rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
link

Quote:

Microsoft's J Allard will use GDC keynote address to announce key features of the next-generation Xbox.
The annual Game Developers Conference (GDC), which is being held in San Francisco this week, will get under way shortly with a keynote address from Microsoft's corporate vice president, J Allard, in which he plans to announce some of the key features of the next-generation Xbox. Allard will also comment on Microsoft's vision for the future of entertainment, which he believes will be fueled by demand for video game experiences that are always connected, always personalized, and always in high-definition.

"In the HD Era, the platform is bigger than the processor," reads a quote from Allard in a mistimed press release. "New technology and emerging consumer forces will come together to enable the rock stars of game development to shake up the old establishment and redefine entertainment as we know it."

The big news, of course, is that Allard will use the keynote address to announce key features of Microsoft's successor to the Xbox, which is referred to in the press release only as the "next-generation Xbox." Specifically, Allard plans to release the first details about the next-generation Xbox guide, which is described as a gateway that will instantly connect players to their games, their friends, and their digital media.

Key features of the guide, as described in today's press release, will include:

Gamer Cards: Gamer Cards provide gamers with a quick look at key Xbox Live information. They let players instantly connect with people who have similar skills, interests and lifestyles.

Marketplace: Browsable by game, by genre, and in a number of other ways, the Marketplace will provide a one-stop shop for consumers to acquire episodic content, new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins and new community-created content.

Micro-transactions: Breaking down barriers of small-ticket online commerce, micro-transactions will allow developers and the gaming community to charge as little as they like for content they create and publish on Marketplace. Imagine players slapping down $.99 to buy a one-of-a-kind, fully tricked-out racing car to be the envy of their buddies.

Custom playlists: This feature eliminates the need for developers to support custom music in games. The guide instantly connects players to their music so they can listen to their own tracks while playing all their favorite next-generation Xbox games.

By supporting features such as custom playlists, friends lists, and voice chat at a chip level, Microsoft hopes to allow developers to focus on creating games rather than on developing for technical certification requirements. The next-generation Xbox hardware is designed around a number of key principles, the following of which are taken straight from today's press release:

A well-balanced system that will deliver more than a teraflop of targeted computing performance.

A multicore processor architecture co-developed with IBM Corp. that provides developer "headroom" and flexibility for the HD Era.

A custom-designed graphics processor co-developed with ATI Technologies Inc. designed for HD Era games and entertainment applications.

In addition, familiar software technologies such as DirectX, PIX, XACT and the recently announced XNA Studio--an integrated team-based development environment tailored for game production--complement the new hardware to help game developers unlock increasingly powerful and complex silicon.

We'll bring you more information on the next-generation Xbox after J Allard's keynote, which, at the time of writing, is scheduled to start in a little under an hour.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
It's crazy . . . but I've been thinking about the next version of the Xbox for a few months now. Pat's Xbox is shot to hell. It won't play any of the sporting games (they have a tendancy to freeze up the entire system) and barely plays the kids games (Dance Revolution, Soul Caliber 2, etc.) . . . but that's a moot point anyway since the boys have trashed the plugs for the controllers.

I just wish there was some info out about a potential price range for it . . . so I know how much I have to save up for every week.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'd say $300. That now seems like the normal launch price. It could be less if Microsoft wants to start a price war, which they definitely have the money to do.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Isn't the projected price for the PS3 somewhere close to $400?

If the XB2 is gonna be around $300 that's definately doable by Christmas time . . . as well as a game or two I hope.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I don't think the PS3 will be $400, unless it will do a lot more than play games.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
odds are, $250-350 is the range all three next-gen systems will fit in.

there's nothing known at this time (the earliest official price for xbox 2 would be released in may, at e3), but thats the general opinion, based on the genre's track record.

giant picture
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I read a couple months ago that all three companies have given up on making a profit off the consoles. The best thing for them to do is price the consoles at $300 or less.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
nintendo actually profited from the cube.

ps2 knew it could afford a loss and make it up, handsomely, in software sales.

microsoft lost a bundle with the xbox hardware. the amount of high-end power in the system, coupled with the hard drive (even aside from the "reach for the skies" advertising cost), really sliced at their pockets. but every company has learned from their current system, and much of that cost knowledge has gone into xbox 2. that means excluding some items, rethinking others, and being significantly tighter with their piggy banks.

giant picture
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
One of the reasons the Gamecube made a profit was they used their own media. Since the PS2 and the X-Box can play DVDs and CDs, they have to pay some sort of licensing fee.
The PS2 started earning Sony money after it had been out for a while. Thats one of the reasons Sony switched to the new PS2, they could use cheaper parts.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i wasn't counting the media for the gamecube profit -- just hardware. though a little too cutesy for the audience, the gamecube's design was amazingly efficient.

giant picture
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I meant the GameCube console was able to make a better profit because Nintendo didn't have to pay licencing fees for DVD and CDs. Sony and Microsoft had to pay licensing fees because the PS2 and X-Box are able to play DVDs and CDs.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Hey boys . . . can we get back to the actual topic of this thread?

