Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#560502 2005-08-25 3:18 AM
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Anti-war protestors besieged wounded and disabled soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C, a new web report will claim!

CNSNews.com is planning to run an expose on Thursday featuring interviews with both protestors and veterans, as well as shots of protest signs with slogans like “Maimed for a Lie.”

The conservative outlet will post video evidence of the wounded veterans being taunted by protesters, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Developing late...

If this story unfolds and reveals to be half as bad as it claims we're going to see a bunch of back-peddling from a few (the few beig all one person) of our left leaning posters. Better begin the damage controll now boys. er, I mean, Whomod.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just as spitting on American troops and burning American flags was the Vietnam War's protestors way of "showing support", this is the modern day version.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Anti-war protestors besieged wounded and disabled soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C, a new web report will claim!

CNSNews.com is planning to run an expose on Thursday featuring interviews with both protestors and veterans, as well as shots of protest signs with slogans like “Maimed for a Lie.”

The conservative outlet will post video evidence of the wounded veterans being taunted by protesters, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Developing late...

If this story unfolds and reveals to be half as bad as it claims we're going to see a bunch of back-peddling from a few (the few beig all one person) of our left leaning posters. Better begin the damage controll now boys. er, I mean, Whomod.

okay, if all anti-war people are to be held accountable for the actions of a few anti-war protestors, then you need to be held accountable for Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell.

Bow ties are coool.
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

okay, if all anti-war people are to be held accountable for the actions of a few anti-war protestors, then you need to be held accountable for Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell.

Basically.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Whether WBAM was implying all anti-war people are like this or not (and I'm hoping he's not generalizing), the actions of these guys do make anti-war protestors as a whole (including the good ones who engage in rational debate and don't do shit like this) look bad.

Much like how the soldiers at Abu Ghraib made the entire army look bad, even though what they did wasn't representative of the army as a whole.

300+ posts
300+ posts
As a member of the left, I have this to say about that report. It is disturbing that anyone would taunt wounded soldiers and as many here have said these are the left wing equivalents of the right wing fanatics that bomb abortion clinics in the name of "life."

BUT!!! IF THE CURRENT REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION SUPPORTS THE TROOPS WHY IN THE HELL ARE THEY CLOSING A MAJOR MILITARY HOSPITAL!?!?!?!

I am waiting for an explaination.

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
25+ posts
25+ posts
Is this what you're referring to, Randall?

Quote:

Walter Reed Medical Center to Be Closed

WASHINGTON - A federal commission voted to close the crown jewel of Army hospitals as it began its second day of decision-making on sweeping plans to restructure military bases across the country.

Located in the nation's capital, century-old Walter Reed Army Medical Center has treated presidents and foreign leaders as well as veterans and soldiers, including those returning from the Iraq war.

Most of Walter Reed's work would be relocated to a more modern, expanded hospital in Bethesda, Md., that will be renamed Walter Reed in a nod to the old facility's heritage.

The nine-member panel was voting on a host of big-ticket items in its second day of votes. Later Thursday it was to begin debating the Air Force's plans, arguably the most contentious of the group, as it steamrolled through hundreds of Pentagon proposals at a brisk pace after four months of study and preparation.

Under the Walter Reed plan, most of the staff and services would move from the old hospital's main post to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, to create the expanded facility. The remaining personnel and operations would move to a community hospital at Fort Belvoir in Virginia.

The Pentagon calls this "jointness" — the services combining their strengths rather than working separately, part of an ambitious effort to save money by streamlining support services across the armed forces. Walter Reed's care is considered first-rate but the facility is showing its age, the commission found.

"Kids coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, all of them in harm's way, deserve to come back to 21st-century medical care," Commission Chairman Anthony Principi said Thursday, adding that the hospital is old. "It needs to be modernized."

One-time costs, including construction and renovations, would total $989 million. The Pentagon would save $301 million over 20 years, the commission said. The current hospital has about 185 beds, but the expanded facility would have 340.

Principi said he expected to finish all voting no later than Friday, a day earlier than planned. The commission must send its final report to President Bush by Sept. 8.

I wouldn't call closing a hospital in order to set up a bigger and better one that can provide for more people and provide them with better care a lack of support for troops.

Last edited by Methos; 2005-08-25 2:52 PM.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Methos said:
Is this what you're referring to, Snapman?

Randal_Flagg brought up the Walter Reed closing, not me.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Developing late...

Ever since the story about Pat Robertson broke Iv'e heard those on teh right do nothing but condemn what he said. It will be interesting to see how pundits on the left react to this story. It wouldn't be that far off from the harrassment that grieving parrents recieved when they tried to remove thier childrens names from the anti war demonstration at camp casey. The subject is ignored and the hypocricy not dealt with.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Snapman said:
Quote:

Methos said:
Is this what you're referring to, Snapman?

Randal_Flagg brought up the Walter Reed closing, not me.

Sorry 'bout that.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
As a member of the left, I have this to say about that report. It is disturbing that anyone would taunt wounded soldiers and as many here have said these are the left wing equivalents of the right wing fanatics that bomb abortion clinics in the name of "life."

This comparrison is alwayse brought up, but when was the most recent abortion clinic bombing. How many people were acctually involved, what major right wing leaders supported the action?

Quote:

BUT!!! IF THE CURRENT REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION SUPPORTS THE TROOPS WHY IN THE HELL ARE THEY CLOSING A MAJOR MILITARY HOSPITAL!?!?!?!

I am waiting for an explaination.

Quote:

Most of Walter Reed's work would be relocated to a more modern, expanded hospital in Bethesda, Md., that will be renamed Walter Reed in a nod to the old facility's heritage.

Looks like the left wing blogs have once again left out a critical piece of information.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Alright I stand corrected, but at the same time I do want to express that I honestly support the troops and that I think the majority of the left does as well. Part of the reason people are against this war is because they feel our soldier are being asked to sacrifice life and limb for the sake of a war that is illigitimate. However, their have been serious cutbacks in funding for vetrans throughout this war and I think it undermines the credibility of politicians who claim they support the troops when they cut their programs and benefits.

300+ posts
300+ posts
And FYI, I got the news from Yahoo, not a leftwing blog. Here is the headline and first paragraph:

Quote:

Walter Reed Medical Center to Be Closed
AP - 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - A federal commission voted to close the crown jewel of Army hospitals as it began its second day of decision-making on sweeping plans to restructure military bases across the country. Located in the nation's capital, century-old Walter Reed Army Medical Center has treated presidents and foreign leaders as well as veterans and soldiers, including those returning from the Iraq war.

Of course this doesn't excuse the fact that if I had read the next paragraph I would have discovered that it was only being relocated and upgraded. My bad.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:

This comparrison is alwayse brought up, but when was the most recent abortion clinic bombing.

I'm not sure how this applies to your argument.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
How many people were acctually involved

I'm sure a much, MUCH smaller percentage of pro-life people are bombing clinics, compared to the percentage of war protesters harassing wounded soldiers. Doesn't mean that you can't compare their actions (the bombers and harassers are both loony), or imply that this is typical of ALL war protesters.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
what major right wing leaders supported the action?

Are left wing leaders SUPPORTING harassing troops? Seriously?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The protesters that are going beyond peaceful protest certainly don't represent me. And they deserve to look bad because that is what they are. Simple no?

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Anyone bother to check this story out? I find no mention of it on ABC News, CNN, The New York Times or The Washington Post. The only place I find anything about Walter Reed protests are on Freerepublic, a right wing group, and Code Pink. You know who they are.

Code Pink holds a vigil on Friday nights in protest of unequal medical benefits to National Guard troops and regular Army troops. Back in March Code Pink also protested the way war caualties are spirited into the hospital under the cloak of night to prevent press photos of the arriving wounded. Same way they prevent photos of caskets arriving.

Protesting for greater medical benefits for veterans sure sounds like 'supporting the troops' to me!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Anyone bother to check this story out? I find no mention of it on ABC News, CNN, The New York Times or The Washington Post.

You've just described 98% of your links!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Anyone bother to check this story out? I find no mention of it on ABC News, CNN, The New York Times or The Washington Post.

You've just described 98% of your links!

Nope, I checked several other news sources, too. The only mention was on the sites of Freerepublic and Code Pink. Freerepublic engaged in a lot of name calling (Code Pinko, etc.) While Code Pink gave a statement of purpose. That's what they said and I've seen no evidence to the contrary. Feel free to enlighten me!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Snapman said:

I'm sure a much, MUCH smaller percentage of pro-life people are bombing clinics, compared to the percentage of war protesters harassing wounded soldiers. Doesn't mean that you can't compare their actions (the bombers and harassers are both loony), or imply that this is typical of ALL war protesters.

This comparison doesn't work. ALL pro-life people don't bomb clinics, nor do ALL war protesters resorts to such stupid methods--but this doesn't move the discussion forward (although how anyone could call clinic bombers "pro-life" is beyond me). And one bombing will kill more people than all harassment could ever do: the actions of each group are not comparible.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I've always thought flag burning is a reasonable form of protest, however spitting at servicement (unless you know they have specifically done something) is not.

And these people are clearly a bunch of fucks who need a kick up the arse.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Steve T said:
I've always thought flag burning is a reasonable form of protest, however spitting at servicement (unless you know they have specifically done something) is not.

Well, if you can find a documented instance of protestors actually spitting on the troops, It would be a revelation.

The Myth of the Spat-Upon Veteran

and

Myth Making and Spitting Images from Vietnam

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I was making a generalised comment in reference to a prior post.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think the real issue is that a sizeable contingent of the antiwar left may "support" the troops, insofar as they don't wish them harm, and yet does not respect the troops.

Instead, it seeks to exploit their sacrifice by describing them as "children" and as victims.

The news story that WBAM referred to in his original post definitely appears to fit that theory:

The Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., the current home of hundreds of wounded veterans from the war in Iraq, has been the target of weekly anti-war demonstrations since March. The protesters hold signs that read "Maimed for Lies" and "Enlist here and die for Halliburton." . . .

Code Pink Women for Peace, one of the groups backing anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan's vigil outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas, organizes the protests at Walter Reed as well. . . .

Kevin Pannell, who was recently treated at Walter Reed and had both legs amputated after an ambush grenade attack near Baghdad in 2004, considers the presence of the anti-war protesters in front of the hospital "distasteful."

When he was a patient at the hospital, Pannell said he initially tried to ignore the anti-war activists camped out in front of Walter Reed, until witnessing something that enraged him.

"We went by there one day and I drove by and [the anti-war protesters] had a bunch of flag-draped coffins laid out on the sidewalk. That, I thought, was probably the most distasteful thing I had ever seen. Ever," Pannell, a member of the Army's First Cavalry Division, told Cybercast News Service.

"You know that 95 percent of the guys in the hospital bed lost guys whenever they got hurt and survivors' guilt is the worst thing you can deal with," Pannell said, adding that other veterans recovering from wounds at Walter Reed share his resentment for the anti-war protesters.

"We don't like them and we don't like the fact that they can hang their signs and stuff on the fence at Walter Reed," he said. "[The wounded veterans] are there to recuperate. Once they get out in the real world, then they can start seeing that stuff (anti-war protests). I mean Walter Reed is a sheltered environment and it needs to stay that way."

The Code Pinkos, of course, have the right to express their opinions, but perhaps this is an occasion on which Congress should impose some reasonable time, place and manner restrictions. If a woman on her way to an abortion clinic is entitled not to be harassed by noisome protesters, isn't the same true of men like Kevin Pannell, who have made the penultimate sacrifice for a noble cause?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I think exploitation happens on both sides, as is distasteful no matter who does it. And hyperbole aside, I don't think losing a limb makes a war "noble"; that is something that won't be decided for years to come.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
The protesters hold signs that read "Maimed for Lies" and "Enlist here and die for Halliburton." . . .

Code Pink Women for Peace, one of the groups backing anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan's vigil outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas, organizes the protests at Walter Reed as well. . . .

And people wonder why Bush won't meet with that psycho (again).

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

Steve T said:

Well, if you can find a documented instance of protestors actually spitting on the troops, It would be a revelation.

The Myth of the Spat-Upon Veteran

and

Myth Making and Spitting Images from Vietnam

Here's a man who claimed it happened it to him.

Quote:

I am a Vietnam era vet, honorably discharged in 1969 after approximately 2 years, 10 months and 22 days of service. I was spit on, although the real deal was the name calling, especially "baby killer," and the silence. A pilot friend, on getting out, was told, not asked, when the interviewer (young) said to him, "Oh, you're a baby killer." He broke his nose and went to Paris to cool off for a year. I wound up state side. Could fly half fare in uniform. I stopped traveling in uniform because of the name calling (some spitting). Without the uniform they would just looked at the closed cropped hair and scowl. When I applied for graduate school the grad students tried to keep me out on the "fact" that I was a baby killer. If a prof hadn't gone to bat for me I would not have gotten in. And although no one dared confrom me face to face, I was told that come the revolution (and they seriously believed a socialist revolution would "soon" take place), that I would be one of the first ones they would have shot. This was not personal, just intellectual business, something that had to be done across the board.

Many of the anti-war vets in DC in the 70s were guys who did not serve in Vietnam but did want extra compensation for having served. My view was that only combat vets deserved extra. In spring 2002, while in a HS class of my last son, Vietnam came up. I corrected a fact. I was asked by students if I was in the service during Vietnam. I nodded yes. They came up and shook my hand and thanked me for my service. First time in the 32.5 years since my service ended. That summer I ran into three guys from California in town for a training camp. We got to talking and each had the same exerience: Spring of post 9/11 we were each finally thanked by people for our service.

Now, why don't you hear about the spitting, etc? Because few vets whine. And who would brag about that? That's not our deal. We mostly grinned and bore it. I am in the VA system for health care. Go to any VA hospital, and check out the medical condition of many of the Vietnam combat veterans. Dispite the amputees and other problems, I have yet to hear someone complain except or the fact that too many are not supporting the guys on the line now in Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you don't hear complaints things didn't happen. Most that I know are proud of their service even when it isn't clear to them why they were at war. And most of us who were drafted (if we survived) were of the mind that we would never want to do it again but were glad to have done it.

Note the big difference between soldiers in Vietnam wanting to go home and many soldiers today wanting to go back, including amputees. It is a different military with a different sense of purpose. The country, in my view, will be the better for it as they rotate back to the states. We still need to do better making sure their families are taken care of while they are in combat rotation. Two good places to start would be a GI Bill and GI housing at reduced interest rates for combat veterans.

Posted by: Peter Jessen | May 6, 2005 05:49 PM

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2005/05/who_spat_on_who.html

Maybe he's lying to support the Nixon administration.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I don't think the protestors are disturbing many patients. The protest takes place on Fridays weekly on the North side of the WRAMC campus, which is on Fern Street. One side of the acute care facility faces Fern but is set back about 100 meters. There are trees in between as well. The rehab facilities are on the the South side of Acute Care. A person entering the facility can do so from at least 3 other enterances. See for yourselves!

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
You can love the troops, you can care about the troops, you can sympathise with the troops, but to say you support the troops answer one simple question. Do you want the troops to succeed in thier mission?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
"Calling yourself a patriot is the last refuge for scoundrels."

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I think the real issue is that a sizeable contingent of the antiwar left may "support" the troops, insofar as they don't wish them harm, and yet does not respect the troops.

Instead, it seeks to exploit their sacrifice by describing them as "children" and as victims.

I think that this comment is bullshit. Granted, there are probably several left-wing politicians who exploit the troops for political gain by depicting them as victims which does degrade their dignity, but what politician hasn't had a few enlisted men and veterans around for the perfect photo-op.

Furthermore, some of them are children. Middle aged men don't make for good soldiers, so our country recruits from the youth and with low enlistment rates, recruiters are pressuring kids at increasingly younger ages to join-up. I'm only 27 but I know that who I am now is radically different and more mature than who I was at 17, hell even at 21. I would bet the majority of these kids don't even know who they are until they find themselves in the middle of a warzone, or busting in on some Iraqi family during a midnight raid, or while interrogating a suspected terrorist in a dim lit prision, or on midnight patrol searching for IED's.

I totally respect the situations that these young adults are thrust into. Granted, they made their choice to join the Army, but when they made that choice they believed in their country, that its aims and goals were noble that they were being called upon to truly advance the cause of freedom and democracy. That is why if they are called to put their lives on the line for me and my way of life I want it to be crystal clear to them that the reason for their service is clear and just. I want it to be obvious and indubitible that military force is necessary and that is why I want to hold this administration accountable for its decision to place them in harms way.

There are legitimitate reasons to doubt that this administration motives for starting this war were imprudent, unjust, perhaps even criminal. And because I respect that those soldiers are out there fighting for my protection, I owe it to them to stand up for them here at home. My conscience, faith, and conviction will not permit me to do otherwise. I will not let them pay for someone elses mistakes and I think a growing majority of Americans feel the same way that I do.

You can question my support for the troops. Heck, everyone of us could spare a bit more time and cash to send someone a care package or contribute to a military oriented charity. But, you got a lot of damn gaul to question our respect as a whole.

Halleuliah, Holy Shit! Where's the Tylenol.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
You can love the troops, you can care about the troops, you can sympathise with the troops, but to say you support the troops answer one simple question. Do you want the troops to succeed in thier mission?

The troops don't choose their missions, which transforms the question into, "Do you support the war?" Politics aside, people have to decide what they believe the war is for. People can wish for the well-being of the troops without ever supporting the war itself--the two are easily separated.

Tangent: is it strange or coincidental that the draft become a (relatively) hot issue during unpopular wars? Vietnam had a draft, and the White House discussed (and are still discussing) a draft to supplement troops for this war?

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

The troops don't choose their missions, which transforms the question into, "Do you support the war?" Politics aside, people have to decide what they believe the war is for. People can wish for the well-being of the troops without ever supporting the war itself--the two are easily separated.

Tangent: is it strange or coincidental that the draft become a (relatively) hot issue during unpopular wars? Vietnam had a draft, and the White House discussed (and are still discussing) a draft to supplement troops for this war?

What are troops? They enlist knowing that they don't choose the mission. They enlist with the understanding that they are willing to follow the comander and chief. If the war is a lie and a crime then you don't wish for the troops to suceed. To say you support the troops would be akin to me saying I support Democrats. I like them. I wishe them well many of my good friends are Democrats, but i don't support what they are doing as Democrats therefore while I am for the individuals I don't supprt democrats. What it is is that in order to steer the debate a crucial term has to be redefined. By the deffinition of the term "we support the troops" as it's used now you could apply it to the Nazis, because the Nazi soldiers didn't choose thier mission. Just because a word is popular doesn't mean it applies to your cause and I think it's disengebuous to redefine a word so that it does.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Soldiers are trained not to regard their missions in a personal/political way, which leads to military jargon such as "soft targets" and "collateral damage". War, however, is just as much a political as it is a military idea, so while war is fought as a continuation of diplomacy by other means, I think it's important to separate the two. Combining them often tends to combine issues that needn't be combined.

If one believes themselves to be fighting a just/right/appropriate/necessary war, that is fine. But that's a political notion advanced by the orientation of those deciding to fight said war. What is obvious at any juncture is that consensus is often impossible, leading to combating ideologies. Republicans believe that the Iraq War is justified due to reasons x,y,z, while the Democrats disagree due to reasons a,b,c. Thus, Republican A believes the war is right, and Democrat A believes the war is wrong. All that is left to examine is the way in which the war was decided upon and agreed to. Politics.

The military is a tool. They are designed that way, and with good reason: no country on Earth wants a military force with a conscience. So while no clear consensus can be reached on why the war is being waged between groups of politicians, a war is being waged. Now if someone doesn't support the politics behind the war, why should they be compelled to support the military's enforcement of said war?

So Republican A and Democrat A can't agree on whether or not the war is a good thing--why should either person (depending on their opinion of the war, it could be either one) suddenly support the troops in a war they don't believe in? Beyond the pressures of token public morality, their is no reason why that person should support the troops, except to generally want them to return home safe.

One could also assert that since we as a country are at war, we should stick together and support the troops. I don't agree with this idea, as informed public dissent can be a powerful tool in dissuading countries from entering frivolous wars. Vietnam-era protesting proved this.

If you accept the judgments handled down at Nuremberg, then soldiers have an obligation to regard the moral weight of their actions. The decision to go to war carries with it the understanding that this is the last resort. So a young German faced with the prospect of rounding up Jews and placing them in concentration camps should have realized that his actions had zero moral worth and abandoned his enterprise; many soldiers fled the German ranks during Nazi rule.

Also, I have no idea what "disengebuous" means.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:Furthermore, some of them are children.

They're old enough to vote, get married, drive cars, have sex, have abortions, have children, have jobs, pay taxes, etc.

How are they children?

Quote:

You can question my support for the troops. Heck, everyone of us could spare a bit more time and cash to send someone a care package or contribute to a military oriented charity. But, you got a lot of damn gaul to question our respect as a whole.

You will note that I was careful to say a "sizeable contingent" of the "anti-war left," not the left as a whole, or even the antiwar movement as a whole.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

They're old enough to vote, get married, drive cars, have sex, have abortions, have children, have jobs, pay taxes, etc.

How are they children?

Well... they aren't allowed to drink alcohol or rent vehicals.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Now if someone doesn't support the politics behind the war, why should they be compelled to support the military's enforcement of said war?

I agree with you. I don't think anyone shgould be compelled to support the troops. Just that you can't have it both ways. You either support them or you don't and if you don't FINE! I will still accept that you love them and care for them, but the left should stop redefining a term to suit them just because it's popular. Your sentiments were well stated, but thier not necessarily popular, which is fine, but the left should try and explain that position and make it popular rather than finding an idea that is popular and redefineing it. Oh, and I meant disengenuos. Which I don't think applies to you here.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

How are they children?

Quote:

If you've ever raised a child or spent time around them you would know that chronology and maturity are 2 different things. Yes, they do have rights that are granted because of their chronological age, but their development is another issue.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

If you've ever raised a child or spent time around them you would know that chronology and maturity are 2 different things. Yes, they do have rights that are granted because of their chronological age, but their development is another issue.

Yea, but we can't really allow our preceptions of peoples maturity decide what thier rights are.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard