100+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Snapman said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
...they are sworn enemas.

Were you making a pun or did you make a REALLY bad misspelling?

pun.

I don't buy it, Wbam!

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
gees! Why can't libera;s take a joke? I mean figure what it would take to make enemies into enemas by way of typo. I would have to have completely left out two letters and hit the "a" and the "s" at the same time..... forget it. It wasn't a pun it was a neocon consperacy.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Report: CIA name leak probe expands

WASHINGTON, July 27 (UPI) -- The investigation into whether a federal official leaked the name of a CIA operative is wider than originally believed, the Washington Post reported.

The Post Wednesday said special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald is both trying to determine whether a government official leaked the name of a CIA agent and how the Bush administration shifted the blame for Iraq weapons allegations in the president's 2002 State of the Union speech.

Sciencedaily

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2005-07-28 3:33 AM.

Fair play!
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

[Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS) spokeswoman Sarah] Little said the Senate committee would review the probe of special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, who has been investigating the Plame case for nearly two years.

This is quite an amazing little turn in the Rove scandal. The GOP couldn't smear Wilson enough to make the investigation into the wrongdoing go away, so now they are going to have to start casting doubts directly on the investigator.

Also, remember that this is the guy who indicted former IL governor George Ryan. A quick google search reminds us how Ryan got ensared in the first place; namely, that a good prosecutor takes the investigation wherever it leads him/her, not simply to a foregone conclusion:

Quote:

The investigation, dubbed Operation Safe Road, initially focused on bribes exchanged for licenses for unqualified truck drivers when Ryan was secretary of state. It expanded into a broader investigation of political corruption that snared several of his top aides and associates.

"It was not opened up as an investigation of George Ryan, it was opened up as an investigation of licenses for bribes at the secretary of state's office," Fitzgerald said.

If the Republicans really mean to follow through with this threat of investigating Fitzgerald as some sort of means of either intimidation or of throwing him off the hunt, I think they will have seriously miscalculated.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
gees! Why can't libera;s take a joke? I mean figure what it would take to make enemies into enemas by way of typo. I would have to have completely left out two letters and hit the "a" and the "s" at the same time..... forget it. It wasn't a pun it was a neocon consperacy.

Historic precedent is against you, Wbam! Whether intintional or not, it was funny. And I'll concede your spelling has improved.

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!
magicjay #537181 2005-07-28 10:54 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rove Scandal: Cover Story Slippage

David Corn
Thu Jul 28,10:40 AM ET

The Nation -- Another part of the save-Rove cover story is not holding.
ADVERTISEMENT

Once the Plame/CIA leak became big (mainstream-media) news in September 2003--when word hit that the CIA had asked the Justice Department to investigate the leak, which had appeared in a Bob Novak column two months earlier--friends of the White House, including Novak, started saying that Valerie Wilson wasn't really under cover at the CIA and, thus, the disclosure of her employment at the CIA wasn't worth a federal case (or investigation). They claimed that no big wrong had occurred, and this argument also conveniently offered any leaker a legal defense. Under the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, a government official can only be prosecuted for disclosing information identifying a "covert agent" whose cover the United States government was taking steps to protect. White House allies asserted that while Valerie Wilson may have technically been a clandestine CIA official, in practice she wasn't. So all this bother over the leak was much ado about nothing.

Novak, for example, downplayed Valerie Wilson's covert status in an October 1, 2003 column, in which he vaguely described how he had originally learned of her connection to the CIA. He noted that after a senior administration official told him that Joseph Wilson's wife worked at the CIA, he called the CIA:

At the CIA, the official designated to talk to me denied that Wilson's wife had inspired his selection but said she was delegated to request his help. He asked me not to use her name, saying she probably never again will be given a foreign assignment but that exposure of her name might cause "difficulties" if she travels abroad. He never suggested to me that Wilson's wife or anybody else would be endangered. If he had, I would not have used her name. I used it in the sixth paragraph of my column because it looked like the missing explanation of an otherwise incredible choice by the CIA for its mission.

