rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
link

Quote:

Korean-language version of the official Xbox site lists a "Halo 2 X-Pack (Expansion Pack)" as in the works.

Even though Halo 2 was the second most popular game of 2004, the vast majority of gamers had one major complaint--its ending. Without providing any spoilers, the Xbox shooter's finale feels more than a little truncated, leaving the game's two protagonists--the Master Chief and the Arbiter--in medias res.

In particular, Halo 2's last shot also seemed to set up a sequel with about as much subtlety as the finale of Flash Gordon, prompting speculation that the next-gen Xbox would ship bundled with an expanded Halo 2.5. Another rumor had work on a next-gen Halo 3 well underway, with Microsoft planning to release it the same day the PlayStation 3 goes on sale, presumably in 2006.

Today, another theory emerged, courtesy of a release schedule on the Korean-language version of the official Xbox site (pictured). Under the March and April releases on the page is a more general "coming soon" category, which lists several games with more fluid release dates, including Forza Motorsport and Red Ninja: End of Honor.

However, of considerably more interest to Halo fans is the entry for one "Halo 2 X-Pack (Expansion Pack)." The one-line listing had no other description or firm date. That said, its presence on an official Microsoft site added credence to the theory that Microsoft cut Halo 2 short so it could roll out a large expansion akin to the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack at a later date via Xbox Live--for a price. Such a Halo 2 expansion could be a twofold boon for Microsoft, adding another incentive for gamers to join its online service, and squeezing further dollars from the nearly seven million gamers who already have Halo 2.

So is the Halo 2 X-Pack listing proof positive of the paid expansion-pack theory? Or could it be possible that the expansion will be free, like the Hurricane Pack was? It's hard to say definitively, since Microsoft had not commented as of press time.

Last edited by rex; 2005-03-25 8:10 PM.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I may (or may not) know some folks beta testing the expansion and they seem to think it'll be free.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
More Halo 2 expansion details emerge?

Quote:

Product page on EBgames.com briefly lists a $19.99, nine-level multiplayer add-on as coming May 24; Bungie says announcement due by week's end; Microsoft stays mum.
Last Friday, word spread like wildfire that Microsoft was planning to release an expansion pack for Halo 2. The news sprouted from a release schedule on the official Korean-language Xbox Web site, which listed a "Halo 2 X-Pack (Expansion Pack)" as "coming soon." No other details were available at the time, leading many who were disappointed by the sci-fi shooter's abrupt ending to believe that the expansion would feature a more extended and satisfying conclusion.

However, it now appears that those hoping for an alternate denouement to Halo 2's single-player campaign will have to wait. According to a product page for a "Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack" that was briefly listed on EBgames.com this morning, the expansion is only "a collection of nine multiplayer maps, as well as non-playable video content (a cinematic and a mini-documentary). Delivered on a standard Xbox DVD disc, the multiplayer content can be used by gamers on Xbox Live as well as those who play multiplayer via System Link or via Split-screen (on one Xbox)."

Before it disappeared from the site this morning, the page listed the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack as costing $19.99 and shipping on May 24. As of press time, the page still displayed the name "Halo 2 Expansion Pack" as its page title in Internet browsers and HTML code. When presented with the product page URL and the description of the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack, Microsoft spokespeople referred GameSpot to other Microsoft spokespeople--who had not returned comment as of press time.

However, some official word on Halo 2 expansion plans did come at the end of last week in developer Bungie's official What's Update newsletter. In it, Bungie.net content manager Frank O'Connor said a "major announcement about the details of our new maps" is coming later this week. He also said that Bungie plans to "make new content available for everybody, [to] those with Xbox Live and those without Xbox Live," adding further credence to the EB listing's contention that the Halo 2 update would be available on a DVD and not solely through Xbox Live.

GameSpot will have more on the Halo 2 Expansion Pack--which, it must be stressed, still does not officially exist--as further information becomes available.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Bungie confirms Halo 2 expansion

Map pack will feature nine new multiplayer battlegrounds; Live users will get first shot at four maps beginning in April; retail version hits shelves June 28.

Call it Halo 2: Combat Expanded. After much speculation, Bungie today announced plans to release an expansion for its popular first-person shooter, Halo 2. It will not, however, contain a single-player portion that many hoped might wrap up Halo 2's abrupt campaign mode ending.

The additional content, appropriately called Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack, will contain nine multiplayer maps of varying shapes and sizes. Xbox Live users will have the chance to start fragging one another on four of the maps in late April. Two of the maps will be free, and the other two will be available for $5.99. The remaining five maps will be downloadable for $11.99 on June 28.

Those Halo fanatics who still prefer their multiplayer old-school, via LAN, needn't worry: The entire collection will be available in a packaged retail version on June 28, for $19.99. The retail version will also come with a few bonuses. There will be an "animated side story" detailing events from the single-player portion of Halo 2, set in New Mombosa. There will also be a documentary focusing on the map designers, strategies for playing on the new maps, and detailed overviews of each battleground. The disc will also contain all Halo 2 updates and fixes, as well as, presumably, the first bonus map, Foundation. This particular bonus map was unlockable and later released to the masses over Xbox Live. Bungie has also discussed putting in "possibly one or two other little treats."

Gamers who aren't thrilled about shelling out some coin for additional content will still get the opportunity to play the maps...later. The entire collection will be made absolutely free via download "by late summer."

The first batch of maps to be released over Xbox Live will be titled Containment, Warlock, Sanctuary, and Turf. Each map was created after Halo 2's release last November, and each isn't of your typical "one base on one side and another base on the other" architecture.

The first of the two free maps, Containment, is a large playing field in the frozen tundra of Delta Halo. "One of the largest Halo maps ever," Containment gives Spartans and Elites the option of navigating the terrain by chugging around in vehicles or hoofing it to the many teleporters. A switch in the middle of the playing field, completely exposed to potential snipers, opens vehicle access to the looming bases, similar to the gate in Zanzibar. Containment was designed for large battles, with capture the flag specifically in mind.

Warlock, the second of the two free maps, is loosely based on the map Wizard, which appeared in the original Halo. Built from the ground up to take advantage of Halo 2's graphics engine, Warlock is a small- to medium-sized map with four-way symmetry, making it perfect for such games as four-team territories. The map has a castlelike quality to it, with a shrine jutting up from the middle of the field.

Turf is an urban map set in Old Mambosa. The streets are lined with storefronts, complete with playable interiors, and a catwalk system above the streets, which can be manipulated, thus making this map two-tiered. The initial development on Turf was handled with capture the flag and territories in mind, but Bungie has deemed it "surprisingly flexible."

The final map in the April bunch is Sanctuary. This map, on the surface, looks awfully similar to the stone Covenant stronghold set in the mountain from the single-player game. The map is focused on team-oriented play and features several creeks, pools, and waterfalls.

Little is known about the five remaining maps, save for their names: Terminal, Elongation, Gemini, Backwash, and Relic.

Once available, the free maps will be integrated into the Xbox Live matchmaking sets, and the two premium maps will have their own playlists (for those gamers who bought them). As all the maps become universally available, they'll be integrated into the matchmaking system. In addition, Bungie will be altering the current playlists and will introduce an entirely new two-on-two playlist.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Bungie now has pictures and descriptions of the new maps.

here

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
500+ posts
500+ posts
To be honest, who gives a damn. I sold my copy. I loved the first Halo but this one got old really quick. The live play isn't all that either. There are other games that are as good or better. If Halo 3 is the big launch title for X-Box "Next" I'll pass. Give me a good war sim.

Life is short,,,, make it count......
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
You're dead to me.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Whoa.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]

Link Copied to Clipboard