Anyway . . . can either of you translate this geek stuff for me so I can understand it? So, when the info starts coming out what I guess I want to know is . . . what'll be different, what'll be better and what will be gone.

Am I making any sense?

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

500+ posts
500+ posts
Its gonna kill me waiting, but judging from the price drops all the current consoles experienced, theres no way im going to shed out what they will most likely want as its launching price

Isnt the PS3 meant to be 5 times more powerful than the PS2, or was that all made up crap that i read? Really suprised me recently when i went back and completeld Metal Gear Solid 1, the way the games, cut-scenes in-particular, have evolved over a relatively short amount of time is pretty amazing

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
I read a couple months ago that all three companies have given up on making a profit off the consoles.

Thats pretty much how its always been going right back to the original Sega & Nintendo consoles!
Games have always been where the money is!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
Hey boys . . . can we get back to the actual topic of this thread?

says the girl who initially changed the direction...

Quote:

Bianca said:
can either of you translate this geek stuff for me so I can understand it? So, when the info starts coming out what I guess I want to know is . . . what'll be different, what'll be better and what will be gone.

the truth is, no one knows. anything we do now will be pure speculation.

its logical to think each of the three new systems will debut at $250-$350, simply because thats the standard they've set in the genre. however, its more than possible it could debut at $100 or $500.

its logical to think games will average $50-$60, simply because thats the standard they've set in the genre. however, its more than possible they could debut at $30 or $100.

the next gen systems will all play video games, and more than likely all three will have a similar take on gaming as their current generation, i.e; you'll see halo 3 on xbox 2.

for any more info, you could check out http://xbox.ign.com, which has collected a bundle of rumors and reports, here and there. but, realistically, for firm details, you'll have to wait until may's e3 expo, where xbox2 will be formerly introduced.

giant picture
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
That's why I said, "When the info starts coming out..." you doofus.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
aye, but there's already info out, like at the ign site. additionally, of the remaining still-unknown info, roughly 50% can be predicted with educated guesses, listed above.

giant picture
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
Isn't the projected price for the PS3 somewhere close to $400?

If the XB2 is gonna be around $300 that's definately doable by Christmas time . . . as well as a game or two I hope.

I don't think XB2 will be out by Christmas.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
All three are supposed to be out by christmas.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
no, xbox 2 is supposed to be released in the states by christmas 2005.

ps3 and nintendo revolution are supposed to be released sometime in 2006 (probably christmas season)

giant picture
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
i wasn't counting the media for the gamecube profit -- just hardware. though a little too cutesy for the audience, the gamecube's design was amazingly efficient.

Nintendo made money but game makers chose to drop them due to the "disk" that "N" went with and the fact that GC sales weren't that strong. Pick up most game mags and see GAME COMPANIES make games for the PS2 & X-Box. NO one will survive being a "game only" machine. Those days are gone folks. Sony made that point clear with the PS2.

Life is short,,,, make it count......
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7464620/

Next Xbox to debut on MTV in a month
Unusual unveiling takes place ahead of E3 trade show

Updated: 12:28 p.m. ET April 11, 2005

LOS ANGELES - Microsoft Corp. Monday said it would unveil the next generation of its Xbox video game console in a May 12 special on cable music and entertainment channel MTV.

The unveiling will be a first, as video game companies usually take the wraps off their new consoles at the industry trade show E3 -- which will be held the following week in Los Angeles.

Microsoft said the special would also air in Japan the morning of May 13 and across Europe that evening. Actor Elijah Wood will host the show.

The special will include footage of next-generation Xbox games and also online play, Microsoft said.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7435322/

New Xbox games to come through 2007
Old console to be supported after debut of successor

Updated: 8:59 p.m. ET April 8, 2005

LOS ANGELES - New games for Microsoft Corp.'s current Xbox video game console will debut through 2007, Microsoft said Friday, even as it prepares for the expected imminent release of an Xbox successor.

While Microsoft has not committed to a release date for the new console, code-named "Xenon," the industry universally expects it sometime at the end of 2005.

In a release on developers who will make games for that next-generation hardware, the company said "Microsoft is fully committed to this (current) generation and gamers can expect an amazing pipeline of titles into 2007."

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/03/news_6123491.html

Gates: Next Xbox coming "this year"

Microsoft's chairman confirms that his company's next-generation console will arrive in 2005; sends mixed multimedia messages.
    For the better part of a year, the game industry has been working under the assumption that Microsoft will release its next-generation Xbox at the end of 2005. Now, it appears that has been confirmed by none other than the chairman of Microsoft himself, Bill Gates.

