !
Might as well jump.
Go ahead, jump. Jump !
Go ahead, jump.
Aaa-ohh Hey you ! How said that ?
Baby how you been ?
You say you don't know, you won't know
until we begin.
Well can't you see me standing here,
I've got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen.
Oh can't you see what I mean ?
Go ahead, jump.
Go ahead, jump.
(guitar solo)
(keyboard solo)
Go ahead, jump.
Get it and jump. Jump !
Go ahead, jump

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

Link Copied to Clipboard