Bush-backers have cited this paragraph to argue that the CIA didn't do much to protect Valerie Wilson's cover. I've heard GOP lawyer Victoria Toensing, who helped draft the Intelligence Identities Act, claim that Novak's exchange with the CIA is proof that the CIA was not taking serious measures to preserve Wilson's cover--which means the law she helped concoct does not apply in the case of this leak.

Should Novak be taken at his word on this point? Until now, the public only knew of his side of his conversation with the CIA. But The Washington Post published a piece on Wednesday that provides the CIA's version of this exchange. And it is significantly different from Novak's account. The paper reports,

[Bill] Harlow, the former CIA spokesman, said in an interview yesterday that he testified last year before a grand jury about conversations he had with Novak at least three days before the column was published. He said he warned Novak, in the strongest terms he was permitted to use without revealing classified information, that Wilson's wife had not authorized the mission [to Niger taken by former Ambassador Joseph Wilson] and that if he did write about it, her name should not be revealed.

Harlow said that after Novak's call, he checked Plame's status and confirmed that she was an undercover operative. He said he called Novak back to repeat that the story Novak had related to him was wrong and that Plame's name should not be used. But he did not tell Novak directly that she was undercover because that was classified.

So how many contradictions can you find? Novak indicated he had one substantive conversation with a CIA official about Valerie Wilson and he received no clear signal that revealing her name would cause any significant trouble. Harlow said there were two conversations and that in each one he warned Novak about using her name. (Harlow also said he told Novak that Valerie Wilson had not authorized her husband's trip. Remember, several Rove defenders have maintained that when Rove spoke to Time's Matt Cooper--and told Cooper that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA and had authorized his trip to Niger--he was merely trying to make sure that Cooper published an accurate account of what happened. Yet the CIA says she did not authorize this trip. Rove was feeding Cooper misleading information.)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20050728/cm_thenation/38813/nc:742

Fair play!
magicjay #537182 2005-07-29 12:46 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Historic precedent is against you, Wbam! Whether intintional or not, it was funny. And I'll concede your spelling has improved.

I haven't been trying to improve my spelling, but my mispellings and typos still follow a certain logic.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I haven't been trying to improve my spelling, but my mispellings and typos still follow a certain logic.

Indeed. Wbam's typos do follow the logical path of Surak.

Bow ties are coool.
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
It may be a misunderstanding on someone's part.

I haven't read the language of the question. However, typically, in government service, that questions is meant as "are there any court cases in which you are a party to could become a party to," meaning "have you been sued, or could you be sued?"

Quote:

John Bolton, President Bush's nominee for U.N. ambassador, mistakenly told Congress he had not been interviewed or testified in any investigation over the past five years, the State Department said Thursday.

Bolton was interviewed by the State Department inspector general in 2003 as part of a joint investigation with the Central Intelligence Agency into prewar Iraqi attempts to buy nuclear materials from Niger, State Department spokesman Noel Clay said.

The admission came hours after another State Department official said Bolton had correctly answered a Senate questionnaire when he wrote that he has not testified to a grand jury or been interviewed by investigators in any inquiry over the past five years.

The reversal followed persistent Democratic attempts to question Bolton's veracity just days before Bush may use his authority to make him United Nations ambassador after Congress adjourns for its summer recess. For months, Democrats have prevented the Senate from confirming the fiery conservative to the post.

"It seems unusual that Mr. Bolton would not remember his involvement in such a serious matter," said Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. "In my mind, this raises more questions that need to be answered. I hope President Bush will not make the mistake of recess appointing Mr. Bolton."

State Dept. Now Says Bolton Interviewed

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Seems Karl didn't get his info. about Plame from reporters after all according to Time:

Quote:

As the investigation tightens into the leak of the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame, sources tell TIME some White House officials may have learned she was married to former ambassador Joseph Wilson weeks before his July 6, 2003, Op-Ed piece criticizing the Administration. That prospect increases the chances that White House official Karl Rove and others learned about Plame from within the Administration rather than from media contacts. Rove has told investigators he believes he learned of her directly or indirectly from reporters, according to his lawyer.

Now if Karl told something different to the FBI or the Grand Jury...he's in big trouble. And this also increases the likelihood that people in the White House knew Plame's undercover status when they were outing her.