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Gates let the console's ship date slip while speaking to the convention of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers in Seattle. While discussing when the mainstream would begin adopting high-definition televisions, Gates posed the following rhetorical question: "What will the year of high-definition be? This year, because we're going to ship this next Xbox."

Though the wording of Gates' statement is clear, as of press time, Microsoft had not returned requests for further comment.

While speaking to the same conference, Gates also said the next Xbox, which he referred to only as "Xenon," would serve as a media hub. According to the Associated Press, he said its user interface would be akin to a pared-down version of that of Windows Media Center. "If you're used to that menu, when you use this Xenon you'll see a menu a lot like that that lets you get photos, TV, music, and all those different things," said Gates.

Gates' comments contradict somewhat those given in a one-on-one interview with tech site Engadget. There, he downplayed the "Xenon's" role, saying Windows Media Center PCs remain the cornerstone of Microsoft's home-entertainment strategy. "The high-end scenario for us is you've got Media Center PC, that's where your state is, but then you've got your Xenon out that are connecting up to that," he said. However, Gates did say that the console would "be able to do a lot of media things including storing music, playing music, connect up your player."

The next-generation Xbox, which will almost certainly be called the Xbox 360, will be formally unveiled next Thursday night on MTV.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
huh. odd that he calls it "xenon" when, as the article later states, everyone else calls it "xbox 360" -- the smarter name for two reasons;

1) it maintains the "xbox" branding
2) the "360" number sounds higher (and thus, 'newer') than the 3 in playstation. ... sounds retarded, i know, but its actually true and a good strategy (vs, say, releasing "xbox 2" next to "playstation 3")

that aside...

i like the fact that microsoft is focusing on all great online things and internet connectivity, but... the fact that the system is becoming even more so like a computer and worse, even more so like windows... thats frightening.

downloading patches, media center-type interfaces... i hate that.

damn you, microsoft!

giant picture
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Just came across this, for those of you who are folowing this. Television special.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Xbox 360 pictures leaked, peripherals and customization revealed

Snapshot from taping of MTV special shows console, controller, headset, and camera add-on; Ourcolony.net pic shows hardware skins.

Though the MTV special showing off the Xbox 360 won't air until this Thursday, it was actually shot last Thursday in Los Angeles. And while the 200-odd attendees were asked not to reveal the secrets they were privy to at the event, naturally a few couldn’t help but spill the beans.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, those few were also armed with digital cameras, and snapped pictures of the Xbox 360 console. The photo of the console confirmed the authenticity of earlier earlier pictures, showing a silver, slightly concave shaped console which looks almost as though it is designed to sit atop the slightly convex current-generation Xbox. It also confirmed the so-called "ring of light" theory, which had said the device would sport an oversized power button surrounded by a ring of LEDs, as well as that it would sport two slots for 64MB memory cards and one for a 40GB hard drive on the console's side.

Besides the Xbox 360 itself, the leaked snapshot showed three peripherals, including its controller. The controller pictured was clearly the same as that shown in pictures "leaked" by the Microsoft-associated teaser site Ourcolony.net. That site also recently released another picture of the controller, which shows the controller in more detail, including what appears to be the new Xbox logo--the same globular insignia featured in a shot leaked months previous. It also shows what appears to be a charging port on the bottom of the console.

Besides the controller, the other Xbox 360 peripherals pictured in the leaked photo were an apparently wireless headset and an EyeToy-like camera. The latter recalls the add-on mentioned by Microsoft corporate Vice President and Chief XNA Architect J Allard at last year's E3, one which, as evidenced by Allard's demonstrative chit-chat with Jenny McCarthy, would allow Xbox Live subscribers to videoconference with each other.

Another photo leaked from the event shows a DVD remote for the Xbox 360 which, besides re-confirming the globular Xbox logo, appears to have some sort of Windows functionality. Beneath the traditional X/Y/A/B button configuration is a button with the distinctive Windows logo. Given recent comments by Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, it is likely that the insignia means that at least one version of the Xbox 360 will have Windows Media Center functionality.

Last but not least, a new image leaked on Ourcolony.net indicates that the Xbox 360 will have customizable skins. The image shows five examples of the increasingly iconic power button--which is also featured as one of the rotating images on Ourcolony.net's home page--surrounded by multicolored patterns reminiscent of many currently available console skins. Such a feature would be in line with J Allard's keynote at this year's Game Developers Conference, in which he talked about the customization demanded by today's youth, which he deemed "Generation Remix."

While convincing, it must be emphasized that none of the images have been confirmed by Microsoft. As of press time, spokespersons for the company had still not officially commented on the pictures.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Slick! My only complaint is that the controller look big and clunky. What's the bottom image? The skins?

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jeremy said:
What's the bottom image? The skins?

Yes.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
The skins for what?

And, what is the remote for X-Box Live?

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Wow, great info! Their whole online setup is looking fuckin' great. And custom soundtracks, wireless controllers, etc. I think I'll be picking up one for sure now.

Link Copied to Clipboard