Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
In DETECTIVE COMICS #500, Batman meets The Phantom Stranger, who gives him the opprtunity to save the lives of the Thomas and Martha Waye of a different reality - one with no superheroes or even any heroic literature. At the end of the story, the young Bruce Wayne of this alternate decides to train himself to be a crimefighter - just like the one who saved the lives of his parents.

I'd like to see a mini-series or even a one-shot about this alternate Batman, one motivated not by loss or grief or anger, but by gratitude to a mysterious vigilante who saved his family. It would be even more interesting considering that there wouldn't be any other heroes - indeed, he might be the only hero this alternate reality has ever known.

Who's with me?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Hmmm... DETECTIVE COMICS #500 has a cover-date of March 1981. The young Bruce Wayne in that story was eight years old, so he would've turned eight in 1980. That means he was born in 1972, making him just two years older than me in this year of 2005 -- 33 years old. In other words, plenty of time in which to have had a career on that parallel world.

It would be interesting for all the reasons you mention above, but I think it would be even more interesting if it was set in real time, in a more-or-less realistic world, with references to historical and pop culture events over the last 20 years. Yeah, I'd buy that.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Like an Elseworlds? It couldnt really be done in the regular books without tons of groupies complaining that its 'too super-natural' for a Batman book, bit I wouldnt mind an Elseworlds project. You know the writer would probably end the story with his parents dying though, just to have an ending that basically says "Vengeful batman is Bruce Waynes destiny". I'd like to see his villains explored in the story aswell, like seeing another robber accidentally fall in the chemicals, or a completely different chemical mis-hap, and ofcourse another person would lead to different things, like a Joker that becomes a serious hitman. See Oswald Cobblepot being a legitimate businessman while someone else controls the shady Gotham underworld, someone with a completely different personality

Wouldnt like any obvious crap like previously mentioned either, like Jack Napier falling into chemicals at the end of the story to say that "It was his destiny the become the Joker". Crap like that needs to be steered well clear off, a different Batman in a different reality warrants a completely different approach [even see Batman adopt a much more violent crime fighting style without his parents deaths looming over him]

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Hmmm... DETECTIVE COMICS #500 has a cover-date of March 1981. The young Bruce Wayne in that story was eight years old, so he would've turned eight in 1980. That means he was born in 1972, making him just two years older than me in this year of 2005 -- 33 years old. In other words, plenty of time in which to have had a career on that parallel world.

It would be interesting for all the reasons you mention above, but I think it would be even more interesting if it was set in real time, in a more-or-less realistic world, with references to historical and pop culture events over the last 20 years. Yeah, I'd buy that.

One problem, though: we'd assume that since 24 years to pass in the alternate universe, 24 years must have passed in the DCU. Of course, there are ways around that (time travel, different rates of time), but it would be a little less plausible, yes?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
On that note, I love DK's concept. I'd like to see it happen.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
You'd probably end up with a Batman not unlike the way he was portrayed in the 50s and early 60s: friendly guy who spoke at schools and accepted the key to the city every other issue.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Seriously, DK - write this story and send it in to DC.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Seriously, DK - write this story and send it in to DC.

They'll probably just use it and say they never got his letter. Chances are they'll give it to Judd Winnick and he'll add a part about Bruce having aids from gay sex with the Joker for a l'il shock value ...

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I take it you're a fan of Winick's work, then.

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You'd probably end up with a Batman not unlike the way he was portrayed in the 50s and early 60s: friendly guy who spoke at schools and accepted the key to the city every other issue.

Either that, or a Batman hounded by police who think he's a bad guy because it doesn't occur to them that Batman is actually a crimefighter.

Remember, this is a world without heroes, or even heroic literature or mythology. The concept of someone fighting evil for a noble cause may be a fireign one to the people of this reality.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I take it you're a fan of Winick's work, then.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

One problem, though: we'd assume that since 24 years to pass in the alternate universe, 24 years must have passed in the DCU. Of course, there are ways around that (time travel, different rates of time), but it would be a little less plausible, yes?

I think compressed time is the stupidest idea that Marvel and DC ever came up with.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
On that note, I love DK

Quote:

Wednesday said to Jaburg:
You've got balls. I like balls.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>

Link Copied to Clipboard