Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#492896 2005-04-16 8:48 PM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
This British sci-fi/comedy of the 80's/90's has been released on DVD up to the sixth season (or series as they call them in Britain). The first two seasons establish our characters:

Lister, the last human being alive, a curry addict whose dirty sock basket once sprouted its own life form;
    Rimmer, his repressed, overbearing roommate and superior technician, now recreated as a hologram;
    Cat, a fashion-obsessed humanoid who evolved from Lister's pet;
    and the ship's computer, Holly, with an IQ of 6000 (supposedly).

In the third season, Kryten, a Mechanoid first introduced in a second-series episode, became a regular character. Once a servile mechanical, Kryten was taught (by Lister) to break his programming and become more human.

From the third season on, the plots become more science fiction-oriented, culminating in Season 6's award-winning "Gunmen of the Apocalypse", which manages to combine film noir, Artificial Reality, rogue simulants, and a computer virus, all in thirty minutes.

Highly recommended viewing.

Bringing a little order to message boards everywhere!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Patrick Swayze,C. Thomas Howell,Lea Thompson, and Charlie Sheen kicked ass!

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Online Talkative
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Those commies will think twice about invading us again!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Frank Drabik loves Red Dwarves.

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts

Bringing a little order to message boards everywhere!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

ROY BATTY said:

I like Chinese

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
Quote:

ROY BATTY said:

I like Chinese

is that the pre-commie Chinese or the post-commie ones?

Racks be to MisterJLA
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Red Dwarf is one of the most funniest sci-fi parodies in this side of the galaxy! It can compete with Space Balls and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Last edited by Captain Sweden; 2005-04-17 5:53 PM.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Dwarf rules!
I have them all on very worn vhs and am buying the DVDs.
I can quote almost every word!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese food
The waiters never are rude

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

NurikoK98 said:
This British sci-fi/comedy of the 80's/90's has been released on DVD up to the sixth season (or series as they call them in Britain). The first two seasons establish our characters:

Lister, the last human being alive, a curry addict whose dirty sock basket once sprouted its own life form;
    Rimmer, his repressed, overbearing roommate and superior technician, now recreated as a hologram;
    Cat, a fashion-obsessed humanoid who evolved from Lister's pet;
    and the ship's computer, Holly, with an IQ of 6000 (supposedly).

In the third season, Kryten, a Mechanoid first introduced in a second-series episode, became a regular character. Once a servile mechanical, Kryten was taught (by Lister) to break his programming and become more human.

From the third season on, the plots become more science fiction-oriented, culminating in Season 6's award-winning "Gunmen of the Apocalypse", which manages to combine film noir, Artificial Reality, rogue simulants, and a computer virus, all in thirty minutes.

Highly recommended viewing.

The best one is Series 4.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I like Chinese food
The waiters never are rude

It's true, it's true!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
The whole forest in one tree.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Fan? Hell, I've even read all four of the novels.

"...When someone's had a tad too much claret and has fallen asleep on their bunk, people of honour generally don't take a Polaroid of your snoozing todger, draw a moustache, mouth, and ears on it, and then pin it up on the bulletin board under 'Missing Persons'. They don't write underneath, 'Have you seen this man? Believed to be a French movie star'."

I even got a chance to talk to, get pictures with, and autographs from Craig Charles (Lister) and Danny John-Jules (Cat) when they came to Seattle a few years ago. Very cool guys, especially Craig.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
best episode ever: Marooned!
best series: 4

500+ posts
500+ posts
I wonder if they're ever going to get that damn movie made. Every year, they pop up and say that it's about to begin filming, then we don't hear anything for another year.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
They keep getting funding problems, people pulling out.

I hope they give up unless they can get RobGrant back.
Since he left it has lost something.

500+ posts
500+ posts
I'm in a minority, I'm sure, but I thought seasons 7 and 8 were hilarious. It seemed off-kilter from "traditional" Red Dwarf, but - damn! - some of those eps in season 8, especially... the Pete two-parter (where Lister and Rimmer keep getting marched back to the Captain's desk) and the one where Rimmer takes the Sexual Magnetism virus, etc... were some of the biggest laughs in the whole series, I thought.

500+ posts
500+ posts
You know, I bet if the Hitchhiker's movie does well, they'll get the funding overnight.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Series 8 was funny. 7 was only funny in the episodes with Chris Barrie as Rimmer. The Rimmer Experience had to of been the single funniest fucking thing from that whole series.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Overall 7 & 8 were the weakest series!
Series 8,although still funny,lost a lot of the whole point of Red Dwarf by bringing back the crew!

500+ posts
500+ posts
I thought it was a cool change of pace. I always liked the flashbacks in the first couple seasons back to when the crew was around. Plus, the Captain and Petersen especially are such cool characters. I thought it worked as a diversion and gave them a chance to play with the characters in different social dynamics.

The only thing I hate is where that season left off. It would really suck if that truly was the end of the Red Dwarf saga.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The original concept of Red Dwarf was totally discarded when they brought the crew back,and even before that when Kochanski was brought in!

The whole concept was sposed to be about isolation,with all the main characters basically being the last of their kind!
One human
One Cat
One hologram
One computer
Then one mechanoid

Even as new characters like Kryten were added to the cast,they were a different species again!

As they travelled through space,they might have met other versions of themselves or other beings that seemed to be the same,it nearly always turned out to be something else!

As soon as more humans were added to the cast it somewhat diminished the humour that the last surviving human was a total bum!
Lister lost a lot of what made him Lister by introducing more humans!

500+ posts
500+ posts
I don't disagree that it was the "last of the species" thing that was central to Red Dwarf, but when Series 8 came out, I just got the impression that it was either a temporary diversion or that they were driving the series toward a resolution. After all, they've been hinting since the beginning that Lister somehow gets home, hooks up with Kochanski, has kids, etc. and the stars aren't getting any younger... not that I want the franchise to end, mind you - ever. The way the series ended seems like an open-ended segue for them to return to normalcy (or a springboard to head further toward their story resolutions).

Even with the "last human" underpinnings suspended, I think the series found new ways to mine the characters while staying true to them and staying absolutely hilarious. There's a lot of "be careful what you wish for" humor - the hero back at a demeaning, neutering square one, after having been such a seasoned space vet, beholden to none... realizing Kochanski isn't simply going to fall into his arms... Rimmer back, like he used to be... and watching Cat and Kryten interact with others for, basically, the first time.

Unless the franchise does end for good right there, I think it will be seen as a passing phase, and - in my opinion - a worthy side-trip to have taken.

Link Copied to Clipboard