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I suspect Rove at the very least perjured himself & broke some lower laws concerning leaking. His story just doesn't fit with Cooper's testimony or from Novak's. Despite the White House's early assertions that he wasn't involved in leaking Plame's ID, it's quite clear that Rove was. So even if they can't prove that he intentionally outed an undercover agent, it's hard to see a scenario where Rove comes out of this intact. I'm curious about who else the Grand Jury might be after at this point.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
Seems Karl didn't get his info. about Plame from reporters after all according to Time:

Quote:

As the investigation tightens into the leak of the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame, sources tell TIME some White House officials may have learned she was married to former ambassador Joseph Wilson weeks before his July 6, 2003, Op-Ed piece criticizing the Administration. That prospect increases the chances that White House official Karl Rove and others learned about Plame from within the Administration rather than from media contacts. Rove has told investigators he believes he learned of her directly or indirectly from reporters, according to his lawyer.

Now if Karl told something different to the FBI or the Grand Jury...he's in big trouble. And this also increases the likelihood that people in the White House knew Plame's undercover status when they were outing her.

It's a small distiction, but in his opening comments PaulWhomod says that "Seems Karl didn't get his info. about Plame from reporters after all according to Time:
"

Well, Paul, that's not true. According o TIME it's possible that Rove MAY have known ahead of time. You attribute a certainty to TIME that they didn't express. That would be dishonest of you. I think think you know that few people still read your articles and hope we'll just believe what you say thay say..

wannabuyamonkey #537188 2005-08-02 1:09 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
President Bush still confident in Rove...
Quote:

Bush: Rove has 'my compete confidence' despite leak
Reuters
Monday, August 1, 2005; 8:38 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush on Monday declared "complete confidence" in his top political adviser, Karl Rove, despite his alleged role in leaking a covert CIA operative's identity, according to an interview.

WashingtonPost
Our President couldn't elaborate any further because they have to see how fucked they are Grand Jury wise.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2005-08-02 1:12 AM.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I find it interesting that PaulWhomod thought it n=necessary to fine tune this thread by re-naming it from Karlgate to Rovegate.

wannabuyamonkey #537190 2005-08-02 3:42 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Actually that was me.

Fair play!
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
I thought it was funny.

*Chuckle*

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I'm hoping for TURDBLOSSOMGATE next.

Matter-eater Man #537193 2005-08-03 12:22 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Actually that was me.

How could you? His was the first post. You can't edit that unless your a Mod or ........ *dun dun dun (sinister theme music)* You're Whomod too!

wannabuyamonkey #537194 2005-08-03 1:06 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I took MEM's comments to mean that he edited the subject line to confirm to the original post.

the G-man #537195 2005-08-03 3:10 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I took MEM's comments to mean that he edited the subject line to confirm to the original post.

Yep, & I didn't notice that the thread name was changed, so I misunderstood WBAM's post.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Yep, & I didn't notice that the thread name was changed, so I misunderstood WBAM's post.

suuuuuuuuure, whomod.

wannabuyamonkey #537197 2005-08-03 4:00 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

suuuuuuuuure, whomod.

don't lecture him on morals, you pedophile.

Bow ties are coool.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
theory9 #537199 2005-08-04 3:10 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
It's really sad that I've been away from this forum for weeks and upon coming back, I honestly don't feel I've missed anything.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
so sad...

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #537201 2005-08-05 3:30 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
so sammitch...

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
unrestrained id #537202 2005-08-05 6:50 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Turnaround, every now and then I get a
little bit lonely and you're never coming around
Turnaround, Every now and then I get a
little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears
little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by
little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes
Turnaround bright eyes, Every now and
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

little bit restless and I dream of something wild
little bit helpless and I'm lying like a child in your arms
little bit angry and I know I've got to get out and cry
little bit terrified but then I see the look in your eyes
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart
Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say

Turnaround bright eyes
Turnaround bright eyes
Turnaround, every now and then I know
you'll never be the boy you always you wanted to be
you'll always be the only boy who wanted me the way that I am
there's no one in the universe as magical and wonderous as you
there's nothing any better and there's nothing I just wouldn't do
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Apparently, you forgot to switch to your Frank Burns alt for that last post.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
It's really sad that I've been away from this forum for weeks and upon coming back, I honestly don't feel I've missed anything.

