Print Thread
#546856 2005-07-20 12:53 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Comic-Con 2005: Invincible Joins Marvel - At least for a one issue team-up with your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.
by Hilary Goldstein

July 16, 2005 - At today's Cup O' Joe panel, Joe Quesada made an exciting announcement for Robert Kirkman fans. Kirkman's own creation, the superhero Invincible, is going to join forces with Spider-Man in November's Marvel Team-Up #14. This is not an Elseworlds-type tale, but instead a story taking place in Invincible continuity. We caught up with Kirkman before the announcement to discuss the specifics of this unexpected crossover.

IGN: How did this unique opportunity come about? Was it something you approached Marvel with or the other way 'round?

Robert Kirkman: After Team-Up got extended past issue 12 I wanted to do something really cool and just out of the blue, I mentioned to Tom that if they wanted to use Invincible in an issue of Team-Up I knew the guys who owned that character and I could make it happen really easy. To my surprise, Joe Quesada seemed intrigued by the idea. It really was a long shot, I never expected them to go for it--but they did.

IGN: Without giving the plot away, what is it that allows these two characters from different universes to meet up?

Kirkman: Well if anyone is reading Invincible regularly they know there is a villain named Angstrom Levy who has the ability to travel to other dimensions. That has a little bit do do with it--but I don't want to give too much away.

IGN: Marvel has over 5,000 characters to choose from, aside from his obvious popularity, why is Spider-Man the perfect fit for an Invincible team-up?

Kirkman: Aim for the top, man. You think I'm going to have him teaming up with Solo or something? I went for the gold. The opportunity to see Spider-Man and Invincible on a cover together was too much to pass up. Although, more than just Spider-Man appear in the issue. As with ALL issues of Marvel Team-Up--anyone can show up at any time, they don't all have to be on the cover.

IGN: Is this just a fanciful tale or are there plans to have this affect continuity -- either in the Marvel Universe or the Invincible universe?

Kirkman: This is set firmly in Invincible continuity, and will even be reflected in future issues of the title--without infringing on any Marvel tradmarks of course. This is going to be a big deal for Invincible.

IGN: Should we take this as a sign that Invincible might be changing publishers, perhaps not as a regular Marvel U book but as part of Marvel's Icon's lineup?

Kirkman: No, not at all. I'm more than happy with Image Comics and can't see myself changing publishers any time soon. Image has stood by this book from day one and to leave now that it's gained a small bit of popularity just wouldn't be right.

IGN: Do you think this will blossom into a recurring event? Any hopes to say, team up the X-Men with the Walking Dead?

Kirkman: There are currently no plans, but never say never!

Our thanks to Robert Kirkman for answering our questions. Look for Marvel Team-Up #14 in November.

giant picture
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Damn. I hate Spidey. But I'm buying it. I'm such a saaaaaaad little fanboy for INVINCIBLE.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
This good be big for Kirkman. The Walking Dead has proven to be solid, and I doubt I have remind folks of my love for Battle Pope.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

500+ posts
500+ posts
I smell another GREAT Marvel Movie here.

Life is short,,,, make it count......

Link Copied to Clipboard