Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
From the Associated Press:

Lions stalking deer in the stubble of a Nebraska cornfield. Elephants trumpeting across Colorado’s high plains. Cheetah slouching through the West Texas scrub.

Prominent ecologists are floating an audacious plan that sounds like a “Jumanji” sequel — transplant African wildlife to the Great Plains of North America.

Their radical proposal is greeted with gasps and groans from other scientists and conservationists who recall previous efforts to relocate foreign species halfway around the world, often with disastrous results.

The authors contend it could help save Africa’s poster species from extinction, where protection is spotty and habitat is vanishing.

“We aren’t backing a truck up to some dump site in the dark and turning lose a bunch of elephants,” said Cornell University ecologist Harry W. Greene, one of the plan’s authors.

While most modern African species never lived on the American prairie, the scientists think today’s animals could duplicate the natural roles played by their departed, even larger cousins — mastodons, camels and saber-toothed cats — that roamed for more than 1 million years alongside antelope and bison.

But the scientists’ plan, which appears in today’s issue of the journal Nature, is triggering thunderclaps of criticism, with discouraging words such as “stupid” and “defeatist” raining down.

Critics point to Australia, which was overrun by rabbits and poisonous cane toads after misguided species relocations.

Some conservationists said the plan would further damage the prospects of African species on their native turf, as well as that continent’s hopes for sustainable economic development.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
We have a really really big problem with cane toads. Damn things are indestructible.

Big herbivores are a good idea though. While elephants cause serious damage to forests and hippos are violent and territorial, giraffes, antelopes, and zebras should be fine.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Of course, if you bring in giraffes, antelopes, and zebras w/o predators. they'll probably overrun the native herbiviores like deer, Buffalo, etc.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
This just does not sound like a good plan.

We all wear a green carnation.
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Quote:

We have a really really big problem with cane toads. Damn things are indestructible.

Sey hello to Mr. Sledgehammer.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
"Say hello to my leeeetle frien'..."

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Yeah, for some reason, all I can think of is the scientists in movies like "Jurassic Park" telling us how "nothing can go wrong" right before it all goes to hell.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:

I fuckin' hear that. I had to live in Hawaii and Arizona for awhile. Friggin' breeding grounds for cain toads. They almost killed my dog.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Yeah, for some reason, all I can think of is the scientists in movies like "Jurassic Park" telling us how "nothing can go wrong" right before it all goes to hell.

They killed lawyer in that one, you know.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
At which point it all went to hell, remember?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
It was on its way before that.

But you know...I was thinking...this move to the Great Plains of various African animals...it might be necessary if we are to preseve these species on the planet. If they and their habitats are being systematically destroyed in Africa, perhaps this is a means of preserving the species.

We all wear a green carnation.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
And there's plenty of Christians to feed them!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Poverty Lad said:
And there's plenty of Christians to feed them!

Send them to San Francisco! We could use them to clean out the last vestiges of Christians here! Mop 'em up and we can all fuck each other in peace!

Link Copied to Clipboard