I know the feeling.

wannabuyamonkey #537205 2005-08-10 10:51 AM
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
It was about two months for me!
And not a thing is different!

Steve T #537206 2005-09-30 2:44 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Maybe the final piece of the puzzle falls into place...

Quote:

Jailed reporter reaches deal in CIA leak probe

The New York Times' Miller: 'It's good to be free'

Friday, September 30, 2005; Posted: 11:22 a.m. EDT (15:22 GMT)

(CNN) -- After spending 12 weeks in jail for refusing to name a source, The New York Times reporter Judith Miller testified Friday before a federal grand jury looking into a CIA leak case after her source gave her permission....

CNN

It appears that Scooter Libby was the source being protected.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Rove gives 11th hour testimony with no immunity.
Quote:

Rove to give additional testimony in leak inquiry

Prosecutors won't guarantee that Bush advisor won't be indicted

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal prosecutors have accepted an offer from presidential adviser Karl Rove to give 11th hour testimony in the case of a CIA officer's leaked identity but have warned they cannot guarantee he won't be indicted, according to people directly familiar with the investigation.

The persons, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because of grand jury secrecy, said Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has not made any decision yet on whether to file criminal charges against the longtime confidant of President Bush or others.

The U.S. attorney's manual requires prosecutors not to bring witnesses before a grand jury if there is a possibility of future criminal charges unless they are notified in advance that their grand jury testimony can be used against them in a later indictment. ...

CNN

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Cheney's Office Is A Focus in Leak Case
Sources Cite Role Of Feud With CIA

By Jim VandeHei and Walter Pincus
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, October 18, 2005; A01

As the investigation into the leak of a CIA agent's name hurtles to an apparent conclusion, special prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has zeroed in on the role of Vice President Cheney's office, according to lawyers familiar with the case and government officials. The prosecutor has assembled evidence that suggests Cheney's long-standing tensions with the CIA contributed to the unmasking of operative Valerie Plame.

In grand jury sessions, including with New York Times reporter Judith Miller, Fitzgerald has pressed witnesses on what Cheney may have known about the effort to push back against ex-diplomat and Iraq war critic Joseph C. Wilson IV, including the leak of his wife's position at the CIA, Miller and others said. But Fitzgerald has focused more on the role of Cheney's top aides, including Chief of Staff I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, lawyers involved in the case said.

One former CIA official told prosecutors early in the probe about efforts by Cheney's office and his allies at the National Security Council to obtain information about Wilson's trip as long as two months before Plame was unmasked in July 2003, according to a person familiar with the account.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It would make sense that if all these middle men were running around leaking, that they were being directed to do so.

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
It would make sense that if all these middle men were running around leaking, that they were being directed to do so.

And Clinton was impeached for lying about shagging an aid?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Actually he was impeached for lying UNDER OATH.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

FOAD, G-man!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

magicjay38 said:
I hate being corrected by G-man

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

magicjay38 said:
I hate being corrected by G-man

And we are both aquitted!

magicjay38 #537215 2005-10-18 9:20 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
There are two very odd stories in the news today. The Associated Press and Reuters are both reporting that all their previous stories on Karl Rove and Scooter Libby could be wrong.Reuters just wrote that three separate CIA accusers are suddenly backing off. They now say that, well, maybe Rove didn’t know that Valerie Plame was undercover, and therefore he couldn’t have deliberately exposed her identity.

Plame, Wilson’s wife, never worked for WINPAC, which is on the overt side of the CIA. [WINPAC is an analytical unit on unconventional weapons – ed.]. She worked on the CIA’s secret side, the directorate of operations, according to three people familiar with her work for the spy agency.

The three all spoke on condition of anonymity, citing Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald’s ongoing grand jury investigation into the leak of Plame’s identity in 2003.

And the Associated Press notes

The inaccurate information could suggest Libby thought Plame was not an undercover spy, and therefore didn't know her identity was classified. ...as former top FBI official Danny Coulson suggests, it could simply mean that Libby's information came from "dinner talk" involving people who were uninformed.

Of course, its all speculation at this point.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard