Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
The dialogue in 1984 where O'Brien says "If I say I levitated, and you say I levitated and we both believe it. Then it happened."

And the famous line, history is written by the winners.

Is everything that we know as the truth just "true" because we believe in it so strongly that it becomes our own personal truth?

Bow ties are coool.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
See every political debate on this board for proof.

AGW Offline
400+ posts
400+ posts
Very good. I agree.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
There are numerous studies on subjective memory.

One of the most interesting was a Cornell University study about how children who are interviewed incorrectly often develop false memories about past events:

When preschool children were asked weekly about whether a fictitious event had ever happened to them, more than half the 3- and 4-year-old children by the tenth week reported that it had and provided cogent details, according to a Cornell University study.

Even more surprising, however, is that more than one-quarter of the children could not be convinced the event never occurred when the researchers and their parents explained that the events never occurred. Furthermore, professionals who specialize in interviewing children could not distinguish between children telling false or true accounts when they were shown videotapes of the children's "recollections."

"When young children, ages 3 and 4, are questioned by neutral interviewers, they do very well. They recall events with 90 percent accuracy," said Stephen J. Ceci, Ph.D., the Helen L. Carr Professor of Psychology in Cornell's College of Human Ecology who led the study.

"However, when children are repeatedly interviewed over the course of weeks and months with misleading suggestions -- which sometimes occurs in forensic cases -- many come to remember the false events as true and provide detailed and coherent narratives about these false events," said Ceci, whose interviewers asked children, for example: "Think real hard. Did you ever get your hand caught in a mousetrap and go to the hospital to get it off?"

"So compelling did the children's narratives appear that we suspected that some of the children had come to truly believe they had experienced the fictitious events. Neither parents nor researchers were able to convince 27 percent of the children that the events never happened," said Ceci, a well-known research developmental psychologist who has been studying the suggestibility of children's memories for more than a decade.

The article goes on to note:

These findings have important implications for cases involving young children, including those related to child abuse and sexual child abuse because in some of these trials children are interviewed many times over the course of weeks, months, or even years. In fact, the average child in the courtroom is interviewed formally 3.5 to 11 times before a court appearance and many more times informally.

"When suggestive interviewing techniques are used, as in these studies and in real cases, they lead to high levels of correct disclosure when the child actually experienced the event in question," Ceci pointed out. "However, the problem is that they also lead to high levels of false assent when the event was not experienced."

100+ posts
100+ posts
you ficking communist!!

This is about the WMD's isn't it??

ISN'T IT!!!!!!!???

well, everyone thought there was WMD's and if this was about oil, why is gas so high, eh dipshit??!!

From Washington Times interview with DeLay: Mr. Hurt: Have you ever crossed the line of ethical behavior in terms of dealing with lobbyists, your use of government authority or with fundraising? Mr. DeLay: Ever is a very strong word.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
The dialogue in 1984 where O'Brien says "If I say I levitated, and you say I levitated and we both believe it. Then it happened."

And the famous line, history is written by the winners.

Is everything that we know as the truth just "true" because we believe in it so strongly that it becomes our own personal truth?

Truth is never subjective.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Memory is a tricky subject. How we remember things is influenced by how we are asked to recall those things (alluding to G-Man's post above). How we remember things is also influenced by the conditions under which the memory was originally formed.

But clearly, memory is not wholly subjective. I drove to my doctor's this morning and I can remember the route I took. There is nothing subjective about that; it is physical fact.

We all wear a green carnation.

Link Copied to Clipboard