Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
From the Associated Press:

A 22-year-old man faces criminal charges in Nebraska for having sex with an underage 13-year-old girl, although he legally married her in Kansas after she became pregnant.

The man's lawyer said the couple, with their families' support, "made a responsible decision to try to cope with the problem."

Matthew Koso, 22, was charged Monday with first-degree sexual assault, punishable by up to 50 years in prison. He was released on $7,500 bail pending an Aug. 17 preliminary hearing.

After the girl became pregnant, her mother gave permission in May for Koso to take the young woman to Kansas, which allows minors to get married with parental consent. The girl is now 14 and seven months pregnant.

"The idea ... is repugnant to me," said Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning. "These people made the decision to send their ... 14-year-old daughter to Kansas to marry a pedophile."

He said the marriage is valid, thanks to the "ridiculous" Kansas law, "but it doesn't matter. I'm not going to stand by while a grown man ... has a relationship with a 13-year-old — now 14-year-old — girl."

Bruning, who has said he will seek a second term in 2006, has aggressively prosecuted sex crimes against children since he was elected in 2002

Thoughts?

Speaking for myself, while I'm normally a law and order kind of guy, if they got married in a state where she was of age to consent and her parents approve, the D.A. should butt out.

He'd rather have, what, an unwed mother or another abortion instead?

Now, if it could be shown that the parents forced this girl to marry him and if he really IS a "pedophile," that would be one thing, but I suspect that the DA is engaged in no more than hyperbole.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
interesting

Bow ties are coool.
In the Closet
25+ posts
In the Closet
25+ posts
I have to move to Kansas.

Billie Jean is not my lover.
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Speaking for myself, while I'm normally a law and order kind of guy, if they got married in a state where she was of age to consent and her parents approve, the D.A. should butt out.

Now, if it could be shown that the parents forced this girl to marry him and if he really IS a "pedophile," that would be one thing, but I suspect that the DA is engaged in no more than hyperbole.

Holy shit, Batman! I agree with you! It may be a bad idea, but it is proceeduraly correct.

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Holy shit, Batman! I agree with you! It may be a bad idea, but it is proceeduraly correct.

I would say then that the law is flawed in this case.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Michael Jackson said:

You also have to fly in rex, since you have the money.

Eddie Guerrero said
"I've been here before. Backed into a corner, another huge obstacle, time to make a choice. You seem to be a bit preoccupied, Brock. You're not gonna be facing Eddie Guerrero the opponent tonight. You're gonna be facing Latino Heat!! They say there's No Way Out. I can think of at least one, ese (sp?). Can you?"
In the Closet
25+ posts
In the Closet
25+ posts
Quote:

Sideways said:
Quote:

Michael Jackson said:

You also have to fly in rex, since you have the money.

How old is he?

Billie Jean is not my lover.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
After the girl became pregnant, her mother gave permission in May for Koso to take the young woman to Kansas, which allows minors to get married with parental consent. The girl is now 14 and seven months pregnant.

Seems to me like they're charging him with a crime committed before the marriage. Saying the marriage makes it okay is kinda like letting a guy pay for a car after he's already stolen and wrecked it. The law was still broken.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Quote:

Michael Jackson said:

I heard you like 29 year olds.

20 9 year olds.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Seems to me like they're charging him with a crime committed before the marriage. Saying the marriage makes it okay is kinda like letting a guy pay for a car after he's already stolen and wrecked it. The law was still broken.

There is, however, the idea of mitigating the damage. The parties most concerned came up with a solution to a bad situation. Who's interest is served by putting this guy in prison?

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

But...if someone steals my car, wrecks it, steals it and pays for the damage and I, the victim, choose not to press charges, the D.A. is not going to prosecute.

Here, of course, the facts are somewhat different. However, it still seems to me that there is no point in prosecuting someone where the victim and her family do not want the matter pursued.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:Thoughts?

How is he not a pedophile? She's 13 he's an adult, etc etc etc.

Last edited by Batwoman; 2005-07-31 3:37 AM.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Yep. I totally agree with G-Man here.

More bad omens...

Quote:

magicjay said:
Who's interest is served by putting this guy in prison?

The man haters of the world. Without mentioning any names of course

If this were even 100 years ago in this country or even today in many parts of the world, this story wouldn't even be an issue.

Now not saying that I agree with full on man on kid sex here but as G-Man said, if all parties are fine with the marriage and it's legal in Kansas then yeah, butt the fuck out.

And were it not for 4 years, it wouldn't be an issue anywhere else either. I'm not going to begrudge someone as somehow being "sick" for being 4 fucking years removed as her juvenile peer! To me, I think this is an issue of people being bothered by a pubescent girl having sexual relations in the 1st place. That the guy happens to be a legal "adult" is just icing on the puritanical cake.

I just have to wonder how many of us would even be here today if not for the marriages and pregnancies of our 14-17 yr old grandmothers or great grandmothers and their wage earning 18-28 year old husbands.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
um, what are you smoking? He's 12 years older than her.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
um, what are you smoking? He's 12 years older than her.

Batwoman. He's 4 years removed from being a fellow minor. That was what I was saying. Not that he's 4 years older than her. READ MY POST CARE-FU-LLY.

I had no idea that it was so fucking hard to understand.

But really, somehow I think you already understood what I meant.

You're really that man-hating Nancy Grace, aint 'cha?

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Actually no, I didn't understand what you were saying.

You really have a problem with women don't you?

If we don't agree with you then we're all man haters.

must be nice in your world.

Last edited by Batwoman; 2005-08-01 4:10 AM.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Actually no, I didn't understand what you were saying.

You really have a problem with women don't you?

If we don't agree with you then we're all man haters.

must be nice in your world.

Experience my dear.

I seem to recall you were clamoring for the Runaway Bride's fiancees head as well as Terri Schiavo's husbands based on........ um, nothing (apart from rumor mongering that is).

Now this couple is married and expecting with the full blessing of the law and the families but all you want to do is to send the guy to jail.

Man-hater.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
In Batwoman's defense:

1. The first time I read your post, I also thought you meant he was only 4 years older than her.

2. Typically, in a case of murder, the spouse is the prime suspect, male or female. So Batwoman assuming the husband or fiance is guilty is less a symptom of "man hating" than a symptom of expecting the typical.

On the other hand, I think Batwoman is defining pedophile too broadly. I think it's less a question of a numerical age than a question of the victim's appearance, mental state, whatever.

For example: in NY, the age of consent is 17. In NJ it is (I think) 13 or 14. Does a 20 year old man in NJ "become" a pedophile when he cross the border in NYC simply b/c his 16 year old girlfriend went from being legal to not?

And, as noted above, years ago, it was very common for 13 or 14 year olds (or younger) to wed. Did that make all the men of that generation pedophiles? I doubt it.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't think the guy should get 50 years, but I do believe he should get a year or two of probation. He did break the law. Whether he "did the right thing" by marrying the girl is irrelevant. Or, G-Man, do you think that those women teachers can make everything right by marrying their students?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
I just have to wonder how many of us would even be here today if not for the marriages and pregnancies of our 14-17 yr old grandmothers or great grandmothers and their wage earning 18-28 year old husbands.

And while we're at it, let's return to using the dowry to buy the right to marry a woman without only her legal guardian's consent and not that of the woman herself.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:Or, G-Man, do you think that those women teachers can make everything right by marrying their students?

As noted previously, in almost any case where the victim and the victim's family are against prosecution, I think it's inappropriate to prosecute.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
On the other hand, I think Batwoman is defining pedophile too broadly. I think it's less a question of a numerical age than a question of the victim's appearance, mental state, whatever.

For example: in NY, the age of consent is 17. In NJ it is (I think) 13 or 14. Does a 20 year old man in NJ "become" a pedophile when he cross the border in NYC simply b/c his 16 year old girlfriend went from being legal to not?

And, as noted above, years ago, it was very common for 13 or 14 year olds (or younger) to wed. Did that make all the men of that generation pedophiles? I doubt it.

Um not really. The article doesn't mention the exact way in which they met, how they became sexually active, etc, etc, etc.

Yes I may be thinking of it in more of a broad sense this time, BUT the fact remains, as the doctor pointed out, an adult had sex with a very young minor, someone who is still considered a child for all intents and purposes, barely a teenager, and got her pregnant.

So her parents gave their permission for them to get married. Let me point something out here that the article left out, we don't know if this is what the girl wanted.

For all we know she could be married to this guy, but not want to be married to him. She's too young to make that decision herself, her parents made it for her and now she's stuck with their decision.

Again, for all we know, they could be stout conservative Christians that think no matter the age, if their kid gets pregnant, then the kid should "do the right thing" and get married. Some parents would say that's what the kid gets for having premarital sex, it's their punishment.

As for unwed mothers. Don't give me that crap. Do you know how many people there are in this country that want to have kids, regardless of if they have any or not, and can't for medical reasons? They'd love to adopt, and they will. Shoot, a number of couples in my church have adopted babies from China, one of them is one of the senior pastors. I don't know if him and his wife can't have any more kids, I do know the other senior pastor and his wife weren't able to have other kids (not because of getting fixed either), so they adopted, locally, so to speak (in the U.S.).

But yet these girls that are becoming pregnant, and believe me, my high school looked like a maternity ward at times, are either not given the choice/knowledge of adoption or choose not to. I'm sure there were plenty more that had abortions. I know of 2 girls that had miscarriages before they started college. One while still in high school and the other over the summer.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:So her parents gave their permission for them to get married. Let me point something out here that the article left out, we don't know if this is what the girl wanted.

For all we know she could be married to this guy, but not want to be married to him. She's too young to make that decision herself, her parents made it for her and now she's stuck with their decision.

That's actually a good point. However, in the initial post, I specifically made it a point to say that my opinion was based on the assumption that the girl was not forced into the marriage.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Ah yes but according to the article, the parent's "approved" the marriage. That could be sugar coating something more, like them forcing her to get married.

I'm just saying, I'm leaning towards the pedophile aspect of this, aside from the obvious reasons, the article left a whole lot out and we don't know the whole story. It's sugar caoted it for us to think everytihng's hunky dory when things could be much different.

希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
Well, I'm not sure how hunky dory they expect things to be. They had to move to Kansas on a technicality to get married in the first place, so who can say they aren't still fishing for other loopholes in any laws?

Also, suppose there was/is no arrest or anything. What type of marriage would this be? We're talking half of a generation gap here. He may spend many years almost "raising" her until she becomes an adult, and they may have many father/daughter type arguments. And what does this mean for the child they have? I predict they divorce before the baby turns two.

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
And then there's the alternative.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
You mean a fishing trip on Christmas?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

McGurk said:
Also, suppose there was/is no arrest or anything. What type of marriage would this be? We're talking half of a generation gap here. He may spend many years almost "raising" her until she becomes an adult, and they may have many father/daughter type arguments. And what does this mean for the child they have? I predict they divorce before the baby turns two.

Yep. The kiddy fiddler gets to screw a child for a few years, then skips out, avoiding prison.

Now I admit that does assume that his reason for sleeping with her is general paedophilia rather than an unusual love, but hell, she was only 13. He should bloody well know that is wrong.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I know. If it was truely love, then why not wait a few years.

Not only that, but regardless of the fact that he's 4 years from being a minor himself, what the heck is an adult doing dating a child?

Link Copied to Clipboard